返回首页

TempleGrandin_2010-_这个世界需要各种心智_

I think I'll start out and just talk a little bit about what exactly autism is. 我想,我就从解释 自闭症是什么, 来开始我的演讲吧
autism:n.[心理][内科]孤独症;自我中心主义;
Autism is a very big continuum that goes from very severe , the child remains non-verbal , all the way up to brilliant scientists and engineers. 自闭症的症状范围很广 有的自闭症非常严重,他们从小孩开始就一直不会说话 但也有的自闭症患者最终成为了伟大的科学家和工程师
continuum:n.[数]连续统;[经]连续统一体;闭联集; severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; non-verbal:adj.非语言的;非用言语的;
And I actually feel at home here. 今天来到这里,我感到了家的温暖
feel at home:在家中般轻松自在;感觉自在;
Because there is a lot of autism genetics here. 因为这里有很多自闭症的基因
genetics:n.遗传学;
You wouldn't have any... 你该不会……
(Applause) (掌声)
It's a continuum of traits . 就是说,自闭症一系列的症状
traits:n.特性,特质,性格(trait的复数);
When does a nerd turn into 比如,一个怪人变成了埃斯博格综合症
nerd:n.呆子;讨厌的人;
Asperger, which is just mild autism? 但你们知不知道那只是很轻微的自闭症?
mild:adj.温和的; n.(英国的一种)淡味麦芽啤酒;
I mean Einstein and Mozart and Tesla, would all be probably diagnosed as autistic spectrum today. 可以想象,包括爱因斯坦、莫扎特 以及Tesla在内这些人 今天都会被诊断为自闭症患者
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) autistic:adj.[心理][内科]孤独症的;孤僻的;n.孤独症患者(常指儿童); spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象;
And one of the things that is really going to concern me is getting these kids to be the ones that are going to invent the next energy things, now, that Bill Gates talked about this morning. 有一件事情让我感到很有必要去做的 就是如何教育这些孩子 使得他们成为发明下一代能源的人 正如盖茨先生今天早上所讲到的
concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事;
Okay. Now, if you want to understand autism, animals. 假如你希望 了解自闭症或者是动物
And I want to talk to you now about different ways of thinking. 我希望先跟你们介绍一下人不同的思维方式
You have to get away from verbal language. 你需要摆脱单纯的用言语思考的习惯
I think in pictures. 我是用图像来思考的
I don't think in language. 我不是用语言来思考的
Now, the thing about the autistic mind is it attends to details. 而自闭症患者很多又是对 细节非常着迷的
Okay, this is a test where you either have to pick out the big letters, or pick out the little letters. 好,这是一个测试,你可以从图上 挑出那些大的字母或者是挑出小的字母
And the autistic mind picks out the little letters more quickly. 自闭症患者通常会 更快的挑出小的字母
And the thing is, the normal brain ignores the details. 而事实上,普通的大脑是忽略这些细节 的
ignores:v.忽视;对…不予理会;不予理睬;(ignore的第三人称单数)
Well, if you're building a bridge, details are pretty important because it will fall down if you ignore the details. 假如你要造桥,那细节是非常重要的 因为假如你忽视细节的话,桥就会垮掉
And one of my big concerns with a lot of policy things today is, things are getting too abstract . 而我今天对于政策最为关心的一点是 这些政策很多都非常抽象
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式); policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要;
People are getting away from doing hands-on stuff . 很多人也慢慢的失去了 动手的能力
hands-on:adj.亲身实践的,亲自动手的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
I'm really concerned that a lot of schools have taken out the hands-on classes, because art, and classes like that, those are the classes where I excelled . 看到许多学校把手工课踢出课表 我感到忧心忡忡 因为我恰恰是在艺术、以及手工这一类的课程上 特别的优秀
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) excelled:v.优于;超过;超越(excel的过去分词形式);胜过;
Okay, in my work with cattle, 在我很牛群打交道的日子里
I noticed a lot of little things that most people don't notice would make the cattle balk . Like, for example, this flag waving, right in front of the veterinary facility . 我注意到了许多平常人不会注意到的细节 这些会使得牛群不安 比如这面旗帜,它刚好是树立在兽医室前面
balk:n.障碍;错误;vt.阻止;推诿;错过;vi.犹豫;突然止步不前; veterinary:adj.兽医的;n.兽医(等于veterinarian); facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
This feed yard was going to tear down their whole veterinary facility, all they needed to do was move the flag. 这些牛就要把整个的兽医室都毁了 而她们需要做的就只是移出那面旗帜而已
Rapid movement, contrast . 快进。比照
contrast:n.对比;对照;反差;明显的差异;v.对比;对照;形成对比;
In the early '70s when I started, I got right down in the chutes to see what cattle were seeing. 70年代我刚开始做这一行的时候 我会钻进洞里,看看牛从洞里能看到什么
chutes:n.瀑布;斜槽;降落伞;陡坡道;
People thought that was crazy. A coat on a fence would make them balk. 人们把我看成是白痴。假如有山羊站在栅栏上,牛群也会不安
Shadows would make them balk, a hose on the floor. 影子会使得牛惊慌,在地板上有水龙头也是这样
hose:n.塑料管;(旧时的)男式紧身裤;v.用软管输水冲洗(或浇水);
People weren't noticing these things, a chain hanging down, and that's shown very very nicely in the movie. 但是人们并没有注意到这些 这些都是一连串的反应 这个在电影里有精彩的展现
nicely:adv.细致地;有吸引力;令人满意;令人愉快;adj.强健的;
In fact I loved the movie how they duplicated all my projects. That's the geek side. 我非常喜欢他们在电影里对我的 一些项目的复制。哦,这个是我的怪的一面
duplicated:v.复制;复印;复写;(duplicate的过去分词和过去式) geek:n.做低级滑稽表演的人,反常的人; n.(俚)极客,即智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的怪才;
My drawings got to star in the movie too. 我的绘画也在电影里展现出来了
And actually it's called Temple Grandin, not Thinking In Pictures. 就叫作坦普·葛兰丁 而不是叫图像思考
So, what is thinking in pictures? It's literally movies in your head. 那么,什么图像思考? 可以形象的说,那就是你大脑里有电影在播放
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
My mind works like Google for images . 我的大脑可以像谷歌图像搜索那样工作
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
Now, when I was a young kid I didn't know my thinking was different. 但是我小的时候并不知道其他人不是这样思考的
I thought everybody thought in pictures. 我想当然的认为,人人都是图像思考者
And then when I did my book, Thinking In Pictures, 后来,我开始写《图像化思考》一书的时候
I start interviewing people about how they think. 我开始对别人进行采访,看他们是怎么思考的
interviewing:v.对(某人)进行面试;(媒体)采访,访问;(interview的现在分词)
And I was shocked to find out that my thinking my thinking was quite different. Like if I say, "Think about a church steeple " 我惊讶的发现,我的思维方式 那种方式是很不一样的。比如说, “请想象一下教堂的石柱”
steeple:n.尖塔;尖顶;vt.把…建成尖塔;
most people get this sort of generalized generic one. 大多数人想到的是一个标准答案
generalized:adj.广义的,普遍的; v.推广(generalize的过去分词); generic:adj.类的;一般的;属的;非商标的;
Now, maybe that's not true in this room, but it's going to be true in a lot of different places. 也许这个房间里的人的答案会很不一样 但对于大多数的地方来说,这都是适用的
I see only specific pictures 而我只是注意到某一类的图像
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
They flash up into my memory, just like Google for pictures. 它们会飞进我的记忆,就像用谷歌搜索图片一样快
flash:n.闪光; v.闪光; adj.庞大的;
And in the movie, they've got a great scene in there, where the word "shoe" is said, and a whole bunch of '50s and '60s shoes pop into my imagination . 形成电影,里面的画面还相当精彩 比如当提到“鞋子”这个词的时候,我大脑就马上会呈现出 一大堆五六十年代的鞋子
bunch:n.群;串;突出物;vi.隆起;打褶;形成一串;vt.使成一串;使打褶; imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
Okay, there is my childhood church. 看,这是我孩子时代的教堂
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
That specific. There is some more, Fort Collins. 在我的记忆里是如此的精确的。还有更多,比如柯林斯户城
Fort:n.堡垒;要塞;(美)边界贸易站;v.设要塞保卫;构筑要塞;
Okay how about famous ones? 好,那些更为著名的建筑呢?
And they just kind of come up, kind of like this. 它们会旋即跳到我的脑海,有点像是这个样子
Just really quickly, like Google for pictures. 非常快,像是谷歌图片搜索
And they come up one at a time . 每次是出现一张图片
one at a time:每次一个;一次一个;
And then I think, okay well maybe we can have it snow, or we can have a thunderstorm , and I can hold it there and turn them into videos. 我还会想,也许还可以是下雪 或者是雷暴 还可以将其定格,变成影片
thunderstorm:n.[气象]雷暴;雷暴雨;大雷雨;
Now, visual thinking was a tremendous asset in my work designing cattle handling facilities . 对于我来说,视觉思考是一个巨大的财富 在设计牛群栅栏方面非常有帮助
visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; asset:n.资产;优点;有用的东西;有利条件;财产;有价值的人或物; facilities:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;(facility的复数)
And I've worked really hard on improving how cattle are treated at the slaughter plant. 我也进行了大量的努力 去改善牛只在屠宰场的境况
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词) treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) slaughter:vt.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;n.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;消灭;
I'm not going to go into any gucky slaughter slides. 这里就不展示那些充满血腥的屠宰幻灯片了
gucky:adj.[俚语]黏糊糊的,胶状粘性的;泥泞的;
I've got that stuff up on Youtube if you want to look at it. 在YouTube上面有,要看你们可以自己去看
But, one of the things that I was able to do in my design work is I could actually test run a piece of equipment in my mind, just like a virtual reality computer system. 在我的设计工作中 我可以直接在脑海里 测试某一个方案,看它是否可行 跟虚拟的计算机系统差不多
test run:n.试车;试运行;试航; virtual reality:n.(计算机创造的)虚拟现实;
And this is an aerial view of a recreation of one of my projects that was used in the movie. 这个是空中的视图 这是在电影里看到的一个基于我的项目的再创作
aerial:adj.从飞机上的;空中的;空气中的;地表以上的;n.天线; recreation:n.娱乐;消遣;娱乐活动;游戏;
That was like just so super cool. 那真的是非常妙
And there were a lot of kind of Asperger types, and autism types, working out there on the movie set too. 在电影里还有很多其他的 Asperger 和各种自闭症的类型 电影里都展现出来了
(Laughter) (笑声)
But one of the things that really worries me, is where is the younger version of those kids going today. 但最为使得我担心的是 我们今天把这样的孩子带到怎样的方向
They are not ending up in Silicon Valley , where they belong. 他们现在不是被带到硅谷那样的地方——那里才是属于他们的世界
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地);
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Now, one of the things I learned very early on because I wasn't that social, is, I had to sell my work, and not myself. 因为我不甚擅长社交,我很早就学会的一件事就是 我要学会推销我的书,而不是我自己
And the way I sold livestock jobs is, I showed off my drawings, I showed off pictures of things. 我要获得牲畜监护的工作 我要把我的画画给他们看,他们需要看到这些图像的东西
livestock:n.家畜;牲畜;
Another thing that helped me, as a little kid, is, boy, in the '50s you were taught manners. 另外我一直为之受用的是,在我小的时候 我的父母告诉我们,你不能
You were taught you can't pull the merchandise off the shelves in the store and throw it around. 从商店的货架上拿东西 然后又到处乱放
merchandise:n.商品;货品;相关商品;v.推销;(运用广告等)销售;
Now, when kids get to be in third or fourth grade, you might see that this kid is going to be a visual thinker, drawing in perspective . Now, I want to emphasize that not every autistic kid is going to be a visual thinker. 当我见到三四年级的学生时 我可以看出这些孩子会成为视觉思考者 因为他们懂得透视的画法 好,我还想强调一点 并非每一个自闭症的孩子都是视觉思考者
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; emphasize:v.强调;重视;着重;使突出;
Now, I had this brain scan done several years ago, and I used to joke around about having a gigantic internet trunk line going deep into my visual cortex . 我几年前完成了这份脑电波的视图 我曾跟别人开玩笑说 在我的视觉皮层上 有一条很深的互联网沟壑
gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮;
This is tensor imaging . 这是张量成像
tensor:n.[数]张量;[解剖]张肌; imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式)
And my great big internet trunk line is twice as big as the control's. 从图上可以看到,我的大脑上的互联网沟壑 是控制组的两倍大小
The red lines there are me, and the blue lines are the sex and age matched control. 红色的代表我 蓝色的是跟我同一性别和年龄的对比测试结果
And there I got a gigantic one, and the control over there, the blue one, has got a really small one. 我的是巨大的 相比之下,对照组的蓝色区域 则相当小
And some of the research now is showing is that people on the spectrum actually think with primary visual cortex. 现在有的研究显示 这一圈的人通常都是用她们的主视觉皮层来思考
Now, the thing is, the visual thinker is just one kind of mind. 但事实上,视觉思考者仅仅是其中一种的心智模式
You see, the autistic mind tends to be a specialist mind. 自闭症患者通常都是有特别的心智的
Good at one thing, bad at something else. 她们往往在某一方面做得很棒,在其他方面做得很糟
And where I was bad was algebra . And I was never allowed to take geometry or trig . 我就是代数非常差 更不用提几何或三角了
algebra:n.代数学; geometry:n.几何学;几何结构; trig:adj.潇洒的;整洁的,漂亮的;vt.修饰;煞住;支撑;n.煞车;垫木,垫石;三角学;
Gigantic mistake. I'm finding a lot of kids who need to skip algebra, go right to geometry and trig. 但现在发现这是严重的错误。我发现,有些孩子她们可以跳过代数 直接进入三角几何的思维
Now, another kind of mind is the pattern thinker. 另外一种心智就是模式思考
More abstract. These are your engineers, your computer programmers. 那是更为抽象化的一种思考形态 通常工程师或程序员就是这样的心智
Now, this is pattern thinking. That praying mantis is made from a single sheet of paper, no scotch tape , no cuts. 看,这就是模式思考。这个螳螂就是 只用一张纸折叠而成的 没有使用胶布或剪刀
mantis:n.螳螂 sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的; scotch tape:n.思高(3M公司注册商标)胶带;
And there in the background is the pattern for folding it. 在后面你可以看到折叠的纹路
Here are the types of thinking, photo realistic visual thinkers, like me. 这就是不同的思考模式 有视觉思考者
realistic:adj.现实的;现实主义的;逼真的;实在论的;
Pattern thinkers, music and math minds. 模式思考者,那是音乐家和数学家的心智
Some of these often have problems with reading. 而这些人往往会有阅读上的障碍
You also will see these kind of problems with with kids that are dyslexic . 你会在诵读困难的孩子身上 发现这样的特征
dyslexic:adj.诵读困难的;n.诵读困难者;
You'll see these different kinds of minds. 你可以看到这些不同的心智模式
And then there is a verbal mind. They know every fact about everything. 还有就是言语心智。这些人懂得关于所有事情的一切
Now, another thing is the sensory issues . 另外一个就是感官问题
sensory:adj.感觉的;知觉的;传递感觉的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
I was really concerned about having to wear this gadget on my face. 今天要戴这个小话筒,我可真不自在
gadget:n.小玩意;小器具;小配件;诡计;
And I came in half an hour beforehand so I could have it put on and kind of get used to it. 我必须提前半个小时把它戴上 才能慢慢的适应它
beforehand:adv.事先;预先;adj.提前的;预先准备好的; get used to:开始习惯于
And they got it bent so it's not hitting my chin . 并且要把它弄弯,才不至于触及我的下巴
chin:n.下巴;颏;v.(口)用下巴夹住(提琴等);(单杠)引体向上使下巴高过横杠;谈话;
But sensory is an issue. Some kids are bothered by fluorescent lights; others have problems with sound sensitivity . 一些感官上的刺激确实是一个问题。一些孩子就会对日光灯特别过敏 另外一些则对声音反应强烈
bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼; fluorescent:adj.荧光的;萤光的;发亮的;n.荧光;日光灯; sensitivity:n.敏感;敏感性;过敏;
You know, it's going to be variable . 不同的人会有不同程度的反应
variable:n.变量;可变因素;可变情况;adj.多变的;易变的;变化无常的;可更改的;
Now, visual thinking gave me a whole lot of insight into the animal mind. 视觉思考给我带来了全新的视角 去了解动物的心智
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉;
Because think about it. An animal is a sensory based thinker, not verbal. Thinks in pictures. 你们不妨想想。动物是一种基于感官的思考者 它们没有语言,只会通过图像来 思考
Thinks in sounds. Thinks in smells. 还有是通过声音以及气味
Think about how much information there is there on the local fire hydrant . 你想象一下救火的管子上布满了多少的信息
fire hydrant:n.消防栓;消防龙头;
He knows who's been there, when they were there, are they friend or foe , is there anybody he can go mate with. 可以看出有谁到过那里,什么时候在哪里 他们是不是敌人,是否有配对的同伴等
foe:n.敌人;反对者;危害物; mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
There is a ton of information on that fire hydrant. 总之,会有一大堆的信息布满在救火管子上
It's all very detailed information. 并且都是非常详细的信息
And, looking at these kind of details gave me a lot of insight into animals. 通过阅读这些信息 使我有机会认识到动物的心智
Now, the animal mind, and also my mind puts sensory based information into categories . 不管是人的大脑还是动物的大脑 都是将感官的信息 分类进行处理的
categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数)
Man on a horse, and a man on the ground, that is viewed as two totally different things. 人骑在马上 跟人站在地面 这是被当成完全不一样的信息来处理的
You could have a horse that's been abused by a rider . 一匹曾被骑手虐待的马
abused:v.滥用(以致危害健康); (abuse的过去分词和过去式) rider:n.骑手;附文;扶手;
They will be absolutely fine with the veterinarian , and with the horse shoer, but you can't ride him. 在兽医面前却表现得很安详 在马镫师面前也很温顺,但他们还不能骑那匹马
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; veterinarian:n.[兽医]兽医;
You have another horse, where maybe the horse shoer beat him up, and he'll be terrible for anything on the ground, with the veterinarian, but a person can ride him. 假如另外一匹马,曾给马镫师狠狠的训了一顿 那么这马就会很怕任何地上的东西 对于兽医也会怕,但是你可以骑它
Cattle are the same way. 牛也是这样。
Man on a horse, a man on foot, they are two different things. 人骑在马上 跟站在地上,这是两回事
You see, it's a different picture. 你看到没有,在马的眼里,是两副不一样的画面
See, I want you to think about just how specific this is. 请看看这里是多么精细的细节吧
Now, this ability to put information into categories, 这样一种把信息分类处理的能力
I find a lot of people are not very good at this. 很多人都是不擅长的
When I'm out troubleshooting equipment or problems with something in a plant, they don't seem to be able to figure out, "Do I have a training people issue? 当我在地里排除设备意外或 处理种植物上的一些问题 我身边的人似乎看不出那是人员培训的问题
troubleshooting:n.解决纷争;发现并修理故障;v.检修(troubleshoot的ing形式);当调解人;
Or do I have something wrong with the equipment?" 还是设备本身的问题
In other words, categorize equipment problem, from a people problem. 换而言之,就是要将设备问题与 人的问题分开来谈
categorize:vt.分类;
I find a lot of people have difficulty doing that. 但我发现很多人都没有掌握这一点
Now, let's say I figure out it's an equipment problem. 比方说,这是个设备的问题
Is it a minor problem, with something simple I can fix? 那么它是一个小问题,用简单的工具就能解决呢
minor:adj.未成年的; n.未成年人; vi.副修;
Or is the whole design of the system wrong? 还是整个系统的设计问题?
People have a hard time figuring that out. 但人们往往就很难找到答案
Let's just look at something like, you know, solving problems with making airlines safer. 我们不妨看一个具体的问题 比如如何让飞行变得更加安全
airlines:n.航空公司(airline的复数);航空业;
Yeah, I'm a million mile flier . 没错,我自己就经常要坐飞机
flier:n.飞行员;飞机乘客;小广告;
I do lots and lots of flying, and if I was at the FAA, what would I be doing a lot of direct observation of? 我飞过的里程超过一百万英里 假如我是在法国航空联盟 我会特别留意去观察什么呢?
observation:n.观察;观测;监视;(尤指据所见、所闻、所读而作的)评论;
It would be their airplane tails. 我会看他们的飞机机尾
airplane:n.飞机;
You know, five fatal wrecks in the last 20 years, the tail either came off or steering stuff inside the tail broke in some way. 过去20年里发生了5次带来严重生命损害的坠机事故 要么是机尾断落,要么是机尾内部的一些控制装置失灵 具体形式各不一样
fatal:adj.致命的;灾难性的;毁灭性的;导致失败的; wrecks:n.严重损毁人或物; v.破坏; (wreck的第三人称单数和复数) steering:n.(车辆等的)转向装置;v.驾驶;掌控方向盘;行驶;控制(steer的现在分词)
It's tails, pure and simple . 飞机机尾本来很简单
pure and simple:十足的,完全的;
And when the pilots walk around the plane, guess what? They can't see that stuff inside the tail. 但是飞行员却没有注意到机尾里面 有些什么东西啊
You know, now as I think about that, 看到没有,我在讲述这个的时候,我会
I'm pulling up all of that specific information. 拿出最细致的数据
It's specific. So, you see, my thinking is bottom-up . 非常的精细。大家可以看到,我的思考是自小往上的
bottom-up:adj.[计]自底向上的;从细节到总体的;
I take all the little pieces and I put the pieces together like a puzzle . 我会收集所有的部件,而后像拼图一样将其拼起来
puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑;
Now, here is a horse that was deathly afraid of black cowboy hats. 这匹马是非常害怕 黑色的牛仔帽的
deathly:adj.死一般的;致命的;adv.死了一样地;非常;
He'd been abused by somebody with a black cowboy hat . 因为它曾经被一个戴黑色牛仔帽的骑手虐待过
cowboy hat:n.(美国牛仔戴的)牛仔帽;
White cowboy hats, that was absolutely fine. 而对于白色的牛仔帽,它就感觉很自然
Now, the thing is, the world is going to need all of the different kinds of minds to work together. 事实上,我们这个世界需要 各种各样的心智 需要不同的人开展合作
We've got to work on developing all these kinds of minds. 我们必须培养不同的心智
And one of the things that is driving me really crazy, as I travel around and I do autism meetings, is I'm seeing a lot of smart geeky nerdy kids. 其中有一件事让我感到最为不安 我经常去参加一些自闭症的会议 我看到很多聪明的自闭症孩子
geeky:adj.(俚)令人讨厌的; nerdy:adj.书呆子式的;n.令人厌烦的人;
And they just aren't very social. 他们不善社交
And nobody is working on developing their interest in something like science. 也没有人去启发他们发展他们的兴趣 比如在科学方面的兴趣
And this brings up the whole thing of my science teacher. 这就让我想到我的科学老师
My science teacher is shown absolutely beautifully in the movie. 在电影里,我的老师的形象太美丽了
I was a goof-ball student. When I was in high school 我上中学的时候是很捣蛋的
I just didn't care at all about studying, until I had Mr. Carlock's science class. 根本就不思学业 直到我遇到了Carlock先生的科学课
He who is now Dr. Carlock in the movie. 在电影里,他就是 Carlock 博士
And he got me challenged to figure out an optical illusion room. 因为他把我带到一个 充满视觉虚幻的房间
optical illusion:n.视错觉;错视;视觉幻象;
This brings up the whole thing of you've got to show kids interesting stuff. 这就是说,我们需要把那些有趣的东西带给这些 自闭症的孩子
You know, one of the things that I think maybe TED ought to do is tell all the schools about all the great lectures that are on TED, and there is all kinds of great stuff on the internet, to get these kids turned on. 我想,有一件事TED也许可以做到 那就是告诉所有的学校,在TED这里有那么多精彩的演讲 在互联网上有那么多精彩的东西 这些东西都有可能激起这些孩子的兴趣啊
Because I'm seeing a lot of these geeky nerdy kids, and the teachers out in the midwest , and the other parts of the country, when you get away from these tech areas, they don't know what to do with these kids. 因为我经常在美国中西部以及其他地方 看到这些很机灵又很古怪的孩子 那些地方远离高科技区 那里的老师不知道该怎么教导孩子
midwest:n.美国的中西部;
And they are not going down the right path. 而且他们现在所走的路正好是错误的
The thing is, you can make a mind to be more of a thinking and cognitive mind. 有一个不争的事实是,你可以 让每一个孩子变得更加爱思考
cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的;
Or your mind can be wired to be more social. 也可以让孩子变得更加合群
And what some of the research has shown now in autism, is there may by extra wiring back here, in the really brilliant mind, and we lose a few social circuits here. 现在有些关于自闭症的研究显示 那些非常出众的人脑中也许有着 更多的连线,只是少了一点社交的线路
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: circuits:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;(circuit的第三人称单数和复数)
It's kind of a trade off between thinking and social. 也许两者是此消彼长吧
And then you can get into the point where it's so severe you're going to have a person that's going to be non-verbal. 假如到了极端的话 那个人也许就变成不会说话了
In the normal human mind language covers up the visual thinking we share with animals. 在正常人的大脑里 语言的区域是覆盖了视觉的区域的,后者我们跟动物一样享有
This is the work of Dr. Bruce Miller . 这是 Bruce Miller 博士的论文
Miller:n.磨坊主;磨坊工人;
And he studied Alzheimer's patients that had frontal temporal lobe dementia . 他专门研究老年痴呆症患者 中的额颞叶痴呆症患者
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) frontal:adj.额的;正面的,前面的;n.额骨,额部;房屋的正面; temporal:adj.暂时的;当时的;现世的;n.世间万物;暂存的事物; lobe:n.(脑,肺等的)叶;裂片;耳垂;波瓣; dementia:n.[内科]痴呆;
And the dementia ate out the language parts of the brain, and this artwork came out of somebody who used to install stereos in cars. 这些患者他们的语言区域是被吞噬的 这是一副画的作者以前的工作是在车里安装了音响设备
install:v.安装;设置;安置;建立(程序); stereos:n.立体声;立体声系统;铅版;立体照片;adj.立体的;立体声的;立体感觉的;
Now, Van Gogh doesn't know anything about physics. 凡高并不懂得物理
Van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运;
But I think it's very interesting that there was some work done to show that this eddy pattern in this painting followed a statistical model of turbulence . 但非常有趣的是 有研究表明 在这幅画里的这些起伏的图案 它实际上是跟湍流的一种统计模型非常像的
eddy:n.涡流;漩涡;逆流;vi.旋转;起漩涡;vt.使…起漩涡; statistical:adj.统计的;统计学的; turbulence:n.骚乱,动荡;[流]湍流;狂暴;
Which brings up the whole interesting idea of maybe some of this mathematical patterns is in our own head. 这就带出一个非常有趣的说法 也许这样的数学模型 就在我们的脑中
mathematical:adj.数学的,数学上的;精确的;
And the Wolfram stuff I was taking notes and I was writing down all the search words I could use because I think that's going to go on in my autism lectures. 刚才 Wolfram 在这里演示的时候 我一直在写笔记 并且记下了那些搜索的关键词 因为我想到以后关于自闭症的演讲上会用得到
Wolfram:n.[化学]钨(金属元素,符号W);钨锰铁矿;
We've got to show these kids interesting stuff. 我们必须给这些孩子看有趣的东西
And they've taken out the autoshop class and the drafting class, and the art class. 可惜的是,这些学校竟然将手工课程 绘画以及艺术课程都取消了
drafting:n.起草;制图;v.起草;草拟;选派;抽调;(draft的现在分词)
I mean art was my best subject in school. 我记得我上学的时候,美术是我最喜欢的
We've got to think about all these different kinds of minds. 我们必须要考虑到这么多不同类型的心智
And we've got to absolutely work with these kind of minds, because we absolutely are going to need these kind of people in the future. 并且与他们一道解决他们的问题 因为我们未来 非常需要这样的人才
And let's talk about jobs. 好吧,我们再讲讲工作
Okay, my science teacher got me studying because I was a goof-ball that didn't want to study. 我的科学老师他有办法让我学习 虽然那时候我是个捣蛋鬼也不爱学习
But you know what? I was getting work experience . 但你知道吗?我在课堂之外却增长了不少工作经验呢
work experience:n.工作经历;(学生)实习;
I'm seeing too many of these smart kids who haven't learned basic things, like how to be on time. 我今天看到许多聪明的孩子竟然连一些基本的东西也没有学会 比如守时
I was taught that when I was eight years old. 我八岁的时候就学会了这个
You know, how to have table manners at granny's Sunday party. 还有礼拜天在祖母家的时要怎样有礼貌
table manners:n.餐桌规矩;进餐礼节;
I was taught that when I was very very young. 这些是很小很小的时候家里人就教会我的
And when I was 13 I had a job at a dressmaker's shop sewing clothes. 13岁的时候,我在一家成衣工厂获得一份工作 我负责卖衣服
sewing:n.缝纫;缝制中的衣物;v.缝;做针线活;缝制;缝补;(sew的现在分词)
I did internships in college. 我还到大学里做实习
internships:n.实习(internship的复数);见习;
I was building things. 还有是制作东西
And I also had to learn how to do assignments . 也学会做作业
assignments:n.作业;分配;(assignment的复数形式)
You know, all I wanted to do was draw pictures of horses when I was little. 当我很小的时候,我就只是想画马
My mother said, "Well let's do a picture of something else." 母亲说,“我们画点别的东西吧”
They've got to learn how to do something else. 自闭症的孩子是必须学会做别的东西的
Let's say the kid is fixated on Legos . 比方说这个孩子就喜欢玩Legos的积木
fixated:adj.念念不忘的;稳固关系的;v.使固定下来;注视(fixate的过去分词); Legos:n.乐高玩具(德国一个积木玩具品牌);
Let's get him working on building different things. 那我们可以让他去制作不同的东西
The thing about the autistic mind is it tends to be fixated. 自闭症有这样一个特点 就是这些人的心智往往就只是盯住一点
Like if a kid loves race cars, let's use race cars for math. 比如一个孩子喜欢玩赛车 那我们可以用赛车来教会孩子数学
Let's figure out how long it takes a race car to go a certain distance. 让我们教会孩子计算赛车走某一段路所用的时间
In other words, use that fixation in order to motivate that kid, that's one of the things we need to do. 换句话说, 就是用孩子的专注来启发他。这是我们必须做的事情之一
fixation:n.固定;定位;定影; motivate:v.激励;激发;成为…的动机;是…的原因;
I really get fed up when they, you know, the teachers, especially when you get away from this part of the country, they don't know what to do with these smart kids. 当我看到那些老师 ——特别是当我去到那些非科技密集城市的时候 ——那里的老师不知道怎么教这些孩子
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
It just drives me crazy. 这些让我非常不安
What can visual thinkers do when they grow up? 这些视觉思考者长大后可以做什么呢
They can do graphic design, all kinds of stuff with computers, photography , industrial design. 他们可以做图像设计,可以做很多与计算机相关的职业 比如摄影、工业设计
graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的; photography:n.摄影;摄影术; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票;
The pattern thinkers, they're the ones that are going to be your mathematicians , your software engineers, your computer programmers, all of those kinds of jobs. 而那些模式思考者 则有可能成为数学家、软件工程师 程序员以及相关的此类工作
