返回首页

WendySuzuki_2017W-_运动为大脑带来的益处_

What if I told you there was something that you can do right now that would have an immediate, positive benefit for your brain including your mood and your focus? 如果我告诉各位, 有件你们现在就可以做的事, 对你的大脑会立即产生正面的好处, 包括你的心情和专注都会受惠, 你会如何呢?
What if:如果…怎么办? positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛;
And what if I told you that same thing could actually last a long time and protect your brain from different conditions like depression , Alzheimer's disease or dementia . 如果我告诉各位, 这事能持续很久的时间, 并保护你的大脑免于不同的病症, 比如忧郁、阿兹海默症, 或失智症的侵扰,你会如何?
depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; dementia:n.[内科]痴呆;
Would you do it? 你们愿意做这件事吗?
Yes! 愿意!
I am talking about the powerful effects of physical activity. 我谈的是活动身体的强大效应。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
Simply moving your body, has immediate, long-lasting and protective benefits for your brain. 只要很单纯地去动你的身体, 就能对你的大脑产生立即、 持久,且有保护作用的益处,
long-lasting:adj.持续时间长的; protective:adj.防护的;关切保护的;保护贸易的;
And that can last for the rest of your life. 且持续一生。
So what I want to do today is tell you a story about how I used my deep understanding of neuroscience , as a professor of neuroscience , to essentially do an experiment on myself in which I discovered the science underlying why exercise is the most transformative thing that you can do for your brain today. 所以,今天我要跟各位说个故事, 这故事有关身为神经科学教授的我, 如何用我对于神经科学的深入了解, 在我自己身上实验, 从实验中找到科学理由来说明, 为什么在现今你能做的 所有事情当中, 运动最能改变你的大脑。
neuroscience:n.神经系统科学(指神经病学,神经化学等); essentially:adv.本质上;本来; underlying:adj.根本的; v.构成…的基础; (underlie的现在分词) transformative:adj.变化的,变形的;有改革能力的;
Now, as a neuroscientist , I know that our brains, that is the thing in our head right now, that is the most complex structure known to humankind . 身为神经科学家, 我知道我们的大脑, 也就是在我们头里面的那个东西, 是人类所知最复杂的结构。
neuroscientist:n.神经系统科学家; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造; humankind:n.人类(总称);
But it's one thing to talk about the brain, and it's another to see it. 但,谈论大脑是一回事, 看大脑又是另一回事了。
So here is a real preserved human brain. 这是一个真正保存起来的人类大脑。
preserved:v.保护;维护;保留;保存;保养;(preserve的过去式和过去分词)
And it's going to illustrate two key areas that we are going to talk about today. 它将会说明我们今天 要谈到的两个关键区域。
illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实;
The first is the prefrontal cortex , right behind your forehead , critical for things like decision-making , focus, attention and your personality . 第一个是「前额叶皮质」, 就在你的额头后面, 对决策、专注、注意力, 以及你的人格来说很重要。
prefrontal:adj.[解剖]前额的;额叶前部的;n.[解剖]额前骨; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮; forehead:n.前额; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; decision-making:n.决策; personality:n.性格;个性;人格;魅力;气质;名人;特色;
The second key area is located in the temporal lobe , shown right here. 第二个关键区域位在「颞叶」, 就在图上的这里。
located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) temporal:adj.暂时的;当时的;现世的;n.世间万物;暂存的事物; lobe:n.(脑,肺等的)叶;裂片;耳垂;波瓣;
You have two temporal lobes in your brain, the right and the left, and deep in the temporal lobe is a key structure critical for your ability to form and retain new long-term memories for facts and events. 你的大脑中有两个颞叶,一右一左, 颞叶的深处是个关键的结构, 重要功能是让你能够 针对事实和事件来形成 并维持新的长期记忆。
lobes:n.耳垂;脑叶(lobe的复数形式); retain:v.保留;保持;持有;继续拥有; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
And that structure is called the hippocampus . 那个结构就叫做「海马回」。
hippocampus:n.[解剖][脊椎]海马;马头鱼尾怪兽(神话中的一个形象);
So I've always been fascinated with the hippocampus. 我一直很迷海马回。
How could it be that an event that lasts just a moment, say, your first kiss, or the moment your first child was born, can form a memory that has changed your brain, that lasts an entire lifetime? 怎么有可能,一个短暂的事件, 比如,你的初吻, 或是你的第一个孩子出生的那一刻, 能够形成一个记忆, 这记忆能改变你的大脑, 且一生都不会忘记?
That's what I want to understand. 那是我想要了解的。
I wanted to start and record the activity of individual brain cells in the hippocampus as subjects were forming new memories. 我想要记下受试者在形成记忆时, 海马回中的 每个脑细胞的活动。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
And essentially try and decode how those brief bursts of electrical activity, which is how neurons communicate with each other, how those brief bursts either allowed us to form a new memory, or did not. 并真的试图破解那些 短暂的突升电流活动, 也就是神经元彼此沟通的方式, 那些短暂的突升怎么让我们 形成新记忆,或没形成记忆?
decode:vt.[计][通信]译码,解码;vi.从事破译工作; bursts:[天]爆发;破裂(burst的第三人称单数); electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的;
But a few years ago, I did something very unusual in science. 但几年前,我做了一件 在科学中被认为很不寻常的事。
As a full professor of neural science, 身为神经科学的正教授,
full professor:na.正教授; neural:adj.神经的;神经系统的;背的;神经中枢的;
I decided to completely switch my research program. 我决定完全转换我的研究计画。
Because I encountered something that was so amazing, with the potential to change so many lives that I had to study it. 因为我遇到了非常惊人的事, 它有潜能可以改变许多人的生命, 我得要去研究它。
encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式) potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I discovered and I experienced the brain-changing effects of exercise. 我发现且体验到 运动有改变大脑的效应。
And I did it in a completely inadvertent way. 我完全是在无意间发现的。
inadvertent:adj.疏忽的;不注意的(副词inadvertently);无意中做的;
I was actually at the height of all the memory work that I was doing -- data was pouring in, 其实当时我正处于所进行的 记忆研究工作的顶峰, 资料不断地涌入,
pouring:v.倾倒;倾泻;连续流出;倒出;喷发;(pour的现在分词)
I was becoming known in my field for all of this memory work. 在我的领域中,我开始因为 这项记忆研究而变得出名。
And it should have been going great. It was, scientifically . 本来应该很顺利。 在科学上的确很顺利。
scientifically:adv.系统地;合乎科学地;学问上;
But when I stuck my head out of my lab door, 但当我从实验室门探出头,
I noticed something. 我注意到了某件事。
I had no social life. 我没有社交生活。
I spent too much time listening to those brain cells in a dark room, by myself. 我花了太多时间, 独自在黑暗的房间中 倾听那些脑细胞。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I didn't move my body at all. 我完全没动我的身体。
I had gained 25 pounds. 我的体重增加了二十五磅。
And actually, it took me many years to realize it, 而且,我花了很多年,才了解到
I was actually miserable . 我其实很悲惨。
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
And I shouldn't be miserable. 而我不应该如此悲惨。
And I went on a river-rafting trip -- by myself, because I had no social life. 我参加一趟泛舟之旅── 自己一个人,因为我没有社交生活。
And I came back -- 接着我回来了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
thinking, "Oh, my God, I was the weakest person on that trip." 心想:「我的天, 我是那趟旅行中最弱的人。」
And I came back with a mission . 回来后我就有了一个使命。
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
I said, "I'm never going to feel like the weakest person on a river-rafting trip again." 我说:「我再也不要觉得自己是 泛舟之旅中最弱的人了。」
And that's what made me go to the gym. 这就是我上健身房的动力来源。
And I focused my type-A personality on going to all the exercise classes at the gym. 我把我的A型人格专注在 去参加健身房中所有的运动课程。
I tried everything. 我什么都尝试了,
I went to kickbox, dance, yoga , step class, and at first it was really hard. 我去试了自由搏击、 跳舞、瑜伽、阶梯课程, 一开始真的很辛苦。
yoga:n.瑜珈(意为"结合",指修行);瑜珈术;联想可360°翻转的平板电脑;
But what I noticed is that after every sweat-inducing workout that I tried, 但我注意到,在我每回尝试 会让我满身大汗的运动之后,
workout:n.锻炼;练习;试验;
I had this great mood boost and this great energy boost. 我的情绪和能量都会大大提升。
boost:n.提高;增长;帮助;激励;v.使增长;使兴旺;偷窃;
And that's what kept me going back to the gym. 这就是为什么我会 一直持续回到健身房。
Well, I started feeling stronger. 我开始感觉比较强壮了。
I started feeling better, I even lost that 25 pounds. 我开始感觉更好了, 我甚至把那二十五磅给减掉了。
And now, fast-forward a year and a half into this regular exercise program and I noticed something that really made me sit up and take notice. 现在,从我开始做日常锻炼 至今已有一年半多了, 我注意到一件事,它让我 吃惊并吸引了我的注意。
fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进;
I was sitting at my desk, writing a research grant , and a thought went through my mind that had never gone through my mind before. 我坐在桌前写研究补助申请书, 脑中浮现一个想法, 那是我以前从来没有想过的。
grant:v.授予;允许;承认;同意;n.拨款;[法]授予物;
And that thought was, "Gee, grant-writing is going well today." 那个想法就是: 「天,今天的研究补助 申请写得真顺利。」
And all the scientists -- 所有的科学家──
(Laughter) (笑声)
yeah, all the scientists always laugh when I say that, because grant-writing never goes well. 是啊,当我那么说时, 科学家都会笑出来, 因为写补助申请从来就不会顺利。
It is so hard; you're always pulling your hair out, trying to come up with that million-dollar-winning idea. 它真的很难搞,你总是要想破头, 试图提个能赢得百万美元的想法。
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
But I realized that the grant-writing was going well, because I was able to focus and maintain my attention for longer than I had before. 但我发现,补助申请能写得很顺利, 是因为我专注和维持注意力的时间, 都比以前更长。
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见);
And my long-term memory -- what I was studying in my own lab -- seemed to be better in me. 且我的长期记忆── 我的实验室的研究主题── 似乎在我身上也变得更好。
And that's when I put it together. 就在那时,我把一切都连起来了。
Maybe all that exercise that I had included and added to my life was changing my brain. 也许,我加在生活中的那些运动 在改变我的大脑。
Maybe I did an experiment on myself without even knowing it. 也许我在自己身上 做了实验而不自知。
So as a curious neuroscientist, 身为好奇的神经科学家,
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
I went to the literature to see what I could find about what we knew about the effects of exercise on the brain. 我去查研究文献, 看看有没有什么已知资讯 与运动对大脑的效应有关。
literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作;
And what I found was an exciting and a growing literature that was essentially showing everything that I noticed in myself. 我发现的文献很让人兴奋, 且还在不断增加中, 基本上,文献完全点出了 我在身上注意到的所有改变。
Better mood, better energy, better memory, better attention. 更好的心情、更高的能量、 更好的记忆、更佳的注意力。
And the more I learned, the more I realized how powerful exercise was. 我学得越多, 我就越能了解运动有多强大。
Which eventually led me to the big decision to completely shift my research focus. 最终,这导致了我做出重大决定, 完全转变我的研究重心。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
And so now, after several years of really focusing on this question, 所以,在真正投入这个问题几年后,
I've come to the following conclusion : that exercise is the most transformative thing that you can do for your brain today for the following three reasons. 我得到了下列的结论: 在现今你能做的所有事情当中, 运动最能改变你的大脑, 理由是以下三个。
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论;
Number one: it has immediate effects on your brain. 第一:运动对你的大脑 有立即的效应。
A single workout that you do will immediately increase levels of neurotransmitters like dopamine , serotonin and noradrenaline . 你做的每一次运动, 都会立即增加神经传递质的量, 如多巴胺、血清素、正肾上腺素。
neurotransmitters:n.神经传导物质(neurotransmitter的复数形式); dopamine:n.[生化]多巴胺(一种治脑神经病的药物); serotonin:n.[生化]血清素;5-羟色胺(血管收缩素); noradrenaline:n.去甲肾上腺素;降肾上腺素(等于noradrenalin);
That is going to increase your mood right after that workout, exactly what I was feeling. 这会在你运动之后 马上提升你的心情, 那正是我的感受。
My lab showed, that a single workout can improve your ability to shift and focus attention, and that focus improvement will last for at least two hours. 我的实验室显示,单一次运动 就能改善你转移和聚焦的能力, 而那专注的改善 会持续至少两个小时。
improvement:n.改进,改善;
And finally , studies have shown that a single workout will improve your reaction times which basically means that you are going to be faster at catching that cup of Starbucks that falls off the counter, which is very, very important. 最后,研究显示, 单一次运动就会改善你的反应时间, 基本上,那就表示 如果一杯星巴克咖啡从柜台滑落, 你能更快速接住它, 这点是非常非常重要的。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; Starbucks:n.星巴克(咖啡店名);
(Laughter) (笑声)
But these immediate effects are transient , they help you right after. 但这些立即的效应很短暂, 在运动刚结束时幫助你。
transient:adj.短暂的;转瞬即逝的;倏忽的;暂住的;n.暂住某地的人;过往旅客;临时工;
What you have to do is do what I did, that is change your exercise regime , increase your cardiorespiratory function, to get the long-lasting effects. 你们得要做我所做的, 也就是改变你的运动规律, 增加你的心肺功能, 才能得到持久的效应。
regime:n.政权,政体;社会制度;管理体制; cardiorespiratory:adj.心和肺的;
And these effects are long-lasting because exercise actually changes the brain's anatomy , physiology and function. 这些效应之所以能持久, 是因为运动确实能改变大脑的结构、 生理机能,以及功能。
anatomy:n.解剖;解剖学;剖析;解析; physiology:n.生理学;生理机能;
Let's start with my favorite brain area, the hippocampus. 我们从我最爱的 大脑区域海马回开始。
The hippocampus -- or exercise actually produces brand new brain cells, new brain cells in the hippocampus, that actually increase its volume , as well as improve your long-term memory, OK? 海马回── 运动确实能制造出全新的脑细胞, 海马回中新的脑细胞能增加容积, 还能改善你的长期记忆。
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的; volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本 as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
And that including in you and me. 对你我皆是如此。
Number two: the most common finding in neuroscience studies, looking at effects of long-term exercise, is improved attention function dependent or your prefrontal cortex. 第二:在神经科学研究中 最常见的研究发现, 在长期运动的效应这方面, 就是改善注意力功能, 而这功能取决于你的前额叶皮质。
improved:adj.改良的:v.改进:改善(improve的过去分词和过去式) dependent:adj.取决于;依靠的;依赖的;有瘾的;n.受赡养者;扈从;依存[从属]物;
You not only get better focus and attention, but the volume of the hippocampus increases as well. 你不但会有更佳的专注和注意力, 海马回的容量也会增加。
And finally, you not only get immediate effects of mood with exercise but those last for a long time. 最后,你做运动会得到的 不只是心情上的立即效应, 还会有长期的效应。
So you get long-lasting increases in those good mood neurotransmitters. 所以,你的好心情神经 传递质就能得持续增加。
But really, the most transformative thing that exercise will do is its protective effects on your brain. 但其实,运动能带来最大的转变, 就是对大脑产生保护效应。
Here you can think about the brain like a muscle . 可以把大脑想成是肌肉。
muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出;
The more you're working out, the bigger and stronger your hippocampus and prefrontal cortex gets. 你运动得越多, 你的海马回和前额叶皮质 就会更大、更强壮。
Why is that important? 为什么那很重要?
Because the prefrontal cortex and the hippocampus are the two areas that are most susceptible to neurodegenerative diseases and normal cognitive decline in aging. 因为前额叶皮质和海马回 这两个区域最容易因 神经退化性疾病和老化 而使得正常认知退化。
susceptible:adj.易受影响的;易感动的;容许…的;n.易得病的人; neurodegenerative:adj.神经变性的; diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类; cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降;
So with increased exercise over your lifetime, you're not going to cure dementia or Alzheimer's disease, but what you're going to do is you're going to create 在你的一生中增加运动 并不能治愈失智症或阿兹海默症, 但能创造出
the strongest, biggest hippocampus and prefrontal cortex so it takes longer for these diseases to actually have an effect. 最强壮、最大的海马回 和前额叶皮质, 所以这些疾病要更长的时间 才会对你产生实际的影响。
You can think of exercise, therefore, as a supercharged 401K for your brain, OK? 因此,你可以把运动想成是 大脑的加强版 401K 退休福利计画。
supercharged:adj.超动力的; v.过份给与;
And it's even better, because it's free. 它还更好,因为它是免费的。
So this is the point in the talk where everybody says, "That sounds so interesting, Wendy, but I really will only want to know one thing. 演说到这个时点,大家通常会说: 「温蒂,那听起来好有趣, 但我其实只想知道一件事,
And that is, just tell me the minimum amount of exercise 那就是只要告诉我 最少要做多少运动
minimum:n.最低限度;最小值;最少量;极小量;adj.最低的;最小的;最低限度的;
I need to get all these changes." 才能得到所有这些改变。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so I'm going to tell you the answer to that question. 所以,我会告诉各位 这个问题的答案。
First, good news: you don't have to become a triathlete to get these effects. 首先,好消息:你不用变成铁人三项 运动员也可以得到这些效应。
triathlete:n.参加三项全能比赛的运动员;
The rule of thumb is you want to get three to four times a week exercise and you want to get aerobic exercise in. 经验法则是,每周要运动三到四次, 且你需要做一些有氧运动。
rule of thumb:手工业方式;靠经验估计;经验法则;拇指规则;单凭经验来做的方法; aerobic:adj.需氧的;增氧健身法的;
That is, get your heart rate up. 也就是要让你的心跳升高。
And the good news is, you don't have to go to the gym to get a very expensive gym membership . 好消息是你不需要去健身房 付很贵的健身房会费。
membership:n.成员资格;(统称)会员;会员人数;
Add an extra walk around the block in your power walk. 在你健走的时候, 再额外多走一个街区。
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
You see stairs -- take stairs. 如果你看见有楼梯可走,走楼梯。
And power-vacuuming can be as good as the aerobics class that you were going to take at the gym. power-vacuuming 是很好的有氧课程选择, 如果你到健身房运动的话。
aerobics:n.有氧运动法;增氧健身法;
So I've gone from memory pioneer to exercise explorer . 所以,我从记忆的先驱拓荒者, 变成了运动探索者。
explorer:n.探险者;勘探者;考察者;
From going into the innermost workings of the brain, to trying to understand how exercise can improve our brain function, and my goal in my lab right now 从进入大脑最深处的运作活动, 变成试图了解运动 如何能改善大脑功能, 现在,我的实验室的目标
innermost:adj.内心的;最里面的,最深处的;秘密的; workings:n.作用;工作方式;操作(working的复数);
is to go beyond that rule of thumb that I just gave you -- three to four times a week, 30 minutes. 是要超越我刚刚 跟各位说的经验法则── 每周三到四次,每次三十分钟。
I want to understand the optimum exercise prescription for you, at your age, at your fitness level, for your genetic background, to maximize the effects of exercise today 我想要了解最理想的 运动处方是什么, 针对你,根据你的年龄、 你的健康程度、 你的基因背景, 来把今天的运动效应给最大化,
optimum:adj.最适宜的;n.最佳效果;最适宜条件; prescription:n.处方;药方;医生开的药;开处方; fitness:n.健康;适当;适合性; genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的; maximize:vt.取…最大值;对…极为重视;vi.尽可能广义地解释;达到最大值;
and also to improve your brain and protect your brain the best for the rest of your life. 同时把改善及保护 你的大脑做到最好, 让你一生都能受益。
But it's one thing to talk about exercise, and it's another to do it. 但,「谈」运动是一回事, 「做」运动是另一回事。
So I'm going to invoke my power as a certified exercise instructor , to ask you all to stand up. 所以,我要实行我身为 认证运动指导员的权力, 请各位都站起来。
invoke:vt.调用;祈求;引起;恳求; certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词) instructor:n.指导书;教员;指导者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
We're going to do just one minute of exercise. 我们只运动一分钟。
It's call-and-response , just do what I do, say what I say, and make sure you don't punch your neighbor, OK? 它类似「呼喊和回应」, 只要做我做的动作,说我说的话, 然后小心不要打到旁边的人,好吗?
call-and-response:呼应; punch:n.冲床; v.拳打; (用打孔器等)打孔;
Music! 音乐!
(Upbeat music) (快乐的音乐)
Five, six, seven, eight, it's right, left, right, left. 五、六、七、八,右、左、右、左。
And I say, I am strong now. 我说,我现在很强壮。
Let's hear you. 换你们说。
Audience: I am strong now. 观众:我现在很强壮。
Wendy Suzuki: Ladies, I am Wonder Woman-strong. 温蒂铃木:女士们, 我是神力女超人── 强壮。
Let's hear you! 换你们说!
Audience: I am Wonder Woman-strong. 观众:我是神力女超人── 强壮。
WS: New move -- uppercut , right and left. 温蒂:新动作── 上勾拳,右、左。
uppercut:vt.用上钩拳击;vi.击上钩拳,用上钩拳击;n.上钩拳;
I am inspired now. You say it! 我现在受到鼓舞。换你们说!
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
Audience: I am inspired now. 观众:我现在受到鼓舞。
WS: Last move -- pull it down, right and left, right and left. 温蒂:最后一个动作── 拉下来,右、左、右、左。
I say, I am on fire now! You say it. 我说,我现在如火燃烧!换你们说。
Audience: I am on fire now. 观众:我现在如火燃烧。
WS: And done! OK, good job! 温蒂:完成!好,做得好!
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
I want to leave you with one last thought. 最后我想留给各位一个想法,
And that is, bringing exercise in your life will not only give you a happier, more protective life today, but it will protect your brain from incurable diseases. 就是把运动带入你的生活 不仅让你今天更快乐、更受保护, 还能保护你的大脑, 不受无法治愈的疾病所侵害。
incurable:adj.不能治愈的;无可救药的;n.患不治之症者,不能治愈的人;
And in this way it will change the trajectory of your life for the better . 这么一来就能改变你人生的轨道, 朝着更好的方向。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道; for the better:好转,向好的方向发展;
Thank you very much. 非常谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)