|
|
TerryMoore_2005-_如何系鞋带_
|
I'm used to thinking of the TED audience as a wonderful collection of some of the most effective , intelligent , intellectual , savvy , worldly and innovative people in the world. |
我以前一直认为TED的观众是很棒的一群人 他们让人印象深刻,聪明 善于思考,机智 有世界观并且富有创造精神 |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的 intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的; savvy:n.悟性;理解能力;懂行(的人);v.理解;懂;vi.理解;知道; worldly:adj.世俗的;世间的;尘世的;adv.世俗地;世故地; innovative:adj.革新的,创新的;
|
And I think that's true. |
当然,这是事实 |
However, I also have reason to believe that many, if not most, of you are actually tying your shoes incorrectly. |
但是,我同样有理由相信 你们中的很多人 其实系鞋带的方法是错误的 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Now I know that seems ludicrous . |
现在我知道这看似有些可笑 |
ludicrous:adj.滑稽的;荒唐的;
|
I know that seems ludicrous. |
我知道这看上去有些可笑 |
And believe me, I lived the same sad life until about three years ago. |
但相信我,我的生活中不断重复着这个错误 直到三年前 |
And what happened to me was I bought, what was for me, a very expensive pair of shoes. |
当时,我给自己 买了一双很贵的鞋 |
But those shoes came with round nylon laces , and I couldn't keep them tied. |
但是那双鞋的鞋带是尼龙的 我不知道怎么系 |
nylon:n.尼龙,[纺]聚酰胺纤维;尼龙袜; laces:n.网眼织物; v.由带子系紧; (lace的第三人称单数和复数)
|
So I went back to the store and said to the owner, "I love the shoes, but I hate the laces." |
于是我回到鞋店跟老板说 “我喜欢这双鞋,但我讨厌鞋带” |
He took a look and said, "Oh, you're tying them wrong." |
老板看了看说:“哦,你系鞋带的方法是错的” |
Now up until that moment, |
直到那一刻 |
I would have thought that, by age 50, one of the life skills that I had really nailed was tying my shoes. |
我都认为一个50岁的人 最擅长的技能莫过于 系鞋带了 |
But not so -- let me demonstrate . |
但是,事实却并非如此--我来说明一下 |
demonstrate:vt.证明;展示;论证;vi.示威;
|
This is the way that most of us were taught to tie our shoes. |
现在这个系法 就是我们大多数人一般系鞋带的方式 |
Now as it turns out -- thank you. |
现在事实证明--谢谢 |
Wait, there's more. |
等一下,还没完 |
As it turns out, there's a strong form and a weak form of this knot , and we were taught to tie the weak form. |
事实证明 这种打结的方式会有牢固和不牢固两种手法 我们以前学得是不牢固的手法 |
knot:n.(绳等的)结;节瘤,疙瘩;海里;小时(航速单位);v.打结;
|
And here's how to tell. |
我来演示一下 |
If you pull the strands at the base of the knot, you will see that the bow will orient itself down the long axis of the shoe. |
如果你像这样撑开绳结的底部 你可以看到鞋带 会自动的像这样呈长轴式的转过来 |
strands:n.线; v.搁浅; orient:vt.使适应;确定方向;使朝东;n.东方;东方诸国;adj.东方的;vi.向东; axis:n.轴;轴线;轴心国;
|
That's the weak form of the knot. |
这就是不牢固的打结 |
But not to worry. |
不过不用担心 |
If we start over and simply go the other direction around the bow, we get this, the strong form of the knot. |
如果我们重来 并且仅仅是按原先反方向让右手从下面 绕过来打结 这就是牢固的打结方式 |
And if you pull the cords under the knot, you will see that the bow orients itself along the transverse axis of the shoe. |
如果你还是这样拉开 你会看到鞋带 仍能保持原样呈横轴式 |
cords:n.(结实的)粗线,细绳;灯芯绒裤子;(cord的复数) orients:vt.使适应;确定方向;使朝东;n.东方;东方诸国;adj.东方的;vi.向东; transverse:adj.横向的;横断的;贯轴的;n.横断面;贯轴;横肌;
|
This is a stronger knot. It will come untied less often. |
这就是更牢固的打结,不会轻易松开 |
untied:v.解开…的结;打开;(untie的过去分词和过去式)
|
It will let you down less, and not only that , it looks better. |
也会为你减少麻烦 不仅如此,它看起来也更美观了 |
only that:只是;要不是;
|
We're going to do this one more time. |
我再来演示一次 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
Start as usual, go the other way around the loop . |
就像往常那样开始 再反方向地绕过来系 |
loop:n.循环;回路;环路;圈;v.使成环;使绕成圈;成环形移动;
|
This is a little hard for children, but I think you can handle it. |
这对小孩会有点难 但是我相信你们可以做到 |
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
|
Pull the knot. |
拉一下这打结 |
There it is: the strong form of the shoe knot. |
这样就完成了,鞋带的牢固系法 |
Now, in keeping with today's theme, |
现在,为了符合今天的主题 |
in keeping with:符合;与…一致;
|
I'd like to point out -- and something you already know -- that sometimes a small advantage someplace in life can yield tremendous results someplace else. |
我想指出--有一些大家已经了解的东西-- 在人生的某一阶段 有时一个小优势 可能会在别的地方给你带来意想不到的收获 |
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点: yield:n.产量;产出;利润;v.屈服;让步;放弃;提供; tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的;
|
Live long and prosper . |
活到老学到老 |
prosper:v.繁荣;成功;发达;兴旺;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |