|
|
The.Great.Gatsby.2013-了不起的盖茨比
|
In my younger and more vulnerable years... |
在我年纪还轻、世故不深的时候… |
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
|
...my father gave me some advice. |
我父亲曾教训我一句话 |
'"Always try to see the best in people," he would say. |
他说“总要把人往最好的方面想” |
As a consequence , I'm inclined to reserve all judgments . |
由此,我一生待人接物宁可采取保留的态度 |
consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论; inclined:adj.有…倾向; v.(使)倾向于,有…的趋势; (incline的过去分词和过去式) reserve:n.储备,储存; vt.储备; vi.预订; judgments:判断;
|
But even I have a limit. |
但是即便我也是有限度的 |
Back then, all of us drank too much. |
彼时,我们所有人都沉溺于杯中物 |
The more in tune with the times we were... |
我们越想跟着这个时代 |
tune:n.曲调;和谐;心情;v.调整;使一致;为…调音;调谐;
|
...the more we drank. |
我们就越纵情沉醉 |
And none of us contributed anything new. |
我们当中任何人也没创造出什么新的价值 |
contributed:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物); (contribute的过去式和过去分词)
|
When I came back from New York, I was disgusted . |
当我回到纽约时,我感到厌世 |
disgusted:adj.厌恶的;反感的;v.使作呕;使厌恶;使反感;(disgust的过去式和过去分词)
|
I see, Mr. Carraway. |
我明白,卡拉威先生 |
Disgusted with everyone and everything. |
我讨厌周围一切人和事 |
Disgusted with:对…感到厌恶;
|
Only one man was exempt from my disgust. |
我的这种反应只有对于一个人例外 |
exempt:vt.免除;豁免;adj.被免除的;被豁免的;n.免税者;被免除义务者;
|
One man? |
一个人? |
Mr. Carraway? |
卡拉威先生? |
Gatsby. |
他是盖茨比 |
Was he a friend of yours? |
他是您的朋友吗? |
He was... |
他曾是… |
...the single most hopeful person I've ever met. |
我见过最有前途的人 |
And am ever likely to meet again. |
并且我以后也不会再遇到他这样的人了 |
There was something about him, a sensitivity . |
他对于生命前途的指望具有一种高度的敏感 |
sensitivity:n.敏感;敏感性;过敏;
|
He was like... |
像是… |
He was like one of those machines that register earthquakes 10,000 miles away. |
像是一具精密的仪器,能够探测一万英里以外的地震 |
register:v.登记;注册;记录;n.登记簿;登记表;注册簿;
|
Where'd you meet him? |
你在哪认识他的? |
At a...At a party... |
在一次…宴会上 |
...in New York. |
在纽约 |
In the summer of 1922... |
那是一九二二年的夏天 |
...the tempo of the city approached hysteria . |
纽约的发展陷入了一种不正常的狂热 |
tempo:n.速度,发展速度;拍子; approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) hysteria:n.癔病,歇斯底里;不正常的兴奋;
|
Stocks reached record peaks . |
股票业务到达了巅峰 |
Stocks:n.[金融]股票; v.采购; peaks:n.山顶;峰巅(peak的复数);
|
...and Wall Street boomed in steady golden roar . |
华尔街的金融业一度繁荣稳定 |
Wall Street:n.华尔街(美国纽约金融中心和证券交易所所在地); boomed:vt.使兴旺;发隆隆声;vi.急速发展;发隆隆声;n.繁荣;吊杆;隆隆声; steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣; roar:吼叫,咆哮
|
The parties were bigger. |
宴会越来越大 |
The shows were broader. |
舞台越来越宽 |
The buildings were higher. |
建筑越来越高 |
The morals were looser and the ban ... |
道德约束也越来越宽松 |
morals:n.道德; looser:adj.未固定牢的;可分开的;未固定的;不受约束;(loose的比较级) ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令;
|
...on alcohol had backfired ... |
禁酒令没有取得预期效果 |
alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料; backfired:v.产生事与愿违的不良(或危险)后果; (backfire的过去式和过去分词)
|
...making the liquor cheaper. |
酒精越来越便宜 |
liquor:n.液;白酒;汤;[药学]溶液;
|
Wall Street was luring the young and ambitious . |
华尔街引诱着年轻人和野心家 |
luring:n.诱惑;饵;诱惑物;vt.诱惑;引诱; ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的;
|
And I was one of them. |
我便是其中之一 |
I rented a house 20 miles from the city on Long Island. |
我在离城里二十英里的长岛上租了一所房子 |
I lived at West Egg... |
我住在西卵 |
...in a forgotten groundskeeper's cottage ... |
一所被遗忘的园丁小屋里 |
cottage:n.小屋;村舍;(农舍式的)小别墅;
|
... squeezed among the mansions of the newly rich. |
被挤在暴发户们的豪华别墅之间 |
squeezed:v.挤压;捏;榨出,挤出,拧出;挤入;(squeeze的过去分词和过去式) mansions:大厦;
|
To get started, I bought a dozen volumes on credit, banking and investments . |
为了开始我的新事业,我买了十几本有关信贷和投资等方面的书籍 |
volumes:n.卷;体积;容积;大量;(volumes是volume的复数) investments:n.[经]投资,投资的财产;投资学;(investment的复数)
|
All new to me. |
对我而言完全是全新的领域 |
The stock market hit another high. |
股票市场又创新高 |
stock market:股票市场;证券市场;股票交易;
|
The market's moving up, up, up! |
大盘在上涨,上涨,不断上涨! |
Well, of course, nothing is 100 percent. I wouldn't go investing every penny. |
好的,当然,没有百分百确定,我不会花一分钱投资的 |
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
|
At Yale I dreamed of being a writer... |
在耶鲁读书的时候,我曾梦想当一名作家 |
...but I gave all that up. |
但我全然放弃了 |
With the sun shining... |
阳光普照 |
...and the bursts of leaves on the trees... |
绿树成荫 |
bursts:[天]爆发;破裂(burst的第三人称单数);
|
...I planned to spend... |
我本来打算 |
...the summer studying. |
将这个夏天用来学习 |
And I probably would have... |
我本该好好学习的 |
...were it not for the riotous of amusements that beckoned ... |
要不是高墙那边巨大城堡里 |
riotous:adj.暴乱的;狂欢的;不受约束的;放荡的;茂盛的; beckoned:vt.召唤;吸引;vi.吸引;(招手或点头)示意;n.表召唤的点头;手势;
|