|
|
TaylorWilson_2012-_没错_我制造了一个核聚变发生器_
|
So my name is Taylor Wilson. |
我叫泰勒 威尔逊, |
I am 17 years old and I am a nuclear physicist , which may be a little hard to believe, but I am. |
今年17岁, 我是一名核物理学家, 可能你们很难相信,但我确实是。 |
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; physicist:n.物理学家;物理学研究者;
|
And I would like to make the case that nuclear fusion will be that point, that the bridge that T. Boone Pickens talked about will get us to. |
我想说 核聚变 就是那个 布恩 皮肯斯(他的TED演讲里)谈到 能引领我们前进的桥。 |
nuclear fusion:na.核聚变;核融合;"atomicfusion"的变体;
|
So nuclear fusion is our energy future. |
核聚变就是未来的能源。 |
And the second point, making the case that kids can really change the world. |
第二点就是 孩子能改变世界。 |
So you may ask -- |
你可能会问 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
You may ask me, well how do you know what our energy future is? |
你可能会问我, 你怎么知道未来的能源是什么? |
Well I built a fusion reactor when I was 14 years old. |
我14岁的时候造了一个核聚变反应堆, 我14岁的时候造了一个核聚变反应堆, |
reactor:n.[化工]反应器;[核]反应堆;起反应的人;
|
That is the inside of my nuclear fusion reactor. |
这是里面的构造。 |
I started building this project when I was about 12 or 13 years old. |
我开始这项工程时, 那是我12,13岁的时候。 |
I decided I wanted to make a star. |
我决定我要造个星星出来。 |
Now most of you are probably saying, well there's no such thing as nuclear fusion. |
你们可能会说, 现在没有实用的核聚变 |
I don't see any nuclear power plants with fusion energy. |
我没看到过有核发电站采用核聚变。 |
nuclear power:na.核大国;
|
Well it doesn't break even . |
确实是这样。 |
break even:adj.收支平衡的;
|
It doesn't produce more energy out than I put in, but it still does some pretty cool stuff . |
它并没有产生多于我放进去的能量, 但是确实产生了一些有趣的事情。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
And I assembled this in my garage , and it now lives in the physics department of the University of Nevada, Reno . |
我在我的车库里组装起来, 现在它在内华达大学雷诺分校 的物理系。 |
assembled:v.聚集;集合;收集;装配;组装;(assemble的过去分词和过去式) garage:n.车库;汽车修理厂;飞机库;v.把…送入车库;把(汽车)开进车库; Reno:n.里诺(美国一城市名,著名的"离婚城市");
|
And it slams together deuterium , which is just hydrogen with an extra neutron in it. |
结合起来我们就得到了氘, 氘其实就是氢和多余的一个中子在里面 |
slams:砰然声;批评,猛击; deuterium:n.[核]氘;[核]重氢; hydrogen:n.氢;氢气; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: neutron:n.[核]中子;
|
So this is similar to the reaction of the proton chain that's going on inside the Sun. |
因此这个跟在太阳里面的质子链 那个反应很像 |
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; proton:n.[物]质子;
|
And I'm slamming it together so hard that that hydrogen fuses together, and in the process it has some byproducts , and I utilize those byproducts. |
而且我在很用力地把他们结合在一起 当氢原子结合在一起的时候 会有一些附属品产生 而我就利用了这些附属品 |
slamming:v.(使…)砰地关上;使劲一推;猛烈抨击;(slam的现在分词) fuses:n.[电]保险丝; v.熔化; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; byproducts:n.副产品; utilize:v.利用;运用;使用;应用;
|
So this previous year, |
因此上一年 |
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
|
I won the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. |
我赢下了国际科学以及工程大会活动的第一名 |
Intel:n.美国英特尔公司(财富500强公司之一,以生产CPU芯片著称); Engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词)
|
I developed a detector that replaces the current detectors that Homeland Security has. |
我创造一个取代目前国家安全局 使用的探测器 |
detectors:n.探测器;侦测设备(detector的复数); Homeland Security:n.国土安全(美国防止恐怖袭击的行动及机构);
|
For hundreds of dollars, |
花了几千美金 |
I've developed a system that exceeds the sensitivity of detectors that are hundreds of thousands of dollars. |
我创建了一个比花了几十万美金还敏感的 的探测器 |
exceeds:v.超过;胜过; sensitivity:n.敏感;敏感性;过敏;
|
I built this in my garage. |
我在我的车库建造出来的这个东西 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And I've developed a system to produce medical isotopes . |
而且我创建了一个系统 去生产医用的同位素 |
isotopes:n.[核]同位素(isotope的复数);核素;
|
Instead of requiring multi-million-dollar facilities |
与其要求上百万美金的设备 |
facilities:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;(facility的复数)
|
I've developed a device that, on a very small scale , can produce these isotopes. |
我自己在很小规模上创建一个 可以生产这些同位素的设备 |
device:n.装置;策略;图案; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
So that's my fusion reactor in the background there. |
你们现在在这个背景上看到就是我们核聚变发生器 |
That is me at the control panel of my fusion reactor. |
我在这个发生器的 控制板旁边 |
panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰);
|
Oh, by the way , I make yellowcake in my garage, so my nuclear program is as advanced as the Iranians . |
对了,我在我的车库做黄色蛋糕呢 因此我们核系统跟伊朗人一样先进 |
by the way:顺便说一下; yellowcake:n.黄饼(核反应燃料重铀酸铵或重铀酸钠的俗称); advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) Iranians:n.伊朗人(Iranian的复数形式);
|
So maybe I don't want to admit to that. |
因此我不太想承认 |
This is me at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, which is the preeminent particle physics laboratory in the world. |
这是我在CERN,是在瑞士的日内瓦 CERN是世界上最杰出的量子物理实验室 |
preeminent:adj.卓越的;超群的; particle:n.颗粒;[物]质点;极小量;小品词; laboratory:n.实验室,研究室;
|
And this is me with President Obama, showing him my Homeland Security research. |
这是我和总统奥巴马 给他展现我的国土安全的研究 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
So in about seven years of doing nuclear research, |
因此呢在这做核试验 的十年时间 |
I started out with a dream to make a "star in a jar," a star in my garage, and I ended up meeting the president and developing things that I think can change the world, and I think other kids can too. |
我有了一个梦想 我想创建一个“在瓶子中的星星”,一个在我车库里的星星 因此我最后和总统见面了 然后创建一些可以改变世界的东西 而且我希望其他人也可以这样做 |
So thank you very much. |
非常感谢 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |