返回首页

TanLe_2011X-_我的移民的故事_

How can I speak in 10 minutes about the bonds of women over three generations, about how the astonishing strength of those bonds took hold in the life of a four-year-old girl huddled with her young sister, her mother and her grandmother for five days and nights in a small boat in the China Sea more than 30 years ago, 10分钟何尝够我来讲述, 关于三代妇女间的纽带, 关于这条纽带的惊人的力量 把 4岁小姑娘和 她的妹妹 母亲、祖母绑在一起, 5天5夜 挤在一条小船飘在中国海 已经过去了30多年,
astonishing:adj.令人十分惊讶的;v.使十分惊讶;使吃惊;(astonish的现在分词) huddled:v.挤成一团;胡乱堆积(huddle的过去式及过去分词形式);
bonds that took hold in the life of that small girl and never let go -- that small girl now living in San Francisco and speaking to you today? 一直留在小女孩的脑海中 不曾磨灭-- 那个小女孩现在居住在旧金山 今天正在为你们讲述
This is not a finished story. 一个不断延续的故事
It is a jigsaw puzzle still being put together . 就像一幅正在被拼接的拼图一样
jigsaw:拼图玩具 puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑; put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
Let me tell you about some of the pieces. 请允许我讲述其中的片段
Imagine the first piece: a man burning his life's work. 回想起来的第一个画面是 一个男人拼尽全力地工作。
He is a poet, a playwright , a man whose whole life had been balanced on the single hope of his country's unity and freedom. 他是一个诗人兼剧作家 一生 都致力于 国家的统一和自由。
playwright:n.剧作家; unity:n.团结;一致;联合;个体;
Imagine him as the communists enter Saigon, confronting the fact that his life had been a complete waste. 想象着他作为一名共产主义者进入胡志明市 面对着 完全被抛弃的一生
communists:n.共产党员(communist的复数形式); confronting:v.直面;无法回避;降临于;处理;对抗;(confront的现在分词)
Words, for so long his friends, now mocked him. 面对朋友们的嘲笑
mocked:v.嘲笑;(模仿)嘲弄;不尊重;蔑视;(mock的过去分词和过去式)
He retreated into silence. 他沉默以对
retreated:v.撤退;隐退(retreat的过去式及过去分词);
He died broken by history. 作为历史,他已经死去
He is my grandfather. 他就是我的祖父
I never knew him in real life. 我从来不了解他的真实生活。
But our lives are much more than our memories. 但是我们的生活比记忆更加丰富。
My grandmother never let me forget his life. 祖父让我永记他的一生。
My duty was not to allow it to have been in vain , and my lesson was to learn that, yes, history tried to crush us, but we endured . 而我的职责就是不让他的经历成为徒劳 我的责任是从中学习 是的,历史试图打垮我们 而我们一直忍受着。
vain:adj.徒劳的;自负的;无结果的;无用的; crush:v.压碎;弄皱,变形;使…挤入;n.粉碎;迷恋;压榨;拥挤的人群; endured:v.忍耐;忍受;持续;持久;(endure的过去分词和过去式)
The next piece of the jigsaw is of a boat in the early dawn slipping silently out to sea. 下一块拼图是 黎明的早上一叶扁舟 悄悄滑向大海
dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟; slipping:n.滑动;adj.渐渐松弛的;v.滑动;(slip的现在分词);
My mother, Mai, was 18 when her father died -- already in an arranged marriage , already with two small girls. 我母亲,Mai,18岁 丧父 经历了一系列婚姻, 有了两个小女儿。
