返回首页

YassminAbdelMagied_2014X-_我的头巾对你意味着什么?_

Someone who looks like me walks past you in the street. 在街上如果有看起来和我很像的人经过你身边
Do you think they're a mother, a refugee or a victim of oppression ? 你会认为他们是母亲? 难民? 还是压迫下的受害者?
refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的; victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼;
Or do you think they're a cardiologist , a barrister or maybe your local politician ? 或者你会认为他们是心脏病专家? 法庭律师? 或者当地的政客?
cardiologist:n.心脏病学家;心脏病科医师; barrister:n.律师; (英)(有资格出席高等法庭并辩护的)专门律师; politician:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;
Do you look me up and down, wondering how hot I must get or if my husband has forced me to wear this outfit ? 你会上下打量我 猜想我该觉得有多热 或者我的丈夫是否强迫我穿成这样
outfit:n.全套服装;团队;小组;分队;v.装备;配置设备;供给服装;
What if I wore my scarf like this? 如果我把围巾戴成这样呢
What if:如果…怎么办?
I can walk down the street in the exact same outfit and what the world expects of me and the way I'm treated depends on the arrangement of this piece of cloth. 我可以装扮得完全一样走过街道 周围人对我的看法和态度 都取决于我怎么佩戴这块头巾
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) arrangement:n.安排;筹备;布置;商定;约定;改编乐曲;
But this isn't going to be another monologue about the hijab because Lord knows, Muslim women are so much more than the piece of cloth they choose, or not, to wrap their head in. 这并不是又一个关于伊斯兰妇女头巾的独白 因为上帝知道伊斯兰妇女远不是一条头巾就能代表的 无论他们是否选择佩戴
monologue:n.独白; hijab:n.希贾布(穆斯林妇女戴的面纱或头巾); Lord:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福; wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾;
This is about looking beyond your bias . 这是一个关于抛弃个人偏见的问题
bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的;
What if I walked past you and later on you'd found out that actually I was a race car engineer, and that I designed my own race car and I ran my university's race team, because it's true. 如果我走过你的身旁 之后你发现我实际上是一名赛车工程师 设计了自己的赛车组织了自己的大学赛车队呢? 因为这是真的
What if I told you that I was actually trained as a boxer for five years, because that's true, too. 如果我告诉你我其实做了五年拳击手呢? 因为这也是事实
Would it surprise you? 你会感到惊讶吗?
Why? 为什么?
Ladies and gentlemen, ultimately , that surprise and the behaviors associated with it are the product of something called unconscious bias, or implicit prejudice . 先生们 女士们 总之 你们感到的惊讶和作出的行为 是无意识里偏见的产物 或者说隐形偏见的产物
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的; implicit:adj.含蓄的;暗示的;盲从的; prejudice:n.偏见;侵害;vt.损害;使有偏见;
And that results in the ridiculously detrimental lack of diversity in our workforce , particularly in areas of influence . 结果这导致了严重有害的后果 那就是劳动力中多样性的缺乏 尤其是在具有较强影响力的领域
ridiculously:adv.可笑地;荒谬地; detrimental:adj.不利的;有害的;n.有害的人(或物);不受欢迎的求婚者; diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
Hello, Australian Federal Cabinet . 嗨 澳大利亚联邦内阁
Federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; Cabinet:n.内阁;储藏柜;陈列柜;adj.内阁的;小房间用的;玲珑的;细木工做的;
(Applause) (掌声)
Let me just set something out from the outset : 我想先讲讲这个
outset:n.开始;开端;
Unconscious bias is not the same as conscious discrimination . 无意识偏见不同于有意识的歧视
discrimination:n.歧视;区别,辨别;识别力;
I'm not saying that in all of you, there's a secret sexist or racist or ageist lurking within, waiting to get out. 我并非指在座各位都是秘密的性别歧视者或种族歧视者 或年龄歧视者你们等待着把歧视公之于众
sexist:n.性别歧视者;男性至上主义者;adj.性别主义者的;性别歧视者的; racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的; ageist:年龄歧视者; lurking:v.潜伏;潜藏;(lurk的现在分词)
That's not what I'm saying. 我并非这个意思
We all have our biases . 我们都有自己的偏见
biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式);
They're the filters through which we see the world around us. 偏见是我们观察这个世界的过滤器
filters:n.过滤器; v.过滤; (filter的第三人称单数和复数)
I'm not accusing anyone, bias is not an accusation . 我不是在指责任何人 偏见并非罪过
accusing:adj.谴责的;指责的;v.控告;控诉;谴责;(accuse的现在分词) accusation:n.控告,指控;谴责;
Rather, it's something that has to be identified , acknowledged and mitigated against. 反而我们需要意识到这些偏见 承认偏见 减轻偏见
identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词) mitigated:v.减轻;缓和;(mitigate的过去分词和过去式)
Bias can be about race, it can be about gender . 偏见可以是关于种族 可以是关于性别
gender:n.性别;
It can also be about class, education, disability . 也可以是关于阶级 教育程度 和残障
disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件;
The fact is, we all have biases against what's different, what's different to our social norms . 事实上我们都对与众不同的事物抱有偏见 对那些和社会习俗不同的事物抱有偏见
norms:n.[标准]标准,规范;基准(norm复数形式);
The thing is, if we want to live in a world where the circumstances of your birth do not dictate your future and where equal opportunity is ubiquitous , then each and every one of us has a role to play in making sure unconscious bias does not determine our lives. 问题是 如果我们希望 自己出身的环境 不会决定我们的未来 到处都是平等的机会的话 那么我们每个人都要做出努力 确保无意识偏见无法决定我们的命运
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数) dictate:v.决定;口述;支配;强行规定;n.规定;命令; ubiquitous:adj.普遍存在的;无所不在的; determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
There's this really famous experiment in the space of unconscious bias and that's in the space of gender in the 1970s and 1980s. 曾有一个着名的关于性别领域中无意识偏见的实验 那是在上世纪七八十年代
So orchestras , back in the day , were made up mostly of dudes , up to only five percent were female . 当时的交响乐团大部分都由男性组成 只有5%的女性成员
orchestras:n.管弦乐队;乐队演奏处; back in the day:在过去,在以前; dudes:花花公子;纨绔子弟;哥们(dude的名词复数); female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
And apparently , that was because men played it differently, presumably better, presumably. 显然 这是因为 人们假设男性成员演奏得更好
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; presumably:adv.大概;推测起来;可假定;
But in 1952, The Boston Symphony Orchestra started an experiment. 但在1952年 波士顿交响乐团 开始了一项实验
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市); Symphony Orchestra:n.交响乐团;
They started blind auditions . 他们开始了“盲听”选拔
auditions:n.试演; v.试演;
So rather than face-to-face auditions, you would have to play behind a screen. 演奏者在幕布后面演奏而不是进行面对面的试音
face-to-face:adj.面对面的;当面的;adv.面对面地;
Now funnily enough, no immediate change was registered until they asked the audition-ers to take their shoes off before they entered the room. 非常有趣的是 事情并没有立刻发生变化 直到演奏者被要求 在进入试音房间前脱去鞋子
funnily:adv.有趣地,滑稽地;古怪的; registered:adj.登记过的;记名的;挂号的;v.登记;注册;(register的过去式和过去分词)
because the clickity-clack of the heels against the hardwood floors was enough to give the ladies away. 因为光是鞋跟踩在硬木地板上的嗒嗒声 就足以出卖那些女性演奏者
heels:n.高跟鞋(heel的复数);脚踝;残余料;v.紧跟;给(鞋等)装跟(heel的三单形式); hardwood:n.硬木,硬木材;[植][林]阔叶树;
Now get this, there results of the audition showed that there was a 50 percent increased chance a woman would progress past the preliminary stage. 于是 试音的结果表示 女性演奏员通过试音前几关的机会 提高了50%
preliminary:n.准备;预赛;初步措施;adj.初步的;开始的;预备的;
And it almost tripled their chances of getting in. 她们最后通过的几率提高了3倍
tripled:adj.三倍的;三方的;n.三倍数;三个一组;vi.增至三倍;vt.使成三倍;
What does that tell us? 这个故事告诉了我们什么呢
Well, unfortunately for the guys, men actually didn't play differently, but there was the perception that they did. 不幸的是 我得告诉男士们男性并没有演奏得更好 只是大家这样以为罢了
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
And it was that bias that was determining their outcome . 正是这种偏见决定了他们的结果
determining:v.查明;测定;准确算出;决定;支配;裁决;(determine的现在分词) outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
So what we're doing here is identifying and acknowledging that a bias exists. 所以我们现在要做的就是 认识到 并且承认偏见是存在的
identifying:n.识别,标识;标识关系;v.识别;(identify的现在分词)
And look, we all do it. 我们都有
Let me give you an example. 让我来举个列子
A son and his father are in a horrible car accident. 一个儿子和他的父亲遭遇了一场可怕的车祸
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的,
The father dies on impact and the son, who's severely injured , is rushed to hospital. 父亲当场死亡 而身受重伤的儿子被送去了医院
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; severely:adv.严重地;严格地,严厉地;纯朴地; injured:adj.受伤的:委屈的: v.伤害,使受伤: n.伤员;
The surgeon looks at the son when they arrive and is like, "I can't operate." 当他们到达后外科医生看着儿子说 我不能进行手术
surgeon:n.外科医生;
Why? 为什么呢?
'"The boy is my son." 这个男孩是我儿子
How can that be? 怎么会呢?
Ladies and gentlemen, the surgeon is his mother. 女士 先生们 那名外科医生是他的母亲
Now hands up -- and it's okay -- but hands up if you initially assumed the surgeon was a guy? 现在举手 没有关系 但如果你最假设那名医生是男性的观众请举手。
initially:adv.最初,首先;开头; assumed:adj.假定的;假设的;v.假定;假设;认为;承担;(assume的过去分词和过去式)
There's evidence that that unconscious bias exists, but we all just have to acknowledge that it's there and then look at ways that we can move past it so that we can look at solutions. 有证据表明无意识偏见是存在的 只是我们需要承认它的存在 并寻求解决方法
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
Now one of the interesting things around the space of unconscious bias is the topic of quotas . 在无意识偏见领域有一个很有趣的话题 就是选拔问题
quotas:n.配额(quota的复数);[经管]定额,[经]限额;v.分配(quota的第三人称单数);
And this something that's often brought up. 这是经常会被提到的问题
And of of the criticisms is this idea of merit . 被诟病最多的就是有关优点这一概念
criticisms:n.批评;评论(criticism的复数形式); merit:n.价值;优点;功绩;美德;v.值得;应得;
Look, I don't want to be picked because I'm a chick, 听着 我不想因为我长得漂亮被挑选
I want to be picked because I have merit, because I'm the best person for the job. 我想因为有能力而被挑选 因为我是最适合这份工作的人
It's a sentiment that's pretty common among female engineers that I work with and that I know. 这是很多女性工程师都有的想法 至少我共事过的 我认识的都是这样
sentiment:n.感情,情绪;情操;观点;多愁善感;
And yeah, I get it, I've been there. 是啊 我理解 我也这样想过
But, if the merit idea was true, why would identical resumes , in an experiment done in 2012 by Yale, identical resumes sent out for a lab technician , why would Jennifers be deemed less compet ent , be less likely to be offered the job, and be paid less than Johns. 但如果真是这样的话 为何在耶鲁大学2012年所做的一个实验中 应聘实验室技术人员时发出的两份完全相同的简历 会使得面试人认为约翰比詹妮弗能力更高 更有可能得到工作 得到更高的工资呢
identical:adj.同一的;完全相同的;n.完全相同的事物; resumes:n.简历; v.恢复(resume的第三人称单数形式); technician:n.技术员;技师;(艺术、体育等的)技巧精湛者;
The unconscious bias is there, but we just have to look at how we can move past it. 无意识偏见的确存在 只是我们需要想办法克服它
And, you know, it's interesting, there's some research that talks about why this is the case and it's called the merit paradox . 而且 有趣的是 有过很多研究 都在讨论这类问题这被称作优点悖论
paradox:n.悖论,反论;似非而是的论点;自相矛盾的人或事;
And in organizations -- and this is kind of ironic -- in organizations that talk about merit being their primary value-driver in terms of who they hire, 对很多机构来说有点讽刺的是 那些声称雇佣人才时 首先考虑应聘者自身价值的机构
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的;
they were more likely to hire dudes and more likely to pay the guys more because apparently merit is a masculine quality. 都更倾向于雇佣男性付给男性更高工资 因为优秀显然是男性的特质
masculine:adj.男性的;阳性的;男子气概的;n.男性;阳性,阳性词;
But, hey. 但是 嘿
So you guys think you've got a good read on me, you kinda think you know what's up. 所以你们以为已经了解我了 你们以为你们知道是怎么回事
Can you imagine me running one of these? 但你们能想象我来做这件事吗
Can you imagine me walking in and being like, "Hey boys, this is what's up. This is how it's done." 你们能想象我走进屋子然后说 嘿各位 就得这样了 没办法
Well, I'm glad you can. 那好吧 我很欣慰你们能想象出来
(Applause) (掌声)
Because ladies and gentlemen, that's my day job. 因为 女士们 先生们这就是我每天的工作
And the cool thing about it is that it's pretty entertaining. 其中好的一点就是这做起来挺愉快的
Actually, in places like Malaysia, 其实 在马来西亚这类地方
Muslim women on rigs isn't even comment-worthy. 船上的穆斯林女人不足为奇
rigs:abbr.无线电惯性制导系统(RadioInertialGuidanceSystem);
There are that many of them. 因为她们比比皆是
But, it is entertaining. 但是 有时候挺有趣的
I remember, I was telling one of the guys, "Hey, mate, look, I really want to learn how to surf ." 我记得 我对一个男人说 嘿 老兄 我真的很想学冲浪
surf:v.冲浪;进行冲浪运动;(互联网上)浏览;n.激浪;拍岸浪花;
And he's like, "Yassmin, I don't know how you can surf with all that gear you've got on, and I don't know any women-only beaches." 然后他说Yassmin 我真的不知道你该怎么冲浪 因为你穿成那样 而且我也不知道有只允许女人去的海滩
gear:n.齿轮; v.适合;
And then, the guy came up with a brilliant idea, he was like, "I know, you run that organization 紧接着这个人想出了一个绝妙的点子 他说我知道了 你不是在运营那个组织吗
Youth Without Borders, right? 叫 年轻无极限 对吧?
Why don't you start a clothing line for Muslim chicks in beaches. 你可以在海滩上组织一场穆斯林姑娘的时装秀嘛
You can call it Youth Without Boardshorts." 你可以管它叫年轻无泳裤
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I was like, "Thanks, guys." 于是我说谢了 兄弟
And I remember another bloke telling me that 我还记得另一个家伙对我说
bloke:n.家伙;小子;
I should eat all the yogurt I could because that was the only culture I was going to get around there. 我可以把能吃到的酸奶都吃了 因为我在那个地方只能学到这一种文化
get around:到处走走;逃避;说服;传开来(等于getround);有办法应付;有办法应付局面;
But, the problem is, it's kind of true because there's an intense lack of diversity in our workforce, particularly in places of influence. 不过 问题是 他说的没什么大错 因为我们的劳动人员队伍十分缺乏多样性 尤其是在有影响力的领域
intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
Now, in 2010, 现在 在2010年时
The Australian National University did an experiment where they sent out 4,000 identical applications to entry level jobs, essentially . 澳大利亚国立大学进行了一项实验 他们发出了4000份完全相同的申请 主要是申请一些差不多的工作结果表明
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
To get the same number of interviews as someone with an Anglo-Saxon name, if you were Chinese, you had to send out 68 percent more applications. 如果想得到和有欧美人名字的申请者一样多的面试机会 如果你是中国人你需要多申请68次
interviews:n.面试; v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈);
If you were Middle Eastern -- Abdel-Magied -- you had to send out 64 percent, and if you're Italian, you're pretty lucky, you only have to send out 12 percent more. 如果你是中东人 你需要多申请64次 如果你是意大利人还是挺幸运的 你只需要多申请12次
Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒;
In places like Silicon Valley , it's not that much better. 在硅谷之类的地方情况也不太乐观
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地);
In Google , they put out some diversity results and 61 percent white, 30 percent Asian and nine, a bunch of blacks, Hispanics , all that kind of thing. 在谷歌 人员构成大概为 61%白人 30%亚裔人9%黑人和西班牙裔人 到处都是一样
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; Hispanics:n.西班牙裔;
And the rest of the tech world is not that much better and they've acknowledged it, but I'm not really sure what they're doing about it. 整个科技行业都差不多 他们已经承认了事实 但我并不知道他们打算做点什么
The thing is, it doesn't trickle up. 情况并没有好转
trickle:v.(使)滴,淌,小股流淌;(使)慢慢走;n.细流;涓流;
In a study done by Green Park, who are a British senior exec supplier, they said that over half of the FTSE 100 companies don't have a nonwhite leader at their board level, executive or non-executive. Green Park公司是英国一家高级酒店连锁集团 它作出的一项研究显示 富时100指数中超过半数的公司 其董事层都是完全由白人组成的 无论他们有没有执行权
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; nonwhite:adj.非白人的;n.非白人; executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的;
And two out of every three don't have an executive who's from a minority . 并且在三分之二的公司中有执行权的董事 都不是来自少数种族
minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的;
And most of the minorities that are at that sort of level are non-executive board directors. 董事级别的少数族人 大多是非执行董事
minorities:n.少数(minority的复数形式);少数民族;少数族裔;
So their influence isn't that great. 所以他们的权力不大
I've told you a bunch of terrible things. 我已经给你们讲了很多坏事了
You're like, "Oh my god, how bad is that? What can I do about it?" 你们一定觉得天呐 这么惨 我能做点什么
Well, fortunately, we've identified that there's a problem. 嗯 好事就是 你们已经认识到问题的存在了
There's a lack of opportunity, and that's due to unconscious bias. 由于潜意识偏见很多人失去了机会
But you might be sitting there thinking, "I ain't brown. What's that got to do with me?" 但你们可能正在想 反正我是白人和我有什么关系呢
Let me offer you a solution . 我来告诉你吧
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
And as I've said before, we live in a world where we're looking for an ideal. 正如我刚才讲的 我们活在世上都在追求理想的世界
And if we want to create a world where the circumstances of your birth don't matter, we all have to be part of the solution. 如果我们希望 自己出身的环境不再那么重要 我们都得参与进来 一起解决
And interestingly , the author of the lab resume experiment offered some sort of a solution. 有趣的是那个实验室简历实验的作者 提出了一些解决方案
interestingly:adv.有趣地;
She said the one thing that brought the successful women together, the one thing that they had in common, was the fact that they had good mentors . 她说使成功女性聚在一起的一件事 成功女性共有的一个特点 就是她们都得到了很好的教导
mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数);
So mentoring , we've all kind of heard that before, it's in the vernacular . 教导我们差不多都听说过一些 这是方言里的说法
mentoring:n.导师;顾问;v.指导;做…的良师;(mentor的现在分词) vernacular:adj.本国的;地方的;用本地语写成的;n.本地话,方言;动植物的俗名;
Here's another challenge for you. 现在我又要给你们提出一个挑战
I challenge each and every one of you to mentor someone different. 我希望你们每人都来教导一个人
Think about it. 想想吧
Everyone wants to mentor someone who kind of is familiar , who looks like us, we have shared experiences. 每个人都想要教导一个熟悉的 和我们相似的 有共同经历的人
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
If I see a Muslim chick who's got a bit of attitude , 如果我看见一个穆斯林姑娘态度还不错
attitude:n.态度;看法;意见;姿势;
I'm like, "What's up? We can hang out." 我可能就会说怎么样 我们可以一起出去玩
You walk into a room and there's someone who went to the same school, you play the same sports, there's a high chance that you're going to want to help that person out. 你走进一间屋子看见屋里有你的校友 或者你们玩同一种运动 很可能你就会帮助那个人
But for the person in the room who has no shared experiences with you it becomes extremely difficult to find that connection. 但对于屋子里和你没有共同经历的人来说 想要找到那种联系是极其困难的
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
The idea of finding someone different to mentor, someone who doesn't come from the same background as you, whatever that background is, is about opening doors for people who couldn't even get to the damn hallway. 找一个与你不同的陌生人来教导他 找一个和你背景不同的人 无论是什么背景 这件事意味着对他人敞开大门 虽然他可能离门还有很远
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
Because ladies and gentlemen, the world is not just. 因为女士们 先生们这个世界是不公平的
People are not born with equal opportunity. 人们生来机会便不均等
I was born in one of the poorest cities in the world, Khartoum. 我生在世界上最穷的城市之一喀土穆
I was born brown, I was born female, and I was born Muslim in a world that is pretty suspicious of us for reasons I can't control. 我是棕色人种我是女人 我还是穆斯林这世界对穆斯林有太多偏见 我控制不了
suspicious:adj.可疑的;怀疑的;多疑的;
However, I also acknowledge the fact that I was born with privilege . 但是 我也同时承认我生来带有优势
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
I was born with amazing parents, 我的父母开明
I was given an education and had the blessing of migrating to Australia. 我受到良好教育 还有幸移民到澳大利亚
migrating:v.迁移;迁徙;移居(migrate的现在分词);
But also, I've been blessed with amazing mentors who've opened doors for me that I didn't even know were there. 但与此同时我还很幸运的遇见了好的指路人 他们甚至还不了解我就为我打开了门
blessed:adj.神圣的; v.求上帝降福于; (bless的过去分词和过去式)
A mentor who said to me, "Hey, your story's interesting. 一位导师曾对我说 嘿 你的故事很有趣
Let's write something about it so that I can share it with people." 我们写点什么吧这样我就能和人们分享了
A mentor who said, "I know you're all those things that don't belong on an Australian rig, but come on anyway." 另一位导师说 我知道你看起来不像澳大利亚的人 但还是来吧
And here I am, talking to you. 所以我现在才能在这里和你们说话
And I'm not the only one. 我不是唯一一个
There's all sorts of people in my communities that I see have been helped out by mentors. 在我所处的社会中有各类人们 他们都被良师拯救了我亲眼所见
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
A young Muslim man in Sydney who ended up using his mentor's help to start up a poetry slam in Bankstown and now it's a huge thing. 悉尼的一个年轻穆斯林 最后靠着导师的帮助 在班克斯镇创立了一个诗歌会 现在已经做得很大
poetry:n.诗;诗意,诗情;诗歌艺术; slam:v.(使…)砰地关上; n.猛关(或推,摔,撞等);
And he's able to change the lives of so many other young people. 他能够改变许多年轻人的生活
Or a lady here in Brisbane, an Afghan lady who's a refugee, who could barely speak English when she came to Australia, her mentors helped her become a doctor and she took our Young Queenslander of the Year Award in 2008. 还有一位布里斯班的女士 是一位阿富汗难民 刚来澳大利亚时还不怎么会说英语 她的导师帮助她成为了一名医生 她还获得了2008年的年轻昆士兰之星奖
Afghan:n.阿富汗人;阿富汗语;adj.阿富汗的;阿富汗人的; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
She's an inspiration. 她的经历十分鼓舞人
This is so not smooth. 虽然她经历了很多困难
This is me. 这个人就是我
But I'm also the woman in the rig clothes, and I'm also the woman who was in the abaya at the beginning . 但我也是一个穆斯林女人 起初穿着长袍
abaya:n.毛织物;(阿拉伯式)长袍; at the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始;
Would you have chosen to mentor me if you had seen me in one of those other versions of who I am? 如果你那时看见那样的我 你会选择成为我的导师吗
Because I'm that same person. 因为现在的我和那时的我是同一个人
We have to look past our unconscious bias, find someone to mentor who's at the opposite end of your spectrum because structural change takes time, and I don't have that level of patience . 我们需要超越自己意识不到的偏见 选择一个最不可能的人来教导 因为社会普遍的改变是需要时间的 我没有那么多的耐心
spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象; structural:adj.结构的;建筑的; patience:n.耐性,耐心;忍耐,容忍;
So if we're going to create a change, if we're going to create a world where we all have those kinds of opportunities, then choose to open doors for people. 所以如果我们想带来改变 让生活在这个世界中的人们 都能享有各种各样的机会 那么就请向他人敞开大门吧
Because you might think that diversity has nothing to do with you, but we are all part of this system and we can all be part of that solution. 因为你或许认为多样性和你无关 但我们都是多样性系统中的一部分 我们也可以一同解决现存的问题
And if you don't know where to find someone different, go to the places you wouldn't usually go. 并且 如果你不知道该去哪找不一样的人 就去你不常去的地方
If you enroll in private high school tutoring, go to your local state school or maybe just drop into your local refugee tutoring center. 如果你在私立高中上学 就去当地公立学校 或者去当地难民教育中心看看
enroll:vt.登记;使加入;把...记入名册;使入伍;vi.参加;登记;注册;记入名册; in private:私下地;秘密地; state school:n.公立学校;
Or perhaps you work at an office. 如果你在办公室工作
Take out that new grad who looks totally out of place -- 'cause that was me -- and open doors for them, not in a tokenistic way, because we're not victims, but show them the opportunities because opening up your world 就教教那个看起来格格不入的新毕业生 因为那就像我 并且为他们敞开大门 不只是做做样子而已因为这对我们没有害处 向他们展示机会 因为当你打开你的世界
grad:n.毕业生;校友; out of place:adj.不合适的;不相称的;不在适当的位置; opening up:n.解禁;开放;供开发;启用;
will make you realize that you have access to doors that they didn't even know existed and you didn't even know they didn't have. 你会意识到你所拥有的机会 是他们根本想象不到的 而你从前并不知道
Ladies and gentlemen, there is a problem in our community with lack of opportunity, especially due to unconscious bias. 女士们 先生们 我们的社会存在着缺乏机会的问题 这尤其是无意识偏见造成的
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
But each and every one one of you has the potential to change that. 但你们每个人都有能力改变它
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I know you've been given a lot of challenges today, but if you can take this one piece and think about it a little differently, because diversity is magic. 我知道你们今天已经接受很多挑战了 但希望你能想想这件事以一种不同的方式思考 因为多样性是奇妙的
And I encourage you to look past your initial perceptions because I bet you, they're probably wrong. 此外 我鼓励你们回顾自己最初的想法 因为我打赌 那些想法可能是错的
perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解; bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause)