返回首页

TimFlannery_2019T-_海藻能否帮助遏制全球变暖?_-

Oh, there's a lot of it. 哦,这里有很多这个东西。
This is seaweed . 是海藻。
seaweed:n.海藻,海草;
It's pretty humble stuff . 这是很不起眼的东西。
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
But it does have some remarkable qualities. 但是它确实有一些了不起的特质。
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
For one, it grows really fast. 其中一个就是, 它们生长得非常快。
So the carbon that is part of that seaweed, just a few weeks ago, was floating in the atmosphere as atmospheric CO2, driving all the adverse consequences of climate change. 仅在几周前, 海藻中的一部分,碳, 以大气层中二氧化碳的形态 正漂浮在大气中, 造成了气候变化中的 那些不良后果。
carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; atmospheric:adj.大气的,大气层的; adverse:adj.不利的;相反的;敌对的(名词adverseness,副词adversely); consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
For the moment, it's locked safely away in the seaweed, but when that seaweed rots -- and by the smell of it, it's not far away -- when it rots, that CO2 will be released back to the atmosphere. 而此时此刻, 碳被安全的锁在海藻中, 但是当海藻腐烂时—— 而且闻起来, 它离腐烂不远了—— 当它腐烂时,二氧化碳 会被释放回大气层。
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could find a way of keeping that CO2 locked up long-term , and thereby significantly contributing to solving the climate problem? 如果我们能够找到一种方法 可以长期把二氧化碳锁住, 从而为解决气候问题 做出重大贡献, 这样岂不是棒极了?
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看; thereby:adv.从而,因此;在那附近;在那方面; significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地; contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词)
What I'm talking about here is drawdown . 我现在所说的是吸收。
drawdown:n.(美)减少;水位降低;
It's now become the other half of the climate challenge. 现在它变成了气候挑战的另一部分。
other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
And that's because we have delayed so long, in terms of addressing climate change, that we now have to do two very big and very difficult things at once. 是因为我们已经在 解决气候变化的问题上 拖延了太久了。 所以我们现在不得不同时面对 两件非常重大而艰难的问题。
We have to cut our emissions and clean our energy supply at the same time that we draw significant volumes of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. 我们要减少排放, 清洁我们的能源供应, 同时要大量吸收 大气层中的二氧化碳。
emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数) at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; volumes:n.卷;体积;容积;大量;(volumes是volume的复数) carbon dioxide:二氧化碳;
If we don't do that, about 25 percent of the CO2 we put in the air will remain there, by human standards , forever. 如果我们不这样做, 我们排入到空气中的二氧化碳 按照人类的标准, 有大约 25% 会永远留在那。
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
So we have to act. 所以我们必须行动起来。
This is really a new phase in addressing the climate crisis and it demands new thinking. 这真的是解决气候危机的 一个新的阶段, 我们需要有新的思路。
phase:n.阶段;时期;月相;(月亮的)盈亏;v.分阶段进行;逐步做; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
So, ideas like carbon offsets really don't make sense in the modern era . 所以,像碳抵消 这种想法,在当今时代 并没有什么意义。
offsets:v.抵消;弥补;补偿;(offset的第三人称单数和复数) make sense:有意义;讲得通;言之有理; era:n.新时期;纪元;年代;新时代;
You know, when you offset something, you say, "I'll permit myself to put some greenhouse gas into the atmosphere, but then I'll offset it by drawing it down." 当你们选择抵消, 你会说,“我会允许自己 向大气层中排放温室气体, 而之后我会通过吸收它来抵消掉。”
greenhouse gas:n.温室气体(尤指二氧化碳);
When you've got to both cut your emissions and draw down CO2, that thinking doesn't make sense anymore. 当你可以既减少排放量 又吸收二氧化碳, 之前那种想法不再有意义。
And when we're talking about drawdown, we're talking about putting large volumes of greenhouses gases, particularly CO2, out of circulation . 而当我们讨论吸收, 我们说的是要将大量 的温室气体,尤其是二氧化碳 移出大气循环。
greenhouses:n.温室(greenhouse的复数); particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; out of circulation:不在社会上或事业上活跃;不再流通的;
And to do that, we need a carbon price. 而要做这个,我们需要为碳定价。
We need a significant price that we'll pay for that service that we'll all benefit from. 我们需要很高的价格 来支付为我们提供福利的 这项服务。
We've made almost no progress so far with the second half of the climate challenge. 至今我们对于气候问题的第二部分 基本上没有一点进展。
It's not on most people's radar . 这不在大多数人的关注范围内。
radar:n.雷达;
And, you know, I must say, at times, I hear people saying, "I've lost hope that we can do anything about the climate crisis." 而且我必须说, 有时候,我听见人们说, “我对我们能为气候危机所做的 已经失去希望了。”
And look, I've had my sleepless nights too, I can tell you. 而且我可以告诉你们, 我已经失眠了好几夜了。
sleepless:adj.失眠的;不休息的;警觉的;永不停息的;
But I'm here today as an ambassador for this humble weed, seaweed. 但是今天我的身份是 这个不起眼的海藻的大使。
ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节;
I think it has the potential to be a big part of addressing the challenge of climate change and a big part of our future. 我觉得它有潜力 成为解决气候变化问题的 一个重大部分, 也会是我们未来的一个重要部分。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
Now, what the scientists are telling us we need to do over the next 80-odd years to the end of this century, is to cut our greenhouse gas emissions by three percent every year, and draw three gigatons of CO2 out of the atmosphere every year. 科学家们告诉我们, 我们需要在接下来的 80 年, 直到本世纪结束, 每年减少 3% 温室气体的排放, 而且每年吸收大气层中 三十亿吨的二氧化碳。
gigatons:n.十亿吨;
Those numbers are so large that they baffle us. 这些数字太大了,让我们无所适从。
baffle:vt.使…困惑;使…受挫折;用挡板控制;n.挡板;困惑;vi.做徒劳挣扎;
But that's what the scientists tell us we need to do. 但是这是科学家告诉我们要去做的。
I really hate showing this graph, but I'm sorry, I have to do it. 我非常讨厌展示这个图片, 但是对不起,我不得不给大家看。
It is very eloquent in terms of telling the story of my personal failure in terms of all the advocacy I've done in climate change work and in fact, our collective failure to address climate change. 它对于讲述关于 我在气候变化问题的 支持工作中 的失败故事是非常有说服力的, 实际上,是我们集体的失败。
eloquent:adj.意味深长的;雄辩的,有口才的;有说服力的;动人的; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; advocacy:n.主张;拥护;辩护; collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词;
You can see our trajectory there in terms of warming and greenhouse gas concentrations . 你们可以在这看见 我们对于气候变暖和 温室气体浓度问题的行动轨迹。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道; concentrations:n.关注点;[土壤]浓聚物(concentration的复数);
You can see all of the great scientific announcements that we've made, saying how much danger we face with climate change. 可以看见我们做的 所有的科学公告, 解释我们面临的气候变化 有多么危险。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
You can see the political meetings. 可以看见我们的政治会议。
None of it has changed the trajectory. 没有任何东西改变我们的轨迹。
And this is why we need new thinking, we need a new approach . 这就是为什么我们需要新的思路, 我们需要一个新的途径。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
So how might we go about drawing down greenhouse gases at a large scale ? 那么我们如何大幅度 吸收掉温室气体呢?
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
There's really only two ways of doing it, and I've done a very deep dive into drawdown. 这其实只有两条道路, 而且我已经深入研究过 吸收这个方法了。
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动);
And I'll preempt my -- 我会先发制人——
preempt:v.优先购买;预先占用;(preempt的现在分词)
And I would say this stuff comes up smelling like roses at the end of the day. 我要说这个东西最终 会闻起来像玫瑰。
It does, it's one of the best options , but there are many, many possibilities. 它确实是最好的一个选项。 但是也有其他很多,很多可能性。
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
There are chemical pathways and biological pathways. 两种方法分别是 化学途径和生物途径。
chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; pathways:n.小路;小径(pathway的复数); biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品;
So two ways, really, of getting the job done. 两者都可以达到目的。
The biological pathways are fantastic because the energy source that's needed to drive them, the sun, is effectively free. 生物途径是很棒的, 因为需要驱动它们的 能量来源,太阳, 实际上是免费的。
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
We use the sun to drive photosynthesis in plants, break apart that CO2 and capture the carbon. 我们用太阳来带动 植物的光合作用, 分解二氧化碳, 捕捉碳元素。
photosynthesis:n.光合作用; capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
There are also chemical pathways. 然后还有化学途径。
They sound ominous , but actually, they're not bad at all. 听起来不太妙,但是实际上, 它们一点也不糟糕。
ominous:adj.预兆的;不吉利的;
The difficulty they face is that we have to actually pay for the energy that's required to do the job or pay to facilitate that energy. 大家面对的难处是 我们不得不为 工作所需的能源花钱 或者为让那些能源 更方便易得花钱。
facilitate:vt.促进;帮助;使容易;
Direct air capture is a great example of a chemical pathway, and people are using that right now to take CO2 out of the atmosphere and manufacture biofuels or manufacture plastics. 直接的空气捕捉是 化学途径的一个好例子。 人们正在用这种方式 将二氧化碳从大气中, 制造生物燃料或制造塑料 的过程中搜集起来。
manufacture:v.(用机器)大量生产; n.大量制造; biofuels:n.[能源]生物燃料;生质燃料;生质能源(biofuel的复数形式);
Great progress is being made, but it will be many decades before those chemical pathways are drawing down a gigaton of CO2 a year. 人们已经有了很大的进展, 但是要实现通过化学途径 一年降低 10 亿吨二氧化碳, 还要等上好几十年。
The biological pathways offer us a lot more hope, I think, in the short term. 我认为,生物途径在短期内 会给我们更多希望。
You've probably heard about reforestation , planting trees, as a solution to the climate problem. 你们可能听过把造林,植树 作为气候问题的解决方法。
reforestation:n.重新造林; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
You know, it's a fair question: 这是一个合理的疑问:
Can we plant our way out of this problem by using trees? 我们能只通过种树来解决问题吗?
I'm skeptical about that for a number of reasons. 由于多种原因, 我对此表示怀疑。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的;
One is just the scale of the problem. 其中之一就是这个问题的规模。
All trees start as seeds, little tiny things, and it's many decades before they've reached their full carbon-capture potential. 所有树都是从非常小的种子开始, 在它们获得充分捕捉碳的能力前 需要好几十年。
carbon-capture:碳捕获;碳捕捉;发电和碳捕获;
And secondly, if you look at the land surface, you see that it's so heavily utilized . 第二点, 如果看看地表, 会发现它的使用率已经很高了。
utilized:adj.被利用的;v.利用(utilize的过去分词);
We get our food from it, we get our forestry products from it, biodiversity protection and water and everything else. 我们从中获取食物, 从中获取林业产品, 生物多样性保护, 水,以及其它所有东西。
forestry:n.林业;森林地;林学; biodiversity:n.生物多样性;
To expect that we'll find enough space to deal with this problem, 期盼我们可以找到 足够的空间来解决这个问题,
I think is going to be quite problematic . 我觉得这首先就是个问题。
problematic:adj.问题的;有疑问的;不确定的;
But if we look offshore , wee see a solution where there's already an existing industry, and where there's a clearer way forward. 但是如果我们看海上, 我们发现了一个解决方案, 而且已经形成了一个产业, 这似乎是一个更明确的前进方向。
offshore:adj.离岸的;[海洋]近海的;吹向海面的;adv.向海面,向海;
The oceans cover about 70 percent of our planet. 海洋覆盖了地球面积的 70%,
They play a really big role in regulating our climate, and if we can enhance the growth of seaweed in them, we can use them, I think, to develop a climate-altering crop. 在调节我们的气候上 扮演着非常重要的角色。 如果我们能够增强 海洋中海藻的生长, 我认为我们就可以用它们 来开发一种改变气候的农作物。
regulating:vt.调节;校正(regulate的现在分词); enhance:v.提高;增强;增进;
There are so many different kinds of seaweed, there's unbelievable genetic diversity in seaweed, and they're very ancient; they were some of the first multicellular organisms ever to evolve . 海洋中有很多不同种类的海藻, 存在着不可思议的遗传多样性, 而且它们非常古老; 它们属于最先进化 的一部分多细胞生物。
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的 genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的; multicellular:adj.[生物]多细胞的;多空隙的; organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体; evolve:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;
People are using special kinds of seaweed now for particular purposes, like developing very high-quality pharmaceutical products. 人们正为了一些特定的原因 使用特别种类的海藻, 像开发非常高质量的药物。
high-quality:adj.高质量的; pharmaceutical:adj.制药(学)的;n.药物;
But you can also use seaweed to take a seaweed bath, it's supposed to be good for your skin; 你也可以泡一个海藻浴, 它应该会对你的皮肤有好处;
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
I can't testify to that, but you can do it. 我无法证明这一点, 但是你们可以去证明。
testify:v.证明,证实;作证;
The scalability is the big thing about seaweed farming. 可扩展性是海藻养殖中的一件大事。
scalability:n.[测]可量测性;
You know, if we could cover nine percent of the world's ocean in seaweed farms, we could draw down the equivalent of all of the greenhouse gases we put up in any one year, more than 50 gigatons. 如果我们的海藻养殖能覆盖全球海洋中 9% 的海藻, 我们就可以把 一年排放的温室气体量 都搜集起来, 多于 500 亿吨。
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
Now, I thought that was fantastic when I first read it, but I thought I'd better calculate how big nine percent of the world's oceans is. 当我第一次读到它时, 我觉得这棒极了, 但是我认为最好计算一下 全世界海洋的 9% 有多大。
It turns out, it's about four and a half Australias, the place I live in. 而我们现在距离目标有多远呢?
And how close are we to that at the moment? 而我们现在距离目标有多远呢?
How many ocean-going seaweed farms do we actually have out there? 我们现在有多少海藻养殖场呢?
ocean-going:adj.远洋航行的,远洋的;
Zero. 零。
But we do have some prototypes , and therein lies some hope. 但是我们有一些试验模型, 还保有一点希望。
prototypes:n.原型;技术原型;雏型; therein:adv.在其中;在那里;
This little drawing here of a seaweed farm that's currently under construction tells you some very interesting things about seaweed. 这是正在建设中的 海藻养殖场的微型示意图, 它能告诉你们关于海藻的 一些有趣的事情。
currently:adv.当前;一般地; construction:n.建设;建筑物;解释;造句;
You can see the seaweed growing on that rack , 25 meters down in the ocean there. 你们可以看见海藻在架子上生长, 在海面以下 25 米的地方。
rack:n.架子; v.使痛苦不堪;
It's really different from anything you see on land. 它们和我们在陆地上 看见的任何东西都不同。
And the reason being that, you know, seaweed is not like trees, it doesn't have nonproductive parts like roots and trunks and branches and bark . 而原因就是,海藻不像树木, 它没有非生产性的部分, 像根,树干,树枝和树皮。
nonproductive:adj.无生产力的;非生产性的; bark:n.树皮; v.(狗)吠叫;
The whole of the plant is pretty much photosynthetic , so it grows fast. 整个植物都在做光合作用, 所以它长得很快。
photosynthetic:adj.[生化]光合的;光合作用的;
Seaweed can grow a meter a day. 海藻可以每天长一米。
And how do we sequester the carbon? 我们如何封存碳呢?
