返回首页

TsheringTobgay_2019T-_保护世界的“第三极”迫在眉睫_-

On the 17th of October, 2009, 2009 年 10 月 17 日,
President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives did something unusual. 马尔代夫总统穆罕默德·纳希德 做出了一个不寻常的举动。
Maldives:n.马尔代夫(亚洲群岛国家名);
He held his cabinet meeting underwater . 他在水下召开了内阁会议。
cabinet:n.内阁;储藏柜;陈列柜;adj.内阁的;小房间用的;玲珑的;细木工做的; underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
He literally took his ministers scuba diving , as it were , to warn the world that his country could drown unless we control global warming . 他和与会官员一起进行水肺潜水, 以警示世人,除非全球变暖得到控制, 否则马尔代夫将被海水淹没。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: ministers:n.部长,大臣; v.辅助; (minister的第三人称单数和复数) scuba:n.水肺;水中呼吸器; diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词) as it were:可以说是,似乎就是;好像; drown:v.淹没;溺死;浸透;浸泡; global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
Now I don't know whether he got his message across to the world or not, but he certainly caught mine. 虽然我不知道这一信息 是否被全世界的关注, 但我确实注意到了。
I saw a political stunt . 在我看来,这是个政治噱头。
stunt:n.特技;噱头;特技表演;危险举动;vt.妨碍发展;遏制
You see, I'm a politician , and I notice these things. 大家知道我是个政治家, 因此会注意到这些事情。
politician:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;
And let's be honest, the Maldives are distant from where I come from -- my country is Bhutan -- so I didn't lose any sleep over their impending fate. 实话实说, 我来自不丹, 离马尔代夫很远, 其不幸的命运并不会使我寝食难安。
distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; impending:adj.迫在眉睫的; v.(事件,危险等)逼近; (impend的现在分词)
Barely two months later, I saw another political stunt. 仅在两个月后, 我又看到了另一个政治噱头。
Barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
This time, the prime minister of Nepal, he held his cabinet meeting on Mount Everest . 这次是尼泊尔首相 在珠峰上召开了内阁会议。
prime minister:n.首相;总理; Mount:n.山;坐骑;山峰;衬纸板;v.登上;爬上;攀登;准备; Everest:n.珠穆朗玛峰(世界最高峰);
He took all his ministers all the way up to the base camp of Everest to warn the world that the Himalayan glaciers were melting . 他和部长一起登上了珠峰大本营 来警示世人 喜马拉雅的冰川正在消融。
base camp:n.登山大本营; Himalayan:adj.喜玛拉雅山脉的; glaciers:n.[地理][水文]冰川(glacier的复数);[地理][水文]冰河; melting:adj.感人的;v.(使)熔化,融化;(melt的现在分词)
Now did that worry me? 这次我该担心了吧?
You bet it did. 八九不离十吧。
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
I live in the Himalayas. 毕竟我就生活在喜马拉雅山麓。
But did I lose any sleep over his message? 但我寝食难安了吗?
