返回首页

TalithiaWilliams_2014X-_拥有自己身体的数据_

As a kid I always loved information that I could get from data and the stories that could be told with numbers. 以及其所属权利与殊榮 从数据取得资讯 以及用数字所传递的故事
I remember, growing up, I'd be frustrated at how my own parents would lie to me using numbers. 我还记得成长的过程中 对于我爸妈用数字欺骗我感到沮丧
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
'"Talithia, if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times." 泰莉西雅,我跟你说一次就代表我已经跟你说过一千次了
No dad, you've only told me 17 times and twice it wasn't my fault. (Laughter) 爸,你只跟我说17次而已 其中有两次还不是我的错 (笑声)
I think that is one of the reasons I got a Ph.D. in statistics . 我觉得这是我拿到统计学博士的其中一个理由
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
I always wanted to know, what are people trying to hide with numbers? 我总是想知道 大家究竟想用数字隐藏什么事情
As a statistician , 身为统计学家
statistician:n.统计学家,统计员;
I want people to show me the data so I can decide for myself. 我希望大家能拿数据给我看 这样我才能替自己下决定
Donald and I were pregnant with our third child and we were at about 41 and a half weeks, what some of you may refer to as being overdue . 唐纳和我当时有了第三个小孩 那时候宝宝41周半 有些人会说这已经过了预产期
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的; refer:v.参考;涉及;提到;查阅; overdue:adj.过期的;迟到的;未兑的;
Statisticians , we call that being within the 95 percent confidence interval . 我们统计学家称这为 95% 以下的信赖区间
Statisticians:n.统计学家,统计员; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; interval:n.间歇;音程;休息时间;(其他事情)穿插出现的间隙;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And at this point in the process we had to come in every couple of days to do a stress test on the baby, and this is just routine, it tests whether or not the baby is feeling any type of undue stress. 在这个阶段 每几天我们就要来医院 让宝宝接受压力测试 这只是例行公事而已 这种测试是为了知道宝宝是否承受太大的压力
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; whether or not:是否…; undue:adj.过度的,过分的;不适当的;未到期的;
And you are rarely , if ever, seen by your actual doctor, just whoever happens to be working at the hospital that day. 通常在医院很难遇到自己本来的医生 都是由刚好当天值班的医生看诊
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地; whoever:任何人:无论是谁:
So we go in for a stress test and after 20 minutes the doctor comes out and he says, "Your baby is under stress, we need to induce you." 于是我们就进去诊间做压力测试 20分钟后医生出来,他说: 你的宝宝承受胎压了我们要幫你催生
go in for:参加,从事;追求;赞成; induce:v.导致;引起;诱使;劝说;
Now, as a statistician, what's my response ? 身为统计学家,我的回答是什么呢?
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
Show me the data! 就是让我看数据!
So then he proceeds to tell us the baby's heart rate trace went from 18 minutes, the baby's heart rate was in the normal zone and for two minutes it was in what appeared to be my heart rate zone and I said, "Is it possible that maybe this was my heart rate? 接下来医生告诉我们 宝宝的心率追踪持续 18 分钟 宝宝的心率落在正常的区间内 但有两分钟的时间内变成是 我的心率区间 我就问 有可能这是我的心率吗?
proceeds:v.继续做;行进;前往;(proceed的第三人称单数) trace:追溯,追踪
I was moving around a little bit, it's hard to lay still on your back, 41 weeks pregnant for 20 minutes. 我有稍微移动 让怀孕 41 周半的孕妇 躺平 20 分钟真的很困难
Maybe it was shifting around." 也许檢查的位置稍微跑掉了
shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词)
He said, "Well, we don't want to take any chances." 医生说 我们不想要冒任何险
I said okay. 我说当然好
I said, " What if I was at 36 weeks with this same data? 我又问 要是我现在怀孕 36 周 也有跟这情况一样的数据
What if:如果…怎么办?
Would your decision be to induce?" 你还会决定要催生吗?
'"Well, no, I would wait until you were at least 38 weeks, but you are almost 42, there is no reason to leave that baby inside, let's get you a room." 不,我会等到你至少 38 周 可是你现在都快 42 周了 根本没有理由还要把宝宝留在你肚子里 让我们幫你准备病房吧
I said, "Well, why don't we just do it again? 我说 我们为什么不重头再来一次?
We can collect more data. 我们可以收集更多数据
I can try to be really still for 20 minutes. 我可以试着稳稳地躺 20 分种
We can average the two and see what that means. (Laughter) 我们再平均这两次的数据 才能确定数据代表的意思 (笑声)
And he goes, "Ma'am, I just don't want you to have a miscarriage ." 他接着说 女士,我不希望你流产
miscarriage:n.[妇产]流产;失败;误送;
That makes three of us. 我们三个人都不想啊
And then he says, "Your chances of having a miscarriage double when you go past your due date. Let's get you a room." 他接着说 过了预产期后,你流产的可能性 整整多了一倍让我们幫你准备病房吧
Wow. So now as a statistician, what's my response? 哇,那身为统计学家我的回答是什么呢?
Show me the data! 让我看数据!
Dude , you're talking chances, 老兄,你说可能性
Dude:n.男人,小伙子;(非正式)花花公子;
I do chances all day long , tell me all about chances. 我每天都在分析可能性还轮得到你告诉我
all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日;
Let's talk chances. (Laughter) 那我们就来谈可能性 (笑声)
Let's talk chances. 我们就来谈可能性
So I say, "Okay, great. 于是我说 那好
Do I go from a 30-percent chance to a 60-percent chance? 我流产可能性从 30%提升至 60% 的意思吗?
Where are we here with this miscarriage thing? 流产的可能性到底是多少?
And he goes, "Not quite, but it doubles, and we really just want what's best for the baby." 他说 不完全是,不过可能性加倍 我们只想为宝宝提供最好的方法
Undaunted , I try a different angle. 我一点也不害怕试着用另一个角度思考
Undaunted:adj.勇敢的,无畏的;
I said, "Okay, out of 1,000 full-term pregnant women, how many of them are going to miscarry just before their due date? 我说 那一千位足月孕妇中 有几位会在预产期前 就流产?
full-term:adj.(怀孕)足月的; miscarry:vi.流产;失败;被误送;
And then he looks at me and looks at Donald, and he goes, about one in 1,000. 医生看着我和唐纳 他说大概一千位之中只有一位
I said, "Okay, so of those 1,000 women, how many are going to miscarry just after their due date?" 我说 那这一千位足月孕妇 有多少人会在过了预产期后就流产?
'"About two." (Laughter) 大约两位 (笑声)
I said, "Okay, so you are telling me that my chances go from a 0.1-percent chance to a 0.2-percent chance." 我说 那么你说的可能性 上升至 0.2% 对吧
Okay, so at this point the data is not convincing us that we need to be induced , and so then we proceed to have a conversation about how inductions lead to a higher rate of Cesarean sections, and if at all possible we'd like to avoid that. 所以在这个点上这个数据无法说服我们夫妻俩 让我们催生宝宝 接下来我们讨论 催生让剖腹产的机率变高了 如果有可能的话,我们就尽可能要避开它
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词) induced:adj.感应的;诱发型;v.引诱;说服(induce的过去分词); inductions:[电磁]感应;归纳法;感应现象(induction的复数); Cesarean:adj.剖腹产的;凯撒的;n.剖腹产(等于Caesarean);
And then I said, "And I really don't think my due date is accurate ." 于是我就说 我觉得我的预产期一点也不准确
accurate:adj.精确的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so this really stunned him and he looked sort of puzzled and I said, "You may not know this, but pregnancy due dates are calculated assuming that you have a standard 28-day cycle, and my cycle ranges — sometimes it's 27, sometimes it's up to 38 — and I have been collecting the data to prove it. 医生听到后有些错愕 他看起来有点困惑 我就说 你可能不知道 怀孕预产期的计算方法 是建立在你有标准28天的经期 而我的经期不固定 有时候 27 天,有时候到 38 天 而我也一直收集数据来证明这一切
stunned:adj.震惊的; v.使昏迷; (stun的过去分词和过去式) puzzled:adj.困惑的;茫然的;搞糊涂的; pregnancy:n.怀孕;丰富,多产;意义深长; assuming:conj.假设…为真; adj.傲慢的; v.假定; (assume的现在分词) standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so we ended up leaving the hospital that day without being induced. 结果当天我们没有进行催生手术就离开医院
We actually had to sign a waiver to walk out of the hospital. 也必须要签下切结书才能够离开医院
waiver:n.弃权,放弃;弃权证书;
And I'm not advocating that you not listen to your doctors, because even with our first child, we were induced at 38 weeks; cervical fluid was low. 我并不是要鼓吹大家不听医生的话 因为即使是我们的第一个孩子 也是在 38 周时就催生是因为子宫颈黏液偏低
advocating:v.拥护;支持;提倡;(advocate的现在分词) cervical:adj.颈的;子宫颈的; fluid:adj.流动的;流畅的;不固定的;n.流体;液体;
I'm not anti-medical intervention . 所以我并不反对医学的介入
intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍;
But why were confident to leave that day? 不过那天我们为什么可以自信满满地离开医院呢?
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
Well, we had data that told a different story. 这是因为我们的数据讲的是不同的故事
We had been collecting data for six years. 过去六年我们持续收集数据
I had this temperature data, and it told a different story. 我所记录的温度数据 又是另外一个故事了
In fact, we could probably pretty accurately estimate conception . 其实我们应该可以准确地预测受孕时间
accurately:adv.精确地,准确地; estimate:v.估计;估算;估价;n.估价;(对大小、数量、成本等的)估计;估计的成本; conception:n.怀孕;概念;设想;开始;
Yeah, that's a story you want to tell at your kid's wedding reception. (Laughter) 这种故事你就会想要 在小孩婚宴上说了 (笑声)
I remember like it was yesterday. 这好像昨天才刚发生
My temperature was a sizzling 97.8 degrees as I stared into your father's eyes. (Laughter) 当我看着你爸的双眼时 我的体温是发烫的 36.5 度 (笑声)
sizzling:adj.极热的;vi.发咝咝声(sizzle的现在分词); stared:v.盯着看;凝视;注视;(stare的过去分词和过去式)
Oh, yeah. Twenty-two more years, we're telling that story. 是的,过了 22 年后我们就会说这个故事
But we were confident to leave because we had been collecting data. 我们勇敢地离开医院是因为我们都一直都在收集数据
Now, what does that data look like? 这些数据显示些什么呢?
Here's a standard chart of a woman's waking body temperature during the course of a cycle. 这是女性月经周期中 基础体温的 标准图表
So from the beginning of the menstrual cycle till the beginning of the next. 从此次月经周期的开始 到下一次月经来临前
menstrual:adj.月经的;每月的;一月一次的;
You'll see that the temperature is not random . 你会发现温度是规律的
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
Clearly there is a low pattern at the beginning of her cycle and then you see this jump and then a higher set of temperatures at the end of her cycle. 在月经周期开始时 会很明显地看到温度偏低 之后会看到温度拉高 接近月经周期结束前又一波高温
at the beginning of:在…的开始;
So what's happening here? 这里发生什么事?
What is that data telling you? 这些数据表达些什么呢?
Well, ladies, at the beginning of our cycle, the hormone estrogen is dominant and that estrogen causes a suppression of your body temperature. 女士们,在你们月经周期一开始时 荷尔蒙雌激素主导你的身体 雌激素会幫身体降温
hormone:n.[生理]激素,荷尔蒙; estrogen:n.雌性激素; dominant:adj.显性的;占优势的;支配的,统治的;n.显性; suppression:n.抑制;镇压;[植]压抑;
And at ovulation , your body releases an egg and progesterone takes over, pro-gestation. 在排卵期时,你的身体会排卵 此时黄体激素主导身体,黄体-激素
ovulation:n.排卵;产卵作用; releases:n.释放; vt.释放; progesterone:n.[生化]黄体酮,[生化]孕酮;
And so your body heats up in anticipation of housing this new little fertilized egg. 你的体温会预先升高 为这颗小小的新受精卵提供居住地
in anticipation of:期待,预期; fertilized:v.使受精;使受粉;使受胎;使受孕;施肥于;(fertilize的过去分词和过去式)
So why this temperature jump? 那为什么温度会突然升高呢?
Well, think about when a bird sits on her eggs. 试想有只鸟坐在牠的蛋上面
Why is she sitting on them? 为什么要坐在蛋的上面?
She wants to keep them warm, protect them and keep them warm. 因为鸟妈妈要让蛋保持温暖 保护蛋并且让蛋维持温度
Ladies, this is exactly what our bodies do every month, they heat up in anticipation of keeping a new little life warm. 各位女士,这就是我们身体每个月所做的事情 身体会先预热 才能让这个新生命保持温暖
And if nothing happens, if you are not pregnant, then estrogen takes back over and that cycle starts all over again. 如果没有任何事情发生假使你没有怀孕 雌激素就拿回主控权所有周期又会重新再开始一次
But if you do get pregnant, sometimes you actually see another shift in your temperatures and it stays elevated for those whole nine months. 不过要是妳怀孕了,有时候 你会看到体温又有变化 在怀孕的九个月内体温会偏高
elevated:adj.提高的;高尚的;欢欣的;v.提高;振奋;提拔;(elevate的过去分词和过去式)
That's why you see those pregnant women just sweating and hot, because their temperatures are high. 这就是为什么你会发现怀孕妇女都在流汗又觉得热 这是因为她们的体温偏高
Here's a chart that we had about three or four years ago. 这是三、四年前我们用的图表
We were really very excited about this chart. 我们对这图表真的很开心
You'll see the low temperature level and then a shift and for about five days, that's about the time it takes for the egg to travel down the fallopian tube and implant , and then you see those temperatures start to go up a little bit. 你可以看见这低温的数据 之后温度转变,并且持续五天 这时候卵子出发 顺着输卵管而下然后着床 之后你会发现温度又会往上提升
fallopian tube:n.输卵管; implant:vt.种植;灌输;嵌入;n.[医]植入物;植入管;vi.被移植;
And in fact, we had a second temperature shift, confirmed with a pregnancy test that were indeed pregnant with our first child, very exciting. 这是第二次温度的改变 透过验孕,我真的怀孕了 那是我们的第一个孩子我们非常兴奋
Until a couple of days later 直到几天后
I saw some spotting and then I noticed heavy blood flow, and we had in fact had an early stage miscarriage. 我看到点状出血之后感觉到一股大量的血流下来 其实我遇到了怀孕初期的流产
Had I not been taking my temperature 这样看起来要是我没量体温的话
I really would have just thought my period was late that month, but we actually had data to show that we had miscarried this baby, and even though this data revealed a really unfortunate event in our lives, it was information that we could then take to our doctor. 我可能只会觉得那个月的经期晚来而已 不过我们的数据显示出 我们已经失去这个宝宝了 即使这数据也让我们看到 我们生命中非常不幸的一件事 我们之后拿着这些资讯给医生看
miscarried:vi.流产;失败;被误送; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式)
So if there was a fertility issue or some problem, 所以要是有任何生育问题或其他状况
fertility:n.多产;肥沃;[农经]生产力;丰饶; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
I had data to show: 我就有数据可以给别人看
Look, we got pregnant, our temperature shifted , we somehow lost this baby. 你看,我怀孕,温度也有改变 却不知道为何失去这个宝宝
shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词); somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
What is it that we can do to help prevent this problem? 我们能够做些什么预防这种问题再次发生呢?
And it's not just about temperatures and it's not just about fertility; we can use data about our bodies to tell us a lot of things. 这不只是关于体温 也不只是跟生育有关 而是身体的数据能够让我们知道很多事情
For instance , did you know that taking your temperature can tell you a lot about the condition of your thyroid ? 像是,你知道量体温可以知道 甲状腺的状况吗?
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; thyroid:n.甲状腺;甲状软骨;甲状腺剂;adj.甲状腺的;盾状的;
So, your thyroid works a lot like the thermostat in your house. 甲状腺的功能像跟你家里的中央空调一样
thermostat:n.恒温器;温度自动调节器
There is an optimal temperature that you want in your house; you set your thermostat. 我们总是希望房子里维持最佳的温度 所以我们会设定中央空调
optimal:adj.最佳的;最理想的;
When it gets too cold in the house, your thermostat kicks in and says, "Hey, we need to blow some heat around." 当房子里的温度下降中央空调就会开始运转 并说 我们把将热气送进来
Or if it gets too hot, your thermostat registers , "Turn the A.C. on. Cool us off." 如果房子里太热,中央空调 就会说 开冷气吧,让大家凉快
registers:n.登记; v.登记;
That's exactly how your thyroid works in your body. 这就是甲状腺在你身体里的功能
Your thyroid tries to keep an optimal temperature for your body. 甲状腺会为身体维持
If it gets too cold, your thyroid says, "Hey, we need to heat up." 如果温度太低,甲状腺就会说嘿,我们要升温
If it gets too hot, your thyroid cools you down. 如果温度太高甲状腺就会幫你降温
But what happens when your thyroid is not functioning well? 不过,要是你的甲状腺失去功用会怎么样呢?
When it doesn't function, then it shows up in your body temperatures, they tend to be lower than normal or very erratic . 甲状腺坏的时候,那么你的体温 就会显示这个状况 你的体温会比平常还要低或是非常不规律
erratic:adj.不稳定的;古怪的;n.漂泊无定的人;古怪的人;
And so by collecting this data you can find out information about your thyroid. 所以收集这些数据 你就可以知道甲状腺的讯息
Now, what is it, if you had a thyroid problem and you went to the doctor, your doctor would actually test the amount of thyroid stimulating hormone in your blood. 现在要是你有了甲状腺问题然后你去看医生 你的医生其实只会檢测血液中 促甲状腺激素的值
stimulating:adj.激励人的; v.促进; (stimulate的现在分词)
Fine. But the problem with that test is it doesn't tell you how active the hormone is in your body. 不错,可是这个檢测的问题在于 这并不会跟你说身体内激素的活跃度有多高
So you might have a lot of hormone present, but it might not be actively working to regulate your body temperature. 所以你可能身体里有非常多的激素 却没有办法活跃的运作 幫你调节身体的温度
regulate:v.调节;控制;
So just by collecting your temperature every day, you get information about the condition of your thyroid. 所以只要每天收集你的体温 你就可以知道关于甲状腺状况的讯息
So, what if you don't want to take your temperature every day? 那要是你不想要每天量体温呢?
I advocate that you do, but there are tons of other things you could take. 我还是建议量体温 不过也有其他东西可以记录
advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人;
You could take your blood pressure , you could take your weight — yeah, who's excited about taking their weight every day? (Laughter) 你可以记下血压、记下你的体重 当然,每天量体重 谁不开心啊? (笑声)
blood pressure:n.[医]血压;
Early on in our marriage, Donald had a stuffy nose and he had been taking a slew of medications to try to relieve his stuffy nose, to no avail . 我们刚结婚的时候唐纳会鼻塞 他尝试过一堆的医疗方法 试着要减轻鼻塞的状况,不过都没效
stuffy:adj.闷热的;古板的;不通气的; slew:n.回转; vi.扭转; vt.使扭转; v.杀害(slay的过去式); medications:n.药;药物;(medication的复数) relieve:v.减轻;缓解;缓和;接替; to no avail:无效,完全无用;
And so, that night he comes and he wakes me up and he says, "Honey, I can't breath out of my nose." 所以,有一晚他上了床然后摇醒我并说 亲爱的,我不能用鼻子呼吸了
And I roll over and I look, and I said, "Well, can you breath out of your mouth?" 我翻身过去,看了一下我说 那你可以用嘴巴呼吸吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
And he goes, "Yes, but I can't breath out of my nose!" 然后他说
And so like any good wife, I rush him to the emergency room at 2 o'clock in the morning. 所以就像每位好太太一样, 在凌晨两点的时候 我赶快带着他冲到急诊室
emergency room:n.急诊室;
And the whole time I'm driving and I'm thinking, you can't die on me now. 整路上开着车时,我都在想 你现在可不能死
We just got married, people will think I killed you! (Laughter) 我们才刚结婚欸 大家一定会以为是我杀了你! (笑声)
And so, we get to the emergency room, and the nurse sees us, and he can't breath out of his nose, and so she brings us to the back and the doctor says, "What seems to be the problem?" and he goes, "I can't breath out of my nose." 我们抵达了急诊室护士看到我们 因为我先生不能用鼻子呼吸 所以护士带我们到后方,医生说 有什么问题吗?我先生说 我不能用鼻子呼吸
And he said, "You can't breath out of your nose? 医生说 你不能用鼻子呼吸?
No, but he can breath out of his mouth. (Laughter) 没办法,可是他可以用嘴巴呼吸 (笑声)
He takes a step back and he looks at both of us and he says "Sir, I think I know the problem. 医生退了一步,看着我们俩 他说 先生,我知道你的问题了
You're having a heart attack . 你心脏病发作
heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
I'm going to order an EKG and a CAT scan for you immediately." 我要马上幫你安排心电图和电脑断层扫描
CAT scan:n.计算机层析成像扫描;
And we are thinking, no, no, no. It's not a heart attack. He can breathe, just out of his mouth. No, no, no, no, no. 我们就在想 不不不,这绝对不是心脏病发作他可以呼吸 不过只能用嘴巴呼吸不...不...不...不...不...
And so we go back and forth with this doctor because we think this is the incorrect diagnosis , and he's like, "No really, it'll be fine, just calm down." 所以我们来来回回和医生谈 因为我们觉得这个诊断不正确 他却表现出 不可能一切会没事的,你们冷静
back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的; diagnosis:n.诊断;
And I'm thinking, how do you calm down? But I don't think he's having a heart attack. 我就想,要怎么冷静?而且我不认为他是心脏病发作
And so fortunately for us, this doctor was at the end of the shift. 还好我们很幸运这位医生刚好值班结束
fortunately:adv.幸运地;
So this new doctor comes in, he sees us clearly distraught , with a husband who can't breath out of his nose. (Laughter) 当新医生进门后,他清楚地知道 我们很烦恼,烦恼着丈夫无法用 鼻子呼吸 (笑声)
distraught:adj.发狂的;心烦意乱的;
And he starts asking us questions. 接下来他开始问我们问题
He says, "Well, do you two exercise?" 他问 你们两位会运动吗?
We ride our bikes, we go to the gym occasionally . 我们骑脚踏车,偶尔去健身房
occasionally:adv.偶尔;有时候;偶然;
(Laughter) (笑声)
We move around . 我们到处走来走去
move around:v.走来走去;绕着…来回转;
And he says, "What were you doing just before you came here?" 他又问 在你们来这前,做了什么事?
I'm thinking, I was sleeping, honestly. 我就想,我那时在睡觉,这是真的
But okay, what was Donald doing just before? 很好,不过唐纳在这之前做了什么事?
So Donald goes into this slew of medications he was taking. 唐纳当时忙着服用一堆的药
He lists, "I took this decongestant and then I took this nasal spray ," 他列出药名并说 我吃了解充血药然后用这个鼻噴剂
decongestant:n.解充血药; nasal:adj.鼻的;鼻音的;n.鼻骨;鼻音;鼻音字; spray:n.喷雾; v.喷;
and then all of a sudden a lightbulb goes off and he says, "Oh! You should never mix this decongestant with this nasal spray. 突然间灵光一闪,医生说 哦! 你永远都不该把解充血药跟鼻噴剂混在一起用
all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地;
Clogs you up every time. Here, take this one instead." 这样每次鼻子都会塞住,换成这个药吧
Clogs:n.木屐;木底鞋(clog的复数);阻碍;v.堵塞;阻碍(clog的三单形式);
He gives us a prescription . 医生给我们新的处方
prescription:n.处方;药方;医生开的药;开处方;
We're looking at each other, and I looked at the doctor, and I said, "Why is it that it seems like you were able to accurately diagnose his condition, but this previous doctor wanted to order an EKG and a CAT scan?" 我们看着对方,然后我看着医生 并说 为什么看起来似乎 你能够准确地诊断出他的症状 但是前一位医生却想幫他安排 心电图和电脑断层扫描?
diagnose:vt.诊断;断定;vi.诊断;判断; previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
And he looks at us and says, "Well, when a 350-pound man walks in the emergency room and says he can't breath, you assume he's having a heart attack and you ask questions later." 医生看着我们并说 当一位350磅重的男子走进急诊室并说他无法呼吸的话 你就会认定他心脏病发作 晚点才会再问他问题
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
Now, emergency room doctors are trained to make decisions quickly, but not always accurately. 现在急诊室医生的训练都是要他们能快速做决策 但不能永远都那么准确
And so had we had some information about our heart health to share with him, maybe we would have gotten a better diagnosis the first time. 所以要是我们将自己 心脏健康的状况分享给医生 或许在第一时间我们就能有更好的诊断
I want you to consider the following chart, of systolic blood pressure measurements from October 2010 to July 2012. 我要请你们仔细看接下来的图表 这是血压收缩压测量 2010年10月到2012年7月这段期间的
systolic:adj.心脏收缩的; measurements:n.测量值,尺寸(measurement的复数);
You'll see that these measurements start in the prehypertension/hypertension zone, but over about the course of a year and a half they move into the normal zone. 你们可以发现这些测量值一开始 都在高血压前期/高血压区域内 历经一年半的时间后 这些数据跑到正常值的区间内
This is about the heart rate of a healthy 16-year-old. 这个心跳率大约跟16 岁身体健康的人一样
What story is this data telling you? 这些数据又说了什么样的故事?
Obviously it's the data from someone who's made a drastic transformation , and fortunately for us, that person happens to be here today. 很显然地,这个人的数据 有了巨大的改变 对我们来说也很幸运这位人士今天也有出席
drastic:adj.激烈的;猛烈的;n.烈性泻药; transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
So that 350-pound guy that walked into the emergency room with me is now an even sexier and healthier 225-pound guy, and that's his blood pressure trace. 那位跟我一起走进急诊室的 350 磅重男士 他现在是更性感及更健康的 225 磅重的人,那是他的血压追踪表
sexier:性感的(sexy的比较级);
So over the course of that year and a half 所以在过去一年半的时间内
Donald's eating changed and our exercise regimen changed, and his heart rate responded , his blood pressure responded to that change that he made in his body. 我们也改变运动养生方法 他的心率以及 血压都呼应着 他为身体所做的改变
regimen:n.[医]养生法;生活规则;政体;支配; responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词)
So what's the take-home message that I want you to leave with today? 所以今天在你们离开前 这演讲的重点是什么呢?
take-home:=take-homepay;
By taking ownership of your data just like we've done, just by taking this daily measurements about yourself, you become the expert on your body. 跟我们做一样的事就可以拥有自己的数据 只要每天测量自己的身体 你就能当自己身体的专家
You become the authority . 你就是身体的主人
authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
It's not hard to do. 要做到这样并不难
You don't have to have a Ph.D. in statistics to be an expert in yourself. 你不需要先成为统计学博士 才能懂自己
You don't have to have a medical degree to be your body's expert. 你不需要先取得医学学位 才能懂自己的身体
Medical doctors, they're experts on the population, but you are the expert on yourself. 医生是懂大众的专家 但你是自己身体的专家
And so when two of you come together, when two experts come together, the two of you are able to make a better decision than just your doctor alone. 所以如果能两个人一起合作 你和医生两位专家一起 两个人所做出的决定 会胜过医生一个人的决定
Now that you understand the power of information that you can get through personal data collection, 都只要透过收集自己的数据
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
I'd like you all to stand and raise your right hand. 我想要请大家站起来并举起你的右手
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yes, get it up. 对,请站起来
I challenge you to take ownership of your data. 我挑战你们成为自己身体数据的主人
And today, I hereby confer upon you a TEDx associate's degree in elementary statistics with a concentration in time-dependent data analysis with all the rights and privileges appertaining thereto . 我在此授予你们 TEDx 初阶统计学副学士学位 因你们专注花时间在分析数据上 以及其所属权利与殊榮
hereby:adv.以此方式,据此;特此; confer upon:授予,授给; elementary:adj.基本的;初级的;[化学]元素的; concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; time-dependent:n.时间依赖;时间相依;按时间的; analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; privileges:n.[计]特权(privilege的复数); v.给与…特权(privilege的第三人称单数形式); appertaining:n.属于;附属物;v.属于(appertain的ing形式); thereto:adv.另外;到那;
And so the next time you are in your doctor's office, as newly inducted statisticians, what should always be your response? 所以当你们下次到医生的办公室 作为新上任的统计学家 你们的回答应该是什么?
inducted:vt.引导;感应;使…就职;征召入伍;
Audience: Show me the data! Talithia Williams: I can't hear you! 观众: 让我看数据!泰莉西雅: 我听不到!
Audience: Show me the data! 观众: 让我看数据!
TW: One more time! TW: 再说一次!
Audience: Show me the data! 观众: 让我看数据!
TW: Show me the data. TW: 让我看数据
Thank you. 谢谢大家
(Applause)