返回首页

TimBrown_2008P-_谈创造力与游戏_

So this guy, this guy is a guy named Bob McKim. 这位仁兄, 这位仁兄叫做博布?马金。
And he was a creativity researcher in the '60s and '70s, and also led the Stanford design program. *60、*70 年代时他是创造力研究者, 同时负责史丹福大学的设计学程。
And in fact, my friend and IDEO founder , David Kelley, who’s out there somewhere, studied under him at Stanford. 事实上,我的朋友兼 IDEO 创办人大卫?凯利, 他也在场,曾在史丹福当他的学生。
founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工;
And he liked to do an exercise with his students where he got them to take a piece of paper and draw the person sat next to them, their neighbor, very quickly, just as quickly as they could. 他喜欢要学生做一个练习 要他们拿一张纸 画坐在身边的人,他们的邻座, 很快地画,越快越好。
And in fact, we’re going to do that exercise right now. 事实上,我们就要来做那个练习。
You all have a piece of cardboard and a piece of paper. 你们都有一片纸板和一张纸。
cardboard:n.[纸]硬纸板;纸板箱;卡纸板;adj.不真实的;硬纸板制的;
It’s actually got a bunch of circles on it. 它有着一堆的圆圈在上面。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
I need you to turn that piece of paper over , you should find it’s blank on the other side , OK? 我要你们把纸翻过来, 背面是空白的,是吧?
paper over:隐瞒;掩饰; on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
And there should be a pencil. 也该有一枝铅笔。
And I want you to pick somebody that’s sat next to you, and when I say, go, you’ve got 30 seconds to draw your neighbor, OK? 我要你找个坐在你旁边的人, 当我说?开始?,你用 30 秒画你的邻座,好吗?
So, everybody ready? OK. Off you go. 都预备好了吗?好了?开始。
You’ve got 30 seconds, you’d better be fast. 你有 30 秒,最好画快些。
Come on, those masterpieces . 加油,画出杰作。
masterpieces:n.杰作;绝无仅有的人;
OK? Stop. All right, now. 好?停。很好,到了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yes, lot’s of laughter. Yeah, exactly. 是呀,很多笑声。就是这样。
Lots of laughter, quite a bit of embarrassment . 很多笑声,有点难为情。
embarrassment:n.窘迫,难堪;使人为难的人或事物;拮据;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Am I hearing a few, sorry’s? I think I’m hearing a few sorry’s. 有人说?不好意思??我猜我听到有人说?不好意思?。
Yup, yup, I think I probably am. 对,对,我有听到。
And that’s exactly what happens every time, every time you do this with adults. 那正是每次都有的事, 每次你要大人做这个。
And McKim found this every time he did it with his students. 马金每次要学生做,都发现这样。
He got exactly the same response : lots and lots of sorry’s. 得到的反应完全一样:许许多多?不好意思?。
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And he would point this out as evidence that we fear the judgment of our peers , and that we’re embarrassed about, kind of, showing our ideas to people we think of as our peers , to those around us. 他会指出这是证据 我们害怕同侪的评断, 我们不好意思展现自己的构想 给我们的同侪,给周边的人。
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力; peers:n.平辈,同事(peer的复数);v.凝视;比得上(peer的三单形式); embarrassed:adj.尴尬的;窘迫的;v.使...局促不安;(embarrass的过去分词和过去式)
And it’s this fear is what causes us to be conservative in our thinking. 就是这种害怕使我们 变成思想上保守。
conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者;
So we might have a wild idea, but we’re afraid to share it with anybody else. 我们或许有个狂野的想法, 但我们怕和任何人分享。
OK, so if you try the same exercise with kids, they have no embarrassment at all. 好,如果你要儿童做同样的练习, 他们一点都不会难为情。
They just quite happily show their masterpiece to whoever wants to look at it. 他们都高兴地展现自己的杰作 给任何想看它的人。
whoever:任何人:无论是谁:
But as they learn to become adults, they become much more sensitive to the opinions of others, and they lose that freedom and they do start to become embarrassed. 但当他们学着长大, 他们对别人的意见变得大为敏感, 而失去了那个自由,也开始变得难为情。
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人;
And in studies of kids playing, it’s been shown time after time , that kids who feel secure, who are in a kind of trusted environment, they’re the ones that feel most free to play. 研究游戏中的儿童,已经一次次 证明了只要孩子们觉得安心、 是在一种信赖的环境里, 他们就越觉得能尽兴去玩。
time after time:常常;反复;一次又一次;一再;两世奇人;
And if you’re starting a design firm, let’s say, then you probably also want to create, you know, a place where people have the same kind of security. 例如说,你计划要成立一家设计公司, 你因此可能也要规划一个地方 让人感到有安全感。
Where they have the same kind of security to take risks. 那里他有敢去冒险的安全感。
Maybe have the same kind of security to play. 也许有敢去游戏的安全感。
Before founding IDEO, David said that what he wanted to do was to form a company where all the employees are my best friends. 创立 IDEO 之前,大卫说他想做的是 组一家员工全是他的好朋友的公司。
Now, that wasn’t just self-indulgence . 那并不是只自我陶醉。
self-indulgence:n.放纵;任性;
He knew that friendship is a short cut to play. 他知道,友谊是游戏的关键。
a short cut:捷径;
And he knew that it gives us a sense of trust, and it allows us then to take the kind of creative risks that we need to take as a designer. 他知道,那给我们信赖感, 也容许我们去冒创意风险 就是设计师都要冒的风险。
creative:adj.创造性的;
And so that kind of decision to work with his friends -- now he has 550 of them -- was what got IDEO started. 所以那种想和朋友一起工作的决定 - 如今他有 550 位 - 是 IDEO 的缘起。
And our studios , like, I think, many creative workplaces today, are designed to help people feel relaxed . 而我们的工作室,像今天的许多创意工作区一样, 其设计是要帮助人们觉得放松。
studios:n.工作室(studio的复数); workplaces:n.[管理]工作场所(workplace的复数); relaxed:adj.轻松的;冷静的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(relax的过去分词和过去式)
Familiar with their surroundings , comfortable with the people that they’re working with. 熟悉他们的周遭, 自在地与同事一起工作。
Familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; surroundings:n.周围的环境;环境;(surrounding的复数)
It takes more than decor , but I think we’ve all seen that, you know, creative companies do often have symbols in the workplace that remind people to be playful , and that it’s a permissive environment. 它不只是装潢,我想你们都知道, 创意公司往往在工作区都有个?象征? 可以提醒人要敢玩, 以及那是个容许放肆的环境。
