|
|
TimFerriss_2008P-_无所畏惧,学无止境_
|
This is Tim Ferriss circa 1979 A.D. age two. |
这是公元1979年的提姆·费里斯,两岁。 |
circa:prep.大约于;adv.大约;
|
You can tell by the power squat , I was a very confident boy -- and not without reason. |
从这个强力深蹲看得出,我是一个很自信的小孩 这是有原因的。 |
squat:v.蹲,蹲下;蹲坐;蹲伏;使蹲坐;n.蹲坐,蜷伏;adj.蹲着的;矮胖的; confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
|
I had a very charming routine at the time, which was to wait until late in the evening when my parents were decompressing from a hard day's work, doing their crossword puzzles , watching television. |
我当时一个很迷人的惯例 就是等到夜深人静时, 当我父母在熬完了一天的辛苦工作之后 在做填字游戏、看电视的时候。 |
charming:adj.令人着迷的;吸引人的;v.吸引;迷住;控制,保护;(charm的现在分词) decompressing:n.减压;v.缓缓排除压力(decompress的ing形式); crossword:n.纵横字谜;纵横填字游戏; puzzles:智力游戏;谜题(puzzle的第三人称单数和复数)
|
I would run into the living room , jump up on the couch , rip the cushions off, throw them on the floor, scream at the top of my lungs, and run out because I was the Incredible Hulk . |
我会冲进客厅,跳上沙发, 撕开靠垫,把它们摔到地上, 用尽全力地尖叫,然后跑出去 因为我是绿巨人。 |
living room:n.客厅;起居室; couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着; rip:v.撕破;突然拉开;割开;n.撕开的大口子;巨澜;清管器;废马; cushions:n.软垫; v.起缓冲作用; Incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; Hulk:n.废船;笨重的船;船体;vi.庞然大物般出现;赫然显现;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Obviously, you see the resemblence. |
你能明显地看出相似之处来。 |
And this routine went on for some time. |
这个惯例持续了一段时间。 |
When I was seven I went to summer camp . |
七岁的时候,我参加了夏令营。 |
summer camp:n.夏令营;
|
My parents found it necessary for peace of mind. |
我父母觉得这对他们的内心平静非常必要。 |
And at noon each day the campers would go to a pond , where they had floating docks . |
每天中午, 参加夏令营的孩子都会去到湖边 湖边有浮动船坞。 |
campers:n.露营者; v.在野营车中旅行或住宿(camper的三单形式); pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池; docks:n.[水运]码头; v.船入港;
|
You could jump off the end into the deep end. |
你能从船坞尽头跳进湖的深处。 |
I was born premature . I was always very small. |
我是早产儿。我一直个子很小。 |
premature:adj.早产的;不成熟的;比预期早的;n.早产儿;过早发生的事物;
|
My left lung had collapsed when I was born. |
从出生起,我的左肺就闭合了。 |
collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I've always had buoyancy problems. |
因此我身体的浮力一向不好。 |
buoyancy:n.浮力;轻快;轻松的心情;(股票)保持高价或回升;
|
So water is something that scared me to begin with, but I would go in on occasion . |
我开始时很害怕下水, 不过偶尔也会尝试。 |
on occasion:有时;偶尔;
|
And on one particular day, the campers were jumping through innertubes. |
有一天, 孩子们玩起了跳救生圈游戏。 |
They were diving through innertubes. And I thought this would be great fun. |
他们跳进水上的救生圈,潜到水里。我觉得这很有趣。 |
diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词)
|
So I dove through the innertube, and the bully of the camp grabbed my ankles. |
于是我穿过救生圈潜进水里, 这时夏令营里的一个坏孩子抓住了我的脚踝。 |
dove:n.鸽子;鸽派人士;v.潜水(dive的过去式); bully:vt.恐吓;伤害;胁迫;n.仗势欺人者;adj.快活的;盛气凌人的; grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I tried to come up for air, and my lower back hit the bottom of the tube. |
我想出水换气, 但后背被救生圈底部顶住了。 |
I went wild eyed and thought I was going to die. |
我慌得不行,以为自己要完蛋了。 |
A camp counselor fortunately came over and separated us. |
一个夏令营指导员凑巧经过,拉开了我们。 |
counselor:n.顾问;法律顾问;参事(等于counsellor); fortunately:adv.幸运地;
|
From that point onward I was terrified of swimming. |
从那时起,我对游泳产生了恐惧。 |
onward:adj.向前的;前进的;adv.向前;在前面;
|
That is something that I did not get over. |
我一直没能克服它。 |
My inability to swim has been one of my greatest humiliations and embarassments. |
身为旱鸭子一直是 最令我不堪和尴尬的事情之一。 |
inability:n.无能力;无才能; humiliations:n.丢脸,耻辱;蒙羞;谦卑;
|
That is when I realized that I was not the Incredible Hulk. |
那让我意识到,我并不是绿巨人。 |
But there is a happy ending to this story. |
但这个故事有了一个好结局。 |
At age 31, that's my age now, in August I took two weeks to re-examine swimming, and question all the of the obvious aspects of swimming. |
31岁时,就是我现在的年龄 去年八月,我用了两周时间重新审视游泳, 并对关于游泳的所有 “显而易见” 的方面提出了质疑。 |
re-examine:vt.再检验; obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
|
And went from swimming one lap, so 20 yards, like a drowning monkey, at about 200 beats per minute heart rate, |
从只能像一头落水狗一样 游一泳道,大概18米, 每分钟心跳 200 下, |
drowning:v.溺水;淹没;淹死,溺死;浸泡;(drown的现在分词)
|
I measured it, to going to Montauk on Long Island close to where I grew up and jumping into the ocean and swimming one kilometer in open water, getting out and feeling better than when I went in. |
我量过, 到从长岛的蒙淘克 我长大的地方附近, 跃入海里,游上一公里公开水域, 出水时感觉比入水时还好。 |
measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I came out, in my Speedos , European style, feeling like the Incredible Hulk. |
我出水时 穿着欧式的泳衣, 自我感觉像极了绿巨人。 |
Speedos:n.速度计;速率计(speedo的复数);
|
And that's what I want everyone in here to feel like, the Incredible Hulk, at the end of this presentation . |
我希望当这个演讲结束时, 在场的各位都能感觉像绿巨人。 |
presentation:n.展示;描述,陈述;介绍;赠送;
|
More specifically , I want you to feel like you're capable of becoming an excellent long distance swimmer , a world class language learner, and a tango champion. |
具体来说,我希望你能觉得 你有能力成为一个优秀的长距离游泳健将, 一个世界级的语言学者, 和一个探戈冠军。 |
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; swimmer:n.游泳者; tango:n.探戈舞;探戈舞曲;vi.跳探戈舞;
|
And I would like to share my art. |
我还想分享我的艺术。 |
If I have an art it's deconstructing things that really scare the living hell out of me. |
如果说我擅长一门艺术,那就是解构那些 能把我吓个半死的东西。 |
deconstructing:v.解构(deconstruct的现在分词); living hell:n.活受煎熬;活地狱;活受罪;人间地狱;
|
So, moving onward. |
好,言归正传。 |
Swimming, first principles . |
游泳,首要原则。 |
first principles:n.基本原理;基本原则;
|
First principles, this is very important. |
首要原则非常重要。 |
I find that the best results in life are often held back by false constructs and untested assumptions . |
我发现生命中本能获得的杰出成就 往往被错误的概念和未经测试的假设所拖累。 |
constructs:n.构念(construct的复数);建筑物;构图;v.设计(construct的三单形式);建造; untested:adj.未经检验的;[试验]未试验的; assumptions:n.假定;假设;承担;获得;(assumption的复数)
|
And the turnaround in swimming came when a friend of mine said, "I will go a year without any stimulants " -- this is a six-double-espresso-per-day type of guy -- "if you can complete a one kilometer open water race." |
学游泳的转机,是当 一个朋友对我说:“我能一年不服用任何兴奋剂…” 这是一个每天六杯浓咖啡的家伙 “…只要你能完成一公里公开水域游泳赛。” |
turnaround:n.转变;转向;突然好转;回车道; stimulants:n.[药]兴奋剂;刺激剂(stimulant的复数形式);
|
So the clock started ticking. |
倒计时开始了。 |
I started seeking out triathletes because I found that lifelong swimmers often couldn't teach what they did. |
我开始寻访三项全能运动员们 因为我发现经验丰富的游泳运动员们往往不懂教游泳。 |
seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) triathletes:n.参加三项全能比赛的运动员; swimmers:n.游泳者(swimmer的复数形式);白色有光绒面呢;
|
I tried kickboards. |
我试过用踢水板 |
My feet would slice through the water like razors. |
我双脚像剃刀一般破开水面。 |
slice:n.片; v.切成片; (很容易地)切开;
|
I wouldn't even move. I would leave demoralized , staring at my feet. |
但却丝毫不前进。我看着双脚,感觉很沮丧。 |
demoralized:adj.士气低落的; v.使士气低落; staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
|
Hand paddles , everything. |
划手板什么的我统统试过。 |
paddles:n.船桨(paddle的复数);划浆;v.划桨(paddle的三单形式);
|
Even did lessons with Olympians, nothing helped. |
还上过奥运会冠军的课,都没有帮助。 |
And then Chris Sacca, who is now a dear friend mine, had completed an Iron Man with 103 degree temperature, said, "I have the answer to your prayers." |
现在成了我的好友的克里斯·沙查, 当时刚刚在54度的气温下完成了铁人三项, 说:“我知道你该怎么办。” |
And he introduced me to the work of a man named Terry Laughlin who is the founder of Total Immersion Swimming. |
他将泰瑞.罗克林的作品 介绍了给我。 泰瑞是“完全沉浸游泳”的发明人。 |
Terry:n.厚绒布;毛毛圈;adj.起毛毛圈的; founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工; Immersion:n.沉浸;陷入;专心;
|
That set me on the road to examining biomechanics . |
这使我踏上了探索生物力学的旅程。 |
biomechanics:n.生物力学;生物机械学;
|
So here are the new rules of swimming, if any of you are afraid of swimming, or not good at it. |
下面是游泳的全新法则, 送给你们中害怕游泳或者不善于游泳的人。 |
The first is, forget about kicking. Very counterintuitive . |
第一条是:忘掉踢腿。非常不合常理。 |
counterintuitive:adj.违反直觉的;
|
So it turns out that propulsion isn't really the problem. |
其实推进力并非问题的关键所在。 |
propulsion:n.推进;推进力;
|
Kicking harder doesn't solve the problem because the average swimmer only transfers about three percent of their energy expenditure into forward motion . |
用力踢腿并不能解决问题。 因为一般游泳的人只将他们所用的能量 中的3%转化为前进的动力。 |
transfers:n.[电子][计]传输(tansfer的复数); v.[计]转移; expenditure:n.支出,花费;经费,消费额; motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势;
|
The problem is hydrodynamics . |
关键在于液体动力。 |
hydrodynamics:n.[流]流体力学;[流]水动力学;流体动力学;
|
So what you want to focus on instead is allowing your lower body to draft behind behind your upper body, much like a small car behind a big car on the highway. |
因此,你应当注意的是 让你的下身拖在你上身之后, 就像高速公路上跟在大车后面的小车一样。 |
draft:n.草案; v.起草; adj.供役使的; upper:adj.上面的;内陆的;n.靴面;兴奋剂;
|
And you do that by maintaining a horizontal body position. |
你通过保持身体水平做到这一点。 |
maintaining:n.维护;保养;v.维持;保养;(maintain的现在分词) horizontal:n.水平线;水平面;横线;水平位置;adj.水平的;与地面平行的;横的;
|
The only way you can do that is to not swim on top of the water. |
你能做到这一点的唯一方法 就是不游在水面上。 |
The body is denser than water. 95 percent of it would be, at least, submerged naturally . |
人体比水密度大。身体至少95%部分 会自然地沉在水面下。 |
denser:adj.密集的; (dense的比较级) submerged:adj.在水中的; v.(使)潜入水中,淹没; (submerge的过去式和过去分词) naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
|
So you end up, number three, not swimming, in the case of freestyle , on your stomach, as many people think, reaching on top of the water. |
结果就是,第三点, 当游自由式时,你并不是想大多数人想象的 浮在水面上,面朝下地游 |
freestyle:n.自由式;adj.自由式的;adv.自由地;随心所欲地;
|
But actually rotating from streamlined right, to streamlined left, maintaining that fuselage position as long as possible. |
而是从右流线型到 左流线型地交替 尽可能久地保持那个身体姿势。 |
rotating:v.(使)旋转,转动;(工作)由…轮值;(rotate的现在分词) streamlined:adj.流线型的; v.使成流线型; fuselage:n.[航]机身(飞机); as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
|
So let's look at some examples. This is Terry. |
我们来看一些例子。这是泰瑞。 |
And you can see that he's extending his right arm below his head and far in front. |
你看他向头部以下 伸展出他的右臂。 |
extending:v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;延长;(extend的现在分词)
|
And so his entire body really is underwater . |
因此他全身其实都在水下。 |
underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
|
The arm is extended below the head. |
手臂向头部以下伸出。 |
extended:adj.延长了的;扩展了的;v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;(extend的过去式和过去分词)
|
The head is held in line with the spine , so that you use strategic water pressure to raise your legs up -- very important, especially for people with lower body fat. |
头部和脊柱保持直线, 令你能够利用水压抬起你的双腿。 这点非常重要,尤其是对于身体脂肪含量少的人来说。 |
in line with:符合;与…一致; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊; strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
Here is an example of the stroke . |
这是一个击水的例子。 |
stroke:n.中风;笔画;钟声;抚摩;v.抚摩(动物的毛皮);轻抚;轻挪;轻触;
|
So you don't kick. But you do use a small flick . |
你并不踢水,而是轻微地拨水。 |
flick:v.轻弹;忽然摇动;轻轻拂去;n.弹开;快速的轻打;轻打声;
|
You can see this is the left extension . |
这是左前伸。 |
extension:n.延长;延期;扩大;伸展;电话分机;
|
Then you see his left leg. |
你看他的左腿 |
Small flick, and the only purpose of that is to rotate his hips so he can get to the opposite side. |
轻微地拨水,这样做的唯一目的 是为了旋转他的臀部,好让他转向另一侧。 |
rotate:v.旋转;转动;轮换;使…轮流; hips:n.臀部;髋;臀部…的;野蔷薇果(hip的复数)
|
And the entry point for his right hand -- notice this, he's not reaching in front and catching the water. |
然后,注意他右手的切入点 他并不是伸手向前破水 |
Rather he is entering the water at a 45-degree angle with his forearm , then propelling himself by streamlining -- very important. |
而是将前臂以45度 切入水中, 带动身体流线型前进, 这点很重要。 |
forearm:n.前臂;v.预先武装;准备; propelling:adj.推进的;n.推进;v.推动(propel的ing形式); streamlining:v.使成流线型;使效率更高;使增产节约;(streamline的现在分词)
|
