返回首页

TonyFadell_2015-_设计的首要秘密…留意_

In the great 1980s movie "The Blues Brothers," 在1980年的着名电影《蓝调兄弟》里,
there's a scene where John Belushi goes to visit Dan Aykroyd in his apartment in Chicago for the very first time. 有一幕是约翰·布鲁斯第一次到丹·艾克罗伊德的 芝加哥公寓去找他.
It's a cramped , tiny space and it's just three feet away from the train tracks . 那是一个很窄、很小的房间, 而且离铁轨就三英尺远。
cramped:adj.狭小的;拥挤的;密密麻麻的;v.阻碍,阻止;(cramp的过去分词和过去式) tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数)
As John sits on Dan's bed, a train goes rushing by, rattling everything in the room. 当约翰坐在丹的床上, 一辆火车呼啸而过, 房间内的每样东西都发出咯咯声.
rattling:v.很; adj.格格地响的; v.发出咔嗒咔嗒的声音; (rattle的现在分词)
John asks, "How often does that train go by?" 约翰问:“火车多久过去一辆?”
Dan replies, "So often, you won't even notice it." 丹回答:“太频繁了,你甚至都不会注意到。”
And then, something falls off the wall . 就在那时,一个东西从墙上掉了下来。
off the wall:adj.异乎寻常的;疯狂的,疯疯癫癫的;
We all know what he's talking about. 我们都懂他说的意思.
As human beings, we get used to everyday things really fast. 作为人类,我们对日常生活的东西 都很快就司空见惯。
get used to:开始习惯于
As a product designer, it's my job to see those everyday things, to feel them, and try to improve upon them. 作为一个产品设计师,我的工作是去观察这些日常生活的东西, 去感受他们,并尝试改善他们。
improve:v.改进;改善;
For example, see this piece of fruit? 比如,看到这个水果了吗?
See this little sticker ? 看到这上面的小标签了吗?
sticker:n.粘贴标签;贴纸;
That sticker wasn't there when I was a kid. 我小的时候这上面可没有标签,
But somewhere as the years passed, someone had the bright idea to put that sticker on the fruit. 但许多年之后, 某些人想出把标签贴在水果上的好主意.
Why? 为什么?
So it could be easier for us to check out at the grocery counter. 因为它可以让我们更容易地 在商店柜台结账。
grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
Well that's great, we can get in and out of the store quickly. 是的这挺好的, 我们可以更快地进出商店了.
But now, there's a new problem. 但是现在又有一个新的问题.
When we get home and we're hungry and we see this ripe , juicy piece of fruit on the counter, we just want to pick it up and eat it. 当我们回家感觉饿了, 我们看到了桌上这个成熟多汁的水果, 我们想就把它拿起来、吃下去.
ripe:adj.成熟的;口味浓郁的;醇美可口的;强烈的;
Except now, we have to look for this little sticker. 但现在,我们要找到这个小标签
And dig at it with our nails, damaging the flesh . 然后用指甲挖掉它,破坏了果肉
flesh:n.肉;肉体;v.喂肉给…;发胖;
Then rolling up that sticker -- you know what I mean. 接着,卷起那个小标签… 你懂我意思的。
And then trying to flick it off your fingers. 然后用力把它从你手指上甩掉。
flick:v.轻弹;忽然摇动;轻轻拂去;n.弹开;快速的轻打;轻打声;
(Applause) (鼓掌)
It's not fun, not at all . 这并不好玩, 一点也不好玩。
not at all:毫无;一点也不;不用谢;
But something interesting happened. 但有趣的事情就发生了,
See the first time you did it, you probably felt those feelings. 想想,你第一次这么做,
You just wanted to eat the piece of fruit. 你就想吃掉这个水果,你会觉得这种感觉
You felt upset . 让你很烦躁。
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
You just wanted to dive in. 你只是想开始大吃起来.
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动);
By the 10th time, you started to become less upset and you just started peeling the label off. 但到了第十次, 你开始觉得不那么烦躁了, 然后你开始去撕掉这个标签.
label:n.标签;标记;谓;唱片公司;v.贴标签于;用标签标明;
By the 100th time, at least for me, 到第一百次的时候,至少对于我来说,
I became numb to it. 我开始对它麻木了。
I simply picked up the piece of fruit, dug at it with my nails, tried to flick it off, and then wondered, "Was there another sticker?" 我只是拿起水果, 用我指甲去抠它,努力甩掉它 然后怀疑一下, 有没有另一张标签?
So why is that? 所以,为什么会这样呢?
Why do we get used to everyday things? 为什么我们就习惯了这些日常的东西呢?
Well as human beings, we have limited brain power. 好吧作为人类,我们的脑能量有限,
limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
And so our brains encode the everyday things we do into habits so we can free up space to learn new things. 所以我们的脑袋就自动把我们做的日常的东西编码成习惯, 于是我们可以腾出一些空间来学习新的东西.
encode:vt.(将文字材料)译成密码;编码,编制成计算机语言;
It's a process called habituation and it's one of the most basic ways, as humans, we learn. 这是一个被称作习惯化的过程. 是作为人类最基础的学习方式之一。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; habituation:n.(对麻醉品等的)适应;毒瘾;成为习惯;
Now, habituation isn't always bad. 习惯化并不总是不好的.
Remember learning to drive? 你还记得你学开车的时候吗?
I sure do. 我肯定你记得.
Your hands clenched at 10 and 2 on the wheel , looking at every single object out there -- the cars, the lights, the pedestrians . 你的双手紧握方向盘,放在十点钟和两点钟方向, 看着车外面的每样东西-- 汽车、信号灯、行人。
clenched:v.捏紧,攥紧(拳头等),咬紧(牙齿等);(clench的过去分词和过去式) wheel:车轮,转动 pedestrians:n.行人(pedestrian的复数);
It's a nerve-wracking experience. 这是个神经高度紧张的经历。
nerve-wracking:adj.非常伤脑筋的,极端令人头疼的(等于nerve-racking);
So much so, that I couldn't even talk to anyone else in the car and I couldn't even listen to music. 紧张到我都不能和车里的任何人说话, 我甚至连音乐也没法听。
But then something interesting happened. 但有趣的事情发生了。
As the weeks went by, driving became easier and easier. 几周过去了开车变得越来越容易,
You habituated it. 你习惯了。
habituated:adj.熟悉(某事)的; v.使自己习惯于; (habituate的过去式和过去分词)
It started to become fun and second nature . 它开始变成一个有趣、自然的反应.
second nature:n.第二天性;习性;
And then, you could talk to your friends again and listen to music. 然后你又可以和你的朋友说话了, 又可以听音乐了.
So there's a good reason why our brains habituate things. 所以这是个我们的脑袋习惯化的好理由
If we didn't, we'd notice every little detail, all the time. 因为如果我们不这么做 我们会一直关注每个小细节
It would be exhausting , and we'd have no time to learn about new things. 这会让人精疲力尽 而且我们也没有时间去学新的东西
exhausting:adj.使人精疲力竭的;v.耗尽;使筋疲力尽;(exhaust的现在分词)
But sometimes, habituation isn't good. 但有时候,习惯化并不是好事
If it stops us from noticing the problems that are around us, well, that's bad. 如果它妨碍了我们去留意身边存在的问题 那它就是不好的
And if it stops us from noticing and fixing those problems, well, then that's really bad. 如果它妨碍了我们留意并去修正那些问题 那它真的很不好
Comedians know all about this. 喜剧演员很清楚这个
Comedians:n.滑稽演员;喜剧演员;(comedian的复数)
Jerry Seinfeld's entire career was built on noticing those little details, those idiotic things we do every day that we don't even remember. 杰里·赛恩菲尔德的整个演艺生涯都是建立在留意那些小细节之上的 那些我们每天都在做的、甚至我们都不记得的很愚蠢的事情
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; idiotic:adj.白痴的;愚蠢的;
He tells us about the time he visited his friends and he just wanted to take a comfortable shower. 他告诉我们,有一次他去找他的朋友 他想要舒服地洗个澡
He'd reach out and grab the handle and turn it slightly one way, and it was 100 degrees too hot. 他就伸出手抓住手柄,轻轻地向一个方向转动 水温太高,热超过100华氏度
grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物; handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸; slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
And then he'd turn it the other way, and it was 100 degrees too cold. 然后他把它转向另一个方向水温又太低,冷超过100华氏度
He just wanted a comfortable shower. 他只是想要洗一个舒舒服服的澡
Now, we've all been there, we just don't remember it. 我们都有过这种经历 只是我们不记得了
But Jerry did, and that's a comedian's job. 但杰里记得 那是一个喜剧演员的工作
