|
|
WillMarshall_2014-_袖珍卫星展示接近实时地追踪地球的变化_
|
The Earth needs no introduction. |
地球不用我介绍。 |
It needs no introduction in part because the Apollo 17 astronauts, when they were hurtling around the moon in 1972, took this iconic image. |
不用介绍,部分是因为阿波罗17号的宇航员 在1972年奔向月球时, 拍下了这张经典照片。 |
Apollo:n.阿波罗(太阳神);美男子; hurtling:adj.飞奔的,疾驰的;v.急飞,猛烈碰撞,猛掷(hurtle的ing形式); iconic:adj.图标的,形象的;
|
It galvanized a whole generation of human beings to realize that we're on Spaceship Earth, fragile and finite as it is, and that we need to take care of it. |
这张照片震撼了整整一代人, 让大家意识到我们身处的“地球飞船” 是如此脆弱,规模也如此有限, 我们需要保护它。 |
galvanized:adj.镀锌的,电镀的;v.电镀;刺激(galvanize的过去式和过去分词形式); fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的; finite:adj.有限的;限定的;n.有限之物;
|
But while this picture is beautiful, it's static , and the Earth is constantly changing. |
不过尽管这张照片非常美丽,它是静态的, 而地球每时每刻都在变化。 |
static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰); constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
|
It's changing on days' time scales with human activity. |
随着人类活动,它的变化以天为单位。 |
scales:n.规模范围; v.攀登; (scale的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And the satellite imagery we have of it today is old. |
我们的卫星图像却是旧的。 |
imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化;
|
Typically , years old. |
通常,是好几年前的。 |
Typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地;
|
And that's important because you can't fix what you can't see. |
这点很重要,因为不知道的是无法改进的。 |
What we'd ideally want is images of the whole planet every day. |
理想中,我们需要的是地球每天的照片。 |
ideally:adv.理想地;观念上地; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
So, what's standing in our way? |
那么,为什么我们做不到? |
What's the problem? |
问题出在哪里? |
This is the problem: |
这就是问题: |
Satellites are big, expensive and they're slow. |
卫星太大,太贵,太慢。 |
This one weighs three tons. |
这个3吨重。 |
It's six meters tall, four meters wide. |
6米高,4米宽。 |
It took up the entire fairing of a rocket just to launch it. |
要发射它,需要一整枚火箭。 |
launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射;
|
One satellite, one rocket. |
一颗卫星,一枚火箭。 |
It cost 855 million dollars. |
要花费8.55亿美元。 |
Satellites like these have done an amazing job at helping us to understand our planet. |
这种卫星在我们了解地球的路上 起了极大作用。 |
But if we want to understand it much more regularly , we need lots of satellites, and this model isn't scalable . |
但如果我们想更常态地了解地球, 我们就需要很多卫星。 而这个卫星却不是可分布式的。 |
regularly:adv.经常地;有规律地;定期的 scalable:adj.可攀登的;可去鳞的;可称量的;
|
So me and my friends, we started Planet Labs to make satellites ultra-compact and small and highly capable . |
于是,我和我的朋友们创立了“行星实验室” 来让卫星袖珍化, 变小,而功能强大。 |
Labs:n.实验室;实验大楼;(lab的复数) highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
|
I'm going to show you what our satellite looks like: |
我来给你们看我们的卫星: |
This is our satellite. |
这就是我们的卫星。 |
This is not a scale model, this is the real size. |
这不是微缩模型, 这就是真实大小。 |
It's 10 by 10 by 30 centimeters , it weighs four kilograms, and we've stuffed the latest and greatest electronics and sensor systems into this little package so that even though this is really small, |
体积10×10×30立方厘米, 重4公斤, 我们还把最新最好的电子仪器 和传感器挤进了这个体积中, 所以尽管这个卫星非常小, |
centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数); stuffed:adj.饱;装满的;v.填满;装满;给…装馅;(stuff的过去分词和过去式) electronics:n.电子学;电子工业; sensor:n.传感器;
|
this can take pictures 10 times the resolution of the big satellite here, even though it weighs one thousandth of the mass . |
它拍照的分辨率比刚才大型卫星还能高10倍, 而重量只有千分之一。 |
resolution:n.解决;分辨;解析;决议; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集;
|
And we call this satellite " Dove " — Thank you. |
我们管这个卫星叫“鸽子”——谢谢。 |
Dove:n.鸽子;鸽派人士;v.潜水(dive的过去式);
|
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
We call this satellite "Dove," |
我们管这个卫星叫“鸽子”。 |
and we call it "Dove" because satellites are typically named after birds, but normally birds of prey : like Eagle, Hawk , Swoop , Kill, I don't know, |
它叫“鸽子”,因为一般卫星是用 鸟类来命名,通常是猛禽类, 像老鹰,小鹰,雄鹰,还有什么, |
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; prey:n.猎物;受害者;受骗者;v.折磨;掠夺;捕食(on,upon);损害(on,upon); Hawk:v.兜售,沿街叫卖;捕捉;咳出;n.鹰;鹰派成员;掠夺他人的人; Swoop:v.俯冲;突然袭击;突然行动;n.突然袭击;俯冲;突击搜查;
|
Kestrel , these sort of things. |
红隼,这一类的。 |
Kestrel:n.(产于欧洲的)茶隼;
|
But ours have a humanitarian mission , so we wanted to call them Doves . |
我们的卫星肩负人道主义任务, 所以我们叫“鸽子”。 |
humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; Doves:n.白鸽(dove的复数);菜包肉末饭;
|
And we haven't just built them, though. |
我们不仅仅进行了生产, |
We've launched them. |
我们还进行了发射。 |
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
|
And not just one, but many. |
不只是一个,好多个。 |
It all started in our garage . |
这一切都是从我们的车库中开始的。 |
garage:n.车库;汽车修理厂;飞机库;v.把…送入车库;把(汽车)开进车库;
|
Yes, we built our first satellite prototype in our garage. |
是的,我们第一个原型卫星就是在车库里制作的。 |
prototype:n.原型;雏形;最初形态;
|
Now, this is pretty normal for a Silicon Valley company that we are, but we believe it's the first time for a space company. |
这在我们这种硅谷公司中很常见, 但对于航天公司来说,我相信我们是第一个。 |
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地);
|
And that's not the only trick we learned from Silicon Valley. |
我们从硅谷不仅仅学到了这一点。 |
We rapidly prototype our satellites. |
我们还将卫星快速原型化。 |
We use " release early, release often" on our software. |
我们的软件遵循“早发布,多发布”原则。 |
release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
|
And we take a different risk approach . |
我们的风险意识也不同。 |
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
We take them outside and test them. |
我们把卫星拿出去试验。 |
We even put satellites in space just to test the satellites, and we've learned to manufacture our satellites at scale. |
我们甚至发射卫星到太空,只是为了试验。 我们还学会了规模化生产。 |
manufacture:v.(用机器)大量生产; n.大量制造;
|
We've used modern production techniques so we can build large numbers of them, |
我们使用现代生产技术, 大批量进行建造。 |
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
I think for the first time. |
我想这是第一次。 |
We call it agile aerospace , and that's what's enabled us to put so much capability into this little box. |
我们管这个叫灵巧航天, 这也是为什么我们的小盒子能有这么大能力。 |
aerospace:n.航空宇宙;[航]航空航天空间; enabled:v.使得;授予…权力;(enabled是enable的过去式) capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量;
|
Now, what has bonded our team over the years is the idea of democratizing access to satellite information. |
还有,这么多年我们团队团结的纽带, 是我们对卫星数据民主化获取的认同。 |
democratizing:民主化;
|
In fact, the founders of our company, Chris, Robbie and I, we met over 15 years ago at the United Nations when they were hosting a conference about exactly that question: |
我们公司的创始人,Chris,Robbie,还有我, 我们15年前在联合国开会时认识, 当时联合国在开一个会,讨论的就是这个问题: |
founders:n.创办人;造物者(founder的复数); United Nations:n.联合国; hosting:v.主办,主持;主持;做东;(host的现在分词) conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
|
How do you use satellites to help humanity ? |
怎样用卫星促进人类发展? |
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
How do you use satellites to help people in developing countries or with climate change? |
怎样用卫星来帮助发展中国家 或应对环境变化? |
And this is what has bonded us. |
这个问题成了我们之间的纽带。 |
Our entire team is passionate about using satellites to help humanity. |
我们整个团队都想用卫星来帮助人类发展。 |
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
|
You could say we're space geeks , but not only do we care about what's up there, we care about what's down here, too. |
你可以说我们是太空极客, 但我们关心的不仅仅是天上, 我们还关心地上的事情。 |
geeks:n.奇葩(指反常的人,畸形人,野人,现也指智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的学者或知识分子);
|
I'm going to show you a video from just four weeks ago of two of our satellites being launched from the International Space Station . |
我来给你们放一段视频, 是4个星期前,我们的两颗卫星 从国际太空站上发射的场景。 |
Space Station:n.太空站;航天站;宇宙空间站;
|
This is not an animation , this is a video taken by the astronaut looking out of the window. |
这不是动画, 这是宇航员从窗口拍摄的。 |
animation:n.活泼,生气;激励;卡通片绘制;
|
It gives you a bit of a sense of scale of our two satellites. |
从中你能感到我们卫星的大小。 |
It's like some of the smallest satellites ever are being launched from the biggest satellite ever. |
这真是最小的卫星 从最大的卫星上发射。 |
And right at the end, the solar array glints in the sun. |
在视频最后,太阳板反射阳光。 |
array:n.数组,阵列;排列,列阵;大批,一系列;衣服;v.排列,部署;打扮; glints:n.闪烁;闪光;vi.闪烁;(光线)反射;闪闪发光;vt.使闪光;使发光;
|
It's really cool. Wait for it. |
超级爽。等着, |
Boom ! Yeah. It's the money shot. |
这儿!是吧。大片啊。 |
Boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So we didn't just launch two of them like this, we launched 28 of them. |
我们不仅仅是发射了这两个, 我们发射了28个。 |
It's the largest constellation of Earth-imaging satellites in human history, and it's going to provide a completely radical new data set about our changing planet. |
这是人类历史上最大的地球成像卫星群, 它能为我们不断变化的星球 提供全新的数据集。 |
constellation:n.[天]星座;星群;荟萃;兴奋丛; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
|
But that's just the beginning. |
而这只是开始。 |
You see, we're going to launch more than 100 of these satellites like these over the course of the next year. |
我们在明年将要发射 超过100个这种卫星。 |
It's going to be the largest constellation of satellites in human history. |
这将是人类历史上最大的卫星群。 |
And this is what it's going to do: |
这些卫星要做的是: |
Acting in a single-orbit plane that stays fixed with respect to the sun, the Earth rotates underneath . |
以太阳为基准,处在固定的轨道面上, 地球在卫星下面自转。 |
with respect:怀有敬意; rotates:旋转;轮流; underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
|
They're all cameras pointed down, and they slowly scan across as the Earth rotates underneath. |
所有的相机都朝下, 当地球自转时,相机就缓慢的扫描。 |
The Earth rotates every 24 hours, so we scan every point on the planet every 24 hours. |
地球24小时自转一圈, 我们24小时也就扫描一遍整个地球, |
It's a line scanner for the planet. |
就像行扫描仪一样。 |
scanner:n.[计]扫描仪;扫描器;光电子扫描装置;
|
We don't take a picture of anywhere on the planet every day, we take a picture of every single place on the planet every day. |
我们不是每天拍照一些地方, 我们是每天拍照地球上每一个地方。 |
Even though we launched these just a couple of weeks ago, we've already got some initial imagery from the satellites and I'm going to show it publicly for the first time right now. |
尽管我们发射这些才几个星期, 我们已经从卫星上获得了一些初始图像。 现在我就首次对公众进行展示。 |
initial:adj.最初的; n.(名字的)首字母; v.用姓名的首字母作标记(或签名)于;
|
This is the very first picture taken by our satellite. |
这是我们卫星的第一张照片。 |
It happened to be over UC-Davis' campus in California when we turned the camera on. |
在我们打开相机时, 卫星正处在加州大学戴维斯分校上空。 |
campus:n.(大学)校园;大学,大学生活;校园内的草地;
|
But what's even cooler is when we compare it to the previous latest image of that area, which was taken many months ago. |