arranged marriage:n.包办婚姻;
For her, life had distilled itself into one task: the escape of her family and a new life in Australia. 对于她,生活唯一目的就是 逃离家庭 在澳大利亚开始新生活。
distilled:adj.由蒸馏得来的;净化的;v.蒸馏(distill的过去式);
It was inconceivable to her that she would not succeed. 这对她来说, 简直就是天方夜谭。
inconceivable:adj.不可思议的;难以置信的;不能想象的;非凡的;
So after a four-year saga that defies fiction, a boat slipped out to sea disguised as a fishing vessel . 因此,4年的蔑视小说的长篇故事 一条小船滑向大海, 远离渔船。
saga:n.传说;冒险故事;英雄事迹; defies:vt.藐视;公然反抗;挑衅;使落空;n.挑战;对抗; slipped:adj.打滑的;v.滑倒;滑落;脱落;(slip的过去分词和过去式) disguised:v.假扮;装扮;伪装;掩蔽;掩饰(disguise的过去分词和过去式) vessel:n.器皿;轮船;脉管;大船;
All the adults knew the risks. 大人们知道其中的危险。
The greatest fear was of pirates, rape and death. 最大的威胁是海盗, 强奸和死亡。
rape:n.强奸罪;强奸案;v.强奸;强暴;
Like most adults on the boat, my mother carried a small bottle of poison. 和所有成年人一样, 我母亲带了一小瓶毒药。
If we were captured , first my sister and I, then she and my grandmother would drink. 如果我们被抓获,我妹妹、我、 母亲和祖母依次服毒自尽。
captured:adj.捕获的;被俘的;v.捕获;占领;引起;(capture的过去式和过去分词)
My first memories are from the boat -- the steady beat of the engine, the bow dipping into each wave, the vast and empty horizon . 我的第一个记忆来自于小船-- 发动机均匀的节奏 浅浅的波浪 一望无尽的海平面
steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣; dipping:v.蘸;浸;(使)下降,下沉;(dip的现在分词) horizon:n.地平线;(欲望、知识或兴趣的)范围;
I don't remember the pirates who came many times, but were bluffed by the bravado of the men on our boat, or the engine dying and failing to start for six hours. 我不记得海盗来了几次, 却被船上男人们的虚张声势 吓跑了, 引擎熄火, 6个小时无法启动。
bluffed:v.虚张声势;唬人;吹牛;(bluff的过去分词和过去式) bravado:n.虚张声势;冒险;
But I do remember the lights on the oil rig off the Malaysian coast and the young man who collapsed and died, the journey's end too much for him, and the first apple I tasted, given to me by the men on the rig. 但是我记得边石油钻井反射的光; 来自马来西亚海岸 年轻小伙虚脱而死, 旅途早早结束; 我尝到的第一个苹果, 来自同船的一个男人。
oil rig:n.石油钻塔;钻油平台; collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式)
No apple has ever tasted the same. 再也没有吃到那么美味的苹果。
After three months in a refugee camp, we landed in Melbourne . 在难民集中营的三个月后, 我们定居在墨尔本。
refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的; Melbourne:n.墨尔本(澳大利亚一座城市);
And the next piece of the jigsaw is about four women across three generations shaping a new life together. 下一片拼图是 关于三代妇女 共同创造的新生活。
We settled in Footscray, a working-class suburb whose demographic is layers of immigrants . 定居于Footscray, 一个的工薪阶层市郊, 以移民为主.
