返回首页

TaraHouska_2017W-_立岩抗争及我们为原住民族权利所打的仗_

[Ojibwe: Hello. (奥杰布瓦语)你们好!
My English name is Tara; my Native name is Zhaabowekwe. 我的英文名字是塔拉, 族语名字是札宝威奎。
Native:adj.本国的;土著的;天然的;与生俱来的;天赋的;n.本地人;土产;当地居民;
I am of Couchiching First Nation; my clan is bear. 我是庫契钦第一民族中的熊族,
clan:n.家族;庞大的家族;宗派;帮派;
I was born under the Maple Sapping Moon.] 我在春天的第一个满月 (楓糖月)时出生。
Maple:n.枫树;淡棕色; Sapping:n.挖掘;下切;基蚀;v.使排出汁液;使成边材(sap的ing形式);
My name is Tara Houska, (英语)我叫塔拉.豪斯卡,
I'm bear clan from Couchiching First Nation, 我是庫契钦第一民族中的熊族,
I was born under the Maple Sapping Moon in International Falls, Minnesota , and I'm happy to be here with all of you. 我在春天的第一个满月时 出生于明尼苏达国际瀑布城。 很开心能与你们齐聚一堂。
Minnesota:n.明尼苏达州(美国中北部洲);
(Applause) (掌声)
Trauma of indigenous peoples has trickled through the generations. 原住民族的创伤 已经流淌过了数个世代,
Trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤; indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的; trickled:vi.滴;细细地流;慢慢地移动;vt.使…滴;使…淌;使…细细地流;n.滴,淌;细流;
Centuries of oppression , of isolation, of invisibility , have led to a muddled understanding of who we are today. 几世纪以来的压迫、孤立与忽视, 造成现今族群认同的迷惘。
oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼; invisibility:n.看不见;看不见的东西;难看见; muddled:adj.糊涂的;混乱的;头脑昏昏然的;v.使一团糟(muddle的过去分词);
In 2017, we face this mixture of Indians in headdresses going across the plains but also the drunk sitting on a porch somewhere you never heard of, living off government handouts and casino money. 到了 2017 年, 我们看到了印第安头饰的混用 传遍美洲大平原; 但同时,在你从未听过的地方, 也有人醉倒在门廊上, 靠着政府补助和赌博赚来的钱维生。
mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体; headdresses:n.头发编梳的式样;饰头巾; porch:n.门廊;走廊; handouts:n.讲义;宣传册子,宣传品(handout的复数形式);
(Sighs) (叹气)
It's really, really hard. 这是一件非常、非常棘手的事。
It's very, very difficult to be in these shoes, to stand here as a product of genocide survival , of genocide. 这对我而言非常艰难, 尤其身为原住民族的一份子、 身为种族屠杀幸存者的产物, 站在这里,很不容易。
genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
We face this constant barrage of unteaching the accepted narrative . 我们不断受到认知被扭曲的轰炸,
barrage:n.弹幕; vt.以密集炮火进攻; vi.以密集火力阻击; unteaching:v.使忘记[抛弃](学过的东西); (unteach的现在分词); narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的;
87 percent of references in textbooks, children's textbooks, to Native Americans are pre-1900s. 教科书、学童用书中 提及美国原住民族的部分, 87% 来自二十世纪以前的资料。
references:n.提到; v.查阅; (reference的第三人称单数和复数)
Only half of the US states mention more than a single tribe , and just four states mention the boarding-school era , the era that was responsible for my grandmother and her brothers and sisters having their language and culture beaten out of them. 美国各州中,只有一半 会提及一个以上的部落; 只有四个州,提及寄宿学校时代, 这个时代,造成我的祖母、 她的兄弟姐妹 被迫失去了他们的语言及文化。
tribe:n.部落;族;宗族;一伙; era:n.新时期;纪元;年代;新时代; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
When you aren't viewed as real people, it's a lot easier to run over your rights. 当你不被当成真正的人来看待, 他们要践踏你的权利, 就变得非常容易。
Four years ago, I moved to Washington, DC. 四年前,我搬到华盛顿特区。
I had finished school and I was there to be a tribal attorney and represent tribes across the nation, representing on the Hill, and I saw immediately why racist imagery matters. 那时,我完成学業, 到那里去当部落律师, 代表全国各地的部落, 在国会山庄担任代表, 我随即明白为何种族意象事关重大。
tribal:adj.部落的;部族的;n.(尤指南亚的)部落成员; attorney:n.律师(尤指代表当事人出庭者);(业务或法律事务上的)代理人; representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词) racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的; imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化;
I moved there during football season, of all times. 我搬到那里时,正值美式足球季,
And so it was the daily slew of Indian heads and this " redskin " slur everywhere, while my job was going up on the Hill and trying to lobby for hospitals, for funding for schools, for basic government services, and being told again and again that Indian people were incapable of managing our own affairs. 每天都有很多印第安人的头, (注:华盛顿是红人队) 到处充斥着「红皮肤」这个辱称。 而我的工作是要去国会山庄, 为医院、学校资金、基础政府服务 进行游说。 我一再被告知: 印第安人没有能力管理自己的事务。
slew:n.回转; vi.扭转; vt.使扭转; v.杀害(slay的过去式); redskin:n.北美印第安人; slur:v.诽谤;诋毁;污辱;连奏;n.诋毁;诽谤;污辱;连唱线; lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府); funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) again and again:adv.再三地,反复地; incapable:adj.不能的;无能力的;不能胜任的;
When you aren't viewed as real people, it's a lot easier to run over your rights. 当你不被当真正的人看待, 他们要践踏你的权利, 就变得非常容易。
And last August, I went out to Standing Rock Sioux Reservation . 去年八月,我去了立岩地区 苏族印第安原住民保留地,
Sioux:adj.苏人的;苏语的;n.苏族(印第安人的一族,自称达科他Dakota族); Reservation:n.预约,预订;保留;
I saw resistance happening. 我亲眼看到反抗行动,
resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力;
We were standing up. 我们站起来了。
There were youth that had run 2,000 miles from Cannonball , North Dakota all the way out to Washington, DC, with a message for President Obama: "Please intervene . 有年轻人跑了两千英哩路, 从坎农博尔、北达科他, 一路到华盛顿特区, 将讯息带给欧巴马总统: 「请介入,
Cannonball:n.炮弹; Dakota:n.达科他(美国过去一地区名,现分为南,北达科他州);adj.达科他人的; intervene:vi.干涉;调停;插入;
Please do something. 请做点什么,
Help us." 幫助我们。」
And I went out, and I heard the call, and so did thousands of people around the world. 我走出去,我听见了呼喊, 全世界数以千计的人也听见了。
Why did this resonate with so many people? 为什么这么多人会对此产生共鸣?
resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
Indigenous peoples are impacted first and worst by climate change. 原住民族是最先受到气候变迁影响, 且影响最大的族群;
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词);
We are impacted first and worst by the fossil-fuel industry. 我们是最先受到化石燃料产業影响, 且影响最大的族群。
Here in Louisiana , the first US climate change refugees exist. 美国首批气候变迁难民 就在这里,路易斯安那州,
Louisiana:n.美国路易斯安那州; refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数)
They are Native people being pushed off their homelands from rising sea levels. 他们是原住民族人, 因为海平面上升,被迫离开家园;
That's our reality, that's what we live. 这就是我们的现实、我们的生活。
And with these projects comes a slew of human costs that people don't think about: thousands of workers influxing to build these pipelines, to build and extract from the earth, bringing crime and sex trafficking and violence with them. 这些计画带来了大量的人力成本, 大家却没去思考: 数以千计的工人涌入, 来建造这些管线, 来建造、抽取地下资源, 他们同时带来了犯罪、 性交易、暴力。
extract:v.提取;取出;摘录;榨取;n.汁;摘录;榨出物;选粹; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
Missing and murdered indigenous women in Canada has become so significant it's spawned a movement and a national inquiry . 在加拿大,失踪、 遭受谋杀的原住民族女性 实在太多了, 人们因此发起抗议 及全国性的调查行动。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; spawned:v.产卵;引发;引起;导致;造成;(spawn的过去分词和过去式) inquiry:n.询问;查询;打听;调查;
Thousands of Native women who have disappeared , who have been murdered. 有数以千计的原住民族女性失踪、 遭受谋杀。
disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
And here in the US, we don't even track that. 在美国,我们甚至不会去追究,
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
We are instead left with an understanding that our Supreme Court , the United States Supreme Court , stripped us, in 1978, of the right to prosecute at the same rate as anywhere else in the United States. 我们得到的反而是: 我们的最高法院,美国最高法院, 在 1978 年夺去了我们的权利, 让我们无法和美国其他地方 有一样的起诉率。
Supreme Court:最高法院; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) stripped:adj.剥去的;v.剥夺;脱衣;把…剪成条状;(strip的过去式和过去分词) prosecute:vt.检举;贯彻;从事;依法进行;vi.起诉;告发;作检察官;
So as a non-Native person you can walk onto a reservation and rape someone and that tribe is without the same level of prosecutorial ability as everywhere else, and the Federal Government declines these cases 40 percent of the time. 因此,一个非原住民者 大可以到保留区里、强暴某个人, 而那个部落并没有 和其他地方相同的起诉权利, 且 40% 的案子会被联邦政府拒绝;
non-Native:adj.非本地;非原生;n.外乡人; rape:n.强奸罪;强奸案;v.强奸;强暴; prosecutorial:adj.原告的;公诉人的; Federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; declines:vi.下降;衰退;拒绝(decline的第三人称单数);
It used to be 76 percent of the time. 以前是 76% 的机率。
One in three Native women are raped in her lifetime. 三分之一的原住民族女性, 在一生中有遭受强暴的经验。
raped:v.强奸;强暴(rape的过去分词和过去式)
One in three. 三个人当中就有一个。
But in Standing Rock, you could feel the energy in the air. 但在立岩地区, 你可以感觉到空气中的能量,
You could feel the resistance happening. 你可以感觉到抵抗正在发生。
People were standing and saying, "No more. 大家站出来说:「到此为止,
Enough is enough . 已经够了。
Enough is enough:够了;适可而止;
We will put our bodies in front of the machines to stop this project from happening. 我们会以肉身阻挡机器, 来阻止这个计画实现。
Our lives matter. 我们的生命非常重要,
Our children's lives matter." 我们孩子的生命非常重要。」
And thousands of allies came to stand with us from around the world. 全世界数以千计的盟友 前来和我们并肩作战,
allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数)
It was incredible , it was incredible to stand together, united as one. 那很不可思议。站在一起、 同心协力的感觉,很不可思议。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
(Applause) (掌声)
In my time there, 我在那里的时候,
I saw Natives being chased on horseback by police officers shooting at them, history playing out in front of my eyes. 我看到原住民族人 骑在马背上,被警察开枪追赶。 历史就在我眼前上演。
Natives:土著;本地的;本地人;[生物]土著的;土生动植物; horseback:n.马背;峻峭的山脊;adv.在马背上;adj.性急的;草率的;未经充分考虑的;
I myself was put into a dog kennel when I was arrested. 我自己被逮捕的时候, 被丢到狗笼里,
kennel:n.狗屋;养狗场;[建]阴沟;一群狗;vt.把…关进狗舍;宿于狗舍;vi.待在狗舍里;
But funny story, actually, of being put into a dog kennel. 但其实在狗笼里的故事还蛮好笑的,
So we're in this big wire kennel with all these people, and the police officers are there and we're there, and we start howling like dogs. 我们一群人被关在大铁笼里, 警察在那里,我们在那里, 然后我们开始学狗嚎叫。
You're going to treat us like dogs? We're going to act like dogs. 你们要把我们当狗来对待吗? 那我们就当狗给你看!
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
But that's the resilience we have. 这就是我们的韧性。
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
All these horrific images playing out in front of us, being an indigenous person pushed off of Native lands again in 2017. 在我们面前尽是这些可怕的影像; 身为原住民族人, 在 2017 年,我们再次被赶出家园,
horrific:adj.可怕的;令人毛骨悚然的; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
But there was such beauty. 但这其中也有美的存在。
On one of the days that we faced a line of hundreds of police officers pushing us back, pushing us off indigenous lands, there were those teenagers out on horseback across the plains. 抗争的某一天, 我们面对一整排数百名的警察, 他们把我们向后推, 将我们推出故土。 那时,有一些青少年 骑着马穿越平原,
They were herding hundreds of buffalo towards us, and we were crying out, calling, "Please turn, please turn." 他们把数百头野牛赶向我们, 我们大声疾呼: 「请转向,请转向!」
herding:v.(使)向…移动;牧放(牲畜、兽群);(herd的现在分词) buffalo:n.[畜牧][脊椎]水牛;[脊椎]野牛(产于北美);水陆两用坦克;
And we watched the buffalo come towards us, and for a moment, everything stopped. 然后,我们看着野牛朝我们过来, 在那一刻,一切都静止了。
The police stopped, we stopped, and we just saw this beautiful, amazing moment of remembrance . 警察停了下来,我们也停了下来。 我们就这样看着这美丽、 惊人、令人难以忘怀的时刻,
remembrance:n.回想,回忆;纪念品;记忆力;
And we were empowered . We were so empowered . 我们因此获得力量, 我们充满着力量。
empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
I interviewed a woman who had, on one day -- 我访问过一位女性,她在某一天──
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式)
September 2nd, the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation had told the courts -- there's an ongoing lawsuit right now -- they told the courts, "Here is a sacred site that's in the direct path of the pipeline." 九月二日那一天, 立岩地区苏族保留地告诉法庭── 他们现在正持续在打官司── 他们告诉法庭: 「管线的路径正好 经过一处神圣之地。」
ongoing:n.发展; adj.持续存在的; lawsuit:n.诉讼;[法]官司;诉讼案件; site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
On September 3rd, the following day, 九月三日,也就是隔天,
Dakota Access, LLC skipped 25 miles ahead in its construction , to destroy that site. 达科他输油管公司(Dakota Access) 跳过了 25 英哩的建设进度, 抢先把那处神圣之地摧毁。
construction:n.建设;建筑物;解释;造句;
And when that happened, the people in camp rushed up to stop this, and they were met with attack dogs, people, private security officers, wielding attack dogs in [2016]. 事件发生时,在营区 待命的人赶忙前去阻止, 他们遭受狗群攻击。 私人安保人员放出猛犬攻击人, 那时是 2017 年。
wielding:v.拥有,运用,行使,支配(权力等);(wield的现在分词)
But I interviewed one of the women, who had been bitten on the breast by one of these dogs, and the ferocity and strength of her was incredible, and she's out right now in another resistance camp, the same resistance camp I'm part of, 但我访问了其中一位女性, 她的胸部被其中一只狗咬伤, 而她的强悍和力量 很不可思议。 她现在已经复出, 在另一个抗争营区, 也就是我参加的阵营:
ferocity:n.凶猛;残忍;暴行;
fighting Line 3, another pipeline project in my people's homelands, wanting 900,000 barrels of tar sands per day through the headwaters of the Mississippi to the shore of Lake Superior and through all the Treaty territories along the way. 对抗三号线,那是在我族 土地上的另一个管线计画, 规划一天九十万桶的油砂运输量, 通过密西西比河上游, 到苏必略湖湖岸, 并一路穿越位于 该区域的原住民协定领地。
barrels:n.机筒; v.把…装桶; tar:n.焦油;柏油;水手;vt.涂以焦油;玷污; headwaters:n.河源上游,源头; Superior:n.上级;上司;adj.(在品质上)更好的;占优势的;更胜一筹的; Treaty:n.条约,协议;谈判; territories:n.地区;领土;边疆区(territory的复数);
But this woman's out there and we're all out there standing together, because we are resilient , we are fierce , and we are teaching people how to reconnect to the earth, remembering where we come from. 但这位女性仍在那里, 我们全都在那里,并肩作战, 因为我们韧性很强,我们很强悍, 我们在教导人们 如何和地球重新连结, 我们记得自己来自何处,
resilient:adj.弹回的,有弹力的; fierce:adj.凶猛的;猛烈的;暴躁的; reconnect:v.使再接合;
So much of society has forgotten this. 社会大众多已经忘了这一点。
(Applause) (掌声)
That food you eat comes from somewhere. 你们吃的食物来自某处,
The tap water you drink comes from somewhere. 你们喝的自来水来自某处。
tap water:n.自来水;
We're trying to remember, teach, because we know, we still remember. 我们在试着记得、教导, 因为我们知道,我们仍然记得,
It's in our plants, in our medicines, in our lives, every single day. 它就蕴藏在我们的植物中、 药品中,在我们的生活之中, 每一天都在。
I brought this out to show. 我带了这个来跟你们分享。
(Rattling) (咯咯声)
This is cultural survival. 这是个文化遗物,
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的;
This is from a time that it was illegal to practice indigenous cultures in the United States. 它从历史中幸存下来, 从那个美国原住民文化习俗 被法令禁止的时代幸存下来。
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
This was cultural survival hidden in plain sight. 当时,它因为毫不起眼而留存。
This was a baby's rattle . 这是婴儿手摇铃。
rattle:v.格格作响;使紧张;使恐惧;n.拨浪鼓;咔嗒声;响板;
That's what they told the Indian agents when they came in. 当时,印第安事务官 来盘查时,他们就是这么呈报的:
agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数)
It was a baby's rattle. 婴儿手摇铃。
But it's incredible what you can do when you stand together. 但当人们并肩团结时, 所能做到的事是很惊人的。
It's incredible, the power that we have when we stand together, human resistance, people having this power, some of the most oppressed people you can possibly imagine 当我们团结一致时, 我们拥有惊人的力量。 人类的顽强,就是我们的力量。 那些你所能想到、 受到最多压迫的人,
oppressed:adj.受压制的,受压迫的;v.压迫;折磨(oppress的过去分词);
costing this company hundreds of millions of dollars, and now our divestment efforts, focusing on the banks behind these projects, costing them billions of dollars. 实际上已造成 这间公司损失数亿美元。 现在,我们把努力的焦点放在 支持这些计画的银行,使他们撤资, 造成他们数十亿美元的损失。
divestment:n.脱衣;剥夺(财产);转让部分投资;
Five billion dollars we've cost them so far, hanging out with banks. 目前,我们和银行联手, 已经让他们损失五十亿美元。
(Applause) (掌声)
So what can you do? 那,你们能做什么呢?
How can you help? 你们能幫上什么忙呢?
How can you change the conversation for extremely oppressed and forgotten people? 你们能怎么做来和这些 极度受迫并被遗忘的族群 开启新的对话?
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
Education is foundational . 教育是基础,
foundational:adj.基础的;基本的;
Education shapes our children. It shapes the way we teach. 教育形塑我们的孩童、 我们的教导方式,
It shapes the way we learn. 也形塑我们的学习方式。
In Washington State, they've made the teaching of treaties and modern Native people mandatory in school curriculum . 在华盛顿州, 他们将原住民条约及原住民族人现况 纳入学校必修课程。
treaties:n.条约;协定问题(treaty的复数); mandatory:adj.强制的;托管的;命令的;n.受托者(等于mandatary); curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
That is systems change. 这是体制的改变。
(Applause) (掌声)
When your elected officials are appropriating their budgets , ask them: Are you fulfilling treaty obligations ? 当你们选出的官员 在编列他们的预算时, 问他们:你们兑现了条约的义务吗?
appropriating:v.盗用;占用;侵吞;拨(专款等)(appropriate的现在分词) budgets:n.[财政]预算(budget复数形式);v.为…做预算(budget的第三人称单数形式); fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词) obligations:n.[法]义务;债务;承付款项(obligation的复数);
Treaties have been broken since the day they were signed. 这些条约在签订的那天, 就已经被违反了。
Are you meeting those requirements? 你们符合这些规定吗?
That would change our lives, if treaties were actually upheld . 如果条约确实地被伸张, 那将会改变我们的生活。
upheld:v.支持(uphold的过去式);
Those documents were signed. 我们确实已经签署了那些文件,
Somehow , we live in this world where, in 2017, the US Constitution is held up as the supreme law of the land, right? 不知怎么地,在 2017 年, 我们居住的这个世界里, 美国宪法被视为 这块土地的至上法律,对吧?
Somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; Constitution:n.宪法;构成;体质;组成;
But when I talk about treaty rights, I'm crazy. 但当我谈论条约权利,我会很疯狂。
That's crazy. 那很疯狂。
Treaties are the supreme law of the land, and that would change so much, if you actually asked your representative officials to appropriate those budgets. 条约才是这块土地的至上法律, 那将带来很大的改变, 如果你们确实要求民意代表 编列那些预算,
representative:n.代表; adj.典型的; appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
And take your money out of the banks. 还有,把你们的钱从银行领出来,
That's huge. It makes a huge difference. 这些举动意义重大, 将会带来很大的不同。
Stand with us, empathize , learn, grow, change the conversation. 与我们并肩吧,展现同理心、 学习、成长、开启新的对话。
empathize:vt.移情;神会;
Forty percent of Native people are under the age of 24. 24 岁以下的人占了 原住民族人口的 40%,
under the age of:在年龄之下;16岁以下;
We are the fastest-growing demographic in the United States. 我们是美国人口中 成长最快速的族群。
demographic:adj.人口统计学的;人口学的;
We are doctors, we are lawyers, we are teachers, we are scientists, we are engineers. 我们是医生,我们是律师; 我们是老师,我们是科学家; 我们是工程师;
We are medicine men, we are medicine women, we are sun dancers, we are pipe carriers, we are traditional language speakers. 我们是男巫医,我们是女巫医; 我们是日舞者、神圣烟斗肩负者; (注:日舞为一种祭祀舞蹈仪式) 我们是说传统语言的人。
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
And we are still here. 而我们还在这里。
Miigwech. (奥杰布瓦语)谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)