mathematicians:n.[数]数学家(mathematician的复数形式);
And then you've got the word minds. They make great journalists . 还有就是那些言语思考者,他们可以成为记者
journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数);
And they also make really really good stage actors. 还可以成为杰出的演员
Because the thing about being autistic is, 作为自闭症患者
I had to learn social skills like being in a play. 我需要学习如何在玩耍中跟别人相处
It's just kind of, you just have to learn it. 这就是我要学习的东西
And we need to be working with these students. 我们必须让带动这些学生
And this brings up mentors . 这就讲到了导师的问题
mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数);
You know, my science teacher was not an accredited teacher. 我的科学老师不是一个合资格的教师
accredited:adj.官方认可的; v.把…归于; (accredit的过去分词和过去式)
He was a NASA space scientist. 他是一个太空署的科学家
Now, some states now are getting it to where if you have a degree in biology , or a degree in chemistry, you can come into the school and teach biology or chemistry. 现在美国有些周这样规定 假如你有生物学或化学某个程度的学位 你就可以去到中小学教生物或化学
biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
We need to be doing that. 我们需要将科学家们这么做
Because what I'm observing is the good teachers, for a lot of these kids, are out in the community colleges. 我观察到 那些好的老师 很多都去了社区大学
observing:adj.观察的;注意的;观察力敏锐的;v.观察;遵守(observe的现在分词); community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
We need to be getting some of these good teachers into the high schools. 而我们需要鼓励一部分这样的老师去到中学
Another thing, that can be very, very very successful is, there is a lot of people that may have retired from working in the software industry, and they can teach your kid. 还有就是我们国家有很多很多从软件行业退休的人 他们可以教孩子 并且将会是非常非常成功的
And it doesn't matter if what they teach them is old, because what you are doing is you are lighting the spark . 即使他们教的内容是陈旧的 重要的是,他们在开启孩子的心智
spark:n.火花;电火花;火星;活力;v.引发;触发;冒火花;飞火星;
You're getting that kid turned on. 他们可以为孩子打开崭新的世界
And you get him turned on, then he'll learn all the new stuff. 孩子知道世界如此精彩之后,他们就会主动的去学习新的东西
Mentors are just essential . 所以说,导师是至关重要的
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
I can not emphasize enough what my science teacher did for me. 这话再强调也不为过 我最值得感谢的就是我的导师
And we've got to mentor them, hire them. 这些孩子也需要这样的导师,我们需要招募这类人
And if you bring them in for internships in your companies, the thing about the autism, Aspergery kind of mind, you've got to give them a specific task. Don't just say, "Design new software." 假如你的公司招聘一些 有自闭症的孩子来实习 你要给他们安排具体的工作,不要说,给我做个软件
You've got to tell them something a lot more specific. 你要把需求的细节说清楚
'"Well, we're designing a software for a phone and it has to do some specific thing. “我们正在设计一款手机软件 我们需要这些功能
And it can only use so much memory." 并且我们的手机内存只有这么多。”
That's the kind of specificity you need. 需要这样的细化
specificity:n.[免疫]特异性;特征;专一性;
Well, that's the end of my talk. 好,我的演讲就到此结束了
And I just want to thank everybody for coming. 感谢大家参与
It was great to be here. 来到这里我感到非常高兴
(Applause) (掌声)
Oh, you've got a question for me? Okay. 噢,你有问题吗?好吧
(Applause) (掌声)
Chris Anderson: Thank you so much for that. 安德森:非常感谢您的分享
You know, you once wrote, I like this quote , "If by some magic, autism had been eradicated from the face of the Earth, then men would still be socializing in front of a wood fire at the entrance to a cave." 记得你曾经这么写过,我非常喜欢这句话 “假如有一天,自闭症可以 借助神力从地球上消失 人类还是会在洞穴入口处 进行篝火聚会。”
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; eradicated:adj.画着根的;v.摆脱;擦掉;连根拔起(eradicate的过去分词); socializing:v.交往,交际;使适应社会;使社会主义化;(socialize的现在分词)
Temple Grandin: Because who do you think made the first stone spears? 坦普·葛兰丁:你认为是谁制作了第一件的石矛?
The Asperger guy. And if you were to get rid of all the autism genetics there would be no more Silicon Valley, and the energy crisis would not be solved. 是一个自闭症的男人。假如所有的自闭症基因都消失了 也许就不会有硅谷了 能源危机也不可能获得解决
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
(Applause) (掌声)
CA: So, I wanted to ask you a couple other questions. 安德森:我还想问几个问题
And if any of these feel inappropriate it's okay just to say, "Next question." 假如你觉得它们不合适,你可以不回答 你可以直接说“下一个”
inappropriate:adj.不适当的;不相称的;
But if there is someone here who has an autistic child, or knows an autistic child and feels kind of cut off from them, what advice would you give them? 假如这里有人的孩子是 有自闭症的 或者他们认识这样的孩子 并且感到自己跟孩子有一段鸿沟 你会给他们什么建议?
TG: Well, first of all , you've got to look at age. 葛兰丁:首先你得看年龄
first of all:adv.首先;
If you have a two, three, or four year old you know, no speech, no social interaction , 假如是两到四岁的话 并且他们不会讲话不会与人打交道
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
I can't emphasize enough, don't wait, you need at least 20 hours a week of one to one teaching. 那我认为必须每周花20个小时进行一对一的训练 这点是决定必要的
You know, the thing is, autism comes in different degrees. 因为自闭症也是分不同程度的
There is going to be about half the people on the spectrum that are not going to learn to talk, and they're not going to be working 有一半人他们可能不会说话 他们也许不会到硅谷工作
Silicon Valley, that would not be a reasonable thing for them to do. 因为那对于他们而言也不甚合适
reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的;
But then you get the smart geeky kids that have a touch of autism, and that's where you've got to get them turned on with doing interesting things. 但是对于那些非常聪明的孩子 他们同时又有自闭症 你就必须唤起他们的兴趣 让他们做有趣的事情
I got social interaction through shared interest. 因为我跟别人有共同的兴趣,我就可以跟别人有接触
I rode horses with other kids. I made model rockets with other kids, did electronics lab with other kids, and in the '60s it was gluing mirrors onto a rubber membrane on a speaker to make a light show . 可以跟别的孩子一起骑马,跟别的孩子一起制作火箭模型 跟他们一起制作电子实验室 在1960年代,那就是 在橡胶模上粘上镜子,放到扩音器上,就开始我们的灯光秀
electronics:n.电子学;电子工业; gluing:n.粘合;胶合; rubber:n.橡胶;橡皮;v.涂橡胶于…; membrane:n.膜;薄膜;羊皮纸; light show:n.(流行音乐会等的)灯光变幻表演;
That was like, we considered that super cool. 我们那时候认为这是非常酷的
CA: Is it unrealistic for them to hope or think that that child loves them, as some might, as most, wish. 安德森:对于家长来说 他们希望或者认为自己的孩子也许能够爱他们 这是不是比较不现实?
unrealistic:adj.不切实际的;不实在的;
TG: Well let me tell you, that child will be loyal . 葛兰丁:假如家长这么做,孩子会变得很孝顺
loyal:adj.忠诚的,忠心的;忠贞的;n.效忠的臣民;忠实信徒;
And if your house is burning down they're going to get you out of it. 假如家里着火了,他们会把你救出来
CA: Wow. So, most people, if you ask them what are they most passionate about, they'd say things like, "My kids" or "My lover ." 安德森:我跟很多人聊天 当我问及“你对什么最有热情”这个问题的时候 他们说是我的孩子以及我的爱人
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的; lover:n.爱好者;情侣;热爱者;
What are you most passionate about? 你对什么最为热情呢?
TG: I'm passionate about that the things I do are going to make the world a better place. 葛兰丁:我对于我所做的事情感到十分热情 并且希望这些事情可以让世界变得更美好
When I have a mother of an autistic child say, "My kid went to college because of your book, or one of your lectures" That makes me happy. 当我听到有母亲说 “我的孩子现在上大学了,多亏你的书呢 多亏你的讲座呢。”这是我最开心的时刻
You know, the slaughter plants, I've worked with them in the '80s; they were absolutely awful. 在80年代我在屠宰场工作的时候 那里非常的糟糕
I developed a really simple scoring system for slaughter plants where you just measure outcomes , how many cattle fell down, how many cattle got poked with the prodder, how many cattle are mooing their heads off? 我开发了一个非常简单的记分工具 只需计算产出,如有多少的牛跌倒了 多少的牛被赶牛棒子捅过 有多少牛哞哞叫个不停
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数) poked:v.捅,杵;推;捅;戳;探;伸出;探出(poke的过去分词和过去式) mooing:vi.发出哞哞声;n.牛叫声;
And it's very very simple. 非常非常简单
You directly observe a few simple things. 就只关注一些很小的事情
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视;
It's worked really well. I get satisfaction out of seeing stuff that makes real change in the real world. We need a lot more of that, and a lot less abstract stuff. 并且运作的相当好 看到事情发生实际的改变,我心里非常高兴 我们需要更多这样简单的东西 而不是抽象的东西
satisfaction:n.满意,满足;赔偿;乐事;赎罪;
(Applause) (掌声)
CA: When we were talking on the phone, one of the things you said that really astonished me was you said one thing you were passionate about was server farms. Tell me about that. 安德森:我们电话里聊的时候 你讲到的一个事情让我感到很惊讶 因为你说你有热情的是服务器农场。能详细说一下吗?
astonished:adj.吃惊的;
TG: Well the reason I got really excited when I read about that it contains knowledge. 葛兰丁:因为我知道那里 蕴含了知识
It's libraries. 它就是图书馆
And to me knowledge is something that is extremely valuable . So, maybe, over 10 years ago now our library got flooded. 对我来说,知识就是 非常宝贵的一种东西 也许十年后我们的图书馆会变得非常大
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品;
And this is before the internet got really big. 那还是互联网尚未急剧增长的时候
And I was really upset about all the books being wrecked , because it was knowledge being destroyed. 每当我看到有人损毁书籍的时候 我都会感到非常的愤怒,因为那就是知识啊
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱; wrecked:adj.失事的; v.破坏;
And server farms, or data centers are great libraries of knowledge. 而服务器农场或数据中心 就是巨大的知识图书馆
CA: Temple, can I just say it's an absolute delight to have you at TED. 安德森:坦普女士,我们有幸邀请到您来TED,真的十分高兴
delight:n.高兴;vi.高兴;vt.使高兴;
TG: Well thank you so much. Thank you. 葛兰丁:谢谢。谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)