settled:adj.稳定的; v.结束; (settle的过去分词和过去式) working-class:adj.工人阶级的;劳动阶级的; suburb:n.郊区;城外; demographic:adj.人口统计学的;人口学的; layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数) immigrants:n.移民(immigrant的复数);
Unlike the settled middle-class suburbs , whose existence I was oblivious of, there was no sense of entitlement in Footscray. 不像定居其他中级阶层市郊, 我忘记了我的存在, 更别说权利了。
middle-class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的; suburbs:n.郊外(suburb的复数); oblivious:adj.遗忘的;健忘的;不注意的;不知道的; entitlement:n.权利;津贴;
The smells from shop doors were from the rest of the world. 商店透出的味道仿佛来自另一个世界。
And the snippets of halting English were exchanged between people who had one thing in common, they were starting again. 说着同样磕磕绊绊的英语, 人们相互交流着。 有一件事情是相同的, 又重新开始了。
snippets:n.片段(snippet的复数形式);小片; halting:adj.犹豫的;蹒跚的;跛的;v.停止;蹒跚;犹豫(halt的ing形式);
My mother worked on farms, then on a car assembly line , working six days, double shifts . 母亲一开始在农村干活, 后来去了汽车组装线, 一周工作6天,双班倒。
assembly line:na.装配线; shifts:n.转移; v.转移; (shift的第三人称单数)
Somehow she found time to study English and gain IT qualifications . 有时她挤时间学习英语, 获得了IT资格证。
Somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; qualifications:n.资格证书;任职资格;职位要求;限定性条件(qualification的复数形式);
We were poor. 我们很穷,
All the dollars were allocated and extra tuition in English and mathematics was budgeted for regardless of what missed out, which was usually new clothes; they were always secondhand . 节约每一分钱。 剩余的钱都用来缴英语和数学的学费, 不管再难, 即使没有 新衣服穿, 穿二手的。
allocated:v.拨…(给);划…(归);分配…(给);(allocate的过去式和过去分词) extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: tuition:n.指导;(尤指大专院校的)学费; mathematics:n.数学;数学运算; budgeted:adj.已安排预算的;v.编预算(budget的过去分词形式); regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地; secondhand:adj.二手的;旧的;间接获得的;做旧货生意的;adv.间接地;间接听来;以旧货;
Two pairs of stockings for school, each to hide the holes in the other. 上学时穿两双袜子, 一双遮挡另一双上的洞。
stockings:n.长筒女袜;(stocking的复数)
A school uniform down to the ankles, because it had to last for six years. 学校的制服盖过了膝盖, 因为它得坚持6年。
school uniform:校服;
And there were rare but searing chants of "slit-eye" 虽然很少,但是搜寻圣歌的 边边角角,
searing:adj.灼热的;v.使枯萎(sear的ing形式); chants:吟唱,颂扬(chant的第三人称单数)
and the occasional graffiti : "Asian, go home." 偶尔的涂鸦说 “亚洲人,回家去吧!”
occasional:adj.偶然的;临时的;特殊场合的; graffiti:n.墙上乱写乱画的东西(graffito的复数形式);
Go home to where? 回家回到哪儿?
Something stiffened inside me. 一些事情刺痛了我的内心。
stiffened:adj.加强的;v.使硬化;使僵直;使猛烈(stiffen的过去分词);
There was a gathering of resolve and a quiet voice saying, "I will bypass you." 一股力量在凝聚, 安静的声音在说:“我要超越你。”
resolve:vt.决定; vi.解决; n.坚决; bypass:vt.绕开;忽视;设旁路;迂回;n.旁路;[公路]支路;
My mother, my sister and I slept in the same bed. 我、我妹妹和我母亲 睡在同一张床上。
My mother was exhausted each night, but we told one another about our day and listened to the movements of my grandmother around the house. 每晚母亲都拖着疲惫的身体回家, 但是我们互相交流一天的事情, 听着旁白房间 祖母的动静。
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
My mother suffered from nightmares all about the boat. 我母亲一直梦魇困扰着, 都是关于小船的。
nightmares:n.噩梦;梦魇;极其糟糕的情况;(nightmare的复数)
And my job was to stay awake until her nightmares came so I could wake her. 我的工作就是保持清醒,在她做恶梦的时候 叫醒她。
