返回首页

SugataMitra_2013-_构筑“云端学院”_

What is going to be the future of learning? 学习的未来是什么样子的?
I do have a plan, but in order for me to tell you what that plan is, 我有个计划, 但是为了向你们介绍我的计划,
I need to tell you a little story, which kind of sets the stage. 我需要先给你们讲一个小故事, 作为铺垫。
I tried to look at where did the kind of learning we do in schools, where did it come from? 我试着思考 我们在学校里学习的方式 源自于哪里?
And you can look far back into the past, but if you look at present-day schooling the way it is, it's quite easy to figure out where it came from. 这可以追溯到很久之前, 但如果你问的是如今的学校教育形式, 很容易就能找到源头。
present-day:adj.现代的;当今的;现在的;现时的;
It came from about 300 years ago, and it came from the last and the biggest of the empires on this planet. ["The British Empire"] 它起源于大约300年前, 起源于这个星球上最大的 也是最后一个帝国(大英帝国)。
Imagine trying to run the show, trying to run the entire planet, without computers, without telephones, with data handwritten on pieces of paper, and traveling by ships. 想想一下在没有电脑、 也没有电话的情况下, 管理整个地球(帝国)。 文件资料需要靠手抄, 出差需要靠轮船。
handwritten:adj.手写的;v.handwrite的过去分词;
But the Victorians actually did it. 但维多利亚时代的人们确实做到了。
Victorians:n.维多利亚时代;
What they did was amazing. 他们所做的事令人惊奇。
They created a global computer made up of people. 他们创造了一台由人组成的 覆盖全球的计算机。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; made up of:由…组成,由…构成;
It's still with us today. 这台计算机如今仍在运行着。
It's called the bureaucratic administrative machine. 它被称为公务员行政体系。
bureaucratic:adj.官僚的;官僚政治的; administrative:adj.管理的,行政的;
In order to have that machine running, you need lots and lots of people. 为了让这个系统运作, 需要许许多多人。
They made another machine to produce those people: the school. 这就催生了另一个体系去培养这些人: 学校。
The schools would produce the people who would then become parts of the bureaucratic administrative machine. 学校会培养这些人, 他们会在将来 成为公务员体系一分子.
They must be identical to each other. 他们必须是协调一致的。
identical:adj.同一的;完全相同的;n.完全相同的事物;
They must know three things: 他们必须了解三件事:
They must have good handwriting, because the data is handwritten; they must be able to read; and they must be able to do multiplication , division , addition and subtraction in their head. 书写要规范,因为资料都是手写的; 有阅读能力; 会在脑子里 作加减乘除。
multiplication:n.[数]乘法;增加; division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧; addition:n.添加;[数]加法;增加物; subtraction:n.[数]减法;减少;差集;
They must be so identical that you could pick one up from New Zealand and ship them to Canada and he would be instantly functional . 他们必须是一模一样的,这样才可以从新西兰 随便的挑一个人送去加拿大 并能立刻派上用场。
Zealand:西兰岛(丹麦最大的岛) functional:adj.功能的;
The Victorians were great engineers. 维多利亚时代的人们是些伟大的工程师。
They engineered a system that was so robust that it's still with us today, continuously producing identical people for a machine that no longer exists. 他们设计了这样一个有蓬勃生命力的系统, 至今, 仍在为那个已不复存在的帝国 源源不断地输送着同质的人才。
robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的; continuously:adv.连续不断地;
The empire is gone, so what are we doing with that design that produces these identical people, and what are we going to do next if we ever are going to do anything else with it? 帝国已逝, 这个产生了那些同质人才的设计, 我们能用它来做什么? 如果我们想用它做点别的事情 下一步要做些什么?
["Schools as we know them are obsolete "] (我们已知的学校已经过时了)
obsolete:adj.废弃的;老式的;n.废词;陈腐的人;vt.淘汰;废弃;
So that's a pretty strong comment there. 这里会引来热烈的讨论。
I said schools as we know them now, they're obsolete. 我是说我们所知道的学校已经过时了。
I'm not saying they're broken. 我并不是说它们已经崩溃了。
It's quite fashionable to say that the education system's broken. 现在挺时兴说教育体系已然崩溃的。
fashionable:adj.流行的;时髦的;上流社会的;
It's not broken. It's wonderfully constructed . 它没有崩溃。它构建得十分好。
wonderfully:adv.精彩地;惊人地;极好地; constructed:v.修建;建造;组成;编制,绘制;(construct的过去分词和过去式)
It's just that we don't need it anymore. It's outdated . 只不过我们不再需要了。它过时了。
outdated:adj.过时的;旧式的;v.使过时(outdate的过去式和过去分词);
What are the kind of jobs that we have today? 我们今天的工作都是怎样的?
Well, the clerks are the computers. 嗯,书记员变成了计算机。
They're there in thousands in every office. 每个办公室都有成百上千台。
And you have people who guide those computers to do their clerical jobs. 而人们操作计算机 完成文书工作。
clerical:adj.书记的;牧师的;办事员的;n.牧师;
Those people don't need to be able to write beautifully by hand. 人们不用书写漂亮。
They don't need to be able to multiply numbers in their heads. 不用在脑袋里做乘法。
multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的;
They do need to be able to read. 他们要会领悟。
In fact, they need to be able to read discerningly. 事实上,他们需要敏锐的辨识能力。
Well, that's today, but we don't even know what the jobs of the future are going to look like. 这是今天工作的形式,我们甚至不知道 今后的工作将会是怎样的。
We know that people will work from wherever they want, whenever they want, in whatever way they want. 我们猜想那个时候人们可以 选择自己办公的时间、地点和方式。
How is present-day schooling going to prepare them for that world? 如今的教育怎么能够帮助他们应付 那样一个世界呢?
Well, I bumped into this whole thing completely by accident. 一个偶然的机会让我想到这一切。
bumped:v.碰,撞;碰上,撞上;颠簸行进(bump的过去分词和过去式)
I used to teach people how to write computer programs in New Delhi , 14 years ago. 我从前教人写电脑程序, 那是14年前在新德里的时候。
Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名);
And right next to where I used to work, there was a slum . 就在我办公地点的旁边有个贫民窟。
slum:vi.(为猎奇或救济等)去贫民窟;n.贫民窟;陋巷;脏乱的地方;
And I used to think, how on Earth are those kids ever going to learn to write computer programs? 我一直在想,究竟怎样才能让 那些孩子去学习写计算机程序呢?
Or should they not? 他们应该学这个么?
At the same time , we also had lots of parents, rich people, who had computers, and who used to tell me, "You know, my son, 同时,常有一些家长们, 有计算机的富人们, 告诉我说,“你知道,我儿子,
At the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
I think he's gifted , because he does wonderful things with computers. 我觉得他很有天分, 因为他能用电脑做些很棒的事情。
gifted:adj.有天赋的;有才华的;
And my daughter -- oh, surely she is extra-intelligent." 而我的女儿,当然也是聪慧过人。”
And so on. So I suddenly figured that, how come all the rich people are having these extraordinarily gifted children? 诸如此类。于是我忽然想, 为什么所有这些富人 都有天赋异禀的孩子?
extraordinarily:adv.非常;格外地;非凡地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
What did the poor do wrong? 穷人们做错了什么?
I made a hole in the boundary wall of the slum next to my office, and stuck a computer inside it just to see what would happen if I gave a computer to children who never would have one, didn't know any English, didn't know what the Internet was. 我在我办公室旁边的贫民窟的外墙上 打了个洞, 并在里面安装了一台电脑,为的是看一看, 假如给那些从未摸过电脑的孩子一台电脑,会发生些什么? 他们完全不懂英语,完全不知道英特网是什么。
boundary:n.边界;范围;分界线;
The children came running in. 孩子们跑了进来。
It was three feet off the ground , and they said, "What is this?" 电脑离地面有3英尺,他们问:“这是什么?”
off the ground:已开始的;在进行中;
And I said, "Yeah, it's, I don't know." 我说:“唔,这是……我不知道。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
They said, "Why have you put it there?" 他们问:“为什么你把它放在那儿?”
I said, "Just like that." 我说:“就那样。”
And they said, "Can we touch it?"I said, "If you wish to." 然后他们说:“我们可以摸一下吗?”我说:“如果你们愿意的话。”
And I went away. 然后我走开了。
About eight hours later, we found them browsing and teaching each other how to browse . 大概过了8小时以后, 我发现他们在上网冲浪并相互教对方如何浏览网页。
browsing:v.随便看看;浏览;翻阅;浏览信息;(browse的现在分词) browse:v.浏览;吃草;n.浏览;吃草;
So I said, "Well that's impossible, because -- 于是我说:“这不可能,因为……
How is it possible? They don't know anything." 这怎么可能?他们什么都不知道。”
My colleagues said, "No, it's a simple solution . 我同事说:“不,答案很简单。
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
One of your students must have been passing by, showed them how to use the mouse." 一定是你哪个学生经过, 给他们演示了如何使用鼠标。”
So I said, "Yeah, that's possible." 于是我说:“对,那有可能。”
So I repeated the experiment. I went 300 miles out of Delhi into a really remote village where the chances of a passing software development engineer was very little. (Laughter) 我于是重复了这个实验。我跑去离开德里300英里的 一个偏远的村子。 在这里,偶然路过一个软件开发工程师的概率 极低。(笑声)
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
I repeated the experiment there. 我就在那里重复了实验。
There was no place to stay, so I stuck my computer in, 那里没有地方能让我住下来,所以我装好电脑
I went away, came back after a couple of months, found kids playing games on it. 就走了,几个月之后才回来。 我发现几个小孩在上面玩游戏。
When they saw me, they said, "We want a faster processor and a better mouse." 当他们看到我时,他们说: “我们想要更快一点的处理器和更好一点的鼠标。”
processor:n.[计]处理器;处理程序;加工者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I said, "How on Earth do you know all this?" 我说:“你们到底是怎么知道全部这些的?”