Incorrect, above, which is what almost every swimming coach will teach you. |
上图不正确,不过几乎所有游泳教练都会这么教你。 |
Not their fault, honestly. |
老实说,这不能怪他们。 |
And I'll get to implicit versus explicit in a moment . |
我一会儿会谈内隐和外显的区别。 |
implicit:adj.含蓄的;暗示的;盲从的; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗; explicit:adj.明确的;清楚的;直率的;详述的; in a moment:立刻;
|
Below is what most swimmers will find enables them to do what I did, which is going from 21 strokes per 20-yard length, to 11 strokes, in two workouts , with no coach, no video monitor. |
下图是能让大多数泳者 也能做我所做到的, 那就是从每18米21次击水, 进步到11次击水, 只用两次练习,不用教练,不用录影。 |
enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) strokes:n.中风; v.轻抚; (stroke的第三人称单数和复数) workouts:n.锻炼;练习;试验;
|
And now I love swimming. I can't wait to go swimming. |
现在我爱极了游泳。我等不及再去游泳。 |
I'll be doing a swimming lesson later, for myself, if anyone wants to join me. |
我一会儿会亲自开一堂游泳课,如果有人想参加。 |
Last thing, breathing. A problem a lot of us have, certainly, when you're swimming. |
最后,呼吸,一个我们大多数人在游泳时会遇到的问题。 |
In freestyle, easiest way to remedy this is to turn with body roll, and just to look at your recovery hand as it enters the water. |
游自由式时,最简单的补救方法 就是随着身体转动 看着你入水的手 |
remedy:vt.补救;治疗;纠正;n.补救;治疗;赔偿; recovery:n.恢复,复原;痊愈;重获;
|
And that will get you very far. |
这能让你游上很远。 |
That's it. That's really all you need to know. |
到此为止。你要知道的真的只有这些。 |
Languages. Material versus method. |
语言。教材对方法。 |
I, like many people, came to the conclusion that I was terrible at languages. |
我和许多人一样认为 我没有学语言的天分。 |
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论;
|
I suffered through Spanish for junior high, first year of high school. |
我初中和高一时,西班牙语学得痛苦极了。 |
junior:n.青少年;职位较低者;adj.青少年的;地位低下的;
|
And the sum total of my knowledge was pretty much, "Donde esta el bano?" |
我最后记得的就只有一句 Donde esta el bano (厕所在哪里?) |
And I wouldn't even catch the response . A sad state of affairs. |
而且我连回答都听不懂。凄凉得很。 |
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
Then I transferred to a different school sophomore year. |
然后,我高二时转了校。 |
transferred:v.(使)转移,搬迁;(使)调动;(transfer的过去分词和过去式) sophomore:n.(大学)二年级学生:(高中)二年级学生:
|
I had a choice of other languages. Most of my friends were taking Japanese. |
我可以选一门别的语言课。我的大多数朋友都选了日语。 |
So I thought why not punish myself? I'll do Japanese. |
我想:我为什么不也折腾我自己一下呢?于是我选了日语。 |
Six months later I had the chance to go to Japan. |
半年后,我有一个去日本的机会。 |
My teachers assured me, they said, "Don't worry. |
我的老师们鼓励我说:“别担心。 |
assured:adj.确定的;自信的;n.被保险人;v.保证;确实;(assure的过去分词和过去式);
|
You'll have Japanese language classes every day to help you cope . |
你每天都会上日语课,帮你适应。 |
cope:v.处理;n.大圆衣;
|
It will be an amazing experience." My first overseas experience in fact. |
这会是一次难忘的经历。” 事实上这也是我的第一次海外生活。 |
overseas:adv.在海外,海外;adj.海外的,国外的;
|
So my parents encouraged me to do it. I left. |
我的父母也鼓励我去。于是我上路了。 |
I arrived in Tokyo. Amazing. |
我来到了东京。难忘啊。 |
I couldn't believe I was on the other side of the world. |
我不敢相信我来到了世界的另一端。 |
on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
|
I met my host family. Things went quite well I think, all things considered. |
我和我的寄宿家庭会面了。我觉得 总体来说,一切进展得很顺利 |
My first evening, before my first day of school, |
第一个晚上,我开学前的一天, |
I said to my mother, very politely, "Please wake me up at eight a.m." |
我很有礼貌地对寄宿妈妈说: “请在早上八点叫醒我。” |
So, (Japanese) |
也就是(日语) |
But I didn't say (Japanese). I said, (Japanese). Pretty close. |
但是我没有说(日语)。我说成了(日语)。很接近。 |
But I said, "Please rape me at eight a.m." |
但是我说的是:“请在早上八点强奸我。” |
rape:n.强奸罪;强奸案;v.强奸;强暴;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You've never seen a more confused Japanese woman. |
你找不到比她更一头雾水的日本女人了。 |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I walked in to school. |
我走进学校。 |
And a teacher came up to me and handed me a piece of paper. |
一位老师走过来,递给我一张纸。 |
I couldn't read any of it -- hieroglyphics , it could have been -- because it was Kanji , |
我一个字也不认识 ── 那都是象形文字 那是汉字, |
hieroglyphics:n.[语]象形文字;难以辨认或理解的文字(hieroglyphic的复数形式); Kanji:n.日本汉字;
|
Chinese characters adapted into the Japanese language. |
日语中使用的中国文字。 |
adapted:adj.适于…的; v.使适应,使适合; (adapt的过去分词和过去式)
|
Asked him what this said. |
我问他这上面说的是什么。 |
And he goes, "Ahh, okay okay, eehto, World History, ehh, Calculus , |
他说:“啊,没问题, 嗯…世界历史…嗯…微积分 |
Calculus:n.[病理]结石;微积分学;
|
Traditional Japanese." And so on. |
传统日语…” 依此类推。 |
Traditional:传统的,惯例的,
|
And so it came to me in waves. |
一波波地向我涌来。 |
There had been something lost in translation. |
事实上翻译中出了错。 |
The Japanese classes were not Japanese instruction classes, per se . |
日语课不是教日语的课 |
per se:adv.本身;本质上;
|
They were the normal high school curriculum for Japanese students. |
而且为一般日本高中生开设的日常课程。 |
curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
|
The other 4,999 students in the school, who were Japanese, besides the American. |
也就是学校里另外4999名日本学生,除了我这个美国人。 |
besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外;
|
And that's pretty much my response. |
我的反应大概就像这样。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And that set me on this panic driven search for the perfect language method. |
这恐慌使我开始寻找完美的学语言方法。 |
panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措;
|
I tried everything. I went to Kinokuniya. |
我试遍了所有方法。我跑到纪伊国屋书店、 |
I tried every possible book, every possible CD. |
试遍了每一本书,每一套CD。 |
Nothing worked until I found this. |
什么都没有用,直到我发现了这个。 |
This is the Joyo Kanji. This is a Tablet rather, or a poster of the 1,945 common use characters as determined by the Ministry of Education in 1981. |
这是《常用汉字表》。这张表上 有1945个最常用的汉字 是由教育部在1981年修订的。 |
Tablet:n.碑;药片;写字板;小块; poster:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人; determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) Ministry:n.(政府的)部门;
|
Many of the publications in Japan limit themselves to these characters, to facilitate literacy -- some are required to. |
日本的许多出版社限定只使用这些字 以方便人们认读。 |
publications:n.出版物(publication的复数); facilitate:vt.促进;帮助;使容易; literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学;
|
And this became my Holy Grail , my Rosetta Stone . |
这成了我的圣杯,我的罗塞塔石碑 |
Holy Grail:na.圣杯; Rosetta Stone:n.有助于解释神秘事物(或未知领域)的事物;有启示作用的发现;
|
As soon as I focused on this material, |
当我专注学习这份材料后, |
As soon as:一…就;
|
I took off. |
我进步飞速。 |
I ended up being able to read Asahi Shinbu, Asahi newspaper, about six months later -- so a total of 11 months later -- and went from Japanese I to Japanese VI. |
6个月之后,也就是一共11个月之后, 我已经能够看懂《朝日新闻》了 从日语1级进步到日语4级。 |
Ended up doing translation work at age 16 when I returned to the U.S., and have continued to apply this material over method approach to close to a dozen languages now. |
我回到美国后,从16岁就开始从事翻译工作, 并不断地使用这种 “材料优于方法”的方式 学习了近12种语言。 |
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
Someone who was terrible at languages, and at any given time, speak, read and write five or six. |
从一个学不好语言的人, 到同时说、读、写五六种语言。 |
This brings us to the point, which is, it's oftentimes what you do, not how you do it, that is the determining factor . |
这告诉我们: 往往你做什么, 而不是你怎么做,是关键所在。 |
oftentimes:adv.时常地; determining:v.查明;测定;准确算出;决定;支配;裁决;(determine的现在分词) factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
|
This is the difference between being effective -- doing the right things -- and being efficient -- doing things well whether or not they're important. |
这是有效能(做正确的事情)和 有效率(做好事情,不管它们是否重要)之间的区别。 |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; efficient:adj.有效率的;有能力的;生效的; whether or not:是否…;
|
You can also do this with grammar. |
你能够将这个原则应用在语法上。 |
I came up with these six sentences after much experimentation . |
我在实验之后得出这六个句子。 |
experimentation:n.实验;试验;
|
Having a native speaker allow you to deconstruct their grammar, by translating these sentences into past, present, future, will show you subject, object, verb, placement of indirect , direct objects, gender and so forth. |
让一个本地人将这些句子翻译成过去,现在,和将来式, 就能使你解析他们的语法 找到主语、宾语、动词、 间接和直接宾语的位置、语法性别,等等。 |
native speaker:n.说本族语的人;母语使用者; indirect:adj.间接的;迂回的;非直截了当的; gender:n.性别;
|
From that point, you can then, if you want to, acquire multiple languages, alternate them so there is no interference . |
从那里起,如果你愿意,你就能学习多种语言 灵活转换而不相互影响。 |
acquire:v.获得;取得;学到;捕获; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; alternate:vi.交替;轮流;vt.使交替;使轮流;adj.交替的;轮流的;n.替换物; interference:n.干扰,冲突;干涉;
|
We can talk about that if anyone in interested. |
如果有人感兴趣,我们可以深入谈。 |
And now I love languages. |
现在,我爱极了语言。 |
So ballroom dancing , implicit versus explicit -- very important. |
然后,交谊舞,內隐对外显 这很重要。 |
ballroom dancing:na.交际舞;
|
You might look at me and say, "That guy must be a ballroom dancer." |
你看到我,或许会说:“这家伙交谊舞肯定跳得不错。” |
But no, you'd be wrong because my body is very poorly designed for most things -- pretty well designed for lifting heavy rocks perhaps. |
但你错了 因为我的身体构造很不适合做许多事情 可能倒是很适合扛大石头。 |
I used to be much bigger, much more muscular . |
我之前很壮实,有很多肌肉。 |
muscular:adj.肌肉的;肌肉发达的;强健的;
|
And so I ended up walking like this. |
导致我走起路来像这样。 |
I looked a lot like an orangutan , our close cousins, or the Incredible Hulk -- not very good for ballroom dancing. |
看上去很像我们的近亲大猩猩,或者说像绿巨人。 实在是不适合跳交谊舞。 |
orangutan:n.[脊椎]猩猩(等于orangoutang);
|
I found myself in Argentina in 2005. |
2005年,我去到阿根廷。 |
Argentina:n.阿根廷(位于拉丁美洲);
|
I decided to watch a tango class -- had no intention of participating -- went in, paid my ten pesos , walked up -- 10 women two guys, usually a good ratio . |
决定去旁听一堂探戈舞课,根本没打算实际跳 付了10比索入场费, 进去一看,10位女士2位男士,本当是个不错的比例。 |
intention:n.意图;目的;意向;愈合; participating:v.参加;参与(participate的现在分词) pesos:abbr.外层电子光电光谱法(PhotoelectronSpectroscopyofOuter-Shell); ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例;
|
The instructor says, "You are participating." |
结果教练说:“你也来跳。” |
instructor:n.指导书;教员;指导者;
|
Immediately, death sweat. |
马上,一身冷汗。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Fight or flight fear sweat because I tried ballroom dancing in college -- stepped on the girl's foot with my heel . She screamed. |
挺身而出还是逃之夭夭?我在大学时试过交谊舞 结果脚跟踩到了女孩脚上。她尖叫起来。 |
heel:n.脚后跟;足跟;卑鄙的家伙;v.给(鞋等)修理后跟;倾侧;倾斜
|
I was so concerned with her perception of what I was doing, that it exploded in my face, never to return to the ballroom dancing club. |
我很在意她对我的看法, 急得一脸通红, 之后再也不踏入交谊舞池。 |
concerned with:关心;涉及;忙于;与…有关; perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力; exploded:adj.分解的; v.爆炸; (explode的过去分词和过去式)
|
She comes up, and this was her approach, the teacher. |
教练走上来。她的教学方式是这样的: |
'"Okay, come on, grab me." |
“好,来吧,抓住我。” |
Gorgeous assistant instructor. |
迷人的助理教练。 |
Gorgeous:adj.华丽的,灿烂的;极好的;
|
She was very pissed off that I had pulled her from her advanced practice. |
她对我打断她的进阶练习很是不满。 |
pissed:adj.烂醉的;怒冲冲的;v.撒尿;(piss的过去分词和过去式) advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式)
|
So I did my best. I didn't know where to put my hands. |
于是我尽力而为,但我连手放哪儿都不知道。 |
And she pulled back, threw down her arms, put them on her hips, turned around and yelled across the room, "This guy is built like a god damned mountain of muscle , and he's grabbing me like a fucking Frenchman," |
她退开,两手一甩, 插到腰间,转过身对一房间的人喊道: “这家伙一身的横肉, 还像个该死的法国人一样抓我,” |
damned:adj.该死的; v.该死,混账; (damn的过去分词和过去式) muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出; grabbing:v.抓住;夺得;利用,抓住(机会)(grab的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
which I found encouraging. |
这激励了我。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Everyone burst into laughter. I was humiliated . |
全场大笑,我尴尬极了。 |
burst into:闯入;情绪的突然发作; humiliated:v.羞辱;使丧失尊严;(humiliate的过去分词和过去式)
|
She came back. She goes, "Come on. I don't have all day." |
她走回来,说:“来吧,别浪费时间。” |
As someone who wrestled since age eight, I proceeded to crush her, of Mice and Men style. |
作为一个八岁起练摔跤的人, 我一不小心又把她压倒了。 |
wrestled:v.摔跤;奋力对付;全力解决;(wrestle的过去分词和过去式) proceeded:v.继续做;接着做;继而做;行进;前往;(proceed的过去分词和过去式) crush:v.压碎;弄皱,变形;使…挤入;n.粉碎;迷恋;压榨;拥挤的人群;
|
And she looked up and said, "Now that's better." |
她抬起头说: “这回好多了。” |
So I bought a month's worth of classes. |
于是我买了一个月的课程。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And proceeded to look at -- |
接下来就是 |
I wanted to set competition so I'd have a deadline -- |
我打算参加竞赛,好让自己有一个截止日期。 |
competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛; deadline:n.最后期限;截止日期;
|
Parkinson's Law, the perceived complexity of a task will expand to fill the time you allot it. |
帕金森定理 待办事项的复杂程度会因你为其安排的时间而变。 |
perceived:v.注意到;意识到;将…视为;认为;(perceive的过去式和过去分词) complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开; allot:vt.分配;拨给;分派;
|
So I had a very short deadline for a competition. |
于是我报名参加了一个竞赛,把截止日期定得很短。 |
I got a female instructor first, to teach me the female role, the follow, because I wanted to understand the sensitivities and abilities that the follow needed to develop, so I wouldn't have a repeat of college. |
我先请了一名女教练, 教我女方跟舞, 因为我想弄明白跟舞所需要培养的 感觉和技能,这样之后我就不用重学一遍。 |
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; sensitivities:n.敏感;敏感性(sensitivity的复数);
|
And then I took and inventory of the characteristics , along with her, of the of the capabilities and elements of different dancers who'd won championships . |
然后,我和她一起, 收集整理了许多探戈冠军 能力和特点。 |
inventory:n.存货,存货清单;详细目录;财产清册; characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数) elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数) championships:n.锦标赛,冠军(championship的复数);
|
I interviewed these people because they all taught in Buenos Aires. |
他们都在布宜诺斯艾利斯教课,于是我采访了他们。 |
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式)
|
I compared the two lists, and what you find is that there is explicitly , expertise they recommended , certain training methods. |
我对比了两张单子, 发现其中有外显的: 他们推荐的技能,一些练习的方法。 |
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) explicitly:adv.明确地;明白地; expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见; recommended:v.推荐;举荐;介绍;劝告;建议;(recommend的过去分词和过去式)
|
Then there were implicit commonalities that none of them seemed to be practicing. |
然后还有内隐的共同点, 但似乎没有人练习。 |
commonalities:n.公共;共性;老百姓;平民;
|
Now the protectionism of Argentine dance teachers aside, |
抛开阿根廷舞蹈教练的保护主义不谈, |
protectionism:n.保护主义,贸易保护主义;贸易保护制度; Argentine:adj.阿根廷的;银的;n.阿根廷人;银;
|
I found this very interesting. So I decided to focus on three of those commonalities. |
我觉得这很有趣。于是我决定专注于其中三个共性。 |
Long steps. So a lot of milongueros, the tango dancers, will use very short steps. |
大步子。很多 milongueros 探戈舞者 步子很小 |
I found that longer steps were much more elegant . |
我觉得长步好看多了。 |
elegant:adj.高雅的,优雅的;讲究的;简炼的;简洁的;
|
So you can have -- and you can do it in a very small space in fact. |
也就是这样 就是在很小的空间里也能用。 |
Secondly, different types of pivots . |
第二点,不同的轴转, |
pivots:n.枢轴; vt.以…为中心旋转; vi.在枢轴上转动; adj.枢轴的;
|
Thirdly, variation in tempo . |
第三点,节奏的变化。 |
variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; tempo:n.速度,发展速度;拍子;
|
These seemed to be the three areas that I could exploit , to compete , if I wanted to comptete against people who'd been practicing for 20 to 30 years. |
要是我打算和练习了二三十年的老手同场竞技, 这似乎是我能探索、完善的三个方面。 |
exploit:v.利用…为自己谋利;剥削;压榨;运用;发挥; compete:v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛(或竞赛);
|
That photo is of the semi-finals of the Buenos Aires championships, four months later. |
那张相片是四个月后, 布宜诺斯艾利斯冠军赛半决赛。 |
semi-finals:n.半决赛(semi-final的复数形式);
|
Then one month later, went to the world championships, made it to the semi-final. And then set a world record, following that, two weeks later. |
然后一个月后,参加了世界冠军赛, 一路冲入了半决赛。随后在两星期后, 创下了一项世界纪录。 |
I want you to see part of what I practiced. |
我想让你看一下我是怎样练习的。 |
I'm going to jump forward here. |
我快进一下。 |
This is the instructor that Alicia and I chose for the male lead. |
这是我和艾莉西亚选的男方领舞教练。 |
His name is Gabriel Misse. |
他叫加布里·米赛。 |
One of the most elegant dancers of his generation, known for his long steps, and his tempo changes and his pivots. |
他那一代人中最杰出的舞者之一, 以他的长步、节奏变换、和轴转 而闻名。 |
Alicia, in her own right, very famous. |
艾莉西亚也颇有名气。 |
So I think you'll agree, they look quite good together. |
所以我想你们也会同意:他们看上去很融洽。 |
Now what I like about this video is it's actually a video of the first time they ever danced together because of his lead. He had a strong lead. |
我尤其喜欢这段影片 这实际上是他们第一次共舞。 因为他的领舞很强。 |
He didn't lead with his chest, which requires you lean forward. |
他并不用胸领舞,那样你要前倾。 |
lean:v.前俯(或后仰):倾斜:adj.肉少的:难以赚钱的:贫乏的:n.瘦肉:
|
I couldn't develop the attributes in my toes , the strength in my feet, to do that. |
我没办法锻炼我的脚趾, 以达到那样的强度。 |
attributes:v.把…归因于; n.属性; (attribute的第三人称单数和复数) toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数)
|
So he uses a lead that focuses on his shoulder girdle and his arm. |
因此他用另一种领舞, 专注于肩带和手臂。 |
girdle:n.腰带;围绕物;妇女紧身褡;v.围绕;绕…而行;用带子捆扎;
|
So he can lift the woman to break her, for example. |
因此他能抱起女方,比如说。 |
That's just one benefit of that. |
那仅仅是其中的一个优点。 |
So then we broke it down. |
然后,我们将其分解。 |
This would be an example of one pivot. |
这是一个单轴转的例子。 |
This is a backstep pivot. |
这是一个后步轴转。 |
backstep:n.后退;vi.后退;
|
There are many different types. |
轴转有许多不同类型。 |
I have hundreds of hours of footage . |
我拍了上百小时的录像。 |
footage:n.英尺长度;连续镜头;以尺计算长度;
|
All categorized , much like George Carlin categorized his comedy. |
全部归类,就像乔治·卡林 归类他的喜剧一样。 |
categorized:adj.分类的;v.分类(categorize的过去式); Carlin:n.老妇人;巫婆;
|
So using my arch nemesis , |
用我的宿敌 —— 西班牙语 |
arch:n.拱;拱门;足背;拱形;v.成弓形;呈拱形覆盖;adj.调皮的;淘气的 nemesis:n.报应;给与惩罚的人;天罚;n.主要敌人,强硬对手;
|
Spanish, no less, to learn tango. |
学习探戈。 |
So fear is your friend. Fear is an indicator . |
恐惧是你的朋友。恐惧是一个指标。 |
indicator:n.指示器;[试剂]指示剂;[计]指示符;压力计;
|
Sometimes it shows you what you shouldn't do. |
有时候它告诉你不该做什么。 |
More often than not it shows you exactly what you should do. |
但更多时候,它恰恰告诉你该做什么 |
More often than not:通常;多半;
|
And the best results that I've had in life, the most enjoyable times, have all been from asking a simple question. |
我生命中获得的最好成就, 最美好的时光,都源于问一个简单的问题: |
enjoyable:adj.快乐的;令人愉快的;
|
What's the worst that can happen? |
“最坏的可能是什么?” |
Especially with fears you gained when you were a child. |
尤其是对于你从小时候就有的恐惧。 |
Take the analytical frameworks, the capabilities you have, apply them to old fears. |
用理性思维,将你的能力 运用在克服陈年的恐惧上。 |
analytical:adj.分析的;解析的;善于分析的;
|
Apply them to very big dreams. |
借助它们实现伟大的梦想。 |
And when I think of what I fear now, it's very simple. |
我思考现在我害怕什么,答案很简单。 |
When I imagine my life, what my life would have been like without the educational opportunities that I had, it makes me wonder. |
当我想象我的人生 如果我没有机会接受教育, 会是如何地不同。 这令我深思。 |
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的
|
I've spent the last two years trying to deconstruct the American public school system, to either fix it or replace it. |
我在过去的两年中 尝试解构美国公共教育系统, 以将其修复或取代。 |
public school:(美国和苏格兰的初等或中等的)公立中小学;寄宿学校;
|
And have done experiments with about 50,000 students thus far, built, I'd say, about a half dozen schools, my readers, at this point. |
至今,我已经用五万名学生做了试验, 建立了六所学校, 我的读者们,现在。 |
And if any of you are interested in that, |
如果你们对此感兴趣, |
I would love to speak with you. |
我希望能和你们交流。 |
I know nothing. I'm a beginner . |
我一无所知。我是个初学者。 |
beginner:n.初学者;新手;创始人;
|
But I ask a lot of questions, and I would love your advice. |
但我会问许多问题,也欢迎你们的建议。 |
Thank you very much. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |