|
|
WernerReich_2019X-_犹太人大屠杀时期,我的魔术、善良和生存的故事_-
|
In the rather delightful book "The Little Prince," |
在一本读起来非常 令人愉快的书,《小王子》中, |
delightful:adj.可爱的,可喜的;令人愉快的;
|
there is a quotation , which says "It's only with the heart that one can see rightly . |
有这么一句话—— “一个人只有用心去看,才能看到真实。 |
quotation:n.报价;引用;引文;引语; rightly:adv.正确地;恰当地;公正地;合适地;
|
What is essential is invisible ." |
事情的真相只用眼睛是看不见的。” |
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
|
And while the author wrote these words sitting in a comfortable chair, somewhere in the United States, |
当这本书的作者在美国的某个地方, 坐在舒服的椅子上 写出这些文字的时候, |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
I learned this very same lesson miles away in a filthy , dirty barrack in an extermination camp in Poland . |
我在数英里外的波兰集中营 恶臭肮脏的营房中, 学着同样的一个教训。 |
filthy:adj.肮脏的;污秽的;下流的;淫秽的;adv.极其肮脏的;富得流油的; barrack:n.营房;兵舍;vt.使…驻兵营内;向…提供营房;vi.住入营房; extermination:n.消灭;根绝; Poland:n.波兰(欧洲国家);
|
It isn't the value or the size of a gift that truly matters, it is how you hold it in your heart. |
礼物的价值或大小并不重要, 真正重要的是 你如何将其牢记在心中。 |
When I was six years old, my mother, my father, my sister and myself left Jew-hating Germany, and we went to Yugoslavia. |
在我 6 岁的时候, 我和我的母亲、父亲、姐姐 一起离开了讨厌犹太人的德国, 前往南斯拉夫。 |
And we were in Yugoslavia for seven happy years, and then Germany invaded Yugoslavia and we suddenly were persecuted again, and I had to go into hiding. |
我们在那里度过了快乐的 7 年, 随后,德国入侵南斯拉夫, 突然间我们又开始遭受迫害, 我不得不躲起来以求保命。 |
invaded:v.入侵;拥入;遍布(invade的过去分词);adj.被侵入的; persecuted:v.迫害,残害,压迫;骚扰;打扰(persecute的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I was hiding for roughly two years with a couple who had worked for the resistance movement. |
我和一对参与反抗运动的夫妇 在一起住了 2 年。 |
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力;
|
And I developed films, and I made enlargements . |
那段时间,我做着 冲洗胶卷、放大照片的工作。 |
enlargements:n.放大;放大的照片;增补物;
|
One day, when I was 15 years old, |
我 15 岁的时候,有一天, |
I was arrested by the gestapo and beaten up, and, for two months, dragged through various prisons, and eventually , I ended up in a 150-year-old fortress in Czechoslovakia , which the Nazis had converted into a concentration camp . |
我被国家秘密警察(盖世太保) 逮捕并殴打。 在接下来的 2 个月, 我被拖拽着流离于不同的监狱。 最终,我来到了捷克斯洛伐克, 被关押于一个有着 150 年历史, 已经被纳粹改造成集中营的堡垒中。 |
gestapo:n.盖世太保(德国纳粹秘密警察); eventually:adv.最后,终于; fortress:n.城堡;堡垒;要塞;设防的地方; Czechoslovakia:n.(前)捷克斯洛伐克; Nazis:n.纳粹;纳粹党人(nazi的复数); converted:adj.修改的;改变信仰的;v.转变;改变信仰(convert的过去式和过去分词形式); concentration camp:n.集中营;
|
I was there for 10 months. |
我在那里呆了 10 个月。 |
I laid railroad tracks , |
我铺过铁轨, |
tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数)
|
I exterminated vermin , |
灭过害虫, |
exterminated:vt.消灭;根除; vermin:n.害虫;寄生虫;歹徒;
|
I made baskets, and after 10 months, about 2,000 of us were loaded into cattle cars, the doors were closed, and we were shipped east. |
编过篮子。 在 10 个月后, 包括我在内的 2000 人被赶上牛车, 车门一关,我们被送往东边。 |
For three days, we traveled like that, and when we were unloaded , we were smelling of urine and of feces , and we found ourselves in the Auschwitz extermination camp. |