And they said something very interesting to me. 然后他们告诉了我一些非常有意思的事情。
In an irritated voice, they said, "You've given us a machine that works only in English, so we had to teach ourselves English in order to use it." (Laughter) 他们带着生气的口吻说: “你给了我们一台只能用英语动起来的电脑, 所以我们只能自己教自己英文才能用得了。”(笑声)
irritated:adj.烦恼;恼怒;v.使烦恼;刺激(irritate的过去分词和过去式)
That's the first time, as a teacher, that I had heard the word "teach ourselves" said so casually . 那是我作为教师,头一次 听人如此随意地说“教自己”。
casually:adv.偶然;临时;
Here's a short glimpse from those years. 来回顾一下那几年。
glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹;
That's the first day at the Hole in the Wall. 那是有了墙洞的第一天。
On your right is an eight-year-old. 你们右边方向的孩子8岁。
To his left is his student. She's six. 他左边的是他的学生,六岁。
And he's teaching her how to browse. 他正在教她怎么浏览页面。
Then onto other parts of the country, 跟着在这个国家的其他地方,
I repeated this over and over again , getting exactly the same results that we were. 我一再地重复这个实验, 得到的结果都是相同的。
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
["Hole in the wall film - 1999"] “电影:墙洞 1999年”
An eight-year-old telling his elder sister what to do. 一个八岁的孩子在教他的姐姐如何操作。
And finally a girl explaining in Marathi what it is, and said, "There's a processor inside." 最后一个女孩用马拉地语解释这是什么, 她说:“里面有个处理器。”
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
So I started publishing. 于是我开始了宣传。
I published everywhere. I wrote down and measured everything, and I said, in nine months, a group of children left alone with a computer in any language will reach the same standard as an office secretary in the West. 我四处宣传。我记录并评估每件事。 我说,在九个月的时间里,一群孩子 与一台设置成任何语言的计算机单独在一起, 将会达到同西方办公室秘书一样的操作水准。
measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式) standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
I'd seen it happen over and over and over again. 我看到这样的事一再重演。
But I was curious to know, what else would they do if they could do this much? 但我好奇地是,他们既已达到如此水平 还能干些别的什么?
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
I started experimenting with other subjects, among them, for example, pronunciation. 我开始在他们中间用别的课题作实验, 例如,发音。
There's one community of children in southern India whose English pronunciation is really bad, and they needed good pronunciation because that would improve their jobs. 在南印度,有一个社区的孩子们 英语发音非常糟糕, 而他们需要更好的发音来找到更好地工作。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; improve:v.改进;改善;
I gave them a speech-to-text engine in a computer, and I said, "Keep talking into it until it types what you say." 我给了他们一台带有语音转换文字工具的电脑, 我说,“一直对着它讲话直到你讲的东西被打出来。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
They did that, and watch a little bit of this. 他们照做了,并看了一会儿。
Computer: Nice to meet you.Child: Nice to meet you. 电脑:很高兴见到你。孩子:很高兴见到你。
Sugata Mitra: The reason I ended with the face of this young lady over there is because I suspect many of you know her. 视频结尾给了这个年轻女孩的脸一个特写, 因为我猜你们当中有许多人可能知道她。
suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的;
She has now joined a call center in Hyderabad and may have tortured you about your credit card bills in a very clear English accent . 她如今在海得拉巴(Hyderabad)的一个呼叫中心工作, 也许曾为了你的信用卡账单骚扰过你, 用她那纯正的英式口音。
tortured:adj.遭受重创的; v.拷问; (torture的过去分词和过去式) credit card:n.[经]信用卡; accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话;
So then people said, well, how far will it go? 那么有人会说,还能到什么程度?
Where does it stop? 到什么程度为止?
I decided I would destroy my own argument by creating an absurd proposition . 我为此想出来一个可笑的计划, 用来打败我自己之前的论证。
absurd:adj.荒谬的;可笑的;n.荒诞;荒诞作品; proposition:n.提议;待处理的问题;任务;(美国)法律修正议案;见解;命题;v.向...提议;
I made a hypothesis , a ridiculous hypothesis. 我做了一个假设,一个荒唐的假设。
hypothesis:n.假设; ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
Tamil is a south Indian language, and I said, can Tamil-speaking children in a south Indian village learn the biotechnology of DNA replication in English from a streetside computer? 泰米尔语是南印度的一种语言,我想, 在南印度村庄里说泰米尔语的孩子 可能通过一台街边的电脑学会 用英语表述的关于DNA复制的生物技术科学吗?
biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学; replication:n.复制;回答;反响;
And I said, I'll measure them. They'll get a zero. 我想,考他们这个,他们肯定得零分。
I'll spend a couple of months, I'll leave it for a couple of months, 我要花上几个月,离开几个月,
I'll go back, they'll get another zero. 然后回来,再考下他们,应该还是零分。
I'll go back to the lab and say, we need teachers. 接着我会回到实验室并说,我们需要老师。
I found a village. It was called Kallikuppam in southern India. 我找到了一个村子。它叫Kallikuppam,位于南印度。
I put in Hole in the Wall computers there, downloaded all kinds of stuff from the Internet about DNA replication, most of which I didn't understand. 我在墙洞里装上了电脑, 从网上下载了各种关于DNA复制的东西, 绝大部分我都不懂。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
The children came rushing, said, "What's all this?" 孩子们涌了过来问:“这些都是什么?”
So I said, "It's very topical , very important. But it's all in English." 我说:“这些都是热门的,重要的东西。但都是英文写的。”
topical:adj.局部的;论题的;时事问题的;局部地区的;
So they said, "How can we understand such big English words and diagrams and chemistry?" 他们就说:“我们怎么可能懂这么多英语单词 还有图表和化学?”
So by now, I had developed a new pedagogical method, so I applied that. I said, "I haven't the foggiest idea." 那时候,我已经学会一种新的教育方法, 于是我用了——我说:“我一点儿都不知道。”
pedagogical:adj.教育学的;教学法的; applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式) foggiest:有雾的(foggy的最高级);
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"And anyway, I am going away." “反正,我要走了。“
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I left them for a couple of months. 所以我离开他们几个月。
They'd got a zero. I gave them a test. 我以为他们会得零分。我给他们作了一次测验。
I came back after two months and the children trooped in and said, "We've understood nothing." 两个月之后我回去了, 孩子们成群结队地跑来说:“我们什么都没搞明白。”
So I said, "Well, what did I expect?" 于是我说:“好吧,我能期望什么呢?”
So I said, "Okay, but how long did it take you before you decided that you can't understand anything?" 我说:“但是你们花了多长时间得出的结论 说你们什么都搞不懂呢?”
So they said, "We haven't given up. 他们说:“我们还没放弃。
We look at it every single day." 我们每天都研究它。”
So I said, "What? You don't understand these screens and you keep staring at it for two months? What for?" 我说:“什么?你们看不懂这些屏幕 但你们还是盯着看了两个月?为什么?”
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
So a little girl who you see just now, she raised her hand, and she says to me in broken Tamil and English, she said, "Well, apart from the fact that improper replication of the DNA molecule causes disease , we haven't understood anything else." 有个小姑娘,就是你们刚才看到的, 她举起了手,用泰米尔语夹杂着蹩脚的英语说: “唔,除了 不恰当的复制DNA分子会导致疾病, 别的我们都不知道了。”
improper:adj.不正确的,错误的;不适当的;不合礼仪的; molecule:n.[化学]分子;微小颗粒,微粒; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(掌声)
So I tested them. 跟着我测试了他们。
I got an educational impossibility , zero to 30 percent in two months in the tropical heat with a computer under the tree in a language they didn't know doing something that's a decade ahead of their time. 我做了件教育上不可能的事,从零到三十。 花了两个月在这热带高温下, 用树下的一台设置成他们不会的语言的电脑 做着超前他们那个时代十年的事情。
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的 impossibility:n.不可能;不可能的事; tropical:adj.热带的;热情的;酷热的;
Absurd. But I had to follow the Victorian norm . 太荒唐了。但我不得不遵循维多利亚时代的标准。
norm:n.规范;标准;定额;常态;v.规范;规定;
Thirty percent is a fail. 三十分仍然是失败的。
How do I get them to pass? I have to get them 20 more marks. 我怎样能让他们及格呢?我得让他们多拿20分。
I couldn't find a teacher. What I did find was a friend that they had, a 22-year-old girl who was an accountant and she played with them all the time. 我找不到老师。我找到了他们的一个朋友, 一个22岁当会计的姑娘, 她一直陪他们玩。
accountant:n.会计;会计师;
So I asked this girl, "Can you help them?" 我问这个姑娘:“你可以帮他们吗?”
So she says, " Absolutely not . 她说:“当然不可以。
Absolutely not:绝对不会;绝对不是;绝对不行;
I didn't have science in school. I have no idea what they're doing under that tree all day long . I can't help you." 我在学校没学过自然科学。我不知道 他们整天在那棵树下干什么。我帮不了你。”
I have no idea:我没有头绪…; all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日;
I said, "I'll tell you what. Use the method of the grandmother." 我说:“我来教你。用祖母的办法。”
So she says, "What's that?" 她问:“那是什么?”
I said, "Stand behind them. 我说:“站在他们身后。
Whenever they do anything, you just say, 'Well, wow, I mean, how did you do that? 不管什么时候他们做了什么,你只要说, *好吧,哇欧,我是说,你们怎么做到的?
What's the next page? Gosh, when I was your age, I could have never done that.' 下一页是什么?天啊,我像你们这么大的时候可做不到这些。
You know what grannies do." 你知道祖母会怎么做。”
So she did that for two more months. 于是她照做了两个月。
The scores jumped to 50 percent. 分数窜升到了50。
Kallikuppam had caught up with my control school in New Delhi, a rich private school with a trained biotechnology teacher. Kallikuppam追上了 我在新德里的对比学校, 一个有训练有素的生物老师的昂贵的私立学校。
private school:n.私立学校;私立中小学;
When I saw that graph I knew there is a way to level the playing field . 看到这张图表时我意识到这是创造公平竞争环境的一种途径
playing field:n.运动场;操场;
Here's Kallikuppam. 这是Kallikuppam。
(Children speaking) Neurons ... communication. (孩童说话)神经元……沟通。
I got the camera angle wrong. That one is just amateur stuff, but what she was saying, as you could make out, was about neurons, with her hands were like that, and she was saying neurons communicate. 我把相机角度弄错了。那是张业余作品。 但是她说话的内容,你们能听得出来, 是关于神经元的,她的手那样比划, 她正在说神经元之间的信息传递。
amateur:n.爱好者;业余爱好者;外行;adj.业余的;外行的;
At 12. 12岁。
So what are jobs going to be like? 那么工作将会变成怎样呢?
Well, we know what they're like today. 唔,我们知道他们现在的样子。
What's learning going to be like? We know what it's like today, children pouring over with their mobile phones on the one hand and then reluctantly going to school to pick up their books with their other hand. 学习将会变成怎样呢?我们知道它现在的情形, 孩子们蜂拥而来一手抓着手机 然后不情愿地去学校用另一个手拿起课本。
pouring:v.倾倒;倾泻;连续流出;倒出;喷发;(pour的现在分词) mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; on the one hand:一方面; reluctantly:adv.不情愿地;嫌恶地;
What will it be tomorrow? 明天会是怎样的情景?
Could it be that we don't need to go to school at all? 会变成我们完全不用去学校吗?
Could it be that, at the point in time when you need to know something, you can find out in two minutes? 会变成,在某个时间你需要了解什么, 你能在两分钟里查到吗?
Could it be -- a devastating question, a question that was framed for me by Nicholas Negroponte -- could it be that we are heading towards or maybe in a future where knowing is obsolete? 会不会变成——尼葛洛庞帝(Nicholas Negroponte) 提了一个非常棘手的问题,难住了我—— 会不会变成我们所向往的那样 又或者在将来连知识都会过时了?
devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词) framed:v.给…做框;给…镶边;制订;拟订;(frame的过去分词和过去式)
But that's terrible. We are homo sapiens . 但那样太糟糕了。我们是智人(homo sapiens)。
homo sapiens:n.智人(现代人类);
Knowing, that's what distinguishes us from the apes . 正是知识,把我们和猿猴区分出来。
distinguishes:vt.区分;辨别;使杰出,使表现突出;vi.区别,区分;辨别; apes:n.[脊椎]猿;猩猩;类人猿(ape的复数);v.模仿;仿效(ape的三单形式);
But look at it this way. 但不妨这样想。
It took nature 100 million years to make the ape stand up and become Homo sapiens. 大自然用了1亿年 让猿站立起来 变成智人。
It took us only 10,000 to make knowing obsolete. 我们只花了1万年让知识成为过去时。
What an achievement that is. 这是多大的成就。
But we have to integrate that into our own future. 但我们必须把这些成就纳入我们的未来一起考虑。
integrate:v.成为一体;(使)加入;adj.完全的;
Encouragement seems to be the key. 也许关键在于激励机制。
If you look at Kuppam, if you look at all of the experiments that I did, it was simply saying, "Wow," saluting learning. 想想Kuppam, 想想所有我做过的实验, ”哇!“那些都仅仅是在向学习致敬。
saluting:v.(尤指军队中)敬礼;致敬;表示敬意;(salute的现在分词)
There is evidence from neuroscience . 神经系统科学表明,
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; neuroscience:n.神经系统科学(指神经病学,神经化学等);
The reptilian part of our brain, which sits in the center of our brain, when it's threatened, it shuts down everything else, it shuts down the prefrontal cortex , the parts which learn, it shuts all of that down. 位于我们大脑中央位置的爬行动物脑, 当它受到威胁时会使其他部分停工, 它会关闭负责学习的额叶皮质, 把它完全关闭。
reptilian:adj.爬虫类的;卑鄙的;n.爬虫类动物; prefrontal:adj.[解剖]前额的;额叶前部的;n.[解剖]额前骨; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮;
Punishment and examinations are seen as threats. 惩罚和考试都被看作是威胁。
Punishment:n.惩罚;严厉对待,虐待;
We take our children, we make them shut their brains down, and then we say, " Perform ." 我们让孩子们过来,让他们关闭自己的大脑, 然后说:“做吧。”
Perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好);
Why did they create a system like that? 为什么会有这样一个系统?
Because it was needed. 因为这是种需要。
There was an age in the Age of Empires when you needed those people who can survive under threat. 在帝国时代 你需要一些能够受到威胁而能存活下来的人。
When you're standing in a trench all alone, if you could have survived, you're okay, you've passed. 当你独自站在战壕里, 要是你活下来了,好吧,你过关了。
trench:n.沟,沟渠;战壕;堑壕;vt.掘沟;vi.挖战壕;侵害;
If you didn't, you failed. 如果没有,你就输了。
But the Age of Empires is gone. 但帝国时代已经远去了,
What happens to creativity in our age? 在我们这个时代应该如何对待创造力?
We need to shift that balance back from threat to pleasure. 我们必须把它扭转过来, 从威胁变为乐趣。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
I came back to England looking for British grandmothers. 我回到英国找当地的老太太们。
I put out notices and papers saying, if you are a British grandmother, if you have broadband and a web camera, can you give me one hour of your time per week for free? 我张贴了布告,写到: 如果您是一位英国的老奶奶,如果你有宽带和摄像头, 能不能每周免费给我一小时?
broadband:n.宽频;宽波段;adj.宽频带的;宽波段的;宽频通讯的;
I got 200 in the first two weeks. 头两周我就招来了200号人。
I know more British grandmothers than anyone in the universe. (Laughter) 我认识的英国老奶奶数量比这世界上任何人认识的都多。(笑声)
They're called the Granny Cloud. 她们被成为“云外婆”。
The Granny Cloud sits on the Internet. 云外婆们安坐在网络上。
If there's a child in trouble, we beam a Gran . 要是哪个孩子有了麻烦,我们就呼叫外婆。
beam:n.光线; v.发射(电波); Gran:abbr.全球救援警报网(GlobalRescueAlarmNetwork);
She goes on over Skype and she sorts things out. 她会通过Skype搞定。
Skype:n.网络电话(一个网络语音沟通工具);
I've seen them do it from a village called Diggles in northwestern England, deep inside a village in Tamil Nadu, India, 6,000 miles away. 我在一个叫Diggles的村子见过这种事, 那是在英格兰西北部, 到印度深处的泰米尔纳德邦的另一个村子, 两者相距6千英里。
northwestern:adj.来自西北的;西北方的;在西北部的;
She does it with only one age-old gesture . 她只做了一个十分古老的手势。
age-old:adj.古老的;由来已久的; gesture:n.手势;姿势;示意动作;表示;v.做手势;用手势表示;
'"Shhh." “嘘……”
Okay? 行了吗?
Watch this. 请看。
Grandmother: You can't catch me. You say it. 云外婆:你抓不到我。你说一遍。
You can't catch me. 你抓不到我。
Children: You can't catch me. 孩子:你抓不到我。
Grandmother: I'm the Gingerbread Man.Children: I'm the Gingerbread Man. 云外婆:我是姜饼人。孩子:我是姜饼人。
Gingerbread:n.姜饼;华而不实的东西;adj.华而不实的;
Grandmother: Well done ! Very good. 云外婆:棒极了!非常好。
Well done:好样的,干得好;
SM: So what's happening here? 这里边发生了什么?
