返回首页

TinaSeelig_2018S-_承担风险,方能提升运气_

I've spent nearly two decades observing what makes people luckier than others and trying to help people increase their luck. 我花了近二十年的时间, 观察是什么使有些人比他人更幸运, 并试图帮助人们提升运气。
observing:adj.观察的;注意的;观察力敏锐的;v.观察;遵守(observe的现在分词);
You see, I teach entrepreneurship , and we all know that most new ventures fail, and innovators and entrepreneurs need all the luck they can get. 我负责讲授企业运作, 大家都知道,多数 新企业均以失败告终, 创新者和企业家需要 所有可以得到的运气。
entrepreneurship:n.企业家精神; ventures:n.合资企业(venture的复数); v.敢尝试,冒险一试(venture的第三人称单数); innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式);
So what is luck? 那么,运气是什么呢?
Luck is defined as success or failure apparently caused by chance . 运气,被定义为显然由 偶然原因导致的成功或失败。
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; by chance:偶然;意外地;
Apparently. ‘’显然‘’,
That's the operative word. 是其中的关键词。
operative:adj.有效的;运转着的;从事生产劳动的;n.侦探;技工;
It looks like it's chance because we rarely see all the levers that come into play to make people lucky. 看起来运气具有偶然性, 是因为我们极少看到所有的 因素同时作用而产生好运。
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地; levers:n.杠杆;手段(lever的复数);v.用杠杆撬动(lever的第三人称单数);
But I've realized, by watching so long, that luck is rarely a lightning strike , isolated and dramatic . 但通过长期的观察,我发现, 运气很少像闪电那样, 孤立而戏剧性地降临。
lightning strike:n.雷击;闪电式罢工; isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离; dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
It's much more like the wind, blowing constantly . 它更像风, 不断地吹,
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
Sometimes it's calm, and sometimes it blows in gusts , and sometimes it comes from directions that you didn't even imagine. 有时静止不动, 有时,则阵阵袭来, 有时,它会从你 根本想不到的方向吹来。
gusts:n.风味;一阵狂风;趣味;vi.一阵阵地劲吹;
So how do you catch the winds of luck? 那么,如何捕捉幸运之风呢?
It's easy, but it's not obvious . 做起来很简单,却并非 人人知晓其中的奥妙。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
So I'm going to share three things with you that you can do to build a sail to capture the winds of luck. 所以,我要分享三件 你们可以做到的事情, 去创建一面风帆, 以捕捉幸运之风。
capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
The first thing you want to do is to change your relationship with yourself. 你要做的第一件事, 就是改变你与自己的关系,
Be willing to take small risks that get you out of your comfort zone . 去承担小小的风险, 走出自己的舒适区,
comfort zone:n.舒适区;最佳状态;
Now, when we're children, we do this all the time. 这是我们儿时常做的事。
We have to do this if we're going to learn how to walk or talk or ride a bike or even quantum mechanics . Right? 如果要学走路、学说话、 学骑自行车、甚至量子力学, 就必须走出舒适区。
quantum mechanics:n.量子力学;
We need to go from someone one week who doesn't ride a bike to, next week, someone who does. 我们必须经历 这周还不会骑自行车呢, 下周就会骑的过程。
And this requires us to get out of our comfort zone and take some risks. 这需要我们走出舒适区, 并承担一些风险。
The problem is, as we get older, we rarely do this. 问题是,随着年龄的增长, 我们就很少这样做了。
We sort of lock down the sense of who we are and don't stretch anymore. 我们变得喜欢固步自封, 不再拓展自己的能力。
stretch:v.伸展;延伸;伸出;舒展;n.伸展;弹性;舒展;一片;adj.有弹力的;
Now, with my students, 对于我的学生,
I spend a lot of time giving them encouragement to get out of their comfort zone and take some risks. 我花了很多时间鼓励他们 走出舒适区,并承担一些风险。
How do I do this? 我怎么做的呢?
Well, I start out by having them fill out a risk-o-meter. 我先让他们填写风险承受表,
Now, it's basically a fun thing we developed in our class where they map out what risks they're willing to take. 这其实就是我们在课堂 开展的一项有趣的活动, 让他们标出愿意承担的风险。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
And it becomes clear very quickly to them that risk-taking is not binary . 他们很快就会明白, 承担风险可不是非零即一那么简单,
risk-taking:n.冒险;承担风险;adj.冒险的; binary:adj.[数]二进制的;二元的,二态的;
There are intellectual risks and physical risks and financial risks and emotional risks and social risks and ethical risks and political risks. 有智力风险、物理风险、金融风险、 情感风险、社会风险、 道德风险和政治风险。
intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; ethical:adj.伦理的;道德的;凭处方出售的;n.处方药;
And once they do this, they compare their risk profiles with others, and they quickly realize that they're all really different. 一旦确定自己肯承担的风险后, 他们会将风险表与他人的比较, 然后很快就意识到, 大家的风险表竟然截然不同。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; profiles:n.配置文件; v.扼要描述;
I then encourage them to stretch, to take some risks that get them out of their comfort zone. 然后我鼓励他们挑战一下, 承担一些风险, 使自己走出舒适区。
For example, I might ask them to do an intellectual risk and try to tackle a problem they haven't tried before; or a social risk, talking to someone sitting next to them on the train; or an emotional risk, maybe telling someone they really care about how they feel. 例如,我可能会要求他们 冒一下智力风险, 设法解决一个他们以前 从没尝试过的问题; 或社会风险,在火车上 与邻座的旅客交谈; 或者是情绪上的风险, 比如告诉真正在乎的人 自己对他们的感受。
tackle:v.处理; n.用具;
I do this myself all the time. 我自己一直这样做。
About a dozen years ago, I was on an airplane , early, early morning flight on my way to Ecuador . 大约 12 年前,我在 很早的一班 去往厄瓜多尔的飞机上。
airplane:n.飞机; Ecuador:n.厄瓜多尔(位于拉丁美洲);
And normally , I would just put on my headphones and go to sleep, wake up, do some work, but I decided to take a little risk, and I started a conversation with the man sitting next to me. 通常情况下,我会戴上耳机, 先睡一觉,睡醒再工作一会儿, 但我决定冒点儿风险, 我开始和旁边的人聊天。
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; headphones:n.[电讯]耳机;听筒;[电子]头戴式受话器;(headphone的复数)
I introduced myself, and I learned that he was a publisher . 我介绍了自己,随后 得知他是一个出版商。
publisher:n.出版者,出版商;发行人;
Interesting. 还真是巧啊。
We ended up having a fascinating conversation. 由此我们有了一段精彩的谈话,
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
I learned all about the future of the publishing industry. 我了解到了出版业的未来。
So about three quarters of the way through the flight, 因此,当飞行旅程 进行到大约四分之三时,
three quarters:adj.四分之三的;n.四分之三;
I decided to take another risk, and I opened up my laptop and I shared with him a book proposal 我决定再冒一次险, 我打开笔记本电脑,和他分享 我整理的一本书的提案,
laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑; proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
I put together for something I was doing in my class. 这些东西是我上课使用的。
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
And he was very polite, he read it, and he said, "You know what, Tina, this isn't right for us, but thank you so much for sharing." 他很有礼貌,读完以后, 他说, “知道吗,蒂娜, 我们这样做不太合适, 但是,很感谢你的分享”。
It's OK. That risk didn't work out. 这次冒险没有成功,不过没关系。
I shut my laptop. 我关上了笔记本电脑。
At the end of the flight, we exchanged contact information. 在飞行结束时, 我们互留了联系方式。
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
A couple of months later, I reached out to him, and I said, "Mark, would you like to come to my class? 几个月后,我又联系他, 说: 马克,你愿意来我的课堂吗?
I'm doing a project on reinventing the book, the future of publishing." 我在做一个有关‘重塑书本’的项目, 有关出版业的未来。”
reinventing:v.以新形象示人;以新形式出现;(reinvent的现在分词)
And he said, "Great. I'd love to come." 他说: 好极了。我很乐意去。”
So he came to my class. We had a great experience. 所以他来到我的课堂, 我们相处得非常愉快。
A few months later, I wrote to him again. 几个月后,我又写信给他,
This time, I sent him a bunch of video clips from another project my students had done. 这次,我发给他一组视频剪辑, 这些剪辑来自学生们 做的另一个项目。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; clips:n.夹子; v.夹住;
He was so intrigued by one of the projects the students had done, he thought there might be a book in it, and he wanted to meet those students. 学生们做的项目中, 有一个引起了他极大的兴趣, 他认为可以出一本相关的书, 而且,他想面见那些学生。
intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词)
I have to tell you, I was a little bit hurt. 实话说,我有点小小的受伤。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I mean, he wanted to do a book with my students and not with me, but OK, it's all right. (笑声) 不过,没啥大不了。
So I invited him to come down, and he and his colleagues came to Stanford and met with the students, and afterwards, we had lunch together. 因此我邀请他过来, 他和同事们来到斯坦福, 和同学们见了面, 随后我们共进了午餐。
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
And one of his editors said to me, "Hey, have you ever considered writing a book?" 他的一位编辑问我, “嘿,你有没有想过要写一本书啊?”
I said, "Funny you should ask." 我说,“你问得真巧,”
And I pulled out the exact same proposal that I had showed his boss a year earlier. 于是我拿出一本书的提案给他, 就是一年前给他老板看的那本。
Within two weeks, I had a contract , and within two years, the book had sold over a million copies around the world. 两周内,我们就签了合同, 两年内,这本书在全球 销售了超过一百万本。
contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约;
(Applause) (掌声)
Now, you might say, "Oh, you're so lucky." 现在,你可能会说, “噢,你太幸运了。”
But of course I was lucky, but that luck resulted from a series of small risks I took, starting with saying hello. 当然,我是幸运的呀, 但幸运来自 我承担的一系列小风险, 而这一切,都是从打招呼开始的。
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
And anyone can do this, no matter where you are in your life, no matter where you are in the world -- even if you think you're the most unlucky person, you can do this by taking little risks that get you out of your comfort zone. 谁都能做到这一点, 无论你在人生的哪个阶段, 无论你身在何处, 即使你认为自己是最倒霉的人, 也可以通过承担小风险, 把自己带出舒适区,
unlucky:adj.不幸的;倒霉的;不吉利的;
You start building a sail to capture luck. 开始打造那一叶捕捉好运的帆。
The second thing you want to do is to change your relationship with other people. 第二件要做的事情, 就是改善与他人的关系。
You need to understand that everyone who helps you on your journey is playing a huge role in getting you to your goals. 要明白,每个 在旅途中帮助过你的人, 在你实现目标的过程中, 都起了非常重要作用。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
And if you don't show appreciation , not only are you not closing the loop , but you're missing an opportunity. 若你没有心怀感激之情, 这不仅仅是你没与 他们互动交流的问题, 而是让你错过了一次机会。
appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值; loop:n.循环;回路;环路;圈;v.使成环;使绕成圈;成环形移动;
When someone does something for you, they're taking that time that they could be spending on themselves or someone else, and you need to acknowledge what they're doing. 当有人为你做某件事时, 他们把本可以花在 自己或别人身上的时间 花在了你身上, 你要对他们的行为表示感谢。
Now, I run three fellowship programs at Stanford, and they are very competitive to get into, and when I send out the letters to those students who don't get in, 目前,我管理着斯坦福的 三个奖学金项目, 这三个项目的竞争都很激烈, 当我寄信给那些 没有入围的学生时,
fellowship:n.友谊;奖学金;研究员职位; competitive:adj.竞争的;比赛的;求胜心切的;
I always know there are going to be people who are disappointed. 我知道有人会很失望。
Some of the people who are disappointed send me notes, complaining . 有些失望的人给我写信,抱怨。
complaining:adj.抱怨的;v.抱怨;控诉;(complain的现在分词)
Some of them send notes saying what could I do to make myself more successful next time around? 有的人写信问我, 自己该如何做, 才能让自己下次更成功?
And every once in a while , someone sends me a note thanking me for the opportunity. 时不时地, 也有人写信来, 感谢我给他们的机会。
every once in a while:有时;偶然;偶尔;时而;
This happened about seven years ago. 有一件大概七年前发生的事,
A young man named Brian sent me a beautiful note saying, "I know I've been rejected from this program twice, but I want to thank you for the opportunity. 一个叫布莱恩的年轻人给 我寄来一封感人的信,他说: “我已经被该项目拒绝了两次, 但我很想感谢您给的机会,
rejected:adj.被拒的;不合格的;v.拒绝,驳回;(reject的过去式和过去分词)
I learned so much through the process of applying ." 在申请奖学金的过程中, 我学到了很多东西。”
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; applying:v.申请,请求;使用;应用;(apply的现在分词)
I was so taken by the graciousness of his message that I invited him to come and meet me. 他信中的感恩话语 极大地触动了我, 因此,我邀请他来见我。
graciousness:n.亲切,和蔼;好心;
And we spent some time chatting and cooked up an idea for an independent study project together. 我们一起聊了一会儿, 共同想出了一个 自主学习项目 的主意。
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
He was on the football team at Stanford, and he decided to do a project on looking at leadership in that context . 他当时是斯坦福的足球队成员, 他决定做一个这方面 关于领导力的项目。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
We got to know each other incredibly well through that quarter, and he took the project that he started working on in the independent study and turned it, ultimately , into a company called Play for Tomorrow, 那半个学期里, 我们很好地了解了彼此, 他拿到了自己着手准备的 “自主学习项目 , 最终,把它变成了一个 叫做 为明天而战 的公司,
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
where he teaches kids from disadvantaged backgrounds how to, essentially , craft the lives they dream to live. 在那里,他教那些家庭 状况不佳的孩子们, 如何从根本上精心规划 他们梦想的生活。
disadvantaged:adj.贫困的; n.弱势团体; v.使处于不利地位(disadvantage的过去式和过去分词); essentially:adv.本质上;本来; craft:n.工艺;船;手艺;飞行器;v.(尤指用手工)精心制作;
Now, the important thing about this story is that we both ended up catching the winds of luck as a result of his thank-you note. 这个故事的重点是, 我俩都抓住了幸运之风, 一切都源于他的感谢信,
as a result:结果;
But it was the winds that we didn't expect in the first place . 这是我们俩起初根本预料不到的。
in the first place:首先;起初;
Over the course of the last couple of years, 在过去的几年里,
I've come up with some tactics for my own life to help me really foster appreciation. 我为自己的生活制定了一些策略, 来帮助我真正地培养感激之心。
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; tactics:n.战术:策略:手段:兵法(tactic的复数) foster:vt.培养;养育,抚育;抱(希望等);adj.收养的,养育的;
My favorite is that at the end of every single day, 我最喜欢在每天晚上,
I look at my calendar and I review all the people I met with, and I send thank-you notes to every single person. 看着日历,回想所有 我(今天)见过的人, 并给每个人发一封感谢信、
calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中;
It only takes a few minutes, but at the end of every day, 只需要几分钟的时间, 但在每一天的结束时,
I feel incredibly grateful and appreciative , and I promise you it has increased my luck. 我都感到特别感恩和感激, 我向各位担保, 这个过程增加了我的好运。
appreciative:adj.感激的;赏识的;有欣赏力的;承认有价值的;
So first, you need to take some risks and get out of your comfort zone. 因此,首先你需要冒一下险, 走出你的舒适区。
Second, you need to show appreciation. 其次,你需要心怀感激。
And third, you want to change your relationship with ideas. 第三,你需要改变与想法的关系。
Most people look at new ideas that come there way and they judge them. 大多数的人会面对新想法, 并对其进行评判,
'"That's a great idea" or "That's a terrible idea." 这是一个很好的主意 或 这个想法很糟糕 。
But it's actually much more nuanced . 但这个过程实际上很微妙。
nuanced:adj.微妙的; v.精确细腻地表演;
Ideas are neither good or bad. 主意并没有好坏之分。
And in fact, the seeds of terrible ideas are often something truly remarkable . 事实上,糟糕的想法产生的结果 往往才是真正了不起的东西。
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
One of my favorite exercises in my classes on creativity is to help students foster an attitude of looking at terrible ideas through the lens of possibilities. 在课堂上,我最喜欢的 关于创新的练习之一, 是帮助学生培养一种 以可能性的视角 来看待糟糕想法的态度。
attitude:n.态度;看法;意见;姿势; lens:n.透镜,镜头;晶状体;隐形眼镜;汽车的灯玻璃;v.给…摄影;
So I give them a challenge: to create an idea for a brand new restaurant. 所以,我给了他们一个挑战: 为一家全新的餐厅想点子。
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
They have to come up with the best ideas for a new restaurant and the worst ideas for a new restaurant. 他们必须为新餐馆想出金点子 和最坏的点子。
So the best ideas are things like a restaurant on a mountaintop with a beautiful sunset , or a restaurant on a boat with a gorgeous view. 金点子,如欣赏美丽日落的 山顶餐厅, 或能观赏靓丽景色的船上餐厅;
mountaintop:n.山顶; sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止; gorgeous:adj.华丽的,灿烂的;极好的;
And the terrible ideas are things like a restaurant in a garbage dump , or a restaurant with terrible service that's really dirty, or a restaurant that serves cockroach sushi. 糟糕的点子,如建在 垃圾堆里的餐馆, 或一家服务差、环境脏的餐馆, 或是一家供应蟑螂寿司的餐馆。
garbage:n.垃圾;废物; dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆; cockroach:n.蟑螂
(Laughter) (笑声)
So they hand all the ideas to me, 他们把所有的点子交给我,
I read the great ideas out loud, and then I rip them up and throw them away. 我大声读出那些金点子, 然后把它们撕毁、扔掉;
rip:v.撕破;突然拉开;割开;n.撕开的大口子;巨澜;清管器;废马;
I then take the horrible ideas and redistribute them. 接下来,我把糟糕的 点子重新分配给他们。
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, redistribute:vt.重新分配;再区分;
Each team now has an idea that another team thought was horrible, and their challenge is to turn it into something brilliant. 现在,每个队都有一个 另一队认为很糟糕的点子, 他们的挑战就是 让这些点子化腐朽为神奇。
Here's what happens. 接下来,奇妙的事情发生了:
Within about 10 seconds, someone says, "This is a fabulous idea." 在大约10秒内,有人说, 这真是个绝妙的主意。
fabulous:adj.难以置信的;传说的,寓言中的;极好的;
And they have about three minutes before they pitch the idea to the class. 他们约有三分钟的准备时间, 然后向全班兜售他们的点子。
pitch:v.抛:用力扔:针对:触地:n.场地:程度:力度:推销的话:纵摇:
So the restaurant in the garbage dump? What does that turn into? 那个垃圾堆里的餐馆会变成什么呢?
Well, they collect all the extra food from Michelin star restaurants that was going to get thrown out, and they have another restaurant at a much lower price, with all the leftovers . 他们从米其林星级餐厅收集那些 将被白白扔掉的多余食物, 他们还有另一家价格更低的餐馆, 供应的都是剩饭。
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: Michelin:主要经营轮胎橡胶;米其林(财富500强公司之一,总部所在地法国); leftovers:n.吃剩的食物;遗留物;(leftover的复数)
Pretty cool? 棒不棒?
Or the restaurant that's dirty with terrible service? 那服务不好、环境肮脏的餐厅呢?
Well, that turns into a restaurant that's a training ground for future restauranteurs to figure out how to avoid all the pitfalls . 它变成了一家餐厅训练场, 供未来餐厅老板找出 如何避免所有的隐患。
pitfalls:n.危险;困难;(尤指)陷阱,隐患;(pitfall的复数)
And the restaurant with cockroach sushi? 卖蟑螂寿司的餐厅呢?
It turns into a sushi bar with all sorts of really interesting and exotic ingredients . 它变成了一个寿司酒吧, 里面融入了各种真正 有趣而富有异国情调的元素。
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的; ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数)
If you look around at the companies, the ventures that are really innovative around you, the ones that we now take for granted that have changed our life, well, you know what? 如果你环顾四周的公司, 你周围那些真正创新的企业, 那些我们坦然接受的 改变我们生活的公司和企业, 噢,你知道吗?
innovative:adj.革新的,创新的; take for granted:认为…理所当然;
They all started out as crazy ideas. 他们都是从疯狂的想法开始的。
They started ideas that when they pitched to other people, most people said, "That's crazy, it will never work." 在向其他人推销时, 他们就开始实施想法了, 多数人说 这太离谱了, 根本行不通的。”
pitched:adj.倾斜的;v.用力扔;投;抛;投球;当投手;触地;(pitch的过去分词和过去式)
So, yes, sometimes people were born into terrible circumstances , and sometimes, luck is a lightning bolt that hits us with something wonderful or something terrible. 是的,有时人们 出生在糟糕的环境中, 有时,运气像一道闪电, 用奇妙或可怕的东西击中我们。
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数) bolt:n.螺栓; v.狼吞虎咽; v.突然;
But the winds of luck are always there, and if you're willing to take some risks, if you're willing to really go out and show appreciation and willing to really look at ideas, even if they're crazy, through the lens of possibilities, you can build a bigger and bigger sail to catch the winds of luck. 但幸运之风总是在那里, 如果你愿意承担一些风险, 如果你愿意真正走出去, 并心怀感激之情, 愿意真正去正视各种想法, 即使这些想法很疯狂, 通过可能性的视角, 你仍然可以打造一面更大的帆, 去捕捉幸运之风。
Thank you. 谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)