|
|
XiyeBastida_2020-_如果你们大人不救地球,那就我们来_-
|
Dear Abuelita, |
亲爱的阿嬷: |
I know I haven't been home for a while . |
我知道我有一段时间没回家了。 |
You are in our lovely home in Mexico, and I'm here in the US, fighting for our future. |
你在我深爱的墨西哥的家里, 而我在美国这里, 为我们的未来打拼。 |
You're probably watering the roses, taking care of the peaches and making sure your turtles are well-fed . |
你可能正在给玫瑰花浇水、 照顾我们的桃子、 确定你每一只乌龟都有吃饱。 |
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时; turtles:n.海龟;龟;陆龟;水龟;鳖;(turtle的复数) well-fed:adj.吃得好的;营养足的;
|
That's one of the things I miss the most about home -- spending time with the flowers while you tell me stories about your childhood . |
那些都是我最想念家的地方—— 一边玩花花草草、 一边听你说你童年的故事。 |
As you know, we have been living in New York City since 2015. |
就像你知道的,我们从 2015 年 就住在纽约市了。 |
But life has completely changed over the past year. |
但去年,生活彻底地改变。 |
At first, New York City was about museums and parks and school and friends. |
原本的纽约市对我来说 就是参观博物馆、 逛逛公园、 上学和交朋友。 |
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
Now it serves as a web that connects me with all the other people who are organizing to save the planet. |
现在的纽约市对我来说是一个网络, 连结了我和其他组织 起来拯救地球的人。 |
You know how it started for me? |
你知道我是怎么开始的吗? |
It was Dad and his wisdom . |
是爸和他的智慧。 |
Everything you taught him, he went and taught the world. |
你教他的东西,他继续教给了全世界。 |
All of his words about the responsibility that we have as humans to live in balance with nature were passed down to me. |
他也传承给我身为人类, 我们应与大自然达成一种平衡的责任。[01:11] |
organizing:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;(organize的现在分词) wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
|
I noticed the universal disconnect to our planet and remembered what you once told me: "Leave everything better than you found it." |
我发现我们大家正在与地球脱节, 想起你曾经跟我说的话: 「你碰过的东西要比原先的还要好。」 |
I know you were talking about the dishes, but of course, that applies to the planet as well. |
我知道你那时候指的是碗盘, 但这句话当然也适用于我们的星球。 |
I didn't know what to do at first. |
一开始,我不知道该怎么办。 |
The world is so big, and it has so many bad habits. |
这个世界这么大、 坏习惯这么多, |
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的; disconnect:vt.拆开,使分离;vi.断开; applies:v.适用;申请;运用;专心;(apply的第三人称单数)
|
I didn't know how a 15-year-old was supposed to change anything, but I had to try. |
我不知道一个 15 岁的人 能改变什么, 但我得去尝试。 |
To put this philosophy into practice, |
为了实践这项理念, |
I joined the environmental club at my high school. |
我加入了高中的环境社。 |
However, I noticed that my classmates were talking about recycling and watching movies about the ocean. |
但我发现我的同学只是谈谈回收、 看看海洋影片。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词);
|
It was a view of environmentalism that was so catered towards an ineffective way of climate activism , one that blames the consumer for the climate crisis and preaches that temperatures are going up because we forgot to bring a reusable bag to the store. |
这样的环境保护观点 不过是对气候行动主义的交差了事, 就像将气候危机的责任 转嫁到消费者身上, 宣称气温会上升 是因为我们忘了带购物袋。 |
You taught me that taking care of Mother Earth is about every decision that we make as a collective . |
你教过我,我们所属群体 所做的每一个决定, 都和照顧我們的地球息息相關。 |
I am happy to tell you, Abuelita, that I changed everybody's mind in that club. |
阿嬷,我能很高兴地跟你说, 我说服了我们社团的所有人。 |
environmentalism:n.环境保护论; catered:v.提供饮食,承办酒席;迎合;(cater的过去分词和过去式) ineffective:adj.无效的,失效的;不起作用的; activism:n.行动主义;激进主义; consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; preaches:vt.说教;讲道;鼓吹;传道;反复灌输;vi.说教;讲道;鼓吹;宣扬;n.说教; collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词;
|
Instead of talking about recycling, we started to write letters to our politicians to ban soft plastic altogether. |
我们不再谈论回收, 而开始向政治家写信, 敦促他们全面禁止使用软质塑料。 |
And then, the unexpected happened: we started striking from school. |
然后,想不到的事发生了: 我们开始罢课。 |
I know you've probably seen it on the news, and maybe it's not that special anymore. |
我猜你可能已经在新闻上看过, 可能这也已经不是什么新鲜事, |
But at the time, it was a huge deal, Abuelita. |
但阿嬷,这在当时可是大事一件啊! |
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令; unexpected:adj.意外的,想不到的;
|
Imagine kids not going to school, because we want people to save the world. |
想想看孩子们不去上学, 是为了要呼吁大家拯救世界。 |
(Video) Crowd: Another world is possible! We are unstoppable ! |
(影片)群众:新世界是有可能的! 没有什么能阻止我们! |
Xiye Bastida: For the first global climate strike, which was called on by Greta Thunberg, |
西野.巴斯蒂达: 在第一次由格雷塔·通贝里 号召的全球性气候抗争中, |
I got 600 of my classmates to walk out with me. |
我找了 600 位同学跟我一起走上街头。 |
Greta Thunberg is a teenager who first started striking for climate. |
格雷塔·通贝里是第一位 为气候抗争的青少年, |
unstoppable:adj.无法阻碍的;无法停止的(副词unstoppably); global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
Her boldness inspired me, and I was shocked by the realization that youth could turn public opinion on social issues . |
她的大胆激励了我。 看到青少年也能翻转 大众对于社会议题的看法,著實震撼了我。 |
The movement exploded . |
这场运动有爆炸性。 |
(Video) Crowd: Shut it down! |
(影片)群众:停止运作! |
XB: And I became one of the main organizers for New York, the US and the world. |
西:我也成了纽约、 美国及全球的主要筹画者之一。 |
(Video) XB: What do we want? Crowd: Climate justice ! |
(影片)西:我们要什么? 群众:气候正义![03:31] |
boldness:n.大胆;冒失;显著; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) realization:n.实现;领悟; public opinion:n.舆论;民意; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) exploded:adj.分解的; v.爆炸; (explode的过去分词和过去式) organizers:n.主办单位,组织者(organizer的复数形式); justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
|
XB: When do we want it? Crowd: Now! |
西:我们什么时候要? 群众:现在就要! |
XB: I started speaking up about climate justice and Indigenous rights and intergenerational cooperation . |
西:我开始气候正义发声、 美國及全球的主要籌畫者之一。 |
That was only the beginning, though. |
但这一切都只是刚开始。 |
The busiest week of my life will forever be the week of September 20, 2019. |
我这一生最忙碌的一个礼拜 绝对是 2019 年 9 月 20 号那周。 |
Me and my friends got 300,000 people to strike for climate in New York. |
我和朋友策动了三十万人 上纽约街头,为气候抗争。 |
Indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的; intergenerational:adj.两代间的; cooperation:n.合作;配合;
|
I wish you could have been there. |
真希望你也在场。 |
We walked through Wall Street , demanding climate justice. |
我们走过华尔街,要求气候正义。 |
(Video) Crowd: No more coal, no more oil, keep the carbon in the soil! |
(影片)群众:不要煤碳、 不要石油,让碳回归土壤! |
XB: That same month, I went to the United Nations Climate Summit . |
西:同一个月, 我也去了联合国气候峰会, |
I spoke on a panel with Al Gore. |
和艾尔.高尔在同一组演讲, |
Wall Street:n.华尔街(美国纽约金融中心和证券交易所所在地); carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; United Nations:n.联合国; Summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点; panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰);
|
I met Jay Inslee and Naomi Klein and Bill McKibben and the president of the United Nations. |
还遇见了杰伊.英斯利、 娜欧米.克莱因、 比尔.麦奇本以及联合国主席。 |
It was the most amazing week of my life, because everyone I knew came together -- all my teachers, all my classmates ... |
那是我人生中最美好的一周, 因为所有我认识的人都团结起来—— 我所有的老师、同学, |
And even some of my favorite stores closed down to strike for climate. |
甚至一些我喜欢的店家 也为了气候抗争而休息不做生意。 |
If you had asked me why I did all of that, my only answer would be, "How could I not?" |
如果你问我为什么要做这些, 我唯一的答案就是: 「我怎么能不做?」 |
It's been one year since it all started for me, and it gets a little tiring at times. |
从开始到现在已经过了一年, 有的时候我会觉得有点累, |
But if there is one thing that you taught me, it's resilience . |
但你教会我韧性。 |
I remember that you went to Mexico City every day for 30 years to get money for the family. |
我记得你三十年如一日, 每天都去墨西哥城幫家裡掙錢; |
And I know that Abuelito has been going out for 20 years to protect sacred land from big companies that want to take it. |
我也知道阿嬷你二十年来, 都在保护圣地不要被财团夺取。 |
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
|
A year is nothing compared to the struggles that our family has been through. |
跟我们家经历过的那些苦难相比, 這一年不算什麼。 |
And if our struggles make the world a better place, they will make us better people. |
而且如果我们的拼搏 能让这个世界更好, 我们同时也能成为更好的人。 |
There have been some hardships , Abuelita. |
阿嬷,这过程中还是有一些困难的。 |
Out there in the world, people expect us kids to know everything, or at least they want us to. |
在外面的世界, 人们期待我们这些小孩懂所有事情, 或至少期待我们这样做。 |
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) hardships:n.艰难(hardship复数形式);困苦;
|
They ask questions and I give answers, as if I really knew how the world works. |
他们问我问题、我回答他们, 就好像我真的知道 这世界怎么运作一样; |
They want hope, and we give it. |
他们想要希望,我们也给了。 |
I have organized , written, spoken and read about climate and policy almost every day for the past year. |
过去一年里,几乎每一天我都在组织、 撰寫、演講、閱讀氣候及相關政策。 |
And I'm just a little worried that I won't be able to do enough, Abuelita. |
可是我有点烦恼,阿嬷, 担心我做得不够。 |
For me, being 18 years old and trying to save the world means being a climate activist . |
对我来说,要在 18 岁的 年纪拯救世界, 就意谓着要成为气候行动份子。 |
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式) policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子;
|
Before, maybe it meant studying to be a doctor or a politician or a researcher. |
以前,那可能代表要读书成为医师、 政治家或研究学者, |
But I can't wait to grow up and become one of those things. |
但我等不了长大成为那些人。 |
The planet is suffering, and we don't have the luxury of time anymore. |
这个星球正在受苦, 我们不再有充裕的时间。 |
Saving the world as a teenager means being good with words, understanding the science behind the climate crisis, bringing a unique perspective into the issue to stand out and forgetting about almost everything else. |
以青少年姿态拯救世界 代表要擅长语言表达、 了解气候危机背后的科学机制、 为议题带入独特的观点来令人关注, 然后舍弃剩下的所有事情。 |
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
|
But sometimes, I want to care about other things again. |
只是有的时候, 我也想再次关心别的事情; |
I want to be able to sing and dance and do gymnastics . |
我也想唱歌、跳舞、做做体操。 |
I truly feel that if all of us took care of the Earth as a practice, as a culture, none of us would have to be full-time climate activists. |
我真心的认为,如果我們大家都能將照護地球 當作日常生活的一部分, 并视其为文化的一部份, 就不会有人需要当全职气候抗争者了。 |
gymnastics:n.体操;体育;体操运动; full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
|
When businesses turn sustainable , when the power grid runs on renewable energy, when the school curriculum teaches us that taking care of the Earth is part of our humanity , maybe I can do gymnastics once again. |
当企業转为永续、 当电网使用可再生能源、 当学校课表教我们 照顾地球是人文的一种表现, 或许我就可以再次做我的体操。 |
Don't you think so, Abuelita? |
你难道不这样觉得吗,阿嬷? |
We can do this. |
我们是可以做到的。 |
All I'm trying to do with my work is give that optimistic mindset to other people. |
我的工作就是 传递这些正向思维给人们。 |
But it's been a little hard. |
但最近感到有些艰难。[07:01] |
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的; grid:n.网格;格子,栅格;输电网; renewable:adj.可再生的;可更新的;可继续的;n.再生性能源; curriculum:n.课程;总课程; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的; mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
|
There is greed , there's pride, there's money, and there's materialism . |
贪婪、 骄傲、 钱还有物质主义。 |
People make it so easy for me to talk to them, but they make it so hard for me to teach them. |
人们轻易地与我对话, 却不轻易给我教导他们的机会。 |
I want them to have the confidence to always do their best. |
如同你教我的一样, |
I want them to have the heart and the courage to love the world, just like you taught me. |
我希望他們有自信 來永遠盡自己最大努力, 希望他們有心和有勇氣去愛這個世界。 |
greed:n.贪婪,贪心; materialism:n.唯物主义;唯物论;物质主义; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
|
I wrote this letter to thank you. |
我写这封信是为了谢谢你。 |
Thank you for inviting me to love the world since the moment I was born. |
谢谢你从我出生那刻起, 就邀请我一起爱这个世界; |
Thank you for laughing at everything. |
谢谢你对每件事都微笑以对; |
Thank you for teaching me that hope and optimism are the most powerful tools we have to tackle any problem. |
谢谢你教会我, 希望与乐观是解决任何问题 最强大的工具。 |
I do this work because you showed me that resilience, love and knowledge are enough to make a difference . |
我做这件事, 是因為你讓我知道韌性、 愛和知識足以做出貢獻。 |
I want to go back to Mexico and visit you. |
我想回墨西哥找你、 |
I want to show you the pictures of the things that I have done. |
想给你看我活动的相片、 |
optimism:n.乐观;乐观主义; tackle:v.处理; n.用具; make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
I want to show you the climate legislation that we've been able to pass. |
想给你看因为我们而通过的气候法案、 |
I want to smell the flowers and fight for climate justice alongside you. |
想闻闻花香、 想跟你站在一起,为气候正义打拼。 |
Te quiero mucho. |
我好爱你。 |
I love you. |
我爱你。 |
Xiye. |
西野。[08:08] |
legislation:n.立法;法律;
|
[Te quiero mucho. Xiye.] |
【我好爱你。西野。】 |