I think what we need to look at is we need to look at learning as the product of educational self-organization. 我想我们需要考虑的是, 我们要考虑把学习 视作自主教育的产物。
If you allow the educational process to self-organize, then learning emerges . 允许教育过程自主化, 就引发了学习。
emerges:vi.浮现;摆脱;暴露;
It's not about making learning happen. 这不是强制它发生,
It's about letting it happen. 而是诱导它发生。
The teacher sets the process in motion and then she stands back in awe and watches as learning happens. 老师启动这个过程, 然后她敬畏地退到后面, 观察学习的发生。
motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势; awe:vt.使敬畏;使畏怯;n.敬畏;
I think that's what all this is pointing at. 这就是所有这些的目的。
But how will we know? How will we come to know? 但我们怎样学习?我们怎样意识到去学习?
Well, I intend to build these Self-Organized Learning Environments. 唔,我倾向于构建 这样的自主学习环境。
intend:v.打算;计划;想要; Self-Organized:adj.自组织的;自发的;
They are basically broadband, collaboration and encouragement put together . 基本上由网络链接,协作, 以及激励组成。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌; put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
I've tried this in many, many schools. 我在许许多多学校里尝试过这套东西。
It's been tried all over the world, and teachers sort of stand back and say, "It just happens by itself?" 在世界各地尝试过, 老师们后退着说:“它就这么自己发生了?”
And I said, "Yeah, it happens by itself.""How did you know that?" 我说:“是的,自己发生了。”“你怎么知道?”
I said, "You won't believe the children who told me and where they're from." 我说:“你们不会相信是哪里的孩子 告诉我的。”
Here's a SOLE in action. 这是一个正在进行的自主学习活动。
(Children talking) (孩童说话)
This one is in England. 这个活动在英格兰。
He maintains law and order, because remember, there's no teacher around. 他负责维持纪律和秩序, 还记得吗,因为没有老师在场。
maintains:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见);(maintain的第三人称单数)
Girl: The total of electrons is not equal to the total number of protons --SM: Australia 女孩:电子的总量不等于质子(这是在澳大利亚)
electrons:n.[物]电子(electron的复数形式); protons:n.[物]质子;氢核(proton的复数);
Girl: -- giving it a net positive of negative electrical charge. 女孩:所给与电子的负电荷的净电荷量。
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的;
The net charge on an ion is equal to the number of protons in the ion minus the number of electrons. 离子上的负电荷数量等于离子上质子的数量 减去电子的数量。
minus:prep.减,减去;n.负号,减号;不足;负数;adj.减的;负的;
SM: A decade ahead of her time. 比她的同龄人领先了10年。
So SOLEs , I think we need a curriculum of big questions. 所以我们需要为重大课题提供全套课程,通过自主学习环境。
SOLEs:n.[服装]鞋底,脚底; v.给(鞋等)上底(sole的三单形式); curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
You already heard about that. You know what that means. 你早就听说过了。你知道那是什么。
There was a time when Stone Age men and women used to sit and look up at the sky and say, "What are those twinkling lights?" 在石器时代,男人们和女人们 常坐着,看着天空说: “那些闪闪发光的是什么?”
Stone Age:n.石器时代; twinkling:n.瞬间;转眼;一眨眼;一刹那;v.闪烁;闪光,发亮;(twinkle的现在分词)
They built the first curriculum, but we've lost sight of those wondrous questions. 他们建立了最早的课程,而我们却已经忽略了那些奇妙的提问。
wondrous:adj.奇妙的;令人惊奇的;非常的;
We've brought it down to the tangent of an angle. 我们把这些冲撞叫正切。
tangent:adj.切线的,相切的;接触的;离题的;n.[数]切线,[数]正切;
But that's not sexy enough. 但这种说法不够令人兴奋。
The way you would put it to a nine-year-old is to say, "If a meteorite was coming to hit the Earth, how would you figure out if it was going to or not?" 要是面对一个九岁大的孩子,你该这么说: “如果一颗流星向地球撞过来, 你怎么知道撞得到还是撞不到?”
meteorite:n.陨星;流星;
And if he says, "Well, what? how?" 假如他说:“哦,什么?怎么知道?”
you say, "There's a magic word. It's called the tangent of an angle," 你说:“有一个神奇单词叫做——正切。”
and leave him alone. He'll figure it out. 然后你留下他一个人。他自己会琢磨出来的。
So here are a couple of images from SOLEs. 这里有一些自主教育环境的图像。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
I've tried incredible , incredible questions -- "When did the world begin? How will it end?" ?? 我尝试问过一些非常惊人的问题—— “世界是从什么时候开始的?它又会怎样结束?”
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
to nine-year-olds. 我问的是一个九岁的小孩。
This one is about what happens to the air we breathe. 这问得是我们呼吸的空气发生了什么变化?
This is done by children without the help of any teacher. 这是孩子们在没有老师的帮助下完成的。
The teacher only raises the question, and then stands back and admires the answer. 老师仅仅提出了问题而已, 然后退到后面,称赞得到的回答。
So what's my wish? 那么,我的愿望是什么?
My wish is that we design the future of learning. 我的愿望是, 我们能设计学习的未来。
We don't want to be spare parts for a great human computer, do we? 我们不想成为巨型人体计算机的 零部件,对吗?
spare:v.节约,吝惜;饶恕;分出,分让;adj.多余的;瘦的;少量的;n.剩余;备用零件;
So we need to design a future for learning. 所以我们需要设计学习的未来。
And I've got to -- hang on, 我得,等一下,
I've got to get this wording exactly right, because, you know, it's very important. 我得精确的表述出来, 因为你们知道,这事关重大。
My wish is to help design a future of learning by supporting children all over the world to tap into their wonder and their ability to work together. 我的愿望是,通过帮助全世界所有的孩子 挖掘他们的好奇心和协作力, 来设计学习的未来。
Help me build this school. 请帮助我建造这样一所学校。
It will be called the School in the Cloud. 它将被称为“云端学院”。
It will be a school where children go on these intellectual adventures driven by the big questions which their mediators put in. 它将会成为一所孩子们被协调人提出的伟大问题驱使着 展开智力冒险的学校。
intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的; mediators:n.介质;介体(mediator的复数);中介人;调解者;
The way I want to do this is to build a facility where I can study this. 我打算 建一所能让我研究这种教育方法的机构。
facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
It's a facility which is practically unmanned . 那将是一个几乎无人操作的机构。
practically:adv.实际地;几乎;事实上; unmanned:adj.无人的; v.使失去男子气质(unman的过去式和过去分词形式);
There's only one granny who manages health and safety. 只有一个老奶奶 确保健康和安全。
The rest of it's from the cloud. 其他一切都来自于计算机和网络。
The lights are turned on and off by the cloud, etc., etc., everything's done from the cloud. 由电脑控制灯光开启和关闭, 等等,等等。所有的事都有电脑完成。
But I want you for another purpose. 但我希望你们做另一件事。
You can do Self-Organized Learning Environments at home, in the school, outside of school, in clubs. 你们来创造自主学习环境, 在家里,在学校,在课外,在社团。
It's very easy to do. There's a great document produced by TED which tells you how to do it. 那很简单。有一大堆来自TED的资料 会告诉你们怎么做。
If you would please, please do it across all five continents and send me the data, then I'll put it all together, move it into the School of Clouds, and create the future of learning. 如果你们愿意, 请在世界所有的角落实践这个方法, 并把资料发给我, 我将把它们汇总起来,整合到云端学院, 并创造学习的未来。
continents:n.[地理]大陆,大洲(continent复数);
That's my wish. 那就是我的愿望。
And just one last thing. 最后,
I'll take you to the top of the Himalayas. 我带你们到喜马拉雅山顶。
At 12,000 feet, where the air is thin, 在海拔1万2千英尺,空气稀薄的地方,
I once built two Hole in the Wall computers, and the children flocked there. 我安置了两台墙洞计算机, 孩子们蜂拥而至。
flocked:v.聚集(flock的过去分词);成群而行;n.植绒;舒美绒皮;
And there was this little girl who was following me around. 有一个小姑娘与我形影不离,
And I said to her, "You know, I want to give a computer to everybody, every child. 我对她说:“你知道吗,我想给每个人,每个孩子一台电脑。
I don't know, what should I do?" 但我不清楚我该怎么做。”
And I was trying to take a picture of her quietly. 我正想悄悄给她拍张照。
She suddenly raised her hand like this, and said to me, " Get on with it." 她突然像这样举起了手,并对我说: “坚持下去。”
Get on with:v.在…获得成功,于…友好相处;继续干;
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(掌声)
I think it was good advice. 我想这是个好主意。
I'll follow her advice. I'll stop talking. 我会采纳她的提议。我的发言结束了。
Thank you. Thank you very much. 谢谢,十分感谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢,谢谢(掌声)
Thank you very much. Wow. (Applause) 十分感谢。哇欧。(掌声)