返回首页

SwizzBeatz_2020-_如何支持和赞赏在世的艺术家_-

Swizz Beatz: I got it. Swizz Beatz: 我懂了。
So are you guys going to mute when I talk so nothing interrupts it? 那么我讲话的时候你们会闭麦, 不会有人打断吧?
Voice: Uhh, yes. 画外音:啊,是的。
SB: Because once I'm in the flow, I like to stay in the flow. 斯维兹:因为通常我进入状态之后, 希望能保持住这种状态。
Swizz:n.欺骗;诈取;vt.欺骗;使上当; mute:adj.沉默的;无声的;哑的;n.弱音器;哑巴;v.消音;减音;减弱;缓解; interrupts:n.中断(interrupt的复数);v.打断(interrupt的三单形式);
Having some type of support is very necessary when you are creative . 在你进行创作时, 获得某种支持是非常必要的。
You know, there has to be something that's fueling that creativity, that's fueling that fire that you have inside. 必须有什么东西 来让你的创造力燃烧, 让你内心的火焰继续燃烧。
My love for music and creativity starts way back, way back. 我对音乐和创意的热爱 从很久很久以前就开始了——
creative:adj.创造性的;
Back in the South Bronx where I grew up, building 700, apartment 2E. 从我长大的地方,南布朗克斯 700 号楼, 2E 公寓。
I would go outside and all I would hear is music. 走到街上时,我听到的全是音乐。
You go around to the back park, the DJs are playing, there's a basketball game going on, but then you would look at the handball court, and that handball court would have an amazing graffiti mural , 你走到后街的停车场, 看到 DJ 在打碟, 有一场篮球比赛在进行, 然后你再看向手球场, 旁边有一幅令人叹为观止的涂鸦壁画,
Bronx:n.布朗克斯(纽约市最北端的一区);布朗克斯鸡尾酒; handball:n.手球,手球运动; graffiti:n.墙上乱写乱画的东西(graffito的复数形式); mural:adj.墙壁的;n.壁画;(美)壁饰;
I don't know if it's from Keith Haring or Fab 5 Freddy. 我不知道那是出自 Keith Haring 还是 Fab 5 Freddy 的手笔。
I was instantly attracted to the creative. 我立刻被创造力深深吸引了。
Music has been my therapy since day one. 从一开始,音乐就是我的疗伤手段。
Anytime I get stressed out, 任何时候当我觉得压力过大,
I go to the arts, I go to creativity, I go to music. 我都会投身艺术、 投身创意、投身音乐。
Music makes people feel hugged, people feel loved. 音乐给人被拥抱的感觉、 被爱的感觉。
And then I remember one of my uncles saying, "You should get into producing," I'm like, "What's producing?" 我记得我的一个叔叔说过, “你应该当制作人。” 我说,“制作人是什么?”[01:16]
therapy:n.治疗,疗法;
You know, it started as a family-owned business, because Ruff Ryders was created by my family. 拉夫·莱达斯娱乐公司(Ruff Ryders) 刚开始是一间家族企业, 是由我的家人创建的。
It gave you DMX, it gave you Eve , it gave you Drag-On, it gave you The LOX. 它给你们带来了 DMX、Eve、 Drag-On、The LOX。 [ 均为着名嘻哈歌手 ]
I've gotten every accolade in music that one can get. 我把音乐界的所有奖项拿了个遍。
It just came to the point where it's like, "You know what? 然后到了某一刻,我就觉得, “ 你知道吗,
Ruff:n.轴环; vt.出王牌; vi.出王牌; Eve:n.前夕;夜晚; accolade:n.荣誉;荣誉称号授予仪式;连谱号;称赞;
I'm no longer going to have fun with this unless I'm able to give back." 除非我能回馈什么, 否则我将无法继续追寻乐趣。”
You know, The Dean Collection started for me to create a museum for my family and our name. “The Dean Collection” (迪恩收藏) 创立的契机,是我想为我的家庭和姓氏 创造一间博物馆。 [ Swizz Beatz 姓 “Dean” ]
Something that my kids would have to be responsible to pass through generations. 某件我的小孩需要负起责任、 代代相传的东西。
I said, "Wait a minute, 我说,“ 等一下,
The Dean Collection is not just for The Dean Collection, 迪恩收藏不只是为了迪恩收藏,
The Dean Collection is for everyone." 也是为了所有人打造的。”[01:56]
Dean:n.院长;系主任;教务长;主持牧师; responsible to:负责; pass through:穿过;经历;经验;遭受;
There are some galleries now and places you walk in, if you don't have 50,000, there's nothing to talk about. 现在有些类似画廊的地方, 如果你掏不出五万美元, 办画展就无从谈起。
And I felt that a lot of people were using that as an excuse to exit art. 我觉得很多人在把这个当做 退出艺术的借口。
They feel that art is only for rich people. 他们觉得艺术只是 给有钱人玩的。
Whoa. 哇哦。
We've got to stop this, we've got to fix this. 我们必须停止并修正这种现象。[02:13]
galleries:n.美术馆(gallery的复数);图表种类;
And that's what made me and my wife say, you know, we have to create an entry point to the younger generation that didn't understand the art world, didn't have their seat at the table, and then we started "No Commissions ." 于是我和我妻子都认为, 我们必须要为 还不了解艺术世界、 还没有发言权的年轻一代 创造一个入口。 于是我们创办了 “No Commissions” (无委托费艺术展)。
It's a big event, you got 30-something-thousand RSVPs a night. 这是一场盛大的庆典, 每晚有三万多人报名参加。
The drinks are free, the food is free, the concert's free. 饮料和食物是免费的, 音乐会是免费的。
The education is free, and I feel that education should be free. 教育是免费的, 而且我觉得教育 本就应当是免费的。
Commissions:n.[会计]佣金,[会计]手续费;现金奖励情况(commission的复数);
We went to Shanghai, we went to London, we went to Berlin, we did it right in my backyard in the South Bronx. 我们去了上海、伦敦、 柏林, 还在我南布朗克斯的后院里举办过。
You can come in to "No Commissions" 当你走进 “No Commissions”,
and get something for a couple of bucks , or a couple hundred thousand. 花几美元就能买到作品, 你也可以花上几十万美元。
There's a tier for every person that has love for art. 每个热爱艺术的人 都能找到适合自己的消费层次。
backyard:n.后院;后庭; bucks:n.元;雄鹿;(buck的复数) tier:n.层,排;行,列;等级;vt.使层叠;vi.成递升徘列;
And what we're doing is something totally different from a gallery . 而我们的做法和画廊完全不同。
The artists keep 100 percent of the sales. 销售收入 100% 归艺术家所有。
But what about after "No Commissions," 但在 “No Commissions” 之后该怎么办?
how can you sustain , how can you move forward without having to be trapped to sell your soul? 怎样才能在不用担心 出卖灵魂的情况下 继续维持,甚至进一步发展?
gallery:n.画廊;走廊;旁听席;地道;v.在…修建走廊;挖地道; sustain:v.支持;支撑;遭受;证实; trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式)
I was a part of the sale with my brother Sean " Diddy " Combs , the 21-million-dollar purchase , which made Kerry James Marshall the highest-selling African American living artist to today. 我的哥们 Sean Diddy Combs (吹牛老爹)购买的作品 以 2100 万美元成交时我也在场, 这次交易也让 Kerry James Marshall 成为了今天仍在世的 作品售价最高的美国非裔艺术家。
I'm like, "Man, you just broke the record," 我说,“兄弟,你刚破了记录。”
and the artist was like, "Yeah, I don't know whether to be happy or to be sad." 而艺术家则说, “是啊,我也不知道 该感到高兴还是难过。”
He first sold that work, it was under 100,000. 他最初卖出那幅画作时, 售价还不到 10 万美元。
Diddy:n.吉卜赛人;adj.小的; Combs:n.梳子(comb的复数);v.梳头发;梳毛(comb的第三人称单数); purchase:n.购买;采购;购买的东西;购买项目;v.购买;采购; African American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
So imagine a work that you made for under 100,000 is now being sold for 21 million, and you had to sit home and watch this. 想象一下,一件你卖了 10 万美元的作品, 现在正以 2100 万美元的价格成交, 而你只能坐在家里看着,
And you couldn't even participate five percent. 甚至连 5% 都拿不到。
When you look at it, 仔细想想,
I'm a producer, I'm a songwriter , every time it's played on the radio, 我是一名制作人、词曲作家, 每次在电台上播放我的歌,
I get paid. 我都能收钱。
Every time it's played in a movie, 每次在电影中播放我的歌,[03:56]
participate:v.参加;参与; songwriter:n.流行歌曲的作者;歌曲作家;
I get paid. 我都能收钱。
Every time it plays, period, 每次播放我的歌,就这样,
I get paid. 我都能收钱。
Visual artists, they only get paid once. 而视觉艺术家,他们只收一次钱。
How, when paintings are sold and traded multiple times? 但画作会被多次出售、交易, 怎么会这样?
And that's that artist's lifetime work, that other people are making 10, 15, sometimes 100 times more than the artist that created it. 这可是艺术家的毕生心血, 而别人用它赚的钱是创作者收入的
Visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
So I created something called the Dean's Choice, where if you're a seller, or a collector, and you bring in your work into, let's say, Sotheby's, there's a paper that's there that says, "Hey, guys, you know, this artist is still living. 于是我创建了“Dean*s Choice” (迪恩的选择)支持系统: 如果你是卖家 或者收藏家, 你把你的藏品拿到苏富比拍卖行, 那里会有张纸说,“ 各位知道吗, 这位艺术家还在世。
You've made 300 percent on your investment by working with this artist. 你和这位艺术家合作, 让你的投资获得了 300% 的回报。
You can choose to give the artist whatever you want of the sale." 你可以选择把拍卖所得的 任意数额转给这位艺术家。”
I think that even if five people did it, it'll start to change everything in the arts. 我觉得哪怕只有五个人这么做, 这也会让艺术界的一切开始改变。
investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
And this is happening in Europe already. 在欧洲,这种变化已经在发生了。
It happens in the music industry, it's called publishing. 在音乐产业,这种变化 叫做版权。
And artists are able to survive, musicians are able to survive, years after years, off of the residual income of their publishing. 这样一来,艺术家、 音乐家 可以年复一年地 靠版权的剩余收益维持生计。
So how can we take something that brings creatives together, and celebrate each other? 那么我们怎样才能 让创意工作者聚在一起, 彼此支持和赞赏呢?
Myself and Timbaland have been working on this idea called Verzuz for about three years now. 我和 Timabaland(提姆巴兰) 研究一个叫做 “Verzuz” 的想法 已经有三年了。
residual:n.剩余;残渣;adj.剩余的;残留的; creatives:n.创意人员(creative的复数);
Then this trying time came, and everybody started going to social media to express themselves. 然后碰到了这个艰难时期, 大家都跑到社交媒体上 表达自己。
So what we did was I played my top songs, he played his top songs, and we went on Instagram Live. 于是我们做了一件事: 我表演我的热门歌曲, 他表演他的热门歌曲, 我们跑到 Instagram 上直播。
(Video) (Laughter) (视频)(笑声)
Timbaland: You having fun? Timbaland: 你觉得好玩吗?
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务; Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序);
This is so good for the culture. 这对文化真好!我们继续!
SB: A lot of people like to say "battle," 斯维兹:很多人喜欢说“斗歌”(battle),
we pulled back off of that word "battle," 但我们避开了 “斗” 这个字眼,
because we're battling enough in the world today. 因为在当今世界, 我们的斗争已经够多了。
We call it educational celebration. 我们把它叫做 “寓教于乐的庆典”。
I think we're on our ninth or tenth one. 我想我们已经直播了 九次或者十次了吧。
Me and Timbaland started out with 20,000 people. 刚开始时,我和 Timbaland 大约有 2 万名观众。
As of yesterday, 750,000 people in one room. 昨天,一个直播间里就有 75 万人。
So, we have this thing called the "Verzuz Effect." 我们看到了这种 “Verzuz 效应”。[06:03]
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的
And the "Verzuz Effect" is what happens to the artist after they contribute to Verzuz. “Verzuz 效应” 是艺术家 对 Verzuz 做出贡献后, 所经历的事情。
We can go to the Babyface and Teddy Riley . 比如 Babyface 和 Teddy Riley,
They both went up millions of views. 他们的直播观看数都涨了几百万。
Both of their songs reentered the charts. 他们两人的单曲都重归了榜单。
And then we look at the first ladies Verzuz, and both Erykah Badu and Jill Scott have seven positions in the top 20 charts. 再比如头两位 Verzuz 女性, Erykah Badu 和 Jill Scott, 她们的作品在前 20 的榜单里 都占据了七个位置。[06:23]
contribute to:有助于;捐献; Babyface:n.娃娃脸(歌手名); Teddy:泰迪玩具熊 Riley:adj.生气的; reentered:v.重返;重新存入;[律]收回(贷出物);再进入;(reenter的过去分词和过去式)
This is the Verzuz Effect. 这就是 “Verzuz 效应”:
You know, billions and billions and billions of impressions . 数以十亿计的点击量。
This is something I've never seen before. 我从来没有见过这样的事情。
And I felt that these artists are getting their flowers today, which is a great thing, while they can smell them. 我觉得今天这些艺术家们能收获鲜花, 嗅到花香,是一件很美好的事。
This was personal for me, because many a times I've been counted out, 这对于我个人也意义非凡, 因为我曾被排挤过无数次,
impressions:n.印象;观感;(impression的复数) personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
I've been hot and cold 100 times. 受到过上百次忽冷忽热的对待。
You still have to understand the business as an artist, to elevate to your level that you deserve to be. 作为一名艺术家, 你也要多少了解一下如何做生意, 并提升到与你的艺术造诣持平。
Because most creatives, we're very emotional , we're very "let somebody else handle that, I want to stick to this." 因为很多创作者,我们都很情绪化, 我们很想 “让别人处理那些事吧, 我只想埋头创作。”
But not only creativity is key, education is key, which is the reason why I went back to school to sharpen my pencil in my mid-30s. 但关键的不仅是创造力, 还有教育, 这也是为什么我在 30 多岁时 重返校园,重拾书本。
elevate:vt.提升;举起;振奋情绪等;提升…的职位; deserve:vi.应受,应得; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸; sharpen:vt.削尖;磨快;使敏捷;加重;vi.尖锐;变锋利;
We have to know our business. 我们必须了解自己的行业。
But it's going to take us digging in a little deeper and pulling out the knowledge that we need to prepare ourselves for this world that's waiting to take advantage of the creatives. 但我们要钻研得更深一些, 挖掘我们所需的知识, 才能做好准备, 应对这个等着 占创作者便宜的世界。
Then we can make better choices, then we can end that conversation of artists dying poor. 然后我们就能做出更好的选择, 我们就能终结“艺术家注定 终身贫困潦倒”的说法。
If we're not protecting the arts, we're not protecting our future, we're not protecting this world. 如果我们不保护艺术, 我们就无法保护我们的未来、 我们的世界。
take advantage of:利用;
Creativity heals us. 创造力能治愈我们。
What's these shades closing for? 这窗帘拉上是什么意思?
Time out. 就这样吧。
(Scoffs) (笑)
Voice: I kind of like that. That was cool. 画外音:我挺喜欢的,太酷了。[07:54]
heals:霍尼韦尔错误分析与记录系统; shades:n.阴凉处; v.给…遮挡(光线); (shade的第三人称单数和复数)
SB: (Laughs) 斯维兹:(笑)