|
|
The.Day.After.Tomarrow.2004-后天
|
You see how it's done? |
你看清楚怎么做了吗? |
Yeah, I think I got the hang of it. |
是啊 我想我找到窍门了 |
You better. The boss will chew my head off if these cores get messed up. |
你最好能行 如果把冰芯搞砸了老板会把我的脑袋拧下来 |
cores:n.[晶体]核心; v.挖去(水果的)果心(core的第三人称单数); messed:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺(mess的过去分词和过去式)
|
Don't worry. |
别担心 |
We're at 26 feet. |
我们钻到二十六英尺深了 |
You let Jason operate the drill? |
你让詹森一个人去操作钻探机? |
Yeah, he can handle it. |
嗯 他能行的 |
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
|
I didn't do anything. |
我什么都没做 |
Give me your hand! Let go of the drill! |
把你的手伸给我! 别管钻探机了! |
Forget it, Jack! It's too late! |
别管了 杰克! 太晚了! |
You're not gonna make it! |
你办不到的! |
Jack! |
杰克! |
Jack! Give me your hand! |
杰克! 把你的手给我! |
I've got you! |
我抓到你了! |
What were you thinking? |
你刚才在想什么呢? |
What's happening? - The whole damn shelf is breaking off! |
这是怎么回事?- 整个冰架裂开了! |
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
|
That's what's happening! |
就是这样 |
We found evidence of a cataclysmic climate shift , which occurred 10,000 years ago. |
我们发现了一万年前灾难性的气候迁移的证据 |
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; cataclysmic:adj.大变动的;洪水的; shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式)
|
The concentration of these natural greenhouse gases in the ice cores... |
这些温室效应气体在冰芯中的聚集... |
concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; greenhouse:n.温室;暖房;
|
... indicates that runaway warming pushed Earth into an ice age... |
显示出气候失控性的变暖把地球推向冰川时代... |
indicates:v.表明指示,显示;(indicate的第三人称单数) runaway:adj.逃亡的;逃走的;n.逃跑;逃走的人;
|
...which lasted two centuries. |
而这一直持续了两个世纪 |
I'm confused . |
我被你搞糊涂了 |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
I thought you were talking about global warming , not an ice age. |
我还以为你是在讨论全球变暖问题而不是冰川时代 |
global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
|
Yes, it is a paradox , but global warming can trigger a cooling trend . Let me explain. |
是 有点自相矛盾 但全球变暖能导致气候冷却趋势 我来解释 |
paradox:n.悖论,反论;似非而是的论点;自相矛盾的人或事; trigger:n.触发器; v.触发; trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向;
|
The Northern Hemisphere owes its climate to the North Atlantic Current. |
北大西洋暖流直接影响北半球气候 |
Hemisphere:n.半球; owes:v.欠;(把名誉等)归给…;有支付[偿还]义务;(owe的第三人称单数) Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
|
Heat from the sun arrives at the equator and is carried north by the ocean. |
来自太阳的热量到达赤道后再由洋流传送到北方 |
But global warming is melting the polar ice caps and disrupting this flow. |
但是全球变暖正在融化极地的冰川 而这干扰了这个洋流 |
melting:adj.感人的;v.(使)熔化,融化;(melt的现在分词) polar:adj.极地的;南极(或北极)的;n.极线;极面; disrupting:v.扰乱;使中断;打乱;(disrupt的现在分词)
|
Eventually it will shut down. And when that occurs ... |
最后它会慢慢停下来 到那时候... |
Eventually:adv.最后,终于; occurs:v.重现(occur的第三人称单数);
|
...there goes our warm climate. |
我们温暖的天气就消失了 |
Excuse me. When do you think this could happen, professor? When? |
对不起 你认为这情形什么时候会发生呢?教授?什么时候? |
I don't know. Maybe in 100 years, maybe in 1,000. But what I do know is... |
我不知道 也许一百年 也许一千年 但是我知道... |
...that if we do not act soon, our children and grandchildren will have to pay the price. |
如果我们不很快采取行动 我们的子孙后代会为此付出代价 |
And who's going to pay the price of the Kyoto Accord ? |
那谁将会为京都协定书付出代价呢? |
Kyoto:n.京都(日本城市); Accord:n.协议;协定;一致;和谐;v.一致;给予;相符;协调;
|
It would cost the world's economy hundreds of billions of dollars. |
世界经济将会为此损失亿万美元 |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
|
With all due respect, Mr. Vice President, the cost of doing nothing could be even higher. |
恕我直言 副总统 如果现在我们不采取行动付出的代价会更高 |
Vice:n.恶习;缺点;[机]老虎钳;卖淫;prep.代替;v.钳住;adj.副的;代替的;
|
Our climate is fragile . |
我们的气候十分脆弱 |
fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的;
|
At the rate we're burning fossil fuels and polluting the environment... |
按照我们燃烧原油和污染环境的速度... |
fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的;
|
...the ice caps will soon disappear . |
冰川将会很快消失 |
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
Professor Hall... |
霍尔教授 |
...our economy is every bit as fragile as the environment. |
我们的经济就象环境一样脆弱 |
Perhaps you should keep that in mind before making sensationalist claims . |
也许在做出这种耸人听闻的声明之前 你应该记住这一点 |
sensationalist:n.感觉论者; claims:v.宣称; n.声明; (claim的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Well, the last chunk of ice that broke off... |
喔 上次断裂的冰块... |
chunk:n.大块;矮胖的人或物;
|
...was about the size of Rhode Island. |
差不多象罗德岛州那么大 |
Rhode:n.罗德岛;
|
Some people might call that pretty sensational. |
有些人可能会觉得这相当的耸人听闻 |
Stop global warming! Stop global warming! |
阻止全球变暖!阻止全球变暖! |
I'm at the Global Warming Conference in New Delhi ... |
我现在正在新德里的全球变暖会议场外 |
Conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名);
|
...where, if you can believe it, it's snowing. |
这里 难以置信的是 正在下雪 |
The coldest weather on record has thrown the city into chaos ... |
有史以来最寒冷的气候给整个城市造成了严重的混乱 |
chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
|
...with numbers of homeless people freezing to death. |
大量的无家可归者被冻死 |
Taxi! |
出租车! |
I enjoyed your testimony , professor. It was very spirited. |
我非常欣赏你的报告 教授 非常有感染力 |
testimony:n.[法]证词,证言;证据;
|
Oh, thank you. That's what we're here for, right? Put on a good show? |
喔 谢谢 那正是我们来这里的目的 不是吗?要让大家看看 |
Quite. I was wondering if I could talk to you about your theory on abrupt climate shift. |
很对 我在想我能不能和你谈谈有关暖流迁移中断的理论呢 |
abrupt:adj.生硬的;突然的;唐突的;陡峭的;
|
The name's Rapson. Terry Rapson. |
我叫瑞博森 特里.瑞博森 |
Terry:n.厚绒布;毛毛圈;adj.起毛毛圈的;
|
Professor Rapson? Of the Hedland Center? - That's me. |
瑞博森教授?海德兰中心的?- 就是我 |