But designers, innovators and entrepreneurs , it's our job to not just notice those things, but to go one step further and try to fix them. 但是对于设计师、革新者和创业的人们 我们的工作不但要去留意那些小东西 还要向前一步、尝试去修正它们
innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式); entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
See this, this person, this is Mary Anderson. 看这个人 这是玛莉·安德森(译者注:着名美国演员)
In 1902 in New York City, she was visiting. 1902年 她去纽约的时候
It was a cold, wet, snowy day and she was warm inside a streetcar . 那是一个又冷又湿的下雪天她坐在温暖的有轨电车里
streetcar:n.有轨电车;
As she was going to her destination, she noticed the driver opening the window to clean off the excess snow so he could drive safely. 当她快到站时,她注意到司机打开窗户 清除过量的雪,以保证安全驾驶
excess:n.超过,超额;过度,过量;无节制;adj.额外的,过量的;附加的;
When he opened the window, though, he let all this cold, wet air inside, making all the passengers miserable . 但当他打开窗户时他让这些又冷又湿的空气跑进来 让所有的乘客苦不堪言
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
Now probably, most of those passengers just thought, "It's a fact of life, he's got to open the window to clean it. 这时,也许大部分乘客都会想 “这就是生活的现实,他需要打开窗户去清扫
That's just how it is." 就是这么回事。”
But Mary didn't. 但玛莉不这么想。
Mary thought, " What if the diver could actually clean the windshield from the inside so that he could stay safe and drive and the passengers could actually stay warm?" 玛莉想, “如果司机能够从里面去清扫挡风玻璃 那不就能让他保证驾驶安全 还能让乘客也可以保持温暖?”
What if:如果…怎么办? diver:n.潜水者;跳水的选手;潜鸟; windshield:n.挡风玻璃;
So she picked up her sketchbook right then and there, and began drawing what would become the world's first windshield wiper . 于是她拿起她的随手小画本就在那个时间,那个地方, 她开始画了起来,那后来变成世界上第一个雨刮器。
sketchbook:n.小品集;写生簿;随笔集; windshield wiper:n.雨刷;
Now as a product designer, I try to learn from people like Mary to try to see the world the way it really is, not the way we think it is. 而我,作为一个产品设计师我向玛莉这样的人们学习。 试着看出这个世界原本的样子, 而不是我们所认为的样子。
Why? 为什么?
Because it's easy to solve a problem that almost everyone sees. 因为解决一个每个人都看得到的问题是很容易的。
But it's hard to solve a problem that almost no one sees. 但解决一个几乎没人看得到的问题是很难的。
Now some people think you're born with this ability or you're not, as if Mary Anderson was hardwired at birth to see the world more clearly. 好了,有人开始觉得你拥有这种天赋 或者你不拥有, 就好像假设玛莉.安德森是天生就具备了看清世界的能力。
hardwired:adj.电路的;
That wasn't the case for me. 而我没有这种能力。
I had to work at it. 那我就必须努力。
During my years at Apple, 我在苹果公司那些年,
Steve Jobs challenged us to come into work every day, to see our products through the eyes of the customer, the new customer, the one that has fears and possible frustrations 史蒂夫·乔布斯挑战我们让我们每天都深入我们的设计, 看我们能否从客户的角度去观察产品, 从一个新客户的角度, 从一个对于新科技产品会害怕、可能有疑惑
frustrations:n.沮丧;受阻;阻止;挫败;(frustration的复数)
and hopeful exhilaration that their new technology product could work straightaway for them. 但又满心希望它是简单易懂的 用户的角度。
exhilaration:n.愉快;令人高兴; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; straightaway:n.直线跑道;adj.通俗易懂的;立刻的;笔直的;
He called it staying beginners , and wanted to make sure that we focused on those tiny little details to make them faster, easier and seamless for the new customers. 他称之为归零心态, 而且想确保我们关注于那些小细节, 让它们为新客户们工作得更快、更简便、更顺畅。
beginners:n.初学者;生手;首创者(beginner的复数); seamless:adj.无缝的;无缝合线的;无伤痕的;
So I remember this clearly in the very earliest days of the iPod. 所以我清晰地记得我在 iPod 时最开始的那些日子,
See, back in the '90s, being a gadget freak like I am, 在九十年代, 一个像我这样疯狂于小电器的人,
gadget:n.小玩意;小器具;小配件;诡计; freak:n.怪人,怪事;畸形人;反复无常;adj.奇异的,反常的;
I would rush out to the store for the very, very latest gadget. 我会第一时间冲到商店为了买最新的小电器。
I'd take all the time to get to the store, 我花了所有的时间到达商店,
I'd check out, I'd come back home, I'd start to unbox it. 然后结账,回家开始打开包装,
And then, there was another little sticker: the one that said, "Charge before use." 此时,又有一张小标签 写着“使用前请先充电”。
What! 什么!
I can't believe it! 我简直不能相信!
I just spent all this time buying this product and now I have to charge before use. 我花了这么多时间去买这个产品, 然后我现在居然还要充电了才能用。
I have to wait what felt like an eternity to use that coveted new toy. 简直就像要等待一辈子才能用这个垂涎已久的新玩具。
eternity:n.来世,来生;不朽;永世; coveted:adj.人人向往的;v.渴望;贪求(covet的过去分词和过去式)
It was crazy. 这太疯狂了。
But you know what? 但你知道吗?
Almost every product back then did that. 追溯到那个时代,几乎每个产品都这样,
When it had batteries in it, you had to charge it before you used it. 只要它有电池在里面, 你就得先充电才能用。
batteries:n.电池;炮组;炮列;[法]殴打;(batteries是battery的复数)
Well, Steve noticed that and he said, "We're not going to let that happen to our product." 然而,史蒂夫留意到了这个事情。 他说, “我们不能让这件事情发生在我们的产品上。”
So what did we do? 于是我们做了什么?
Typically , when you have a product that has a hard drive in it, you run it for about 30 minutes in the factory to make sure that hard drive's going to be working years later for the customer after they pull it out of the box. 传统的方式是一款带有硬盘的产品, 你需要在工厂里将它运行三十分钟, 以保证客户们把它从盒子里拿出来后, 这个硬盘可以正常工作很多年.
Typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地; hard drive:n.硬盘驱动器;
What did we do instead? 相比于此,我们做了什么?
We ran that product for over two hours. 我们让产品运行两个小时。
Why? 为什么?
Well, first off, we could make a higher quality product, be easy to test, and make sure it was great for the customer. 首先,我们可以制造一个质量更好 并容易测试的产品, 而且保证它在客户那里也能运行得很好.
But most importantly, the battery came fully charged right out of the box, ready to use. 但最重要的是 产品在客户打开盒子的时候电池是充满的, 可以马上使用.
battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位;
So that customer, with all that exhilaration, could just start using the product. 于是客户便可以带着满心欢喜 马上开始使用这个产品
It was great, and it worked. 这是个很好的主意,而且很有效,
People liked it. 人们很喜欢它。
Today, almost every product that you get that's battery powered comes out of the box fully charged, even if it doesn't have a hard drive. 在今天,几乎你购买的每种产品 都在打开盒子时就充满了电, 即使它没有硬盘。
But back then, we noticed that detail and we fixed it, and now everyone else does that as well. 但回到那个时候,是我们留意到了这个细节,并修正了它, 现在每个人也都这么做了。
No more, "Charge before use." 再也没有“使用前请先充电”了
So why am I telling you this? 所以为什么我要告诉你们这个事情?
Well, it's seeing the invisible problem, not just the obvious problem, that's important, not just for product design, but for everything we do. 因为它正是看到了看不见的问题 而不只是那些很明显的问题,这很重要。 不只是为了产品设计,还为了我们所做的每件事。
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
You see, there are invisible problems all around us, ones we can solve. 你可以看到有那么多看不见的问题在我们身边, 都是我们可以解决的问题。
But first we need to see them, to feel them. 但首先我们需要做的是发现它们,感受它们。
So, I'm hesitant to give you any tips about neuroscience or psychology . 所以我很犹豫是否要给你们 关于神经科学和心理学的建议。
hesitant:adj.迟疑的;踌躇的;犹豫不定的; tips:n.尖端; v.(使)倾斜,翻覆; (tip的第三人称单数和复数) neuroscience:n.神经系统科学(指神经病学,神经化学等); psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
There's far too many experienced people in the TED community who would know much more about that than I ever will. 因为TED社区里有太多经验丰富的人, 他们都比我懂得多得多。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
But let me leave you with a few tips that I do, that we all can do, to fight habituation. 但让我给你们留下一些我自己如何做的秘诀 也是我们大家都能做的去抵抗习惯化。
My first tip is to look broader. 我的第一个建议是看得更广泛些。
You see, when you're tackling a problem, sometimes, there are a lot of steps that lead up to that problem. 当你在处理一个问题的时候, 有时候会有很多步骤将你引导到那个问题。
tackling:n.装备,用具;扭住;v.处理;抓住;(tackle的现在分词); lead up to:导致;作为…的准备;
And sometimes, a lot of steps after it. 有时候在那个问题之后还有更多的步骤,
If you can take a step back and look broader, maybe you can change some of those boxes before the problem. 如果你能往后退一步,看得更广一些, 也许你可以改变其中一些盒子。 在问题出现之前,
Maybe you can combine them. 也许你可以把它们结合起来,
Maybe you can remove them altogether to make that better. 也许你可以把它们都移开让事情变得更好。
Take thermostats , for instance . 拿恒温器做例子,
thermostats:n.恒温控制器;温度调节装置(thermostat的复数形式); instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
In the 1900s when they first came out, they were really simple to use. 当它们在20世纪第一次出现时使用方法很简单,
You could turn them up or turn them down. 你只需调高或者调低温度。
People understood them. 人们理解恒温器的使用方式。
But in the 1970s, the energy crisis struck, and customers started thinking about how to save energy. 但在20世纪70年代, 面临着能源危机 客户们开始考虑如何节省能源。
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
So what happened? 于是发生了什么?
Thermostat designers decided to add a new step. 恒温器设计师们决定添加一个步骤,
Instead of just turning up and down, you now had to program it. 不再只是简单地调高或调低, 你需要去设计它们的程序。
So you could tell it the temperature you wanted at a certain time. 于是你可以在某个特定的时间让它运行到你想要的温度。
Now that seemed great. 这看起来很厉害。
Every thermostat had started adding that feature. 每个恒温器便都添加了这个功能。
But it turned out that no one saved any energy. 但结果是没有人节省了能源。
Now, why is that? 为什么呢?
Well, people couldn't predict the future. 因为人们无法预知未来
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
They just didn't know how their weeks would change season to season, year to year. 他们不知道他们的每一周将在春夏秋冬 年复一年中如何变化。
So no one was saving energy, and what happened? 于是没有人节省能源.。 然后又发生了什么呢?
Thermostat designers went back to the drawing board and they focused on that programming step. 恒温器设计师们又回到设计板上, 他们依然关注那个程序设计的环节,
back to the drawing board:重新开始;失败后另起炉灶;重来一次;
They made better U.I.s, they made better documentation . 他们把用户面板做得更好, 把使用说明写得更好。
documentation:n.文件,证明文件,史实,文件编制;
But still, years later, people were not saving any energy because they just couldn't predict the future. 但很多年过去了人们依然没有节省能源。 因为他们无法预知未来
So what did we do? 而我们做了什么?
We put a machine-learning algorithm in instead of the programming that would simply watch when you turned it up and down, when you liked a certain temperature when you got up, or when you went away. 我们植入一个有机器学习能力的运算法则来代替程序设计 它会观察你如何调高或调低温度 在你喜欢某个温度的时候在你起床的时候 或是在你不在家的时候
machine-learning:机器学习;
And you know what? 你知道吗
It worked. 它生效了
People are saving energy without any programming. 人们开始节省能源不再需要设计任何程序
So, it doesn't matter what you're doing. 所以,和你正在做什么并没有太大关系
If you take a step back and look at all the boxes, maybe there's a way to remove one or combine them so that you can make that process much simpler. 你只要能往后退一步看看这些所有的盒子们 也许就有移除或者结合它们的方法 于是你可以让过程变得更简单
So that's my first tip: look broader. 这是我的第一个建议:看得更广些
For my second tip, it's to look closer. 我的第二个建议是,看得更近些
One of my greatest teachers was my grandfather. 我的爷爷是我伟大的导师们之一
He taught me all about the world. 他教会了我这个世界的全部
He taught me how things were built and how they were repaired, the tools and techniques necessary to make a successful project. 他教会我东西是如何建起来的、如何修理的 以及可以让你成功地完成一个项目的必要的工具和技术
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
I remember one story he told me about screws , and about how you need to have the right screw for the right job. 我记得他告诉过我一个关于螺丝钉的故事 一个关于怎么用正确的螺丝钉用在正确的地方的故事
screws:n.[机]螺丝; v.用螺钉固定;
There are many different screws: wood screws, metal screws, anchors, concrete screws, the list went on and on . 螺丝钉有很多不同的种类: 木头钉、金属钉、船锚钉、水泥钉 还有很多很多种类
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 on and on:继续不停地;
Our job is to make products that are easy to install for all of our customs themselves without professionals . 我们的工作是让产品变得更容易安装 让所有客户可以不需要专业技能就能安装
install:v.安装;设置;安置;建立(程序); professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数);
So what did we do? 那么我们做了什么?
I remembered that story that my grandfather told me, and so we thought, "How many different screws can we put in the box? 于是我想起了爷爷告诉我的故事 我们想 “我们可以放多少种螺丝钉在这个盒子里?
Was it going to be two, three, four, five? 两种、三种、四种或是五种?
Because there's so many different wall types." 因为有那么多种墙壁
So we thought about it, we optimized it, and we came up with three different screws to put in the box. 所以我们不断地思考并优化它, 最后我们决定放三种螺丝钉在盒子里
optimized:adj.最佳化的;尽量充分利用;
We thought that was going to solve the problem. 我们以为这会解决问题
But it turned out, it didn't. 但事实上并没有
So we shipped the product, and people weren't having a great experience. 我们送出了这个产品 但人们并没有很好的用户体验
So what did we do? 于是我们做了什么?
We went back to the drawing board just instantly after we figured out we didn't get it right. 当我们发现它没有被设计好后 我们马上回到了设计板上
And we designed a special screw, a custom screw, much to the chagrin of our investors. 然后我们设计了一个特别的螺丝钉一个定制的螺丝钉 我们的投资者却非常地生气
chagrin:n.懊恼;委屈;气愤;vt.使…懊恼;
They were like, "Why are you spending so much time on a little screw? 他们觉得,“你们为什么要花这么多时间在研究一个小螺丝钉上?
Get out there and sell more!" 出去多卖一点!”
And we said, "We will sell more if we get this right." 我们说:“我们把这个弄好了,就会卖更多。”
And it turned out, we did. 事实是,我们成功了
With that custom little screw, there was just one screw in the box, that was easy to mount and put on the wall. 就这么一个定制的小螺丝钉 便可以让客户轻松地将产品安装到墙上
mount:n.山;坐骑;山峰;衬纸板;v.登上;爬上;攀登;准备;
So if we focus on those tiny details, the ones we may not see and we look at them as we say, "Are those important or is that the way we've always done it? 所以如果我们能更关注那些小细节那些人们所不关注的地方 我们看着它们说 “这是重要的吗 或者这只能是我们已经做过的方式了吗?
Maybe there's a way to get rid of those." 也许还有别的方法能够避开这个问题。”
So my last piece of advice is to think younger. 我的最后一个建议是:像年轻人一样思考
Every day, I'm confronted with interesting questions from my three young kids. 每天我都要面对我三个年幼孩子的各种有趣的问题
confronted:v.使…无法回避;降临于;处理;面对;对抗;(confront的过去分词和过去式)
They come up with questions like, "Why can't cars fly around traffic?" 他们随意就能够问很多问题,例如 “为什么汽车不能飞起来,绕过堵车?”
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
Or, "Why don't my shoelaces have Velcro instead?" 或者,“为什么我的鞋带没有魔术贴?”
shoelaces:n.鞋带;(shoelace的复数) Velcro:n.维可牢(一种尼龙搭扣的商标名称);
Sometimes, those questions are smart. 有时候他们的问题很聪明
My son came to me the other day and I asked him, "Go run out to the mailbox and check it." 有一天我儿子走过来找我我跟他说 “跑过去查一下邮箱里有没有信件。”
the other day:不久前某一天;几天以前;
He looked at me, puzzled , and said, "Why doesn't the mailbox just check itself and tell us when it has mail?" (Laughter) 他疑惑地看着我,说 “为什么邮箱不能自己检查,然后告诉我们它有邮件了呢?”(笑声)
puzzled:adj.困惑的;茫然的;搞糊涂的;
I was like, "That's a pretty good question." 我就觉得,这是个很好的问题
So, they can ask tons of questions and sometimes we find out we just don't have the right answers. 他们就像这样问成千上百个问题 然后有时候我们发现我们甚至没有正确的答案
We say, "Son, that's just the way the world works." 我们只好说:“儿子,这个世界就是这样的。”
So the more we're exposed to something, the more we get used to it. 于是,一些事情越经常出现在我们面前 我们便越觉得习以为常
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
But kids haven't been around long enough to get used to those things. 但孩子们还没有足够长的时间 去习惯那些东西
And so when they run into problems, they immediately try to solve them, and sometimes they find a better way, and that way really is better. 于是当他们一发现问题 他们立马尝试去解决 有时候他们能发现更好的方式 而且那真的是更好的解决问题的方式
So my advice that we take to heart is to have young people on your team, or people with young minds. 所以我建议你们记在心里:让更多年轻人参加到你们的团队里 或者拥有年轻的心的人们
Because if you have those young minds, they cause everyone in the room to think younger. 因为如果你有那些年轻的心 他们便会让整个房间里的人们都更像年轻人一样思考
Picasso once said, "Every child is an artist. 毕加索曾经说过:“每个孩子都是一个艺术家
Picasso:n.毕加索(西班牙画家);
The problem is when he or she grows up, is how to remain an artist." 问题在于在他长大的过程中如何依然保持为一个艺术家”
We all saw the world more clearly when we saw it for the first time, before a lifetime of habits got in the way . 我们第一次看这个世界的时候我们都会看得更清晰 那之后,无数的习惯会贯穿一生
in the way:妨碍;挡道;
Our challenge is to get back there, to feel that frustration, to see those little details, to look broader, look closer, and to think younger so we can stay beginners. 我们的挑战就是回到最原始的地方 去感受那种疑惑 去关注那些小细节 去看得更广 看得更近 像年轻人一样思考 于是我们仍能保持归零心态
It's not easy. 这并不容易
It requires us pushing back against one of the most basic ways we make sense of the world. 这要求我们把自己往回推 并不是我们所理解的世界的基本进行方式
make sense of:搞清…的意思;
But if we do, we could do some pretty amazing things. 但如果我们能做到 我们就能做出一些真的很惊艳的产品
For me, hopefully, that's better product design. 我希望那对于我,是更好的产品设计
For you, that could mean something else, something powerful. 而对于你,那可能意味着别的、有力量的东西
Our challenge is to wake up each day and say, "How can I experience the world better?" 我们的挑战是,每天起床时对自己说 “我要如何才能更好地体验这个世界?”
And if we do, maybe, just maybe, we can get rid of these dumb little stickers . 如果我们做到了,也许 我们就能避开那些愚蠢的小标签带来的烦恼
dumb:adj.哑的,无说话能力的;不说话的,无声音的; stickers:n.粘贴标签;贴纸;(sticker的复数)
Thank you very much. 谢谢
(Applause) (鼓掌)