返回首页

ValarieKaur_2017W-_在愤怒的时代,革命之爱带来的三堂课_

(Sikh Prayer) Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, (锡克教祷告)Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
There is a moment on the birthing table that feels like dying. 在生产的过程中有一个时刻, 感觉好像要死了一样。
The body in labor stretches to form an impossible circle. 分娩中的身体绷张, 形成一个不可能的圆。
stretches:v.拉长; n.一片; (stretch的第三人称单数和复数)
The contractions are less than a minute apart. 子宫收缩的间距少于一分钟。
contractions:n.收缩;缩略形式(contraction的复数);
Wave after wave, there is barely time to breathe. 一波接着一波,几乎没有时间呼吸。
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
The medical term: " transition ," 医学的说法叫做: 「过渡期」,
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
because "feels like dying" is not scientific enough. 因为「感觉快要死掉」 这个说法不够科学。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I checked. 我有查过。
During my transition, my husband was pressing down on my sacrum to keep my body from breaking. 在我的过渡期, 我先生压着我的骨盆, 避免我的身体断裂。
sacrum:n.[解剖]骶骨;[解剖]荐骨;
My father was waiting behind the hospital curtain ... 我父亲等在医院的帘子外面,
more like hiding. 比较像是在躲。
But my mother was at my side. 但我母亲在我身边。
The midwife said she could see the baby's head, but all I could feel was a ring of fire. 助产士说,她看见宝宝的头了, 但我只能感受到一个火圈。
midwife:n.助产士;促成因素;vt.助胎儿出生;促成;
I turned to my mother and said, "I can't," 我转向我母亲说:「我办不到。」
but she was already pouring my grandfather's prayer in my ear. 但她已经在我耳边 念起了我祖父的祷告。
pouring:v.倾倒;倾泻;连续流出;倒出;喷发;(pour的现在分词)
(Sikh Prayer) "Tati Vao Na Lagi, Par Brahm Sarnai." (锡克教祷告)「Tati Vao Na Lagi, Par Brahm Sarnai.」
'"The hot winds cannot touch you." 「炙热的风也伤不了你。」
'"You are brave," she said. 「你很勇敢,」她说,
'"You are brave." 「你很勇敢。」
And suddenly I saw my grandmother standing behind my mother. 突然间,我看到我的祖母 站在我母亲身后。
And her mother behind her. 她的母亲站在她身后。
And her mother behind her. 还有她的母亲站在她身后。
A long line of women who had pushed through the fire before me. 一长列的女人,她们都 在我之前通过了烈火。
I took a breath; 我深呼吸;
I pushed; my son was born. 我用力推; 我的儿子出生了。
As I held him in my arms, shaking and sobbing from the rush of oxytocin that flooded my body, my mother was already preparing to feed me. 我把他搂在怀中, 一边发抖一边呜咽, 我体内湍流的催产素 使我情绪激烈, 而我母亲已准备要喂食我了。
sobbing:v.哭诉;泣诉;抽噎着说;(sob的现在分词) oxytocin:n.[药]催产素;缩宫素;脑下垂体后叶荷尔蒙之一种;
Nursing her baby as I nursed mine. 当我照料我的宝贝时, 她也要照料她的宝贝。
My mother had never stopped laboring for me, from my birth to my son's birth. 我母亲从来没有停止为我付出, 从我出生,到我儿子出生。
laboring:adj.劳动的;n.劳动;操劳;
She already knew what I was just beginning to name. 我才要开始认识的, 她都已经知道了。
That love is more than a rush of feeling that happens to us if we're lucky. 爱不仅是偶然遇到的强烈感情
Love is sweet labor. 爱,是甜蜜的分娩。
Fierce . 猛烈的。
Fierce:adj.凶猛的;猛烈的;暴躁的;
Bloody . 血腥的。
Bloody:adj.血腥的;血淋淋的;v.血染;
Imperfect . 不完美的。
Imperfect:adj.有缺点的; n.未完成体; v.有瑕疵地;
Life-giving . 给予生命的。
Life-giving:adj.提神的;给与生命的;
A choice we make over and over again . 我们一而再,再而三做出的选择。
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