decor:n.装饰,布置; symbols:n.符号;象征;标志;符号表(symbol的复数); remind:v.提醒;使想起; playful:adj.开玩笑的;幽默的;爱嬉戏的; permissive:adj.许可的;自由的;宽容的;(两性关系)放纵的;
So whether it’s this microbus meeting room that we have in one our buildings at IDEO, or at Pixar where the animators work in wooden huts and decorated caves. 因此不论是这个箱型车会议室 就在 IDEO 的一栋大楼里, 或在匹克萨,动画师们在木屋及装饰的洞穴里工作。
microbus:n.中客车;微型客车;小型公共汽车; Pixar:n.皮克斯;皮克斯动画工作室; animators:n.动画家;赋予生气者(animator的复数); wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 huts:n.小屋;临时营房;vt.使住在小屋中;驻扎;vi.住在小屋中;驻扎; decorated:v.装饰;装潢;粉刷;点缀;装点;(decorate的过去分词和过去式)
Or at the Googleplex where, you know, it’s famous for its volley beach ball courts, and even this massive dinosaur skeleton with pink flamingos on it. 或在谷歌城,你知道的, 它有名的是沙滩排球场, 以及这个巨大的恐龙骨骼及上面的红鹤。
volley:n.齐射; vt.截击; vi.截击; beach ball:n.沙滩球; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; skeleton:n.骨架,骨骼;纲要;骨瘦如柴的人;adj.骨骼的;骨瘦如柴的;概略的; flamingos:n.火烈鸟;火鹤(flamingo的复数);
Don’t know the reason for the pink flamingos, but anyway, they’re there in the garden. 不懂红鹤的理由是什么, 但是总之,它们就在庭院里。
Or even in the Swiss office of Google , which perhaps has the most wacky ideas of all. 或者,甚至瑞士的谷歌办公室, 这里有或许是最搞怪的点子。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; wacky:adj.乖僻的,古怪的;
And my theory is that’s so the Swiss can prove to their Californian colleagues that they’re not boring . 我的理论是这样的:瑞士可以证明给 加州同事们说,他们不会无聊。
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
So they have the slide, and they even have a fireman’s pole . 他们有滑梯,他们甚至有消防队的钢管。
pole:n.磁极;电极;柱子;杆子;v.用篙撑船;摆船;
Don’t know what they do with that, but they have one. 不知他们拿那个做什么,但他们就是有。
So all of these places, you know, have these symbols. 因此, 所有这些地方都有这些?象征?。
Now, our big symbol at IDEO is actually not so much the place, it’s a thing. 而我们在 IDEO 的大?象征?,实际上 并不是个地点,而是件物品。
And it’s actually something that we invented a few years ago, or created a few years ago. 它实际上是我们几年前发明的东西, 或几年前创造出来的。
So it’s a toy. And it’s called a "finger blaster ." 那是个玩具,叫做 「弹射镖」。
blaster:n.导火线,爆裂药;爆破工;
And I forgot to bring one up with me. 我忘了带一个上来。
So if somebody can reach under that chair that’s next to them, you’ll find something taped underneath it. 谁可以到旁边那把椅子下, 你可以找到就贴在座垫底下。
underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
That’s great. If you could pass it up. Thanks, David, I appreciate it. 很好。请递给我。谢谢你大卫,感谢。
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
So this is a finger blaster, and you will find that every one of you has got one taped under your chair. 这就是弹射镖,你们都可以找到一个 贴在你的座垫下。
And I’m going to run a little experiment. Another little experiment. 我要来个小实验。另一个小实验。
But before we start, I need just to put these on. 但是开始前,我要戴上这个。
Thank you. All right. 谢谢。好了。
Now, what I’m going to do is, I’m going to see how -- 现在,我要做的是:我要看如何 -
I can’t see out of these, OK. 我看不到,好了。
I’m going to see how many of you at the back of the room can actually get those things onto the stage. 我要看有多少位坐在房间后面的 可以把这些东西射上舞台。
So the way they work is, you know, you just put your finger in the thing, pull them back, and off you go. 使用方法是,你知道的, 把手指套进去, 向后拉,放开就射出了。
So, don’t look backwards. That’s my only recommendation here. 不要回头看。这是我唯一的建议。
recommendation:n.推荐;介绍;提议;正式建议;
So I want to see how many of you can get these things on the stage . 所以我要看有多少人能把它射上舞台。
on the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员;
So come on! There we go, there we go. Thank you. Thank you. Oh. 开始了!来吧、来吧。谢谢、谢谢。噢。
I have another idea. I wanted to -- there we go. 我有另一个想法。我要 - 来吧。
(Laughter) (笑声)
There we go. 来吧。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Thank you, thank you, thank you. 谢谢、谢谢、谢谢。
Not bad, not bad. No serious injuries so far. 不错、不错。还没有严重伤害。
injuries:n.伤害,损伤;挫伤;(injury的复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
Well, they’re still coming in from the back there; they’re still coming in. 嗯,它们继续从后方飞过来: 继续飞过来。
Some of you haven’t fired them yet. 有些人还没有发射。
Can you not figure out how to do it, or something? 你不知如何射,或怎么了
It’s not that hard. Most of your kids figure out how to do this in the first 10 seconds, when they pick it up. 并不难的。大部分小孩都会射 拿到后十秒内就会了。
All right. This is pretty good; this is pretty good. 好了。很好、很好。
Okay, all right. Let’s -- I suppose we'd better... 好了。我想我们最好...
suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想:
I better clear these up out of the way otherwise I’m going to trip over them. 我最好清理一下场地 否则我会踏到它们。
All right. So the rest of you can save them for when I say something particularly boring, and then you can fire at me. 好。其他人可以留着它 如果我讲得特别无聊时, 就拿来射我。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
All right. I think I’m going to take these off now, because I can’t see a damn thing when I’ve -- all right, OK. 好了。我要把它脱下, 因为我看不到东西 - 好了,好。
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
So, ah, that was fun. 所以,啊,那真好玩。
(Laughter) (笑声)
All right, good. 好了,好。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
So, OK, so why? 所以,好,为什么?
So we have the finger blasters , other people have dinosaurs, you know. 所以我们有弹射镖,其他人有恐龙,你知道的。
blasters:n.导火线,爆裂药;爆破工;
Why do we have them? Well, as I said , we have them because we think maybe playfulness is important. 为何我们要有它?嗯,我说过, 我们有它,因为我们认为:好玩是重要的。
as I said:正如我所说的 playfulness:n.玩笑;嬉闹;
But why is it important? 但是,为什么重要?
We use it in a pretty pragmatic way, to be honest. 我们用它在实用上,老实说。
pragmatic:adj.实际的;实用主义的;国事的;
We think playfulness helps us get to better creative solutions. 我们认为:好玩帮我们找到更有创意的解答。
Helps us do our jobs better, and helps us feel better when we do them. 帮我们做得更好, 当我们做事时,帮我们感觉更好。
Now, an adult encountering a new situation -- when we encounter a new situation we have a tendency to want to categorize it just as quickly as we can, you know. 现在,大人遇到了新的情况 - 当我们遇到新情况,我们倾向 要将它尽快归类。
encountering:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的现在分词) tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好; categorize:vt.分类;
And there’s a reason for that. We want to settle on an answer. 这是有道理的。我们想找个解答。
settle on:选定;授与;停在;
Life’s complicated . We want to figure out what’s going on around us very quickly. 生活是复杂的。我们要尽快 弄清楚四周的状况。
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
I suspect , actually, that the evolutionary biologists probably have lots of reasons why we want to categorize new things very, very quickly. 我猜,实际上演化论生物学者 或许有很多理由可说明为何 我们要尽快归类事情。
suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的; evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的; biologists:n.生物学家(biologist的复数);
One of them might be, you know, when we see this funny stripey thing, is that a tiger just about to jump out and kill us? 其中一个理由也许是, 当我们看到个怪条纹的东西, 那是老虎要跳出来吃人吗?
stripey:adj.有条纹的;
Or is it just some weird shadows on the tree? 或者只是树上的一些怪影?
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
We need to figure that out pretty fast. 我们必须很快弄清楚。
Well, at least, we did once. 嗯,至少我们做过一次。
Most of us don’t need to anymore, I suppose. 我猜,我们大部分都不必再做。
This is some aluminum foil , right? You use it in the kitchen. 这是铝箔,对吧?你在厨房里用它。
aluminum:n.铝; foil:v.衬托;阻止,挡开;挫败;贴箔于;n.箔,金属薄片;衬托,烘托;叶形片;
That’s what it is, isn’t it? Of course it is, of course it is. 就是那样,不是吗?当然是的、当然是的。
Well, not necessarily . 嗯,未必吧。
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Kids are more engaged with open possibilities. 小孩更愿意接受开放的可能性。
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
Now, they’ll certainly -- when they come across something new, they’ll certainly ask, what is it? 他们将必然 - 当他们遇到新的事情, 他们将必然会问:这是什么?
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
Of course they will. But they’ll also ask, what can I do with it? 当然他们会。但他们也会问:我能用它做什么?
And you know, the more creative of them might get to a really, kind of, interesting example. 而你知道,比较有创意的小孩 将会得到真正有趣的例子。
And this openness is the beginning of exploratory play. 这种开放是探索游戏的开始。
openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真; exploratory:adj.勘探的;探究的;考察的;
Any parents of young kids in the audience? There must be some. 观众中有人有小孩吗? 一定是有的。
Yeah, thought so. So we’ve all seen it, haven’t we? 呀,想必如此。因此我们都看到了,不是吗?
We’ve all told stories about how on Christmas morning, you know, our kids end up playing with the boxes far more than they play with the toys that are inside them. 我们都说过在圣诞节早上的故事, 孩子们竟然在玩纸箱, 而不玩包在里面的玩具。
And you know, from an exploration perspective , this behavior makes complete sense. 你知道的,从探索的角度看, 这种行为是有道理的。
exploration:n.探索;勘探;探险;[医]探查术; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
Because you can do a lot more with boxes than you can do with a toy. 因为箱子可以玩的方式比玩具多得多。
Even one like, say, Tickle Me Elmo, which, despite its ingenuity , really only does one thing, whereas boxes offer an infinite number of choices. 举例而言:像?搔癢娃娃?, 它虽有原创性,却只有一个用途, 而箱子却有无限的选择。
Tickle:v.(使)发痒;逗乐;使高兴;使满足;n.痒;胳肢;呵痒;痒感; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; ingenuity:n.心灵手巧,独创性;精巧;精巧的装置; whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之; infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限;
So again, this is another one of those playful activities, that as we get older, we tend to forget and we have to relearn . 再一次,这又是一个好玩的活动, 当我们长大后,我们倾向忘记,而要重新学习。
relearn:vt.重学;再学习;
So another one of Bob McKim’s favorite exercises is called the "30 Circles Test." 因此,博布?马金的另一个喜爱的练习 叫做?30 圈测验?。
So we’re back to work. You guys are going to get back to work again. 因此我们回来工作。你们都要回来工作。
Turn that piece of paper that you did the sketch on, back over, and you’ll find those 30 circles printed on the piece of paper. 把刚才画图的纸翻过来, 背面印有 30 个圆圈。
sketch:n.素描;草图;速写;概述;v.概述;简述;画素描;画速写;
So it should look like this. You should be looking at something like this. 就是这样。你看到的就像这个。
So what I’m going to do, I’m going to give you minute, and I want you to adapt as many of those circles as you can, into objects of some form. 我要做什么呢,我要给你一分钟, 我要你尽量利用这些圆圈, 画成某些物品。
adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应;
So for example, you could turn one into a football, or another one into a sun. All I’m interested in is quantity . 例如,你可以把一个画成足球, 或另一个画成太阳。我要的是数量。
quantity:n.量;数量;大量;数额;
I want you to do as many of them as you can, in the minute that I’m just about to give you. 我要你尽可能画越多越好, 利用我将给你的一分钟。
So, everybody ready? OK? Off you go. 准备好了吗?好吗?开始。
Okay. Put down your pencils, as they say. 好了。请放下铅笔。
So, who got more than five circles figured out? 谁画超过五个?
Hopefully everybody? More than 10? 应该是每个人?超过 10 个?
Keep your hands up if you did. 10. 如果画满 10 个的,请举手。
15? 20? Anybody get all 30? 15?20?有人画满 30 个?
No? Oh! Somebody did. Fantastic . 没有?喔!有人做到了。好极了。
Fantastic:奇异的,空想的
Did anybody to a variation on a theme? Like a smiley face? 有人用同一主题去变化吗?如笑脸?
variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; smiley:n.微笑符(等于smily);adj.微笑的;引起微笑的;
Happy face? Sad face? Sleepy face? Anybody do that? 快乐脸?悲伤脸?瞌睡脸?有人吗?
Sleepy:adj.困倦的;瞌睡的;安静的;
Anybody use my examples? The sun and the football? 有人用我的例子吗?太阳、足球?
Great. Cool. So I was really interested in quantity. 很好。酷。我要的是数量。
I wasn’t actually very interested in whether they were all different. 实际上我不在意它们是否都差别很大。
I just wanted you to fill in as many circles as possible. 我只是要你们尽量使用圆圈。
And one of the things we tend to do as adults, again, is we edit things. 大人的另一个倾向,会去编辑东西。
edit:v.编辑;剪辑;编纂;编选;n.编辑[校订]工作;
We stop ourselves from doing things. 我们停住自己,不再去做。
We self-edit as we’re having ideas. 我们一有想法就自我编辑它。
And some cases. our desire to be original is actually a form of editing . 有时候,我们想要有原创性,其实是一种编辑。
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的; editing:v.编辑,校订(文章、书籍等);编选;(edit的现在分词)
And that actually isn’t necessarily really playful. 而实际上未必真的好玩。
So that ability just to, kind of, go for it and explore lots of things, even if they don’t seem that different from each other, is actually something that kids do well, and it is a form of play. 因此那种往前探索许多事物的能力, 即使它们彼此并不那么不同, 实际上小孩子做得很好,是一种游戏。
go for it:努力争取;加油; explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
So now, Bob McKim did another very -- another version of this test, in a rather famous experiment that was done in the 1960s. 因此,现在博布?马金做了另一个 - 测验的另一个版本, 一个颇有名的实验,在 1960 年代。
Anybody know what this? It’s the peyote cactus . 有人知道这是什么吗?是皮约特仙人掌。
peyote:n.佩奥特掌(仙人掌的一种); cactus:n.[园艺]仙人掌;
It’s the plant from which you can create mescaline , one of the psychedelic drugs. 用它可以制造美斯卡灵, 一种迷幻剂。
mescaline:n.[有化]墨斯卡灵(迷幻药); psychedelic:adj.引起幻觉的;n.迷幻剂;
For those of you around in the '60s you probably know it well. *60 年代的人或许知道。
McKim published a paper in 1966 describing an experiment that he and his colleagues conducted , to test the effects of psychedelic drugs on creativity. 马金在 1966 年发表了一篇论文,描述一个实验 由他和他的同事执行的, 测试迷幻药对创造力的影响。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式)
So he picked 27 professionals . They were, you know, engineers, physicists , mathematicians , architects , furniture designers even, artists. 因此他挑选了 27 名专业人士。他们是: 工程师、物理学者、数学家、建筑师、 家具设计师、还有艺术家。
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); physicists:n.物理学家;机械唯物论者(physicist的复数); mathematicians:n.[数]数学家(mathematician的复数形式); architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数); furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物;
And he asked them to come along one evening and bring a problem with them that they were working on. 他请他们某个晚上过来 带个他们正在处理的问题。
He gave each of them some mescaline, and had them listen to some nice, relaxing music for a while . 他给每个人吃一些美斯卡灵, 让他们听一下好听、轻松的音乐。
relaxing:adj.令人放松的;轻松的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(使)放心;(relax的现在分词) for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
And then he did what’s called the Purdue Creativity Test. 接着他要他们做所谓的?普度创造力测验?。
Purdue:n.普杜大学(美国一所大学);
You might know it as, how many uses can you find for a paper clip ? 也许你知道,就是:想出回形针有多少用途?
paper clip:回形针;
It’s basically the same thing as the 30 circles thing that I just had you do. 基本上和我要你们做的 30 个圆圈一样。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Now, actually, he gave the test before the drugs, and after the drugs, to see how -- what the difference was in people’s, sort of, facility and speed with coming up with ideas. 实际上,用药前他也有做测验, 用药后也有,要比较 - 人们在产生构想的熟练度 和速度上有何不同。
facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
And then he asked them to go away and work on those problems that they’d brought. 接着他要他们离开 开始处理带来的问题。
And they’d come up with a bunch of, kind of, interesting solutions, and actually quite, kind of, valid solutions to the things that they’d been working on. 他们都产生了一大堆的 有趣解答,实际上都相当 具体的解答用在正处理的问题上。
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; valid:adj.有效的;有根据的;合法的;正当的;
And so some of the things that they figured out, some of these individuals figured out. 他们想出的一些点子, 这些受试者想出的...
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
In one case a new commercial building and design for houses that were accepted by clients . 如:新的商业大楼和住屋设计 被客户接受了。
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数)
A design of a solar space probe experiment. 太阳的太空探测实验设计。
space probe:na.航天探测器;
A redesign of the linear electron accelerator , an engineering improvement to a magnetic tape recorder . 线性电子加速器的再设计、 录音磁带的工程改进。
redesign:vt.重新设计;n.重新设计;新设计; linear:adj.线的,线型的;直线的,线状的;长度的; electron:n.电子; accelerator:n.油门;催化剂;[机]加速装置; engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) improvement:n.改进,改善; magnetic:adj.像磁铁的;有磁性的;磁的;富有吸引力的; tape recorder:n.录音机;
You can tell this is a while ago. - 这是好几年前的事。
The completion of a line of furniture, and even a new conceptual model of the photon . 完成家具产品线, 甚至光子的新概念模型。
completion:n.完成,结束;实现; conceptual:adj.概念上的; photon:n.[物]光子;辐射量子;见光度(等于lightquantum);
So it was a pretty successful evening. 因此,这是个蛮成功的夜晚。
In fact, maybe this experiment was the reason that Silicon Valley got off to its great start with innovation . 也许这个实验是硅谷为什么 在创新上能有那么大的突破。
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地); innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
We don’t know, but it may be. 我们未得而知,但有可能的。
We need to ask some of the CEOs whether they were involved in this mescaline experiment. 我们要问几位执行长 他们是否参加了这个美斯卡灵实验。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
But really, it wasn’t the drugs that were important, it was this idea that what the drugs did would help shock people out of their normal way of thinking. 真的,重要的不是药, 而是实验的发现: 药可以帮人跳出平常的思维方式。
And getting them to, kind of, forget the adult behaviors that were getting in the way of their ideas. 让人忘记大人的行为 这些行为有碍创意。
in the way of:妨碍;关于…方面;
But it’s hard to break our habits, our adult habits. 但是很难改变习惯,我们的大人习惯。
At IDEO we have brainstorming rules written on the walls. 在 IDEO,我们把脑力激荡规则写在墙上。
brainstorming:n.集思广益;v.集中各人智慧猛攻;(brainstorm的现在分词)
Edicts like, " Defer judgment," or "Go for quantity." 昭告如下:?延后判断?,或?追求数量?。
Edicts:n.法令;布告; Defer:vi.推迟;延期;服从;vt.使推迟;使延期;
And somehow that seems wrong. 好像这样也不对。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
I mean, can you have rules about creativity? 我是说,创造力可以有规则吗?
