|
|
WendyDeLaRosaWWW_2018V-_协助你存钱的三项心理诀窍_
|
We all know that saving is important and is something that we should be doing. |
我们都知道省钱很重要, 这是我们应该一直做的事情。 |
And yet, overall , we're doing less and less of it. |
然而,总的来说,我们很少这么做了。 |
overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的;
|
[The Way We Work] |
【我们的工作方式】 |
We know what we need to do. |
我们知道要怎么做。 |
The question is: How do we do it? |
问题在于:我们该如何做? |
And that's what I'm here to teach you. |
我在这里就是要回答这个问题的。 |
Your savings behavior isn't a question of how smart you are or how much willpower you have. |
你的省钱行为与你的智商 或者你有多强的意志力无关。 |
savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数) willpower:n.意志力;毅力;
|
The amount we save depends on the environmental cues around us. |
我们能省多少钱取决于 我们周边的环境。 |
cues:n.开端,线索;提示,关键;球杆;诱因(cue的复数形式);
|
Let me give you an example. |
我来举个例子。 |
We ran a study in which, in one group, we showed people their income on a monthly basis. |
我们进行了研究,向其中一组的 人们展示他们的每月收入。 |
monthly:n.月刊:adv.每个月:每月一次:adj.每月的:
|
In another group, we showed people their income on a weekly basis. |
在另一组,我们以周为单位 展示他们的收入。 |
And what we found was that people who saw their income on a weekly basis were able to budget better throughout the month. |
我们的发现表明, 被按周展示收入的人 能够更好地调整整月的预算。 |
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
|
Now, it's important to know that we didn't change how much money people were receiving, we just changed the environment in which they understood their income. |
重要的是要知道 我们并没有改变人们拿到多少薪水, 我们只是改变了他们 理解收入的环境。 |
And environmental cues like this have an impact . |
像这样的环境线索产生了影响。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
So I'm not going to share tricks with you that you already know. |
我不打算和你们分享 你们已经知道的技巧。 |
I'm not going to tell you how to open up a savings account or how to start saving for your retirement . |
我也不打算告诉你们如何开设储蓄账户, 或者如何开始为你的退休计划存钱。 |
retirement:n.退休;退职;退休年龄;退休生活;
|
What I am going to share with you is how to bridge this gap from your intentions to save and your actions. |
我要和你们分享的是如何更好地 将省钱的意图 付诸行动。 |
I am going to:我将要做什么事情 gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; intentions:n.目的,意向,意图;打算;(intention的复数)
|
Are you ready? |
准备好了吗? |
Here's number one: harness the power of pre-commitment. |
第一点: 利用预先承诺的力量。 |
harness:vt.治理; n.马具;
|
Fundamentally , we think about ourselves in two different ways: our present self and our future self. |
我们通常用两种不同的方式看待自己: 现在自我和未来自我。 |
Fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
|
In the future, we're perfect. |
在未来,我们是完美的。 |
In the future, we're going to save for retirement, we're going to lose weight, we're going to call our parents more. |
在未来,我们会为退休储蓄, 我们会减重, 会经常给父母打电话。 |
But we oftentimes forget that our future self is exactly the same person as our present self. |
但我们常常忘记了未来的自己 和现在的自己根本没有差别。 |
oftentimes:adv.时常地;
|
We know that one of the best times to save is when you get your tax return . |
我们知道,最好的储蓄时间之一 是当你收到你的纳税申报单时。 |
tax return:n.纳税申报单;
|
So we tried an A/B test. |
所以我们做了个A/B测试。 |
In the first group, we texted people in early February, hopefully before they even filed for their taxes. |
在第一组,我们在2月初给人们发短信, 希望赶在他们报税前。 |
And we asked them, "If you get a tax refund , what percentage would you like to save?" |
我们问他们, “如果你得到退税, 会把其中多少钱存起来?” |
refund:vi.退还;偿还,归还;n.退款;偿还,偿还额; percentage:n.百分比;百分率;利润的分成;提成;
|
Now this is a really hard question. |
这真是个很难回答的问题。 |
They didn't know if they would receive a tax refund or how much. |
他们不知道他们是否会 得到退税或退了多少。 |
But we asked the question anyway. |
但我们还是问了这个问题。 |
In the second group, we asked people right after they received their refund, "What percentage would you like to save?" |
在第二组中,我们在人们 收到退税后问他们, “你会把多少退税存起来?” |
Now, here's what happened. |
结果是这样的。 |
In that second condition, when people just received their tax refund, they wanted to save about 17 percent of their tax refund. |
在第二种情况下,当人们收到退税时, 他们想把退税额的17%存起来。 |
But in the condition when we asked people before they even filed their taxes, when we asked in February. |
但在人们填写纳税申报前 就询问的这种情况里, 储蓄率从17%增至27%。 |
Why? |
为什么有这种差别? |
Because you're committing for your future self, and of course your future self can save 27 percent. |
因为你对未来的自己做了承诺, 当然未来自己能够存下27%。 |
committing:v.做出;犯罪或错等;自杀;承诺,保证;(commit的现在分词)
|
These large changes in savings behavior came from the fact that we changed the decision-making environment. |
这些较大的储蓄行为改变 是因为我们改变了决策环境。 |
decision-making:n.决策;
|
We want you to be able to harness that same power. |
我们希望你们能够驾驭同样的力量。 |
So take a moment and think about the ways in which you can sign up your future self for something that you know today will be a little bit hard. |
所以花点时间 想想你可以用什么方式让未来的自己 去做一些你今天知道 会有点困难的事情。 |
Sign up for an app that lets you make savings decisions in advance . |
注册一个应用程序, 让你提前做出储蓄决定。 |
in advance:adv.预先,提前;
|
The trick is, you have to have that binding contract . |
关键是,你的承诺要有约束力。 |
binding:v.结合; n.(书籍的)封皮; adj.必须遵守的; (bind的现在分词) contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约;
|
Number two: use transition moments to your advantage . |
第二点:利用好转型期。 |
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
|
We did an experiment with a website that helps older adults share their housing. |
我们在一个帮助老年人 分享住房的网站做过一个实验, |
We ran two ads on social media , targeted to the same population of 64-year-olds. |
我们在社交媒体上投放了两个广告, 都针对64岁的人群。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
In one group, we said, "Hey, you're getting older. |
在一组中,我们说,“嗨,你正在老去。 |
Are you ready for retirement? |
你准备好退休了吗? |
House sharing can help." |
共享房子会有帮助。” |
In the second group, we got a little bit more specific and said, "You're 64 turning 65. |
在第二组中,我们更加具体地讲: “你现在64岁,马上就65岁。 |
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
|
Are you ready for retirement? |
你准备好退休了吗? |
House sharing can help." |
共享房子会有帮助。” |
What we're doing in that second group is highlighting that a transition is happening. |
我们在第二组做的是 强调转型正在发生。 |
highlighting:n.增强亮度;突出性,醒目性;v.使…显著;以强光照射(highlight的ing形式);
|
All of a sudden , we saw click-through rates, and ultimately sign-up rates, increase when we highlight that. |
突然之间, 当我们强调这点时,我们看到点击率和 最终的注册率都增长了。 |
All of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地; click-through:点击; ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; sign-up:n.注册;签约;
|
In psychology , we call this the "fresh start effect." |
在心理学中,我们称之为“新起点效应。” |
psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
|
Whether it's the start of a new year or even a new season, your motivation to act increases. |
不管这是在一年之初 还是在一个新的季度, 你行动的动力会增加。 |
motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动;
|
So right now, put a meeting request on your calendar for the day before your next birthday. |
所以现在,在日历上为你下一个生日的 前一天写一个会议请求。 |
calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中;
|
Identify the one financial thing you most want to do. |
确定你最想做的一件理财事项。 |
Identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现: financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
|
And commit yourself to it. |
并尽量去实现。 |
The third and final trick: get a handle on small, frequent purchases . |
第三点和最后一点技巧: 控制好经常的小物品采购。 |
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸; frequent:adj.频繁的;经常发生的;v.常到(某处); purchases:v.[贸易]购买; n.所购物;
|
We've run a few different studies and found that the number one purchase people say they regret, after bank fees, is eating out. |
我们做了几个不同的研究, 发现人们在买单后 最后悔的头号消费是 外出就餐。 |
It's a frequent purchase we make almost every day, and it's death by a thousand cuts. |
这几乎是我们每天都进行的消费, 这真是让人剁手的事情。 |
A coffee here, a burrito there ... |
来杯咖啡,再来个墨西哥卷饼…… |
burrito:n.玉米煎饼;
|
It adds up and decreases our ability to save. |
这些加起来显着降低了 我们储蓄的能力。 |
decreases:减少(decrease的复数);
|
Back when I lived in New York City, |
回到我住在纽约那阵, |
I looked at my expenses and saw that I spent over 2,000 dollars on ride-sharing apps. |
我检查了一下我的花销, 发现我在拼车应用上花了2000美元。 |
expenses:n.费用;价钱;开销;开支;花费;(expense的复数)
|
It was more than my New York City rent. |
比我在纽约的租金还高。 |
I vowed to make a change. |
我发誓要做出改变。 |
vowed:v.起誓;立誓;发誓;(vow的过去分词和过去式)
|
And the next month, I spent 2,000 dollars again -- no change, because the information alone didn't change my behavior. |
下个月,我又花了2000美元—— 没有变化,因为信息本身 并无法改变我的行为。 |
I didn't change my environment. |
我没改变我的环境。 |
So now that I was 4,000 dollars in the hole, I did two things. |
所以现在,我有4000美元的 亏空了,我做了两件事情。 |
The first is that I unlinked my credit card from my car-sharing apps. |
第一件事是我从拼车应用上 解绑了我的信用卡。 |
unlinked:vt.解开...的环节;拆开;vi.分开;分离; credit card:n.[经]信用卡; car-sharing:汽车共享;拼车;汽车共用;
|
Instead, I linked a debit card that only had 300 dollars a month. |
反之,我将每个月只有 300美元额度的借记卡绑在上面。 |
debit card:n.借记卡;
|
If I needed more, |
如果我需要更多, |
I had to go through the whole process of adding a new card, and we know that every click, every barrier , changes our behavior. |
我就得进行整个添加新卡的流程, 我们知道即便是一个点击, 一个障碍,都可以改变行为。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; barrier:n.屏障;障碍;障碍物;关口;v.用栅围住;
|
We aren't machines. |
我们不是机器。 |
We don't carry around an abacus every day, adding up what we're spending, in comparison to what we wanted. |
我们不会每天都带着算盘, 把我们花的钱加起来 和我们想花的钱做比较。 |
abacus:n.算盘; comparison:n.比较;对比;相比;
|
But what our brains are very good at is counting up the number of times we've done something. |
但我们的大脑很擅长 计算我们做事情的次数。 |
So I gave myself a limit. |
所以我给自己设限。 |
I can only use ride-sharing apps three times a week. |
我只能每周使用三次拼车应用。 |
It forced me to ration my travels. |
这迫使我限量出行。 |
ration:v.配给;定量供应;n.定量;口粮;配给量;
|
I got a handle on my car-sharing expenses to the benefit of my husband, because of the environmental changes that I did. |
为了我丈夫的利益,我控制住了 与人共享汽车的费用, 因为我所做的环境改变。 |
So get a handle on whatever that purchase is for you, and change your environment to make it harder to do so. |
所以无论你买什么东西,都要控制好, 改变你的环境,让你更难做这一点。 |
Those are my tips for you. |
这是我给你们的提示。 |
tips:n.尖端; v.(使)倾斜,翻覆; (tip的第三人称单数和复数)
|
But I want you to remember one thing. |
但我想让你们记住一件事。 |
As human beings, we can be irrational when it comes to saving and spending and budgeting . |
作为人类,在储蓄,花费和预算方面, 我们并不理性。 |
irrational:adj.不合理的;无理性的;荒谬的;n.[数]无理数; budgeting:n.编制预算;v.做预算(budget的ing形式);
|
But luckily, we know this about ourselves, and we can predict how we'll act under certain environments. |
但幸运的是,我们有自知之明, 我们可以预测出在特定的 环境中,我们会如何行动。 |
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
|
Let's do that with saving. |
把这一点用在储蓄上吧。 |
Let's change our environment to help our future selves. |
让我们通过改变环境来 帮助未来的自己。 |