I am an American civil rights activist who has labored with communities of color since September 11, fighting unjust policies by the state and acts of hate in the street. 我是个美国民权活动家, 自从 911 以来,就和 有色人种的社群一起努力, 对抗不公平的国家政策, 以及街头的仇恨行为。
civil rights:na.公民权; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子; labored:adj.吃力的;费劲的;不自然的;v.工作;劳动;分娩(labor的过去分词); communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) unjust:adj.不公平的,不公正的;非正义的; policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
And in our most painful moments, in the face of the fires of injustice , 在我们最痛苦的时刻, 面临不公正的烈火,
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; in the face of:面对; injustice:n.不公正;不讲道义;
I have seen labors of love deliver us. 我曾见过爱的分娩成功解救我们。
labors:n.劳动;工作;劳工;分娩;vi.劳动;努力;苦干;vt.详细分析;使厌烦;
My life on the frontlines of fighting hate in America has been a study in what I've come to call revolutionary love. 我在美国前线对抗仇恨的的经验 成为我所称「革命之爱」的研究。
frontlines:前线(frontline的名词复数); revolutionary:adj.革命性的;革命的;彻底变革的;n.改革者;革命者;
Revolutionary love is the choice to enter into labor for others who do not look like us, for our opponents who hurt us and for ourselves. 革命之爱是一个选择, 选择为他人进入分娩。 为了那些外表和我们不同的人、 为了伤害我们的对手、 为了我们自己。
enter into:进入;讨论;成为…的一部分;研讨;分享;体谅; opponents:n.对手(opponent的复数形式);
In this era of enormous rage , when the fires are burning all around us, 在这个怒火强盛的时代, 当我们周遭都燃烧着烈火,
era:n.新时期;纪元;年代;新时代; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; rage:n.狂怒;暴怒;(某情况引起的)愤怒;v.发怒;怒斥;猛烈地继续;激烈进行;
I believe that revolutionary love is the call of our times. 我相信,革命之爱 就是我们时代的呼唤。
Now, if you cringe when people say, "Love is the answer ..." 如果人们说「爱就是答案」时 你会翻白眼,
cringe:vi.畏缩;奉承;阿谀;n.畏缩;奉承;
I do, too. 我也一样。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I am a lawyer. 我是个律师。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So let me show you how I came to see love as a force for social justice through three lessons. 所以,让我告诉各位我如何 把爱视为社会正义的力量, 我会用三个课题来谈。
My first encounter with hate was in the schoolyard . 我初次遭遇到仇恨,是在校园。
encounter:v.遭遇,邂逅;遇到;n.遭遇,偶然碰见; schoolyard:n.校园;运动场;
I was a little girl growing up in California, where my family has lived and farmed for a century. 我是在加州长大的小女孩, 我的家人在那里居住 并耕种了一个世纪。
When I was told that I would go to hell because I was not Christian, called a "black dog" because I was not white, 当我被告知因为我不是 基督徒,所以会下地狱, 当我被称为「黑狗」, 因为我不是白人,
I ran to my grandfather's arms. 我跑到我祖父的怀抱。
Papa Ji dried my tears -- gave me the words of Guru Nanak, the founder of the Sikh faith . 吉爸爸就会擦干我的眼泪, 引述锡克教创始人 拿那克宗师的话。
Guru:n.古鲁(指印度教等宗教的宗师或领袖);领袖;专家; founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工; faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰;
'"I see no stranger," said Nanak. 拿那克说:「我看见的 都不是陌生人,
'"I see no enemy." 我看见的都不是敌人。」
My grandfather taught me that I could choose to see all the faces I meet and wonder about them. 我祖父教我, 我可以选择去看见 所有我遇见的面孔, 并对他们感到好奇。
And if I wonder about them, then I will listen to their stories even when it's hard. 如果我对他们感到好奇, 我就会倾听他们的 故事,即使很困难。
I will refuse to hate them even when they hate me. 我会拒绝去恨他们, 即使他们恨我。
I will even vow to protect them when they are in harm's way. 当他们身处危机时, 我甚至会发誓要保护他们。
vow:n.发誓;誓言;许愿;v.发誓;郑重宣告;vi.发誓;郑重宣告;
That's what it means to be a Sikh: 那就是身为锡克教徒的意义。
S-i-k-h. S-i-k-h(锡克教徒)。
To walk the path of a warrior saint . 追随战士圣徒的路。
warrior:n.勇士; saint:n.圣人;圣徒;道德崇高的人;adj.神圣的;v.成为圣徒;
He told me the story of the first Sikh woman warrior, 他告诉我关于第一个 锡克女战士的故事,
Mai Bhago. 她叫麦巴果。
The story goes there were 40 soldiers who abandoned their post during a great battle against an empire. 故事是说,有四十名士兵 放弃了他们的的岗位, 在对抗帝国的伟大战役中。
abandoned:adj.被抛弃的放纵的;v.抛弃;丢弃,离开;放弃;(abandon的过去分词和过去式)
They returned to a village, and this village woman turned to them and said, "You will not abandon the fight. 他们返回一个村落, 这个村中女子对他们说: 「你们不能弃战而逃。
You will return to the fire, and I will lead you." 你们要返回战火中, 我会领导你们。」
She mounted a horse. 她骑上一匹马。
mounted:adj.骑马的; v.准备; (mount的过去分词和过去式)
She donned a turban . 她缠上头巾。
donned:v.披上;穿上;戴上;(don的过去分词和过去式) turban:n.穆斯林的头巾;女用头巾;无檐帽,狭边帽;
And with sword in her hand and fire in her eyes, she led them where no one else would. 手上拿着剑,眼睛散发出火焰, 领导他们到没人愿意去的地方。
She became the one she was waiting for. 她化身为她所期待的人。
'"Don't abandon your posts, my dear." 「不要弃守你的岗位,亲爱的。」
My grandfather saw me as a warrior. 我祖父把我视为一个战士。
I was a little girl in two long braids , but I promised. 我是绑着两条长辫子的小女孩, 但我做了承诺。
braids:n.辫子(braid的复数);穗带;
watching the Twin Towers fall, the horror stuck in my throat, and then a face flashes on the screen: a brown man with a turban and beard, and I realize that our nation's new enemy looks like my grandfather. 看着双子星大楼垮下, 恐惧卡在我的喉咙中, 接着,一个面孔在萤幕上闪过: 褐色皮肤的男子, 绑着头巾留着胡子, 我惊觉,我们国家的新敌人 看起来就像我的祖父。
horror:n.恐惧;厌恶;震惊;对某事物的强烈畏惧(或憎恨); flashes:n.闪光灯;光芒;披峰;v.闪光;反射;(flash的第三人称单数和复数)
And these turbans meant to represent our commitment to serve cast us as terrorists. 这头巾的本意是 象征我们对服务的承诺, 却让我们被归为恐怖份子。
turbans:n.穆斯林的头巾;女用头巾;无檐帽,狭边帽; represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
And Sikhs became targets of hate, alongside our Muslim brothers and sisters. 锡克教徒与穆斯林的兄弟姐妹一起 成为仇恨的对象。
The first person killed in a hate crime after September 11 was a Sikh man, standing in front of his gas station in Arizona . 在 911 之后第一个在仇恨犯罪中 被杀害的人是个锡克教男子, 在亚利桑那州, 他在他的加油站门口被杀。
hate crime:n.(因种族、同性恋等歧视引起的)仇恨犯罪;仇恨犯罪行为; gas station:n.(汽车)加油站; Arizona:n.美国亚利桑那州;
Balbir Singh Sodhi was a family friend I called "uncle," 柏比尔辛格索迪是我们家的 朋友,我叫他「叔叔」,
murdered by a man who called himself " patriot ." 他被一个自称「爱国者」的人谋杀。
patriot:n.爱国者;
He is the first of many to have been killed, but his story -- our stories barely made the evening news. 在他之后还有许多人被杀害, 但他的故事── 我们的故事, 晚间新闻根本不在乎。
I didn't know what to do, but I had a camera, 我不知道该怎么做, 但我有一台摄影机,
I faced the fire. 我决定面对烈焰,
I went to his widow , 我去找他的遗霜,
widow:n.寡妇;遗孀;vt.使丧偶;使成为寡妇(或鳏夫);
Joginder Kaur. 裘金德柯尔。
I wept with her, and I asked her, "What would you like to tell the people of America?" 我和她一起哭泣,我问她: 「你想要对美国人民说什么?」
wept:v.哭泣(weep的过去式);
I was expecting blame. 我预期听到的是责难。
But she looked at me and said, "Tell them, 'Thank you.' 3,000 Americans came to my husband's memorial . 但她看着我,说: 「告诉他们『谢谢你们』, 三千名美国人参与我先生的追悼。
memorial:adj.纪念的;悼念的;n.纪念碑(或像等);纪念品;
They did not know me, but they wept with me. 他们不认识我, 但他们与我一起哭泣。
Tell them, 'Thank you.'" 告诉他们『谢谢你们』。」
Thousands of people showed up, because unlike national news, the local media told Balbir Uncle's story. 数千人出席, 因为和全国新闻不同, 当地媒体报导了 柏比尔叔叔的故事。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
Stories can create the wonder that turns strangers into sisters and brothers. 故事能创造奇迹, 让陌生人转变成兄弟姐妹。
This was my first lesson in revolutionary love -- that stories can help us see no stranger. 这是我关于革命之爱的第一课── 故事能协助我们 看到的都不是陌生人。
And so ... 所以…
my camera became my sword. 我的摄影机成了我的剑。
My law degree became my shield . 我的法律学位成了我的盾。
shield:n.盾;防护物;保护者;v.遮蔽;包庇;避开;保卫;
My film partner became my husband. 我的影片搭挡成了我的先生。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I didn't expect that. 这不在我预期当中。
And we became part of a generation of advocates working with communities facing their own fires. 我们成了倡导者世代的一部分, 和面对自己烈焰的社群合作。
advocates:n.拥护者; vt.主张(advocate的第三人称单数);
I worked inside of supermax prisons, on the shores of Guantanamo , at the sites of mass shootings when the blood was still fresh on the ground. 我在超高度安全管理的 监狱中工作过, 在关塔那摩湾的海滨, 在大规模枪击事件现场, 地上的血都还是新鲜的。
supermax:n.超最大值;速伯玛公司(经销及出口胶乳手套的公司); Guantanamo:n.关塔那摩(古巴); sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式); mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集;
And every time, for 15 years, with every film, with every lawsuit , with every campaign, 每一次, 十五年来, 经过每部影片、每场诉讼、 每个活动,
lawsuit:n.诉讼;[法]官司;诉讼案件;
I thought we were making the nation safer for the next generation. 我都以为我们会让国家更安全, 为了我们的下一代。
And then my son was born. 接着,我儿子出生了。
In a time ... 在于一个时代…
when hate crimes against our communities are at the highest they have been since 9/11. 当对我们族群的仇恨犯罪 在 911 之后达到最高点。
When right-wing nationalist movements are on the rise around the globe and have captured the presidency of the United States. 当全球各地的右翼 民族主义运动正高涨, 且已获得美国总统的职位。
right-wing:adj.右翼的;右派的; nationalist:n.民族主义者; adj.民族主义的(等于nationalistic); captured:adj.捕获的;被俘的;v.捕获;占领;引起;(capture的过去式和过去分词) presidency:n.总统(或董事长,会长,大学校长等)的职位(任期);管辖;支配; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
When white supremacists march in our streets, torches high, hoods off. 当白人优越主义者在 我们的街道上游行示威, 高举火把,毫不遮掩。
supremacists:n.种族优越论者;(supremacist的复数) torches:n.电筒; v.放火; hoods:兜帽;
And I have to reckon with the fact that my son is growing up in a country more dangerous for him than the one I was given. 我得要去面对这个事实: 我儿子将在一个对他 更危险的国家中长大, 比赐予我的国家更危险。
reckon:v.认为;想;估计;计算;
And there will be moments when I cannot protect him when he is seen as a terrorist ... 将会有些时候, 我无法保护他, 他会被视为恐怖分子…
just as black people in America are still seen as criminal. 就像在美国的黑人 仍然被视为是罪犯,
Brown people, illegal . 褐色皮肤的人被视为非法移民,
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
Queer and trans people, immoral . 同性恋和变性者被视为不道德,
Queer:adj.奇怪的; vt.搞糟; n.同性恋者; immoral:adj.不道德的;邪恶的;淫荡的;
Indigenous people, savage . 原住民被视为野蛮人,
Indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的; savage:adj.野蛮的; n.未开化的; vt.乱咬;
Women and girls as property. 女人和女孩被视为资产。
And when they fail to see our bodies as some mother's child, it becomes easier to ban us, detain us, deport us, imprison us, sacrifice us for the illusion of security. 当他们不把我们的身体 视为是某位母亲的孩子, 就更容易禁止我们、 拘留我们、 驱逐我们、 监禁我们、 为了安全的幻影而牺牲我们。
detain:vt.拘留;留住;耽搁; deport:v.驱逐出境;举止;放逐; imprison:vt.监禁;关押;使…下狱; sacrifice:n.牺牲;舍弃;祭献;祭祀;祭品;v.牺牲;献出;作祭献 illusion:n.幻觉,错觉;错误的观念或信仰;
(Applause) (掌声)
I wanted to abandon my post. 我真想要弃守我的岗位。
But I made a promise, so I returned to the gas station where Balbir Singh Sodhi was killed 15 years to the day. 但我许过承诺, 所以,我回到那加油站, 柏比尔辛格索迪 十五年前被杀的地方。
I set down a candle in the spot where he bled to death. 在他流血至死的地点, 我点了一根蜡烛。
bled:v.流血;失血;给(某人)放血;长期榨取(某人的钱);(bleed的过去分词和过去式)
His brother, Rana, turned to me and said, "Nothing has changed." 他的兄弟拉纳转向我, 说:「什么都没有改变。」
And I asked, "Who have we not yet tried to love?" 我问: 「我们还没有试着去爱谁?」
We decided to call the murderer in prison. 我们决定打电话给监狱中的兇手。
The phone rings. 电话响着。
My heart is beating in my ears. 我可以听见我的心跳。
I hear the voice of Frank Roque , a man who once said ... 我听见法兰克洛克的声音, 这个人曾经说过:
Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄; Roque:n.槌球;(美)短柄槌球(一种在硬地面上玩的游戏);
'"I'm going to go out and shoot some towel heads. 「我要出去射杀一些包头巾的人。
We should kill their children, too." 我们也该杀了他们的孩子。」
And every emotional impulse in me says, "I can't." 我心里所有情绪冲动 都在说:「我办不到。」
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; impulse:n.冲动;[电子]脉冲;刺激;神经冲动;推动力;v.推动;
It becomes an act of will to wonder. 那是对意志力的考验,我想要知道
'"Why?" I ask. 「为什么?」
'"Why did you agree to speak with us?" 「为什么你同意和我们通话?」
Frank says, "I'm sorry for what happened, but I'm also sorry for all the people killed on 9/11." 法兰克说:「对于 发生的事,我感到遗憾, 但我也对 911 所有的 受害者感到遗憾。」
He fails to take responsibility. 他没能负起责任。
I become angry to protect Rana, but Rana is still wondering about Frank -- listening -- responds . 我变得很生气,想保护拉纳, 但拉纳还是对法兰克感到好奇── 倾听── 回应。
responds:v.(口头或书面)回答,回应;作出反应;响应;(respond的第三人称单数)
'"Frank, this is the first time I'm hearing you say that you feel sorry." 「法兰克,这是我第一次听见你说 你感到遗憾。」
And Frank -- 而法兰克──
Frank says, "Yes. 法兰克说:「是的。
I am sorry for what I did to your brother. 对于我对你兄弟 所做的事,我感到遗憾。
One day when I go to heaven to be judged by God, 将来,当我上了天堂, 接受神的审判时,
I will ask to see your brother. 我会请求要见你的兄弟。
And I will hug him. 我会拥抱他。
And I will ask him for forgiveness ." 我会向他请求原谅。」
forgiveness:n.宽恕;原谅;宽宏大量
And Rana says ... 而拉纳说:
'"We already forgave you." 「我们已经原谅你了。」
Forgiveness is not forgetting. 原谅并不是忘记。
Forgiveness is freedom from hate. 原谅,是从仇恨中解脱。
Because when we are free from hate, we see the ones who hurt us not as monsters, but as people who themselves are wounded , who themselves feel threatened, 因为当我们从仇恨中解脱, 我们不会把伤害我们的人 视为禽兽, 而是本身也受伤的人, 本身感到被威胁的人,
wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式)
who don't know what else to do with their insecurity but to hurt us, to pull the trigger , or cast the boat, or pass the policy aimed at us. 他们不知道如何处理不安全感, 只好伤害我们,扣下扳机, 投下那一票, 或通过针对我们的政策。
insecurity:n.不安全;不牢靠;无把握;心神不定; trigger:n.触发器; v.触发; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
But if some of us begin to wonder about them, listen even to their stories, we learn that participation in oppression comes at a cost. 但,如果我们有些人 开始对他们感到好奇, 甚至去倾听他们的故事, 我们会学到迫害他人是有代价的。
participation:n.参与;分享;参股; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼;
It cuts them off from their own capacity to love. 那会让他们失去爱的能力。
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
This was my second lesson in revolutionary love. 这是我关于革命之爱的第二课。
We love our opponents when we tend the wound in them. 当我们照料对手的伤口时, 我们是在爱他们。
Tending to the wound is not healing them -- only they can do that. 照料伤口并非治愈他们── 那要他们自己才能做到。
healing:n.康复; adj.痊愈中的; v.(使)康复,复原; (heal的现在分词)
Just tending to it allows us to see our opponents: the terrorist, the fanatic , the demagogue . 仅仅是去照料,就让我们能够 看见我们的对手: 恐怖分子、狂热者、煽动者。
fanatic:n.狂热入迷者;盲信者;盲信;adj.狂热的;盲信的; demagogue:n.煽动者;煽动家;煽动政治家;
They've been radicalized by cultures and policies that we together can change. 他们被文化和政策给极端化, 这是我们同心协力可以改变的。
radicalized:vt.使…激进;使…偏激;vi.激进化;成为过激论者;
I looked back on all of our campaigns, and I realized that any time we fought bad actors, we didn't change very much. 我回顾我们所有的活动, 我发现到,任何时候, 当我们对抗不好的人物时, 我们并没有改变很多。
But when we chose to wield our swords and shields to battle bad systems, that's when we saw change. 但当我们选择使用我们的剑和盾 来对抗不好的体制时, 我们就能够看见改变。
wield:v.拥有,运用,行使,支配(权力等); shields:n.盾牌; v.屏蔽; (shield的第三人称单数)
I have worked on campaigns that released hundreds of people out of solitary confinement , reformed a corrupt police department , changed federal hate crimes policy. 我曾参与过一些运动, 将数百人从单独监禁中解放, 改革一个腐败的警局, 改变政府的仇恨犯罪政策。
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) solitary confinement:n.单独监禁;单独禁闭; reformed:adj.改革过的;新教的;v.改革(reform的过去分词和过去式); corrupt:v.损坏;破坏;使腐化;使堕落;adj.贪污的;受贿的;腐败的;营私舞弊的; police department:n.(美国城市中的)警察局; federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地;
The choice to love our opponents is moral and pragmatic , and it opens up the previously unimaginable possibility of reconciliation . 选择去爱我们的对手 是道德且务实的, 这么做,能打开先前 无法想像的可能性, 和解的可能性。
pragmatic:adj.实际的;实用主义的;国事的; previously:adv.先前;以前; unimaginable:adj.不可思议的;难以想像的; reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿;
But remember ... 但,切记…
it took 15 years to make that phone call. 我花了十五年才打了那通电话。
I had to tend to my own rage and grief first. 我得要先照料 我自己的怒火和悲恸。
grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸;
Loving our opponents requires us to love ourselves. 若要爱我们的对手, 我们得要先能爱自己。
Gandhi , King, Mandela -- they taught a lot about how to love others and opponents. 甘地、金恩、曼德拉── 他们有很多关于如何 去爱他人与对手的教导。
Gandhi:n.甘地(印度政府,社会和宗教领袖);
They didn't talk a lot about loving ourselves. 他们很少谈到爱自己。
This is a feminist intervention . 这是女权主义的干预行动。
feminist:n.男女平等主义者;adj.主张男女平等的; intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍;
(Applause) (掌声)
Yes. 是的。
Yes. 是的。
(Applause) (掌声)
Because for too long have women and women of color been told to suppress their rage, suppress their grief in the name of love and forgiveness. 因为长久以来, 女性以及有色女性都被告诫 要压抑她们的怒火, 压抑她们的悲恸,以爱和宽恕之名。
suppress:vt.抑制;镇压;废止; in the name of:以…的名义;
But when we suppress our rage, that's when it hardens into hate directed outward , but usually directed inward . 但,当我们压抑我们的怒火, 它就会更强化,外表转变仇恨导向, 但通常会导向内在。
hardens:vi.变硬,变坚固; vt.使…变硬; outward:n.外表; adj.表面的; v.同"outwards.outwardandhomeward"; inward:adj.向内的; v.向内; n.内部;
But mothering has taught me that all of our emotions are necessary. 但身为人母让我学到, 我们所有的情绪都是必要的。
emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
Joy is the gift of love. 喜悦是爱的礼物。
Grief is the price of love. 悲恸是爱的代价。
Anger is the force that protects it. 愤怒是保护它的力量。
This was my third lesson in revolutionary love. 这是我革命之爱的第三课。
We love ourselves when we breathe through the fire of pain and refuse to let it harden into hate. 我们要爱自己, 当我们通过痛苦的烈焰, 并拒绝让它强化成为仇恨。
That's why I believe that love must be practiced in all three directions to be revolutionary. 这就是为什么我相信 爱是要练习的,三个方向都要练习, 才能成为革命之爱。
Loving just ourselves feels good, but it's narcissism . 只爱自己,感觉很好, 但那叫做自恋。
narcissism:n.[心理]自恋,自我陶醉;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Loving only our opponents is self-loathing . 只爱我们的对手,是自我嫌恶。
self-loathing:n.自我讨厌的;自我憎恨的;
Loving only others is ineffective . 只爱他人,是没作用的。
ineffective:adj.无效的,失效的;不起作用的;
This is where a lot of our movements live right now. 现在我们很多运动都还在这范围内。
We need to practice all three forms of love. 我们需要练习全部三种形式的爱。
And so, how do we practice it? 所以,我们要如何练习?
Ready? 准备好了吗?
Number one ... 第一:
in order to love others, see no stranger. 若要爱他人, 就需不视他人为异客。
We can train our eyes to look upon strangers on the street, on the subway, on the screen, and say in our minds, "Brother, sister, aunt, uncle." 我们能训练我们的眼睛, 在看街上、地铁上、 萤幕上的陌生人时, 在心中说: 「兄弟、 姐妹、 阿姨、 叔叔。」
And when we say this, what we are saying is, "You are a part of me I do not yet know. 当我们这样说时,我们其实是在说: 「你是我的一部分, 我尚未了解的部分。
I choose to wonder about you. 我选择对你感到好奇。
I will listen for your stories and pick up a sword when you are in harm's way." 我会倾听你的故事, 当你身处危险时,我会拿起剑。」
listen for:倾听;
And so, number two: in order to love our opponents, tend the wound. 所以,第二: 若要爱我们的对手, 要照料伤口。
Can you see the wound in the ones who hurt you? 你能否看见伤害你的人的伤口?
Can you wonder even about them? 你能否对他们感到好奇?
And if this question sends panic through your body, then your most revolutionary act is to wonder, listen and respond to your own needs. 如果这个问题让你感到全身慌乱, 那么你最革命性的行动, 就是去好奇、倾听, 并回应你自己的需求。
panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措;
Number three: in order to love ourselves, breathe and push. 第三: 若要爱我们自己, 呼吸,并用力推。
When we are pushing into the fires in our bodies or the fires in the world, we need to be breathing together in order to be pushing together. 当我们要朝体内的烈火 或世界上的烈火推进时, 我们得要一起呼吸, 才能够一起推。
How are you breathing each day? 你每一天呼吸得如何?
Who are you breathing with? 你和谁一起呼吸?
Because ... 因为…
when executive orders and news of violence hits our bodies hard, sometimes less than a minute apart, it feels like dying. 当行政命令和暴力新闻 重重地击中我们的身体时, 有时间隔还不到一分钟, 感觉就像要死了一样。
executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
In those moments, my son places his hand on my cheek and says, "Dance time, mommy?" 在那些时候, 我的儿子会把他的手 放在我的脸颊上,说: 「该跳舞了,妈咪?」
And we dance. 我们就跳舞。
In the darkness, we breathe and we dance. 在黑暗中,我们呼吸,我们跳舞。
Our family becomes a pocket of revolutionary love. 我们的家庭变成了革命之爱的容器。
Our joy is an act of moral resistance . 我们的喜悦是道德抗争。
resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力;
How are you protecting your joy each day? 你每天如何保护你的喜悦?
Because in joy we see even darkness with new eyes. 因为在喜悦中,即使是黑暗, 我们都能有新观点。
And so the mother in me asks, what if this darkness is not the darkness of the tomb, but the darkness of the womb ? 所以,我内在的母亲问道, 如果这并不是坟墓的黑暗, 而是子宫的黑暗呢?
what if:如果…怎么办? womb:n.[解剖]子宫;发源地;vt.容纳;
What if our future is not dead, but still waiting to be born? 如果我们的未来并没有死亡, 而是等着要诞生呢?
What if this is our great transition? 如果这是我们伟大的过渡期呢?
Remember the wisdom of the midwife. 切记助产士的智慧。
wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
'"Breathe," she says. 她说:「呼吸,」
And then -- "push." 接着 「用力推。」
Because if we don't push, we will die. 因为如果我们不推,我们会死亡。
If we don't breathe, we will die. 如果我们不呼吸,我们会死亡。
Revolutionary love requires us to breathe and push through the fire with a warrior's heart and a saint's eyes so that one day ... 革命之爱需要我们呼吸 并在烈火中用力推进, 带着战士的心和圣人的眼睛, 这么一来,有一天…
push through:完成;挤著穿过;
one day you will see my son as your own and protect him when I am not there. 有一天,你会把我的儿子 视为是你自己的儿子, 当我不在他身边时,你会保护他。
You will tend to the wound in the ones who want to hurt him. 你会照料想要伤害他的人的伤口。
You will teach him how to love himself because you love yourself. 你会教导他如何爱他自己, 因为你爱你自己。
You will whisper in his ear, as I whisper in yours, "You are brave." 你会对他耳语, 就像我对你耳语: 「你很勇敢。」
whisper:v.耳语;低语;私语;小声说;n.耳语(声);低语(声);私语(声);轻柔的声音;
You are brave. 你很勇敢。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
(Sikh Prayer) Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, (锡克祷告)Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
(Applause) (掌声)
(Cheering) (欢呼)
(Applause) (掌声)