Well, it sort of turns out that we need rules to help us break the old rules and norms that otherwise we might bring to the creative process . 好像我们需要规则 来帮我们打破旧规则及常态 否则我们又把它放到创造过程里。
norms:n.[标准]标准,规范;基准(norm复数形式); process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
And we’ve certainly learnt that over time, you get much better brainstorming, much more creative outcomes when everybody does play by the rules. 当然长时来我们已学会它, 可以有较好的脑力激荡, 有更具创意的产出,只要大家遵守规则。
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
Now, of course, many designers, many individual designers, achieve this is in a much more organic way. 当然,许多设计师、个人设计师, 以更有机的方式达成这个。
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体;
I think the Eames are wonderful examples of experimentation . 我认为,伊姆斯夫妇是实验的最佳实例。
experimentation:n.实验;试验;
And they experimented with plywood for many years without necessarily having one single goal in mind. 他们多年实验各种合板 未必心中先有单一目标。
plywood:n.夹板,胶合板;
They were exploring following what was interesting to them. 他们循着他们的兴趣探索。
exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词)
And they went from designing splints for wounded soldiers coming out of World War II and the Korean War, I think. 他们当初是要设计伤兵的断骨夹板 我想,是为二战及韩战的伤兵。
splints:n.[医]夹板(splint的复数); v.用夹板固定(splint的第三人称单数形式); wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式) Korean:n.朝鲜族;韩国人;朝鲜话;adj.朝鲜的;朝鲜族的;朝鲜话的;
And from this experiment they moved on to chairs. 从这个实验,他们进展到各种椅子。
And through constant experimentation with materials, developed a wide range of iconic solutions that we know today, and eventually resulting in, of course, the legendary lounge chair. 经由不断的材料实验, 发展了广范围的经典解答 现在我们都知道,后来导致 那个传奇的靠椅。
iconic:adj.图标的,形象的; eventually:adv.最后,终于; legendary:adj.传说的,传奇的;n.传说集;圣徒传; lounge:n.休息室;闲逛;躺椅;(英)酒吧间;vi.闲逛;懒洋洋地躺卧;闲混;vt.虚度光阴;
Now, if the Eames had stopped with that first great solution , then we wouldn’t be the beneficiaries of so many, you know, wonderful designs today. 如果伊姆斯停止在那个伟大的解答, 我们受益的将没有那么多 今日的绝佳设计。
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; beneficiaries:n.[金融]受益人(beneficiary的复数形式);
And of course, they used experimentation in all aspects of their work. 当然,他们把实验用在工作的所有面向。
aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
From films to buildings, from games to graphics . 从影片到建筑、从游戏到图文。
graphics:n.[测]制图学;制图法;图表算法;
So they’re great examples, I think, of exploration and experimentation in design. 因此我想,他们是绝佳的设计探索 和实验的范例。
Now, while the Eames were exploring those possibilities, they were also exploring physical objects. 当伊姆斯探索各种可能时, 他们也探索实体物品。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
And they were doing that through building prototypes . 经由建造模型来做。
prototypes:n.原型;技术原型;雏型;
And building is the next of the behaviors that I thought I’d talk about. ?建造?是我要谈的另一个行为。
So the average Western first-grader spends as much as 50 percent of their play time taking part in what’s called " construction play." 平均的西方小一学生 花游戏时间的一半之多 做所谓的「建构游戏」。
construction:n.建设;建筑物;解释;造句;
Construction play -- it’s playful, obviously, but also a powerful way to learn. 建构游戏 - 显然很好玩, 也是有力的学习方法。
When play is about building a tower out of blocks, the kid begins to learn a lot about towers. 当玩用积木建造一个塔, 小孩开始学许多有关塔的事。
And as they repeatedly knock it down and start again, learning is happening as a sort of by-product of play. 当他们不断地拆了又建, 学习就以游戏的副产品发生着。
repeatedly:adv.反复地;再三地;屡次地; by-product:n.副产品;附带产生的结果;意外收获;
It’s classically learning by doing. 这是古典的「做中学」。
classically:adv.拟古地;古典主义地;
Now, David Kelley calls this behavior, when it’s carried out by designers, "thinking with your hands." 大卫?剀利叫这种行为, 当由设计师做时:「用手思考」。
And it typically involves making multiple , low-resolution prototypes very quickly. 它基本上包含快速地 制作多次草模。
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地; involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; low-resolution:低分辨率;
You know, often by bringing lots of found elements together in order to get to a solution. 如,往往是组合找到的东西 以得到解答。
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
One of his earliest projects, the team was kind of stuck, and they came up with a mechanism by hacking together a prototype made from a roll on deodorant . 最早期的一个项目,小组卡住了, 后来得到的机构是拼组了 除臭剂的滚球而成的模型。
mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; hacking:v.黑客行为;砍;劈;猛踢;(hack的现在分词) deodorant:adj.除臭的;防臭的;n.除臭剂;
Now, that became the first commercial computer mouse for the Apple Lisa and the Macintosh . 而成为第一款上市计算机鼠标 用在苹果丽莎和麦金塔。
Macintosh:n.苹果公司生产的一种型号的计算机;
So they kind of learned their way to that by building prototypes. 因此他们以建造模型找到那个解答。
Another example is a group of designers who were working on a surgical instrument with some surgeons . 另个例子是有一群设计师 和外科医师讨论手术器具设计
surgical:adj.外科的;外科手术的; instrument:n.仪器;工具;乐器;手段;器械; surgeons:n.外科医生;(surgeon的复数)
They were meeting with them, they were talking to the surgeons about what it was they needed with this device . 他们开会,他们和外科医师谈 问他们需要这个器具做什么。
device:n.装置;策略;图案;
And one of the designers ran out of the room and grabbed a white board marker and a film canister -- which is now becoming a very precious prototyping medium -- and a clothes pin. Taped them all together, ran back into the room and said, you mean something like this? 其中一个设计师跑出房间 抓了一支白板笔和一个底片盒 - 它们变成很有用的模型道具 - 加上晒衣夹。用胶带捆起来, 跑回房间说:你是说像这个?
