|
|
WaelGhonim_2015G-_让我们设计能够实现真正变革的社交媒体_
|
I once said, "If you want to liberate a society, all you need is the Internet." |
我曾说过, “如果你想要解放社会, 你只需要互联网。” |
liberate:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);
|
I was wrong. |
我错了。 |
I said those words back in 2011, when a Facebook page I anonymously created helped spark the Egyptian revolution . |
我说这番话的时候是2011年, 我匿名创建了一个脸书主页 这个主页引发了埃及革命。 |
anonymously:adv.不具名地;化名地; spark:n.火花;电火花;火星;活力;v.引发;触发;冒火花;飞火星; revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
|
The Arab Spring revealed social media 's greatest potential , but it also exposed its greatest shortcomings. |
阿拉伯之春展示了社交媒体的巨大潜力, 但同时也暴露了其最大缺点。 |
revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
|
The same tool that united us to topple dictators eventually tore us apart. |
这个我们让我们集结在一起推翻独裁者的工具 最终也将我们撕裂。 |
united:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) topple:v.倾倒;倒塌;推翻;颠覆;使倒塌; dictators:n.独裁者;发号施令者;专横的人;(dictator的复数) eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
I would like to share my own experience in using social media for activism , and talk about some of the challenges I have personally faced and what we could do about them. |
我想分享我使用社交媒体来推动社会变革的经验, 来讨论我面对的一些挑战 以及我们能够做些什么。 |
activism:n.行动主义;激进主义; personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
|
In the early 2000s, |
在21世纪第一个十年的早期, |
Arabs were flooding the web. |
阿拉伯人在网上的活动蔓延开来。 |
Thirsty for knowledge, for opportunities, for connecting with the rest of the people around the globe, we escaped our frustrating political realities and lived a virtual , alternative life. |
渴望知识、机遇 连结世界上的其他人, 我们逃离了沮丧的政治现实 活在虚拟的,用以替代现实的人生。 |
frustrating:adj.令人沮丧的;v.使沮丧;(frustrate的现在分词) virtual:adj.[计]虚拟的;实质上的,事实上的(但未在名义上或正式获承认); alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
|
Just like many of them, I was completely apolitical until 2009. |
和他们中的很多人一样,在2009年前,我完全没有任何政治立场。 |
apolitical:adj.不关心政治的;无政治意义的;
|
At the time, when I logged into social media, |
那时,我登入社交媒体, |
logged:v.把…载入正式记录;记录;行驶;采伐;(log的过去分词和过去式)
|
I started seeing more and more Egyptians aspiring for political change in the country. |
我开始看到越来越多的埃及人 呼吁这个国家政治变革。 |
Egyptians:n.埃及人;埃及语;(Egyptian的复数) aspiring:adj.渴望从事…的; v.渴望(成就); (aspire的现在分词)
|
It felt like I was not alone. |
我感到自己并不是唯一的那个。 |
In June 2010, |
在2010年的6月, |
Internet changed my life forever. |
网络永久改变了我的人生。 |
While browsing Facebook, |
在浏览脸书网站时, |
browsing:v.随便看看;浏览;翻阅;浏览信息;(browse的现在分词)
|
I saw a photo, a terrifying photo, of a tortured , dead body of a young Egyptian guy. |
我看到一张照片,一张可怕的照片,是一个年轻埃及男子的尸体 留有被折磨过的痕迹。 |
terrifying:adj.令人恐惧的;骇人的;极大的;v.使害怕,使恐怖;(terrify的现在分词) tortured:adj.遭受重创的; v.拷问; (torture的过去分词和过去式)
|
His name was Khaled Said. |
他的名字是卡勒德·赛义德。 |
Khaled was a 29-year-old Alexandrian who was killed by police. |
哈勒德是一名39岁的亚历山大城居民,他被警察杀害。 |
I saw myself in his picture. |
在他的照片中我看到了自己。 |
I thought, "I could be Khaled." |
我想,“我也可能是哈勒德。” |
I could not sleep that night, and I decided to do something. |
那晚我无法入睡,我决定要做些事。 |
I anonymously created a Facebook page and called it "We are all Khaled Said." |
我匿名创建了脸书页面 名叫“我们都是哈勒德·赛义德。” |
In just three days, the page had over 100,000 people, fellow Egyptians who shared the same concern . |
3天内,页面追随者超过了10万人, 他们是有着同样担忧的埃及人。 |
concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事;
|
Whatever was happening had to stop. |
正在发生的这些事必须停止。 |
I recruited my co-admin, AbdelRahman Mansour. |
我招募了我的管理伙伴,阿德哈曼·曼索。 |
recruited:v.招聘,雇佣;招募;(recruit的过去分词和过去式)
|
We worked together for hours and hours. |
我们长时间一起工作。 |
We were crowdsourcing ideas from the people. |
我们把人们的想法集中起来, |
crowdsourcing:众包;群众外包;众包模式;
|
We were engaging them. |
让人们参与进来。 |
engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
|
We were calling collectively for actions, and sharing news that the regime did not want Egyptians to know. |
我们组织集体行动, 分享当局不愿让埃及人知道的事。 |
collectively:adv.共同地,全体地; regime:n.政权,政体;社会制度;管理体制;
|
The page became the most followed page in the Arab world. |
这个页面成为阿拉伯世界 最受欢迎的页面。 |
It had more fans than established media organizations and even top celebrities . |
页面的粉丝比现有的媒体要多 甚至比当红明星还要多。 |
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; celebrities:n.名人;名誉;(celebrity的复数)
|
On January 14, 2011, |
在2011年1月14日, |
Ben Ali fled out of Tunisia after mounting protests against his regime. |
本·阿里逃离了突尼西亚, 在大量的抗议人群反对他的政权之后。 |
fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式) Tunisia:n.突尼斯(非洲国家); mounting:n.安装;固定;悬挂;adj.上升的;增长的;v.准备;安排;登上;(mount的现在分词) protests:v.抗议;反对(protest的三单形式);n.抗议(protest的复数);
|
I saw a spark of hope. |
我看到了一丝希望。 |
Egyptians on social media were wondering, "If Tunisia did it, why can't we?" |
社交媒体上的埃及人想, “突尼西亚做到了,为什么我们不能呢?” |
I posted an event on Facebook and called it "A Revolution against Corruption , Injustice and Dictatorship ." |
我在脸书上公布了一个活动 “反对腐败、不公正和独裁的革命。” |
Corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落; Injustice:n.不公正;不讲道义; Dictatorship:n.专政;独裁权;独裁者职位;
|
I posed a question to the 300,000 users of the page at the time: "Today is the 14th of January. |
我向那时页面的30万粉丝提出问题: “今天是1月14日。 |
The 25th of January is Police Day. |
1月25日是警察日。 |
It's a national holiday. |
是一个世界性的节日。 |
If 100,000 of us take to the streets of Cairo , no one is going to stop us. |
如果我们中10万人走上开罗街头, 没人能阻止我们。 |
Cairo:开罗(埃及首都)
|
I wonder if we could do it." |
我不知道我们能不能做到。” |
I wonder if:我不知道是否…?;
|
In just a few days, the invitation reached over a million people, and over 100,000 people confirmed attendance . |
几天之内,这个邀请就送达到超过1百万人, 超过10万人确认他们会参加。 |
invitation:n.邀请,引诱 attendance:n.出席;到场;出席人数;
|
Social media was crucial for this campaign. |
社交媒体对这场运动至关重要。 |
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
|
It helped a decentralized movement arise . |
它帮助了一个去中心化的社会运动崛起。 |
decentralized:adj.分散的; vt.使分散; arise:v.出现;发生;产生;起身;
|
It made people realize that they were not alone. |
它让人们意识到他们并不是孤单。 |
And it made it impossible for the regime to stop it. |
它让政府无法阻挡。 |
At the time, they didn't even understand it. |
在那时,政府甚至不懂那是什么。 |
And on January 25th, Egyptians flooded the streets of Cairo and other cities, calling for change, breaking the barrier of fear and announcing a new era. |
在1月25日,埃及人涌上开罗和其它城市的街头, 呼吁变革, 冲破恐惧 宣告新时代的到来。 |
barrier:n.屏障;障碍;障碍物;关口;v.用栅围住;
|
Then came the consequences . |
随后,后果出现了, |
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
|
A few hours before the regime cut off the Internet and telecommunications , |
在政府切断互联网和电信的几个小时以前, |
telecommunications:n.电信;电讯;
|
I was walking in a dark street in Cairo, around midnight. |
深夜时分,我在开罗一条黑暗的街道上行走。 |
I had just tweeted , "Pray for Egypt. |
我刚发了一条推特,“为埃及祈祷, |
tweeted:v.(小鸟)吱吱地叫;啾鸣;(tweet的过去分词和过去式)
|
The government must be planning a massacre tomorrow." |
政府肯定计划明天采取大规模屠杀。” |
massacre:n.屠杀;残杀;惨败;v.屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;
|
I was hit hard on my head. |
我的头被重重击打了。 |
I lost my balance and fell down, to find four armed men surrounding me. |
我失去平衡跌倒在地上, 发现四个全副武装的男子围绕着我。 |
One covered my mouth and the others paralyzed me. |
一个捂住我的嘴巴其余的让我失去行动能力。 |
paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词);
|
I knew I was being kidnapped by state security. |
我知道自己被国安局绑架了。 |
I found myself in a cell, handcuffed , blindfolded . |
我发现自己在监狱里, 带着手铐,被蒙住眼睛。 |
handcuffed:v.给…戴上手铐(handcuff的过去式和过去分词); blindfolded:v.(用布等)蒙住…的眼睛(blindfold的过去分词和过去式)
|
I was terrified. |
我很害怕。 |
So was my family, who started looking for me in hospitals, police stations and even morgues . |
我的家人也很害怕, 他们开始寻找我 在医院,在警察局,甚至是停尸房。 |
morgues:n.陈尸所;资料室,资料档案;
|
After my disappearance , a few of my fellow colleagues who knew I was the admin of the page told the media about my connection with that page, and that I was likely arrested by state security. |
在我消失后, 那些知道我是页面管理员的同事 告诉媒体我与那个页面的关联, 我很有可能被国安局监禁了。 |
disappearance:n.消失;不见; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); admin:abbr.管理,行政(administration);
|
My colleagues at Google started a search campaign trying to find me, and the fellow protesters in the square demanded my release . |
我在Google的同事开始了搜索运动,想要寻找我的下落, 很多抗议者在广场呼吁我被释放。 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; protesters:n.(公开)抗议者,反对者;(protester的复数) release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
|
After 11 days of complete darkness, |
在完全黑暗的11天后, |
I was set free. |
我自由了。 |
And three days later, |
又过了3天, |
Mubarak was forced to step down. |
穆巴拉克被迫下台。 |
It was the most inspiring and empowering moment of my life. |
那是我人生最激动的时刻。 |
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词) empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词)
|
It was a time of great hope. |
那是怀抱伟大希望的时刻。 |
Egyptians lived a utopia for 18 days during the revolution. |
在革命时的18天里,埃及人活在乌托邦中。 |
utopia:n.乌托邦(理想中最美好的社会);理想国;
|
They all shared the belief that we could actually live together despite our differences, that Egypt after Mubarak would be for all. |
他们有着同样的信仰 大家可以求同存异地生活在一起, 穆巴拉克之后的埃及将是和平包容的国度。 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
|
But unfortunately , the post-revolution events were like a punch in the gut . |
但不幸的是, 后革命时代的事件就像胸口挨的重拳。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; punch:n.冲床; v.拳打; (用打孔器等)打孔; gut:n.勇气;肠道;内脏;v.损毁内部;取出…的内脏;adj.非理性的;本能的
|
The euphoria faded , we failed to build consensus , and the political struggle led to intense polarization . |
欢快逐渐消失, 我们未能成功达成共识, 政治斗争演变成了强烈的两极化。 |
euphoria:n.精神欢快,[临床]欣快;兴高采烈;欣快症;幸福愉快感; faded:adj.已褪色的;已凋谢的; consensus:n.一致;舆论;合意; intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; polarization:n.极化;偏振;两极分化;
|
Social media only amplified that state, by facilitating the spread of misinformation , rumors , echo chambers and hate speech. |
社交媒体只是放大言论, 帮助传播错误的信息、谣言, 重复的口号和仇恨言论。 |
amplified:v.放大;详述(amplify的过去分词);adj.放大的;扩充的; facilitating:v.促进;促使;使便利;(facilitate的现在分词) misinformation:n.误报;错误的消息; rumors:n.谣传,流言(rumor的复数);v.谣传(rumor的第三人称单数); echo:vt.反射;重复;vi.随声附和;发出回声;n.回音;效仿; chambers:n.内庭(chamber的复数);
|
The environment was purely toxic . |
环境完全被毒害了。 |
purely:adv.完全;仅仅; toxic:adj.有毒的;中毒的;
|
My online world became a battleground filled with trolls , lies, hate speech. |
我的网络世界变成了战场充斥着轮番大声高唱的谎言和仇恨言论。 |
battleground:n.战场; trolls:n.山精,巨怪;v.曳绳钓(鱼);拖钓;搜查;(troll的复数和第三人称单数);
|
I started to worry about the safety of my family. |
我开始担心我家人的安危。 |
But of course, this wasn't just about me. |
但显然,这并不只是针对我。 |
The polarization reached its peak between the two main powers -- the army supporters and the Islamists. |
两极分化在两个主要势力对抗下到达了巅峰 军队支持者和伊斯兰教主义者。 |
peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的; supporters:n.拥护者;(运动队的)支持者;(supporter的复数)
|
People in the center, like me, started feeling helpless . |
在中间的人们,和我一样, 开始感到无助。 |
helpless:adj.无助的;无能的;没用的;
|
Both groups wanted you to side with them; you were either with them or against them. |
两个集团都希望你站在他们一边; 你要么是伙伴,要么是敌人。 |
And on the 3rd of July 2013, the army ousted Egypt's first democratically elected president, after three days of popular protest that demanded his resignation . |
在2013年7月3日, 在持续三天的公众抗议呼吁他下台之后, 军队驱赶了埃及历史上第一个民主选举产生的总统。 |
ousted:驱逐;取代(oust的过去式和过去分词); democratically:adv.民主地;民主主义地; resignation:n.辞职;放弃;辞职书;顺从;
|
That day I made a very hard decision. |
那天我做出了一个艰难地决定。 |
I decided to go silent, completely silent. |
我决定沉默,完全沉默。 |
It was a moment of defeat. |
那是挫败的时刻。 |
I stayed silent for more than two years, and I used the time to reflect on everything that happened, trying to understand why did it happen. |
我沉默了两年多, 我花时间反思过去发生的一切, 想要理解为什么那一切会发生。 |
reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑;
|
It became clear to me that while it's true that polarization is primarily driven by our human behavior, social media shapes this behavior and magnifies its impact . |
我理解到 是的,两极化最初是由 我们的人性驱使, 社交媒体塑造这个行为并且放大了它的影响。 |
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上; magnifies:vt.放大;赞美;夸大;vi.放大;有放大能力; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
Say you want to say something that is not based on a fact, pick a fight or ignore someone that you don't like. |
比如你想要说些并不是基于事实的话, 挑起斗争或是忽略某个你讨厌的人。 |
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
|
These are all natural human impulses , but because of technology , acting on these impulses is only one click away. |
这都是人类天生的冲动, 但因为科技, 让这些冲动发酵只要一个点击而已。 |
impulses:n.[心理]冲动; v.推动(impulse的第三人称单数); technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
In my view, there are five critical challenges facing today's social media. |
我的观点是,今天的社交媒体面对 5个严峻的挑战。 |
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
|
First, we don't know how to deal with rumors. |
首先,我们不知道如何应对谣言。 |
Rumors that confirm people's biases are now believed and spread among millions of people. |
那些展示人们偏见的谣言 被相信,并向数百万人群传播。 |
biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式);
|
Second, we create our own echo chambers. |
第二,我们创建了自己的回音室。 |
We tend to only communicate with people that we agree with, and thanks to social media, we can mute , un-follow and block everybody else. |
我们往往只和那些与我们观点相同的人沟通, 感谢社交媒体, 我们能够静音,取消关注和屏蔽其他人。 |
mute:adj.沉默的;无声的;哑的;n.弱音器;哑巴;v.消音;减音;减弱;缓解;
|
Third, online discussions quickly descend into angry mobs . |
第三,线上讨论很快演变成愤怒的暴民。 |
descend:vi.下降;下去;下来;遗传;屈尊;vt.下去;沿…向下; mobs:n.人群; v.(鸟群或兽群)围攻; (mob的第三人称单数和复数)
|
All of us probably know that. |
我们所有人可能都了解这些。 |
It's as if we forget that the people behind screens are actually real people and not just avatars . |
这就如同我们忘记了 屏幕里面的人是真实的人类 而不是阿凡达。 |
avatars:n.神使;头像;形象化符号;(avatar的复数)
|
And fourth, it became really hard to change our opinions. |
第四,改变自己的观点变得很困难, |
Because of the speed and brevity of social media, we are forced to jump to conclusions and write sharp opinions in 140 characters about complex world affairs. |
因为社交媒体快速和简短的特征, 我们很快跳到结论 在140个字中书写有关复杂全球时政的 犀利的观点。 |
brevity:n.简洁,简短;短暂,短促; jump to conclusions:妄下结论; sharp:锋利的,尖的 complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
|
And once we do that, it lives forever on the Internet, and we are less motivated to change these views, even when new evidence arises . |
当我们这样做的时候,这些观点永远存在于互联网上, 我们缺少改变这些观点的动力, 即便是在新证据出现的情况下。 |
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; arises:v.出现;发生;站立;
|
Fifth -- and in my point of view , this is the most critical -- today, our social media experiences are designed in a way that favors broadcasting over engagements , posts over discussions, shallow comments over deep conversations. |
第五-- 在我看来,这是最最重要的-- 今天,我们的社交媒体经验被设计为 利于传播而不是参与, 利于张贴而不是讨论, 利于浅薄的观点而不是深度的讨论。 |
point of view:观点;见地;立场; engagements:n.订婚;订婚期间;约定,约会;战斗;(engagement的复数)
|
It's as if we agreed that we are here to talk at each other instead of talking with each other. |
就好像我们认为自己是来这里对着他人说教 而不是与他人对话。 |
I witnessed how these critical challenges contributed to an already polarized Egyptian society, but this is not just about Egypt. |
我目睹这些严峻挑战是如何影响 埃及这个已是两极分化的社会, 但是,这并不只是关于埃及。 |
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词) contributed:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物); (contribute的过去式和过去分词) polarized:v.(使)两极化,截然对立; (polarize的过去分词和过去式)
|
Polarization is on the rise in the whole world. |
两极化在全球范围内升温。 |
We need to work hard on figuring out how technology could be part of the solution , rather than part of the problem. |
我们要努力寻找 科技如何成为解决方案的一部分, 而不是麻烦的一部分。 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
There's a lot of debate today on how to combat online harassment and fight trolls. |
当今有很多争论关于如何对抗线上骚扰 以及解决重复宣告的问题。 |
debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑; combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗; harassment:n.骚扰;烦恼;
|
This is so important. |
这很重要。 |
No one could argue against that. |
没人会反对。 |
argue against:反对;据理反对;争辩;
|
But we need to also think about how to design social media experiences that promote civility and reward thoughtfulness . |
但我们也需要思考如何设计社交媒体经验 来推动礼貌和回报体贴。 |
promote:v.促进;推动;促销;提升;晋升; civility:n.礼貌;礼仪;端庄; reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏; thoughtfulness:n.体贴;思虑;
|
I know for a fact if I write a post that is more sensational , more one-sided , sometimes angry and aggressive , |
我知道 如果我写一个更加耸动, 更加一边倒,有时是气愤和激进的帖子, |
sensational:adj.轰动的;耸人听闻的;非常好的;使人感动的; one-sided:adj.片面的,单方面的;不公正的; aggressive:adj.侵略性的;好斗的;有进取心的;有闯劲的;
|
I get to have more people see that post. |
会有更多人关注到这个帖子。 |
I will get more attention. |
我会吸引更多注意力。 |
But what if we put more focus on quality? |
但是如果我更加关注质量呢? |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
What is more important: the total number of readers of a post you write, or who are the people who have impact that read what you write? |
哪个更重要呢: 你写的帖子的总阅读量, 还是是谁在阅读,谁有更大的影响力在阅读你写的帖子? |
Couldn't we just give people more incentives to engage in conversations, rather than just broadcasting opinions all the time? |
为什么不能创造更大的动机让人们参与对话, 而非一直宣传观点? |
incentives:n.激励;奖励;诱因(incentive的复数形式);奖励措施;
|
Or reward people for reading and responding to views that they disagree with? |
或是奖励人们阅读 和评论那些他们不同意的观点? |
responding:v.响应;作出反应;反应灵敏;(respond的现在分词)
|
And also, make it socially acceptable that we change our minds, or probably even reward that? |
同时,让改变自己的观点变成社会所接纳的行为, 或者可能的话,奖励这样的行为? |
acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的;
|
What if we have a matrix that says how many people changed their minds, and that becomes part of our social media experience? |
如果我们有一个模型可以显示有多少人改变他们的观点, 成为社交媒体经验的一部分? |
matrix:n.[数]矩阵;模型;[生物][地质]基质;母体;子宫;[地质]脉石;
|
If I could track how many people are changing their minds, |
如果我能追踪多少人改变了想法, |
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
|
I'd probably write more thoughtfully , trying to do that, rather than appealing to the people who already agree with me and "liking" because I just confirmed their biases. |
我可能会写得更认真仔细,试图更有说服力, 而不是在那些和我观点相同的人那里 获得“赞”,因为我只是在确认他们的偏见。 |
thoughtfully:adv.沉思地;体贴地,亲切地; appealing:adj.吸引人的; v.呼吁; (appeal的现在分词)
|
We also need to think about effective crowdsourcing mechanisms , to fact-check widely spread online information, and reward people who take part in that. |
我们也需要思考有效地众包机制, 来查实广为传播的网络信息, 奖励那些参与进来的人。 |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; mechanisms:n.机制;[机]机构(mechanism的复数);机械;[机]机构学;
|
In essence , we need to rethink today's social media ecosystem and redesign its experiences to reward thoughtfulness, civility and mutual understanding. |
从本质上讲,我们需要重新思考今天的社交媒体系统, 重新设计它的经验 来奖励深思、礼貌和互相了解。 |
In essence:本质上;其实;大体上; rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法; ecosystem:n.生态系统; redesign:vt.重新设计;n.重新设计;新设计; mutual:adj.共同的;相互的,彼此的;
|
As a believer in the Internet, I teamed up with a few friends, started a new project, trying to find answers and explore possibilities. |
作为互联网的信徒我和一些朋友合作, 开启了一个新项目, 试图寻找答案和探索多种可能性。 |
believer:n.信徒;相信的人; teamed up with:与…合作,与…协作; explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
|
Our first product is a new media platform for conversations. |
我们的第一个产品是新的谈话性媒体平台。 |
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
|
We're hosting conversations that promote mutual understanding and hopefully change minds. |
我们举办对谈活动来促进相互理解 希望改变看法。 |
hosting:v.主办,主持;主持;做东;(host的现在分词)
|
We don't claim to have the answers, but we started experimenting with different discussions about very divisive issues , such as race, gun control , the refugee debate, relationship between Islam and terrorism . |
我们没有答案, 但我们开始试验不同的谈话活动 关于非常有争议的问题, 比如种族、限制枪支、有关难民的争论、 伊斯兰和恐怖主义之间的关系, |
claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得; divisive:adj.分裂的;区分的;造成不和的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) gun control:n.枪支管制(法); refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的; terrorism:n.恐怖主义;
|
These are conversations that matter. |
这些都是重要的对话。 |
Today, at least one out of three people on the planet have access to the Internet. |
今天,世界上三分之一的人 能够连接上互联网。 |
But part of this Internet is being held captive by the less noble aspects of our human behavior. |
但是互联网的一部分被 人类习性中不那么高尚的方面俘虏了。 |
captive:adj.被俘虏的;被迷住的;n.俘虏;迷恋者; noble:adj.高尚的;贵族的;惰性的;宏伟的;n.贵族; aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
|
Five years ago, I said, "If you want to liberate society, all you need is the Internet." |
五年前,我说, “如果你想要解放社会, 你需要互联网。” |
Today, I believe if we want to liberate society, we first need to liberate the Internet. |
今天,我相信如果我们想要解放社会, 我们首先要解放互联网。 |
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |