|
|
WilliamKamkwamba_2009G-_我如何驾驭风能_
|
Thank you. |
谢谢大家 |
Two years ago I stood on the TED stage in Arusha, Tanzania. |
两年之前我站在坦桑尼亚阿鲁沙的TED讲台上 |
I spoke very briefly about one of my proudest creations . |
我先简要的说明一下我这个产品的创意 |
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地; creations:n.创作;创造物(creation的复数形式);
|
It was a simple machine that changed my life. |
这个简单的机器改变了我的生活 |
Before that time |
在我发明它之前 |
I had never been away from my home in Malawi . |
我从来没有离开过 我在马拉维的家 |
Malawi:n.马拉维(非洲国家);
|
I had never used a computer. |
那时,我即没有用过电脑 |
I had never seen an Internet. |
也没有网络 |
On the stage that day, I was so nervous. |
上次我站在讲台的时候很紧张 |
On the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员;
|
My English lost, |
我英语说的很逊 |
I wanted to vomit . |
逊到连我都想呕吐 |
vomit:n.呕吐物;v.呕吐;吐;呕;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I had never been surrounded by so many azungu, white people. |
我从来没有被这么多 白人包围过 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
There was a story I wouldn't tell you then. |
本来这个故事我不是很想讲出来 |
But well, I'm feeling good right now. |
但我现在感觉良好 |
I would like to share that story today. |
于是决定将它给讲出来 |
We have seven children in my family. |
我们家有七个孩子 |
All sisters, excepting me. |
除了我之外都是女孩 |
This is me with my dad when I was a little boy. |
这是我和我父亲小时候的相片 |
Before I discovered the wonders of science, |
在我还没有发现奇妙的科学之前 |
I was just a simple farmer in a country of poor farmers. |
我也是一个农民 一个贫穷国家的农民 |
Like everyone else, we grew maize . |
和其他家庭一样,我们也种玉米 |
maize:adj.黄色的,玉米色的;n.玉米;黄色,玉米色;
|
One year our fortune turned very bad. |
有一年我们的收成非常差 |
fortune:n.财富;命运;运气;v.给予财富,偶然发生
|
In 2001 we experienced an awful famine . |
那是2001年,我们遭受了可怕的饥荒 |
famine:n.饥荒;
|
Within five months all Malawians began to starve to death. |
持续5个月的全国性饥荒导致很多人饿死 |
My family ate one meal per day, at night. |
我家只在每晚吃一顿饭 |
Only three swallows of nsima for each one of us. |
每人每天只能吃三口饭 |
swallows:n.燕子;咽喉(swallow的复数);v.吞下;吞没;忍受(swallow的三单形式);
|
The food passes through our bodies. |
食物完全被身体吸收 |
We drop down to nothing. |
以至于没有排泄物 |
In Malawi, the secondary school , you have to pay school fees. |
马拉维的中学 是需要缴费的 |
secondary school:中等学校;
|
Because of the hunger, I was forced to drop out of school. |
因为饥荒,我辍学了 |
I looked at my father, and looked at those dry fields. |
我看着父亲 又看着干涸的土地 |
It was the future I couldn't accept. |
我无法接受眼前这一切 |
I felt very happy to be at the secondary school. |
我非常喜欢在学校学习的日子 |
So I was determined to do anything possible to receive education. |
所以我决定要尽我一切努力去学习 去接受知识 |
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
|
So I went to a library. |
于是我去了图书馆 |
I read books, science books, especially physics. |
看了各类科学方面的图书,尤其是和物理有关的 |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
I couldn't read English that well. |
我英语不是很好 |
I used diagrams and pictures to learn the words around them. |
我利用书中的图表和图片 来学习那些词汇的含义 |
Another book put that knowledge in my hands. |
而其中的一本书改变了我 |
It said a windmill could pump water and generate electricity . |
这本书上说风车可以抽水和发电 |
windmill:n.风车;风车房;旋转玩具;直升飞机;vt.使旋转;vi.作风车般旋转; pump:n.抽水机;泵;打气筒;v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动; generate:v.产生;引起; electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
|
Pump water meant irrigation . |
抽水意味着灌溉 |
irrigation:n.灌溉;[临床]冲洗;冲洗法;
|
A defense against hunger, which we were experiencing by that time. |
这就是抵御饥饿的方法 那段时间我们开始做实验 |
So I decided I would build one windmill for myself. |
于是我决定为我们家建造一座风车 |
But I didn't have materials to use. |
但巧妇难为无米之炊 |
So I went to a scrap yard where I found my materials. |
然而,幸运的是我在废品站找到了 所需的材料 |
scrap:n.碎片;残余物;打架;少量;v.废弃;使解体;拆毁;adj.废弃的;零碎的;
|
Many people, including my mother, said I was crazy. |
很多人包括我母亲 都说我疯了 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I found a tractor fan, shock absorber , PVC pipes. |
我找到了一个拖拉机风扇 减震器还有PVC管 |
shock absorber:n.阻尼器;
|
Using a bicycle frame and an old bicycle dynamo , |
以及用一个自行车骨架 和一个旧自行车发电机 |
frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的; dynamo:n.发电机;精力充沛的人;
|
I built my machine. |
就这样,我造好了 |
It was one light at first. |
起初只有一个点火器 |
And then four lights, with switches, and even a circuit breaker, modeled after an electric bell. |
到后来发展到四个 有开关还有断路器 从而要付电费 |
circuit:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;
|
Another machine pumps water for irrigation. |
另一个机器作为抽水机 用来灌溉 |
pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送;
|
Queues of people start lining up at my house |
人们在我家门前排着队 |
Queues:n.[数]队列;行列(queue的复数形式);v.[数]排队(queue的第三人称单数);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
to charge their mobile phone . |
来为他们的手机充电 |
mobile phone:移动电话
|
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
I could not get rid of them. |
我赶不走他们 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And the reporters came too, which lead to bloggers and which lead to a call from something called TED. |
新闻记者来我这里报道 然后在博客上传播 然后我就来到了这个叫TED的大会 |
bloggers:n.写博客的人;博客使用者;
|
I had never seen an airplane before. |
以前我从没有见过飞机 |
airplane:n.飞机;
|
I had never slept in a hotel. |
也没有睡过宾馆 |
So, on stage that day in Arusha, my English lost, |
那天在阿鲁沙的讲台上 我的英语说不好 |
I said something like, "I tried. And I made it." |
我这样说过: (很不流利的说)我试过,我成功了 |
So I would like to say something to all the people out there, like me, to the Africans, and the poor who are struggling with your dreams, |
我觉得我应为哪些像我一样的人 以及贫苦的非洲人 说些什么 那些为梦想奋斗的人们 |
God bless. |
上帝保佑你 |
Maybe one day you will watch this on the Internet. |
也许有天你会在网上看到这段视频 |
I say to you, trust yourself and believe. |
我要告诉你,要相信自己 |
Whatever happens don't give up. |
永不放弃 |
Thank you. |
谢谢大家 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |