|
|
ThomasAbt_2020P-_暴力何以会在城市中聚集和如何减少暴力_-
|
You are a trauma surgeon , working in the midnight shift in an inner city emergency room . |
您是一个外科医生, 在市区内急诊室值夜班。 |
A young man is wheeled in before you, lying unconscious on a gurney . |
一个年轻人在您面前被推了进来, 躺在床上昏迷不醒。 |
He's been shot in the leg and is bleeding profusely . |
他的腿被子弹击中,大量出血。 |
Judging from the entry and exit wounds , as well as the amount of hemorrhaging , the bullet most likely clipped the femoral artery , one of the largest blood vessels in the body. |
从进出伤口以及出血量来看, 子弹很可能削过了股动脉, 人体最大的血管之一。 |
trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤; surgeon:n.外科医生; shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; inner city:n.(居民拥挤,住屋破旧的)市中心平民区;adj.市中心的; emergency room:n.急诊室; unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的; gurney:n.(医院用来移动病人的)轮床; bleeding:n.出血;渗色;adj.流血的;同情的;v.出血;渗出;(bleed的现在分词) profusely:adv.丰富地; wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数) as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; hemorrhaging:n.出血,溢血;v.大出血;损失;(hemorrhage的现在分词) bullet:n.子弹;只选某党全部候选人的投票;豆子;vi.射出;迅速行进; clipped:adj.省略一部分的;发音清楚的;v.剪除(clip的过去分词); femoral:adj.股骨的;大腿的;大腿骨的; artery:n.动脉;干道;主流; vessels:n.血管(vessel的复数);船舶;容器;
|
As the young man's doctor, what should you do? |
作为年轻人的医生,您该怎么办? |
Or more precisely, what should you do first? |
更确切地说,您首先应该做什么? |
You look at the young man's clothes, which seem old and worn. |
您看一下年轻人的衣服, 这些衣服看起来已经旧了。 |
He may be jobless , homeless, lacking a decent education. |
他可能失業,无家可归, 缺乏体面的教育。 |
Do you start treatment by finding him a job, getting him an apartment or helping him earn his GED? |
您是从替他找个工作开始治疗吗? 给他找一个公寓, 还是幫他从高中毕業? |
On the other hand , this young man has been involved in some sort of conflict and may be dangerous. |
另一方面, 这个年轻人卷入了某种冲突, 可能很危险。 |
jobless:adj.失业的,无业的;(关于)失业者的;n.失业者; decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的; treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; On the other hand:另一方面; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
|
Before he wakes up, do you place him in restraints , alert hospital security or call 911? |
在他醒来之前, 您要束缚住他、警示医院保全, 或拨打 119 了吗? |
Most of us wouldn't do any of these things. |
我们大多数人不会那样做, |
And instead, we would take the only sensible and humane course of action available at the time. |
而是会采取当时唯一合理 及可行的人道行动。 |
First, we would stop the bleeding. |
首先,我们将止血。 |
restraints:n.限制,禁止(restraint的复数); alert:n.警报; adj.警觉的; v.向…报警; sensible:adj.明智的; n.可感觉到的东西; humane:adj.仁慈的,人道的;高尚的; course of action:un.球路;作战方案;行动过程;
|
Because unless we stop the bleeding, nothing else matters. |
因为除非我们停止流血, 别的都无所谓。 |
What's true in the emergency room is true for cities all around the country. |
急诊室的情况适用 于全国各地的城市。 |
When it comes to urban violence , the first priority is to save lives. |
对于城市暴力, 首要任务是挽救生命。 |
Treating that violence with the same urgency that we would treat a gunshot wound in the ER. |
我们以与急诊室中治疗枪伤 相同的紧迫性对待暴力。 |
What are we talking about when we say "urban violence"? |
我们谈及「城市暴力」时 到底在说什么? |
Urban violence is the lethal or potentially lethal violence that happens on the streets of our cities. |
城市暴力是致命或可能致命的暴力, 这发生在我们城市的街道上。 |
urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; priority:n.优先;优先权;[数]优先次序;优先考虑的事; Treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词) urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事; gunshot:n.射击;射程;炮击;adj.射击的;枪炮射击所致的; lethal:adj.致命的,致死的;n.致死因子; potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地;
|
It goes by many names: street violence, youth violence, gang violence, gun violence. |
它有很多名称: 街头暴力、青年暴力、 幫派暴力、枪支暴力。 |
Urban violence happens among the most disadvantaged and disenfranchised among us. |
城市暴力发生在 我们当中最弱势 和最被剥夺权利的人中。 |
Mostly young men, without a lot of options or much hope. |
主要是没有多少选择 或希望的年轻人。 |
I have spent hundreds of hours with these young men. |
我已经和这些年轻人 一起度过了数百个小时。 |
gang:n.一群; v.(英)去; disadvantaged:adj.贫困的; n.弱势团体; v.使处于不利地位(disadvantage的过去式和过去分词); disenfranchised:v.剥夺(某人)的权利(尤指选举权);(disenfranchise的过去分词和过去式) options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
|
I've taught them at a high school in Washington DC, where one of my students was murdered. |
我曾在华盛顿特区的 一所中学教过他们, 我的一个学生被谋杀的地方。 |
I've stood across form them in courtrooms in New York City, where I worked as a prosecutor . |
在纽约市法庭里,我站在他们的对面, 我在那里担任檢察官。 |
And finally , |
最后, |
I've gone from city to city as a policymaker and as a researcher, meeting with these young men and exchanging ideas on how to make our communities safer. |
我从一个城市到另一个城市, 以决策者和研究员的身分, 与这些年轻人见面, 就如何使我们的社区更安全交换意见。 |
courtrooms:n.法庭;审判室; prosecutor:n.检察官;公诉人;[法]起诉人;实行者; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; policymaker:na.制定政策的人; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
Why should we care about these young men? |
我们为什么要关心这些年轻人? |
Why does urban violence matter? |
为什么城市暴力切身相关? |
Urban violence matters, because it causes more deaths here in the United States than any other form of violence. |
城市暴力切身相关, 因为它在美国造成的死亡人数 远远超过任何其他形式的暴力。 |
Urban violence also matters because we can actually do something about it. |
城市暴力切身相关 是因为实际上我们可以做些什么。 |
Controlling it is not the impossible, intractable challenge that many believe it to be. |
控制它并非不可能的、棘手的挑战, 尽管许多人认为是这样。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) intractable:adj.棘手的;难治的;倔强的;不听话的;
|
In fact, there are a number of solutions available today that are proven to work. |
实际上今天有许多解决方案可用, 证明有效的方案。 |
And what these solutions have in common is one key ingredient . |
这些解决方案的共同点 是个关键的要素。 |
They all recognize that urban violence is sticky , meaning that it clusters together among a surprisingly small number of people and places. |
他们全都认识到 城市暴力紧紧黏在一起, 意思是出乎意料地 聚集在少数人和少数地方。 |
In New Orleans , for instance , a network of fewer than 700 individuals accounts for the majority of the city's lethal violence. |
例如,在新奥尔良, 少于 700 个人的关系网 占该市致命暴力的大部分。 |
ingredient:n.原料;要素;组成部分;adj.构成组成部分的; recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; sticky:adj.粘的;粘性的; clusters:n.[植]簇;丛(cluster的复数形式);[计]群集; surprisingly:adv.令人惊讶地;出乎意料地 Orleans:n.奥尔良(法国城市); instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
|
Some call these individuals "hot people." |
有人称这些人为「热门人物」。 |
Here in Boston , 70 percent of shootings are concentrated on blocks and corners covering just five percent of the city. |
在波士顿这里, 70% 的枪击事件 集中在仅占城市 5% 的街区和角落。 |
These locations are often known as "hot spots." |
这些位置通常被称为「热点」。 |
In city after city, a small number of hot people and hot spots account for the clear majority of lethal violence. |
在一个又一个城市中, 少数热门人物和热点 造成绝大部分的致命暴力。 |
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市); concentrated:adj.决心要做的; v.集中(注意力); (concentrate的过去式和过去分词) locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数) account for:对…负有责任;对…做出解释;说明…的原因;导致;(比例)占;
|
In fact, this finding has been replicated so many times that researchers now call this phenomenon the law of crime concentration . |
实际上,此一现象一而再再而三发生, 研究人员将它称为「犯罪集中法则」。 |
When we look at the science, we see that sticky solutions work best. |
研究科学时,我们发现 粘性解决方案最有效。 |
To put it bluntly , you can't stop shootings if you won't deal with shooters . |
简单来说, 不与开枪的人打交道 就无法停止射击。 |
And you can't stop killings if you won't go where people get killed. |
不去人们被杀的地方, 就无法停止杀戮。 |
replicated:重复的; phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物); concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; bluntly:adv.坦率地,直率地;迟钝地; shooters:n.射手;射击武器;枪;(shooter的复数)
|
Four years ago, my colleagues and I performed a systematic metareview of antiviolence strategies , summarizing the results of over 1,400 individual impact evaluations . |
四年前, 我和同事做了系统性的审查 反暴力策略, 总结了 1400 多项 单独影响评估的结果。 |
What we found, again and again , was that the strategies that were the most focused, the most targeted, the stickiest strategies, were the most successful. |
我们一次又一次发现 是最集中、最有针对性的策略, 最粘的解决方案最为成功。 |
We saw this in criminology , in studies of policing, gang prevention and reentry . |
我们在犯罪学中看到了这一点, 在警务、幫派预防 和重返社会方面的研究中, |
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式) systematic:adj.系统的;体系的;有系统的;[图情]分类的;一贯的,惯常的; strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数) summarizing:v.汇总(summarize的ing形式); impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; evaluations:n.[审计]评估(evaluation的复数); again and again:adv.再三地,反复地; stickiest:粘的;粘性的(sticky的最高级); criminology:n.犯罪学;刑事学; prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍; reentry:n.[航]再入;再进;
|
But we also saw this in public health, where targeted tertiary and secondary prevention performed better than more generalized primary prevention. |
也在公共卫生中看到了这一点, 比如,针对性的三级和二级预防 比更广泛的一级预防要好。 |
When policymakers focus on the most dangerous people and places, they get better results. |
当决策者关注 最危险的人和地方时, 会得到更好的结果。 |
What about replacement and displacement , you might ask. |
您可能会问,替代和换地点呢? |
Research shows that when drug dealers are locked up, new dealers step right in, replacing those that came before. |
研究表明,把毒贩关起来, 新的毒贩立即介入,取代之前的。 |
tertiary:n.第三纪;第三修道会会员;第三级教士;adj.第三的;第三位的;三代的; secondary:adj.第二的;中等的;次要的;中级的;n.副手;代理人; generalized:adj.广义的,普遍的; v.推广(generalize的过去分词); policymakers:n.决策人;(policymaker的复数) replacement:n.替换;更换;替代品;接替者; displacement:n.取代,位移;[船]排水量;
|
Some worry that when police focus on certain locations, crime will be displaced , moving down the street or around the corner. |
有些人担心倘若警察专注于某些地点, 犯罪将会散至别处, 向街的另一头或拐角处移动。 |
Fortunately , we know now that because of the stickiness phenomenon, the replacement and displacement effects associated with these sticky strategies are minimal . |
幸运的是我们现在知道粘性现象, 与这些粘性策略相关的 代替和换地点效果最小。 |
It takes a lifetime of trauma to create a shooter and decades of disinvestment to create a hot spot. |
需要一生的戕害来养成枪手, 以及数十年的不投资来造成热点。 |
displaced:v.取代;替代;置换;迫使(某人)离开家园;转移;(displace的过去式和过去分词) Fortunately:adv.幸运地; stickiness:n.粘性;胶粘; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) minimal:adj.最低的;最小限度的; disinvestment:n.减资;停资;撤资;
|
So these people and places don't move around easily. |
因此,这些人和地方很难移动。 |
What about root causes? |
根本原因如何? |
Isn't addressing poverty or inequality or lack of opportunity the best way to prevent violence? |
解决贫穷,不平等或缺乏机会 不是预防暴力的最佳方法吗? |
Well, according to the science, yes and no. |
好吧,根据科学 是与不是。 |
move around:v.走来走去;绕着…来回转; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; according to:根据,据说;
|
Yes, in that high rates of violence are clearly associated with various forms of social and economic disadvantage. |
是的,高暴力率 显然与各种形式的 社会和经济劣势相关。 |
But no, in that changes in these factors do not necessarily result in changes in violence, especially not in the short run. |
但是,这些因素的变化 不一定会导致暴力变化, 特别是短期内不会。 |
Take poverty, for instance. |
以贫穷为例。 |
Meaningful progress on poverty will take decades to achieve, while poor people need and deserve relief from violence right now. |
要在贫穷方面取得有意义的进展 需要数十年的时间, 而穷人眼前就需要 且应该得到暴力的救济。 |
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; Meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的; deserve:vi.应受,应得; relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕;
|
Root causes also can't explain the stickiness phenomenon. |
根本原因也无法解释粘性现象。 |
If poverty always drove violence, then we would expect to see violence among all poor people. |
如果贫穷总是驱使暴力, 那么我们应该看到 所有穷人之间发生暴力。 |
But we don't see that. |
但是我们看不到。 |
Instead, we can empirically observe that poverty concentrates , crime concentrates further still and violence concentrates most of all. |
相反,我们可以凭经验观察到 犯罪更进一步集中, 暴力最为集中(范围最小)。 |
That is why sticky solutions work. |
这就是粘性解决方案起作用的原因。 |
They work, because they deal with first things first . |
之所以起作用是因为 先处理当务之急。 |
And this is important, because while poverty may lead to violence, strong evidence shows that violence actually perpetuates poverty. |
这很重要, 因为虽然贫穷有可能导致暴力, 有力的证据表明, 实际上是暴力使贫穷永久存在。 |
empirically:adv.以经验为主地; observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视; concentrates:n.[矿业]精矿;浓缩液(concentrate的复数);[物]浓缩物; first things first:要紧的事情先做;英语初阶;凡事有轻重缓急; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; perpetuates:vt.使不朽;保持;adj.长存的;
|
Here's just one example of how. |
这里有一个例子。 |
As documented by Patrick Sharkey, a sociologist -- he showed that when poor children are exposed to violence, it traumatizes them. |
根据帕特里克·沙基教授 (Patrick Sharkey)的记录, 他是个社会学家, 他表明,贫困儿童遭受的暴力侵害 重创他们, |
It impacts their ability to sleep, to pay attention, to behave and to learn. |
影响他们睡眠的能力, 注意力、表现和学习都会被影响。 |
And if poor children can't learn, then they can't do well in school. |
如果贫穷的孩子不能学习, 他们在学校就表现不好, |
And that ultimately impacts their ability to earn a paycheck later in life that is large enough to escape poverty. |
这最终影响了他们 以后生活中赚钱的能力, 难以摆脱贫困。 |
sociologist:n.社会学家; exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式) traumatizes:vt.使…受损伤;使…受精神创伤; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用; ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; paycheck:n.工资;薪金;工资支票;
|
And unfortunately , in a series of landmark studies by economist Raj Chetty, that is exactly what we've seen. |
不幸的是, 一系列具有里程碑意义的研究 正如我们所见。 |
Poor children exposed to violence have lower income mobility than poor children who grow up peacefully . |
遭受暴力的贫困儿童 成年后很难提高收入, 逊于和平成长的贫穷孩子。 |
Violence literally traps poor kids in poverty. |
暴力实际上使贫穷的孩子 身陷贫困无法脱身。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; landmark:n.[航]陆标; adj.有重大意义或影响的; mobility:n.移动性;机动性;[电子]迁移率; peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: traps:n.陷阱,捕捉器; v.使落入险境; (trap的第三人称单数和复数)
|
That is why it is so important to focus relentlessly on urban violence. |
这就是坚持不懈地关注 城市暴力如此重要的原因。 |
Here are two examples of how. |
这是两个做法的例子。 |
Here in Boston, in the 1990s, a partnership between cops and community members achieved a stunning 63 percent reduction in youth homicide . |
1990 年代在波士顿这里, 警察与社区成员之间的伙伴关系 使得青少年兇杀案 出乎意料地减少了 63%。 |
relentlessly:adv.残酷地,无情地; partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词) reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图; homicide:n.杀人;杀人犯;
|
In Oakland , that same strategy recently reduced nonfatal gun assaults by 55 percent. |
在奥克兰,同样的策略 促使近期的非致命枪击案 减少了 55%。 |
In Cincinnati , Indianapolis and New Heaven, it cut gun violence by more than a third. |
辛辛那提、印第安纳波利斯 将枪支暴力减少了三分之一以上。 |
At its simplest, this strategy simply identifies those who are most likely to shoot or be shot, and then confronts them with a double message of empathy and accountability . |
简单来说, 这个策略只是找出最有可能开枪 或被枪杀的人, 然后用双重信息面对他们: 同理心和问责。 |
Oakland:n.奥克兰(美国加州西部城市); strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; recently:adv.最近;新近; nonfatal:adj.非致命的; assaults:n.攻击(assault的复数);vt.攻击;袭击(assault的第三人称单数); Cincinnati:n.辛辛那提(美国俄亥俄州西南部城市); Indianapolis:n.印第安纳波利斯(美国印第安纳州首府); identifies:vt.[计]识别,认明;视为相同,鉴定;v.[计]识别,确定(identify的单三形式); confronts:v.使…无法回避;降临于;处理;面对;对抗;(confront的第三人称单数) empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性;
|
'"We know it's you that's doing the shooting. |
「我们知道是你在开枪。 |
It must stop. |
这必须停止。 |
If you let us, we will help you. |
如果你允许,我们将提供协助。 |
If you make us, we will stop you." |
如果你逼急了我们, 我们将会阻止你。」 |
Those willing to change are offered services and support. |
那些愿意改变的人 会得到幫助和支持。 |
Those who persist in their violent behavior are brought to justice via targeted law enforcement action. |
那些坚持暴力行为的人, 通过有针对性的执法行动 会被绳之以法。 |
In Chicago, another program uses cognitive behavioral therapy to help teenage boys manage difficult thoughts and emotions , by teaching them how to avoid or mitigate conflicts . |
在芝加哥,另一个计划 使用认知行为疗法 幫助十几岁的男孩 处理困难的思想和情绪, 做法是教他们如何避免或减轻冲突。 |
persist in:坚持;固执于; violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制; cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; behavioral:adj.行为的; therapy:n.治疗,疗法; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) mitigate:vt.使缓和,使减轻;vi.减轻,缓和下来; conflicts:n.冲突; v.抵触;
|
This program reduced violent crime arrests among participants by half. |
该计划将参与者间的 暴力犯罪逮捕减半。 |
Similar strategies have reduced criminal reoffending by 25 to 50 percent. |
类似的策略减少了 25% 至 50% 的犯再犯。 |
Now Chicago has launched a new effort, using these same techniques , but with those at the highest risk for gun violence. |
现在芝加哥开始了新的尝试, 把这些相同的技术 用于那些枪支暴力风险最高的人。 |
participants:n.参与者(participant的复数形式); reoffending:再次违反(reoffend的变体);再次冒犯(reoffend的变体); launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
And the program is showing promising results. |
该程序显示出令人鼓舞的结果。 |
What's more, because these strategies are so focused, so targeted, they tend not to cost much in absolute terms. |
更重要的是, 因为这些策略如此专注、有针对性, 从绝对的角度来看 往往不会花费太多, |
And they work with the laws already on the books today. |
还可和现有的法律并用。 |
So that's the good news. |
这是个好消息。 |
We can have peace in our cities, right now, without big budgets and without new laws. |
我们可以在城市中获得和平, 马上, 没有大笔预算 而且不用新的法律。 |
So why hasn't this happened yet? |
那为什么还没有发生呢? |
Why are these solutions still limited to a small number of cities, and why do they struggle, even when successful, to maintain support? |
为什么这些解决方案 仍仅限于少数的城市? 为何即使成功,仍然处于 挣扎着继续取得支持的情况呢? |
budgets:n.[财政]预算(budget复数形式);v.为…做预算(budget的第三人称单数形式); limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见);
|
Well, that's the bad news. |
好吧,这是个坏消息。 |
The truth is, we have not been very good at organizing our efforts around this phenomenon of stickiness. |
事实是,我们并不善于 围绕这种粘性现象 组织我们的努力。 |
There are at least three reasons why we don't follow the evidence when it comes to urban violence reduction. |
在减少城市暴力方面 未遵循证据的原因至少有三个。 |
And the first, as you might expect, is politics . |
如您所料,第一个是政治。 |
Most sticky solutions don't conform to one political platform or another. |
大多数粘性解决方案 不符合这或那个政治平台, |
organizing:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;(organize的现在分词) politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) conform:v.遵守;相一致;顺从;相符合; platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
|
Instead, they offer both carrots and sticks, balancing the promise of treatment with the threat of arrest, combining place-based investment with hot-spots policing. |
而是软硬皆有, 在治疗承诺和逮捕威胁之间取得平衡, 结合基于地点的投资与热点警务。 |
In other words, these solutions are both soft and tough at the same time . |
换一种说法, 这些解决方案既软又硬, |
Because they don't line up neatly with the typical talking points of either the Left or the Right, politicians won't gravitate to these ideas without some education, and maybe even a little pressure. |
因为没和左右两边的对话窗口对齐, 如果不接受一些教育, 政客们就不会喜欢这些想法, 甚至还需要一点压力。 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; neatly:adv.整洁地;熟练地;灵巧地; typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) gravitate:vi.受引力作用;被吸引;
|
It won't be easy, but we can change the politics around these issues by reframing violence as a problem to be solved, not an argument to be won. |
不会容易的, 但是我们可以改变周遭的政治, 通过将暴力重新定义为 要解决的问题, 而不是要赢得的争论。 |
We should emphasize evidence over ideology and what works versus what sounds good. |
我们应该强调证据 而非意识形态, 强调行之有效的方法 而非听起来良好的方法。 |
The second reason why we don't always follow the evidence is the somewhat complicated nature of these solutions. |
不总是遵循证据的第二个原因是 这些解决方案有些复杂。 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) reframing:n.重新构造;v.再构造;给…装上新框架(reframe的ing形式); emphasize:v.强调;重视;着重;使突出; ideology:n.意识形态;思想意识;观念学; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗; somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
|
There is an irony here. |
这里有讽刺意味。 |
What are the simplest ways to reduce violence? |
减少暴力的最简单方法是什么? |
More cops. |
更多的警察、 |
More jobs. |
更多的工作、 |
Fewer guns. |
更少的枪支。[11:17] |
irony:n.讽刺;反语;具有讽刺意味的事;adj.铁的;似铁的;
|
These are easy to spell out , but they tend not to work as well in practice . |
这些很容易说, 但在实践中往往效果不佳。 |
While on the other hand, research-based solutions are harder to explain, but get better results. |
另一方面, 基于研究的解决方案难以解释, 但获得更好的结果。 |
Right now, we have a lot of professors writing about violence in academic journals . |
现在,我们有很多教授 在学术期刊上撰写有关暴力的文章。 |
spell out:讲清楚; in practice:在实践中;实际上,事实上; academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; journals:n.学术期刊(journal的复数);日记;日记账;
|
And we have a lot of people keeping us safe out on the street . |
我们有很多人 在街上保护我们安全。 |
But what we don't have is a lot of communication between these two groups. |
但是这两组之间没多少的交流。 研究与实践之间没有牢固的桥樑。 |
We don't have a strong bridge between research and practice. |
研究与实践之间没有牢固的桥樑。 |
And when research actually does inform practice, that bridge is not built by accident. |
当研究真正为实践提供信息时, 那座桥不是偶然建造的, |
out on the street:无家可归;失业; inform:v.通知;告诉;报告;告发;告密;
|
It happens when someone takes the time to carefully explain what the research means, why it's important and how it can actually make a difference in the field. |
而是有人花时间 仔细解释研究的意义、 为什么重要, 以及它如何真正在该领域有所作为。 |
We spend plenty of time creating research, but not enough breaking it down into bite-sized bits that a busy cop or social worker can easily digest . |
我们花费大量时间进行研究, 却未将其分解为一口的大小, 让忙碌的警察或社工 可以轻鬆消化。 |
It may be difficult to acknowledge or accept, but race is the third and final reason why more has not been done to reduce violence. |
可能难以确认或接受, 但是种族是第三个也是最后一个 为什么还没有做更多 减少暴力行动的原因。 |
make a difference:有影响,有关系; bite-sized:adj.很小的; social worker:n.社会工作者; digest:n.摘要;文摘;概要;汇编;v.消化;领会;领悟;理解;
|
Urban violence concentrates among poor communities of color. |
城市暴力集中在 贫穷的有色人种社区中, |
That makes it easy for those of us who don't live in those communities to ignore the problem or pretend it's not ours to solve. |
使得不住在这些社区的人 很容易忽略问题, 或假装不是我们要解决的问题。 |
That is wrong, of course. |
当然,那是错误的。 |
Urban violence is everyone's problem. |
城市暴力是每个人的问题。 |
Directly or indirectly , we all pay a price for the shootings and killings that happen on the streets of our cities. |
直接或间接, 我们都为枪击和杀害付出了代价, 发生在我们城市街道上的。 |
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬; indirectly:adv.间接地;不诚实;迂回地;
|
That is why we need to find new ways to motivate more people to cross class and color lines to join this struggle. |
这就是为什么我们需要 找到新方法来激励更多的人 跨越阶级和种族分界线 加入这场奋斗。 |
Because these strategies are not resource-intensive , we don't need to motivate many new allies -- we just need a few. |
由于这些策略没耗费多少资源, 我们不需要激励「许多」新的盟友, 我们只需要一些, |
And we just need them to be loud. |
只需要他们大声即可。 |
If we can overcome these challenges and spread these sticky solutions to the neighborhoods that need them, we could save thousands of lives. |
如果我们能克服这些挑战, 将这些粘性解决方案 传播到需要的社区, 就可以挽救数千条生命。 |
motivate:v.激励;激发;成为…的动机;是…的原因; resource-intensive:[环境]资源密集; allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数) overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜;
|
If the strategies I've discussed here today were implemented right now in the nation's 40 most violent cities, we could save over 12,000 souls over the next eight years. |
如果我今天在这里讨论过的策略 现已施行在美国 40 个最暴力的城市, 就可以在接下来的八年中 拯救超过 12,000 条性命。 |
How much would it cost? |
需要多少费用? |
About 100 million per year. |
每年约一亿。 |
That might sound like a lot, but in fact, that figure represents less than one percent of one percent of the annual federal budget. |
听起来像是很多, 但实际上这个数字 不到年度联邦预算的 0.01%。 |
implemented:v.使生效;贯彻;执行;实施;(implement的过去式和过去分词) represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的; federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地;
|
The Defense Department spends about that much for a single F-35 fighter jet. |
那等同于国防部花来买 一架 F-35 战斗机的钱。 |
Metaphorically , the treatment is the same, whether it's a young man suffering from a gunshot wound, a community riddled with such wounds, or a nation filled with such communities. |
用隐喻的说法,治疗是一样的, 不管是遭受枪伤的年轻人、 充满如此伤口的社区, 或充满这样的社区的国家。 |
In each case, the treatment, first and foremost , is to stop the bleeding. |
每种情况最重要治疗是止血。 |
I know this can work. |
我知道这行得通。 |
I know it, because I've seen it. |
我知道,因为我已经看过。 |
I've seen shooters put down their guns and devote their lives to getting others to do the same. |
我见过射手放下枪, 致力于使别人同样也放下抢。[14:12] |
Metaphorically:adv.隐喻地;用比喻; riddled:adj.布满的;遍布的;到处是…的;v.使布满窟窿;(riddle的过去分词和过去式) first and foremost:首先;首要的是; devote:v.贡献;把…专用于;听任;
|
I've walked through housing projects that were notorious for gunfire and witnessed children playing outside. |
我行经一些原以枪声闻名的公共住宅, 目睹了儿童在户外玩耍。 |
I've sat with cops and community members who used to hate one another, but now work together. |
我和警察和社区成员坐在一起, 他们曾经讨厌彼此, 但现在一起努力。 |
And I've seen people from all walks of life, people like you, finally decide to get involved in this struggle. |
我见过各行各業的人, 像您这样的人, 最终决定参与这场奋斗。 |
notorious:adj.声名狼藉的,臭名昭著的; gunfire:n.炮火;炮火声; witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词)
|
And that's why I know that together, we can and we will end this senseless slaughter . |
因此我知道我们可以, 我们将结束这场毫无意义的屠杀。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
senseless:adj.愚蠢的;无知觉的;无意识的; slaughter:vt.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;n.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;消灭;
|