返回首页

VanJones_2020V-_如果美国总统候选人在选举后拒绝承认败选会怎样?_-

OK, as an attorney , as a political commentator , and frankly, as a former White House official , OK,我是一名律师及政治评论员, 坦率讲,还是一名前白宫官员,
I used to think I knew a lot about how America picks a president. 我曾以为自己对美国 如何选举总统非常了解。
I was wrong, I did not know. 我大错特错,我并不懂。
And this year, 而今年,
I've been doing some research into some of the fine print and all the different things in our constitution that we never talk about, and I've discovered some legal loopholes that shocked me, 我一直在研究一些 字体印刷得很小的文件, 以及我们宪法中从未讨论过的 各项不同内容, 我发现了一些让我震惊的 法律漏洞,[00:27]
attorney:n.律师(尤指代表当事人出庭者);(业务或法律事务上的)代理人; commentator:n.评论员,解说员;实况播音员;时事评论者; White House:n.白宫(美国总统官邸,位于首都华盛顿); official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员; fine print:n.(协议或法律文件中易于被忽略但重要的)小号字印刷的附加条款; constitution:n.宪法;构成;体质;组成; legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的; loopholes:n.漏洞;枪眼(loophole的复数);
I guarantee will shock you, and could determine the way that the presidential election of 2020 turns out. 我敢保证你们也会有同感, 这个发现或许会决定 2020 年总统大选的最终结果走向。
For instance , did you know that under our constitution a presidential candidate could actually lose the popular vote, fail to get a majority in the electoral college , refuse to concede , manipulate hidden mechanisms in our government and still get sworn in as the president of the United States of America ? 举个例子,你知道在我们的宪法下, 一位总统候选人可能输掉普选, 没能得到多数的选举团选票, 拒绝承认败选, 操纵政府中的潜在机制, 然后仍能宣誓就职美国总统?
guarantee:n.保证;担保;保证人;保证书;抵押品;v.保证;担保; determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排; presidential:adj.总统的;首长的;统辖的; instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: electoral college:n.总统选举团(在美国由各州选民投票推选组成,集中在一起选举总统和副总统); concede:v.承认;退让;给予,容许; manipulate:vt.操纵;操作;巧妙地处理;篡改; mechanisms:n.机制;[机]机构(mechanism的复数);机械;[机]机构学; United States of America:un.美利坚合众国;
That's a true fact. 事实就是如此。
I know it sounds like some crazy " House of Cards " episode , and I wish it was, because then we could just change the channel, but I just described to you a real-world , real-life possibility 我也知道这听起来就像 《纸牌屋》中疯狂的一集, 而我希望它是, 因为这样我们只要换台就好, 但我要跟大家说明的是 真实世界、现实生活的可能性,
that could occur this year, the year I'm talking, in 2020, or in some other year, if we don't fix some of these glitches in our system. 今年有可能发生,我在说 2020 年, 或者其他选举年, 我们只有完善体制中的漏洞,才能避免。
So if you think, though, that the American people's choice in a US presidential election should actually be sworn in to become president of the United States, please pay attention to this talk. 如果你还是认为 在美国总统大选中,美国人民所选的人 就应当宣誓就任美国总统, 请专心听这场演说。
House of Cards:n.不可靠的计划;摇摇欲坠的组织;用纸牌搭成的房子; episode:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集; described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) real-world:adj.现实生活的;工作的; real-life:adj.现实的;实在的; occur:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在; glitches:n.小故障(glitch的复数形式);小毛病; pay attention to:注意
I'm going to teach you how to stop a coup , OK? 我要教大家如何阻止一场政变,好吗?
Now, where to begin? 现在,要从何说起呢?
Alright, how about this: 好吧,就从这开始:
It turns out that one of the main safeguards of US democracy is not in the constitution at all. 结果就是美国民主的主要保障之一 完全不存在于宪法之中,
It's not in the law at all. 完全不在法律条例之内。[01:52]
coup:n.政变; v.使…颠倒; safeguards:n.保障措施; v.[安全]保护; democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治;
It's actually just a little tradition, it's a little custom. 实际上取决于一个小传统、小习俗。
And yet, this one voluntary gesture is one of the main reasons that you almost never have riots and bloodshed and strife after a US election. 然而,这个自愿举动 是非常重要的因素, 因为它,美国大选后才会 几乎没有骚乱、流血和冲突。
What I'm talking about is a concession speech. 我指的就是败选演说。
OK, it's ironic , it's the one speech no presidential candidate ever wants to give, and yet, it is that public address that is most important for the health and the well-being of our nation. 是的,很讽刺, 没有总统候选人会想要做一个败选演说, 然而,正是这个公开致辞 却对我们国家的健康、福祉 至关重要。
voluntary:adj.自愿的;志愿的;自发的;故意的;n.志愿者;自愿行动; gesture:n.手势;姿势;示意动作;表示;v.做手势;用手势表示; riots:n.暴动(riot的复数);v.骚乱(riot的第三人称单数形式);闹事; bloodshed:n.流血;杀戮; strife:n.冲突;争吵;不和; concession:n.让步;特许(权);承认;退位; ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的; well-being:n.幸福;康乐;
It's that speech, you know, when a presidential contender gives, it's after the advisers come and the media tells them, "Look, you're not going to get enough votes to be able to hit that magic number of 270 electoral college votes. 就是那个演讲,总统竞选者 发表这个演说的时机 是在顾问来了之后,媒体告诉他们的, “看,你目前无法获得足够的选票, 不可能获得 270 张 这个魔法数字的选举人票,
You're just not going to get there." 你已经不可能拿到了。”
At that moment -- you don't think about this, but the fate of the entire republic is in the hands of a single politician and their willingness to walk out there 就在那个时刻—— 你不会想到, 然而整个国家的命运 就掌握在一个政治人物手中, 就看他们是否愿意站出来,
contender:n.竞争者;角逐者;争夺者; advisers:n.顾问(adviser的复数); media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; in the hands of:由…掌握;在…掌握中; politician:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩; willingness:n.乐意;心甘情愿;自动自发;
and stand in front of their family and stand in front of the cameras and stand in front of the whole nation and say, "I am conceding the race, voluntarily . 站在他的家人面前,站在镜头前, 还有站在全国面前, 说:“我自愿承认竞选失败,
Thank you to my supporters . 感谢我的支持者们,
The other person has won now, congratulations to them, let's unite behind them, let's move on, let's be one country. 恭喜赢得选举的对手, 让我们在他们的领导下团结, 向前迈进,全国一心,
God bless America." 天佑美国。”
conceding:v.弃权让步(concede的ing形式); voluntarily:adv.自动地;以自由意志; supporters:n.拥护者;(运动队的)支持者;(supporter的复数)
You've seen it a thousand times. 这个场景你看过无数遍。
Make no mistake, this is a remarkable tradition in our country. 别误会, 这是我们国家很棒的传统。
Because at that moment, that candidate still has at her command a nationwide army of campaign activists, of die-hard partisans , tens of thousands of people. 因为,那一刻, 那位候选人仍然有能力号召 一支全国级的竞选活动大军 成员大多数是死忠党, 数以万计的人。
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的; die-hard:na.壮烈牺牲;难断气;难绝灭; partisans:n.游击队员(partisan的复数形式);
They could just as easily take up arms, take to the streets, they could do whatever they want to. 他们可以轻而易举地拿起武器, 走上街头, 为所欲为。
But that concession speech instantly demobilizes all of them. 但那个败选演说 能够瞬间解散他们所有人。
It says, "Hey, guys, stand down . 似乎在宣告:“嗨,伙计们,停下。
Folks, it's over." 各位,结束了。”
Moreover , that concession speech helps the tens of millions of people who voted for that person to accept the outcome . 此外,一场败选演讲 也帮助数千万投票给该候选人的民众 接受竞选结果。
demobilizes:v.复员;遣散;(demobilize的第三人称单数) stand down:n.暂停;停止;停工; Moreover:adv.而且;此外; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
Acknowledge the winner, however begrudgingly , and then just get up the next morning, go to work, go to school, maybe disappointed but not disloyal to America's government. 不管多么不情愿,都要承认胜利者, 明天还是得照常起床, 上班、上学, 或许会失望, 但不会对美国政府不忠。
And even more importantly, that concession speech has a technical function in that it kind of allows all the other stuff that our constitution requires after the voting, and there are a bunch of steps like, 而更重要的是, 那场败选演说还有个技术功能 它可以让宪法要求在投票后 必须推进的所有事项开始交接, 还有一大堆程序要走,
begrudgingly:adv.吝啬地;小气地; disloyal:adj.不忠的;不忠诚的;背叛的; technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
you've got the electoral college that has got to meet, you've got Congress who's got to ratify this thing, you've got an inauguration to be had, all that stuff can just move ahead on automatic pilot because after the concession speech, every subsequent step 选举人团要开会, 你要得到国会的批准, 你需要举办就职典礼, 所有这一切有条不紊向前推进, 因为在败选演说之后, 后续的每一步
to either reinstate the president or elevate a new president just happens on a rubber-stamp basis. 不论是现任总统连任 还是让新总统上任, 就会像例行公事一样进行。
The constitution requires it, but it's a rubber stamp . 这些是宪法做出的规定, 但只是例行公事而已。
Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交; ratify:vt.批准;认可; inauguration:n.就职典礼;开始,开创;开幕式; automatic pilot:n.(飞机的)自动驾驶仪;(船的)自动操舵装置; subsequent:adj.后来的,随后的; reinstate:v.使恢复原职;把…放回原处;使恢复原状; elevate:vt.提升;举起;振奋情绪等;提升…的职位; rubber-stamp:adj.盖橡皮图章的; v.不加思考就赞同[批准](计划,建议,文件等) rubber stamp:adj.盖橡皮图章的; v.不加思考就赞同[批准](计划,建议,文件等)
But we sometimes forget, candidates do not have to concede. 但是我们有时会忘记 候选人并不需要承认败选,
There's nothing that makes them concede. 没有什么机制能让他们承认败选。
It's just a norm in a year in which nothing is normal. 只是选举年的一个惯例, 而期间一切都异乎寻常。
So what if a losing candidate simply refuses to concede? 那如果失利候选人 直接拒绝承认败选会怎样?
What if there is no concession speech? 如果没有败选演讲呢?
Well, what could happen might terrify you. 好,可能发生的事情或许会让你害怕。
I think it should. 我觉得会。[04:56]
norm:n.规范;标准;定额;常态;v.规范;规定; what if:如果…怎么办? terrify:vt.恐吓;使恐怖;使害怕;
First, to give you the background, let's make sure we're on the same page , let me give you this analogy . 首先,先给你各位一些背景信息, 确保我们在同一频道, 给大家打个比方。
Think about a presidential election as a baseball game. 把总统大选想成是一场棒球比赛,
The end of the ninth inning , whoever is ahead wins, whoever is behind loses. 第九局即将结束, 领先的获胜,落后的失败,
That's baseball. 那是棒球。
But could you imagine a different world in which, in baseball, there were actually 13 innings , or 14 innings , not just nine. 但你能设想一个不同的世界, 棒球比赛 其实有 13 局或 14 局,而不是 9 局。[05:12]
on the same page:在同一页上;进度相同;达成共识; analogy:n.类比;类推;类似; inning:n.(棒球的)一局;(荒地等的)围垦;执政期;轮到显身手的机会; whoever:任何人:无论是谁: innings:n.局,回合;
But we just had a weird tradition. 但我们却有一个奇怪的传统,
If you are behind in the ninth inning, you just come out and concede. 如果你在第九局中落后, 你要出来承认输球。
Alright? 好吗?
So all those other innings don't matter. 因此,其余的赛局都无所谓。
That's really how the presidential elections work in America. 美国大选现在就是这种状况。[05:30]
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
Because the constitution actually spells out two different sets of innings. 因为其实宪法有详述 两组不同的球局设定。
You've got the popular election process that everybody pays attention to. 有一个是大家都在关注的普选流程,
And then you've got the elite selection process that everybody essentially ignores . 还有一个是精英选举流程, 基本上大家都忽略了它。