sequester:v.隔离(避免陪审团与公众接触);
Again, it's very different from on land. 同样,与陆地上非常不同,
All you need to do is cut that seaweed off -- drifts into the ocean abyss , 我们需要做的仅仅就是砍掉海藻, 让它飘入海洋深处,
drifts:n.漂流物;分额;作业分额(drift的复数);v.漂流;推移(drift的第三人称单数); abyss:n.深渊;深邃,无底洞,地狱;
Once it's down a kilometer, the carbon in that seaweed is effectively out of the atmospheric system for centuries or millennia . 一旦达到海面下一千米, 海藻中的碳 在几个世纪或者几千年内 都会远离大气系统。
millennia:n.千年期(millennium的复数);一千年;千年庆典;太平盛世;
Whereas if you plant a forest, you've got to worry about forest fires, bugs , etc., releasing that carbon. 不论你在哪种植森林, 你都需要去担心森林大火,虫害, 碳排放等等问题。
Whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之; bugs:n.缺陷;虫子;窃听器;(bug的复数)v.窃听;使烦恼;(bug的第三人称单数) releasing:n.释放;松释动作;脱扣释放;v.释放;排放;(release的现在分词);
The key to this farm, though, is that little pipe going down into the depths. 然而,养殖的关键是 深入到海底深处的小管子。
You know, the mid-ocean is basically a vast biological desert. 海洋中层基本上是 广阔的生物沙漠。
mid-ocean:adj.海洋中部的;n.海中央; basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
There's no nutrients there that were used up long ago. 那里的营养早就已经被用光。
nutrients:营养盐;[食品]营养素;
But just 500 meters down, there is cool, very nutrient-rich water. 但是往下仅仅 500 米, 就有凉爽,营养丰富的水。
nutrient-rich:营养的;
And with just a little bit of clean, renewable energy, you can pump that water up and use the nutrients in it to irrigate your seaweed crop. 而且利用一点点清洁可再生能源, 可以把那部分水抽上来, 利用里面的营养灌溉海藻。
renewable:adj.可再生的;可更新的;可继续的;n.再生性能源; pump:n.抽水机;泵;打气筒;v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动; irrigate:vt.灌溉;冲洗;使清新;vi.灌溉;冲洗;
So I think this really has so many benefits. 我认为这个方法有很多益处。
It's changing a biological desert, the mid-ocean, into a productive, maybe even planet-saving solution. 它将生物沙漠, 也就是海底中部, 改变成一个有生机的, 甚至是可以拯救地球的方案。
So what could go wrong? 那么有没有出错的情况呢?
Well, anything we're talking about at this scale involves a planetary-scale intervention . 我们现在谈论的规模 覆盖了整个地球。
involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍;
And we have to be very careful. 我们不得不非常小心。
I think that piles of stinking seaweed are probably going to be the least of our problems. 我认为那堆发臭的海藻 可能会是我们最小的问题,
piles:n.痔疮;痔; stinking:adj.发恶臭的; v.散发出恶臭;
There's other unforeseen things that will happen. 还有其它无法预见的事情发生。
unforeseen:adj.未预见到的,无法预料的;
One of the things that really worries me, when I talk about this, is the fate of biodiversity in the deep ocean. 其中一个当我说到它 就非常担心的是, 深海生物多样性的命运。
If we are putting gigatons of seaweed into the deep ocean, we're affecting life down there. 如果我们放了几十亿吨 的海藻到深海中, 我们会影响那里的生命。
The good news is that we know that a lot of seaweed already reaches the deep ocean, after storms or through submarine canyons . 好消息是,我们知道 已经有很多海藻 在海上风暴后或者通过海底峡谷 到达了海洋深处。
submarine:n.潜艇;adj.水下的;海底的v.用潜艇攻击;驾驶潜艇; canyons:n.(周围有悬崖峭壁的)峡谷;(canyon的复数)
So we're not talking about a novel process here; we are talking about enhancing a natural process. 所以我们在讨论的 不是一个全新的过程; 我们说的是改善一个自然进程。
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; enhancing:n.优化,增强;暖色加重效果;v.增强(enhance的现在分词);
And we'll learn as we go. 随着我们的前行, 我们会了解更多。
I mean, it may be that these ocean-going seaweed farms will need to be mobile , to distribute the seaweed across vast areas of the ocean, rather than creating a big stinking pile in one place. 我的意思是,这些远洋海藻养殖 需要是可移动的, 可以跨越大片海洋区域 来分布这些海藻, 而不是在一个地方 制造大片的臭味。
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; distribute:v.分发;分配;分销;分散;
It may be that we'll need to char the seaweed -- so create a sort of an inert , mineral biochar before we dispatch it into the deep. 可能我们需要的是碳化海藻, 在我们把它们发放到深海前 产生一种惰性的矿物炭。
inert:adj.[化学]惰性的;呆滞的;迟缓的;无效的; mineral:n.矿物;矿物质;汽水;adj.矿物(性)的;含矿物的;无机的; biochar:生物炭;生物碳;生物质炭; dispatch:n.派遣;急件;vt.派遣;分派;
We won't know until we start the process, and we will learn effectively by doing. 只有当我们开始这个过程时, 我们才会知道, 而且只有通过实践才会有效学习。
I just want to take you to contemporary seaweed farming. 我想简单介绍一下 现代海藻养殖。
contemporary:n.同时代的人;同时期的东西;adj.当代的;同时代的;属于同一时期的;
It's a big business -- it's a six-billion-dollar-a-year business. 这是一个很大的行业—— 一个每年产值六十亿的生意。
big business:n.(统称)大企业;大生意;
These seaweed farms off South Korea -- you can see them from space, they are huge. 在南韩的海藻养殖—— 你们可以从太空看到,它们面积很大。
And they're increasingly not just seaweed farms. 而且它们越来越多, 不只是海藻养殖。
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地;
What people are doing in places like this is something called ocean permaculture . 在这种地方人们从事 的是做海洋朴门。
permaculture:n.永久培养;
And in ocean permaculture, you grow fish, shellfish and seaweed all together. 在海洋朴门中, 人们将鱼,贝类和海藻一起培育。
shellfish:n.甲壳类动物;贝类等有壳的水生动物;
And the reason it works so well is that the seaweed makes the seawater less acid. 这个领域发展得很好的原因是 海藻使得海水的酸性降低。
seawater:n.海水;
It provides an ideal environment for growing marine protein . 这为海洋蛋白质的生长 提供了理想的环境。
protein:n.蛋白质;
If we covered nine percent of the world's oceans in ocean permaculture, we would be producing enough protein in the form of fish and shellfish to give every person in a population of 10 billion 200 kilograms of high-quality protein per year. 如果我们在全世界 9% 的海洋中 都从事海洋朴门, 我们将以鱼和贝类的形式 生产出足够的蛋白质 来给 100 亿人口每人每年 提供 200 公斤高质量的蛋白质。
So, we've got a multipotent solution here. 所以,我们现在有了一个 全能的解决方案。
multipotent:专能干细胞;多能干细胞;多潜能干细胞;
We can address climate change, we can feed the world, we can deacidify the oceans. 我们可以解决气候变化, 可以为世界供给食物, 可以给海洋降低酸性。
deacidify:v.除酸;脱酸;
The economics of all of this is going to be challenging. 所有这些在经济上都非常有挑战。
We'll be investing many, many billions of dollars into these solutions, and they will take decades to get to the gigaton scale. 我们要投入好几十亿美元 到这些方案中来, 然后要花几十年时间 达到几十亿吨的规模。
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
The reason that I'm convinced that this is going to happen is that unless we get the gas out of the air, it is going to keep driving adverse consequences. 让我相信这个计划会实现的原因是, 除非我们能够 将温室气体排出大气, 不然会继续带来不良的后果。
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
It will flood our cities, it will deprive us of food, it will cause all sorts of civil unrest . 海水会淹没我们的城市, 剥夺我们的食物, 会引起各种内乱。
deprive:vt.使丧失,剥夺; civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; unrest:n.不安;动荡的局面;不安的状态;
So anyone who's got a solution to dealing with this problem has a valuable asset . 所以任何有解决方案的人 都拥有了宝贵的资产,
