返回首页

WajahatAli_2019-_何以应该生孩子_-

I'm an exhausted dad. 我是个筋疲力尽的爸爸。
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
Currently owned and dominated by two mini dictators , who rule my life with an iron fist while wearing their Huggies diapers . 目前被两个迷你独裁者 所拥有及支配着, 他们穿着好奇宝宝尿布, 用铁腕统治着我。
Currently:adv.当前;一般地; dominated:v.支配;控制;左右;影响;(dominate的过去式和过去分词) dictators:n.独裁者;发号施令者;专横的人;(dictator的复数) Huggies:n.哈吉斯(一纸尿裤品牌); diapers:n.(婴儿的)尿布,尿片;(diaper的复数)
Now probably because I've been drowning in small people lately, 可能是因为我近来 一直淹没在小小人堆里,
drowning:v.溺水;淹没;淹死,溺死;浸泡;(drown的现在分词)
I've been paying close attention to a particular headline. 我密切关注某个特定的头条:
It seems around the world, in developed countries, people are having fewer babies. 似乎在世界各地的已开发国家里, 人们生育得更少了。
From North America to Europe to China to Japan, there's actually been a consistent decline in birth rates. 从北美到欧洲,从中国到日本, 出生率真的在持续下降。
North America:n.北美洲; consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的; decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降;
In fact, over the past 50 years, the global fertility rate has halved . 事实上,在过去的 50 年里, 全球生育率已经减半。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; fertility:n.多产;肥沃;[农经]生产力;丰饶; halved:v.对半分开;均分;把…减半(halve的过去式和过去分词);
What the heck is going on? 到底怎么搞的?
heck:n.(英口)同"hell",表示略微烦恼或吃惊;
Now, my friends who don't want kids, all point to climate change as a reason for never having babies. 如今我那些不想要孩子的朋友们 都把气候变迁当作不生孩子的理由。
And many of you are sitting there right now, saying, "Waj, there's also overpopulation , there's also high birth rates, which still exist in many African and Middle Eastern countries, there's also orphan kids who still need parents, 现在坐在你们当中的许多人 说:「瓦巨,还有人口过剩, 高出生率仍是许多非洲 和中东国家的景况, 还有孤儿需要父母认养,
overpopulation:n.人口过剩; Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒; orphan:adj.孤儿的;无双亲的;n.孤儿;vt.使成孤儿;
there's also a lack of resources to go around for everyone, and oh, by the way , we have a ginormous carbon footprint that is destroying this planet. 资源不够给每个人用, 哦,顺便提一下, 还有巨量的碳足迹正摧毁这个星球。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); by the way:顺便说一下; ginormous:adj.极大的;甭提有多大的; carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; footprint:n.足迹;脚印;
I hear you, I hear you. 我听到了,听到了。
And yet, despite all this chaos , I still think we should have babies. 然而,尽管有这些乱糟糟的情况, 我仍然认为我们应该生孩子。
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
I believe we can and should fight for the earth and humanity , side by side . 我相信我们能够而且应该 为地球和人类并肩作战。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; side by side:adj.并肩的;并行的;
Now, if I could take it personal for a second, 请让我稍以自身为例,
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
I get it, I get why some of you might be skeptical about having babies. 我完全明白你们当中有些人 对生孩子抱持着怀疑的态度。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的;
Here's a photo of my wife and me before we had kids. 这是爱妻和我生小孩前的一张照片。
Young, happy, fresh. 年轻、快乐、清新。
Here's a photo of me after having kids. 这是我有孩子后的照片。
A broken, defeated husk of a man. 一具破碎、被击垮的身躯。
husk:n.皮;外壳;无价值之物;vt.削皮;以粗哑的嗓音说;vi.嗓音变得嘶哑;
Here's the photo of the car I thought I'd be driving as an adult. 原先我以为成年后 要开照片里这样的车。
A Porsche . 保时捷。
Porsche:n.保时捷(德国知名汽车厂商或其出产的轿车品牌名);
Here's what I actually drive. 这是我实际上开的车。
A Honda Odyssey minivan . 本田奥德赛休旅车。
Honda:n.本田汽车公司; Odyssey:n.奥德赛(古希腊史诗); minivan:n.小型货车;
For the minivan. 休旅车。
Where there was once hope, now there is convenient space, and good mileage , good mileage. 曾经有过的希望 现在换成方便的空间, 还省油。
convenient:adj.实用的;便利的;方便的; mileage:n.英里数;
Now, I just want to stress that I'm completely aware of the very dire threats of global warming and climate change. 我只想强调, 我完全清楚全球暖化 和气候变迁 带来的极端威胁。
dire:adj.可怕的;悲惨的;极端的; global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
I just want to acknowledge that choosing to have babies is a deeply, profoundly personal choice. 我只想确认选择生孩子 是个极为深刻的个人选择。
profoundly:adv.深刻地;深深地;极度地;
And that many who want to are unable. 许多想生的人无法生。
But just for today, let's examine the flip side of the coin. 但今天让我们看看另一面。
the flip side:反面;
At how not having enough new people is going to be a major problem moving forward. 没有足够的新生儿 何以成为向前迈进的主要问题。
According to the World Health Organization , we need to average about 2.1 children per woman today just so we have enough people to replace the previous generation. 世界卫生组织指出, 现在每名妇女 平均要生 2.1 个孩子, 才有足够的人来接替上一代。
According to:根据,据说; Organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
A lot of you thought overpopulation was going to be a problem in 100 years -- yeah, it might be underpopulation. 很多人认为百年内 人口过剩将会成为问题—— 对啦, 问题也可能会是人口不足。
So a question: what happens if that number dips below 2.1? 试问: 如果生育率低于 2.1 会怎样?
dips:v.浸;(使)下降;把(汽车前灯的)远光调为近光;(dip的第三人称单数)
There's going to be a domino effect . 会发生骨牌效应。
domino effect:n.多米诺(骨牌)效应;连锁反应;
As all of us get older, and live longer, there's going to be a shrinking younger population, which is going to lead to rising labor shortages in the world's biggest economies . 随着我们所有人变老、活得更久, 年轻的人口将会萎缩, 将导致世界最大经济体的 劳动力短缺问题日益严重。
shrinking:v.(使)缩水,收缩,缩小,退缩;(shrink的现在分词) shortages:n.不足,缺乏(shortage的复数形式); economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
I'm talking about United States, China, Japan, Germany. 我说的是美国、中国、日本、德国。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
Fewer younger working people means less tax revenue . 年轻劳动力的减少意味着税收减少。
revenue:n.收益;营业额;税务署;
Less tax revenue means less money and resources to go to safety net programs that all of us are going to depend upon . 税收减少意味着更少的资金和资源 用在我们人人依赖的安全网上。
safety net:n.安全保障;为防止人摔落而设置的安全网; depend upon:依赖;取决于;
I'm talking about pensions and health care . 我说的是养老金和医疗保健,
pensions:n.[劳经]养老金(pension的复数形式); v.发放退休金(pension的第三人称单数形式); health care:n.卫生保健;
It seems every generation is indeed connected. 那似乎与每一个世代都息息相关。
But how the heck did we get here in the first place ? 但首先到底为什么 我们会沦落到这步田地?
in the first place:首先;起初;
Well, in some cases, it was intentional . 某些情况是故意为之。
intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的;
Let's take the DeLorean to simpler times. 让我们把迪罗伦时光汽车 开回到昔时单纯的年代。
Let's stop in China. 让我们停在中国,
Somewhere between the death of disco and "Empire Strikes Back" -- 1980. 停在迪斯可没落 和 《星战五部曲:帝国大反击》间, 1980 年。
disco:n.迪斯科舞厅;的士高;
In 1980, China decided to implement the one-child policy , largely limiting most parents to having just one kid to combat overpopulation. 中国在 1980 年决定 实施一胎化政策, 大规模限制多数父母 只能够生一个孩子, 来对抗人口过剩问题。
implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具; one-child:独生子女; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地; combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
Check out some good old-fashioned Chinese propaganda , lovely. 看这些可爱、老式的中国宣传。
old-fashioned:adj.老式的;过时的;守旧的; propaganda:n.宣传;传道总会;
Now, fast-forward to 2019. 现在,快转到 2019 年。
fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进;
Even after ending its one-child policy in 2015, China's birth rates have largely declined . 即使一胎化政策 已在 2015 年松绑了, 中国的出生率已然大幅下降。
declined:v.减少;下降;衰弱;婉言拒绝;(decline的过去分词和过去式)
In fact, the falling population in China is removing one of its biggest drivers of growth -- people. 事实上,中国的人口下降正消泯 其最大增长推动力之一 ——人。
If trends continue, China's population is actually going to peak in 2029, before entering " unstoppable decline. 倘若此趋势持续下去, 中国的人口将在 2029 年达到顶峰, 然后陷入「无法阻挡的衰退」。
trends:n.趋势;倾向;动态;动向;(trend的第三人称单数和复数) peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的; unstoppable:adj.无法阻碍的;无法停止的(副词unstoppably);
China's government is so freaked out right now that it's actually doing new propaganda -- it's begging couples to have children for the country. 现在中国政府吓坏了, 所以正推出新的宣传—— 恳求夫妻「为国家」生孩子。
freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式)
Let's take the DeLorean and hop over to Japan, home of my beloved Honda Odyssey minivan. 让我们乘坐迪罗伦时光汽车跳到日本, 我心爱的本田奥德赛休旅车的故乡。
hop:n.啤酒花;单足短距离跳跃;;v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;突然快速去某处; beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友;
Japan is now producing more adult diapers than infant ones. 日本现在生产的成人纸尿裤 比婴儿尿布还多。
infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的;
The number of kids in Japan has fallen for the 37th straight year. 日本的孩子人口连续减少 37 年。
And unlike other countries, it has not been able to replace its population numbers through immigrant workers. 与其他国家不同, 它无法透过移工填补人口数。
immigrant:n.(外来)移民;外侨;adj.侨民的;
There will be labor shortages and not enough money to fund the safety-net programs. 日本将出现劳动力短缺, 以及安全网计划的资金不足。
fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
Now, Japan has introduced two solutions. 现在日本推出了两种解决方案。
First, a financial incentive . 一是经济的奖励。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; incentive:n.动机;刺激;adj.激励的;刺激的;
Some local governments in Japan have offered couples money to have babies, with the money increasing with each additional child being born. 有些日本地方政府发奖金鼓励生育, 生越多,给的钱就越多。
additional:adj.附加的,额外的;
This actually worked for one year in 2014 in this town called Ama. 2014 年时用在这个名为 海士町的小镇真的有效。
It actually raised the birth rate from about 1.66 kids per woman to 1.8. 将出生率从每名妇女约生 1.66 个孩子提高到 1.8 个。
birth rate:n.出生率;
But it did not gain traction across Japan. 但未能在日本各地带起风潮。
traction:n.牵引;[机][车辆]牵引力;
In 2018, a leader of Japan's ruling party tried a new tack . 2018年,日本执政党 领导人尝试新策略。
tack:n.方针;方法;大头钉;v.抢风行驶;钉住;
He told young people, "You're selfish for not having babies. 他告诉年轻人: 「不生孩子是自私的行为。」
'" Shockingly , shaming was not a rousing aphrodisiac . 令人大吃一惊的是, 羞辱并不是激动人心的壮阳药。
Shockingly:adv.怕人地,非常地;不正当地; rousing:adj.活泼的;使奋起的;使感动的;v.唤醒;激怒;唤起(rouse的ing形式); aphrodisiac:adj.激发性欲的;n.春药;催欲剂;
Surprise, I know, surprise. 意外,真意外。
Who would have thought? 谁想得到?
Let's take the DeLorean to Europe, the continent of delicious cheeses I love to eat but cannot pronounce . 让我们搭乘迪罗伦时光汽车到欧洲, 欧陆出产我爱吃 却叫不出名字的美味起司。
continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的; pronounce:v.发音;读(音);正式宣布(或公布,授予等);
The UK and much of Western Europe has a birth rate of about 1.7 kids per woman, which at least is better than Hungary, where it hovers around 1.45. 英国和西欧大部分地区的出生率 约为每名妇女生 1.7 个孩子, 至少比匈牙利的 1.45 上下来的好。
hovers:盘旋;
Now, Hungary's prime minister Viktor Orbán has proposed a new solution to try to incentivize people to have kids. 现在,匈牙利总理 维克多·奥尔班 提出一个新的解决方案, 试图鼓励人们生孩子。
prime minister:n.首相;总理; proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式) solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; incentivize:以物质刺激鼓励;
He said families where the women have four or more kids will no longer pay income tax . 他说,女性生了四个孩子以上的家庭 无需再缴纳所得税。
income tax:所得税;
Pretty good, right, pretty good. 非常好,对,非常好。
At least it's better than Russia's 2007 proposal , which once offered women in a particular region the opportunity of winning a fridge if they had more kids. 至少比俄罗斯 2007 年的提案要好, 他们曾为某个地区的女性 提供获得冰箱的机会, 只要她们多生几个孩子。
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚; region:n.地区;范围;部位;
Yeah, it didn't work, it didn't work. 没错,没有用,无效。
But hold on, pump the brakes. 但等一下,踩个剎车。
pump:n.抽水机;泵;打气筒;v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;
Orbán is primarily proposing this because he wants to limit the population of Muslims and people of color. 奥尔班这个提议主要是因为 他想限制穆斯林和有色人种的人口。
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上; proposing:v.提议;建议;打算;计划;求婚;(propose的现在分词)
He says he doesn't think Hungary's traditions and culture and color has to be "mixed with those of others." Subtle . 他说他不认为匈牙利的 传统、 文化和色彩 必须「与其他人混合」。微妙。
Subtle:adj.微妙的;精细的;敏感的;狡猾的;稀薄的;
Unfortunately for Orbán, and much of the EU, the birth rates are not high enough right now to be replenished without immigration . 不幸的是,对于奥尔班 和欧盟的大部分地区而言, 如果除去移民,目前的出生率不足以补充人口。
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; replenished:adj.装满的;充满的;v.重新装满;添加;充注精力(replenish的过去分词); immigration:n.外来移民;移居;
Among EU countries, there is a demographic decline. 欧盟国家的人口减少。
demographic:adj.人口统计学的;人口学的;
So it seems, in Europe, karma is going to be brown and Muslim. 因此似乎在欧洲,業力 将转化为棕皮肤和穆斯林。
karma:n.因果报应,因缘;
Just saying. 说说而已。
The question remains: Why aren't people having enough kids? 问题仍然存在: 为什么大家生的孩子不够多?
Why is the birth rate declining in these countries? 为什么这些国家的出生率会下降?
declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词)
In some cases, it's because women are more literate , more educated. 某些情况下 是因为女性的文化程度更高, 受教育的程度更高。
literate:adj.受过教育的;精通文学的;n.学者;
They have more economic opportunities -- applaud . 她们有更多的经济机会——鼓掌。
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; applaud:v.欢呼;赞成;
All good things, all good things, yes. 这些都很好,都些都很好,没错。
In India, this has been fantastic , it has actually reduced the birth rate but kept it above that magic 2.1 number. 在印度很神奇, 实际上印度的出生率降低了, 但保持略高于 2.1 那个神奇数字。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
Women also have more access to birth control , more control over their reproductive lives, all good things. 妇女也获得更多节育的机会, 更能掌控其生育的生活, 这些都很好。
birth control:adj.节育的;避孕的; reproductive:adj.生殖的;再生的;复制的;
But in the United States, in particular , a lot of young people are opting out of having kids, largely cite the same reason: financial concerns . 但是尤其在美国, 很多年轻人选择不生孩子, 主要归究于同样的原因: 财务问题。
in particular:尤其,特别; opting:v.选择;挑选;(opt的现在分词) cite:v.引用;援引;引述;提及(原因);n.引文; concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
Let's take the DeLorean to my motherland, the United States of America , where the birth rate hit its historic low in 2017. 让我们把迪罗伦时空汽车 开到我的祖国:美国, 那里的出生率在 2017 年 达到历史新低。
United States of America:un.美利坚合众国; historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的;
The United States is the most expensive country in the world to give birth. 美国是世界上 生育最昂贵的国家。
If you do not have insurance , it will cost you 32,000 dollars to have a baby, if everything goes perfectly. 如果没有保险, 生个孩子将花费 32,000 美元, 前提是一切顺利。
insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的;
That's like buying a brand new Honda Odyssey minivan, OK? 这就像买一辆全新的 本田奥德赛休旅车,知道吗?
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
So, congratulations, you just had a baby, but the baby's economic productivity is zero, and guess what? 因此,恭喜你刚喜获麟儿, 但宝宝没任何经济生产力, 猜猜怎么着?
productivity:n.生产力;生产率;生产能力;
The United States is the only industrialized country in the world that does not require employers to offer paid parental leave. 美国是世上唯一不要求雇主 提供带薪育婴假的工業化国家。
industrialized:adj.工业化的;v.使工业化;将…组成产业(industrialize的过去分词); employers:n.雇主;雇用者;(employer的复数) parental:adj.父母亲的,父母的;亲代的,亲本的;
'"Mom, you just had a baby, congratulations, that's lovely. 「恭喜年轻的妈妈, 妳刚生了个孩子,很好,
Get back to work or you're fired, young mom!" 回去工作, 要不然妳就要被解雇了!」
My wife and I, both working parents, pay about 3,500 dollars a month -- a month -- in Virginia for childcare . 我们夫妇两人都工作, 在维吉尼亚州每个月托儿大约 支付 3500 美元,一个月哦。
Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的; childcare:n.儿童保育;儿童照管;adj.儿童保育的;托管的;
If you do the math , that's 40,000 dollars a year. 加总起来是每年 4 万美元。
you do the math:你自己来算一下;
That's like buying a brand new, souped-up , Honda Odyssey minivan, OK. 这就像买一辆全新、配备齐全的 本田奥德赛小型货车,知道吧。
souped-up:adj.加强了马力的;
I have one, I do not need 10. 我有一辆,不需要 10 辆。
So here's my bold suggestion. 所以我大胆提议:
bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的;
Let's make it easier for people to have babies. 让生儿育女变轻鬆一点。
It seems in order to invest in our future, we actually have to invest in the present and help those people who want to become parents. 看来为了投资未来, 我们真的必须投资于现在, 幫助那些想当父母亲的人。
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
Give them affordable health care, give them affordable childcare, give them paid parental leave. 给他们负担得起的医疗保健, 给他们负担得起的托儿服务, 给他们带薪育婴假。
affordable:adj.负担得起的;
Among the EU states in 2017, France reported the highest birth rates. 在 2017 年的欧盟国家中, 法国的出生率最高。
Why? 为什么?
Largely due to its pronatal policies that actually kept women in the workforce . 主要是由于法国有利的生育政策 让女性真能留在劳动市场上。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工;
I'm talking about subsidized daycare and paid maternal leave. 我说的是补贴日托和带薪的产假。
subsidized:adj.补贴的,补助的;v.资助或补助(subsidize的过去时和过去分词); daycare:n.日托;日间照管儿童; maternal:adj.母亲的;母性的;母系的;母体遗传的;
China and Japan, thank God, are finally wisening up and proposing such policies. 感谢上帝,中国和日本 终于提出这样的政策。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
This is great. 这很棒。
That being said, I know some of you have listened to me and you still think the best investment we can make in the future is not having babies. 话虽如此,我知道有些人 听了我的话仍然认为 对最好的未来投资就是不生孩子。
investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
I respect that. 我尊重。
I get where you're coming from. 我明白你们的思维。
And I know many of you in this audience want to have babies but you are terrified about the future. 我也知道听众里 有很多人想要生孩子, 但是对未来感到害怕。
And as a parent, I feel you. 作为父母,我感同身受。
I'm scared about the future. 我害怕未来。
I wrote that last line a month ago. 我在一个月前写下刚刚那句话。
But it really hit home three days ago for me, while I was at TED. 但是三天前我才充分意识到, 当时我就在 TED 这里。
Three days ago, my wife calls me, crying. 三天前,我妻子哭着打电话给我。
I pick it up in my hotel room. 我在旅馆房里接到电话。
And she said, "I'm calling from the hospital." 她说:「我是从医院打来的。」
We had to take my baby daughter Nusayba, who was named after a warrior princess , to the hospital, because she found a bump on the stomach. 我们不得不带着女儿努赛巴—— 她以一位公主战士的名字命名—— 去了医院, 因为她发现 孩子的肚子上有一硬块。
warrior:n.勇士; princess:n.王妃;(除女王或王后外的)王室女成员;(尤指)公主;王公贵族夫人; bump:n.肿块,隆起物;撞击;v.碰撞,撞击;颠簸而行;adv.突然地,猛烈地;
We got back the results, and there were bumps all around her liver . 我们获知她的肝脏周围都是肿瘤。
bumps:碰撞(bump的第三人称单数);碰撞(bump的复数); liver:n.肝;(动物供食用的)肝;
Today, this morning, we found out that she has stage IV liver cancer . 今天早上我们得知她肝癌第四期。
cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
It has been a challenging week. 这是充满挑战的一周。
It has been a challenging week. 这是充满挑战的一周。
And if I may, I just want to take a moment to acknowledge the TED staff, everyone, top-down , everyone in the back, in the green room , some of the speakers, word has spread. 请让我花一点时间 答谢 TED 的工作人员, 每个人,从上到下, 后面的、休息室的每个人, 一些讲者,话传开来了。
top-down:adj.[计]自顶向下;组织管理严密的; green room:n.[戏,影视]演员休息室;
On behalf of my family, my wife, and my parents 我代表家人、妻子 和父母
On behalf of:代表;为了;
- my Pakistani parents said I had to say this -- thank you for just being decent and kind this week. ——我巴基斯坦的父母—— 我必须说: 谢谢你们在过去一周 对我如此亲切与和善。
Pakistani:adj.巴基斯坦的;n.巴基斯坦人; decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的;
So thank you. 谢谢你们。
These are my beloveds , my Ibrahim and Nusayba, my babies. 这是我心爱的易卜拉欣和努赛巴, 我的宝贝。
beloveds:adj.亲爱的;被…爱的;n.心爱的人;(beloveds是beloved的复数);
I talked to my wife, and despite the terrible news and the fight ahead, we both concluded that we regret nothing. 我和妻子谈过, 尽管有可怕的消息和眼前的挑战, 我们都得出结论,我们不后悔。
concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式)
Deciding to have babies was the best decision we ever made. 决定生孩子是我们做过的最好决定。
Our babies have brought us so much joy and they've brought the world so much joy, and having kids is a risk, but life is a risk. 孩子给我们带来如此多的快乐, 给世界带来如此多的快乐, 拥有孩子有风险, 但生命本来就有风险。
And yes, I hope you've been paying attention, we need to invest in babies in developed countries if we want to help save our economy and pensions. 没错,我希望你们一直在注意听, 如果想挽救经济和养老金, 我们已开放国家 必需投资在婴儿身上。
economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
But that's not the reason you have babies. 但这不是你生孩子的原因。
That's not the main reason. 不是主要的原因。
Babies have always represented humanity's best, boldest , most beautiful infinite possibilities. 婴儿一直代表着人类最好、 最大胆、 最美丽的无限可能。
represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词) boldest:大胆的;陡峭的;醒目的;无礼的(bold的最高级); infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限;
And if we in developed countries, as a whole , opt out, and don't invest in present and future generations, then what the hell's the point? 如果我们已开放国家 作为整体,选择退出, 不投资于当代和后代, 那还有什么意义呢?
as a whole:总的来说;
What's the point of being on this absurd journey together? 共同走一趟这荒谬的 人生旅程有什么意义呢?
absurd:adj.荒谬的;可笑的;n.荒诞;荒诞作品; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
And so, for those who can and who choose to, for those who can and who choose to have kids, may you pass on this beautiful thing called life, with kindness, generosity , decency and love. 因此,对于那些能选而且选了的人, 那些能选而且选择生孩子的人来说, 你们将美好的生命 与善良、慷慨、 正直和爱传递下去。
generosity:n.慷慨,大方;宽宏大量; decency:n.正派;体面;庄重;合乎礼仪;礼貌;
Thank you. 谢谢你们。