|
|
SydneyJensen_2019S-_我们要怎样保障教师的心理健康?_-
|
Like many teachers, every year on the first day of school, |
像很多老师一样, 每年在开学的第一天, |
I lead a sort of icebreaker activity with my students. |
我都会和我们的学生 做些 破冰 活动。 |
icebreaker:n.碎冰船;破冰设备;
|
I teach at Lincoln High School in Lincoln, Nebraska , and we are one of the oldest and most diverse high schools in our state. |
我在内布拉斯加州林肯市的 林肯高中教书, 我们是整个州里最古老, 最多元的学校。 |
Nebraska:n.内布拉斯加州; diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的;
|
Also, to our knowledge, we're the only high school in the world whose mascot is the Links. |
而且,据我们所知, 我们是世界上唯一一所 把链环当作吉祥物的学校, |
mascot:n.吉祥物;福神(等于mascotte);
|
Like, a chain. |
就像是,锁链。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And with that being our mascot, we have a statue out front of our building of four links connected like a chain. |
正因为锁链是我们的吉祥物, 在我们的教学楼前有一座雕塑, 有四条似链子的东西链接而成, |
statue:n.雕像;塑像;铸像;v.用雕像装饰;
|
And each link means something. |
每一根链条都有所寓意。 |
Our links stand for tradition, excellence , unity and diversity . |
我们的锁链代表了传统、 卓越,团结和多样性。 |
excellence:n.优秀;美德;长处; unity:n.团结;一致;联合;个体; diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化:
|
So on the first day of school, |
所以在开学的第一天, |
I teach my new ninth-graders about the meaning behind those links, and I give them each a slip of paper. |
我会教九年级的新生 关于这些锁链背后的含义, 然后,我给了他们每人一张纸。 |
slip:v.溜;下降;滑落;n.纸条;衬裙;
|
On that paper, I ask them to write something about themselves. |
在纸上,我让他们写下 一些关于他们自己的事情, |
It can be something that they love, something that they hope for -- anything that describes their identity . |
可以是他们所爱的事情, 他们所期望的事—— 任何能代表他们自己的事, |
describes:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;(describe的第三人称单数) identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
|
And then I go around the room with a stapler , and I staple each of those slips together to make a chain. |
然后我拿着订书机在教室四处走动, 我把他们的纸片订在一起 做成了一条链子。 |
stapler:n.[轻]订书机;主要商品批发商;把羊毛分级的人; slips:滑倒;滑跤(slip的第三人称单数)
|
And we hang that chain up in our classroom as a decoration , sure, but also as a reminder that we are all connected. |
然后我们把它们都串起来 挂在教室里做装饰, 同时,也提醒着我们彼此间的联系。 |
decoration:n.装饰,装潢;装饰品;奖章;
|
We are all links. |
我们都是锁链。 |
So what happens when one of those links feels weak? |
那么当我们其中的一环链子 变得脆弱时会怎么样呢? |
And what happens when that weakness is in the person holding the stapler? |
而且若变脆弱的人正是 手里拿着订书机的那位又会怎样? |
The person who's supposed to make those connections. |
那位本该去建立那些联系的人。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
The teacher. |
我们的老师。 |
As teachers, we work every day to provide support socially, emotionally and academically to our students who come to us with diverse and tough circumstances . |
作为老师,我们每日工作, 在社交上、心理上和学习上 为那些来自各种各样的艰苦背景, 并寻求我们帮助的学生们提供支持。 |
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地; academically:adv.学术上;学业上; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
|
Like most teachers, |
跟大多数老师一样, |
I have students who go home every day, and they sit around the kitchen table while one or both parents makes a healthy, well-rounded meal for them. |
我也有那些每天回家 都能坐在餐桌上 享用一位家人或父母一起 准备的健康、丰盛的食物的学生。 |
sit around:无所事事; well-rounded:adj.丰满的;面面俱到的;多才多艺的;(语句)有表达力的;
|
They spend suppertime summarizing the story they read in ninth-grade English that day, or explaining how Newton's laws of motion work. |
他们用晚餐时间总结 在当天九年级英文课里 读到的故事, 或者解释牛顿的万有引力定律。 |
suppertime:n.晚饭时间; summarizing:v.汇总(summarize的ing形式);
|
But I also have students who go to the homeless shelter or to the group home. |
但是,我也有很多学生 下课后要回到流浪者之家, 或者回到教养院。 |
They go to the car that their family is sleeping in right now. |
他们会回到一家人所住的车里。 |
They come to school with trauma , and when I go home every day, that goes home with me. |
他们带着创伤来到学校, 当我每天回家时, 也带着他们的创伤。 |
trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤;
|
And see, that's the hard part about teaching. |
这就是教书的艰难之处, |
It's not the grading, the lesson-planning, the meetings, though sure, those things do occupy a great deal of teachers' time and energy. |
这无关打分,备课,或者会议, 当然,这些事情占据了 老师大量的时间和精力。 |
occupy:v.占据,占领;居住;使忙碌; a great deal of:大量;
|
The tough part about teaching is all the things you can't control for your kids, all the things you can't change for them once they walk out your door. |
教书的艰难之处, 是那些你无能为力的事, 是孩子们走出了你的这扇门, 所有那些你无法为他们改变的事。 |
And so I wonder if it's always been this way. |
所以,我在想是否 一直以来都是如此。 |
I wonder if:我不知道是否…?;
|
I think back to my undergraduate training at the University of Georgia, where we were taught in our methods classes that the concept of good teaching has changed. |
回想我在佐治亚大学接受本科 教学方法的培训时, 关于何为好的教育的概念已经改变。 |
undergraduate:n.本科生;
|
We're not developing learners who are going to go out into a workforce where they'll stand on a line in a factory. |
我们不是在培养 为了能要跻身工人行列, 在工厂的流水线上工作的学习者。 |
workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工;
|
Rather, we're sending our kids out into a workforce where they need to be able to communicate, collaborate and problem-solve. |
相反,我们要把我们的 孩子送进一个工作环境, 在那里他们能够彼此交流、 互相合作,并解决问题。 |
collaborate:vi.合作;勾结,通敌;
|
And that has caused teacher-student relationships to morph into something stronger than the giver of content and the receiver of knowledge. |
这也使得师生关系变得 比内容的给予者 和知识的接受者更强大。 |
morph:n.词态;语素;变体;vt.在屏幕上变换图像;改变; giver:n.给予者,赠予人;送礼者; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
|
Lectures and sitting in silent rows just doesn't cut it anymore. |
仅仅只是有讲师在授课, 学生在安静聆听是远远不够的, |
We have to be able to build relationships with and among our students to help them feel connected in a world that depends on it. |
我们需要与学生 建立某种关系,帮助他们 在这个依赖彼此联系的世界里 感受到这种联系。 |
I think back to my second year teaching. |
回想我开始教学的第二年, |
I had a student who I'll call "David." |
我遇到了一位叫“大卫”的学生, |
And I remember feeling like I'd done a pretty good job at teaching that year: "Hey, I ain't no first-year teacher. |
我记得在那一年里, 我觉得我的教学进展 非常顺利: “嘿,我不再是个新人老师, |
I know what I'm doing." |
我知道我在做什么。” |
And it was on the last day of school, |
那是学期的最后一天, |
I told David to have a great summer. |
我祝大卫有一个愉快的暑假。 |
And I watched him walk down the hall, and I thought to myself, |
我看着他走出大厅, 我心里想, |
I don't even know what his voice sounds like. |
我甚至都没听过他的声音。 |
And that's when I realized I wasn't doing it right. |
那一刻我忽然觉得 有什么事我做错了, |
So I changed almost everything about my teaching. |
所以我开始改变我的教学方法, |
I built in plenty of opportunities for my students to talk to me and to talk to each other, to share their writing and to verbalize their learning. |
我给予了学生很多与我交谈的机会, 同时也与彼此交谈, 分享他们的作品, 用语言表达他们所学, |
verbalize:vi.累赘;唠叨;以言语表述;vt.使…变成动词;用言语表达;
|
And it was through those conversations I began not only to know their voice but to know their pain. |
这样的对话起初不只是 为了听到他们的声音, 但也是为了听到他们的创伤。 |
I had David in class again that next year, and I learned that his father was undocumented and had been deported . |
接下来的一年, 大卫又出现在了班上, 我得知了他的父亲 因为没有合法文件, 已经被驱逐出境。 |
undocumented:adj.无事实证明的;无正式文件的; deported:v.驱逐出境,递解出境(deport的过去分词和过去式)
|
He started acting out in school because all he wanted was for his family to be together again. |
他在学校发泄他的不满, 但这不过是形式,因为他想要的 是家人能再次团圆。 |
In so many ways, I felt his pain. |
从多方面,我感受到了他的伤痛。 |
And I needed someone to listen, somebody to provide support for me so that I could support him in this thing that I could not even comprehend . |
我也渴望有人来倾听, 有人能给予我一些支持, 这样我就可以在这件我都 无法完全领悟的事上去支持他。 |
comprehend:v.理解;包含;由…组成;
|
And we recognize that need for police officers who've witnessed a gruesome crime scene and nurses who have lost a patient . |
我们认识到同样的需求 也存在于那些目睹 犯罪惨案现场的警察身上, 还有那些眼睁睁看着 病人离世的护士身上。 |
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词) gruesome:adj.可怕的;阴森的; patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者;
|
But when it comes to teaching professionals , that urgency is lagging . |
但是当考虑到教师岗位时, 其紧迫性还很滞后, |
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事; lagging:v.缓慢移动;发展缓慢;滞后;落后于;(lag的现在分词)
|
I believe it's paramount that students and teachers, administrators , paraprofessionals and all other support staff have convenient and affordable access to mental wellness supports. |
我相信, 让学生和老师, 行政管理人员、辅助性专业人员, 以及所有其他支持教职工 得到便捷和可负担的 心理健康支持尤其必要。 |
paramount:adj.最重要的,主要的;至高无上的;n.最高统治者; administrators:n.[管理]管理员;完全程序(administrator的复数形式); paraprofessionals:adj.辅助专职人员[医师]的(人); (paraprofessional的复数); convenient:adj.实用的;便利的;方便的; affordable:adj.负担得起的; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; wellness:n.健康;
|
When we are constantly serving others, often between 25 and 125 students each day, our emotional piggy banks are constantly being drawn upon. |
当我们在不断地为他人服务, 每天大概要管理 25 到 125 名学生时, 我们自己的情感储蓄罐 也在不断地被提取, |
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; piggy:adj.贪心的;n.小猪;
|
After a while, it can become so depleted , that we just can't bear it anymore. |
过一段时间,它终会耗尽, 我们或许再也受不了了。 |
depleted:v.大量减少;耗尽;使枯竭;(deplete的过去分词和过去式)
|
They call it " secondary trauma" and " compassion fatigue ," |
人们把它称之为“二次创伤” 和“同情疲劳”, |
secondary:adj.第二的;中等的;次要的;中级的;n.副手;代理人; compassion:n.同情;怜悯; fatigue:n.疲劳;劳累;厌倦;(金属或木材的)疲劳;v.疲劳;使疲乏;(士兵)担任杂役;
|
the concept that we absorb the traumas our students share with us each day. |
即每天在分担学生的痛苦时, 自己也受到了情感影响。 |
absorb:v.吸收;使并入;吞并;同化;理解;吸收;耗费;承受; traumas:n.外伤;精神创伤(trauma的复数);
|
And after a while, our souls become weighed down by the heaviness of it all. |
再过一些日子, 我们的灵魂将 不能承受生命之沉重, |
heaviness:n.沉重;沉闷;笨拙;迟钝;忧伤;
|
The Buffett Institute at the University of Nebraska recently found that most teachers -- 86 percent across early childhood settings -- experienced some depressive symptoms during the prior week. |
内布拉斯加州大学 巴菲特研究所 在最新的研究中发现, 大多数老师—— 孩童早期教育行业中 86% 的老师—— 在早期经历过不同程度的抑郁症状。 |
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; recently:adv.最近;新近; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 depressive:adj.抑郁的;压抑的; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数) prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先;
|
They found that approximately one in 10 reported clinically significant depressive symptoms. |
他们发现大约十位里面就有一位 报告称有临床抑郁症状。 |
approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于; clinically:adv.临床地;门诊部地;不偏不倚;通过临床诊断; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
|
My interactions with colleagues and my own experiences make me feel like this is a universal struggle across all grade levels. |
我和同事们的交流 以及我自身的经历 让我觉得这是一个跨越所有年级 的普遍斗争。 |
interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数) colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
|
So what are we missing? |
那我们缺少了什么? |
What are we allowing to break the chain and how do we repair it? |
我们该用什么打破这样的锁链, 又该如何修复它? |
repair:v.修理;修补;修缮;补救;n.修理;修补;修缮;
|
In my career , |
在我的职业生涯, |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
I've experienced the death by suicide of two students and one amazing teacher who loved his kids; countless students experiencing homelessness; and kids entering and exiting the justice system. |
我经历过两位学生的自杀, 以及一位了不起的老师的自杀。 他很爱他的孩子们; 无数的学生经受着无家可归的折磨; 还有那些进出司法系统的孩子们。 |
suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀; countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
|
When these events happen, protocol is to say, "If you need someone to talk to, then ..." |
当这些事情发生时, 我们总是礼貌性的说, “如果你需要和某人谈谈,那么……” |
protocol:n.协议;草案;礼仪;vt.拟定;vi.拟定;
|
And I say that's not enough. |
我认为这远远不够, |
I am so lucky. |
我很幸运, |
I work in an amazing school with great leadership. |
我在一所有着出色领导力的 优秀的学校里工作, |
I serve a large district with so many healthy partnerships with community agencies . |
我服务于一个很大的地区, 与社区机构有很多 健康的合作关系。 |
partnerships:n.伙伴关系;合伙;(partnership的复数) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; agencies:n.代理;代理处(agency的复数);
|
They have provided steadily increasing numbers of school counselors and therapists and support staff to help our students. |
他们为学生们提供了 越来越多的学校辅导员、 治疗师和辅助人员。 |
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式) steadily:adv.稳定地;稳固地;有规则地; counselors:n.辅导员;顾问(counselor的复数形式); therapists:n.治疗专家(therapist的复数);
|
They even provide staff members with access to free counseling as part of our employment plan. |
他们甚至为教职工提供了 免费咨询服务, 作为我们就业合约的一部分。 |
counseling:n.咨询服务;v.建议;劝告;商讨;(counsel的现在分词形式) employment:n.使用;职业;雇用;
|
But many small districts and even some large ones simply cannot foot the bill without aid. |
但是还有很多小的地区, 甚至是一些较大的地区, 没有援助根本无法负担这些服务。 |
foot the bill:负担费用,付帐;
|
(Exhales) |
(呼气) |
Not only does every school need social and emotional support staff, trained professionals who can navigate the needs of the building -- not just the students, not just the teachers, but both -- we also need these trained professionals |
不仅是每一个学校 需要社会和心理支持职工, 训练有素的专业人员, 能够满足教学的需要—— 不仅是学生或者老师需要, 而是两者都需要—— 我们需要这些训练有素的专业人员 |
navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
|
to intentionally seek out those closest to the trauma and check in with them. |
去发现那些最接近创伤的人们, 并与他们会诊。 |
intentionally:adv.故意地,有意地; seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
|
Many schools are doing what they can to fill in the gaps , starting with acknowledging that the work that we do is downright hard. |
很多学校正尽其所能 来填补空缺, 首先,要承认我们所做的工作 是非常艰苦的。 |
gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式); downright:adj.明白的;直率的;显明的;adv.完全,彻底;全然;
|
Another school in Lincoln, Schoo Middle School , has what they call "Wellness Wednesdays ." |
林肯的另一所学校, 斯克中学, 有一项他们称之为 “健康星期三”的倡议。 |
Middle School:n.初中;(英国为9到13岁儿童所设的)中间学校; Wednesdays:每星期三(Wednesday的复数)
|
They invite in community yoga teachers, they sponsor walks around the neighborhood during lunch and organize social events that are all meant to bring people together. |
他们邀请社区瑜伽老师, 他们也邀请大家 在午餐时去周围散心, 和组织社交活动, 为了把所有人连结在一起。 |
yoga:n.瑜珈(意为"结合",指修行);瑜珈术;联想可360°翻转的平板电脑; sponsor:n.赞助商; v.主办; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
|
Zachary Elementary School in Zachary, Louisiana , has something they call a " Midweek Meetup," |
路易斯安那州 扎卡里的扎卡里小学, 想出了他们称之“周中会议”计划, |
Elementary School:小学; Louisiana:n.美国路易斯安那州; Midweek:n.星期三;adj.星期三的;adv.在一星期的中间日子;
|
where they invite teachers to share lunch and to talk about the things that are going well and the things that are weighing heavy on their hearts. |
他们邀请老师共进午餐, 谈论所有进展顺利的事情, 以及让他们倍感压力的事情。 |
These schools are making space for conversations that matter. |
这些学校为 有价值的交流提供了空间, |
Finally , my friend and colleague Jen Highstreet takes five minutes out of each day to write an encouraging note to a colleague, letting them know that she sees their hard work and the heart that they share with others. |
最后,我的朋友和同事 珍·海尔斯崔特, 每天都会花五分钟 给同事们留下鼓舞人心的便条, 告诉我们她看到了他们的付出, 以及他们与人分享的真心。 |
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
She knows that those five minutes can have an invaluable and powerful ripple effect across our school. |
她明白这五分钟 可以在整个学校产生无价的、 强大的涟漪效应。 |
invaluable:adj.无价的;非常贵重的; ripple effect:n.连锁反应;
|
The chain that hangs in my classroom is more than just a decoration. |
挂在我们教室里的链条 远远不只是装饰品。 |
Those links hang over our heads for the entire four years that our students walk our halls. |
在我们的学生们走过的整个四年里, 这些锁链一直萦绕在我们的头上。 |
And every year, and they can still point out where their link hangs. |
而每年, 指着挂着他们自己锁链的地方, |
They remember what they wrote on it. |
他们记得自己在上面写下的内容。 |
They feel connected and supported. |
他们感受到了彼此的联系和支持, |
And they have hope. |
因而拥有了希望。 |
Isn't that what we all need? |
这不就是我们所需要的吗? |
Somebody to reach out and make sure that we're OK. |
有人能来问问我们是否都好, |
To check in with us and remind us that we are a link. |
来关心我们, 并提醒我们都是一环锁链。 |
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
Every now and then , we all just need a little help holding the stapler. |
时不时,我们都需要一点点帮助 来握住那个订书机。 |
Every now and then:不时地;常常;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |