返回首页

SusannahTemko_2019X-_身为双性人的意涵——以及错误的性别二元论如何伤害所有人_-

I have a confession to make, right off the bat . 我要先向大家坦白一件事。
confession:n.忏悔,告解;供认; right off the bat:立刻,立即;马上;
I don't know what you were doing at 16, but I'm a really big fan of "Harry Potter" 我不知道你们十六岁时在做什么, 但我当时很迷《哈利波特》,
and was waiting way too long to receive my letter inviting me to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry -- 且有好长好长的时间都在期盼收到 让我进入霍格华兹魔法 与巫术学院的邀请信——
Witchcraft:n.巫术;魔法; Wizardry:n.巫术,魔法;
I could have gone for sixth form . 我可以去读它的预科。
sixth form:n.(英国中学里的)六年级,最高年级;
I was also waiting for an invitation to the Jedi Temple or a tap on the shoulder to invite me to the X-Men. 我也在期盼绝地圣殿的邀请, 或收到加入 X 战警的秘密邀请。
invitation:n.邀请,引诱 Jedi:n.星球大战中的绝地武士;
I was that kid. 我就是那种小孩。
When I was 16 years old, I got my wish. 在我十六岁时,愿望成真了。
I was taken into a doctor's office and told that I am in fact part of a group of people who are still largely invisible and misunderstood . 我被带去看医生, 医生告诉我,我属于一个几乎隐形 且被誤解的族群。
largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; misunderstood:adj.被误解的;v.误解,误会(misunderstand的过去式);
I am intersex . 我是间性人。
intersex:n.雌雄间性;阴阳人;
That's my superpower . 那是我的超能力。
superpower:n.超级大国;超级强权;
For many of you in this room, it will be the first time you've even heard the word "intersex." 在座许多人可能是第一次 听到「间性人」这个词。
Intersex is anatomy . 间性是一种解剖的构造。
anatomy:n.解剖;解剖学;剖析;解析;
It refers to people who were born with one or more of a variation of sex characteristics . 它指的是出生时就有一种或多种 性征的变异。
refers:v.谈及;提到;提及;涉及;描述;(refer的第三人称单数) variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数)
That's your genitals , your hormones , your chromosomes that fall outside of the traditional conceptions of male and female bodies. 也就是说,你的生殖器、 你的荷尔蒙、你的染色体 不符合传统上对男性女性身体的观念。
genitals:n.生殖器;外阴部; hormones:n.[生理]激素;荷尔蒙;性激素;荷尔蒙制剂(hormone的复数); chromosomes:n.[遗][细胞][染料]染色体(chromosome的复数形式); traditional:传统的,惯例的, conceptions:[妇产]怀孕;概念;设想;开始(conception的复数形式); female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
In other words, the most basic assumption we've made about our species -- what we're taught in schools that sex is binary , just male and female -- is not correct. 换言之, 我们对人类这个物种 所做的最基本假设—— 学校教导我们,性别是二元的, 只有男性和女性—— 这并不正确。
assumption:n.假定;设想;担任;采取; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; binary:adj.[数]二进制的;二元的,二态的;
Like most things in this world, it is much more complicated than that. 和世界上大部分的事物一样, 性别没有二元这么简单。
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
Intersex people who fall outside of this false sex binary have always existed, throughout human history. 人类历史上间性人一直都存在, 他们不属于这种错误的二元性别。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
Like the wizards of "Harry Potter," 就像《哈利波特》里的巫师,
wizards:n.术士;巫师;奇才(wizard的复数);
we are pretty much invisible. 我们几乎是隐形的。
Some of us don't even know that we are intersex. 有些间性人甚至不知道自己是间性人。
Like the X-Men, some of our traits are obvious at birth and others turn up around the time when puberty is supposed to kick in. 就像 X 战警, 有些间性人的特征在出生时就很明显, 有些人的特征则要在 青春期时才会出现。
traits:n.特性,特质,性格(trait的复数); obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; puberty:n.青春期;开花期; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
When we find out we are intersex, some of us believe we are the only ones in the world. 当我们发现自己是间性人时, 有些人会以为自己 是世界上唯一一个这种人。
Me, specifically , I have XY chromosomes, which you may have understood to be typically male. 明确来说,我有 XY 染色体, 各位应该知道, 那表示我是典型的男性。
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地;
I was also born with gonads instead of ovaries . 我出生时,卵巢由性腺取代。
gonads:n.[解剖]生殖腺;内性器(gonad的复数); ovaries:n.[解剖]卵巢,[植]子房(ovary复数形式);
Standing here on this stage would have been my worst nightmare only five years ago. 五年前,站在这个舞台上會是我最糟糕的夢魘。
nightmare:n.恶梦;梦魇般的经历;adj.可怕的;噩梦似的;
It would have been impossible. 那是我绝对做不到的事。
I use the metaphor of the superhuman , but really, we are just like you. 我用超人类来做比喻, 但其实,我们和各位都一样。
metaphor:n.暗喻,隐喻;比喻说法; superhuman:adj.超人的;人类能力所不能及的;属于神仙的;n.超人;
Intersex people are thought to make up to 1.7 percent of the population. 人口中有 1.7% 是间性人。
make up to:接近;奉承;补足;
That means more, depending on where you are in the world, but you get the picture. 那表示其实间性人很多, 要看你身在何处, 但你懂我的意思。
We are in front of you, getting coffee; we are sitting next to you on the train; we are swiping you left and right on dating apps -- 你排队买咖啡, 排在前面的可能就是间性人; 在火车上,坐在你旁边的 可能就是间性人; 可能有间性人在 约会 APP 上滑你的资料。
swiping:v.挥拳打;扬起巴掌打;挥起(物体)击打;偷窃;刷(磁卡);(swipe的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
So why haven't you heard of us? 所以,为什么你都没听过我们?
If we are so common, why don't you see us? 如果我们这么常见,
How has the world responded to us? 世界对我们是什么反应?
responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词)
We often think of disciplines like medicine and the law as supposedly neutral -- immune to bias . 我们通常认为医学及法律等学术领域 应该是中立的, 应该对偏见免疫。
disciplines:n.[管理]纪律(discipline的复数); v.训导; supposedly:adv.据说;据信;据传; neutral:n.中立国; adj.中立的; immune:adj.免疫的;免于…的,免除的;n.免疫者;免除者; bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的;
The law is "reason free from passion ." 法律是「不受情感影响的理性」。
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
The doctors' Hippocratic oath states that "warmth, sympathy and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's pill ." 医生的希波克拉底誓词中说到 「温暖、同情,和理解 比医生的手术刀 或药师的药丸更重要。」
Hippocratic oath:n.希波克拉底誓言(医生保证遵守医生职业道德的誓言); sympathy:n.同情;慰问;赞同; outweigh:vt.比…重(在重量上);比…重要;比…有价值; pill:n.[医]药丸;药品;
In truth, these disciplines that touch our lives are impressive , but they are filled with our prejudices . 事实上, 但也充满了偏见。
impressive:adj.感人的;令人钦佩的;给人以深刻印象的; prejudices:成见;偏见;歧视(prejudice的复数);
They are not immune, just as we are not immune to the effects of that prejudice, which can be devastating . 它们并没有对偏见免疫, 同样的,我们也没有对 那些偏见造成的效应免疫, 那些效应可能很有杀伤力。
devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词)
In medicine, intersex babies who are born with ambiguous genitalia are routinely operated on without consent , without medical need, irreversibly , in order to make their healthy anatomy appear more "normal." 在医学上, 会接受例行手术, 这在医疗上没有必要性, 而且手术是不可逆的。 目的是要让他们 本来就很健康的身体构造
ambiguous:adj.模糊不清的;引起歧义的; genitalia:n.[解剖]生殖器,外阴部; routinely:adv.例行公事地;老一套地; consent:vi.同意;赞成;答应;n.同意;(意见等的)一致;赞成; irreversibly:adv.不可逆地;
This is before they've even said their first words, indicated a sexuality or a gender identity . 这在宝宝能开口说话之前就发生了, 他就这样被指定了 一种性向或性别身分。
indicated:v.表明;显示;象征;暗示;示意;(indicate的过去分词和过去式) sexuality:n.[胚]性别;性欲;性征;性方面的事情(比如性行为或性能力); gender:n.性别; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
Many people are never told the truth about their intersex traits, and those who are are instructed, often, not to tell anyone. 许多人都不知道事实上 自己有间性人的特征。 知道的人,通常则被吩咐 不可以告诉任何人。
