|
|
TimHarford_2011G-_试验,排除错误和万能神力_
|
It's the Second World War, a German prison camp , and this man, |
这是二战期间, 一个德国集中营, 这个人, |
prison camp:n.集中营;战俘营;
|
Archie Cochrane, is a prisoner of war and a doctor, and he has a problem. |
阿奇·卡克伦, 是战俘也是一名医生, 他遇到了一个问题, |
Archie:n.高射炮(等于archibald); prisoner of war:n.战俘;俘虏;
|
The problem is that the men under his care are suffering from an excruciating and debilitating condition that Archie doesn't really understand. |
这个问题是他看护的人们 正在承受 病痛和衰弱的煎熬。 阿奇不明白是怎么回事。 |
excruciating:adj.折磨人的;极痛苦的;极坏的;v.折磨;使受酷刑;(excruciate的现在分词) debilitating:adj.使衰弱的;v.使虚弱(debilitate的ing形式);
|
The symptoms are this horrible swelling up of fluids under the skin. |
这种症状是 皮肤下面有可怕水肿。 |
symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数) horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, swelling:n.膨胀;肿胀;肿胀处;v.膨胀;肿胀;(使)鼓出;(使)增加;(swell的现在分词) fluids:n.液体;流体;液;(fluid的复数)
|
But he doesn't know whether it's an infection , whether it's to do with malnutrition . |
他不知道这是一种感染,还是营养不良造成的。 |
infection:n.感染;传染;(身体某部位的)感染;传染病; malnutrition:n.营养失调,营养不良;
|
He doesn't know how to cure it. |
他不知道怎样提供治疗。 |
And he's operating in a hostile environment. |
他是在一个充满敌意的环境里工作。 |
hostile:adj.敌意的; n.敌对分子;
|
And people do terrible things in wars. |
而人们常常在战争期间做可怕的事情。 |
The German camp guards, they've got bored . |
德国集中营的守卫无聊的时候。 |
bored:adj.无聊的;厌倦的;烦闷的;v.使厌烦;钻,凿,挖;(bore的过去分词和过去式)
|
They've taken to just firing into the prison camp at random for fun. |
他们会对着集中营随意扫射 来寻开心。 |
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
|
On one particular occasion, one of the guards threw a grenade into the prisoners lavatory while it was full of prisoners. |
特别是有一次, 一个守卫朝犯人的厕所里扔了枚手榴弹, 里面满是犯人。 |
grenade:n.手榴弹;灭火弹;v.扔手榴弹;用催泪弹攻击; lavatory:n.厕所,盥洗室;
|
He said he heard suspicious laughter. |
他说他听到了可疑的笑声。 |
suspicious:adj.可疑的;怀疑的;多疑的;
|
And Archie Cochrane, as the camp doctor, was one of the first men in to clear up the mess . |
而阿奇·卡克伦,作为集中营的医生, 是第一个进去 处理惨状的人。 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
|
And one more thing: |
另外, |
Archie was suffering from this illness himself. |
阿奇自己也受着这个疾病的困扰, |
So the situation seemed pretty desperate . |
所以情况是非常危急。 |
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
|
But Archie Cochrane was a resourceful person. |
但是阿奇·卡克伦 是一个足智多谋的人。 |
resourceful:adj.资源丰富的;足智多谋的;机智的;
|
He'd already smuggled vitamin C into the camp, and now he managed to get hold of supplies of marmite on the black market . |
他已经将维生素C带到了集中营, 现在他又想办法 从黑市上弄到了 一些马麦。 |
smuggled:v.走私;私运;偷运(smuggle的过去分词和过去式) vitamin:n.维生素;维他命; get hold of:把握;抓住;得到; marmite:n.酸制酵母;砂锅;大型有盖汤锅; black market:在黑市卖;做黑市交易;
|
Now some of you will be wondering what marmite is. |
你们中的一些人也许会问马麦是什么, |
Marmite is a breakfast spread beloved of the British. |
马麦英国人热爱的早餐面包酱, |
beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友;
|
It looks like crude oil. |
它看上去象天然油。 |
crude:adj.粗略的;简略的;大概的;粗糙的;n.原油;石油;
|
It tastes ... |
味道 |
zesty . |
很浓 |
zesty:adj.兴致很高的;vt.给…增兴趣;
|
And importantly, it's a rich source of vitamin B12. |
更重要的是, 它含有丰富的 维他命B12。 |
So Archie splits the men under his care as best he can into two equal groups. |
所以阿奇就把他的病人平分 成两组人。 |
He gives half of them vitamin C. |
他给其中的一半维他命C。 |
He gives half of them vitamin B12. |
他给另一半维他命B12。 |
He very carefully and meticulously notes his results in an exercise book . |
他非常小心谨慎把他的结果 记录在一个练习簿上。 |
meticulously:adv.细致地;一丝不苟地;拘泥地; exercise book:n.练习本;练习册;作业本;
|
And after just a few days, it becomes clear that whatever is causing this illness, marmite is the cure. |
几天以后 结果显然表明 不管是病因是什么 马麦能帮助治愈这个病。 |