But in a close election, if nobody concedes , the second invisible process, these extra innings if you will, they actually matter a whole lot. 但是在胜负接近的选举中, 如果没有人承认败选, 这第二个隐形流程 或者说这些额外“加时赛” 其实就非常重要了。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物; selection:n.选择;选拔;挑选;被挑选的人(或物); essentially:adv.本质上;本来; ignores:v.忽视;对…不予理会;不予理睬;(ignore的第三人称单数) concedes:vt.承认;退让;给予,容许;vi.让步; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
Let me explain. 让我来解释一下。
That first set of innings, popular election, it's what you think about when you think about the presidential election. 第一组球局设定,即普选, 就是你能想到的 总体大选。
It's the primaries, the caucuses , the debates , the conventions , it's election night, it's all that stuff. 初选、党团和辩论, 多场总统辩论,以及选举之夜, 所有这些程序。
Most of the time, the loser on election night at that point just concedes. 大多数情况,选举之夜的落败方 会当即承认败选。
Why? "The American people have spoken." 为什么?“美国人民已经发话了。”
All that. 一切尘埃落定。
But according to the constitution, the game is technically not over. 但是根据宪法规定, 技术层面的较量并未结束。[06:19]
caucuses:n.党团会议(caucus的复数形式);v.开干部会议(caucus的第三人称单数形式); debates:n.[法]辩论;讨论(debate的复数);v.[法]辩论;讨论(debate的三单形式); conventions:n.[法]惯例;会议;[计]约定(convention的复数); according to:根据,据说;
After the cameras go away, after the confetti's swept away, the constitution requires this whole other set of innings. 在媒体聚光灯移开后, 庆典的彩带都扫干净后, 宪法启动了另一组赛局的角逐,
This elite selection process stuff, and this is all behind closed doors , it's among government officials. 这就是精英选举流程, 而且都是关起门来进行的, 是政府官员之间的事情。
And this process goes from the end of the vote counting in November, through December all the way and then January. 而且这个程序从 11 月投票计数结束开始, 直到 12 月并持续到 1 月。
swept:v.扫除(sweep的过去式和过去分词);adj.扫频的; behind closed doors:秘密;秘密地;紧闭的门后;与外界隔绝地;
You just never think about it, because for so many generations, these extra innings haven't mattered much because the election-night loser just concedes. 你可能从未想到, 因为在历任总统选举过程, 这种附加程序作用并不太大, 而选举夜的败选者也愿赌服输。
So this other stuff is just a formality . 而这种程序也仅是一种形式而已。
Even in 2000, vice president Al Gore gave up as soon as the Supreme Court ordered an end to the vote counting. 即使在 2000 年, 副总统阿尔·戈尔(Al Gore) 在高等法院裁定计票结束, 随后就承认败选。
Gore did not continue the fight into the state legislatures , into the electoral college, into Congress, he didn't try to discredit the results in the press. 戈尔并没有将争议提请国家司法机构裁决, 提请至选举团, 直到国会, 他也没有试图质疑媒体发布的选举结果。
formality:n.礼节;拘谨;仪式;正式手续; vice:n.恶习;缺点;[机]老虎钳;卖淫;prep.代替;v.钳住;adj.副的;代替的; as soon as:一…就; Supreme Court:最高法院; legislatures:n.立法机关(legislature的复数); discredit:v.不信;使…丢脸;n.怀疑;无信用;名声的败坏;
Frankly, he didn't send his supporters out into the streets with protest signs or pitchforks or long guns. 坦率地讲,他甚至 没有将那些举着抗议标牌 或者利叉和长枪的 抗议者送到街上。
As soon as the court said the vote count is done, he just conceded to George W. Bush . 高院宣布选举计票结束 他立刻就承认败给小布什。
Because that's what we do, that's just kind of how we do things around here. 因为这就是我们国家 当选总统的一贯做法, 这就是我们此时此地的行事方式。
protest:n.抗议;抗议书(或行动);反对;v.(公开)反对;抗议;申辩; pitchforks:n.干草叉;长柄草耙;音叉;vt.骤然把…塞进;骤然把…抛入; conceded:vt.承认;退让;给予,容许;vi.让步; Bush:n.灌木; v.以灌木装饰; adj.如灌木般长得低矮的;
You don't fight in the extra innings. 我们无需启动额外的较量。
Until maybe 2020, when one major candidate is already saying he may not accept the results of the vote counting. 或许直到 2020 年, 一位主要候选人已经发声 他可能不接受选举结果。
Curse you 2020. 该死的 2020 。
So what can happen instead? 那么,接下来会发生什么?
Instead of conceding, a losing candidate could launch a ferocious fight to grab power anyway. 与承认败选不同, 失利候选人可能发起猛烈反击 想尽一些办法攫取权力。
Or to hold onto power anyway. 或无论如何都要掌握权力。
Curse:n.诅咒;咒骂;v.诅咒;咒骂; launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射; ferocious:adj.残忍的;惊人的; grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物; hold onto:抓紧
In the courts, yes. 在法庭上,当然也不例外。
But also in the state houses, electoral college, even in Congress. 但同时在参议院、选举团,甚至是国会中。
They could file, for instance, dozens of lawsuits attempting to block the counting of millions of, like, mail-in ballots , saying they should all be thrown out, they're all fraudulent . 他们可能发起数十起法律诉讼, 企图阻止数百万的邮寄选举票, 声称它们应该排除在外, 它们全都是选举欺诈。
Then, they could demand that the states refuse to certify the election because of all this alleged fraud, or interference from a foreign power. 接下来,因为存在着这些指控的欺诈, 或来自外来势力的干涉, 他们可能要求 州政府拒绝承认选举结果。
Or the loser's party could send a rival slate of electors to the electoral college or to Congress, and say, "We're the real electors," 或失利政党可能派出一批选举人 进入选举团或国会, 并声称:“我们是真正的选举人,”
lawsuits:n.诉讼,法律诉讼;控诉(lawsuit的复数形式); attempting:v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的现在分词) ballots:n.选举(ballot的复数);不记名票;v.投票(ballot的第三人称单数); fraudulent:adj.欺骗性的;不正的; certify:v.证明;保证; alleged:adj.宣称的;涉嫌的;v.断言,指称,声称;(allege的过去分词和过去式) interference:n.干扰,冲突;干涉; rival:v.与…相匹敌;比得上;adj.竞争的;n.竞争对手; slate:n.石板;板岩;候选人名单;v.批评;抨击;预定;计划;安排;选定; electors:n.选举人;选民(elector的复数);
and create a whole situation with that. 用这个方式创造出新局面。
Any of this stuff could create such a mess in the electoral college and the Congress, that the whole matter just winds up in front of the House of Representatives for the first time since the 1800s. 任何上述方式都会给 选举团和国会带来混乱, 整个事件则会在众议院继续发酵, 这是自 19 世纪以来史无前例的。
Now, here's where it gets totally crazy. 现在,还有一个更加荒谬的地方。
If the presidential election winds up in the House of Representatives, they don't have to pay any attention at all to the popular vote or the electoral vote. 如果选举闹到了众议院中, 议员们则无需在意普选结果 或选举人投票,
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺; House of Representatives:众议院;
It's like the election never happened. 就像大选从未发生。
And then it gets even crazier. 接下来,还有更扯的。
The final tally in the House is taken not by delegates but by delegation . 负责最后机票的不是众议院代表, 而是代表团。
In other words, individual congresspeople don't get to vote. 换而言之, 国会议员个人不能去投票,
It's done by states. 是由州政府投票。
Now, get your head wrapped around this. 此刻请记住这点。
In 2020, the majority of Americans live in blue states, but there are more red states. 2020 年,大多数美国人居住在蓝州, 但红州的数目更加多:[09:16]
tally:n.计数器;标签;记账;vt.使符合;计算;记录;vi.一致;记分; delegates:n.代表(delegate的复数);v.选举…为代表;委托职责(delegate的三单形式); delegation:n.代表团;授权;委托; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; congresspeople:n.美国国会议员(不分性别的。尤其指美国众议院议员); wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式)
So there's a possibility that the Republicans in the House of Representatives could just anoint their candidate to be president, even without the popular vote, or a majority in electoral college. 因此有种可能 在众议院的共和党员 在没有赢得普选 能够把他们的候选人推上总统,
That could happen. 那是完全有可能发生的。
Now some people would call that outcome a perfectly legal, perfectly constitutional coup against the very idea of majority rule in the United States. 现在有些人会把这样的结果称之为 一场完全合法、 完美依法推进的政变, 推翻美国由多数人统治的想法。
Republicans:n.共和党,共和党员;(republican的复数形式) anoint:v.傅,涂(圣油、圣水); constitutional:adj.宪法的;本质的;体质上的;保健的;n.保健散步;保健运动; majority rule:n.多数裁定原则;
That is possible under our constitution, and it can happen this year. 在我们现有宪法条件下,这是有可能的, 而今年就可能发生。
So what can you do about it? 那么,你我能做些什么?
OK now, keep in mind , if the margin of the victory is so massive , it's truly massive , the losing candidate's political party is going to walk away and just let their leader go down. 好,现在,要记住, 如果胜负差距非常大 非常之大, 失败候选人所在政党则会拱手相让, 让他们的候选人接受现实。
Nobody is going to risk a constitutional crisis to save somebody who is super unpopular . 没有人愿意冒违反宪法的风险 来拯救一个极不受欢迎的候选人。
But if the race is close, all bets are off. 但是如果选举结果很接近, 就完全无法预测了。
And then the fight could continue long past election night. 而两党候选人的斗争 持续至选举夜后很久。
keep in mind:记住; margin:n.边缘;利润,余裕;页边的空白;v.加边于;加旁注于; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; unpopular:adj.不流行的,不受欢迎的; bets:v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿(bet的第三人称单数)
You could be, you know, trying to deal impact this whole other process you never heard of before. 你可能非常想知道其中的影响, 这其中的程序你闻所未闻。
You're going to have to be lobbying , protesting , speaking out, contacting lawmakers , a whole other process you've never done before. 你将需要去游说、 抗议、发表观点、联系立法者, 你从未做过的另一个流程。
So landing in this completely unfamiliar scenario , what can you do? 陷入这种史无前例的陌生状况, 你能做些什么?
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; lobbying:v.游说(从政者或政府);(lobby的现在分词) protesting:v.(公开)反对;抗议;坚决地表示;申辩;(protest的现在分词) contacting:v.联系,联络(contact的现在分词) lawmakers:立法者(lawmaker的复数); unfamiliar:adj.不熟悉的;不常见的;没有经验的; scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
How are we supposed to act? 我们应该怎么应对?
What are we supposed to do in this situation? 在这种情况下我们应该做些什么?
There's basically three things that matter. 基本上,有三件事至关重要。
Number one, get informed . 第一,保持信息畅通。
A number of progressive organizations are already working hard to warn Americans about this growing threat to our democracy. 不少先进组织已经在全力以赴 警告美国民众这个 对民主越来越大的威胁。[10:51]
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) basically:adv.主要地,基本上; informed:adj.见多识广的; v.通知; (inform的过去分词和过去式) progressive:adj.进步的;先进的;开明的;稳步的;n.进步人士;开明人士;改革派; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
Some organizations you could look into and research for yourself: choosedemocracy.us, electiontaskforce.org, protectdemocracy.org, mobilize.us, allamericans.org, and the Fight Back table at demos .org. 你可以去看看并研究下这些组织: 以及在 demos.org 的 Fight Back table。
All these groups are working on this. 所有这些团体都在为此努力。
Now, on the right, if that's your cup of tea, you could also check out The Heritage Foundation or the Government Accountability Institute . 那么,你站在右边,如果那是你的菜, 也可以看看美国传统基金会 (The Heritage Foundation), 或者政府问责研究所
demos:n.民众;人民;游行;录音样带(demo的复数形式); Heritage:n.遗产;传统;继承物;继承权; Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立; Accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性; Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院;
They are focused on voter fraud. 他们关注投票舞弊,
But you've got to get informed, no matter what side you're on. 无论你是左派还是右派, 你都得多了解信息。
Also, number two, you've got to get loud. 同时,第二点, 你必须大胆发声,
You've got to get loud. 你必须大胆发声。
Situation like this, these days, everybody is a media channel. 在当今的情况下, 每个人都是媒体频道,[11:36]
voter:n.选举人,投票人;有投票权者; no matter what:不管什么…;
You are the media. 你就是媒体。
So use your own voice. 因此,要发出自己的声音。
And when you do, my advice: speak to universal American values, not the partisan stuff, OK? 当你要做时,我的建议是: 谈谈众所周知的美国价值观, 而不要带有党派偏见,好吗?
Speak to the American values that every American should be down with, no matter what party they're in. 谈谈美国价值观, 所有美国人都认同的价值观, 无论他们属于哪个政党。
The idea that every voter counts and that every vote should be counted, that's an American value, period. 每个选举人的投票都算数, 以及每张选票都要计算在内, 这就是美国的价值观,就这样。
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
The notion that the majority should rule in America, that's an American value. 认为美国应当由多数人来主导, 这就是美国的价值观。
The idea that an incumbent president should concede honorably and graciously and ensure a peaceful transfer of power, rather than trying to use every trick in the book to hang on to power, that's an American value too. 在任总统应该 有风度、优雅地承认败选, 并确保权力的和平交接的想法, 而不是运用书上的种种伎俩, 贪恋权力, 这也是美国的价值观。
notion:n.观念;信念;理解; incumbent:adj.现任的;依靠的;负有职责的;n.在职者;现任者;领圣俸者; honorably:adv.体面地;值得尊敬地; graciously:adv.和蔼地;仁慈地;雅致地; ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; transfer:n.转移;调任;调离;[体]转会球员;v.调任;调走;转学;转移; hang on to:紧紧抓住;紧握;
If you stick with those values, you're going to be heard by a lot more people and help bring the country together. 如果你坚持这些价值观, 会有更多人听见你, 并帮助共同将国家团结起来。
And lastly, sorry folks, voting is not enough, 最后,抱歉伙计们,投票并不够,
You're going to have to get active, get involved . 你需要积极主动参与进来。
You could join and support with your money. 你可以参与,通过捐款给予支持。
Some existing organizations, powerful groups, like the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights , the ACLU, 某些现有的组织,非常有影响力的团体, 比如民权的领袖大会, 美国公民自由协会(ACLU),
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) Conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) Civil Rights:na.公民权;
NAACP, Legal Defense Fund , 全国有色人种协进会(NAACP), 法律保护基金(Legal Defense Fund),
Indivisible , ColorOfChange.org, these groups are going to be fighting in the courts, fighting in Congress, to try to make sure that we have a fair outcome. Invisible 和 ColorOfChange.org, 这些团体将会在法庭中斗争, 在国会中发声, 尽力确保我们有一个公平的结果。
Fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助; Indivisible:adj.不能分割的;[数]除不尽的;n.不可分割之事物;极微小物;
Those groups could use your help and your donations . 这些团需要你的帮助和捐款。
But if it gets to the point where you feel that you have to take it to the streets, that you're going to have to go outside and demonstrate and march and protest, please do it peacefully . 如果进程达到某个时刻, 你感觉到 必须走上街头, 你就必须要走出去, 进行示威、游行和抗议, 请以和平方式进行,
donations:n.捐赠物;捐赠;赠送;(donation的复数) demonstrate:vt.证明;展示;论证;vi.示威; peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地;
This is not just philosophy or morality . 这并不仅仅牵涉理念或道德。
A lot of studies have shown that it's the peaceful protests that are more successful at challenging these would-be dictators and reversing coup attempts . 许多研究表明 和平方式的抗议 比较有可能成功挑战 那些想要成为独裁者的人。
It's the peaceful ones, why? 为什么是和平方式有效?
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; morality:n.道德;品行,美德; protests:v.抗议;反对(protest的三单形式);n.抗议(protest的复数); would-be:adj.想要成为的;自称的;冒充的;n.想要成为…人; dictators:n.独裁者;发号施令者;专横的人;(dictator的复数) reversing:v.颠倒;彻底转变;使完全相反;(reverse的现在分词) attempts:n.企图,试图;尝试(attempt的复数);v.试图;努力去做(attempt的三单形式);
Because when the protests turn violent , all that chaos and carnage actually chases away supporters. 因为一旦抗议演化成暴力行为, 所有的混乱和屠杀 实际上都会吓跑支持者,
So rather than demonstrations getting bigger, and the protests getting bigger, they start to shrink . 所以示威游行并不会扩张, 抗议并不会升级, 反而开始缩小,
Then the government looks reasonable when it cracks down. 而后当政府严厉制裁抗议 就会看起来合情合理了。
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; chaos:n.混沌,混乱; carnage:n.大屠杀;残杀;大量绝灭; demonstrations:n.示范,展示(demonstration复数); shrink:v.收缩;减少;退缩;畏缩;n.精神病学家;心理学家; reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的; cracks:n.裂纹; v.破裂; (crack的第三人称单数和复数)
So it's actually a lot better to follow the guidance of the late great Gene Sharp . 因此,比较好的方式是遵从 已故伟人基恩·夏普 (Gene Sharp)的建议。
Now he has written beautifully and well about how strategically you can roll back a coup just using very smart, very disciplined , very nonviolent protest. 他用优美且出色的方式 描绘了你能够如何 用非常聪明、非常有纪律 非常和平的抗议来击退政变。
And a lot of his best ideas, and people have been influenced by that, are available in a new guidebook called, "Hold the Line." 他有很多很棒的想法,激励了许多的人, 收录在一本新书叫 《坚守阵地(Hold the Line)》。
Gene:n.基因;遗传基因;遗传因子; Sharp:锋利的,尖的 strategically:adv.战略性地;战略上; roll back:n.重算;重新运行;滚回;反绕; disciplined:adj.遵守纪律的; v.训练; (discipline的过去式和过去分词) nonviolent:adj.非暴力的;不使用暴力的; influenced:v.影响;对…起作用;支配;左右;(influence的过去分词和过去式) guidebook:n.旅行指南;指导手册;
You can look it up, it's called "Hold the Line, The Guide to Defending Democracy." 你可以去查查, 完整标题《坚守阵地:捍卫民主的指南 (Hold the Line,
And that can give you a real good framework to move forward in a smart, peaceful way if you feel that you've got to take it to the streets. 这本书能为你提供一个良好的框架, 用聪明且和平的方式向前迈进, 如果你觉得有必要走上街头, 这本书会有所帮助。
Now look, 看,
I know all this stuff is overwhelming , and I've got to admit, some of these steps may not be enough. 我知道这些内容有些难以消化, 因此,我必须承认 其中有些举动可能还不够。
A truly rogue president could call on private armed militia to try to intimidate lawmakers into keeping him or her in power. 而真正的无赖总统 可以号召私人武装力量 试图恐吓立法当局, 确保他紧握权力之杖。
Or they could just abuse their emergency powers and try to stay in office indefinitely . 或者他们可能滥用紧急权力, 试图无限期掌权。
overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) rogue:n.流氓; v.游手好闲; adj.(野兽)凶猛的; militia:n.民兵组织;自卫队;义勇军;国民军; intimidate:vt.恐吓,威胁;胁迫; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; indefinitely:adv.不确定地,无限期地;模糊地,不明确地;
So we've got some real problems in our system. 我们的体制真的有一些问题。
The best way to stop a coup is to update and strengthen our democratic system as soon as this election is over. 阻止政变的最好方法 就是选举之后尽快 完善和加强我们的民主制度。
Maybe we need to rethink , reimagine or just get rid of this whole electoral college, extra inning thing in the first place . 或许我们需要重新思考、 重新想象,或干脆替换掉 选举人制度和额外 “加时赛” 的做法。
I know for sure we've got to do a better job of protecting voter rights, of prosecuting voter intimidation and also making sure we've got the technology that nobody needs to be afraid of voter fraud. 我很确定 在保护选举人权利、 起诉恐吓选民行为方面, 我们可以把工作做得更加完善。 此外,我们也要确保我们拥有必要技术, 让大家无需担心选举舞弊的现象。
update:vt.使现代化;更新;n.现代化;更新的信息; democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的; rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法; reimagine:重新想象;再回味 in the first place:首先;起初; prosecuting:v.起诉;控告;检举;担任控方律师;继续从事(或参与);(prosecute的现在分词) intimidation:n.恐吓,威胁; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
These are the steps that we're going to have to take to make sure that we have a democracy and the democracy endures . 这些是为了确保我们拥有民主, 并且会让民主继续下去需要采取的举措。
Because never forget this: in the long sweep of human history, a democratic republic is the rarest form of government on earth. 因为,永远别忘了: 在人类历史长河中, 一个民主的共和制度 是地球上最稀缺的政府形式。
Democracies are fragile . 民主很脆弱,
Democracies can fail. 民主可能会失败。
endures:v.忍耐;忍受;持续;持久;(endure的第三人称单数) Democracies:民主; fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的;
And what citizens do or fail to do in a moment of crisis can determine the final fate of government of, by and for the people. 而民众在危机时刻的作为和不为 能决定一个民治、民有、民享政府 最终的命运。
So let's do our best, vote, but this time, we've got to stay vigilant and active, even after the ballots have been counted. 所以,让我们全力以赴, 去投票,但这一次, 我们甚至得在计票结束之后, 保持警醒和积极主动。
We've got to stay active all the way through to inauguration day . 坚持到就职典礼那天 要一直保持积极主动。
in a moment:立刻; vigilant:adj.警惕的;警醒的;注意的;警戒的; inauguration day:n.美国总统就职日(1月20日);
But I want to say to you, 但我想告诉大家的是,
I will support the winner of a free and fair election no matter which candidate wins, and I will oppose any so-called winner who prevails by twisting the process beyond recognition . 我会支持在自由、公平选举中 产生出的最终胜利者, 无论哪位候选人获胜, 而我将反对任何通过扭曲流程 而获得胜利的所谓赢家。
Because any American should be willing to concede an election, but no American should concede the core principles of democracy itself. 因为任何美国人都应坦然接受选举结果, 但没有一个美国人应该 对民主本身的核心原则让步。
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
oppose:v.反对(计划、政策等);抵制;阻挠;(在竞赛中)与…对垒; so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的; prevails:胜过,获胜;生效;流行,盛行;占优势(prevail的第三人称单数); twisting:v.使弯曲;转动(身体部位);(twist的现在分词) recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可; core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核; principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)