No. 并没有。
I wasn't ready to let a political stunt interfere with my beauty sleep . 我才不要让一个政治噱头 搅了我的好梦。
interfere:v.干涉;干预;介入; beauty sleep:n.美容觉(夜间睡足以保持健康美丽);
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now fast-forward 10 years. 现在让我们快进十年。
fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进;
In February this year, 今年二月份时,
I saw this report. 我看到了这份报道。
This here report basically concludes that one-third of the ice on the Hindu Kush Himalaya mountains could melt by the end of the century. 其中主要提到了 兴都库什-喜马拉雅山区 三分之一的冰川 在本世纪末之前将完全消融。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; concludes:v.结束; (conclude的第三人称单数) Hindu:adj.印度的;印度教的;n.印度人;印度教教徒;
But that's only if, if we are able to contain global warming to 1.5 degrees centigrade over preindustrial levels. 但这发生的前提是, 我们设法将全球变暖控制在 比前工业时期水平高 1.5 摄氏度的范围内。
centigrade:adj.摄氏的;[仪]摄氏温度的;百分度的; preindustrial:adj.工业化前的;未工业化的;
Otherwise, if we can't, the glaciers would melt much faster. 如果我们失败了, 冰川将加速消融。
1.5 degrees Celsius . "No way," I thought. 1.5 度,我想,“这不可能。”
Celsius:adj.摄氏的;n.摄氏度;
Even the Paris Agreement's ambitious targets aimed to limit global warming to two degrees centigrade. 即使是巴黎协定也只是立志 把全球变暖控制在 2 摄氏度之内。
ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的;
1.5 degrees centigrade is what they call the best-case scenario . 1.5 度只是个理想状态。
best-case:adj.为最佳情况设计的;供最佳情况下使用的;从最佳情况考虑的; scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
'"Now this can't be true," I thought. 我想,“这不可能是真的。”
The Hindu Kush Himalaya region is the world's third-largest repository of ice, after the North and South Poles . 兴都库什-喜马拉雅山地区 拥有世界上第三多的冰川, 仅次于南北极。
region:n.地区;范围;部位; repository:n.贮藏室,仓库;知识库;智囊团; Poles:n.极点(pole的复数形式);雪杖;杆位次数;
That's why we are also called the "Third Pole." 因此得名“第三极”。
There's a lot of ice in the region. 该地区有大量冰川。
And yes, the glaciers, they are melting. 而冰川正在消融。
We know that. 这众所周知。
I have been to those in my country. 我去过那里。
I've seen them, and yes, they are melting. 亲眼所见,这些冰川的确正在消融。
They are vulnerable . 它们很脆弱。
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
'"But they can't be that vulnerable," I remember thinking. “但它们不可能这么脆弱。”
But what if they are? 如果真的是这样呢?
what if:如果…怎么办?
What if our glaciers melt much more quickly than I anticipate ? 如果冰川比我预计的消融得更快呢?
anticipate:v.预期,期望;占先,抢先;提前使用;
What if our glaciers are much more vulnerable than previously thought? 如果冰川比我先前认为 的更不堪一击呢?
previously:adv.先前;以前;
And what if, as a result , the glacial lakes -- now these are lakes that form when glaciers melt -- what if those lakes burst under the weight of additional water? 如果那些由冰川融水 形成的冰川湖 由于水量过剩而决堤呢?
as a result:结果; glacial:adj.冰的;冰冷的;冰河时代的; burst:v.破裂;爆炸;突破;冲进;n.爆发;点射;释放;(情感的)迸发; additional:adj.附加的,额外的;
And what if those floods cascade into other glacial lakes, creating even bigger outbursts ? 如果洪水涌进其他冰川湖 从而导致了更猛烈的决堤呢?
cascade:n.小瀑布,瀑布状物;串联;vi.像瀑布般大量倾泻下来;vi.像瀑布般悬挂着; outbursts:爆发;突发(outburst的复数);
That would create unprecedented flash floods in my country. 在我的国家,这将造成 史无前例的洪灾,
unprecedented:adj.空前的;无前例的; flash:n.闪光; v.闪光; adj.庞大的;
That would wreck my country. 或将毁坏我的国家。
wreck:n.严重损毁人或物;沉船;v.破坏;损坏;毁掉;使遇难;
That would wreak havoc in my country. 造成混乱和失序。
wreak:v.造成(巨大的破坏或伤害); havoc:n.大破坏;浩劫;蹂躏;v.严重破坏;损毁;
That would have the potential to literally destroy our land, our livelihood , our way of life. 可能摧毁土地、 生命以及生活。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; livelihood:n.生计,生活;营生;
So that report caught my attention in ways that political stunts couldn't. 所以这个报道不同于别的政治噱头 引起了我的注意。
stunts:n.特技表演; v.遏制; (stunt的第三人称单数和复数)
It was put together by the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development, or ICIMOD, which is based in Nepal. 该报道是由 总部设在尼泊尔的 国际山区综合开发中心(ICIMOD)发表的。
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; Centre:中心 Integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词)
Scientists and experts have studied our glaciers for decades, and their report kept me awake at night, agonizing about the bad news and what it meant for my country and my people. 科学家们已经对冰川研究了几十年, 他们的报道使我夜不能寐, 对这个坏消息焦虑不已, 不断思考这对我的国家和人们 意味着什么。
agonizing:adj.痛苦的;令人焦虑不安的;v.苦苦思索;焦虑不已;(agonize的现在分词)
So after several sleepless nights, 因此在数个不能成眠的夜晚之后,
sleepless:adj.失眠的;不休息的;警觉的;永不停息的;
I went to Nepal to visit ICIMOD. 我去拜访了国际山区综合开发中心。
I found a team of highly competent and dedicated scientists there, and here's what they told me. 我遇到了一支由高水平的具有 奉献精神的科学家组成的队伍, 他们告诉我。
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; competent:adj.胜任的;有能力的;能干的;足够的; dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式)
Number one: the Hindu Kush Himalaya glaciers have been melting for some time now. 首先: 兴都库什-喜马拉雅山地区 的冰川现在正在消融。
Take that glacier, for instance . 比方说,
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
It's on Mount Everest. 珠峰上的冰川。
As you can see , this once massive glacier has already lost much of its ice. 虽然曾经体量很大, 但现在却大大缩减了。
As you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
Number two: the glaciers are now melting much more quickly -- so quickly, in fact, that at just 1.5 degrees centigrade of global warming, one-third of the glaciers would melt. 其次: 现在冰川消融得更快了, 以至于如果气温上升 1.5 度 三分之一的冰川将会消失。
At two degrees centigrade of global warming, half the glaciers would disappear . 气温上升 2 度, 一半的冰川将不复存在。
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
And if current trends were to continue, a full two-thirds of our glaciers would vanish . 如果该趋势持续下去, 三分之二的冰川将不见踪影。
trends:n.趋势;倾向;动态;动向;(trend的第三人称单数和复数) two-thirds:n.三分之二;三分之二的;三分之二地; vanish:v.消失;突然不见;成为零;n.弱化音;
Number three: global warming means that our mountains receive more rain and less snow ... 第三: 全球变暖还意味着山区降雨更多, 降雪却更少。
and, unlike snowfall , rain melts ice, which just hurts the health of our glaciers. 不同于降雪,雨水会融化冰, 进一步危及冰川。
snowfall:n.降雪;降雪量; melts:n.[冶]熔体(melt的复数);v.熔化(melt的第三人称单数形式);
Number four: pollution in the region has increased the amount of black carbon that's deposited on our glaciers. 第四: 该地区的污染使得黑碳排放增加, 这些黑碳会沉积在冰川表面。
carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; deposited:v.存放;储存;放置(deposit的过去分词);adj.存放的;堆积的;
Black carbon is like soot . 和煤烟类似。
soot:n.煤烟,烟灰;vt.用煤烟熏黑;以煤烟弄脏;
Black carbon absorbs heat and just accelerates the melting of glaciers. 黑碳可以吸收热量 从而加速冰川消融。
absorbs:v.吸收;吸引…的注意(absorb的第三人称单数形式); accelerates:vt.使…加快;使…增速;vi.加速;促进;增加;
To summarize , our glaciers are melting rapidly, and global warming is making them melt much more quickly. 总结一下, 冰川正在迅速消融, 全球变暖则加速了这一过程。
summarize:v.总结;概述;概括;归纳;
But what does this mean? 这意味着什么呢?
It means that the 240 million people who live in the Hindu Kush Himalaya region -- in Afghanistan , Pakistan, India, China, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar and my own beloved country, Bhutan -- these people will be directly affected. 这表明住在兴都库什-喜马拉雅山地区的 2 亿 4 千万人, 也就是居住在阿富汗、巴基斯坦、 中国、印度、尼泊尔、孟加拉国、缅甸 以及我亲爱的祖国 ——不丹的人们—— 将受到直接影响。
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); Myanmar:n.缅甸(东南亚国家); beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友; directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
When glaciers melt, when there's more rain and less snow, there will be huge changes in the way water behaves . 当冰川消融, 降雨增加,降雪减少, 水的运作将发生重大变化。
in the way:妨碍;挡道; behaves:v.表现;表现得体;有礼貌;(behave的第三人称单数)
There will be more extremes : more intense rain, more flash floods, more landslides , more glacial lake outburst floods. 那会出现更多的极端情况: 这会带来更密集的降雨, 更频繁的暴洪和塌方, 导致更多冰川湖泊决堤。
extremes:n.极端不同的感情;极端;极度;极限;(extreme的复数) intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; landslides:n.[地质]滑坡; v.在竞选中以压倒优胜获胜;
All this will cause unimaginable destruction in a region that already has some of the poorest people on earth. 在这个已经有世界上部分 最贫穷的人口的地区, 其破坏力不可估量。
unimaginable:adj.不可思议的;难以想像的; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
But it's not just the people in the immediate region who'll be affected. 但不仅仅是上述地区的居民 会受到影响。
People living downstream will also be hit hard. 生活在下游的居民也将会受到影响。
downstream:adv.下游地;顺流而下;adj.下游的;顺流的;
That's because 10 of their major rivers originate in the Hindu Kush Himalaya mountains. 因为有 10 条主要河流 都发源于兴都库什-喜马拉雅山地区。
originate:vt.引起;创作;vi.发源;发生;起航;
These rivers provide critical water for agriculture and drinking water to more than 1.6 billion people living downstream. 这些河流为生活在下游 的 16 亿居民带来了宝贵的 农业用水和饮用水。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; drinking water:n.饮用水;
That's one in five humans. 该地区拥有世界上 1/5 的人口。
That's why the Hindu Kush Himalaya mountains are also called the "water towers of Asia." 这就是为什么兴都库什-喜马拉雅山地区 也被誉为“亚洲水塔”的原因。
But when glaciers melt, when monsoons turn severe , those rivers will obviously flood, so there will be deluges when water is not required and droughts will be very common, when water is desperately required. 但倘若冰川消融, 降雨量显著增加, 造成河流泛滥, 带来不合时宜的暴雨。 在雨水少的季节, 又产生经常性的旱灾。
monsoons:季节风; severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; deluges:n.洪水;泛滥;暴雨;vt.使泛滥;压倒; droughts:n.[气候]干旱(drought的复数);旱灾灾情; desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;
In short, Asia's water tower will be broken, and that will be disastrous for one-fifth of humanity . 总之,亚洲水塔的崩坏 会为世界 1/5 的人口 带来灾难性的后果。
water tower:n.水塔; disastrous:adj.灾难性的;损失惨重的;悲伤的; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
Should the rest of the world care? 世界上的其他人应该关心吗?
Should you, for instance, care? 你应该关心吗?
Remember, I didn't care when I heard that the Maldives could disappear underwater. 还记得吗,在听到马尔代夫 即将消失的不幸时 我漠不关心。
And that is the crux of the problem, isn't it? 但这正是问题的关键,不是吗?
crux:n.关键;难题;十字架形,坩埚;
We don't care. 除非我们个人受到了影响,
We don't care until we are personally affected. 否则我们从不关心。
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
I mean, we know. We know climate change is real. 我是说,我们都知道, 都了解全球变暖是真实的。
We know that we face drastic and dramatic change. 明白我们将经历翻天覆地的改变。
drastic:adj.激烈的;猛烈的;n.烈性泻药; dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
We know that it is coming fast. 懂得这一天很快就会到来。
Yet most of us act as if everything were normal. 然而我们大多数人 表现得好像什么都没发生一样。
So we must care, all of us, and if you can't care for those who are affected by the melting of glaciers, you should at least care for yourself. 但我们所有人, 必须关心, 即使你不关心那些正在 遭受冰川消融之害的人们, 你至少应该关心自己。
That's because the Hindu Kush Himalaya mountains -- the entire region is like the pulse of the planet. 因为兴都库什-喜马拉雅山地区 就好像是整个地球的脉搏。
pulse:n.脉冲;脉搏;脉率;强劲的音乐节拍;v.搏动;跳动;震动;洋溢着;
If the region falls sick, the entire planet will eventually suffer. 如果这个地区病入膏肓, 整个地球都不会好过。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
And right now, with our glaciers melting rapidly, the region is not just sick -- it is crying out for help. 现在, 这个冰川正在迅速消融的地方, 这个还有药可医的地区, 正在祈求着帮助。
And how will it affect the rest of the world? 它会对世界上其他地方 造成什么样的影响呢?
One obvious scenario is the potential destabilization caused by tens of millions of climate refugees , who'll be forced to move because they have no or little water, or because their livelihoods have been destroyed by the melting of glaciers. 一个明显的可能情景就是潜在的不稳定 将会带来成百上千万的气候难民。 冰川消融造成的水资源短缺 或者生计被毁, 使得他们不得不离开故土。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; destabilization:n.不稳定;扰动; refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数) livelihoods:n.赚钱謀生的手段;生计;(livelihood的复数)
Another scenario we can't take lightly is the potential of conflict over water and the political destabilization in a region that has three nuclear powers: 另一个不能忽视的情况 是三个拥有核武器的国家, 可能会因冰川消融形成潜在 的水资源冲突和政治动荡:
lightly:adv.轻轻地;轻松地;容易地;不费力地; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触; nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的;
China, India, Pakistan. 它们是中国、印度和巴基斯坦。
I believe that the situation in our region is grave enough to warrant the creation of a new intergovernmental agency . 我相信既然我们这个地区 的情况已经如此糟糕, 一个政府间代理机构 的创立势在必行。
grave:adj.重大的;严肃的;黯淡的;n.墓穴,坟墓;死亡;v.雕刻;铭记; warrant:n.依据;许可证;执行令;授权令;v.使有必要;使正当;使恰当; creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物; intergovernmental:adj.政府间的; agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
So as a native from that part of the world, 作为该地区的一份子,
native:adj.本国的;土著的;天然的;与生俱来的;天赋的;n.本地人;土产;当地居民;
I want to propose here, today, the establishment of the Third Pole Council , a high-level , intergovernmental organization tasked with the singular responsibility of protecting the world's third-largest repository of ice. 今天在这里,我想提出倡议, 建立一个“第三极委员会”, 以这个政府间的高级别合作机构 来肩负保护世界第三大冰川容量的 这个重大责任。
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算; establishment:n.大型组织;企业;旅馆;权威人士;建立; Council:n.(市、郡等的)政务委员会;市政(或地方管理)服务机构; high-level:adj.高级的;高阶层的;在高空的; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; singular:adj.单数的;单一的;非凡的;异常的;n.单数;
A Third Pole Council would consist of all eight countries located in the region as member countries, as equal member countries, and could also include representative organizations 该“第三极委员会” 将会吸纳该地区的所有八个国家 作为成员国, 地位平等的成员国, 并接受在该地区有相关切身利益的国家
consist:v.(与…)一致;并存;共存;由…组成; located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) representative:n.代表; adj.典型的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
and other countries who have vested interests in the region as non-voting members. 和代表性组织 作为无表决权成员。
vested:v.给予;授予某人某种权力;归属;(vest的过去式)adj.既定的;穿着祭服的 non-voting:adj.弃权的;不投票的;
But the big idea is to get all stakeholders together to work together. 但大的理念 是让所有利益相关团体共同协作,
stakeholders:n.利益相关者;赌款保存人(stakeholder的复数);
To work together to monitor the health of the glaciers; to work together to shape and implement policies to protect our glaciers, and, by extension , to protect the billions of people who depend on our glaciers. 关注冰川现状 制定和贯彻保护冰川的政策, 跟进一步, 保护那些赖以生存的几十亿人民。
implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具; policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) extension:n.延长;延期;扩大;伸展;电话分机;
We have to work together, because thinking globally, acting locally ... 我们必须共同努力, 因为全球思考,地方行动
locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上;
does not work. 只会收效甚微。
We've tried that in Bhutan. 在不丹已经有过类似的尝试
We've made immense sacrifices to act locally ... 我们为地方行动做出了很大的牺牲,
immense:adj.巨大的,广大的;无边无际的;非常好的; sacrifices:n.牺牲,损失; v.牺牲,损失(sacrifice的单三形式);
and while individual localized efforts will continue to be important, they cannot stand up to the onslaught of climate change. 然而尽管个体地方化的努力很重要, 但他们个体的力量却无法 与全球气候变暖抗衡。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; localized:adj.局部的;地区的;小范围的;v.定位(localize的过去分词); stand up to:经得起;抵抗;勇敢地面对; onslaught:n.猛攻;突击;
To stand up to climate change, we must work together. 因此,为应对气候变暖, 我们必须共同努力。
We must think globally and act regionally . 必须全球思考,区域行动。
regionally:adv.地域性地,地方地;
Our entire region must come together, to work together, to fight climate change together, to make our voices heard together. 整个地区都必须携起手来, 共同努力, 共同抵御气候变暖, 让世界听到我们的诉求。
And that includes India and China. 中国和印度
They must step up their game. 也需要参与进来。
They must take the ownership of the fight to protect our glaciers. 他们必须共同保护冰川。
And for that, these two countries, these two powerful giants , must reduce their own greenhouse gases, control their pollution, and lead the fight. 与此同时,这两大国家 也必须减少温室气体排放, 控制污染,起带头作用。
giants:n.巨人;大汉;巨兽;巨树;(giant的复数) greenhouse:n.温室;暖房;
Lead the global fight against climate change. 领导全球对抗气候变暖的斗争。
And all that with a renewed sense of urgency . 这件事迫在眉睫。
renewed:adj.再次发生的; v.重新开始; (renew的过去分词和过去式) urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事;
Only then -- and that, too, only maybe -- will our region and other regions that depend on our glaciers have any chance to avoid major catastrophes . 只有这样, 这个区域 和依赖于冰川的其他区域 才有可能避免重大灾难。
regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数) catastrophes:n.灾难;灾祸;横祸;不幸事件;困难;(catastrophe的复数)
Time is running out. 时间有限。
We must act together, now. 现在亟待行动。
Otherwise, the next time Nepal's cabinet meets on Mount Everest, that spectacular backdrop ... 否则,下次尼泊尔在珠峰召开的内阁会议 其背景
spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; backdrop:n.背景;背景幕;交流声;
may look quite different. 将会大不相同。
And if that happens, if our glaciers melt, rising sea levels could well drown the Maldives. 如果这真的发生了, 冰川消融 造成的海平面上升将淹没马尔代夫,
And while they can hold their cabinet meetings underwater to send an SOS to the world, their country can keep existing only if their islands keep existing. 而只有当马尔代夫还继续存在, 他们在水下召开的 向全世界呼救的内阁会议 才得以发生。
The Maldives are still distant, away. 马尔代夫依旧很远。
Their islands are distant from where I live. 依旧和不丹远隔重洋。
But now, I pay close attention to what happens out there. 但现在我却在密切关注那里发生了什么。
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (鼓掌)