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式) marker:n.记分员;书签;标识物;作记号的人; canister:n.筒;(放咖啡,茶叶,烟等的)小罐;防毒面具的滤毒罐; precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的; prototyping:n.[计]样机研究;原型设计; medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
And the surgeons grabbed hold of it and said, well, I want to hold it like this, or like that. 外科医师抓住把手,说: 我要像这样或那样握它。
And all of a sudden a productive conversation was happening about design around a tangible object. 突然间,建设性的对话开始 绕着实际的物品讨论设计。
all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地; productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的; tangible:adj.有形的;切实的;可触摸的;n.有形资产;
And in the end it turned into a real device. 最后产生了真实的器具。
And so this behavior is all about quickly getting something into the real world, and having your thinking advanced as a result . 所以这个行为是为了快速放东西 到真实世界,以便思考也跟着前进。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) as a result:结果;
At IDEO there’s a kind of a back-to-preschool feel sometimes about the environment. 在 IDEO 有点像回到学前的感觉, 关于它的环境。
The prototyping carts filled with colored paper and play dough and glue sticks and stuff . 塞满色纸做购物车的模型 玩面团、黏棒子及其他东西。
carts:n.运货马车; v.用马车运送; (cart的第三人称单数和复数) dough:n.生面团;金钱; glue:n.胶;胶水;v.粘贴; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
I mean, they do have a bit of a kindergarten feel to them. 他们真的有点像是在幼儿园的感觉。
kindergarten:n.幼儿园;
But the important idea is, everything’s to hand. Everything’s around. 但最重要的概念是,事事物物都在周边、顺手可得。
So when designers are working on ideas they can start building stuff, kind of, whenever they want. 因此当设计师在找构想时 他们任何时候都能开始建造东西。
They don’t necessarily even have to go into some kind of formal workshop to do it. 他们未必需要去 某个正式的工场去做它。
formal:adj.适合正式场合的; n.(美)须穿礼服的社交集会; (口)夜礼服; workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习;
And we think that’s pretty important. 我们认为这是很重要的。
And then the sad thing is, although preschools are full of this kind of stuff, as kids go through the school system it all gets taken away. 悲哀的是,学龄前儿童虽然 充满这些东西,一旦儿童进入学校系统 这些都不见了。
preschools:adj.未满学龄的;就学前的,入学前的;n.幼儿园,育幼院;
They lose this stuff that kind of facilitates this sort of playful, and building mode of thinking. 他们失去这些物品,这些能促成 好玩的、建造模式的思考。
facilitates:v.促进;帮助;使…容易(facilitate的第三人称单数形式);
And of course, by the time you get to the average workplace, maybe the best construction tool we have might be the Post-it notes. It’s pretty barren . 当然,当你到达一般工作场合时, 我们能有的最佳建造工具 或许就是便利贴了。蛮寒酸的。
Post-it:报事贴(3M公司注册商标); barren:n.不毛之地;adj.贫瘠的;不毛的;不结果实的;不育的;
But giving project teams and their clients who they’re working with permission to think with their hands, quite complex ideas can spring into life and go right through to execution much more easily. 但如能让专案小组及一起工作的客户 允许他们用手去思考, 极复杂的构想就会油然而生 并能更方便地加以执行。
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; execution:n.执行,实行;完成;死刑;
This is a nurse using a very simple -- as you can see -- plasticine prototype, explaining what she wants out of a portable information system to a team of technologists and designers that are working with her in a hospital. 这位护士用很简单的 - 你看得出 - 油土模型, 说明她要用手持信息系统做什么 给技术人员及设计师小组听 他们正一起在医院合作。
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; plasticine:n.橡皮泥;塑像用粘土; portable:adj.便携式的;手提的;轻便的;n.便携机;(尤指)手提电脑; technologists:n.技术人员(technologist的复数);[劳经]技术专家;
And just having this very simple prototype allows her to talk about what she wants in a much more powerful way. 只用这个简单的模型 让她有力地表达她想要的东西。
And of course, by building quick prototypes, you know, we can get out and test our ideas with consumers and users much more quickly than if we’re trying to describe them through words. 当然,建造快速模型可以 让我们更快速提出构想, 并和顾客及使用者测试它, 比只是用口头描述好多了。
consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数) describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
But what about designing something that isn’t physical? 但如果要设计非实体的事物呢?
Something like a service or an experience? 像是服务或体验?
Something which exists as a series of interactions over time? 时间上的一系列互动之类的?
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数)
Instead of building play, this can be approached with role play. 不是建造游戏,这时要用角色扮演。
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式)
So if you’re designing an interaction between two people such as, I don’t know, ordering food at a fast food joint or something, you need to be able to imagine how that experience might feel over a period of time. 如果你要设计两个人之间的互动 例如,在快餐店点餐 或什么的,你要能想象 那个时间历程上经验的感觉。
fast food:adj.供应快餐的;n.快餐食品; joint:n.关节; adj.共同的; v.连接,贴合;
And I think the best way to achieve that, and get a feeling for any flaws in your design, is to act it out. 我想,最好的达成方式 并感受设计缺点,就是扮演一下。
flaws:n.[材]缺陷;[力]裂缝(flaw的复数);v.有裂纹;使有裂缝(flaw的单三形式);
So we do quite a lot of work at IDEO trying to convince our clients of this. 在 IDEO 我们花佷多工夫 说服我们的客户采用它。
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
They can be a little skeptical , I’ll come back to that. 他们有点怀疑,等下我再说。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的;
But a place, I think, where the effort is really worthwhile is where people are wrestling with quite serious problems. 但我认为,有个值得努力的地方 是在人们致力的严肃问题上。
worthwhile:adj.值得做的,值得花时间的; wrestling:n.摔跤运动;v.摔跤;奋力对付;全力解决;(wrestle的现在分词)
Things like education or security or finance or health. 例如教育、保险、财务、或医疗。
finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
And this is another example in a health care environment of some doctors and some nurses and designers acting out a service scenario around patient care. 这是另一个医疗环境的例子 医生、护士、及设计师们 扮演着病患照顾的服务情境。
health care:n.卫生保健; scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本; patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者;
But you know, many adults are pretty reluctant to engage with role play. 但是你知道,许多大人 很不愿参与角色扮演。
reluctant:adj.不情愿的;勉强的;顽抗的;
Some of it’s embarrassment and some of it is because they just don’t believe that what emerges is necessarily valid. 有的怕难为情,有的则是因为 他们就是不相信,这样得到的会是有效的。
emerges:vi.浮现;摆脱;暴露;
They dismiss an interesting interaction by saying, you know, that’s just happening because they’re acting it out. 他们推辞有趣的互动,说: 它的发生是因为有人这样演出。
dismiss:v.不予考虑;摒弃;消除;解雇;
Research into kid’s behavior actually suggests that it’s worth taking role playing seriously. 研究儿童行为则实际指出 角色扮演值得认真看待。
Because when children play a role they actually follow social scripts quite closely that they’ve learnt from us as adults. 因为当儿童扮演一个角色时 他们真的蛮密切地跟着社会剧本 那是从大人那里学来的。
scripts:n.原稿,手稿(script的复数形式);
If one kid plays store, and another one’s playing house, then the whole kind of play falls down. 如果有个小孩扮商店,另一个扮房子, 则整个游戏就垮了。
So they get used to , quite quickly, to understanding the rules for social interactions, and are actually quite quick to point out when they’re broken. 因此他们习惯于很快地 了解社会互动的规则, 实际上也很快能指出规则的违反。
get used to:开始习惯于
So when, as adults, we role play, then we have a huge set of these scripts already internalized . 因此,当大人扮演角色时, 我们有一大堆已经内化的剧本。
internalized:v.内在化(internalize的过去分词);
We’ve gone through lots of experiences in life. 在生活中我们已有许多经验。
And they provide a strong intuition as to whether an interaction is going to work. 而它们提供很强的直觉 去得知某项互动是否可行。
intuition:n.直觉;直觉力;直觉的知识;
So we’re very good when acting out a solution, at spotting whether something lacks authenticity . 因此我们很拿手于演出一个解答, 去指出某事是否缺乏真实感。
authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性;
So role play is actually, I think, quite valuable when it comes to thinking about experiences. 因此,我认为角色扮演是 很有价值的,可用在思考各种体验。
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品;
Another way for us, as designers, to explore role play is to put ourselves through an experience which we’re designing for, and kind of project ourselves into an experience. 另一个提供设计师探讨角色扮演的方式 是亲自去经历要设计的事情, 就是把自己投入那项经验。
So here are some designers who are trying to understand what it might feel like to sleep in a, kind of, confined space on an airplane . 这里有几位设计师试着要了解 睡在飞机上狭窄空间 的感觉是如何。
confined:adj.狭窄的; v.限制(confine的过去式和过去分词); airplane:n.飞机;
And so they grab some very simple materials, you can see. 因此他们取用非常简单的材料,你看。
And did this kind of role play, this kind of very crude role play, just to get a sense of what it would be like for passengers if they were stuck in quite small places on airplanes . 而去做这样的角色扮演,这种很粗糙的角色扮演, 只想理解一下旅客会有的感觉 如果旅客被塞在机上的小小空间。
crude:adj.粗略的;简略的;大概的;粗糙的;n.原油;石油; airplanes:n.(美)[航]飞机(airplane的复数);
This is one of our designers, Kristian Simsarian, and he’s putting himself through the experience of being an ER patient. 这是我们的一位设计师克力仙?西姆萨连, 他自己经历在急诊室当病患的体验。
Now, this is a real hospital, in a real emergency room . 这可是真的医院,在真的急诊室。
emergency room:n.急诊室;
One of the reasons he chose to take this rather large video camera with him, because he didn’t want the doctors and nurses thinking he was actually sick and sticking something into him that he was going to regret later. 为何他选择要带着 这个颇大的录像机? 因为他不想被医生或护士认为 他是真的有病,而跟他打什么针 这会令他后悔。
video camera:n.摄像机;
So anyhow, he went there with his video camera, and it’s kind of interesting to see what he brought back. 总之,他带着录像机去了那里, 有趣的是看他带回的东西。
Because when we looked at the video when he got back, we saw 20 minutes of this. 因为当他回来时,我们看了他的录像, 我们看了 20 分钟的这个。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And also the amazing thing about this video, as soon as you see it you kind of immediately project yourself into that experience. 还有,这个录像的神奇之处是, 只要你看它,你就立刻好像 自己投入那个体验。
as soon as:一…就;
And know what it feels like, all of that uncertainty while you’re left out in the hallway while the docs are dealing with some more urgent case in one of the emergency rooms, wondering what the heck’s going on. 而知道那种感觉,那种不确定感 当你被留置在走廊 而医师们忙着其他更急的事 去了另一间急诊病房,你不解到底是怎么了。
uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠; docs:n.说明文件;文献; urgent:adj.紧急的;急迫的;
And so this notion of using role play, or in this case, kind of living through the experience as a way of creating empathy , particularly when you use video, is really powerful. 因此使用角色扮演的这个概念, 这个例子里,就是去经历那个经验 是一种创造同感的方式, 尤其当你使用录像,是佷有力的。
notion:n.观念;信念;理解; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
Or another one of our designers, Altay Sendil, he’s here having his chest waxed , not because he’s very vain , although actually he is. No, I’m kidding. 另一位我们的设计师阿尔泰?仙迪尔, 他来做胸部除毛 ,并不是为了爱虚荣, 虽然他实际是的。不,我开玩笑。
waxed:v.给…打蜡;用蜡除去…上的毛;(wax的过去分词和过去式) vain:adj.徒劳的;自负的;无结果的;无用的;
But in order to empathize with the pain that chronic care patients go through when they’re having dressings removed. 而是为了感同慢性病人的痛苦 去经历他们移除敷料贴片的感觉。
empathize:vt.移情;神会; chronic:adj.慢性的;长期的;习惯性的; patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) dressings:n.敷料剂;调味品(dressing的复数形式);
And so sometimes these analogous experiences, kind of analogous role play, can also be quite valuable. 因此有时这些模拟的经验, 即模拟的角色扮演,也可以很有用。
analogous:adj.类似的;[昆]同功的;可比拟的;
So when a kid dresses up as a firefighter , you know, he’s beginning to try on that identity . 当小孩穿上消防装, 他开始尝试那个身分。
firefighter:n.消防队员; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
He wants to know what it feels like to be a firefighter. 他要知道当消防员的感觉。
We’re doing the same thing as designers. 身为设计师我们做相同的事。
We’re trying on these experiences. 我们尝试这些体验。
And so the idea of role play is both as an empathy tool, as well as a tool for prototyping experiences. 因此角色扮演的想法不但是感同的工具, 也是型塑体验的工具。
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
And you know, we kind of admire people who do this at IDEO anyway. 我们很羡慕在 IDEO 有人去做这个。
Not just because they lead to insights about the experience, but also because of their willingness to explore and their ability to, kind of, unselfconsciously surrender themselves to the experience. 不只因为他们带来体验的洞见, 也因为他们愿意去探索 以及他们有能力在无意识中 忘我地去体验。
insights:n.洞察力;眼力;深刻见解(insight的复数); willingness:n.乐意;心甘情愿;自动自发; unselfconsciously:adv.unselfconscious的变形adj.不自觉的;本能的;自然的,自发的; surrender:v.投降;(被迫)放弃,交出;n.投降;屈服;屈从;放弃,交出
In short, we admire their willingness to play. 简言之,我们羡慕他们愿意去扮演。
So playful exploration, playful building and role play. 因此,好玩的探索、好玩的建造、及角色扮演。
And those are some of the ways that designers use play in their work. 这些都是设计师工作中用的方法。
And so far, I kind of admit, that this might feel like it’s a message just to go out and play like a kid. 至此,我承认这好像是 叫你们像个小孩那样去玩。
And to certain extent it is, but I want to stress a couple of points. 某个程度上是的,但我要强调几点。
extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
The first thing to remember is that play is not anarchy . 首先记住游戏不是乱无章法的。
anarchy:n.无政府状态;混乱;无秩序;
Play has rules, especially when it’s group play. 游戏有规则,尤其是团体游戏。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
When kids play tea party , or they play cops and robbers , they’re following a script that they’ve agreed to. 当孩子玩茶会、或玩警察抓小偷, 他们依着彼此同意的剧本。
tea party:n.茶话会;(下午)茶会;在美国各地抗议高额税收; cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数) robbers:n.强盗;盗贼;抢劫犯;(robber的复数)
And it’s this code negotiation that leads to productive play. 是这个守则协商带来有产出的游戏。
negotiation:n.谈判;转让;顺利的通过;
So remember the sketching task we did at the beginning ? 记得一开始的画图任务吗
sketching:v.画素描;画速写;概述;简述;(sketch的现在分词) at the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始;
The kind of little face, the portrait you did? 你画的那个小脸、画像?
portrait:n.肖像;描写;半身雕塑像;
Well, imagine if you did the same task with friends while you were drinking in a pub. 想想如果你和朋友做这个 一边在酒廊里喝酒。
But everybody agreed to play a game where the worst sketch artist bought the next round of drinks. 大家同意玩个游戏 画得最差的要付下一巡酒钱。
That framework of rules would have turned an embarrassing , difficult situation, into a kind of a fun game. 这个规则将使难为情、 窘境成为有趣的游戏。
embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词)
And as a result, you know, we’d all feel perfectly secure and have a good time -- but because we all understood the rules and we agreed on them together. 结果呢,我们将有安全感,过得很愉快 - 因为我们都了解规则,我们一起同意它。
have a good time:过得愉快,玩得高兴
But there aren’t just rules about how to play, there are rules about when to play. 但是,不只有「如何玩」的规则, 也有「何时玩」的规则。
Kids don’t play all the time, obviously. 显然,孩子们不是一直在玩。
They transition in and out of it. 他们进入及退出游戏。
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
And teachers, you know, good teachers spend a lot of time thinking about how to move kids through these experiences. 而好的老师要花许多时间 思考如何带孩子走过这些经验。
And as designers, we need to be able to transition in and out of play also. 身为设计师,我们也要能进入及退出游戏。
And if we’re running design studios we need to be able to figure out, how can we transition designers through these different experiences? 如果我们经营设计公司 我们要让设计师, 如何进出这些不同的体验?
I think this is particularly true if we think about the, sort of… 尤其是当我们思考...
I think what’s very different about design is that we go through these two very distinctive modes of operation. 设计上有很大差别的是 我们经历两种很独特的操作模式。
distinctive:adj.独特的;特别的;有特色的; modes:n.模式(mode的复数形式);方法;分辨率;
We go through a sort of generative mode, where we’re exploring many ideas. 我们经历产出模式, 此时我们探索创意。
generative:adj.生殖的;生产的;有生殖力的;有生产力的;
And then we, kind of, come back together again, and come back looking for that sort of solution, and developing that solution. 接着,我们又回来, 回来寻找解答, 并发展那个解答。
I think they’re two quite different modes. 我认为两者是极不同的模式。
Divergence and convergence . 发散及收敛。
Divergence:n.分歧; convergence:n.[数]收敛;会聚,集合;
And I think it’s probably in the divergent mode that we most need playfulness. 或许是在发散模式中 我们最需要「好玩」。
divergent:adj.相异的,分歧的;散开的;
Perhaps in convergent mode we need to be more serious. 或许在收敛模式中,我们要严肃一点。
convergent:adj.[数]收敛的;会聚性的;趋集于一点的;
And so being able to move between those modes is really quite important. So it’s where there’s a, kind of, more nuanced version view of play, I think, is required. 因此能够在这两个模式间移动 真的很重要。因此 有个更细致的游戏观,我想是需要的。
nuanced:adj.微妙的; v.精确细腻地表演;
Because it’s very easy to fall into the trap that these states are absolute. 因为很容易掉入陷阱,以为这两种状态是绝对的。
trap:v.使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;收集;吸收;n.陷阱;圈套;捕捉器;诡计;
You’re either playful, or you’re serious, and you can’t be both. 要不是好玩,就是严肃,不能两者都有。
But that’s not really true. You can be a serious professional adult, and, at times, be playful. 但不是那样。你可以是严肃的专业人士, 有时却是好玩的。
It’s not an either/or, it’s an and. 那不是二择一,而是兼有。
You can be serious and play. 你可以严肃又好玩。
So to kind of sum it up , we need trust to play, and we need trust to be creative, so there’s a connection. 总结一下,我们需要信赖感才敢玩, 需要信赖感才有创意,这有关联。
sum it up:概括起来;
And there are a series of behaviors that we’ve learnt as kids, and that turn out to be quite useful to us as designers. 有一系列的行为我们在儿童时学到 那对设计师很有用。
They include exploration, which is about going for quantity. 它们包含探索,即追求数量。
Building and thinking with their hands. 建造及用手思考。
And role play, where acting it out helps us both have more empathy for the situations in which we’re designing, and to create services and experiences that are seamless and authentic. 及角色扮演,演出可帮助我们对 我们的设计情境更同感, 及创立服务和体验, 使它顺畅无缝、真实可靠。
seamless:adj.无缝的;无缝合线的;无伤痕的;
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家。