So Cochrane then goes to the Germans who are running the prison camp. |
所以卡克伦跑去跟管理集中营的德国人说。 |
Now you've got to imagine at the moment -- forget this photo, imagine this guy with this long ginger beard and this shock of red hair. |
你想象一下那一刻, 别看这张照片, 你想象一下这个家伙 一下巴淡黄色大胡子,一头刺眼的红发 |
ginger:n.生姜;姜;姜黄色;adj.姜黄色的;v.使更有生气;鼓舞;刺激
|
He hasn't been able to shave -- a sort of Billy Connolly figure. |
他好久没有修面,有点象比利·康诺利那个样子 |
shave:v.刮胡子;(尤指)刮脸;(少量地)削减;n.修面;刮脸;剃须;
|
Cochrane, he starts ranting at these Germans in this Scottish accent -- in fluent German, by the way , but in a Scottish accent -- and explains to them how German culture was the culture that gave Schiller and Goethe to the world. |
卡克伦开始数落那些德国人, 带着苏格兰口音, 其实他讲着一口流利的德语,只是带点苏格兰口音 他对他们说他无法理解 能够为世界带来席勒和歌德的 |
ranting:n.吼闹;v.咆哮;激昂地说(rant的ing形式); accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话; fluent:adj.流畅的,流利的;液态的;畅流的; by the way:顺便说一下; Schiller:n.青铜色光泽;
|
And he can't understand how this barbarism can be tolerated . |
德国文化怎么可以容忍 如此的野蛮。 |
barbarism:n.野蛮;原始;未开化;暴虐; tolerated:v.容许;忍受;包容;有耐受性;(tolerate的过去式和过去分词)
|
And he vents his frustrations . |
他发了一通牢骚 |
vents:n.[矿业]通风孔(vent的复数);排空(气)阀;通风管;管乐类; frustrations:n.沮丧;受阻;阻止;挫败;(frustration的复数)
|
And then he goes back to his quarters, breaks down and weeps because he's convinced that the situation is hopeless. |
然后就回到了他的住处, 倒头哭泣 因为他认为这个状况无可救药。 |
weeps:vi.哭泣; vt.哭泣; n.哭泣; convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
|
But a young German doctor picks up Archie Cochrane's exercise book and says to his colleagues , "This evidence is incontrovertible . |
但是另一个年轻的德国医生 拿起了阿奇·卡克伦的练习簿 对他的同僚说 这个证据是不用质疑的 |
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; incontrovertible:adj.无可争议的;无疑的;明白的;
|
If we don't supply vitamins to the prisoners, it's a war crime ." |
“如果我们不给犯人提供维生素 这是战争犯罪”。 |
vitamins:n.[生化]维生素;[生化]维他命; war crime:n.战争罪行(违反国际战争公约的战时行为);
|
And the next morning, supplies of vitamin B12 are delivered to the camp, and the prisoners begin to recover. |
第二天早上, 含维他命B12的物资被送到了集中营, 犯人开始恢复。 |
Now I'm not telling you this story because I think Archie Cochrane is a dude , although Archie Cochrane is a dude. |
我现在跟你们讲这个故事, 不是因为我认为阿奇·卡克伦是个人物, 虽然阿奇·卡克伦本来就是个人物。 |
dude:n.男人,小伙子;(非正式)花花公子;
|
I'm not even telling you the story because I think we should be running more carefully controlled randomized trials in all aspects of public policy , although I think that would also be completely awesome . |
我跟你说这个故事也不是 因为我认为我们应该更小心地 随机抽样试验。 在公共政策的各个方面 虽然我觉得这样做完全会很好。 |
randomized:adj.[数]随机化的,随机的;v.使随机化;做任意排列(randomize的过去分词); aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数); policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
|
I'm telling you this story because Archie Cochrane, all his life, fought against a terrible affliction . |
我告诉你这个故事 是因为阿奇·卡克伦的一生, 都在与一种可怕的痛苦做斗争。 |
affliction:n.苦难;苦恼;折磨;
|
And he realized it was debilitating to individuals and it was corrosive to societies. |
而且他认识到这是一种削弱个人 和腐蚀社会的东西。 |
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); corrosive:adj.腐蚀的;侵蚀性的;n.腐蚀物;
|
And he had a name for it. |
他为它取了个名字, |
He called it the God complex . |
他把它称为:万能神力(自以为有能力解决复杂问题的本事) |
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
|
Now I can describe the symptoms of the God complex very, very easily. |
现在我可以来描述万能神力的症状 |
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
|
So the symptoms of the complex are, no matter how complicated the problem, you have an absolutely overwhelming belief that you are infallibly right in your solution . |
它的症状是: 无论问题多么复杂 你还是绝对彻底相信 你的解决方案是准确无误的 |