更爽的是, 我们拿这个照片跟之前的卫星照片作对比, 之前的照片拍摄于几个月前。 |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
|
And the image on the left is from our satellite, and we see buildings are being built. |
左边的是我们的卫星, 能看到正在建造的建筑物。 |
The general point is that we will be able to track urban growth as it happens around the whole world in all cities, every day. |
这样我们就能实时追踪城市发展, 追踪世界上每一个城市,每一天。 |
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
|
Water as well. |
水资源也可以。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
We'll be able to see the extent of all water bodies around the whole world every day and help water security. |
我们能够每天观测全世界 的所有水域,保障水资源安全。 |
extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
|
From water security to food security. |
从水资源安全到农作物安全。 |
We'll see crops as they grow in all the fields in every farmer's field around the planet every day. |
我们可以每天看到每一个田里 正在生长的农作物, |
and help them to improve crop yield . |
来帮助他们增产。 |
improve:v.改进;改善; yield:n.产量;产出;利润;v.屈服;让步;放弃;提供;
|
This is a beautiful image that was taken just a few hours ago when the satellite was flying over Argentina . |
这张美丽的照片是 几个小时前卫星在阿根廷上空拍摄的。 |
Argentina:n.阿根廷(位于拉丁美洲);
|
The general point is there are probably hundreds and thousands of applications of this data, |
要点是, 这些数据可能有成百上千的应用方式, |
I've mentioned a few, but there's others: deforestation , the ice caps melting . |
我才只提了一些,还有其他的: 追踪森林砍伐,追踪冰盖融化。 |
deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐; melting:adj.感人的;v.(使)熔化,融化;(melt的现在分词)
|
We can track all of these things, every tree on the planet every day. |
我们每天可以追踪所有这些,以至于地球上的每棵树。 |
If you took the difference between today's image and yesterday's image, you'd see much of the world news — you'd see floods and fires and earthquakes. |
如果你来分析今天照片和昨天照片的不同, 你就可以看到很多世界新闻——洪水,火灾,地震。 |
And we have decided, therefore, that the best thing that we could do with our data is to ensure universal access to it. |
因此,我们决定,使用这些数据的最好方式, 是确保所有人都能获取。 |
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
|
We want to ensure everyone can see it. |
我们想确保所有人都能看到。 |
Thank you. (Applause) |
谢谢。(鼓掌) |
We want to empower NGOs and companies and scientists and journalists to be able to answer the questions that they have about the planet. |
我们想授权NGO,公司,科学家,记者, 让他们能够回答他们关于地球的问题。 |
empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够; journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数);
|
We want to enable the developer community to run their apps on our data. |
我们想让研发社区能够用app来获取我们的数据。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
In short, we want to democratize access to information about our planet. |
总之,我们想让我们地球信息的获取民主化。 |
democratize:vt.使民主化;使大众化;vi.民主化;大众化;
|
Which brings me back to this. |
这就回到了之前所说的。 |
You see, this will be an entirely new global data set. |
这将是全新的地球数据集。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
And we believe that together, we can help to take care of our Spaceship Earth. |
我们相信一起, 我们能够帮助保护我们的”地球飞船“。 |
And what I would like to leave you with is the following question: |
而我想给各位留下的问题是: |
If you had access to imagery of the whole planet every single day, what would you do with that data? |
如果你能获取全地球每一天的照片, 你会拿这些数据做什么? |
What problems would you solve? |
你会解决什么问题? |
What exploration would you do? |
你会进行哪些探索? |
exploration:n.探索;勘探;探险;[医]探查术;
|
Well, I invite you to come and explore with us. |
我邀请你与我们来一同探索。 |
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
|
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |