|
|
VusiMahlasela_SongofMama_2007G-_歌颂“图拉妈妈”_
|
I’d like to dedicate this one to all the women in South Africa -- those women who refused to dwindle in the midst of apartheid . |
我想把这首歌献给所有的南非女性—— 那些拒绝在种族隔离的暴力前低头的女性 |
dedicate:vt.致力;献身;题献; dwindle:vi.减少;变小;vt.使缩小,使减少; midst:n.当中,中间;prep.在…中间(等于amidst); apartheid:n.种族隔离;
|
And, of course, I’m dedicating it also to my grandmother, whom I think that she really played quite a lot of important role, especially for me when I was an activist , and being harassed by the police. |
当然,同时,这首歌也要献给我的奶奶 她在我的生命中扮演了许多重要的角色 尤其是在我作为激进分子而被警察骚扰的那段时期 |
dedicating:致力;献身;题献(dedicate的现在分词); especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子; harassed:adj.疲惫焦虑的;v.侵扰;骚扰;不断攻击(敌人);(harass的过去分词和过去式)
|
You will recall that in 1976, June 16, the students of South Africa boycotted the language of Afrikaans as the medium of the oppressor , as, you know, they were sort of like really told that they must do everything in Afrikaans -- biology , mathematics -- and what about our languages? |
你们大概都记得在1976年6月16号,南非的学生联合抵制 公用荷兰语被镇压者作为媒介而强制使用 他们要求学生们 必须使用公用荷兰语来学习所有课程 如生物,数学——那我们自己的语言如何生存呢? |
recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令; boycotted:vt.联合抵制;拒绝参加;n.联合抵制; medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的; oppressor:n.压迫者;残暴的统治者;暴君; biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学; mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
|
And the students wanted to speak to the government, and police answered with bullets . |
于是学生们想要和政府对话 但警察却以子弹来回应 |
bullets:n.子弹;弹丸;(bullet的复数)
|
So every year, June 16, we will commemorate all those comrades or students who died. |
因此,后来每年的6月16号,我们都会纪念 那些在运动中牺牲的学生 |
commemorate:vt.庆祝,纪念;成为…的纪念;
|
And I was very young then, I think I was 11 years, and I started asking questions, and that’s when my political education, you know, started. |
那时我还很小,大概才11岁 正是开始对各种问题感到好奇的时候 而我的政治教育也从那时开始 |
And I joined, later on, the youth organization under the African National Congress . |
后来,我加入了 非洲国民大会的青年团 |
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交;
|
So as part of organizing this and whatever, this commemoration , the police will round us up as, you know, they call us, like, leaders. |
作为组织纪念活动的一份子 警察常常会来围捕我们 他们把我们叫做“领头人” |
organizing:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;(organize的现在分词) commemoration:n.纪念;庆典;纪念会;
|
And I used to run away from home, when I know that maybe the police might be coming around the ninth or 10th of June or so. |
我那时常常离家 为躲避警察的逮捕 他们常在6月的9号或10号来 |
And my grandmother, you know, one time said, "No, look, you’re not going to run away. |
一次,我的奶奶说 听着,这次你不要走 |
This is your place, you stay here." |
这是你的家,你就在这里 |
And indeed, the police came -- because they’ll just arrest us and put us in jail and release us whenever they feel like, after the 20th or so. |
那晚,警察果然又来了。因为他们总是任意地逮捕我们 把我们关进监狱,然后大概在6月20号以后由着自己的意愿释放 |
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
|
So it was on the 10th of June, and they came, and they surrounded the house, and my grandmother switched off all the lights in the house, and opened the kitchen door. |
那晚是6月10号,警察们来了,包围我家 奶奶关掉所有的灯 然后打开厨门 |
And she said to them, "Vusi's here, and you're not going to take him tonight. |
她对他们说:“乌瑟今晚在家,不过你们别想把他带走 |
I'm tired of you having to come here, harassing us, while your children are sleeping peacefully in your homes. |
我实在厌倦了你们跑到这里来骚扰我们 而你们的孩子却在家里安睡 |
harassing:v.侵扰;骚扰;不断攻击(敌人);(harass的现在分词) peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地;
|
He is here, and you're not going to take him. |
他今晚在这里,但你们休想逮捕他 |
I've got a bowl full of boiling water -- the first one who comes in here, gets it." |
我已准备好满满一大盆滚烫开水,谁先进屋,我就泼给谁。” |
And they left. |
那晚他们灰溜溜地离开了 |
(Applause) |
掌声 |
? Thula Mama, Thula Mama, Thula Mama, Thula Mama. ? |
图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈 |
? Through the mist of the tears in your eyes on my childhood memory, ? |
你泪水模糊的双眼让我想起我的童年 |
mist:n.薄雾; v.(使)结满雾气(模糊不清); childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
? I know the truth in your smile, ? |
我知道你微笑的真正意味 |
? I know the truth in your smile, ? |
我知道你微笑的真正意味 |
? piercing through the gloom of my ignorance . ? |
穿透我无知的迷雾 |
piercing:adj.刺穿的; n.熔化穿孔; v.刺穿; gloom:n.忧郁;阴暗;v.变阴暗;变忧沉;使黑暗;使忧郁; ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂;
|
? Oh, there is a mama lying down sleeping ? |
噢,亲爱的妈妈正在熟睡 |
? you're very ill and your heart crying. ? |
你身体欠佳,你的心在哭泣 |
? Wondering, wondering, wondering, wondering where is this world coming to. ? |
担心着,担心着,担心着,担心着,担心着这个世界究竟会变成什么样 |
? Is it right the children have to fend for themselves? No, no, no, no, no. no. ? |
我们怎么忍心让孩子都去独自谋生?不,不,不…… |
fend:vt.谋生;保护;挡开;供养;vi.照料;供养;力争;
|
? Is it right heaping trouble on an old lady's head? ? |
我们怎忍心去找老妇人的麻烦? |
? So unlucky faceless people. ? |
普通百姓是如此的无辜 |
unlucky:adj.不幸的;倒霉的;不吉利的;
|
? Thula Mama Mama, Thula Mama. Thula Mama Mama. ? |
图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈 |
? Thula Mama, Thula Mama, Thula Mama Mama, Thula Mama ? |
图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈 |
? Tomorrow it’s going to be better. ? |
明天将会变得更好 |
? Tomorrow it's going to be better to climb, Mama. ? |
明天我们的奋斗将会更容易 |
? Thula Mama, Thula Mama. ? |
图拉妈妈,图拉妈妈 |
? Am I to break into the song like the blues man or troubadour . ? |
我开始像蓝调歌手或游吟诗人一样歌唱 |
troubadour:n.行吟诗人;民谣歌手;
|
? And then from long distance in no blues club am I to sing, ? |
然而能让我歌唱的蓝调酒吧却难以寻觅 |
? baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby. ? |
宝贝,宝贝,宝贝…… |
? Should I now stop singing of love, ? |
是否我应该停止对爱的歌颂 |
? now that my memory’s surrounded by blood? ? |
当我的记忆已被鲜血淹没? |
? Sister, why oh why do we at times mistake a pimple for a cancer ? ? |
姐妹们,为什么我们有时把粉刺误认为癌症? |
pimple:n.疙瘩;[医]丘疹;面疱; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
|
? So who are they who says, no more love poems now? ? |
是谁在那里叹息再也没有歌颂爱的诗歌? |
? I want to sing a song of love ? |
我想唱一首歌颂爱的歌 |
? for that woman who jumped the fences pregnant ? |
献给那些怀着身孕仍从栅栏跳下的妇女 |
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
|
? and still gave birth to a healthy child. ? |
她们仍然生出了健康的孩子 |
? Softly I walk into the sun rays of the smile ? |
缓缓地我步入笑容的光辉中 |
Softly:adv.温柔地;柔和地;柔软地;静静地;
|
? that will ignite my love song, my song of life, ? |
这辉煌点亮了我对爱,对生命的歌颂 |
ignite:vt.点燃;使燃烧;使激动;vi.点火;燃烧;
|
? my song of love, my song of life, my song of love, ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命,歌颂爱 |
? my song of life, my song of love, my song of life. ? |
歌颂生命,歌颂爱,歌颂生命 |
? Ooh, I’ve not tried to run away from song, ? |
喔,我从不曾停止歌唱 |
? I hear a persistent voice, more powerful than the enemy bombs. ? |
我听到一个坚定的声音,比敌人的炸弹更有力 |
persistent:adj.固执的,坚持的;持久稳固的;
|
? The song that washed our lives and the rains of our blood. ? |
那是沐浴我们灵魂,净化我们血液的歌 |
? My song of love and my song of life, my song of love, ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命,歌颂爱 |
? my song of life, my song of love, ? |
歌颂生命,歌颂爱 |
? my song of life, my song of love -- I want everybody to sing with me -- ? |
歌颂生命,歌颂爱——大家跟我唱 |
? my song of life, my song of love, my song of life -- everybody sing with me -- ? |
歌颂生命,歌颂爱,歌颂生命——大家跟我一起唱 |
? my song of life, my song of love -- I can’t hear you -- ? |
歌颂生命,歌颂爱——大声点 |
? my song of love, my song of life -- you can do better -- ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命——再大声一点 |
? my song of life, my song of love -- keep singing, keep singing -- ? |
歌颂生命,歌颂爱——不要停,不要停 |
? my song of love, my song of life, yes, my song of love -- ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命,对,歌颂爱 |
? you can do better than that -- ? |
请大家再大声一点 |
? my song of life, yes, my song of love, my song of life, my song of love -- ? |
歌颂生命,对,歌颂爱,歌颂生命,歌颂爱 |
? keep singing, keep singing, keep singing -- my song of love. ? |
不要停,不要停,不要停——歌颂爱 |
? Oh yeah. My song of -- a love song, my song of life. Sing. A love song, my song of life. Sing. ? |
啊,好样的。歌颂——爱,歌颂生命。唱。歌颂爱,歌颂生命 |
? Love song, my song of life. Sing. Love song, my song of life. Sing. ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命。唱。歌颂爱,歌颂生命。唱 |
? Love song, my song of life. Sing. Love song, my song of life. ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命。唱。歌颂爱,歌颂生命 |
? Love song, my song of life. ? |
歌颂爱,歌颂生命 |
(Applause) |
掌声 |