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) infallibly:adv.绝无错误的; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
Now Archie was a doctor. |
阿奇是个医生 |
So he hung around with doctors a lot. |
他一直和医生们在一起 |
And doctors suffer from the God complex a lot. |
医生就常常患有这种毛病 |
Now I'm an economist, I'm not a doctor, but I see the God complex around me all the time in my fellow economists. |
我是个经济学家, 我不是医生 我在我周围也一直看到这种“万能神力”的症状 出现在我的经济学家伙伴中 |
I see it in our business leaders. |
我看见它存在于我们的商业领袖身上 |
I see it in the politicians we vote for -- people who, in the face of an incredibly complicated world, are nevertheless absolutely convinced that they understand the way that the world works. |
我们看见它存在于我们推选的政客身上。 这些人面对这及其复杂的世界 仍然绝对坚信 他们知道这个世界是怎样运作的 |
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) in the face of:面对; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; nevertheless:adv.然而,不过;虽然如此;conj.然而,不过;
|
And you know, with the future billions that we've been hearing about, the world is simply far too complex to understand in that way. |
而你们知道,我们在这里听到的未来的数十亿人的种种 用那种方法来理解这个复杂 的世界显然是太简单化了 |
Well let me give you an example. |
让我来给你们一个例子 |
Imagine for a moment that, instead of Tim Harford in front of you, there was Hans Rosling presenting his graphs. |
你们想象一下 现在如果站在你们面前的不是我 而是汉斯·罗斯林在展示他的图表 |
You know Hans: the Mick Jagger of TED. |
你们知道汉斯: TED的米克·贾格尔 |
Mick:n.米克(男子名);(贬)爱尔兰人; Jagger:n.有齿的凿子;刻锯齿者;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And he'd be showing you these amazing statistics , these amazing animations . |
他给你们展示了这些神奇的数据 神奇的动画 |
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数) animations:n.[电影]动画片(animation的复数);
|
And they are brilliant; it's wonderful work. |
它们很出色,很棒的研究结果 |
But a typical Hans Rosling graph: think for a moment, not what it shows, but think instead about what it leaves out. |
但是汉斯的图表: 想一下,不是那些已经展示的 而是想一下那些没有被展示的。 |
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
|
So it'll show you GDP per capita , population, longevity , that's about it. |
是,里面包括了人均国内生产总值 人口,寿命 就这些 |
per capita:adj.每人的;人均的; longevity:n.长寿,长命;寿命;
|
So three pieces of data for each country -- three pieces of data. |
每个国家三个数据 三个数据 |
Three pieces of data is nothing. |
三个数据什么都不是 |
I mean, have a look at this graph. |
我是说,请看一下这张图 |
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
|
This is produced by the physicist Cesar Hidalgo . |
这张图是物理学家塞萨尔·伊达尔戈制作的 |
physicist:n.物理学家;物理学研究者; Cesar:n.恺撒,古罗马帝王; Hidalgo:n.西班牙的绅士(低于最高贵族,大公);西班牙的下级贵族;
|
He's at MIT. |
他在麻省理工工作 |
Now you won't be able to understand a word of it, but this is what it looks like. |
你一个字也不懂 但是它看上去是这个样子的 |
Cesar has trolled the database of over 5,000 different products, and he's used techniques of network analysis to interrogate this database and to graph relationships between the different products. |
塞萨尔用数据库搜索 5000个不同的产品, 他用网络分析的技术 提取分析数据 并用图表来表示不同产品间的关系 |
trolled:vt.轮唱,使转动; vi.参加轮唱; n.轮唱; techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数) analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; interrogate:v.讯问;审问;盘问;查询;
|
And it's wonderful, wonderful work. |
那是非常非常好的工作 |
You show all these interconnections , all these interrelations . |
展示了所有这些互相的关系和链接 |
interconnections:n.相互连接;彼此连系; interrelations:n.相互关系;
|
And I think it'll be profoundly useful in understanding how it is that economies grow. |
我想这些对理解经济怎样增长 是极其有用的 |
profoundly:adv.深刻地;深深地;极度地; economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
|
Brilliant work. |
是杰作 |
Cesar and I tried to write a piece for the New York Times magazine explaining how this works. |
塞萨尔和我试着想要给纽约时代杂志 写一篇稿子描述这个工作 |
And what we learned is Cesar's work is far too good to explain in the New York Times magazine. |
我们发现 塞萨尔的研究成果远不是一篇 纽约时代杂志的文章可以描述得清楚的 |
5,000 products -- that's still nothing. |
5000个产品 这还没什么 |
5,000 products -- imagine counting every product category in Cesar Hidalgo's data. |
5000个产品 想象我们来数塞萨尔·伊达尔戈数据 中的每个产品的目录 |
category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴;
|
Imagine you had one second per product category. |
想象你每一秒钟 听到一个产品种类的名字 |
In about the length of this session , you would have counted all 5,000. |
大约用这段会议的时间 你可以数完5000个产品 |
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
|
Now imagine doing the same thing for every different type of product on sale in Walmart . |
现在你再想象去数各种 不同的在沃尔玛销售的产品 |
Walmart:n.沃尔玛(世界连锁零售企业);
|
There are 100,000 there. It would take you all day. |
那有10万种, 那大概需要一天才能数完 |
Now imagine trying to count every different specific product and service on sale in a major economy such as Tokyo, London or New York. |
现在你想象去数 在主要经济体中销售的 每种不同的特殊产品和服务 比如,东京, 伦敦,或者纽约 |
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
|
It's even more difficult in Edinburgh because you have to count all the whisky and the tartan . |
在爱丁堡就更难了 因为你得数所有的威士忌和格子呢绒 |
Edinburgh:n.爱丁堡(英国城市名); whisky:n.威士忌酒;adj.威士忌酒的; tartan:n.格子呢(苏格兰);adj.格子呢的;
|
If you wanted to count every product and service on offer in New York -- there are 10 billion of them -- it would take you 317 years. |
如果你要数在纽约提供的 产品和服务 那就有100亿种 你得数317年 |
This is how complex the economy we've created is. |
这就是我们创造的复杂的经济体 |
And I'm just counting toasters here. |
而我这只是在这里数烤面包机而已 |
toasters:n.烤箱;烤面包器;
|
I'm not trying to solve the Middle East problem. |
我没想去解决中东问题 |
Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部);
|
The complexity here is unbelievable . |
所以问题的复杂性是不可思议的 |
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
|
And just a piece of context -- the societies in which our brains evolved had about 300 products and services. |
我再提供一个背景数据 我们大脑演变的社会 具有300多种产品和服务 |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
|
You could count them in five minutes. |
你可以在5分钟里数完他们 |
So this is the complexity of the world that surrounds us. |
所以这就是我们所处的环境的复杂性 |
This perhaps is why we find the God complex so tempting . |
这也许也是为什么 我们发现“万能神力”很有吸引力 |
tempting:adj.吸引人的;诱惑人的;v.引诱;(tempt的现在分词);
|
We tend to retreat and say, "We can draw a picture, we can post some graphs, we get it, we understand how this works." |
我们喜欢退一步说:“我们可以来画一个图, 我们可以贴一些图表, 我们知道这是怎么运作的。” |
retreat:v.撤退;退却;后退;退缩;n.撤退;退却;退缩;退避;
|
And we don't. |
但是我们不知道 |
We never do. |
我们从来都不知道。 |
Now I'm not trying to deliver a nihilistic message here. |
我不是要在这里传递一个虚无主义的信息 |
nihilistic:adj.虚无主义的;无政府主义的;
|
I'm not trying to say we can't solve complicated problems in a complicated world. |
我不是想说我们不能在 复杂的世界里解决复杂的问题 |
We clearly can. |
我们显然是可以的 |
But the way we solve them is with humility -- to abandon the God complex and to actually use a problem-solving technique that works. |
但是我们需要用一种 谦逊的态度来解决问题 要抛弃“万能神力”的态度 而是用一个实际可行的解决问题的手法。 |
humility:n.谦卑,谦逊; abandon:n.狂热;放任;v.遗弃;放弃; problem-solving:adj.问题解决的;n.解决问题;找出问题的答案;
|
And we have a problem-solving technique that works. |
我们有一个实际可行的解决问题的手法 |
Now you show me a successful complex system, and I will show you a system that has evolved through trial and error. |
你给我举一个 成功的复杂系统 我就能显示给你看 这个系统是如何在试验和排除错误中不断演进的。 |
Here's an example. |
这里有一个例子 |
This baby was produced through trial and error. |
这个孩子是通过试验和排除错误而产生的 |
I realize that's an ambiguous statement . |
我知道这是一个模糊的说法 |
ambiguous:adj.模糊不清的;引起歧义的; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
|
Maybe I should clarify it. |
也许我应该澄清 |
clarify:v.澄清;阐明;得到澄清;得到净化;
|
This baby is a human body: it evolved. |
这个孩子是人类的身体:它进化了。 |
What is evolution ? |
什么是进化? |
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进;
|
Over millions of years, variation and selection , variation and selection -- trial and error, trial and error. |
经历了几百万年的变种和选择 变种和选择 试验和排除错误 试验和排除错误 |
variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; selection:n.选择;选拔;挑选;被挑选的人(或物);
|
And it's not just biological systems that produce miracles through trial and error. |
这不只是生物系统 在试验和排除错误中缔造神奇 |
biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品; miracles:n.奇迹;奇人;不平凡的事;(miracle的复数)
|
You could use it in an industrial context. |
你可以把它用于产业环境中 |
industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票;
|
So let's say you wanted to make detergent . |
比如你要生产清洁剂 |
detergent:n.清洁剂;去垢剂;
|
Let's say you're Unilever and you want to make detergent in a factory near Liverpool . |
你是联合利华 你要在利物浦旁边的一家工厂生产清洁剂 |
Liverpool:n.利物浦;
|
How do you do it? |
你怎么做呢? |
Well you have this great big tank full of liquid detergent. |
你有这么一大池子的液体清洁剂 |
You pump it at a high pressure through a nozzle . |
你用高压将它压过一个喷嘴 |
pump:n.抽水机;泵;打气筒;v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动; nozzle:n.喷嘴;管口;鼻;
|
You create a spray of detergent. |
你制造了清洁剂喷雾 |
spray:n.喷雾; v.喷;
|
Then the spray dries. It turns into powder . |
喷雾干燥后就成了粉末 |
powder:n.粉末;细面;扑面粉;美容粉;v.傅粉;抹粉;
|
It falls to the floor. |
掉在地板上, |
You scoop it up. you put it in cardboard boxes. |
你将它铲起,放入一个纸板盒子里。 |
scoop:n.勺;铲子;一勺(的量);独家新闻;v.用勺儿舀;用铲儿铲;捡起;抢先报道; cardboard:n.[纸]硬纸板;纸板箱;卡纸板;adj.不真实的;硬纸板制的;
|
You sell it at a supermarket. |
你到超市去卖, |
You make lots of money. |
你可以赚好多钱。 |
How do you design that nozzle? |
你怎么设计喷嘴 |
It turns out to be very important. |
结果这个很重要 |
Now if you ascribe to the God complex, what you do is you find yourself a little God. |
如果你倾向于用万能神力来解决这个问题 你会觉得自己是个小上帝 |
ascribe:vt.归因于;归咎于;
|
You find yourself a mathematician; you find yourself a physicist -- somebody who understands the dynamics of this fluid. |
你会发现自己是个数学家,物理学家 是一个懂得液体动态的专家 |
dynamics:n.动力学,力学;
|
And he will, or she will, calculate the optimal design of the nozzle. |
他或者她会 计算管口的最佳设计方案 |
optimal:adj.最佳的;最理想的;
|
Now Unilever did this and it didn't work -- too complicated. |
联合利华这么做了,但是失败了 太复杂了 |
Even this problem, too complicated. |
即使是这样的问题,也太复杂了 |
But the geneticist Professor Steve Jones describes how Unilever actually did solve this problem -- trial and error, variation and selection. |
但是遗传学家史蒂文琼斯教授 讲述了联合利华其实是怎样解决这个问题的 试验和失败 改变和选择 |
geneticist:n.遗传学者; describes:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;(describe的第三人称单数)
|
You take a nozzle and you create 10 random variations on the nozzle. |
你拿一个管口 你随机地做出10个不同的管口 |
variations:n.变奏曲,变更;[生物]变种(variation的复数形式);
|
You try out all 10, you keep the one that works best. |
你测试这10个管口,你把最好的那个保留下来 |
You create 10 variations on that one. |
你再拿这个做基础再做10个不同的管口 |
You try out all 10. You keep the one that works best. |
你测试这10个,你把最好的保留下来 |
You try out 10 variations on that one. |
你再这个基础上测试10个 |
You see how this works, right. |
你知道这是怎么做出来的了吧? |
And after 45 generations, you have this incredible nozzle. |
经过45轮测试后 你们就得到了这个很好的喷嘴管口 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
It looks a bit like a chess piece -- functions absolutely brilliantly . |
这个看上去有点象国际象棋棋子 工作起来绝对高效 |
brilliantly:adv.灿烂地;辉煌地;光亮地;
|
We have no idea why it works, no idea at all. |
我们不知道 为什么它那么高效 根本不知道 |
And the moment you step back from the God complex -- let's just try to have a bunch of stuff; let's have a systematic way of determining what's working and what's not -- you can solve your problem. |
当你不再认为自己有万能神力 而是开始尝试一些东西 用一个系统的办法来决定什么办法行什么办法不行 你就能解决你的问题 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; systematic:adj.系统的;体系的;有系统的;[图情]分类的;一贯的,惯常的; determining:v.查明;测定;准确算出;决定;支配;裁决;(determine的现在分词)
|
Now this process of trial and error is actually far more common in successful institutions than we care to recognize . |
这个过程就是试验和排除错误的过程 事实上这是成功机构的一个很大的共性 只是我们认识得很不够 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
|
And we've heard a lot about how economies function. |
我们听过很多经济是如何运作的言论 |
The U.S. economy is still the world's greatest economy. |
美国的经济仍然是世界上最好的经济体 |
How did it become the world's greatest economy? |
它怎么变成世界上最好的经济体的呢? |
I could give you all kinds of facts and figures about the U.S. economy, but I think the most salient one is this: 10 percent of American businesses disappear every year. |
我可以给你很多事实和数字 关于美国经济的 但是我想最突出的是这点: 每年10%的美国企业 会消失 |
salient:adj.显著的;突出的;跳跃的;n.凸角;突出部分; disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
That is a huge failure rate. |
这是很高的失败率 |
It's far higher than the failure rate of, say, Americans. |
这个失败率比美国人的失败率要高 |
10 percent of Americans don't disappear every year. |
美国人并没有以10%的比率每年消失 |
Which leads us to conclude |
所以我们可以总结说 |
conclude:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)
|
American businesses fail faster than Americans, and therefore American businesses are evolving faster than Americans. |
美国企业比美国人消失得更快 因此美国企业比美国人进化得要快 |
evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词)
|
And eventually , they'll have evolved to such a high peak of perfection that they will make us all their pets -- |
而最终, 他们进化到了完美的顶端 他们会把我们都变成他们的宠物 |
eventually:adv.最后,终于; peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的; perfection:n.完善;完美;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
if, of course, they haven't already done so. |
如果,他们还没有这么做的话 |
I sometimes wonder. |
我有时会想 |
But it's this process of trial and error that explains this great divergence , this incredible performance of Western economies. |
但是试验和排除错误的过程 解释了这巨大的差异 西方经济的出色的表现。 |
divergence:n.分歧; performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
|
It didn't come because you put some incredibly smart person in charge. |
它的发生不是因为你让一些特别聪明的人掌管了一切 |
It's come through trial and error. |
它是从试试验和排除错误中得来的 |
Now I've been sort of banging on about this for the last couple of months, and people sometimes say to me, "Well Tim, it's kind of obvious . |
在过去的几个月里, 我反复 在讨论这个问题 有人有时跟我说 “提姆,这不是很显然么 |
banging:v.猛敲;砸;(把…)砰的关上;猛摔;砰地一扔;(bang的现在分词) obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
Obviously trial and error is very important. |
很显然试验和排除错误很重要 |
Obviously experimentation is very important. |
很显然尝试很重要 |
experimentation:n.实验;试验;
|
Now why are you just running around saying this obvious thing?" |
你为什么到处讲这个显然的事情呢?” |
So I say, okay, fine. |
所以我说,好啊 |
You think it's obvious? |
你认为这个很显然是吗? |
I will admit it's obvious when schools start teaching children that there are some problems that don't have a correct answer. |
我也会承认这个很显然 当学校 开始告诉孩子们 有时问题不总是有正确答案的时候 |
Stop giving them lists of questions every single one of which has an answer. |
不再给他们一系列问题 每个问题都有一个答案 |
And there's an authority figure in the corner behind the teacher's desk who knows all the answers. |
而老师的桌子背后的角落里总是站着 一个知道所有答案的权威 |
authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
|
And if you can't find the answers, you must be lazy or stupid. |
如果你找不到答案 你不是懒惰就是愚蠢 |
When schools stop doing that all the time, |
当学习停止这么做时 |
I will admit that, yes, it's obvious that trial and error is a good thing. |
我愿意承认 试验和排除错误显然是好事 |
When a politician stands up campaigning for elected office and says, "I want to fix our health system. |
当政客们站出来 竞选公职时 他们说:“我想治理我们的健康系统 |
I want to fix our education system. |
我想治理我们的教育体系 |
I have no idea how to do it. |
我还不知道怎么做 |
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
|
I have half a dozen ideas. |
但是我又很多想法 |
We're going to test them out. They'll probably all fail. |
我们会测试这些想法, 我们可能失败 |
Then we'll test some other ideas out. |
然后我们会再测试其他想法 |
We'll find some that work. We'll build on those. |
我们会发现有些有效的办法,然后在那个基础上继续建设 |
We'll get rid of the ones that don't." |
我们会抛弃那些无效的做法。“ |
When a politician campaigns on that platform , and more importantly, when voters like you and me are willing to vote for that kind of politician, then I will admit that it is obvious that trial and error works, and that -- thank you. |
当政治家在那样的平台上竞选 更重要的是,象你我这样的选举人 愿意投票给这样的政治家 那我就承认 测试和排除错误显然是有效的,而那时, 我会对你们说:谢谢 |
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Until then, until then |
直到那个时候, 直到那个时候 |
I'm going to keep banging on about trial and error and why we should abandon the God complex. |
我会继续讨论测试和排除错误这个话题 和为什么我们需要抛弃“万能神力”态度 |
Because it's so hard to admit our own fallibility . |
因为我们很难 我们自己是很容易犯错的 |
fallibility:n.易误;不可靠;出错性;
|
It's so uncomfortable. |
这令人感到很不舒服 |
And Archie Cochrane understood this as well as anybody. |
阿奇·卡克伦和其他人一样理解这一点 |
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
|
There's this one trial he ran many years after World War II. |
这是他做的一个试验 那时在二战很多年后 |
He wanted to test out the question of, where is it that patients should recover from heart attacks? |
他想要测试出 病人心脏病发作后 应该在哪里 康复 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
|
Should they recover in a specialized cardiac unit in hospital, or should they recover at home? |
他们是应该在医院的心脏科康复 还是在家康复 |
specialized:adj.专业的; v.专门研究(或从事); (specialize的过去式和过去分词) cardiac:n.强心剂;强胃剂;adj.心脏的;心脏病的;贲门的;
|
All the cardiac doctors tried to shut him down. |
所有心脏科医生都想要把他挡在门外 |
They had the God complex in spades . |
他们完全摆出拥有万能的神力的样子 |
spades:v.用铲挖(spade的三单形式);n.锹;铲;(纸牌中的)黑桃;(spade的复数)
|
They knew that their hospitals were the right place for patients. |
他们知道医院才是病人康复的地方 |
And they knew it was very unethical to run any kind of trial or experiment. |
他们觉得做任何试验都是 不道德的 |
unethical:adj.不道德的;缺乏职业道德的;
|
Nevertheless, Archie managed to get permission to do this. |
无论如何,阿奇得到了试验的许可 |
He ran his trial. |
他进行了试验 |
And after the trial had been running for a little while, he gathered together all his colleagues around his table, and he said, "Well, gentlemen, we have some preliminary results. |
试验进行了一阵后 他把他所有的同事召集起来 在他的桌子旁, 他说:“先生们, 我们已经有了初步的结果。 |
preliminary:n.准备;预赛;初步措施;adj.初步的;开始的;预备的;
|
They're not statistically significant . |
这些数据在统计学上并不可观 |
statistically:adv.统计地;统计学上; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
|
But we have something. |
但是我们有了些数据 |
And it turns out that you're right and I'm wrong. |
结果表明你们是正确的我是错的 |
It is dangerous for patients to recover from heart attacks at home. |
让心脏病人在家 康复是危险的 |
They should be in hospital." |
他们应该留在医院里。 ” |
And there's this uproar , and all the doctors start pounding the table and saying, "We always said you were unethical, Archie. |
这引起了一片吵嚷, 医生们开始拍桌子 说:“我们一直说阿奇你这样做是不道德的” |
uproar:n.骚动;喧嚣;
|
You're killing people with your clinical trials. You need to shut it down now. |
你用你的临床试验在杀人,你应该现在就停止。 |
clinical:adj.临床的;诊所的;
|
Shut it down at once." |
马上停止。“ |
And there's this huge hubbub . |
阿奇等这一阵大声的吵嚷 |
hubbub:n.喧哗;骚动;
|
Archie lets it die down. |
安静下来后 |
And then he says, "Well that's very interesting, gentlemen, because when I gave you the table of results, |
说:“先生们, 真是很有意思, 因为当我给你们看结果的时候, |
I swapped the two columns around. |
我互换了这两行资料 |
swapped:交换;调换; columns:n.柱:(通常为)圆形石柱:(书,报纸印刷页上的)栏(column的复数)
|
It turns out your hospitals are killing people, and they should be at home. |
其实结果证明你们的医院在杀人, 病人应该在家恢复。 |
Would you like to close down the trial now, or should we wait until we have robust results?" |
你们还想让我停止试验呢 还是希望等我们得到更确切的结果?” |
close down:关闭;停止播音; robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的;
|
Tumbleweed rolls through the meeting room. |
会议室如风滚草 卷过一般安静下来 |
Tumbleweed:n.[植]风滚草;
|
But Cochrane would do that kind of thing. |
阿奇喜欢做这样的事情 |
And the reason he would do that kind of thing is because he understood it feels so much better to stand there and say, "Here in my own little world, |
他喜欢这么做的原因是 他知道 大家更喜欢 站在那里说: “ 在我的小世界里, |
I am a god, I understand everything. |
我是上帝, 我懂得一切 |
I do not want to have my opinions challenged. |
我不希望有人挑战我的观点。 |
I do not want to have my conclusions tested." |
我不需要有人来测试我的结论。” |
conclusions:n.结论,总结;决定;(conclusion的复数)
|
It feels so much more comfortable simply to lay down the law . |
简单地定下法则 然人感到很自在。 |
lay down the law:发号施令;立法;
|
Cochrane understood that uncertainty , that fallibility, that being challenged, they hurt. |
阿奇懂得 他们对那种不肯定的, 易错的 被挑战的感觉感到不爽 |
uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠;
|
And you sometimes need to be shocked out of that. |
而有的时候我们需要把这种感觉震落掉 |
Now I'm not going to pretend that this is easy. |
我不想假装这是件容易的事情 |
It isn't easy. |
这并不容易 |
It's incredibly painful . |
它会是个痛苦的过程 |
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
|
And since I started talking about this subject and researching this subject, |
当我开始谈论这个话题 研究这个话题 |
I've been really haunted by something a Japanese mathematician said on the subject. |
我脑海里一直环绕着 一个日本数学家在这个话题上说的话 |
mathematician:n.数学家;善作数字计算的人;
|
So shortly after the war, this young man, Yutaka Taniyama, developed this amazing conjecture called the Taniyama-Shimura Conjecture. |
战争一结束 这个年轻人,谷山丰 提出了惊人的推测 谷山-志村猜想 |
conjecture:n.推测;猜想;v.推测;揣摩;;
|
It turned out to be absolutely instrumental many decades later in proving Fermat's Last Theorem . |
结果几十年后 为证明费马最后定理 奠定了基础 |
instrumental:n.工具格;器乐曲;工具词;adj.起重要作用;用乐器演奏的;为乐器谱写的; Theorem:n.[数]定理;原理;
|
In fact, it turns out it's equivalent to proving Fermat's Last Theorum. |
事实,它和费马最后定理是 同等的 |
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
|
You prove one, you prove the other. |
你证明了一个,就证明了另一个 |
But it was always a conjecture. |
但是它只是一个猜想 |
Taniyama tried and tried and tried and he could never prove that it was true. |
谷山丰试了一遍又一遍 但是他不能证明它是正确的 |
And shortly before his 30th birthday in 1958, |
1958年他刚刚过了30岁后 |
Yutaka Taniyama killed himself. |
谷山丰结束了自己的生命 |
His friend, Goro Shimura -- who worked on the mathematics with him -- many decades later, reflected on Taniyama's life. |
他的朋友,志村五郎 和他一起研究数学 几十年后回顾谷山丰的生平时 |
mathematics:n.数学;数学运算; reflected:adj.反射的;得自他人的;v.反射;思考;(reflect的过去式和过去分词)
|
He said, "He was not a very careful person as a mathematician. |
他说 “他不是一个很仔细的人 作为一个数学家 |
He made a lot of mistakes. |
他犯了很多错误 |
But he made mistakes in a good direction. |
但是他能朝好的方向犯错 |
I tried to emulate him, but I realized it is very difficult to make good mistakes." |
我想效仿他 但是我发现 能朝好的方向犯错 很难。” |
emulate:vt.仿真;模仿;尽力赶上;同…竞争;n.仿真;仿效;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |