返回首页

WendyMacNaughton_2021-_专注的艺术_

All right, I'm going to go out on a limb here. 我要开门见山地分享异见。
I'm going to say that every single one of us in this room made drawings when we were little. 我假设在座的各位, 在小时候都会画画。
Yes? 对吧?
Yes? OK. 好。
And maybe around the age of like, four or five or something like that, you might have been drawing, and a grown-up came over and looked over your shoulder and said, "What's that?" 也许四、五岁时, 你正在画画, 一位大人探头看向你的画, 问到:「那是什么?」[00:25]
go out on a limb:爬高枝;担风险;冒险;
And you said, "It's a face." 你说:「这是张脸。」
And they said, "That's not really what a face looks like. 大人说: 「这不像脸。
This is what a face looks like." 脸应该像这样。」
And they proceeded to draw this. 接着画了这个:
Circle, two almonds for some eyes, this upside-down seven situation we have here, and then a curved line. 一个大圆圈,两颗杏仁当眼睛, 以这个鼻子为例,是倒「7」, 接着,一条曲线。
But guess what? 但,你猜怎么着?
This doesn't really look that much like a face, OK? 这其实没有很像脸。
proceeded:v.继续做;接着做;继而做;行进;前往;(proceed的过去分词和过去式) almonds:n.[食品]杏仁;杏仁粉(almond的复数); upside-down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的; curved:adj.呈弯曲状的; v.(使)沿曲线运动;
It's an icon. 这是个图示。
It's visual shorthand , and it's how we look at so much of our world today. 是简化过的图像, 这是如今我们观察多数事物的方式。
See, we have so much information coming at us all the time, that our brains literally can't process it, and we fill in the world with patterns. 资讯爆炸, 大脑确实无法处理这资讯量, 故我们试图将所见归类。
Much of what we see is our own expectations . 我们所看到的,
visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; shorthand:n.速记;速记法;adj.速记法的; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
All right. 好的。
I'm going to show you a little trick to rewire your brain into looking again. 在此分享个诀窍, 让大脑能够重新去看。
Did you all get an envelope that says "do not open" on it? 你们都有拿到写着 「别打开」的信封吗?
Grab that envelope, it's time to open it. 拿起信封,开信时间到了!
Inside should be a piece of paper and a pencil. 里面应该有纸和铅笔。
Once you have that all prepped , please turn to somebody next to you. 都准备好之后, 请转向你旁边的人。[01:41]
rewire:vt.给…再打电报;给…换新电线;vi.再发电报;重装电线; envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹; Grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物; prepped:v.把…准备好;预备;为(患者)做手术准备;(prep的过去分词和过去式)
Ideally , somebody you don't know. 最好是陌生人。
Yeah, we're doing this, people, we're doing this. 是的,各位,我们真的要这样做。
(Laughs) (笑)
Great. 很好。
Everybody find a partner? 大家都有搭挡了吗?[01:56]
Ideally:adv.理想地;观念上地;
OK, now look back at me. 好,现在看回来我这边。
OK, now look back at me. 好,现在看回来我这边。
You are going to draw each other, OK? 你们要画彼此。
No, no, no, no, wait, wait, wait, wait. 不,等等。
I promise this is not about doing a good drawing, OK? 我保证,重点不是要画得好,好吗?
That's not what we're doing here, we're looking, this is about looking. 那不是我们要做的, 我们要看,重点是看。
Everybody's going to be terrible, I promise, don't worry. 大家都会画得很烂, 我保证,别担心。
You're going to draw each other with two very simple rules. 画彼此时,要遵守两条原则:
One, you are never going to lift your pencil up off the paper. 第一:笔尖不能离开纸面。
One continuous line. 用一条连续的线。
No, no, trust me here. 相信我。
This is about looking, OK? 重点是看,好吗?
So one continuous line never lift the pencil. 一条连续线,笔尖不离纸。
Number two, never, ever, ever look down at the paper you're drawing on, OK? 第二:绝对绝对不要 第二:绝对绝对不要[02:30]
continuous:adj.连续的,持续的;继续的;连绵不断的;
Yes, it's about looking. 是的,重点是看。
So keep looking at the person you're drawing. 所以, 持续看着你画的对象。
Now put your pencil down in the middle of the paper, OK? 现在将笔放于纸中央。好吗?
Look up at your partner. 看着你的搭挡。
Look at the inside of one of their eyes. 看进他的眼眸。
Doesn't matter which one. 哪只眼睛都行。
That's where you're going to start. 这是你的起点。
Ready? 准备好了吗?深呼吸。
Deep breath. (吸气)
(Inhales) (吸气)
And begin. 开始。
Now, just draw but notice where you are, you're starting there and you see there is a corner, maybe there's a curve there. 只管画,但注意你在看哪, 从起点看见转角, 也许有条曲线,
Notice those little lines, the eyelashes . 注意微小的线条、睫毛。
People are wearing masks, some aren't, just work with that. 有人戴口罩,有人没有,只管去画。
Now just go slow. 慢慢来。
Pay attention and draw what you see. 注意看,画出你所看见的。
And don't look down. 且别向下看。[03:14]
eyelashes:n.睫;睫毛;(eyelash的复数)
Just keep going. 继续画。
(Murmuring) (低语声)
And just five more seconds. 再五秒钟。
And stop. 停。
Look down at your beautiful drawings. 低头看看你美丽的画。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Right? 对吧?
Show your partner their incredible portrait . 给你的搭挡看看他们的美妙画像。
It's so good, right? 很棒,对吧?
I want to see them. 我也想看!
Hold them up.
Can you guys hold them up? 大家能把画举起来吗?[03:38]
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; portrait:n.肖像;描写;半身雕塑像;
Hold up, everybody. 大家都举起来。
Oh my gosh. 我的天。
Are you kidding me? 你们在开玩笑吗?
You all are amazing. 你们都好棒。
OK, you can put your drawings back down, tuck them under, put them on the paper. 好了,可以把画放下来了, 跟纸一起收好。
That was wonderful. 很美好,对吧?
I mean, they're all terrible, but they're wonderful. 是画得很烂,但很美好。
Why are they wonderful? 为什么很美好?
Because you all just drew a face. 因为你们都画了一张脸。[03:56]
tuck:塞进,折叠,卷起; n.(衣服或织物的)褶;
You drew what you saw. 你们画下亲眼所见,
You didn't draw what you think a face looks like, right? 而非画下对脸的预设。
You also just did something that people rarely do. 你们刚也做了件人们鲜少做的事。
You just made intimate eye-to-eye, face-to-face contact with someone without shying away for almost a minute. 你们刚进行了亲密的眼对眼、 面对面接触,且没因害羞而闪避, 持续了近一分钟。
Through drawing, you slowed down, you paid attention, you looked closely at someone and you let them look closely at you. 透过画画,你们慢下来了, 你们付出注意力, 你们仔细地去看一个人, 也让对方仔细地看自己。
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地; intimate:n.知己; v.暗示; adj.亲密的; face-to-face:adj.面对面的;当面的;adv.面对面地; contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
Good job. 做得好。
I have found that drawing like this creates an immediate connection like nothing else. 我发现这种绘画方式, 能马上创造连结, 是其他方式所不能比拟的。
Alright. 好的。
So I call myself an illustrator and a graphic journalist . 我自称为插画家
I draw, I tell stories. 我画图,我说故事,
I spend time with people looking and listening. 我花时间观察人群。
And I take the words of the people that I speak with and I put it together with drawings that I do, mostly from life, just like you all just did. 我将访谈对象所说的话 结合画作,题材多半来自生活, 正如你们刚所做的。
illustrator:n.插图画家;说明者;图解者; graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的; journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
I found that drawing like this does a lot of things that photography can't do. 我发现这种绘画方式, 无法全然被摄影取代。
So when somebody points a camera at you, how do you feel? 当有人拿相机对着你,感觉如何?
A little objectified , right? 有点被物化了,对吧?
When I'm drawing, I hold my sketchbook low and it keeps an open channel between me and the person I'm drawing. 我画画时会把素描本放低, 这让我和被描绘的对象 之间,保有交流的管道。
photography:n.摄影;摄影术; objectified:vt.使具体化,使客观化;体现; sketchbook:n.小品集;写生簿;随笔集;
A lot of time somebody will see me drawing and they'll get curious . 常有人看到我在画画,会好奇地走来,
They'll come over to me, and a real, authentic conversation begins. 一场真实诚摯的对话就此展开。 一场真实诚摯的对话就此展开。
Let me give you an example. 让我举个例。
So a while back, 前阵子,
I wanted to do a drawn story about how the public library serves our elders. 我想做篇图画报导, 主题是:公立图书馆如何服务长者。[05:27]
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的; authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
But after spending a few days kind of lurking around with a sketch pad , looking over older folks' shoulders and asking them what they were reading, 但花了几天,拿着绘图板四处潜伏, 从长者背后瞄去, 问他们在读什么,
I wasn't really getting the story. 我没找到想报导的故事。
Until I stumbled upon Leah. 直到我巧遇莉亚。
Leah is the first, and at the time was the only, full-time social worker dedicated to a library in the nation. 莉亚是全国第一位,也是当时唯一的 图书馆专职社工。
lurking:v.潜伏;潜藏;(lurk的现在分词) pad:n.软垫,护垫;便笺本;爪垫;肉掌;v.填充,覆盖,保护;蹑手蹑脚地走;做黑账; stumbled:v.绊脚;跌跌撞撞地走;蹒跚而行;(stumble的过去分词和过去式) full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的; social worker:n.社会工作者; dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式)
Turns out, public library definitely serves our elders. 公立图书馆的确为长者服务。
It is also a social service epicenter of a city. 它也是城市的社会服务中心。
This is Charles. 这位是查尔斯,
Charles works with Leah. 他与莉亚共事。
And he does outreach within the library to folks who are experiencing homelessness . 他在图书馆负责延伸服务, 对象是目前无家可归的人。[06:10]
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; epicenter:n.震中;中心; outreach:vt.超越,伸出; vi.拓广,延伸; n.延伸,拓广; adj.扩大服务的; homelessness:n.无家可归;
And he took me around, 他带我参观,我带着绘图板,
I carried my sketch pad and I was drawing everything I saw, and he showed me a very different library than I'd previously seen. 画下所见一切, 他让我看见截然不同的图书馆面貌。
So computers that I assumed were for checking-out books, or, you know, looking at emails, were in fact a lifeline for folks who are searching for jobs and housing. 我设想电脑是用来 借书或收电子邮件的, 对找工作和房子的人而言, 电脑其实是生命线。
The sinks in the public restroom, they are a laundromat and showers for folks who are sleeping on the street. 公共厕所的洗手槽, 街友靠它们来自助洗衣、洗澡。
previously:adv.先前;以前; assumed:adj.假定的;假设的;v.假定;假设;认为;承担;(assume的过去分词和过去式) lifeline:n.生命线;救生索; laundromat:n.(美)自助洗衣店;
A library is a safe, quiet place where anybody can go and find resources and rest for free. 图书馆是安全、宁静的地方, 任何人都可以去找资源, 去休息,且完全免费。
See, the moment I stopped looking for the story that I expected to see, an entirely new and richer truth was revealed . 当放下寻找──我预设会看见的故事时, 崭新且更为丰富的 事实便揭露在我眼前。
I found this to be true with everything and everyone I've ever drawn. 这个通则对我画过的人事物皆成立。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式)
OK, so I draw from life, right, like you guys did. 我从生活取材,就像各位刚才做的,
And so I built myself a mobile studio in the back of a swanky Honda Element -- 我为自己打造了间行动工作室, 在一台时髦的本田 Element 车的后座。
So that I could go anywhere, talk to anyone at any time and then draw and paint and sleep in the back. 这样我就能到任何地方, 在任何时间和任何人交谈, 然后在后座画画和睡觉。
It is very cozy . 非常舒适。
I was on the road in Utah , drawing and talking to people, when I spotted on the side of the road a hand-painted wooden sign. 有次我在犹他州的路上, 画画并与人交谈, 我注意到在路边 有个手绘的木制招牌。
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂; swanky:adj.炫耀的;时髦的;爱出风头的;n.活跃的帅小伙子; Honda:n.本田汽车公司; Element:n.元素;要素;原理;成分;自然环境; cozy:n.保温罩;v.蒙骗;抚慰;adj.舒适的;安逸的; Utah:n.美国犹他州; spotted:adj.有花点的;有斑点的;v.看见;看出;发现;让步;(spot的过去分词和过去式) on the side of:拥护…;站在…一边;赞助; hand-painted:adj.手工漆的,手工涂的; wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的
It said " Bootmaker ." 上面写着「靴匠」。
I stopped. 我停下来。
A tall, white, handle-barred mustache man wearing a cowboy shirt, opened the door and found me, a sketchbook-carrying, jumpsuit-wearing, urban , lefty lesbian , smiling like, waving like a dork . 有位高大、白人、穿着牛仔衫、留着两撇胡子男子, 他打开门,看到我── 带着素描簿、穿着连身服的都会左撇子女同志, 像蠢蛋一样微笑挥手。
Bootmaker:n.靴匠;制靴者; urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; lefty:n.左撇子;左翼分子; lesbian:adj.[心理]女同性恋的;n.女同性恋者; dork:n.笨蛋;呆子;阴茎;
(Laughter) (笑声)
When I spotted the stuffed cougar on the wall behind him, this vegetarian thought she knew all she needed to know about Don the bootmaker. 当我注意到他身后 墙上的填充美洲狮, 这位素食者自认为: 她已经知道靴匠老唐的一切。
But there we were. 但既来之…。
So I asked him if he'd just show me quickly a little bit about his craft . 所以我问他:
He agreed. 他同意了。
And we ended up spending the whole day together, as I drew out Don in his workshop , and he told me about the sudden death of his beloved wife, about his deep, deep grief , and about this hunting trip that he was planning, and so looking forward to taking with his son. 结果我们整天都待在一起, 当我在工作坊,画着老唐时, 他告诉我其爱妻的骤逝, 他深切的悲恸, 也告诉我计画中的打猎行程, 并期待能与儿子同行。[08:14]
stuffed:adj.饱;装满的;v.填满;装满;给…装馅;(stuff的过去分词和过去式) cougar:n.[脊椎]美洲狮,美洲豹(特指Felisconcolor);熟女; vegetarian:n.素食者;食草动物;adj.素食的; craft:n.工艺;船;手艺;飞行器;v.(尤指用手工)精心制作; workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习; sudden death:n.突然死亡法(比赛出现平局时在加时赛中先得分者即为胜方); beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友; grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸;
Every tool in that shop held a story. 工作坊中的每件工具都有故事。
And he was so, so happy to share it with somebody who was genuinely curious and interested. 他很高兴 能和真正好奇、感兴趣的人分享。
By the end of the day, 那天结束时,老唐和我,
Don and I looked very different to one another. 眼中的彼此都不同了。
And this drawing, which ended up in my visual column in the New York Times or as Don likes to call it, the fake-news media -- 这成为我的图画专栏刊于《纽约时报》, 或老唐喜欢称之为──假新闻媒体,
genuinely:adv.真诚地;诚实地; column:n.栏目,纵队; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
(Laughter) (笑声)
now hangs framed on the wall of his big game trophy room. 现在这图被裱框 挂在他的狩猎品展间。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
So I was getting ready to start on a new drawn story when the pandemic hit. 我本已准备开始新的图画报导, 疫情却爆发了。
And overnight I was, like so many people, just unable to do my job. 一夕之间,我和很多人一样无法工作了。[09:17]
framed:v.给…做框;给…镶边;制订;拟订;(frame的过去分词和过去式) trophy:n.奖品,奖杯;奖;纪念品,战利品;adj.炫耀的;摆阔的;招摇的; pandemic:adj.(疾病等)全国流行的;普遍的;n.流行性疾病; overnight:adj.夜间的; v.在夜间; n.(美)前一天的晚上;
It was my own mother who suggested that I teach drawing to kids. 正是我的母亲提议我去教孩子画画。
Kids who were about to lose their routines, be stuck at home, and to help give parents a much needed short break. 那些不能照常生活 的孩子,得待在家里, 我能给家长极需的短暂喘息。
Now I'm trained as a social worker, but I'd never taught kids before. 我受过社工的训练, 但我从来没有教过孩子。
But the night before school closures in San Francisco, 但在旧金山学校关闭的前一晚,
I went on Instagram and announced that the next day we'd try something called DrawTogether. 我上了 IG,宣布隔天起 我们要来尝试这个活动: 「DrawTogether(一起画画)」
were about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将; closures:[经]停业;封闭; Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序);
10 am. 早上十点。
I sat behind my drawing table in my home studio and my wonderful wife pointed an iPhone at me and pressed "Go live." 我在家中的工作室,坐在绘图桌前, 我的神队友用 iPhone 拍我, 按下「直播」。
And what I thought would be 100 kids, ended up being 12,000. 我原以为会有一百个孩子, 结果有一万两千个。
All eager to draw a dog. 全都渴望画只狗。
The next day, 14,000 kids came and we drew a tree, and that drawing exercise that you all just did. 隔天, 来了一万四千个孩子, 我们画了棵树, 还有各位刚才做的绘画练习。
What was supposed to be five minutes for five days, ended up being 30 minutes a day, five days a week, for months. 本来预计是 结果变成每天三十分钟, 一周五天, 持续了数个月。
And yeah, we talked about line and shape and we learned about perspective and light and shadow. 是的,我们会讨论:线条和形状, 我们也会学习:透视、光与影。
But what was really going on was we were actively looking our way through a global catastrophe together. 但我们真正在做的是: 一同用积极的眼光看见渡过全球性灾难的方法。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; catastrophe:n.大灾难;大祸;惨败;
See, drawing slows us down. 画画让我们慢下来。
It keeps our hands moving so we can pay attention to things that we usually overlook or that we ignore . 画画让我们的手在动, 让我们能注意到一些事物, 也许常被忽略或忽视的。
Studies show that drawing is one of the most effective ways for kids to process their emotions , and that includes trauma . 研究显示,画画是孩子排解情绪, 最有效的方式之一, 包括排解创伤。
It helps us talk about hard things. 画画协助我们谈论难以启齿的话题。
pay attention to:注意 overlook:v.忽略;俯视;视而不见;眺望; ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤;
We say something in DrawTogether, it sounds hokey , but it is true. 我们在 DrawTogether 常说──听起来可能做作,却是真的──
Drawing is looking and looking is loving. 去画就是去看, 而去看就是去爱。
If we can give kids the right supportive environment, drawing helps them let go of perfectionism and fear of failure so that they, unlike you and me, and especially those of us who might have freaked out just a wee bit when I said earlier we were going to draw, right? 若我们能给孩子良好的支持环境, 画画能协助他们放下 完美主义及对失败的恐惧, 这么一来,他们就不会像你和我, 特别是先前当我说要画画时, 就稍微吓到的人。
hokey:adj.做作的;虚情假意的; supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的; perfectionism:n.至善论;十全十美主义; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式)
We can let go of these harder self-judgments so we don't have to undo them later in life. 我们能现在就放下严厉的自我评断, 而不用在往后才尝试面对修补。
OK, I don't expect you all to become drawers . 我不期待各位都成为插画家。
But I do know that all of us, kids, grownups , everyone in this room, we can all be better at looking. 但我知道,我们所有人, 我们都能「看」得更好。
Because this is not a face. 因为,这不是人脸。
And when we live like this drawing, we miss out on all of the depth and detail of the world and people around us. 若我们将生命过得像这张图, 我们就错过了世界的 各种深度和细节, 及我们周遭的人。
drawers:n.抽屉;内裤;出票人;起草者;酒馆侍者;(drawer的复数) grownups:n.成年人们;(grownup的复数)
This is a face. 这是张脸。
And this is a face. 这也是张脸。
And that is such a face. 这更是好一张脸。(笑)
(Laughs)
And these are faces. 这些都是脸。
And if you slow down, I promise, pay attention and really look. 如果你慢下来,我保证, 专注、用心地去看,
You will fall back in love with the world and everyone in it. 你会重新爱上这个世界,
And after the past few years we've had, 经历了过去这几年,
I think we all desperately need a chance to look closely at one another and at ourselves, and tell the real truth about what we see. 我想我们都迫切需要一个机会, 以及看看自己, 并说出我们真正所见。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;