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品; asset:n.资产;优点;有用的东西;有利条件;财产;有价值的人或物;
And already, as I've explained, ocean permaculture is well on the road to being economically sustainable . 而且,就像我解释过的, 海洋朴门已经在发展, 正在变成经济上可持续的产业。
economically:adv.经济地;在经济上;节俭地; sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
You know, in the next 30 years, we have to go from being a carbon-emitting economy to a carbon-absorbing economy. 在接下来 30 年, 我们要从一个碳排放经济体 走向碳吸收经济体。
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; carbon-absorbing:碳吸收数量;
And that doesn't seem like very long. 看起来这并不遥远了。
But half of the greenhouse gases that we've put into the atmosphere, we've put there in the last 30 years. 但是我们释放入大气中的 一半温室气体, 是我们在过去 30 年排放的。
My argument is, if we can put the gas in in 30 years, we can pull it out in 30 years. 我认为, 如果我们可以在 30 年内 排放这些气体, 我们也可以在 30 年内 将它们吸收。
And if you doubt how much can be done over 30 years, just cast your mind back a century, to 1919, compare it with 1950. 如果你们怀疑我们在 30 年 的时间能有多少进展, 只要回溯到一个世纪前的 1919 年, 与 1950 年比较一下。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
Now, in 1919, here in Edinburgh , you might have seen a canvas and wood biplane . 在 1919 年的爱丁堡, 你们可能见过 帆布和木头做的飞机。
Edinburgh:n.爱丁堡(英国城市名); canvas:n.帆布;(帆布)画布;油画;vt.用帆布覆盖; biplane:n.复翼飞机,双翼飞机;
Thirty years later, you'd be seeing jet aircraft . 30 年后,你们看见的是 喷气式飞机。
aircraft:n.飞机,航空器;
Transport in the street were horses in 1919. 1919 年街上的交通工具是马车。
Transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放;
By 1950, they're motor vehicles . 1950 年,变成了摩托车。
vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
1919, we had gun powder; 1950, we had nuclear power . 1919 年,我们有枪作为武器; 1950 年,我们有了核能。
nuclear power:na.核大国;
We can do a lot in a short period of time. 我们在一段很短时间的时间内 就能做很多事情。
But it all depends upon us believing that we can find a solution. 而这些全依靠于我们相信 我们能够找到一个解决办法。
Now what I would love to do is bring together all of the people with knowledge in this space. 现在我想要做的是,聚集所有的人 和在这个领域的知识。
The engineers who know how to build structures offshore, the seaweed farmers, the financiers , the government regulators , the people who understand how things are done. 知道如何建造海上结构的工程师, 海藻养殖员,金融家, 政府监管者, 所有知道怎样做成事情的人们。
structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式); financiers:n.金融家;融资人;[财政]财政家(financier的复数形式); regulators:n.调整者;调节阀(regulator的复数形式);
And chart a way forward, say: How do we go from the existing six-billion-dollar-a-year, inshore seaweed industry, to this new form of industry, which has got so much potential, but will require large amounts of investment ? 然后绘制出前进的道路, 问: 我们如何从现存的 产值 60 亿美元每年的 沿海海藻产业, 走向潜力巨大 但是需要大量投入的 新型产业?
inshore:adj.近海岸的;向陆的;adv.近海岸;向陆; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
I'm not a betting man, you know. 我不是一个爱赌的人。
betting:n.打赌;赌钱;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;(bet的现在分词)
But if I were, 如果我是,
I'll tell you, my money would be on that stuff, it would be on seaweed. 我会告诉你们, 我的钱都会下注在这里, 下注在海藻上。
It's my hero. 它是我的英雄。
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)