整整 3 天的路程,我们都在牛车上。 当我们被要求下车的时候, 闻到的都是尿液粪便的气味, 我们发现自己已身处 奥斯威辛集中营。 |
unloaded:adj.[电]空载的;v.卸货;解除…的负担;倾销;(unload的过去式和过去分词) urine:n.尿; feces:n.排泄物;渣滓;
|
A camp that, by that time, had murdered already over one million people and sent them through the chimney into the sky. |
在那个时候,这一个集中营 已经谋杀了不止 100 万人, 纳粹通过烟囱把人们送上天。 |
chimney:n.烟囱;
|
We arrived, we were stripped of all of our properties, whatever we had, and were given striped uniforms , were given a tattoo on our arms, and we also were given the message that we would be there for exactly six months. |
我们到达后, 身上所有的东西都被夺走, 每个人都一丝不挂。 他们统一发放条纹制服, 并在我们的手臂上纹上编号。 他们还告知我们, 我们将在这里呆上整整 6 个月。 |
stripped:adj.剥去的;v.剥夺;脱衣;把…剪成条状;(strip的过去式和过去分词) striped:adj.有条纹的;有斑纹的;v.被剥去(strip的过去分词); uniforms:n.制服;军服;军人;v.使穿制服;(uniform的复数第三人称单词) tattoo:n.文身;连续急促的敲击;(尤指军事上的)击鼓号;v.将花纹刺在…上;给…文身;
|
And after that, we would leave the camp. |
在那之后,我们就可以离开这里—— |
Through the chimney. |
通过那个烟囱。 |
We were assigned to different barracks . |
我们被分配到不同的营房。 |
assigned:v.分配(某物);分派;指定;委派;(assign的过去分词和过去式) barracks:n.兵营,营房; v.使驻扎军营里; (澳)大声鼓噪(barrack的三单形式);
|
And the barracks were filled with wooden bunks , six people on each level, three people sleeping in one direction and three in the other direction, so whichever way you slept, you always had a pair of feet in your face . |
营房里摆满了木床, 每一层能睡 6 个人, 3 个人面朝里睡同一个方向, 另外 3 个人面朝外睡另一个方向, 所以不论你对着哪个方向睡, 总是有一双脚在你的面前。 |
wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 bunks:n.铺位(bunk的复数);v.哄骗(bunk的单数第三人称); whichever:pron.任何一个;无论哪个;adj.无论哪个;无论哪些; in your face:挑衅;咄咄逼人的;
|
The man next to me was an extremely nice gentleman, and he introduced himself as Mr. Herbert Levine. |
睡在我边上的人 是一个非常友好的绅士, 他自称为赫伯特·莱文先生。 |
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
|
Mr. Levine was kind and polite to me. |
莱文先生对我非常礼貌友善。 |
One day, when I came back from a work assignment , |
一天,我完成了 被分配的工作回到营房, |
assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务:
|
I climbed up, |
爬上床, |
I was at the top level of the three-tier bunk, and there was Mr. Levine with a deck of cards. |
我睡的是三层床的最上铺, 我看到莱文先生手上拿着一副牌。 |
three-tier:三层; deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒;
|
And he was shuffling these cards. |
他正在洗那副牌。 |
shuffling:v.拖着脚走;坐立不安;洗牌;(shuffle的现在分词)
|
And I couldn't understand it, you know, having a deck of cards in Auschwitz was like finding a gorilla in your bathroom. |
我无法理解, 在奥斯威辛里有一副牌 就好比在你的厕所里 找一只大猩猩。 |
gorilla:大猩猩
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You know, "What is he doing there?" |
“他在这里做什么?” |
And then Mr. Levine turned to me and offered me the deck, and said, "Pick a card." |
随后莱文先生转向我, 伸手将牌递到我面前, 并说:“选一张牌。” |
So I picked a card, and he performed a card trick for me. |
于是我选了张牌, 他给我表演了一个纸牌魔术, |
performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式)
|
He performed a miracle . |
仿佛展现了一个奇迹。 |
miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例;
|
And I'd never seen a card trick before, and the man who performed it was sitting right there. |
我之前从来没有看过纸牌魔术, 而且表演魔术师就坐在我跟前。 |
And then Mr. Levine did the unthinkable . |
之后莱文先生 做了件让我意想不到的事。 |
unthinkable:adj.不能想象的;过分的;
|
He actually explained the trick to me. |
他竟然向我解释了魔术中的小把戏。 |
And the words got burned into my brain. |
这些话深深烙印在了我的脑海里。 |
And I remembered every single word, and from that day on, |
我记住了其中的每一个字, 从那天起, |
I practiced that trick every day. |
我每天都在练习那个魔术把戏。 |
Although I didn't have any cards. |
即使我手中没有牌, |
I just kept on practicing. |
我也会继续练习。 |
About three weeks later, the entire camp, with the exception of a couple hundred of us, were sent to the gas chambers . |
大约在 3 周过后, 除了我和其他几百个人之外, 整个集中营剩下的人 都被送去了毒气室。 |
with the exception of:除了…以外; chambers:n.内庭(chamber的复数);
|
I was sent to another camp where I worked in the stables , and then, in January 1945, when the Russians advanced , 60,000 of us were sent on a death march. |
我被送到了另一个营地, 在那里的马厮工作。 在 1945 年 1 月, 当俄罗斯军队继续向外扩张, 我们 6 万人被迫进行了一场死亡行军。 |
stables:n.[畜牧]马厩;牛棚(stable的复数); advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式)
|
And we walked for three days, on and off, and in the middle of the winter, and by the time we arrived at a railroad siding, out of the 60,000 people, 15,000 had died. |
我们断断续续,走了有 3 天, 而且那时正值寒冬。 等我们抵达铁路岔口的时候, 6 万人中, 1.5 万人没能熬过去,丢了性命。 |
And the rest of us were loaded into open railroad cars, and for four days, shipped all the way from Poland down to Austria . |
我们剩下的这些人 全被装上一辆开放式火车车厢, 之后的 4 天, 从波兰一路南下至奥地利。 |
Austria:n.奥地利;[国]奥地利;欧洲中南部内陆国家;
|
And we found ourselves in a death camp, in a concentration camp called Mauthausen, which again was built like a fortress. |
我们发现自己又到了 一个叫毛特豪森的死亡集中营, 同样,这里有着 宛如堡垒的建筑外观。 |
And at that point, the SS abandoned us, and there was no food there, and there were thousands and thousands of bodies there. |
从那时起,党卫军抛弃了我们, 我们没有食物维生, 数千人就饿死在那里。 |
abandoned:adj.被抛弃的放纵的;v.抛弃;丢弃,离开;放弃;(abandon的过去分词和过去式)
|
I slept for three days next to a dead man, just to get his ration of a tablespoon of moldy bread. |
我在一个死去的男人边上 睡了 3 天, 就为了领取他那一勺 定量的发霉面包。 |
tablespoon:n.大调羹,大汤匙;一餐匙的量; moldy:adj.发霉的;乏味的;陈腐的;
|
And two days before the end of the war, May 5, we were liberated by American forces. |
在战争结束的 2 天前, 5 月 5 号, 我们被美军释放。 |
liberated:adj.不受传统思想束缚的,开放的; v.解放; (liberate的过去式和过去分词)
|
At that time, I was 17 years old, and I weighed 64 pounds. |
那时候,我 17 岁, 体重 64 磅。 |
And I hitchhiked back to Yugoslavia. |
我搭了个便车 |
hitchhiked:v.免费搭便车;搭顺风车(hitchhike的过去分词和过去式)
|
And when I came back to Yugoslavia, there was communism there, there was no family there and there were no friends there. |
回到南斯拉夫。 那里有共产主义, 却没有家人, 没有朋友。 |
communism:n.共产主义;
|
I stayed there for two years, and after two years, I managed to escape to England. |
我在那里呆了 2 年, 然后设法逃到了英格兰。 |
And when I came to England, |
到达英格兰的时候, |
I couldn't speak English, |
我不会说英语, |
I had no education, I had no skills. |
我没有受过教育, 也没有任何生存技能。 |
I started working, and about a year after I arrived in England, |
我开始找工作糊口。 大概在达到英格兰的 1 年后, |
I bought myself a deck of cards. |
我给自己买了一副牌。 |
And for the very first time, |
有史以来第一次, |
I actually performed the trick that was shown to me in Auschwitz on top of a bunk bed. |
我真正地表演出了 那位莱文先生在奥斯维辛木床上铺 展示给我的魔术把戏。 |
And it worked. |
而且我的表演很成功, |
It worked beautifully. |
很完美。 |
And I showed it to some friends of mine, and they loved it. |
我给一些朋友们展示了 这个纸牌魔术, 他们很喜欢。 |
And I went to a magic store, and I bought some magic tricks , and I showed them to my friends, and I bought some more magic tricks and I showed it to them. |
之后我去了个魔术用品商品, 买了一些魔术道具, 又表演给我的朋友们看, 之后我又买了更多的魔术道具 表演给我的朋友们看。 |
magic tricks:n.魔术;
|
And then I bought some magic books, and I bought some more magic books. |
再之后,我买了一些 魔术相关的书籍,越买越多。 |
There's a very, very thin line between a hobby and insanity . |
在爱好与疯狂之间 只剩一条非常模糊的界线。 |
insanity:n.疯狂;精神错乱;精神病;愚顽;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Anyway, I got married, and I came to the United States, and one of the first jobs that I had demanded from me to speak to small groups of people. |
后来我结了婚, 来到了美国, 而我在这儿的第一份工作 是对着一小群人做演讲。 |
And I managed it, I was very good at it. |
我做到了,我很擅长演讲。 |
And then, 25 years ago, I retired. |
25 年后,我退休了, |
And I started speaking in schools. |
开始在学校进行演讲。 |
And the only reason why I could speak in schools is because a very friendly man showed a rather scared kid a card trick in a concentration camp. |
我能在学校演讲的唯一原因, 是因为一位非常友好的绅士 曾经在集中营给 一个内心充满恐惧的孩子 表演了一个纸牌魔术。 |
This man who showed it to me, Mr. Levine, had been a professional magician. |
这位给我表演魔术的男人, 莱文先生, 一直是一个专业魔术师。 |
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
|
He worked in Germany, and when he came to Auschwitz, the SS knew who he was, so they gave him some cards, they gave him a piece of string , they gave him some dice , and he performed for them. |
他在德国工作, 当他去奥斯维辛的时候, 党卫军知道他的身份, 所以他们给他了一些牌, 一根绳子, 还有一些骰子, 让他给他们表演节目。 |
string:n.字符串; v.悬挂; adj.由弦乐器组成的; dice:n.骰子;色子;掷骰游戏;掷骰赌博;v.将(肉、菜等)切成小方块;将…切成丁;
|
And then he also taught some of them. |
他也给别人教了其中的一些魔术。 |
He survived the war, but his wife and his son died. |
他在战争中幸存, 但他的妻儿都没能幸免于难。 |
He came to the United States and performed in various venues , but I never met him again. |
他来到美国, 在各种活动中表演魔术, 但我从未再遇见过他。 |
venues:n.场地,场馆(venue复数形式);犯罪现场,发生地点;
|
But the trick that he showed me stayed with me and enabled me to go around schools and try to make this world just a little bit better. |
然而他展示给我的魔术 却深深扎根在我的心中, 也让我能够去各个学校演讲, 努力让这个世界变得更好一点。 |
enabled:v.使得;授予…权力;(enabled是enable的过去式)
|
So if you ever know somebody who needs help, if you know somebody who is scared, be kind to them. |
所以如果你知道某个人需要帮助, 如果你知道某个人感到害怕, 请善待他们。 |
Give them advice, give them a hug, teach them a card trick. |
给他们些建议, 一个拥抱, 教他们如何玩纸牌魔术。 |
Whatever you are going to do, it's going to be hope for them. |
不论你做什么, 对他们来讲都是一线希望。 |
And if you do it at the right time , it will enter their heart, and it will be with them wherever they go, forever. |
而且你如果在正确的时间 做这件事, 你的善意就会融入他们的内心, 永远伴随着他们,永远。 |
at the right time:在适当时候;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |