返回首页

YvonnevanAmerongen_2018W-_一个重新定义老年关怀的痴呆疗养院_

This is the Hogeweyk. 这是Hogeweyk。
It's a neighborhood in a small town very near Amsterdam , in the Netherlands. 它是位于荷兰阿姆斯特丹旁边的 一个小镇的一个社区。
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; Amsterdam:n.阿姆斯特丹(荷兰首都);阿姆斯特丹(美国纽约东部城市);
There are 27 houses for six, seven people each. 这儿有27所住户,每家有6,7个人,
There's a small mall with a restaurant, a pub, a supermarket, a club room. 这儿有一个小商场,里面有一个餐厅, 一个酒吧,一个超市,和一个娱乐室。
There are streets, alleys , there's a theater. 这儿有街道和小巷, 还有一个剧场。
alleys:n.小巷,大巷(alley的复数);大街小巷;
It actually is a nursing home . 它其实是一个疗养院,
nursing home:养老院;
A nursing home for people that live with an advanced dementia and that need 24-7 care and support. 为那些患有重度痴呆的人 提供24小时的护理和关怀。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) dementia:n.[内科]痴呆;
Dementia is a terrible disease , and we still don't have any cure for it. 痴呆是一个很可怕的疾病, 而且我们目前仍然没法治愈它。
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
It's getting to be a major problem in the world, for the people, for the politicians , for the world -- it's getting to be a big problem. 它正在成为一个全世界的重大问题, 给人民,政治家 ,还有全世界 都带来了很大的问题。
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数)
We see that we have waiting lists in the nursing homes. 我们看到疗养院还有等候名单。
Most people that come to the nursing homes with dementia are women. 大部分来疗养院的痴呆患者都是女性,
And that's also because women are used to taking care of people, so they can manage to take care of their husband with dementia, but the other way around is not so easy for the gentlemen. 这也是因为女性很习惯于照顾别人, 如果她们的丈夫患了痴呆, 她们就可以照顾他们, 但反过来对丈夫们就没有那么简单。
Dementia is a disease that affects the brain. 痴呆是一种影响大脑的疾病。
The brain is confused . 患者的大脑变得十分混乱,
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
People don't know anymore what the time is, what's going on, who people are. 不知道几点了, 发生了什么事,也不认识人。
They're very confused. 他们变得非常糊涂,
And because of that confusion , they get to be anxious, depressed , aggressive . 还因此变得 焦虑,抑郁,和易怒。
confusion:n.困惑;混淆;混同;困窘; depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词) aggressive:adj.侵略性的;好斗的;有进取心的;有闯劲的;
This is a traditional nursing home. 这是一个传统的疗养院,
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
I worked there in 1992. 我1992年的时候在那里工作,
I was a care manager. 我负责照料患者。
And we often spoke together about the fact that what we were doing there was not what we wanted for our parents, for our friends, for ourselves. 我们经常会讨论, 如果我们的父母、朋友、 甚至是自己生病了, 我们不会想让他们来这里。
And one day, we said, "When we keep on saying this, nothing is going to change. 有一天,我们意识到, 我们只是一直这么说是没用的,
We are in charge here. 在这里我们做主,
We should do something about this, so that we do want to have our parents here." 我们应该做点什么, 让这里变成一个我们放心 自己父母来的地方。
We talked about that, and what we saw every day was that the people that lived in our nursing home were confused about their environment, because what they saw was a hospital-like environment, with doctors and nurses and paramedics in uniform , and they lived on a ward . 我们每天看到的是 住在这里的患者 对周边的环境感到迷茫, 因为他们看到的是像医院一样的环境, 有医生、护士、穿着制服的护理人员, 而且他们住在病房里。
paramedics:n.护理人员;医务辅助人员;(paramedic的复数) uniform:adj.统一的;一致的;相同的;始终如一的;n.制服;v.使穿制服;使成一样; ward:n.病房; v.防止;
And they didn't understand why they lived there. 他们不明白为什么他们住在这里,
And they looked for the place to get away. 他们想尽快离开。
They looked and hoped to find the door to go home again. 想要找到那个通往家的门。
And we said what we are doing in this situation is offering these people that already have a confused brain some more confusion. 我们发现,在这种情况下, 我们让这些本来就糊涂的人, 变得更糊涂了。
We were adding confusion to confusion. 我们在混乱之上增添混乱,
And that was not what these people needed. 这反而是在帮倒忙。
These people wanted to have a life, and the help, our help, to deal with that dementia. 这些人想要有一个生活, 还需要我们帮助他们来面对痴呆。
These people wanted to live in a normal house, not in a ward. 他们想生活在一个正常的房子里, 不是病房里。
They wanted to have a normal household , where they would smell their dinner on the stove in the kitchen. 他们想要一个正常的家, 想闻到厨房里炉子上 飘出的晚饭的香气,
household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的; stove:n.火炉;窑;烘房;[园]温室;v.用火炉烤[烘干];把…放入温室内培育;
Or be free to go to the kitchen and grab something to eat or drink. 或是能自己走到厨房里, 拿点什么吃的喝的。
grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物;
That's what these people needed. 这是他们所需要的,
And that's what we should organize for them. 也是我们应该给他们提供的。
organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
And we said we should organize this like at home, so they wouldn't live with a group of 15 or 20 or 30, like in a ward. 我们觉得,为了营造家的氛围, 不能让他们十几个或者几十个人 住在一起,像在病房一样,
No, a small group of people, six or seven, family-like. 他们以6-7个人为团体 住在一起,像家一样。
Like living with friends. 就好像和朋友住在一起。
And we should find a way to select people based on their ideas about life so that they did have a good chance to become friends, when they lived together. 我们应该想办法 筛选出生活兴趣相同的人, 这样他们住在一起的时候 能变成好朋友。
And we interviewed all the families of the residents about "what is important for your father," "what's important for your mother," 我们也采访了所有患者的家人, 问他们“你的爸爸重视什么?” “你的妈妈重视什么?”
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式) residents:n.居民;住院医生;房客;(resident的复数)
'"what is their life like," "what do they want." “他们的生活是什么样的?” “他们想要什么?”
And we found seven groups, and we call them lifestyle groups. 然后我们成立了7个小组, 叫做“生活方式小组”。
And for instance , we found this formal lifestyle. 比如,有一个小组的生活方式很正式,
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; formal:adj.适合正式场合的; n.(美)须穿礼服的社交集会; (口)夜礼服;
In this lifestyle, people have a more formal way of interacting with each other, a distant way. 在这种生活方式下, 大家互相交往的方式都很正式, 保持适当的距离。
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词) distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的;
Their daily rhythm starts later in the day, ends later in the day. 他们每天的生活开始得较晚, 结束得也较晚。
rhythm:n.节奏;韵律;
Classical music is more heard in this lifestyle group than in other lifestyle groups. 这个小组的人比别的小组 更喜欢听经典音乐。
Classical:adj.古典的;经典的;传统的;第一流的;n.古典音乐;
And their menu, well, is more French cuisine than traditional Dutch . 他们更喜欢法国美食, 而不是传统的荷兰美食。
cuisine:n.烹饪,烹调法; Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地;
(Laughter) (笑)
In contrary to the craftsman lifestyle. 另外一种“手艺人”的 生活方式则很不同。
contrary:adj.相反的;对立的;adv.相反地;n.相反;反面; craftsman:n.工匠;手艺人;技工;
That's a very traditional lifestyle, and they get up early in the morning, go to bed early, because they have worked hard their whole life, mostly with their hands, 这是一个很传统的生活方式, 他们很早起床,很早睡觉, 因为他们一生都在努力工作, 通常是用他们的双手为生,
very often had a very small family business, a small farm, a shop, or like Mr. B, he was a farmhand . 他们通常有一个很小的家庭生意, 一个小农场,一个小商店。 比如B先生,他曾是个农场工人。
farmhand:n.[农经]农场工人;
And he told me that he would go to his work every morning with a paper bag with his lunch and one cigar. 他告诉我,他每天早上去工作, 包里装着午饭, 还有一支雪茄。
That one cigar was the only luxury he could afford for himself. 那一支雪茄就是他能 负担得起的唯一的奢侈品。
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的; afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
And after lunch, he would have that one cigar. 吃完午饭,他就抽那支雪茄。
And until the day he died in the Hogeweyk, he was in this little shed , every day, after lunch, to smoke his cigar. 一直到他在Hogeweyk去世的那一天, 他每天午饭后都在 这个小棚子里抽雪茄。
shed:v.摆脱;去除;蜕;落;n.工棚;简易房;剪羊毛棚;挤奶棚;
This is my mother. 这是我的母亲,
She's of the cultural lifestyle, she's been living in the Hogeweyk six weeks now. 她喜欢文艺的生活方式, 她住在Hogeweyk六周了,
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的;
And that lifestyle is about traveling, meeting other people, other cultures, interest in arts and music. 这种生活方式包括旅行, 结识不同的人和不同的文化, 探索艺术和音乐。
There are more lifestyles . 还有更多别的生活方式。
lifestyles:n.生活方式(lifestyle的复数);
But that's what we talked about, and that's what we did. 这是我们设想的,也是我们最终做到的。
But that's not life in a house with a group of people, like-minded people, your own life, your own household. 但是这并不是生活的全部 ——在自己的房子里, 和一群志同道合的人在一起, 过自己的生活。
like-minded:adj.志趣相投的;具有相似意向或目的的;
There's more in life, everybody wants fun in life and a meaningful life. 生活中还有别的, 每个人都要想要有乐趣的 生活和有意义的生活,
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
We are social animals -- we need a social life. 我们都是社会动物, 我们需要社交生活。
And that's what we started. 而这就是我们所做的。
We want to go out of our house and do some shopping, and meet other people. 人们都想出门去,去购物, 认识不同的人,
Or go to the pub, have a beer with friends. 或者去酒吧,和朋友一起喝酒。
Or like Mr. W -- he likes to go out every day, see if there are nice ladies around. 或者像W先生那样——他喜欢每天出门, 看看周围有没有漂亮的姑娘。
(Laughter) (笑)
And he's very courteous to them, and he hopes for smiles and he gets them. 他对她们非常礼貌, 他想得到微笑,于是他得到了,
courteous:adj.有礼貌的;谦恭的;
And he dances with them in the pub. 他每天都在酒吧里和她们跳舞,
It's a feast every day. 每天都是一场盛宴。
feast:n.盛宴;宴会;(宗教的)节日;v.尽情享用(美味佳肴);
There are people that would rather go to the restaurant, have a wine with friends, or lunch or dinner with friends and celebrate life. 还有的人更愿意和朋友去饭店, 喝点红酒, 或者和朋友共进午餐 或晚餐,庆贺人生。
would rather:宁愿,宁可;
And my mother, she takes a walk in the park, and sits on a bench in the sun, hoping that a passerby will come and sit next to her and have a conversation about life or about the ducks in the pond . 我母亲喜欢在公园里走走, 坐在长椅上晒晒太阳, 希望一个路人会过来坐在她身旁, 和她讨论人生, 或者讨论池塘里的鸭子。
passerby:n.行人,过路人; pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池;
That social life is important. 社交生活是很重要的,
It means that you're part of society, that you belong. 它意味着你是社会的一份子,
And that's what we people need. 人们需要这种归属感,
Even if you're living with advanced dementia. 即使患有严重痴呆的人也需要。
This is what I see from my office window. 这是从我的办公室窗户看出去的景色,
And one day, I saw a lady coming from one side, and the other lady from the other side, and they met at the corner. 有一天,我看到一位女士从一边走过来, 另一位女士从另一边走过来, 她们在拐角处碰到了,
And I knew both ladies very well. 我跟她们两个都很熟,
I often saw them walking around outside. 经常看到她们在外面散步。
And now and then , I tried to have a conversation with them, but their conversation was ... 我会时不时地和她们对话, 但是她们的对话——
now and then:偶尔;有时;
rather hard to understand. 很难理解。
But I saw them meeting, and I saw them talking, and I saw them gesturing . 但我看到她们碰面、交谈, 我看到她们做手势,
gesturing:v.做手势;用动作示意;(gesture的现在分词)
And they had fun together. 她们在一起很开心,
And then they said goodbye, and each went their own way. 然后她们互相道别,继续各自行路了。
And that's what you want in life, meeting other people and being part of society. 这就是你在生活中想要的, 结识不同的人,融入社会。
And that's what I saw happening. 这也是我看到正在发生的,
The Hogeweyk has become a place where people with very advanced dementia can live, have freedom and safety, because the professionals working there and the volunteers working there know how to deal with dementia. Hogeweyk已经变成了一个 能让患有严重痴呆的人居住, 并且感到自由和安全的地方。 因为这里的专业人员和志愿者 知道如何应对痴呆,
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数)
And the professionals know how to do their professional work in a way that it fits in a natural way in the life of our residents. 这里的专业人员知道如何 既完成他们的工作, 又不影响患者的正常生活。
And that means that the management has to provide everything those people need to do their work. 这意味着管理层需要为他们提供 他们工作中需要的一切。
management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
It needs a management that dares to do this. 这需要一个敢于付诸行动的管理层,
To do things differently than we always have done in a traditional nursing home. 敢于在一个传统的疗养院里, 用不同寻常的方法做事。
We see that it works. 我们看到了它是有效的,
We think this can be done everywhere, because this is not for the rich. 我们认为这在任何地方都能实现, 因为这不是只有富人才能享受的。
We've been doing this with the same budget as any traditional nursing home has in our country. 我们的预算 和我们国家每一个传统疗养院都一样,
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
We work only with the state budget. 我们只有州政府的财政预算。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Because it has to do with thinking different, and looking at the person in front of you and looking at what does this person need now. 这需要的是改变思路, 看看你面前的人, 想想这个人现在需要什么。
And it's about a smile, it's about thinking different, it's about how you act, and that costs nothing. 这需要的是一个微笑, 需要的是换一个方式思考, 需要的是做出行动, 而这些都不需要花钱。
And there's something else: it's about making choices. 还有一点,关乎如何做选择,
It's about making choices what you spend your money on. 选择把钱花在什么地方。
I always say, "Red curtains are as expensive as gray ones." 我经常说, ”红窗帘和灰色窗帘一样贵。“
(Laughter) (笑)
It's possible, everywhere. 在任何地方,我们都能做到。
Thank you. 谢谢!
(Applause) (鼓掌)