She opened a computer store then studied to be a beautician and opened another business. 她开了一家计算机商店, 学习美容, 将来开一家美容店。
beautician:n.美容师;
And the women came with their stories about men who could not make the transition , angry and inflexible , and troubled children caught between two worlds. 关于男人的故事, 没有过渡, 生气,呆板, 问题小孩,就像两个世界。
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; inflexible:adj.顽固的;不可弯曲的;不屈挠的;不能转变的;
Grants and sponsors were sought . 寻求资金和资助人,
sponsors:n.赞助商;主办单位(sponsor的复数);v.赞助(sponsor的三单形式);主办;倡议; sought:v.seek(寻求、寻找)的过去式和过去分词形式;
Centers were established . 建立了中心。
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式)
I lived in parallel worlds. 我生活在一个平行的世界。
parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等);
In one, I was the classic Asian student, relentless in the demands that I made on myself. 一方面,我是典型的亚洲学生, 自己特别狠;
classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的; relentless:adj.无情的;残酷的;不间断的;
In the other, I was enmeshed in lives that were precarious , tragically scarred by violence , drug abuse and isolation. 另一方面,我纠缠于现实的危险, 暴力冲突的可悲, 毒品泛滥和种族隔离。
enmeshed:adj.陷入的;被缠住的;使卷入的;v.使陷入(enmesh的过去式); precarious:adj.危险的;不确定的; tragically:adv.悲剧地;悲惨地; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂;
But so many over the years were helped. 但是如此多年的帮助,
And for that work, when I was a final year law student, 当我曾为法律系毕业生的时候,
I was chosen as the young Australian of the year. 我被选择作为当年的澳大利亚年轻代表。
And I was catapulted from one piece of the jigsaw to another, and their edges didn't fit. 我直接 从一个片段跳到了另一个, 没有漂亮的连接。
catapulted:n.弹弓; vt.用弹弓射; vi.用弹射器弹射;
Tan Le, anonymous Footscray resident , was now Tan Le, refugee and social activist , invited to speak in venues she had never heard of and into homes whose existence she could never have imagined. Tan Le一名Footscray普通居民, 现在是难民,社会积极分子, 被邀请演讲, 去一个从未听说过的 去一个无法想象是否存在的地方。
Tan:n.(日晒后皮肤的)黝黑色; vt.鞣(革); vi.晒成棕褐色; adj.黄褐色的; anonymous:adj.匿名的,无名的;无个性特征的; resident:adj.居住的;住院医师;定居的;n.居民; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子; venues:n.场地,场馆(venue复数形式);犯罪现场,发生地点;
I didn't know the protocols . 我不知道协议,
protocols:n.协议; v.拟定议定书;
I didn't know how to use the cutlery . 不知道如何用刀具,
cutlery:n.餐具;刀剑制造业;
I didn't know how to talk about wine. 不会谈论葡萄酒,
I didn't know how to talk about anything. 不会讲话。
I wanted to retreat to the routines and comfort of life in an unsung suburb -- a grandmother, a mother and two daughters ending each day as they had for almost 20 years, telling one another the story of their day and falling asleep, the three of us still in the same bed. 我想要退回到原来, 无名市郊的舒适生活-- 祖母、目前和两个女儿 过着20多年的平淡生活, 相互谈论着过去的日子, 渐渐入睡, 我们三个还在一个床上。
unsung:adj.(歌)未唱的;未被诗歌赞颂的,埋没的;
I told my mother I couldn't do it. 我告诉我母亲,我做不到。
She reminded me that I was now the same age she had been when we boarded the boat. 她提醒我,她带我们乘船出国的时候, 正好是我现在的年龄。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
No had never been an option . 没有任何选择。
option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
'"Just do it," she said, "and don't be what you're not." “放手去做”,她说 “做真正的自己”
So I spoke out on youth unemployment and education and the neglect of the marginalized and the disenfranchised . 因此我讲到了失业低龄化和教育问题 忽视边缘群体和剥夺政治权利。
unemployment:n.失业;失业率;失业人数; neglect:v.忽视;忽略;疏忽;疏于照顾;n.忽视;忽略;未被重视; marginalized:使边缘化;忽略;排斥(marginalize的过去式和过去分词); disenfranchised:v.剥夺(某人)的权利(尤指选举权);(disenfranchise的过去分词和过去式)
And the more candidly I spoke, the more I was asked to speak. 我说的越坦率, 越是有人邀请我演讲。
candidly:adv.坦白地;率直地;直率而诚恳地;
I met people from all walks of life, so many of them doing the thing they loved, living on the frontiers of possibility. 遇见周围的人们, 做着自己喜欢的事情, 生活的
And even though I finished my degree, 即使我完成了我的学业,
I realized I could not settle into a career in law. 我意识到我不能局限于法律职业。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
There had to be another piece of the jigsaw. 这儿还有另一个拼图的片段。
And I realized at the same time that it is okay to be an outsider , a recent arrival, new on the scene -- and not just okay, but something to be thankful for, perhaps a gift from the boat. 同一时间,我意识到 作为局外人也可以, 最近的事情, 屏幕上的新闻 不仅仅是可以, 一些事情归功于 来自小船的经历。
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; outsider:n.外人;无取胜希望者;
Because being an insider can so easily mean collapsing the horizons , can so easily mean accepting the presumptions of your province. 因为作为一个局内人, 太容易放弃视野, 太容易 接收你的假设。
insider:n.内部的人,会员;熟悉内情者; collapsing:v.倒塌,坍塌; (collapse的现在分词) horizons:n.地平线;范围,眼界;(horizon的复数) presumptions:假定;推定;
I have stepped outside my comfort zone enough now to know that, yes, the world does fall apart , but not in the way that you fear. 我现在得站在舒适区足够远 是的,世界开始破碎, 不是按照你担心的那样。
comfort zone:n.舒适区;最佳状态; fall apart:崩溃;土崩瓦解;破碎; in the way:妨碍;挡道;
Possibilities that would not have been allowed were outrageously encouraged. 不允许贸然或者 鼓励放大可能性。
outrageously:adv.凶残地,残暴地;
There was an energy there, an implacable optimism , a strange mixture of humility and daring. 这里有能量, 无情的乐观, 混合着人道和胆量。
implacable:adj.不能安抚的;难和解的;不能缓和的; optimism:n.乐观;乐观主义; mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体; humility:n.谦卑,谦逊;
So I followed my hunches . 跟随我的预感。
hunches:n.预感;大块;肉峰;vt.耸肩;预感到;弯腰驼背;vi.隆起;向前移动;
I gathered around me a small team of people for whom the label "It can't be done" 我聚集了一个小组 “不能完成”的标签
label:n.标签;标记;谓;唱片公司;v.贴标签于;用标签标明;
was an irresistible challenge. 是我们唯一的挑战。
irresistible:adj.不可抵抗的;不能压制的;极为诱人的;
For a year we were penniless . 整整一年,我们一名不文。
penniless:adj.身无分文的;贫穷的;
At the end of each day, I made a huge pot of soup which we all shared. 每一天最后,我都做一大锅汤 大家共享。
We worked well into each night. 每晚都努力工作。
Most of our ideas were crazy, but a few were brilliant, and we broke through. 我们大多数的想法都很疯狂, 还有少数很明智, 我们突破着。
I made the decision to move to the U.S. 我觉得搬到美国,
after only one trip. 在一次旅行后。
My hunches again. 我的直觉又一次成功了。
Three months later I had relocated , and the adventure has continued. 我到达3个月后, 继续冒险。
relocated:v.(使)搬迁,迁移;(relocate的过去分词和过去式) adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
Before I close though, let me tell you about my grandmother. 在最后让我说说 我的祖母。
She grew up at a time when Confucianism was the social norm and the local Mandarin was the person who mattered. 她成长的时代 儒教盛行, 本地Mandarin最大。
norm:n.规范;标准;定额;常态;v.规范;规定; Mandarin:n.(中国)普通话;国语;官话;满清官吏;柑橘;adj.紧身马褂的;
Life hadn't changed for centuries. 几个世纪的生活都不曾改变。
Her father died soon after she was born. 她出生的时候,父亲去世,
Her mother raised her alone. 由母亲独自养大。
At 17 she became the second wife of a Mandarin whose mother beat her. 她17岁嫁给了一个Mandarin, 做二房,遭到婆婆的打骂。
With no support from her husband, she caused a sensation by taking him to court and prosecuting her own case, and a far greater sensation when she won. 没有丈夫的支持, 带着丈夫去法院起诉自己, 从而轰动一时, 胜诉的她更是名声远扬。
sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动; prosecuting:v.起诉;控告;检举;担任控方律师;继续从事(或参与);(prosecute的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (鼓掌)
'"It can't be done" was shown to be wrong. “不可能”变成了可能。
I was taking a shower in a hotel room in Sydney the moment she died 600 miles away in Melbourne. 当她在600英里外的墨尔本 逝世时, 我正在悉尼的宾馆房间洗澡。
I looked through the shower screen and saw her standing on the other side . 透过玻璃, 我看到她站在对面。
on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
I knew she had come to say goodbye. 我知道她是来说声再见。
My mother phoned minutes later. 我母亲的电话几分钟后来了。
A few days later, we went to a Buddhist temple in Footscray and sat around her casket . 几天后, 我们去Footscray的佛寺, 坐在她的棺材旁。
Buddhist:n.佛教徒;adj.佛教的; casket:n.棺材;骨灰盒;小箱;vt.把…装进小箱;入殓;
We told her stories and assured her that we were still with her. 我们讲述着故事, 向她保证我们一直陪着她。
assured:adj.确定的;自信的;n.被保险人;v.保证;确实;(assure的过去分词和过去式);
At midnight the monk came and told us he had to close the casket. 午夜僧人告诉我们, 他必须盖上棺材。
monk:n.僧侣,修道士;和尚;
My mother asked us to feel her hand. 我母亲让我们感受祖母的手。
She asked the monk, "Why is it that her hand is so warm and the rest of her is so cold?" 她问僧人 “为什么祖母的手是温的, 其他地方那么凉?”
'"Because you have been holding it since this morning," he said. “因为您从早上一直握到现在”,他说
'"You have not let it go." “你从未放手”。
If there is a sinew in our family, it runs through the women. 如果说我们家族有动力, 那它一定来着于妇女们。
sinew:n.筋;肌腱;体力;精力;vt.加强;使牢固;
Given who we were and how life had shaped us, we can now see that the men who might have come into our lives would have thwarted us. 考虑到我们自身和生活的塑造, 我们现在可以预见, 一个男人必须挫败我们才能融入我们。 必须挫败我们才行。
thwarted:v.阻止;阻挠;对…构成阻力;(thwart的过去分词和过去式)
Defeat would have come too easily. 失败来的太容易。
Now I would like to have my own children, and I wonder about the boat. 现在我想要自己孩子, 自己的小船。
Who could ever wish it on their own? 又有谁不愿意呢?
Yet I am afraid of privilege , of ease, of entitlement. 然而我害怕特权、 安乐 和权利。
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
Can I give them a bow in their lives, dipping bravely into each wave, the unperturbed and steady beat of the engine, the vast horizon that guarantees nothing? 给他们生命的桨, 勇敢地划入每个波浪, 自然地、稳稳地发动机, 宽广的视野, 不用任何担保,我能做到吗?
bravely:adv.勇敢地;华丽地; unperturbed:adj.镇定的;平静的;未受到扰乱的; guarantees:v.保证(guarantee的第三人称单数); n.保证,[法]担保;
I don't know. 我不知道。
But if I could give it and still see them safely through, 但是我可以放任它, 看着他们安全的通过,
I would. 这也是我希望的。
(Applause) (掌声)
Trevor Neilson: And also, Tan's mother is here today in the fourth or fifth row. 同时,Tan的目前今天也来到的现场, 就坐于第四、五排。
(Applause) (掌声)