返回首页

VernaMyers_2014X-_如何克服偏见?坦然面对。_

I was on a long road trip this summer, and I was having a wonderful time listening to the amazing Isabel Wilkerson's "The Warmth of Other Suns." 这个夏天我进行了一次长途旅行 听着伊莎贝尔·威克逊的优秀作品《他乡暖阳》的有声读物 度过了一段非常美好的时光
It documents six million black folks fleeing the South from 1915 to 1970 looking for a respite from all the brutality and trying to get to a better opportunity up North, 这本书记录了,在1915年到1970年间,六百万黑人为了暂时逃离一切暴行 逃离了南方 以期在北方获得更好的机会
fleeing:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的现在分词) respite:n.缓解;暂缓;暂时的休息;缓期执行;vt.使缓解;使暂缓;使延期;缓期执行; brutality:n.无情;残忍;暴行(需用复数形式);
and it was filled with stories of the resilience and the brilliance of African-Americans, and it was also really hard to hear all the stories of the horrors and the humility , and all the humiliations . 这本书里满是故事,展现了非裔美国人的 适应能力和才智 但是我不忍去听完那些让我们感到恐惧, 羞辱的,以及所有关乎廉耻心的故事。
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力; brilliance:n.光辉;才华;宏伟; horrors:n.震惊;恐惧;厌恶;;令人厌恶的性质;(horror的复数) humility:n.谦卑,谦逊; humiliations:n.丢脸,耻辱;蒙羞;谦卑;
It was especially hard to hear about the beatings and the burnings and the lynchings of black men. 当听到黑人遭受毒打、火刑,被私刑处死的时候, 我特别难受
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; beatings:n.打;[纸]打浆;敲打;失败;v.打(beat的ing形式); burnings:adj.燃烧的;强烈的;发热的;n.燃烧;vi.燃烧(burn的现在分词); lynchings:n.处以私刑;处私刑杀害;v.以私刑处死(lynch的ing形式);
And I said, "You know, this is a little deep. 当时我说,“嗯,这有点沉重。
I need a break. I'm going to turn on the radio." 我需要缓一缓。还是听收音机吧。”
I turned it on, and there it was: 我打开了收音机,然后听到播报
Ferguson, Missouri , 在密苏里州的弗格森市
Missouri:n.密苏里(美国州名);
Michael Brown, 18-year-old black man, unarmed , shot by a white police officer , laid on the ground dead, blood running for four hours while his grandmother and little children and his neighbors watched in horror, and I thought, here it is again. 18岁的黑人男性 迈克尔·布朗 没有带任何武器,但是被白人警察击中,倒地死亡 血,流了整整四个小时 他的祖母、孩子、还有他的邻居惊恐地看着这一幕 我当时想: 居然又是这种事!
unarmed:adj.不带武器的;非武装的;不使用武器的;徒手的 police officer:n.警官;警察;警务人员;
This violence , this brutality against black men has been going on for centuries. 这种针对黑人男性的暴行, 已经持续了数个世纪
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
I mean, it's the same story. It's just different names. 我的意思是,世界发生着同样的故事,只是主角的名字不一样了而已
It could have been Amadou Diallo. 主角可以是阿马杜·迪亚洛
Amadou:n.火绒(止血和引火用);
It could have been Sean Bell. 可以是西恩·贝儿,
It could have been Oscar Grant . 奥斯卡·格兰特
Grant:v.授予;允许;承认;同意;n.拨款;[法]授予物;
It could have been Trayvon Martin. 也可以是特雷沃恩·马丁
This violence, this brutality, is really something that's part of our national psyche . 这种暴力、暴行 是我们民族心理真实的一部分
psyche:n.灵魂;心智;
It's part of our collective history. 也是我们集体历史的一部分。
collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词;
What are we going to do about it? 我们到底要怎么应对这种暴力、暴行?
You know that part of us that still crosses the street, locks the doors, clutches the purses , when we see young black men? 知道吗?我们当中部分人,看到黑人的时候, 仍旧会穿过街道避开他, 关紧房门, 拽紧钱包。
clutches:v.紧握;抓紧;(因害怕或痛苦)突然抓住;(clutch的第三人称单数) purses:n.钱包;资金;财源;v.抽紧;把…放进钱袋;(purse的第三人称单数和复数)
That part. 那部分人
I mean, I know we're not shooting people down in the street, but I'm saying that the same stereotypes and prejudices that fuel those kinds of tragic incidents are in us. 在我看来,虽然没有在街上直接把人击倒 但我认为他们持有同样的成见、同样的偏见 而这也助长了这种悲剧的发生。 那一部分人就在我们中间
stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数) prejudices:成见;偏见;歧视(prejudice的复数); tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的;
We've been schooled in them as well. 我们和他们一起上学。
I believe that we can stop these types of incidents, these Fergusons from happening, by looking within and being willing to change ourselves. 我相信我们可以阻止这样的悲剧- 让弗格森这样的事情不再发生 只要我们内省,愿意改变我们自己。
So I have a call to action for you. 所以我呼吁大家行动起来
There are three things that I want to offer us today to think about as ways to stop Ferguson from happening again; three things that I think will help us reform our images of young black men; 今天我想让大家思考三点 这三点可以防止弗格森这样的事情再次发生。 我认为,这三点将帮助我们 改变我们对黑人男青年的印象
reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
three things that I'm hoping will not only protect them but will open the world so that they can thrive . 我希望这三点不仅可以保护他们 还可以为他们打开一个世界,这样他们就能得到发展。
thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
Can you imagine that? 你们能想像得到吗?
Can you imagine our country embracing young black men, seeing them as part of our future, giving them that kind of openness , that kind of grace we give to people we love? 想像我们国家,护佑着黑人男青年 把他们看作我们未来的一部分,毫无偏见,风度翩翩的看待他们, 就像我们对待所爱的人那样
embracing:n.拥抱;v.拥抱,包含;(embrace的现在分词) openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真; grace:n.优雅;恩惠;魅力;慈悲;v.使优美;
How much better would our lives be? How much better would our country be? (这样),我们的生活能在多大程度上有所改善,我们的国家能在多大程度上有所改善?
Let me just start with number one. 让我们从第一点开始:
We gotta get out of denial . 我们必须不再否认。
denial:n.否认;否定;剥夺(应有的权利);拒不承认(令人不快、痛苦的事);
Stop trying to be good people. 不要再装好人,
We need real people. 我们需要真真正正的人。
You know, I do a lot of diversity work, and people will come up to me at the beginning of the workshop . 大家知道,我做过很多和多元化相关的工作 研讨会开始的时候,人们会来跟我说
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: come up to:v.达到;等于; at the beginning of:在…的开始; workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习;
They're like, "Oh, Ms. Diversity Lady, we're so glad you're here" -- “‘多元化’女士,非常高兴您能到来。”
(Laughter) -- "but we don't have a biased bone in our body." (笑声)-- “但是我们可没有偏见啊。”
biased:adj.有偏见的;结果偏倚的,有偏的;
And I'm like, "Really? 然后我就会说,“是吗?”
Because I do this work every day, and I see all my biases ." “我每天都研究这个问题,所以我知道自己所有的偏见。”
biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式);
I mean, not too long ago, I was on a plane and I heard the voice of a woman pilot coming over the P.A. system, and I was just so excited, so thrilled . 不久之前,在飞机上 我从公共广播系统里听到一位女飞行员的声音 我当时非常兴奋,非常激动
thrilled:adj.非常兴奋; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的过去分词和过去式)
I was like, "Yes, women, we are rocking it. 我想,“太棒了,女人,我们女人也可以开飞机了。
We are now in the stratosphere ." 我们现在进入平流层了。”
stratosphere:n.同温层;最上层;最高阶段;
It was all good, and then it started getting turbulent and bumpy , and I was like, "I hope she can drive." 飞机开始很稳,后来有点颠簸,忽上忽下。 我就想 “但愿她真的会开飞机。”
turbulent:adj.骚乱的,混乱的;狂暴的;吵闹的;激流的,湍流的; bumpy:adj.颠簸的;崎岖不平的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I know. Right. 是的,我知道:
But it's not even like I knew that was a bias until I was coming back on the other leg and there's always a guy driving and it's often turbulent and bumpy, and I've never questioned the confidence of the male driver. 当时我并未意识到那是一种偏见, 然后,回程时,我坐了另一架飞机,全程都是一个男人在驾驶飞机 飞机也经常动荡、颠簸 但我从未怀疑过那位男性飞行员-
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
The pilot is good. 那位飞行员非常出色。
Now, here's the problem. 这就是问题(所在了)。
If you ask me explicitly , I would say, " Female pilot: awesome ." 如果你要我明确回答,我会说,“那位女飞行员,非常棒。 ”
explicitly:adv.明确地;明白地; Female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
But it appears that when things get funky and a little troublesome , a little risky, 但是当事情变得可怕,有点麻烦,有点冒险的时候
funky:adj.时髦的;畏缩的;恶臭的; troublesome:adj.麻烦的;讨厌的;使人苦恼的;
I lean on a bias that I didn't even know that I had. 我不知不觉就产生了偏见
lean:v.前俯(或后仰):倾斜:adj.肉少的:难以赚钱的:贫乏的:n.瘦肉:
You know, fast-moving planes in the sky, 大家都知道,对于在天空高速行驶的飞机来说,
fast-moving:adj.移动迅速的;
I want a guy. 我还是想要男人来开飞机。
That's my default . 这就是我的偏见
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行;
Men are my default. 我更偏向男人
Who is your default? 你偏向谁?
Who do you trust? 你相信谁?
Who are you afraid of? 你害怕谁?
Who do you implicitly feel connected to? 你内心跟谁更亲近?
implicitly:adv.含蓄地;暗中地;
Who do you run away from? 你想要逃离谁?
I'm going to tell you what we have learned. 我现在要分享的是我们已经认识到的一些问题
The implicit association test, which measures unconscious bias, you can go online and take it. 在内隐联想测试中,我们测试了存在于潜意识中的偏见 你可以上网测试一下-
association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往; unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的;
Five million people have taken it. 已经有五百万人参加了测试
Turns out, our default is white. We like white people. 测试结果与现实相符,我们更偏向白人,我们喜欢白人
We prefer white. What do I mean by that? 我们更倾向于白人,具体来说呢?-
prefer:v.更喜欢;宁愿;提出;提升;
When people are shown images of black men and white men, we are more quickly able to associate that picture with a positive word, that white person with a positive word, than we are when we are trying to associate positive with a black face, and vice versa . 当人们看见黑人男性和白人男性的图片时 我们能更快地 把白人男性的图片和一个正面的词语联系起来 而要花更多的时间尝试将黑人的脸 同正面的词语联系起来。反之亦然:
associate:v.联合:联想:交往:adj.非正式的:副的:联合的:n.伙伴:同事: positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; vice versa:反之亦然;
When we see a black face, it is easier for us to connect black with negative than it is white with negative. 当我们看见黑人面孔时 我们更容易把黑人与负面词语联系起来 白人就不会那么轻易(和负面词语联系起来。)
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
Seventy percent of white people taking that test prefer white. 参加测试的白人中,百分之七十偏向白人
Fifty percent of black people taking that test prefer white. 参加测试的黑人中,百分之五十更喜欢白人
You see, we were all outside when the contamination came down. 你们看,我们都受到偏见的影响。
contamination:n.污染,玷污;污染物;
What do we do about the fact that our brain automatically associates ? 那么,我们要如何应对我们大脑自动产生的联系呢?
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; associates:n.同事; v.联想; (associate的第三人称单数和复数)
You know, one of the things that you probably are thinking about, and you're probably like, you know what, 你们可能正在思考, 可能正在想:
I'm just going to double down on my color blindness. 我以后决不会以肤色区分人。
Yes, I'm going to recommit to that. 好的,那我将重新讨论一下这个问题。
recommit:vt.再犯;再委托;重新提交(议案等)讨论;再关进监狱;
I'm going to suggest to you, no. 我要告诉你,不要那么做
We've gone about as far as we can go trying to make a difference trying to not see color. 我们已经竭尽所能尝试做出改变 不以肤色区分人
as far as:至于…; make a difference:有影响,有关系;
The problem was never that we saw color. It was what we did when we saw the color. 但是问题并不在于我们区分人的肤色,而是在于我们区分人的肤色后所采取的行动
It's a false ideal. 不区分人的肤色,一个错误的想法
And while we're busy pretending not to see, we are not being aware of the ways in which racial difference is changing people's possibilities, that's keeping them from thriving , and sometimes it's causing them an early death. 当我们忙于假装我们并不在乎肤色的时候 我们没有意识到,种族差异是如何 改变人内心潜在的想法,这妨碍了人们的发展 而且有时会造成他们过早死亡
racial:adj.种族的;人种的; thriving:v.兴旺发达;繁荣;旺盛;茁壮成长;(thrive的现在分词)
So in fact, what the scientists are telling us is, no way. 事实上,科学家要告诉我们,不要
Don't even think about color blindness. 忽视肤色的不同。
In fact, what they're suggesting is, stare at awesome black people. 事实上,他们想说的是: 看看那些了不起的黑人~
stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Look at them directly in their faces and memorize them, because when we look at awesome folks who are black, it helps to dissociate the association that happens automatically in our brain. 直面他们的脸,记住他们 当我们看着一些了不起的黑人的时候 这可以帮助解除 我们大脑自动产生的那些联系
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; memorize:v.记住;记忆; dissociate:vt.游离;使分离;分裂;vi.游离;分离;分裂;
Why do you think I'm showing you these beautiful black men behind me? 你们知道为什么我要展示我身后这些美丽的黑人面孔吗?
There were so many, I had to cut them. 这样的黑人有很多,我只能挑选部分
Okay, so here's the thing: 我想说的是
I'm trying to reset your automatic associations about who black men are. 我在尝试重新建立你们脑内关于黑人男性的自动联想
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版; associations:n.协会,[遗]关联(association复数);关联分析,协会组织;
I'm trying to remind you that young black men grow up to be amazing human beings who have changed our lives and made them better. 我想提醒你们 黑人男青年可以成长为非常出色的人 他们改变了我们的生活,变得更加出色
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
So here's the thing. 事实就是这样
The other possibility in science, and it's only temporarily changing our automatic assumptions , but one thing we know is that if you take a white person who is odious that you know, and stick it up next to a person of color, a black person, who is fabulous , then that sometimes actually causes us to disassociate too. 科学只能 暂时改变我们自动生成的假设 但是我们知道 如果让你拿出一张照片,上面是一个你知道的、可恶的白人 然后你把 这张照片贴到一个有色人种旁边 贴到一位出色的黑人旁边 有时候这样做,也可以帮助我们解除脑内自动生成的联系
temporarily:adv.临时地,临时; assumptions:n.假定;假设;承担;获得;(assumption的复数) odious:adj.可憎的;讨厌的; fabulous:adj.难以置信的;传说的,寓言中的;极好的; disassociate:vt.使分离;
So think Jeffrey Dahmer and Colin Powell . 所以,想想杰弗里·达默和科林·鲍威尔
Powell:n.鲍威尔(英国物理学家);
Just stare at them, right? (Laughter) 看着他们好吗?(笑声)
But these are the things. So go looking for your bias. 但是事实就是这样,所以请看看你自己的偏见
Please, please, just get out of denial and go looking for disconfirming data that will prove that in fact your old stereotypes are wrong. 请一定不要否认,去找找那些可以说服你的资料。 这将证明,事实上,你过往的成见都是错误的
Okay, so that's number one: number two, what I'm going to say is move toward young black men instead of away from them. 好的,以上就是第一点,那么第二点 我要说的是,靠近那些黑人男青年,不要躲避
It's not the hardest thing to do, but it's also one of these things where you have to be conscious and intentional about it. 虽然这并不是最困难的事 但的确有难度 你必须意识清醒地、试图这么去做
intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的;
You know, I was in a Wall Street area one time several years ago when I was with a colleague of mine, and she's really wonderful and she does diversity work with me and she's a woman of color, she's Korean . 几年前有段时间我曾在华尔街工作 我跟我的同事在一起,她是一个非常好的人 跟我一起工作,致力于多元性,她也是有色人种,是韩国人
Wall Street:n.华尔街(美国纽约金融中心和证券交易所所在地); colleague:n.同事,同僚; Korean:n.朝鲜族;韩国人;朝鲜话;adj.朝鲜的;朝鲜族的;朝鲜话的;
And we were outside, it was late at night, and we were sort of wondering where we were going, we were lost. 当时已经很晚了,我们在外面 我们迷路了, 正在想我们是走到了哪
And I saw this person across the street, and I was thinking, "Oh great, black guy." 然后我看见一个人穿过街道,我当时想,“太好了,黑人。”
I was going toward him without even thinking about it. 我想都没想地就向他走过去
And she was like, "Oh, that's interesting." 我的同事就说,“真有趣。”
The guy across the street, he was a black guy. 那个人穿过马路,是个黑人
I think black guys generally know where they're going. 我认为黑人一般都知道他们要去哪
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
I don't know why exactly I think that, but that's what I think. 我也不知道我会为什么会这样认为,但我就是这么想的
So she was saying, "Oh, you were going, 'Yay, a black guy'?" 我同事当时讲到,“你说的是,‘嘿,一个黑人。’”
She said, "I was going, 'Ooh, a black guy.'" “而我说的是,‘哦,有个黑人。’”
Other direction. Same need, same guy, same clothes, same time, same street, different reaction . 她走向了另一个方向。我们都要问路,但是面对同一个人,他就穿着那身衣服 在同一时间、同一街道,我们却有不同的反应
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
And she said, "I feel so bad. I'm a diversity consultant . “我感觉非常糟糕。我是一位多元性咨询顾问。”
consultant:n.顾问;高级顾问医师;会诊医师;
I did the black guy thing. I'm a woman of color. Oh my God!" “我居然对黑人抱有偏见。我自己也是有色人种。我的天!”
And I said, "You know what? Please. We really need to relax about this." 然后我说,“看来,我们的确需要放松一下了。”
relax:v.放松,休息;松懈,松弛;变从容;休养;
I mean, you've got to realize I go way back with black guys. 那末,你们一定意识到,我跟黑人颇有渊源了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
My dad is a black guy. You see what I'm saying? 我的父亲是一位黑人,无疑的,对吗?
I've got a 6'5" black guy son. I was married to a black guy. 我的儿子是黑人,1.65m,我和黑人结婚
My black guy thing is so wide and so deep that I can pretty much sort and figure out who that black guy is, and he was my black guy. 我和黑人的渊源很深、很广 我可以很轻易地知道一个黑人,是怎样的人 那个我们迷路后遇到的黑人,是我的朋友
He said, "Yes, ladies, I know where you're going. I'll take you there." 他说,“是的,女士,我知道你们要去的地方,我带你们去那。”
You know, biases are the stories we make up about people before we know who they actually are. 偏见是,我们在不了解一个人真实的一面时, 却杜撰了关于他子虚乌有的事。
But how are we going to know who they are when we've been told to avoid and be afraid of them? 但我们既被教导要避开他们,害怕他们, 又如何了解他们,真实的为人?
So I'm going to tell you to walk toward your discomfort . 所以我告诉你们,要直面那些让你不舒服的事情
discomfort:n.不适,不安;不便之处;vt.使…不舒服;使…不安;
And I'm not asking you to take any crazy risks. 我不是要你们去疯狂地冒险
I'm saying, just do an inventory , expand your social and professional circles. 我只是想要你们想一想: 在扩大你的社交圈,职业圈后,
inventory:n.存货,存货清单;详细目录;财产清册; expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
Who's in your circle? 你的圈子里都有谁?
Who's missing? 谁又不在其中?
How many authentic relationships do you have with young black people, folks, men, women? 你和黑人青年,不论男女, 到底建立了多少可靠的关系?
authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
Or any other major difference from who you are and how you roll, so to speak ? 换言之,他们与你在 生活方式上,有多少不同之处?
so to speak:可以说;打个譬喻说;
Because, you know what? Just look around your periphery . 看看你们的周围吧!
periphery:n.外围,边缘;圆周;圆柱体表面;
There may be somebody at work, in your classroom, in your house of worship , somewhere, there's some black young guy there. 在你工作的地方,在你所在的教室里 教堂里,不论何处,你总能看见黑人青年。
worship:n.崇拜;崇敬;爱慕;阁下;v.崇拜(上帝或神);做礼拜;热爱;崇拜;
And you're nice. You say hi. 如果你很友好,你会向他们问好。
I'm saying go deeper, closer, further, and build the kinds of relationships, the kinds of friendships that actually cause you to see the holistic person and to really go against the stereotypes. 我想说的是,让我们进一步,发掘更深层次,更亲密的关系 这样的关系,事实上,可以让你更深入了解他整个人 从而真正地与成见做斗争。
holistic:adj.整体的;全盘的; go against:不利于;违反;反对;
I know some of you are out there, 我知道你们当中部分人,
I know because I have some white friends in particular that will say, "You have no idea how awkward I am. 尤其是我的一些白人朋友会说 “你不知道我有多笨拙。”
in particular:尤其,特别; awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的;
Like, I don't think this is going to work for me. “我不认为这种方法对我有用。”
I'm sure I'm going to blow this." “我肯定会搞砸。”
Okay, maybe, but this thing is not about perfection . It's about connection. 好吧,也许如此,但是我们不需要做到完美,只要连接彼此。
perfection:n.完善;完美;
And you're not going to get comfortable before you get uncomfortable. 只有经历过痛苦,你才可能摆脱痛苦。
I mean, you just have to do it. 你必须这么做。
And young black men, what I'm saying is if someone comes your way, genuinely and authentically , take the invitation . 我的意思是,如果黑人男青年 与你相遇,你要真心地、真诚地与他交谈,
genuinely:adv.真诚地;诚实地; authentically:adv.真正地,确实地;可靠地; invitation:n.邀请,引诱
Not everyone is out to get you. 并不是所有人都会来找你。
Go looking for those people who can see your humanity . 去找找那些,可以看到你博爱之心的人-
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
You know, it's the empathy and the compassion that comes out of having relationships with people who are different from you. 和与你不同的人交往,会让你 富有同情心, 怜悯心
empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
Something really powerful and beautiful happens: you start to realize that they are you, that they are part of you, that they are you in your family, and then we cease to be bystanders and we become actors, we become advocates , and we become allies . 这样就会发生非常具有影响力、且非常美妙的事情 你就会开始意识到,他们就是你们, 他们是你们的一部分,是你们家庭的成员 这样我们就不再是旁观者。 我们成为演员,倡导者 我们成为同盟。
cease:v.(正式)停止;结束;中断;平息;n.(正式)不停地;不间断地;连续地; bystanders:n.旁观者(bystander的复数); advocates:n.拥护者; vt.主张(advocate的第三人称单数); allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数)
So go away from your comfort into a bigger, brighter thing, because that is how we will stop another Ferguson from happening. 所以离开你的家,进入到一个更广阔、更光明的区域, 这样我们将防止佛格森这样的事情再次发生。
That's how we create a community where everybody, especially young black men, can thrive. 这样我们才能建立一个社区, 在这,每个人,尤其是黑人男青年,会得到发展
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
So this last thing is going to be harder, and I know it, but I'm just going to put it out there anyway. 我要阐明的最后一点,可能有点点难以做到, 但它也是我着重阐述的:
When we see something, we have to have the courage to say something, even to the people we love. 当我们看见不对的事情的时候,我们要有勇气去表达我们的观点, 即使是面对我们喜欢的人。
You know, it's holidays and it's going to be a time when we're sitting around the table and having a good time. 假期是我们围坐在桌边, 享受美好时光的时间。
Many of us, anyways, will be in holidays, and you've got to listen to the conversations around the table. 诚然,我们很多人都要去度假。 你们肯定会围在桌边,听大家讲话
You start to say things like, "Grandma's a bigot ." 你开始说,“祖母很顽固。”
bigot:n.偏执的人;顽固者;盲信者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"Uncle Joe is racist ." “乔叔叔是一个种族主义者。”
racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的;
And you know, we love Grandma and we love Uncle Joe. We do. 但你知道,家人都爱祖母,爱乔叔叔,我们的确爱他们。
We know they're good people, but what they're saying is wrong. 我们知道他们都是不错的人,但是说的话可不对。
And we need to be able to say something, because you know who else is at the table? 我们应谈谈其他轻松的话题,(而不是背后嚼舌根)你知道桌子周围还坐着谁吗?
The children are at the table. 孩子们也坐在桌边。
And we wonder why these biases don't die, and move from generation to generation? 我一直想知道,这些偏见为什么不能消失,而是一代一代传了下来?
Because we're not saying anything. 因为我们没有出声纠正。
We've got to be willing to say, "Grandma, we don't call people that anymore." 我们需要主动说,“外婆,我们可不再那样乱嚼了。”
'"Uncle Joe, it isn't true that he deserved that. “不要这样说乔叔叔,我们不应该那样对他。”
deserved:adj.值得的;该奖[罚]的;v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的过去分词和过去式)
No one deserves that." “我们不能那样对任何人。”
deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数)
And we've got to be willing to not shelter our children from the ugliness of racism when black parents don't have the luxury to do so, especially those who have young black sons. 我们要主动 让孩子看到种族主义的丑陋之处 虽然黑人父母做不到。 但,尤其是那些,拥有年幼黑人儿子的父母
ugliness:n.丑陋,丑陋之物; racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见; luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的;
We've got to take our lovely darlings , our future, and we've got to tell them we have an amazing country with incredible ideals, we have worked incredibly hard, and we have made some progress, but we are not done. 我们一定要告诉可爱的孩子们,他们是我们的未来 我们一定要告诉他们,我们的国家很伟大,拥有很了不起的理想 我们十分努力地工作,取得一些进展 但是我们尚未达成目标。
darlings:心爱的人;亲爱的(darling的名词复数形式); incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
We still have in us this old stuff about superiority and it is causing us to embed those further into our institutions and our society and generations, and it is making for despair and disparities and a devastating devaluing of young black men. 我们仍旧保留了一些落后的东西- 关于优越性偏见的劣习。 在我们的社会中, 一代一代地传下来 让我们变得绝望。 并造成差异,而大大地削弱了黑人青年的价值
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: superiority:n.优越,优势;优越性; embed:vt.栽种;使嵌入,使插入;使深留脑中; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望; disparities:不一致(disparity的复数); devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词) devaluing:vt.使贬值;降低…的价值;vi.贬值;
We still struggle, you have to tell them, with seeing both the color and the character of young black men, but that you, and you expect them, to be part of the forces of change in this society 我们还在奋斗,你必须告诉他们 我们承认黑人青年在肤色, 性格上与我们不同 但是你们可以预见 他们会成为改变社会的力量之一
that will stand against injustice and is willing, above all other things, to make a society where young black men can be seen for all of who they are. 这个社会将与不公正做斗争,最重要的是, 它愿意让所有的人了解黑人男青年的真实面貌。
stand against:vt.反对;抵抗; injustice:n.不公正;不讲道义;
So many amazing black men, those who are the most amazing statesmen that have ever lived, brave soldiers, awesome, hardworking laborers . 我们有很多出色的黑人男性 他们是历史上最出色的政治家, 勇敢的士兵, 也是了不起的、辛勤的工人。
statesmen:n.政治家; laborers:n.劳动者(laborer的复数);工人;
These are people who are powerful preachers . 他们是富有影响力的布道者,
preachers:n.牧师;传教士;鼓吹者;
They are incredible scientists and artists and writers. 伟大的科学家、艺术家和作家,
They are dynamic comedians . 更是富有活力的喜剧演员。
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的; comedians:n.滑稽演员;喜剧演员;(comedian的复数)
They are doting grandpas, caring sons. 他们是和蔼的祖父, 体贴的儿子,
doting:adj.溺爱的;宠爱的;v.溺爱;宠爱;过分喜爱;(dote的现在分词)
They are strong fathers, and they are young men with dreams of their own. 强大的父亲。 他们也是怀有自己梦想的青年。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)