Secrecy is enforced and shame is a close shadow. 被迫要保密,羞耻感总是形影不离。
Secrecy:n.保密;秘密;隐蔽; enforced:adj.强迫的;强制性的;v.强制执行;迫使;(enforce的过去分词和过去式)
In the law, intersex people fall outside of categorization , and more importantly, protection. 在法律上, 间性人不属于任何分类, 更重要的是,他们也不受到保护。
categorization:n.分类;分门别类;编目方法;
This concerns the banal tasks -- if you can imagine the number of forms you've filled out that you had to check "M" of "F" on -- to lacking protection under any law, specifically, the Gender Recognition or Equality Act. 从无聊的事讲起, 想像看看有多少表格上面 必须要勾选「男」或「女」。 更不要说在法律下没有任何保障, 特别是性别认同或性别平等法案。
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式); banal:adj.陈腐的;平庸的;老一套的; Recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
And intersex people cannot correct the sex classification they've been given at birth unless they declare they are transgender . 且间性人无法修改他们在出生时 被决定的性别, 唯一的办法就是宣称自己是变性人。
classification:n.分类;分级;分类法;归类; transgender:n.跨性别;跨性别者;
After decades of activism , these life-altering problems are starting to be addressed . 经过几十年积极推行改革之后, 这些会改变人生的问题 渐渐有人开始因应。
activism:n.行动主义;激进主义; life-altering:改变生活的;改变人生的; addressed:v.写(收信人)姓名地址:致函:演说:演讲:向…说话; (address的过去分词和过去式)
So why does this matter to those of you who aren't intersex, who don't have variations of sex characteristics? 如果你们不是间性人, 没有变异的性征, 这些有什么重要的?
variations:n.变奏曲,变更;[生物]变种(variation的复数形式);
I imagine many people in this audience have, in the privacy of their own bathrooms, wondered ... 我猜想,在座有许多人都曾经 私下在自己家里的浴室中纳闷……
privacy:n.隐私;秘密;隐居;隐居处;
'"Are my labia too long?" 「我的阴唇会太长吗?」
labia:n.阴唇;唇;
'"Are my testicles uneven ?" 「我两边睪丸不一样大吗?」
testicles:n.[解剖]睾丸;(testicle的复数) uneven:adj.不均匀的;不平坦的;[数]奇数的;
'"Is my penis too small?" 「我的阴茎会太小吗?」
penis:n.阴茎;
'"Is my vagina too wide or too shallow?" 「我的阴道会太宽或太浅吗?」
vagina:n.[解剖]阴道;叶鞘;鞘;
Nothing that hurts or gets in the way , just aesthetically : "Are mine 'normal?'" 都不会痛或是造成麻烦, 只为了美观,你还是会问: 「我的正常吗?」
in the way:妨碍;挡道; aesthetically:adv.审美地;美学观点上地;
I imagine that many people in this audience have those small concerns but generally go about their lives not thinking about it. 我猜想在座有许多人 都有过这种小小忧心, 但通常就继续过日子,不多想。
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
These variations in our bodies, like the color of our eyes or the size of our feet, rarely affect our health, materially . 我们身体的有些差异, 比如眼睛的颜色或脚的大小, 很少会对我们的健康 造成实质的影响。
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地; materially:adv.实质地;物质上;极大地;
To put it another way, to give you an idea of the intersex experience, what if when you were an infant , your parents or your doctors looked at your labia, your penis, your testicles, and thought, "They're healthy, feeling, but they're not 'normal,'" 为了各位更能了解间性人的感受, 我換個方式說。 如果,你在婴儿时期, 你的父母或你的医生 看了你的陰脣、你的陰莖、你的睪丸, 心想: 「它们很健康、有感觉, 但它们不『正常』。」
what if:如果…怎么办? infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的;
even before you knew what you wanted to do with them, or you know, want to put them. 这发生在你自己可以决定 要拿它怎么办或怎么用它之前。
(Laughter) (笑声)
What if they went so far as to assign you a different sex based off these measurements ... 如果他们做到了这种程度: 根据这些对正常的观念 就把你改成另一种性别……
so far as:只要;就…而言;在…范围内; assign:v.指定;指派;转让;分派;n.[法]受让人; measurements:n.测量值,尺寸(measurement的复数);
And then they lied to you about what they'd done? 接着他们说谎, 不告诉你他们做了什么?
What if these surgeries sterilized you? 如果这些手术会让你无法生育呢?
surgeries:n.外科手术(surgery复数); sterilized:v.灭菌;消毒;使绝育;(sterilize的过去分词和过去式)
What if they resulted in immense pain and scarring? 如果这些手术造成 很大的痛苦或创伤呢?
immense:adj.巨大的,广大的;无边无际的;非常好的;
What if you had to take medicine for the rest of your life to replace the healthy organs they took away, and you had to pay for that medicine yourself? 如果你终身都得持续服药 以补偿他们拿走的健康器官, 且药钱还要你自己付呢?
organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
And then every time you went to a doctor's office for a cold, you were questioned about your sex life, your gender identity, what your private parts looked like. 且每次你因为感冒去看医生, 医生还要问你的性生活、 你的性别身分、 你的私处是什么样子的。
private parts:n.私处;
And then more doctors and medical students were invited to add to these questions, ask you to drop your trousers or submit to an unnecessary medical exam. 接着还有更多医生 和医学系学生被邀请来 问更多问题, 请你脱下裤子, 或接受不必要的医学檢查?
submit:vt.使服从;主张;呈递;vi.提交;服从;
This is a picture of what is happening to the intersex community -- people like me, every day, around the world. 间性人族群就会发生这种状况, 全世界每天都有像我这样的人会遇到。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Our community is not antimedicine or antisurgery. 我们这些人并不反对医学或手术。
We are for the right to make decisions about our bodies and our lives. 我们想要的是有权利為我們的身體及我們的生活做決定。
The current approach to intersex people stems from a now-debunked academic study from a man who, over 50 years ago, believed that you could raise a child in any gender by changing their genitals, never telling them and reinforcing that gender over and over again . 目前对间性人采用的方式, 一项五十年前的研究。 研究者相信,你想要孩子 是什么性别都可以, 只要改变他们的生殖器, 不要告诉他们真相, 并一再强化他们 对那个性别的认同即可。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; stems:n.花草的茎或梗; v.阻止; (stem的第三人称单数和复数) academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; reinforcing:vt.加强(reinforce的ing形式); over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
It also stems from referring to healthy intersex variations as abnormal or disordered . 另一个源头则是将 健康的间性人双性性征視為異常或生病的觀念。
referring:v.引用;提到;将…归因于…;把…提交;(refer的现在分词) abnormal:adj.反常的,不规则的;变态的; disordered:adj.混乱的;害了病的;发狂的;失调的;
This makes sense. 这也难怪。
If you refer to something as a disorder, it suggests there's a fix. 如果你称它是种病, 就意味着有方法可以治疗。
It also stems [from] the fear and stigma of being intersex, from homophobia , transphobia , sexism and ultimately , our colonial past. 还有一个源头是 对间性人的恐惧和汙名, 来自对同性恋、变性人的恐惧, 最终,是来自我们的殖民历史。
stigma:n.[植]柱头;耻辱;污名;烙印;特征; homophobia:n.对同性恋的恐惧;对同性恋的憎恶; transphobia:对变性者的恐惧; sexism:n.(针对女性的)性别歧视;男性至上主义; ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; colonial:n.殖民地居民;adj.殖民地的,殖民的;
I am not here to say that the categories of men and women don't exist. 我并不是要说男和女的分类不存在。
categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数)
I'm saying, like most things in this world, it is more complicated than that. 我要说是,和世界上 大部分的事物一样, 性别不能简单地 用黑白分明的方式来看。
The world is complex, and we can choose to see that as beautiful, or we can choose to continue to deny the existence of that complexity , push people into artificial , binary boxes, fix what isn't broken and restrict our own field of vision . 世界很复杂, 我们可以选择把复杂视为是美好的, 也可以选择继续否认那复杂度的存在, 迫使大家采用人工、二元的观念, 去修理没有坏的东西, 去限制我们自己的视野。
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求; complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的; restrict:v.限制;约束;阻碍;束缚; field of vision:n.视野;
One of the challenges that intersex people face today is making ourselves visible and making ourselves safe at the same time . 现今,间性人面对的挑战之一 就是让自己被看见, 同时还要确保自己的安全。
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
By that, I mean we are appealing to the humanity of lawmakers to make us safe whilst putting ourselves into the public eye, sharing our stories, trying to build community with people like us ... 我这么说是要呼吁立法者发挥人性, 让我们能安全, 同时我们能让自己被大众看见、 分享我们的故事, 希望他们试着和像我们这样的人 一起建立我们共存的社会,
appealing:adj.吸引人的; v.呼吁; (appeal的现在分词) humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; lawmakers:立法者(lawmaker的复数); whilst:conj.同时;时时,有时;当…的时候;
Even when it isn't safe to do so. 即使这么做并不安全。
For parents of intersex children listening and watching, for those in the audience who may become the guardians of intersex people, 正在听、正在看 这场演说的间性孩童家长, 在座有可能变成间性人守护者的人,
guardians:n.保护人,[法]监护人(guardian的复数形式);
I want you to know I love my life, but it has not be free of issue , especially in relation to being intersex. 我希望你们知道,我爱我的人生, 但这个人生并非没有问题, 特别是在身为间性人这方面。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
No life is free of issue. 人生不会都没有问题。
All coins have two sides. 所有的硬币都有两面。
On the one side, 在一面,
I have been humiliated in doctors' offices. 我曾经在医生的诊间中被羞辱。
humiliated:v.羞辱;使丧失尊严;(humiliate的过去分词和过去式)
I have stood in front of prospective partners and felt afraid and so not good enough. 我曾经站在未来的伴侣面前, 感到害怕且覺得自己不夠好。
prospective:adj.未来的;预期的;n.预期;展望;
I have watched other women pass me in the street and imagine the ways that they were more woman than me, more human than me. 我曾经在街上看着 从我身边经过的其他女性, 想像她们有哪些地方比我更像女人, 比我更像人。
I have questioned whether I have a place in this world. 我曾经质疑过, 世界上是否有我的容身处。
On the other, 在另一面,
I have been deeply loved for everything that I am, in friendship and romantically . 真实的我,在友情和爱情世界中, 被深爱着。
romantically:adv.浪漫地;不切实际地;
I have learned compassion and empathy for a wider range of society. 我学会了对更广范围的社会 发挥同理心和同情心。
compassion:n.同情;怜悯; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
I have taken the time to love my body and not judge the bodies of others. 我花了时间去爱我的身体, 且不去评断他人的身体。
I have developed a strength and a hope that would have been impossible without this particular life. 我发展出因为拥有这种生命 才可能发展出的力量与希望。
The instinct to protect children is instinctive and it's admirable , but the truth is that love, acceptance and refusing to bathe that child in shame will protect them more than trying to fix something that isn't broken. 想要保护孩子的直觉是一种本能, 但事实是, 以及拒绝让孩子沉浸在羞耻中 会比去修补没有坏掉的东西 更能够保护他们。
instinctive:adj.本能的;直觉的;天生的; admirable:adj.令人钦佩的;极好的;值得赞扬的; acceptance:n.验收;接受;认可;承认; bathe:v.用水清洗(尤指身体部位); n.(在海、河等中的)游泳;
This is why it is in our interest to protect intersex people and make them visible. 这就是为什么保护间性人 且让他们被看见, 其实对我们有好处。
For as long as societies reinforce one form of acceptable , of "normal," 因为只要社会强迫大家只接受某種形式的「正常」,
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; reinforce:vt.加强,加固; vi.求援; n.加强; acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的;
everyone will face insecurity for being different in any way. 人人都会因为自己在任何方面 和别人不同而有不安全感,
insecurity:n.不安全;不牢靠;无把握;心神不定;
Simply trying to erase variation, difference, builds shame. 若只是试着消除差异、不同, 那只会造成羞耻感。
erase:vt.抹去;擦除;vi.被擦去,被抹掉;
Being intersex has not materialized the powers that I wished for as a teenager ... 身为间性人并没有让我产生 我在青少年时期所期望的超能力,
materialized:使成真;实现;使物质化,使具体化(materialize的过去式和过去分词);
beyond being able to see where this false sex binary harms us all. 但让我看出这种错误的 性别二元论会伤害所有人。
It is my belief that if intersex people can gain equality, can be seen, can be accepted and can be loved, then we all will. 我相信, 如果间性人能得到平等, 能被看见, 能被接受, 且能被爱, 那么所有人也都能获得这些东西。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause and cheers) (掌声及欢呼声)