|
|
The.Chair-英文系主任
|
What the fuck? |
?搞什么鬼 |
There she is. |
?她来了 |
Woman of the hour. - Morning. |
?-风云女子 ?-早上好 |
Condolences . |
请节哀 |
Condolences:n.吊唁;慰唁;(condolence的复数)
|
Thank you. Where's Joan? - I don't know. |
?-谢谢 乔恩去哪儿了 ?-我不知道 |
Welcome back, everyone. |
?欢迎大家返校 |
Here's a little swag from Dean Larson. |
?这些赠品是拉尔森院长给的 |
swag:n.赃物,掠夺品;摇晃;大量;vi.垂下;摇晃,倾斜;vt.使…摇摆;用垂挂物装饰; Dean:n.院长;系主任;教务长;主持牧师;
|
Our first lady chair. - Woman chair. |
?-我们的第一位女士主任 ?-女性主任 |
first lady:n.第一夫人;元首夫人;总统夫人;
|
Aren't you gonna sit at the head of the table? |
?你不坐上座吗 |
Chair sits at the head of the table. |
?主任应该坐在上座 |
Thank you, Elliot. |
?谢谢你 艾略特 |
Don't mind if I do. |
?那我就不客气了 |
Is this green or brown? |
?这是绿色还是棕色的 |
Let's try this again. It's lovely to see you all. |
?重来一次吧 见到大家可真好啊 |
In a couple of minutes, we'll know if that was right. |
?再过几分钟就知道到底好不好了 |
Okay, first order of business-- |
?好了 第一件事… |
Bill's not here. |
?比尔没来 |
Maybe we could cut him some slack , given his situation. |
?考虑到他的情况 ?也许我们可以对他网开一面 |
slack:adj.松弛的;疏忽的;不流畅的;v.松懈;减弱;n.煤末;峡谷;adv.马虎地;缓慢地;
|
Bill is sending his daughter off to college. He'll be here any minute. |
?比尔的女儿要到外地上大学 ?他去送她了 随时会到 |
Get your shit together. |
?振作起来吧 |
I'm gone now, and that's the way it's gonna be for the rest of your life. |
?我现在要走了 你余生得自己过了 |
You're not… gone. |
?你没走啊 |
Yes, I am. |
?我就是走了 |
And what happened, happened. |
?木已成舟了 |
The time when people were, like, leaving casseroles and whatever at the house, it's over. |
?有人把做好的砂锅菜和别的东西 ?送来家里的日子 ?已经一去不复返了 |
casseroles:n.砂锅菜(casserole的复数);
|
Okay. Are you finished? |
?行吧 你说完了吗 |
Yes, I'm done. - Okay. |
?-完了 ?-好 |
I'm not gonna miss you. I'm just gonna miss this guy and this guy. |
?我不会想你的 ?我只是会想念这个人和这个人 |
Stop. - Goodbye to you and you. |
?-住手 ?-我要跟你和你说再见了 |
Okay. |
?好了 |
Go. Get outta here. |
?去吧 快走 |
Text me when you land. - Okay, stalker . |
?-记得降落后发短信给我 ?-行了 跟踪狂 |
stalker:n.跟踪者;盯梢者;悄悄接近猎物的猎人;
|
I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. We are in dire crisis . |
?我没打算粉饰太平 ?我们陷入了可怕的危机 |
sugarcoat:vt.裹以糖衣;粉饰,使有吸引力;n.糖衣; dire:adj.可怕的;悲惨的;极端的; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
|
Enrollments are down more than 30%. |
?参与课程的人数下降了超过30% |
Enrollments:n.登记;入伍;
|
Our budget is being gutted . |
?我们的预算被大幅削减 |
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的; gutted:adj.十分伤心; v.损毁(建筑物或房屋的)内部; (gut的过去分词和过去式)
|
It feels like the sea is washing the ground out from under our feet. |
?感觉像是大海 ? 正把我们脚下的土地冲刷走 |
But in these unprecedented times, we have to prove that what we do in the classroom… …modeling critical thinking, stressing the value of empathy , is more important than ever, and has value to the public good. |
?但面对这种前所未有的情况时 ?我们得证明我们在课上教的内容 ?是有用的... ?...塑造批判性思维 ?强调同理心的价值 ?这比以往任何时候都重要 ?也有利于公众利益 |
unprecedented:adj.空前的;无前例的; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
|
It's true, we can't teach our students coding or engineering . |
?没错 我们没法教学生编程或工程 |
coding:n.译码;v.把…编码;(code的现在分词) engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词)
|
What we teach them cannot be quantified or put down on a résumé as a skill. |
?我们所教授的内容是无法被量化的 ?也没有办法当作技能写到履历上 |
quantified:adj.量化的,定量;v.被量化(quantify的过去分词); résumé:n.(法)简历;
|
But let us have pride in what we can offer future generations. |
?但让我们心怀自豪 ?为我们能为年轻人们提供的资源 ?感到自豪 |
We need to remind these young people that knowledge doesn't just come from spreadsheets or… or Wiki entries. |
?我们要提醒这些年轻人 ?知识不是从电子表格或维基百科条目 ?就能轻易获取 |
remind:v.提醒;使想起; spreadsheets:n.电子表格;电子数据表;试算表;空白表格程序; Wiki:n.维基百科(网站名);
|
I was thinking this morning about our tech-addled culture, and… and how our students are hyperconnected 24 hours a day, and I was reminded of something, Harold Bloom wrote. |
?对了 我今早在想 ?这被科技弄得昏头昏脑的文化 ?我们的学生全天24小时 ?都与线上世界过度连接 ?我想到了文学评论家 ?哈罗德.布鲁姆写的话 |
hyperconnected:超高速连结;超高速连结化;超高速结; reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) Bloom:v.盛开;开花;繁殖;繁盛;n.水华;风华正茂;霜;青春;
|