|
|
SugataMitra_2010G-_关于自我教学的新实验_
|
Well, that's kind of an obvious statement up there. |
嗯,这好像是个显而易见的观点。 |
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
|
I started with that sentence about 12 years ago, and I started in the context of developing countries, but you're sitting here from every corner of the world. |
我在12年前根据这句话开始实验, 我开始在发展中国家 的环境中开始, 但诸位是从世界各地来此的。 |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
|
So if you think of a map of your country, |
所以如果回想一下你国家的地图, |
I think you'll realize that for every country on Earth, you could draw little circles to say, "These are places where good teachers won't go." |
我想你会意识到, 在地球上的每个国家的地图上, 你都可以圈出一些地方说, “好的教师不会去这些地方。” |
On top of that, those are the places from where trouble comes. |
而这些地方 往往容易产生问题。 |
So we have an ironic problem -- good teachers don't want to go to just those places where they're needed the most. |
那么我们就面临一个很讽刺的问题。 好教师不想去 最需要他们的地方。 |
ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的;
|
I started in 1999 to try and address this problem with an experiment, which was a very simple experiment in New Delhi . |
我从1999年开始 试图用实验解决这个问题, 我当时在新德里进行了一个非常简单的实验。 |
Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名);
|
I basically embedded a computer into a wall of a slum in New Delhi. |
基本上,我在新德里贫民窟 的一个墙壁上嵌入了一个电脑。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式); slum:vi.(为猎奇或救济等)去贫民窟;n.贫民窟;陋巷;脏乱的地方;
|
The children barely went to school, they didn't know any English -- they'd never seen a computer before, and they didn't know what the internet was. |
这里的孩子很少上学。他们一点儿也不懂英文。 他们以前从未见过电脑, 并且他们不知道什么是互联网。 |
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
|
I connected high speed internet to it -- it's about three feet off the ground -- turned it on and left it there. |
我把电脑接入高速互联网——大约离地面3英尺高—— 打开电脑然后离开了。 |
off the ground:已开始的;在进行中;
|
After this, we noticed a couple of interesting things, which you'll see. |
之后, 我们注意到一些有趣的事情,你们等一下会看到。 |
But I repeated this all over India and then through a large part of the world and noticed that children will learn to do what they want to learn to do. |
我在印度各地 以及世界上许多地方 重复这个实验, 我们发现 孩子们会学习 他们想学的东西。 |
This is the first experiment that we did -- eight year-old boy on your right teaching his student, a six year-old girl, and he was teaching her how to browse . |
这是我们做的第一个实验—— 在右边是一个8岁的男孩 教他的学生,一个6岁的女孩, 他在教她如何浏览网页。 |
browse:v.浏览;吃草;n.浏览;吃草;
|
This boy here in the middle of central India -- this is in a Rajasthan village, where the children recorded their own music and then played it back to each other and in the process , they've enjoyed themselves thoroughly . |
这个男孩生活在印度中部—— 这是在Rajasthan村, 孩子们在录制他们自己的音乐 并互相放给对方听, 在这个过程中, 他们完全沉浸在欢乐中。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; thoroughly:adv.彻底地,完全地;
|
They did all of this in four hours after seeing the computer for the first time. |
他们在第一次见到电脑 4小时后做了这些。 |
In another South Indian village, these boys here had assembled a video camera and were trying to take the photograph of a bumble bee . |
在另一个南印度的村落, 这些男孩 组装了一个录像机 并试图拍一个大黄蜂。 |
assembled:v.聚集;集合;收集;装配;组装;(assemble的过去分词和过去式) video camera:n.摄像机; bumble bee:n.大黄蜂;
|
They downloaded it from Disney .com, or one of these websites, 14 days after putting the computer in their village. |
他们从Disney.com或这些网站的其中一个 下载了它, 这发生在把电脑放在他们村里的14天后。 |
Disney:n.迪斯尼(美国动画影片制作家及制片人);
|
