返回首页

SuzanneBarakat_2016W-_伊斯兰恐惧症杀害了我的弟弟_让我们一起终止仇恨。_

Last year, three of my family members were gruesomely murdered in a hate crime . 去年, 我的三个家人在一次复仇的犯罪中, 被残忍的杀害了。
hate crime:n.(因种族、同性恋等歧视引起的)仇恨犯罪;仇恨犯罪行为;
It goes without saying that it's really difficult for me to be here today, but my brother Deah, his wife Yusor, and her sister Razan don't give me much of a choice. 现在我站在这里, 不用说是很困难的, 但是我的弟弟迪亚, 他的妻子尤瑟, 和他的妹妹拉赞 没有给我很多选择。
I'm hopeful that by the end of this talk you will make a choice, and join me in standing up against hate. 我希望这个演讲结束,你们会给我一个选择, 加入我,抵抗仇恨。
It's December 27, 2014: the morning of my brother's wedding day. 2014年12月17号, 我弟弟婚礼那天的早晨,
He asks me to come over and comb his hair in preparation for his wedding photo shoot . 他要我到他那儿,帮他整理头发, 为婚礼的拍摄做准备。
comb:n.梳子;梳理(头发);v.梳理(头发); photo shoot:n.(为名人、时装模特等所作的)专业摄影;
A 23-year-old, six-foot-three basketball, particularly Steph Curry , fanatic 一个23岁,1米9,喜欢斯蒂芬库里的篮球爱好者,
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; Curry:vt.用咖喱烧,给…加咖喱粉;梳刷;鞭打;n.咖哩粉,咖喱;咖哩饭菜; fanatic:n.狂热入迷者;盲信者;盲信;adj.狂热的;盲信的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
An American kid in dental school ready to take on the world. 一个准备走入社会的美国牙科学生。
dental:n.牙医;[语]齿音;;adj.牙齿的;牙科的;齿音的;
When Deah and Yusor have their first dance, 当迪亚和尤瑟跳了第一支舞。
I see the love in his eyes, her reciprocated joy, and my emotions begin to overwhelm me. 我从他的眼睛和她的欢乐里 看到了爱情。 我开始抑制不住自己的情绪。
reciprocated:v.回报;回应;沿直线往复移动;(reciprocate的过去分词和过去式) emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) overwhelm:v.压倒;难以禁受;击败;征服;淹没;
I move to the back of the hall and burst into tears . 我走到了大厅后面,泪水夺眶而出。
burst into tears:突然哭起来;大笑;
And the second the song finishes playing, he beelines towards me, buries me into his arms and rocks me back and forth . 第二首歌结束了, 他冲向我, 把我埋入他的怀里, 前后摇晃着我,
beelines:n.直线; back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的;
Even in that moment, when everything was so distracting , he was attuned to me. 即使在那个时候, 一切都很吵杂, 他跟我还是很协调。
distracting:adj.令人分心的; v.转移(注意力); (distract的现在分词) attuned:adj.熟悉; v.使协调; (attune的过去分词和过去式)
He cups my face and says, "Suzanne, 他搂着我的脸,说 “苏赞,
I am who I am because of you. 我到现在这样都是因为你。
Thank you for everything. 谢谢你所做的一切。
I love you." 我爱你。”
About a month later, I'm back home in North Carolina for a short visit, and on the last evening, I run upstairs to Deah's room, eager to find out how he's feeling being a newly married man. 大约一个月后,我从北加州短暂回到家乡, 最后一个晚上,我跑上楼到迪亚的房间, 渴望想知道他结婚后的感觉,
Carolina:n.卡罗莱纳州(在美国东南部);
With a big boyish smile he says, "I'm so happy. I love her. She's an amazing girl." 他带着男孩般的笑容说, “我非常开心,我爱她。她是一个很棒的女孩。”
boyish:adj.男孩的;孩子气的;(女孩)像男孩的;
And she is. 她是这样的。
At just 21, she'd recently been accepted to join Deah at UNC dental school. 21岁的她刚刚被迪亚就读 的UNC牙科学校录取。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
She shared his love for basketball, and at her urging, they started their honeymoon off attending their favorite team of the NBA, the LA Lakers . 他们都很喜欢篮球, 她希望以他们最喜欢队伍的一场NBA比赛开始他们的蜜月。 洛杉矶湖人。
honeymoon:n.蜜月;(新活动之初的)和谐时期;v.(去某处)度蜜月 Lakers:n.湖人队(美国篮球队名);
I mean, check out that form. 看看这个动作。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I'll never forget that moment sitting there with him — how free he was in his happiness. 我永远不会忘记那个时刻,坐在他旁边, 他沉浸在欢乐之中。
My littler brother, a basketball-obsessed kid, had become and transformed into an accomplished young man. 我的弟弟,一个热爱篮球的孩子, 变成了一个颇有成就的年轻人。
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式) accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式)
He was at the top of his dental school class, and alongside Yusor and Razan, was involved in local and international community service projects dedicated to the homeless and refugees , including a dental relief trip they were planning for Syrian refugees in Turkey. 他在牙科学校名列前茅, 和尤瑟、拉赞 参与了一个当地和国际的社区服务项目 为了无家可归的人和难民, 包括一个他们计划的牙科学术旅行, 为了土耳其的叙利亚难民。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) community service:n.社区服务(自愿或因受法庭惩罚的无偿劳动); dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数) relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕; Syrian:adj.叙利亚的;叙利亚人的;叙利亚语的;n.叙利亚人;叙利亚语;
Razan, at just 19, used her creativity as an architectural engineering student to serve those around her, making care packages for the local homeless, among other projects. 拉赞只有19岁, 作为一个建筑工程系学生,用她的创造力 服务于身边的人, 给当地无家可归的人们制作关怀包裹, 和其他项目。
architectural:adj.建筑学的;建筑上的;符合建筑法的; engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词)
That is who they were. 他们是这样的。
Standing there that night, 那个晚上,我站在那里,
I take a deep breath and look at Deah and tell him, "I have never been more proud of you than I am in this moment." 我深呼吸,看着迪亚说: “我从来没有比现在更为你感到骄傲。”
He pulls me into his tall frame , hugs me goodnight, and I leave the next morning without waking him to go back to San Francisco. 他把我搂入怀抱, 拥抱我并道晚安, 第二个早上我没有叫醒他就动身 返回旧金山了。
frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
That is the last time I ever hug him. 这是我最后一次拥抱他。
Ten days later, I'm on call at San Francisco General Hospital when I receive a barrage of vague text messages expressing condolences . 十天后,我在旧金山医院值班, 我收到了很多吊唁的短信。
barrage:n.弹幕; vt.以密集炮火进攻; vi.以密集火力阻击; vague:adj.模糊的;含糊的;不明确的;暧昧的; expressing:v.表示;表达;表露;显而易见;(express的现在分词) condolences:n.吊唁;慰唁;(condolence的复数)
Confused , I call my father, who calmly intones, "There's been a shooting in Deah's neighborhood in Chapel Hill. 疑惑中,我给父亲打了电话,他平静地说, “在教堂山迪亚的社区发生了一起枪击案,
Confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) calmly:adv.冷静地;平静地;安静地; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; Chapel:n.小礼拜堂,小教堂;礼拜;adj.非国教的;
It's on lock-down. That's all we know." 现在被封锁了,这是我知道的全部。”
I hang up and quickly Google , "shooting in Chapel Hill." 我挂断电话,迅速上网搜索了”教堂山枪击“,
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
One hit comes up. 出现了一条新闻,
Quote : "Three people were shot in the back of the head and confirmed dead on the scene." 是这样的: “三人被从身后击中, 被确定死亡。”
Quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用;
Something in me just knows. 冥冥之中我知道。
I fling out of my chair and faint onto the gritty hospital floor, wailing . 我摔下椅子,晕倒在冰冷的医院地板上, 哭泣着。
fling:v.猛扔;扔,掷,抛,丢;n.一阵尽情欢乐;一时的放纵; faint:n.昏厥;v.昏厥;adj.昏眩;(光,声,味)微弱的;微小的;可能性不大的; gritty:adj.坚韧不拔的;有砂砾的;多沙的;像砂的; wailing:v.(因悲伤或疼痛)哭号;大声呼叫;高声抱怨;呼啸;(wail的现在分词)
I take the first red-eye out of San Francisco, numb and disoriented . 我带着哭红的眼睛到了洛杉矶, 盲目和迷茫。
red-eye:adj.夜行班次的(美国工商人士自西岸赴东岸公干,多乘夜班飞机; n.长途夜航航班; disoriented:adj.无判断力的; v.使迷失方向; (disorient的过去时和过去分词)
I walk into my childhood home and faint into my parents' arms, sobbing . 我走进儿时的家,晕倒在父母的怀抱里, 抽泣着。
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 sobbing:v.哭诉;泣诉;抽噎着说;(sob的现在分词)
I then run up to Deah's room as I did so many times before, just looking for him, only to find a void that will never be filled. 我跑进迪亚的房间,像我往常一样, 寻找他, 却只找到了一个永远不会被填满的空洞。
run up to:跑到;达到;积累到; void:adj.空的;无效的;无人的;n.空虚;空间;空隙;v.使无效;排放;
Investigation and autopsy reports eventually revealed the sequence of events. 调查和尸检终于揭示 事情的经过。
autopsy:n.验尸;[病理][特医]尸体解剖;[病理][特医]尸体剖检; eventually:adv.最后,终于; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列;
Deah had just gotten off the bus from class, 迪亚刚刚下了从学校的巴士。
Razan was visiting for dinner, already at home with Yusor. 拉赞拜访他家, 和尤瑟在他家吃晚饭,
As they began to eat, they heard a knock on the door. 当他们开始吃晚饭的时候,他们听到敲门声,
When Deah opened it, their neighbor proceeded to fire multiple shots at him. 当迪亚开门的时候, 那个邻居开始朝他连开数枪,
proceeded:v.继续做;接着做;继而做;行进;前往;(proceed的过去分词和过去式) multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
According to 911 calls, the girls were heard screaming. 根据911的电话记录, 有人听到女孩尖叫。
According to:根据,据说;
The man turned towards the kitchen and fired a single shot into Yusor's hip , immobilizing her. 那个男人走向厨房,向尤瑟的臀部开了一枪, 使她无法动弹。
hip:n.臀部;蔷薇果;忧郁;adj.熟悉内情的;非常时尚的; immobilizing:v.使不动(immobilize的ing形式);
He then approached her from behind, pressed the barrel of his gun against her head, and with a single bullet , lacerated her midbrain . 他从后面接近她, 把枪口对着她的头, 一颗子弹撕裂了她的脑部。
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) barrel:n.桶;枪管;一桶(的量);v.飞驰; bullet:n.子弹;只选某党全部候选人的投票;豆子;vi.射出;迅速行进; lacerated:adj.撕裂的;受伤的;v.撕裂(lacerate的过去式和过去分词);划破; midbrain:n.[解剖][动]中脑;
He then turned towards Razan, who was screaming for her life, and, execution-style, with a single bullet to the back of the head, killed her. 他又转向尖叫的拉赞, 像死刑似的,一颗子弹 射入了她的脑后, 杀了她。
On his way out, he shot Deah one last time — a bullet in the mouth — for a total of eight bullets : two lodged in the head, two in his chest and the rest in his extremities . 在他出去的路上, 他朝迪亚嘴里射了最后一枪, 总共八颗子弹, 两颗在头部, 两颗在他胸部, 剩下的再他的四肢。
bullets:n.子弹;弹丸;(bullet的复数) lodged:v.lodge的过去分词; extremities:n.四肢,骨端;末端,极限(extremity复数形式);手足;
Deah, Yusor and Razan were executed in a place that was meant to be safe: their home. 迪亚,尤瑟和拉赞 在一个本应该安全的地方——他们的家被杀害,
executed:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的过去分词和过去式)
For months, this man had been harassing them: knocking on their door, brandishing his gun on a couple of occasions. 几个月来,这个男人一直在骚扰他们, 敲他们家的门, 有时炫耀他的枪。
harassing:v.侵扰;骚扰;不断攻击(敌人);(harass的现在分词) brandishing:vt.挥舞;炫耀;n.挥舞;
His Facebook was cluttered with anti-religion posts. 他的脸书充满了反宗教的推文。
cluttered:adj.杂乱的; v.凌乱地塞满; (clutter的过去分词和过去式)
Yusor felt particularly threatened by him. 尤瑟尤其感觉被他威胁,
As she was moving in, he told Yusor and her mom that he didn't like the way they looked. 在她搬进去的时候, 他告诉尤瑟和她的母亲他不喜欢她们的长相。
In response , Yusor's mom told her to be kind to her neighbor, that as he got to know them, he'd see them for who they were. 尤瑟的母亲告诉她善待她的邻居, 当他熟悉她们后, 他会知道她们是怎样的人。
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
I guess we've all become so numb to the hatred that we couldn't have ever imagined it turning into fatal violence . 我想我们都对仇恨如此麻木, 以至于我们想象不到会有致命的报复。
hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶; fatal:adj.致命的;灾难性的;毁灭性的;导致失败的; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
The man who murdered my brother turned himself in to the police shortly after the murders, saying he killed three kids, execution-style, over a parking dispute . 那个谋杀我弟弟的男人在谋杀后 投案自首, 说他杀死了三个孩子, 死刑般的, 因为一个停车位的争执。
dispute:n.纠纷;争端;争论;辩论;v.争论;争执;辩论;争夺;
The police issued a premature public statement that morning, echoing his claims without bothering to question it or further investigate . 那个早上警察公布了一个未完善的声明, 没有质疑 或者进一步的调查。
issued:v.宣布;公布;发出;将…诉诸法律;(issue的过去分词和过去式) premature:adj.早产的;不成熟的;比预期早的;n.早产儿;过早发生的事物; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; echoing:n.呼应;回音;反照现象;v.回响,呼应(echo的现在分词); claims:v.宣称; n.声明; (claim的第三人称单数和复数) bothering:v.使某人烦恼或担忧;打扰;(bother的现在分词) investigate:v.调查;研究;审查;
It turns out there was no parking dispute. 结果并不是停车位争执,
There was no argument. 根本没有争吵,
No violation . 没有侵犯。
violation:n.违反;妨碍,侵害;违背;强奸;
But the damage was already done. 但是伤害已经完成。
In a 24-hour media cycle, the words "parking dispute" had already become the go-to sound bite . 24小时的媒体宣传, “停车位争执”这个词已经广泛流传。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; sound bite:(新闻采访的)原声摘要播出;
I sit on my brother's bed and remember his words, the words he gave me so freely and with so much love, "I am who I am because of you." 我坐在我弟弟的床上,回忆他说的话, 他对我说过的话带着那么多的爱, “我到现在这样都是因为你。”
That's what it takes for me to climb through my crippling grief and speak out . 就是这句话使我战胜悲伤, 并表明我的意见。
crippling:adj.残废的; v.使残废; (cripple的现在分词) grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸; speak out:畅所欲言;大胆地说;大声地说;
I cannot let my family's deaths be diminished to a segment that is barely discussed on local news. 我不能让我家人的死贬低到 几乎不在本地新闻讨论的类别。
diminished:adj.减少的; v.减少; (diminish的过去式和过去分词) segment:n.段;部分;片;弓形;v.分割;划分; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
They were murdered by their neighbor because of their faith , because of a piece of cloth they chose to don on their heads, because they were visibly Muslim. 他们被他们的邻居所谋杀,因为他们的信仰, 因为一件他们用来遮蔽他们头发的衣服, 因为他们明显是穆斯林。
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰; visibly:adv.明显地;显然;看得见地;
Some of the rage I felt at the time was that if roles were reversed , and an Arab, Muslim or Muslim-appearing person had killed three white American college students execution-style, in their home, what would we have called it? 那时候我感觉到的愤怒, 是如果角色反转, 一个阿拉伯穆斯林或者穆斯林长相的人 死刑似的在他们家杀害了 我们会怎么称这件事?
reversed:v.颠倒; (reverse的过去分词和过去式)
A terrorist attack. 恐怖袭击。
When white men commit acts of violence in the US, they're lone wolves, mentally ill or driven by a parking dispute. 当白人在美国犯罪, 他们是独行侠, 精神异常, 或者因停车位争吵。
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处; mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
I know that I have to give my family voice, and I do the only thing I know how: 我知道我一定要为我家人发声, 我做了我唯一知道的事情:
I send a Facebook message to everyone I know in media. 我向我在社交媒体里认识的所有人发了一条脸书消息。
A couple of hours later, in the midst of a chaotic house overflowing with friends and family, our neighbor Neal comes over, sits down next to my parents and asks, "What can I do?" 几个小时后, 混乱的家中充满了朋友和家人, 我们的邻居尼尔来了,坐在我父母的身边, 并问:“我能做什么?”
midst:n.当中,中间;prep.在…中间(等于amidst); chaotic:adj.混沌的;混乱的,无秩序的; overflowing:adj.过剩的;充满的;v.漫出;溢出;挤满了人;过度延伸;(overflow的现在分词)
Neal had over two decades of experience in journalism , but he makes it clear that he's not there in his capacity as journalist , but as a neighbor who wants to help. 尼尔在新闻界有超过二十年的经验, 但是他表示他没有能力担任一个记者, 但是作为一个希望帮助的邻居,
journalism:n.新闻业,新闻工作;报章杂志; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
I ask him what he thinks we should do, given the bombardment of local media interview requests. 我问他他觉我们该做什么, 来面对当地媒体访谈请求的炮击。
bombardment:n.轰炸;炮击; interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈;
He offers to set up a press conference at a local community center. 他提出在当地社区中心开一个媒体发布会,
press conference:记者招待会,新闻发布会;
Even now I don't have the words to thank him. 到现在我都不知道怎么感谢他。
'"Just tell me when, and I'll have all the news channels present," he said. “就告诉我什么时候,我会让所有新闻频道出席,”他说。
He did for us what we could not do for ourselves in a moment of devastation . 他为我们做了我们做不到的事情, 在极度悲伤之中。
in a moment:立刻; devastation:n.毁坏,荒废;
I delivered the press statement, still wearing scrubs from the previous night. 我做了发布会, 穿着前个晚上的手术服。
scrubs:n.实习医生风云(电视剧名); previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
And in under 24 hours from the murders, 谋杀发生后的24小时内,
I'm on CNN being interviewed by Anderson Cooper. 我在CNN上被安德森库伯采访。
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式)
The following day, major newspapers — including the New York Times, Chicago Tribune — published stories about Deah, Yusor and Razan, allowing us to reclaim the narrative and call attention the mainstreaming of anti-Muslim hatred. 第二天,主要的报纸 包括纽约时报、芝加哥论坛报 发布了关于迪亚,尤瑟和拉赞的事情, 让我们能够说出实情真相, 并向主流媒体呼吁对反穆斯林仇恨的关注。
Tribune:n.护民官;讲坛;看台;公民权利保护者; reclaim:v.开拓;回收再利用;改造某人,使某人悔改;n.改造,感化;再生胶; narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; mainstreaming:n.主流化;回归主流;
These days, it feels like Islamophobia is a socially acceptable form of bigotry . 这几天, 感觉像是伊斯兰恐惧症是一个可以接受的偏执行为。
acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的; bigotry:n.偏执;顽固;盲从;
We just have to put up with it and smile. 我们只能带着微笑接受。
put up with:v.忍受;容忍;
The nasty stares , the palpable fear when boarding a plane, the random pat downs at airports that happen 99 percent of the time. 令人讨厌的注视, 当登上一架飞机时明显的恐惧, 99%在机场会发生的任意的搜身。
nasty:adj.极差的:令人厌恶的:不友好的:n.令人不愉快的事物: stares:vi.凝视,盯着看;显眼;vt.凝视,盯着看;n.凝视;注视; palpable:adj.明显的;可感知的;易觉察的; random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地; pat:v.合适; n.拍打; adj.过于简易的; v.(喜爱地)轻拍; airports:n.[航]机场;[航]航空港(airport的复数形式);
It doesn't stop there. 还不止这样。
We have politicians reaping political and financial gains off our backs. 我们还有政客削弱我们的政治和经济利益。
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) reaping:v.收割(reap的ing形式); financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
Here in the US, we have presidential candidates like Donald Trump , casually calling to register American Muslims, and ban Muslim immigrants and refugees from entering this country. 在美国, 我们有像唐纳德特朗普这样的总统候选人, 呼吁登记美国穆斯林, 禁止穆斯林移民和难民进入国家。
presidential:adj.总统的;首长的;统辖的; Trump:n.王牌;主牌花色;v.出王牌赢(牌);;赢;胜过;打败; casually:adv.偶然;临时; register:v.登记;注册;记录;n.登记簿;登记表;注册簿; ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令; immigrants:n.移民(immigrant的复数);
It is no coincidence that hate crimes rise in parallel with election cycles. 这并不奇怪,仇恨犯罪随 选举而发生。
coincidence:n.巧合,巧事;同时存在;并存;相同; in parallel with:与…平行;与…同时;
Just a couple months ago, Khalid Jabara, a Lebanese-American Christian, was murdered in Oklahoma by his neighbor — a man who called him a " filthy Arab." 几个月前,哈立德贾巴拉, 一个黎巴嫩裔美国基督教徒, 在俄克拉荷马被他的邻居谋杀, 一个称他为“肮脏的阿拉伯人”的男人。
Oklahoma:n.美国俄克拉荷马州; filthy:adj.肮脏的;污秽的;下流的;淫秽的;adv.极其肮脏的;富得流油的;
This man was previously jailed for a mere 8 months, after attempting run over Khalid's mother with his car. 这个男人在尝试开车撞哈立德母亲后, 只被囚禁了8个月。
previously:adv.先前;以前; jailed:v.监禁;(jail的过去分词和过去式) mere:adj.仅仅的;只不过的;n.小湖;池塘; attempting:v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的现在分词)
Chances are you haven't heard Khalid's story, because it didn't make it to national news. 可能你不知道哈立德的事情, 因为他没上国家新闻。
The least we can do is call it what it is: a hate crime. 至少我们能做的,就是称其为 仇恨犯罪。
The least we can do is talk about it, because violence and hatred doesn't just happen in a vacuum . 至少我们能做的,就是谈论它, 因为暴力和仇恨不会凭空发生。
vacuum:n.真空; adj.真空的; v.用真空吸尘器清扫;
Not long after coming back to work, 回到工作后不久,
I'm the senior on rounds in the hospital, when one of my patients looks over at my colleague , gestures around her face and says, "San Bernardino," 我在医院照顾老人, 当我的病人之一看着我的同事, 在她身边打手势,并说:“圣博娜迪诺。”
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) colleague:n.同事,同僚; gestures:n.手势; v.做手势; (gesture的第三人称单数和复数)
referencing a recent terrorist attack. 暗指最近的恐怖袭击。
referencing:v.参考;查阅;给(书等)附参考资料;(reference的现在分词)
Here I am having just lost three family members to Islamophobia, having been a vocal advocate within my program on how to deal with such microaggressions , silence. 我刚刚因为伊斯兰恐惧症失去了三位家人, 刚刚在活动中倡导了 如何面对这种微小挑衅, 沉默。
vocal:adj.嗓音的;发声的;大声表达的;直言不讳的;n.(乐曲中的)歌唱部分; advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; microaggressions:微侵略;
I was disheartened . 我感到沮丧,
disheartened:adj.沮丧的; v.使沮丧;
Humiliated . 屈辱。
Humiliated:v.羞辱;使丧失尊严;(humiliate的过去分词和过去式)
Days later rounding on the same patient, she looks at me and says, "Your people are killing people in Los Angeles." 几天后,我照顾同一个病人, 她看着我,并说: “你的人正在洛杉矶杀人。”
I look around expectantly . 我期待地望向身边,
expectantly:adv.期望地,期待地;
Again: silence. 再一次, 沉默。
I realize that yet again, 我意识到,
I have to speak up for myself. 我需要再为自己发声,
I sit on her bed and gently ask her, "Have I ever done anything but treat you with respect and kindness? 我坐在她的床上温柔地问她, “我是不是一直以尊重和友好对待你?
gently:adv.轻轻地;温柔地;温和地; treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; with respect:怀有敬意;
Have I done anything but give you compassionate care?" 我是不是一直细心地照顾你?”
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
She looks down and realizes what she said was wrong, and in front of the entire team, she apologizes and says, "I should know better. I'm Mexican-American. 她低下头,意识到她说的是错的, 在整个团队前, 她道歉并说, “我应该考虑的更周到一点,我是一个墨西哥裔美国人,
I receive this kind of treatment all the time." 我也经常受到这种对待。”
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;
Many of us experience microaggressions on a daily basis. 我们中的很多人每天都会受到微小的挑衅,
Odds are you may have experienced it, whether for your race, gender , sexuality or religious beliefs. 可能你经历过微小的挑衅, 因为你的种族, 性别, 性取向, 或者宗教信仰。
Odds:n.几率;胜算;不平等;差别; gender:n.性别; sexuality:n.[胚]性别;性欲;性征;性方面的事情(比如性行为或性能力); religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑;
We've all been in situations where we've witnessed something wrong and didn't speak up. 我们都曾经处在一种情况中,就是我们目击了一些错误的事情, 却不说出来。
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词)
Maybe we weren't equipped with the tools to respond in the moment. 我们可能在那个时候不知道如何回答,
respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
Maybe we weren't even aware of our own implicit biases . 我们可能甚至不知道我们的潜在歧视,
implicit:adj.含蓄的;暗示的;盲从的; biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式);
We can all agree that bigotry is unacceptable , but when we see it, we're silent, because it makes us uncomfortable. 我们都可以同意暴力是无法接受的, 但当我们看到它的时候, 我们却是沉默的, 因为这让我们不舒服。
unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的;
But stepping right into that discomfort means you are also stepping into the ally zone. 但是直面这种不舒服 意味着你加入了团队。
discomfort:n.不适,不安;不便之处;vt.使…不舒服;使…不安;
There may be over three million Muslims in America. 在美国可能有超过三百万的穆斯林。
That's still just one percent of the total population. 但是这只是1%的人口。
Martin Luther King once said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." 马丁路德金曾说过, “最后, 我们不会记得我们敌人所说的话, 只会记得朋友的沉默。”
So what made my neighbor Neal's allyship so profound ? 所以是什么使邻居尼尔的团队关系那么深刻?
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
A couple of things. 几件事情。
He was there as a neighbor who cared, but he was also bringing in his professional expertise and resources when the moment called for it. 他作为一个关心的邻居, 他也带来了他的专业知识和资源 当情况需要的时候。
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
Others have done the same. 其他人也做了一样的事情。
Larycia Hawkins drew on her platform as the first tenured African-American professor at Wheaton College to wear a hijab in solidarity with Muslim women who face discrimination every day. 拉丽莎霍金, 作为在惠顿学院的第一个非裔美国人终身教授, 戴着面纱,为了团结 每天面对歧视的穆斯林女性。
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; tenured:adj.(美)享有终身职位的;v.授予…终身职位(tenure的过去分词); African-American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人); Wheaton:n.惠顿(美国首都华盛顿的卫星城); hijab:n.希贾布(穆斯林妇女戴的面纱或头巾); solidarity:n.团结,团结一致; discrimination:n.歧视;区别,辨别;识别力;
As a result , she lost her job. 结果,她失去了工作。
As a result:结果;
Within a month, she joined the faculty at the University of Virginia , where she now works on pluralism , race, faith and culture. 一个月内, 她成为了弗吉尼亚大学的员工, 她现在工作于多元化、种族、信仰和文化领域。
faculty:n.科,系;能力;全体教员; Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的; pluralism:n.多元主义;多元论;兼任;
Reddit cofounder , Alexis Ohanian, demonstrated that not all active allyship needs to be so serious. Reddit的合伙创始人,亚历克西斯厄西尼亚, 展示了不是所有的活跃团队都要很严肃。
cofounder:n.共同创办人; demonstrated:v.证明;证实;论证;说明;表达;(demonstrate的过去分词和过去式)
He stepped up to support a 15-year-old Muslim girl's mission to introduce a hijab emoji . 他参与支持一个15岁穆斯林女孩的任务 在emoji中加入一个面纱。
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; emoji:n.表情符号;
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's a simple gesture, but it has a significant subconscious impact on normalizing and humanizing Muslims, including the community as a part of an "us" 一个简单的姿势, 但却有着重要的潜意识的影响 在平常化和人道主义化穆斯林, 包括把其列为我们,
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; subconscious:adj.潜意识的;下意识的;n.潜在意识;下意识心理活动; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; normalizing:v.(使)正常化,标准化,常规化;(normalize的现在分词) humanizing:赋予人性;教化;使通人情(humanize的现在分词);
instead of an "other." 而不是其他。
The editor in chief of Women's Running magazine just put the first hijabi to ever be on the cover of a US fitness magazine. 女性主导杂志的主编, 刚刚第一次把穆斯林面纱放在封面。
fitness:n.健康;适当;适合性;
These are all very different examples of people who drew upon their platforms and resources in academia , tech and media, to actively express their allyship. 这些都是很不同的例子 关于人们使用他们的平台和资源 在学术,科技和媒体, 积极表达他们的团队精神。
platforms:n.平台; v.把…放在台上; academia:n.学术界;学术生涯;
What resources and expertise do you bring to the table? 你能带来什么资源和技能?
Are you willing to step into your discomfort and speak up when you witness hateful bigotry? 你愿意直面不舒服 在你目击可恶的偏执行为时,说出你的意见?
hateful:adj.可憎的;可恨的;可恶的;
Will you be Neal? 你会像尼尔那样吗?
Many neighbors appeared in this story. 许多邻居在这个故事出现。
And you, in your respective communities , all have a Muslim neighbor, colleague or friend your child plays with at school. 你,在你的社区,有一个穆斯林邻居, 同事, 或者你的孩子在学校的玩伴。
respective:adj.分别的,各自的; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
Reach out to them. 帮助他们。
Let them know you stand with them in solidarity. 让他们知道你在他们身边。
It may feel really small, but I promise you it makes a difference. 这可能感觉很小, 但是我向你保证会有所改变。
Nothing will ever bring back Deah, Yusor and Razan. 没有事情会带回迪亚、尤瑟和拉赞。
But when we raise our collective voices, that is when we stop the hate. 但当我们一起说出我们的心声 这就是仇恨停止的时候。
collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (鼓掌)