So at the end of it, we concluded that groups of children can learn to use computers and the internet on their own, irrespective of who or where they were. |
因此,最终我们得出一个结论, 那就是成组的孩子 可以自己学习如何使用电脑和互联网, 任何地方的任何孩子 都可以。 |
concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式) irrespective of:prep.不考虑;不管;不受…影响;adj.不顾;不考虑;
|
At that point, I became a little more ambitious and decided to see what else could children do with a computer. |
到这时,我的野心更大了一点, 并决定看看 孩子们还能用电脑做什么。 |
ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的;
|
We started off with an experiment in Hyderabad, India, where I gave a group of children -- they spoke English with a very strong Telugu accent . |
我们在印度的海得拉巴市开始了这个实验, 我把一台电脑给了一群孩子—— 他们讲英语时带着 |
accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话;
|
I gave them a computer with a speech-to-text interface , which you now get free with Windows, and asked them to speak into it. |
很强的泰卢固语口音, 电脑里有语音文字转换界面, 现在这个功能在Windows里是免费的, 我让他们对着电脑说话。 |
interface:n.接口;人机界面;连接电路;v.连接;
|
So when they spoke into it, the computer typed out gibberish , so they said, "Well, it doesn't understand anything of what we are saying." |
当他们对着电脑说的时候, 电脑打出了毫无意义的乱语, 然后他们说,“电脑一点都不知道我们在说什么。” |
gibberish:n.乱语;快速而不清楚的言语;
|
So I said, "Yeah, I'll leave it here for two months. |
我就说,“是啊,我把电脑放这儿两个月。 |
Make yourself understood to the computer." |
你们设法让电脑知道 你们在说什么“ |
So the children said, "How do we do that." |
然后孩子们问,”我们要怎么做啊?“ |
And I said, "I don't know, actually." |
我说, ”其实我也不知道。“ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I left. |
然后我走了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Two months later -- and this is now documented in the Information Technology for International Development journal -- that accents had changed and were remarkably close to the neutral British accent in which I had trained the speech-to-text synthesizer . |
两个月后—— 现在这项研究刊登在 《国际发展领域的信息技术应用》 这本杂志上—— 他们的口音变了 变得非常接近我在语音文字合成器中设定的 正规英国口音。 |
Information Technology:n.信息技术; journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报; accents:n.口音;土音;强调;重音;v.着重;强调;突出;(accent的第三人称单数和复数) remarkably:adv.非常;极为;格外;出乎意料地 neutral:n.中立国; adj.中立的; synthesizer:n.[电子]合成器;合成者;
|
In other words, they were all speaking like James Tooley. |
也就是说,他们说得都跟James Tooley似的。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So they could do that on their own. |
所以他们可以靠自己完成。 |
After that, I started to experiment with various other things that they might learn to do on their own. |
然后,我开始实验让 他们做一些可能靠自己做到的 其他不同的事情。 |
I got an interesting phone call once from Columbo, from the late Arthur C. Clarke, who said, "I want to see what's going on." |
我曾接到来自Columbo现已去世的 科幻小说作家Arthur C. Clarke的一个有趣的电话, 他说,“我想亲自看看实验进展。” |
And he couldn't travel, so I went over there. |
因他无法旅行,所以我到他那里去。 |
He said two interesting things, "A teacher that can be replaced by a machine should be." |
他说了两件有趣的事情, “一个可以被机器替换的老师应该被替换。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
The second thing he said was that, "If children have interest, then education happens." |
他说的第二件事是, “如果孩子们有兴趣 那么教育就会自然发生。“ |
And I was doing that in the field, so every time I would watch it and think of him. |
而我正将此付诸实践, 所以每次我都会看这个录像并想到他。 |
(Video) Arthur C. Clarke: And they can definitely help people, because children quickly learn to navigate the web and find things which interest them. |
(录像)Arthur C. Clarke:它们肯定会 对人们有帮助, 因为孩子们很快学会如何浏览 并找到他们感兴趣的东西。 |
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
|
And when you've got interest, then you have education. |
当他们产生兴趣时,教育就自然发生了。 |
Sugata Mitra: I took the experiment to South Africa. |
Sugata Mitra:我在南非进行了这个实验。 |
This is a 15 year-old boy. |
这是一个15岁大的男孩。 |
(Video) Boy: ... just mention, I play games like animals, and I listen to music. |
(录像):男孩:……顺便提一下,我像 动物一样玩游戏, 并且我听音乐。 |
SM: And I asked him, "Do you send emails?" |
SM:然后我问他:”你发送电子邮件吗?“ |
And he said, "Yes, and they hop across the ocean." |
他说,”是的,它们会跨越海洋。“ |
hop:n.啤酒花;单足短距离跳跃;;v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;突然快速去某处;
|
This is in Cambodia , rural Cambodia -- a fairly silly arith metic game, which no child would play inside the classroom or at home. |
这是在柬埔寨, 乡下似的柬埔寨 这是一个比较愚蠢的算术游戏, 没有孩子会在教室或家里玩它。 |
Cambodia:n.柬埔寨(位于亚洲); rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
They would, you know, throw it back at you. |
他们会把它扔回来给你。 |
They'd say, "This is very boring ." |
他们会说,”这很无聊。“ |
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
|
If you leave it on the pavement and if all the adults go away, then they will show off with each other about what they can do. |
如果你把它留在道路上, 如果大人们都走了, 然后他们就会互相炫耀 他们能做到的东西。 |
pavement:n.路面;人行道;石板铺的地面;
|
This is what these children are doing. |
这是这些孩子正在做的东西。 |
They are trying to multiply , I think. |
我想他们正在试图乘数。 |
multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的;
|
And all over India, at the end of about two years, children were beginning to Google their homework. |
在印度各地, 快到两年的时候, 孩子们开始用谷歌搜索他们的作业。 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
|
As a result , the teachers reported tremendous improvements in their English -- |
结果是,老师们反映他们的 英文进步巨大 |
As a result:结果; tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; improvements:n.改善;改进;改善的事物;(improvement的复数)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
rapid improvement and all sorts of things. |
其他方面的进步也很快。 |
They said, "They have become really deep thinkers and so on and so forth. |
他们说,”孩子们的思维变得很深刻,诸如此类。“ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And indeed they had. |
的确是这样的。 |
I mean, if there's stuff on Google, why would you need to stuff it into your head? |
我的意思是,如果这东西在谷歌上有, 何必要在脑子里记住? |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
So at the end of the next four years, |
又过了将近四年, |
I decided that groups of children can navigate the internet to achieve educational objectives on their own. |
我认为这些孩子可以自行通过浏览网络 来达到教育的目标。 |
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的 objectives:n.目的(objective的复数形式);目标;宗旨;
|
At that time, a large amount of money had come into Newcastle University to improve schooling in India. |
那时,纽卡斯特大学接到了 一大笔捐款 来改善印度的学校。 |
Newcastle:n.纽卡斯尔(英国港市);
|
So Newcastle gave me a call. I said, "I'll do it from Delhi." |
于是纽卡斯特大学给了我一个电话。我说,”我会从德里开始。“ |
They said, "There's no way you're going to handle a million pounds-worth of University money sitting in Delhi." |
他们说, 你不可能坐在德里 来处理上百万英镑 的学校经费。 |
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
|
So in 2006, |
于是在2006年, |
I bought myself a heavy overcoat and moved to Newcastle. |
我给自己买了一件厚重的大衣 来到纽卡斯特。 |
overcoat:n.大衣,外套;
|
I wanted to test the limits of the system. |
我想测试这个系统 的极限。 |
The first experiment I did out of Newcastle was actually done in India. |
我在纽卡斯特之外做的第一个实验 其实是在印度。 |
And I set myself and impossible target: can Tamil speaking 12-year-old children in a South Indian village teach themselves biotechnology in English on their own? |
我为自己制定了一个不可能的目标: 让一群南印度村落 里说泰米尔语的 12岁的孩子们 靠自己用英语 学习生物科技。 |
biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学;
|
And I thought, I'll test them, they'll get a zero -- |
我以为,我会测试他们,他们会得0分。 |
I'll give the materials, I'll come back and test them -- they get another zero, |
我会给他们相关材料,并回来测试他们。 他们又得了零分。 |
I'll go back and say, "Yes, we need teachers for certain things." |
我回去说,“是的,我们需要教师来教些东西。” |
for certain:肯定地;确凿地;
|
I called in 26 children. |
我叫了26个孩子。 |
They all came in there, and I told them that there's some really difficult stuff on this computer. |
他们全都来了,我告诉他们说 这电脑上有些非常困难的东西。 |
I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand anything. |
如果你们一点都理解不了,我也不会感到惊讶。 |
It's all in English, and I'm going. |
它们全部是英文的,我走了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So I left them with it. |
然后我把电脑留给他们。 |
I came back after two months, and the 26 children marched in looking very, very quiet. |
两个月后我回来了, 这26个孩子排队进来,看上去很安静。 |
I said, "Well, did you look at any of the stuff?" |
我说,“嗯,你们有没有看那些东西?” |
They said, "Yes, we did." |
他们说,“是的,我们看了。” |
'"Did you understand anything?" "No, nothing." |
“你们能理解多少?”“一点也不理解。” |
So I said, "Well, how long did you practice on it before you decided you understood nothing?" |
然后我说, “那你们在电脑上操作多久以后, 才认为你们什么也理解不了?” |
They said, "We look at it every day." |
他们说,“我们每天都看。” |
So I said, "For two months, you were looking at stuff you didn't understand?" |
然后我说,“你们这两个月一直都在看你们看不懂的东西?” |
So a 12 year-old girl raises her hand and says, literally , "Apart from the fact that improper replication of the DNA molecule causes genetic disease , we've understood nothing else." |
然后一个12岁的女孩举起手说, 原话是, “除了错误复制DNA分子会 导致遗传疾病这个事实之外, 我们什么也不懂。” |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: improper:adj.不正确的,错误的;不适当的;不合礼仪的; replication:n.复制;回答;反响; molecule:n.[化学]分子;微小颗粒,微粒; genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It took me three years to publish that. |
我花了三年时间发表这个研究结果。 |
publish:v.出版;发表;公布;
|
It's just been published in the British Journal of Educational Technology. |
刚发表在《英国教育科技杂志》上。 |
One of the referees who refereed the paper said, "It's too good to be true," |
其中一个审阅论文的专家说, “这太好了,不可能是真的,” |
referees:裁判; refereed:裁判;调停(referee的过去式和过去分词);
|
which was not very nice. |
我对此不敢苟同。 |
Well, one of the girls had taught herself to become the teacher. |
其中一个女孩自学 成为教师。 |
And then that's her over there. |
那边的那个就是她。 |
Remember, they don't study English. |
不要忘记,她们没学英文。 |
I edited out the last bit when I asked, "Where is the neuron ?" |
我把最后一点删除,我问她,“神经元在哪儿?” |
edited:v.编辑,校订;编选;编集;(edit的过去分词和过去式) neuron:n.[解剖]神经元,神经单位;
|
and she says, "The neuron? The neuron," |
她说,“神经元?神经元?” |
and then she looked and did this. |
然后她看了看做了这个。 |
Whatever the expression , it was not very nice. |
这个表情可不太好。 |
expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
|
So their scores had gone up from zero to 30 percent, which is an educational impossibility under the circumstances . |
那么她们的分数从零分提高到30分, 在这种情形下,已经达到教育上不可能达到的程度了。 |
impossibility:n.不可能;不可能的事; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
|
But 30 percent is not a pass. |
但30分还是不及格。 |
So I found that they had a friend, a local accountant , a young girl, and they played football with her. |
于是我发现她们有一个朋友, 一个年轻的女孩,在当地做会计, 她们跟她经常踢足球。 |
accountant:n.会计;会计师;
|
I asked that girl, "Would you teach them enough biotechnology to pass?" |
我问这个女孩,“你愿意 教她们足够的生物科技知识,来帮她们及格吗?” |
And she said, "How would I do that? I don't know the subject." |
她说,“我怎么能做到啊?我根本不懂这门科目。” |
I said, "No, use the method of the grandmother." |
我说,“你是不懂,不过可以用奶奶的方法。” |
She said, "What's that?" |
她说,“那是什么?” |
I said, "Well, what you've got to do is stand behind them and admire them all the time. |
我说,“嗯,你要做的只是 站在她们后面 并且一直赞美她们。 |
Just say to them, 'That's cool. That's fantastic . |
只需对她们说,‘这好酷哦。这太棒了。 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
What is that? Can you do that again? Can you show me some more?'" |
这是什么?你能再做一遍吗?能不能让我多看一些?’” |
She did that for two months. |
她这样做了两个月。 |
The scores went up to 50, which is what the posh schools of New Delhi, with a trained biotechnology teacher were getting. |
分数提高到50分, 这分数跟新德里豪华学校的学生差不多, 那样的豪华学校却是配备着训练有素的生物科技教师的 |
posh:adj.时髦的;漂亮的;奢侈的;
|
So I came back to Newcastle with these results and decided that there was something happening here that definitely was getting very serious. |
于是我戴着这些研究结果 回到纽卡斯特, 我认为 这里所发生的事情 确实具有重大价值。 |
So, having experimented in all sorts of remote places, |
在各种各样的偏远地区实验之后, |
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
|
I came to the most remote place that I could think of. |
我来到我能想到的最偏远的地方。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Approximately 5,000 miles from Delhi is the little town of Gateshead. |
距离德里大约5000英里的地方 有一个小镇叫Gateshead。 |
Approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于;
|
In Gateshead, I took 32 children and I started to fine-tune the method. |
在Gateshead,我找了32个孩子, 并开始调整实验方法。 |
fine-tune:vt.调整;使有规则;对进行微调;
|
I made them into groups of four. |
我让他们分成四组。 |
I said, "You make your own groups of four. |
我说,“你们自己分成四组。 |
Each group of four can use one computer and not four computers." |
每组四个人用一台电脑,而不是四台电脑。” |
Remember, from the Hole in the Wall. |
别忘了,来自那个墙上的洞。 |
'"You can exchange groups. |
“你们可以交换组别。 |
exchange:n.交换;交流;交易所;兑换;v.交换;交易;兑换;
|
You can walk across to another group, if you don't like your group, etc. |
如果不喜欢自己的组, 可以去其他组,等等。 |
You can go to another group, peer over their shoulders, see what they're doing, come back to you own group and claim it as your own work." |
你们可以去另一个组偷看,看看他们在干什么, 然后回来宣称这是你们自己做的。” |
peer:n.同辈;同龄人;身份(或地位)相同的人;(英国)贵族成员;v.仔细看;端详; claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得;
|
And I explained to them that, you know, a lot of scientific research is done using that method. |
我跟他们解释, 你们懂的,许多科学研究就是这么来的。 |
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
The children enthusiastically got after me and said, "Now, what do you want us to do?" |
孩子们非常热切地追着我说, “现在你要让我们做什么?” |
enthusiastically:adv.热心地;满腔热情地;
|
I gave them six GCSE questions. |
我给了他们六个GCSE普通中等教育证书的问题。 |
The first group -- the best one -- solved everything in 20 minutes. |
第一组,最好的一组, 在20分钟内解决了所有问题。 |
The worst, in 45. |
最差的一组,45分钟内完成。 |
They used everything that they knew -- news groups, Google, Wikipedia , |
他们使用所有他们知道的方法-- 新闻组,谷歌,维基百科, |
Wikipedia:维基百科;
|
Ask Jeeves , etc. |
问Jeeves等等。 |
Jeeves:n.吉夫斯(美国作家P.G.Wodehouse所著小说中人物,现用来指理想的男仆);
|
The teachers said, "Is this deep learning?" |
教师们问,“这算是深入的学习吗?” |
I said, "Well, let's try it. |
我说,“那让我们来试试这个吧。 |
I'll come back after two months. |
我两个月后回来。 |
We'll give them a paper test -- no computers, no talking to each other, etc." |
我让他们参加一个笔试测试-- 没有电脑,不准互相交谈,等等。” |
The average score when I'd done it with the computers and the groups was 76 percent. |
在允许使用电脑和小组学习的情况下,平均分数 是76。 |
When I did the experiment, when I did the test, after two months, the score was 76 percent. |
在两个月后进行的测试, 分数还是 76。 |
There was photographic recall inside the children, |
孩子们拥有 摄像记忆的能力。 |
photographic:adj.摄影的;逼真的;(尤指记忆)详细准确的; recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令;
|
I suspect because they're discussing with each other. |
我怀疑这是因为他们互相讨论的结果。 |
suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的;
|
A single child in front of a single computer will not do that. |
一个孩子一台电脑是不会产生 这样的效果的。 |
I have further results, which are almost unbelievable , of scores which go up with time. |
我还有些更深入的研究结果, 几乎是难以令人相信的, 这些分数随着时间推移而提高。 |
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
|
Because their teachers say that after the session is over, the children continue to Google further. |
因为他们的老师说, 在研究结束后, 孩子们继续更深入的谷歌搜索。 |
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
|
Here in Britain, I put out a call for British grandmothers, after my Kuppam experiment. |
在英国,在我的[]实验后, 我给英国的奶奶们 发了一个号召。 |
Well, you know, they're very vigorous people, British grandmothers. |
嗯,你们知道, 英国的奶奶们是非常具有活力的人群。 |
vigorous:adj.有力的;精力充沛的;
|
200 of them volunteered immediately. |
有200人马上志愿加入。 |
volunteered:v.自愿做;义务做;自愿参军;(volunteer的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
The deal was that they would give me one hour of broadband time, sitting in their homes, one day in a week. |
协议是她们给我 一个小时的宽带上网时间, 在她们家里坐着, 每个星期一次。 |
broadband:n.宽频;宽波段;adj.宽频带的;宽波段的;宽频通讯的;
|
So they did that, and over the last two years, over 600 hours of instruction has happened over Skype , using what my students call the granny cloud. |
然后她们这么做了。 在过去两年里, 有600小时的指导 通过Skype进行了, 使用的是我的学生们称之为奶奶云的方法。 |
Skype:n.网络电话(一个网络语音沟通工具);
|
The granny cloud sits over there. |
奶奶云在那儿坐着。 |
I can beam them to whichever school I want to. |
我可以把她们传送到任何我想传送的学校。 |
beam:n.光线; v.发射(电波); whichever:pron.任何一个;无论哪个;adj.无论哪个;无论哪些;
|
(Video) Teacher: You can't catch me. |
(录像)老师:你抓不到我。 |
You say it. |
跟我读。 |
You can't catch me. |
你抓不到我。 |
Children: You can't catch me. |
孩子们:你抓不到我。 |
Teacher: I'm the gingerbread man. |
老师:我是姜饼人。 |
gingerbread:n.姜饼;华而不实的东西;adj.华而不实的;
|
Children: I'm the gingerbread man. |
孩子们:我是姜饼人。 |
Teacher: Well done . Very good ... |
老师:做的很好,非常好。 |
Well done:好样的,干得好;
|
SM: Back at Gateshead, a 10-year-old girl gets into the heart of Hinduism in 15 minutes. |
SM:回到Gateshead, 一个10岁的女孩在15分钟内进入了 印度教的中心。 |
Hinduism:n.印度教;
|
You know, stuff which I don't know anything about. |
你知道,这些东西我一点也不懂。 |
Two children watch a TEDTalk. |
两个孩子在看TED演讲。 |
They wanted to be footballers before. |
而他们以前想当足球运动员。 |
footballers:n.足球运动员;橄榄球运动员;
|
After watching eight TEDTalks, he wants to become Leonardo da Vinci. |
看了8个TED演讲者之后, 他想成为达芬奇。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
It's pretty simple stuff. |
这是很简单的东西。 |
This is what I'm building now -- they're called SOLEs : Self Organized Learning Environments. |
这是我现在在构建的。 它们叫SOLEs:自我组织的学习环境。 |
SOLEs:n.[服装]鞋底,脚底; v.给(鞋等)上底(sole的三单形式); Organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
|
The furniture is designed so that children can sit in front of big, powerful screens, big broadband connections, but in groups. |
这些装置是特地设计的, 好让孩子们坐在一个强大的屏幕前面, 拥有高速宽带连接,他们是分组的。 |
furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物;
|
If they want, they can call the granny cloud. |
如果他们愿意的话,可以叫上奶奶云。 |
This is a SOLE in Newcastle. |
这是在纽卡斯特设置的一个SOLE。 |
The mediator is from Pune, India. |
这个中间人来自印度的[]。 |
mediator:n.调停者;传递者;中介物;
|
So how far can we go? One last little bit and I'll stop. |
我们能够走多远?再说一点我就结束。 |
I went to Turin in May. |
我在五月去了都灵。 |
I sent all the teachers away from my group of 10 year-old students. |
我找了一组10岁的学生,让他们的老师全部离开。 |
I speak only English, they speak only Italian, so we had no way to communicate. |
我只说英语,他们只说意大利语, 所以我们没有办法沟通。 |
I started writing English questions on the blackboard. |
我开始在黑板上写英语问题。 |
The children looked at it and said, "What?" |
孩子们看了以后说,“什么?” |
I said, "Well, do it." |
我说,“嗯,做吧。” |
They typed it into Google, translated it into Italian, went back into Italian Google. |
他们把它输入谷歌,翻译成意大利语, 然后去意大利语谷歌。 |
Fifteen minutes later -- next question: where is Calcutta ? |
15分钟后…… 下一个问题:Calcutta在哪儿? |
Calcutta:n.加尔各答(印度城市);
|
This one, they took only 10 minutes. |
他们在这个问题上花了10分钟。 |
I tried a really hard one then. |
然后我试了一个很难的问题。 |
Who was Pythagoras, and what did he do? |
毕达哥拉斯是谁,他做了什么? |
There was silence for a while , then they said, "You've spelled it wrong. |
他们沉默了一会儿, 然后说,“你拼错了。 |
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
|
It's Pitagora." |
应该是Pitagora。” |
And then, in 20 minutes, the right-angled triangles began to appear on the screens. |
然后, 过了20分钟, 直角三角形开始在屏幕上出现。 |
right-angled:adj.直角的; triangles:n.[数]三角形,三角型态(triangle的复数形式);
|
This sent shivers up my spine . |
这让我脊梁冒汗。 |
shivers:n.寒颤;碎片(shiver的复数);v.颤抖(shiver的第三人称单数);打碎; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊;
|
These are 10 year-olds. |
他们只是10岁的孩子。 |
Text: In another 30 minutes they would reach the Theory of Relativity . And then? |
文字:再过30分钟他们就会到达相对论。然后呢? |
Relativity:n.相对论;相关性;相对性;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
SM: So you know what's happened? |
SM:所以你知道发生了什么吗? |
I think we've just stumbled across a self-organizing system. |
我认为我们偶然发现了 一个自我组织的系统。 |
stumbled:v.绊脚;跌跌撞撞地走;蹒跚而行;(stumble的过去分词和过去式) self-organizing:n.[计]自组织;
|
A self-organizing system is one where a structure appears without explicit intervention from the outside. |
一个自我组织的系统是指 在没有外界干预的情况下 自动出现的一个结构。 |
structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造; explicit:adj.明确的;清楚的;直率的;详述的; intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍;
|
Self-organizing systems also always show emergence , which is that the system starts to do things, which it was never designed for. |
而且自我组织系统总是出现这样的现象, 即这系统会开始做些事情, 而系统本非为此而设计。 |
emergence:n.出现,浮现;发生;露头;
|
Which is why you react the way you do, because it looks impossible. |
这也是你们为什么会这么反应, 因为它看起来是不可能的。 |
react:v.起反应;回应;(对食物等)有不良反应,过敏;起化学反应;
|
I think I can make a guess now -- education is self-organizing system, where learning is an emergent phenomenon . |
我认为我可以在此做个猜测。 教育是一个自我组织的系统, 而学习是一个显露的现象。 |
emergent:adj.紧急的;浮现的;意外的;自然发生的; phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
|
It'll take a few years to prove it, experimentally , but I'm going to try. |
这可能要花几年的时间才能通过实验证明, 但我会努力去尝试。 |
experimentally:adv.实验上;用实验方法;实验式地;
|
But in the meanwhile , there is a method available. |
但现在,有一个方法是有效的。 |
meanwhile:adv.同时,其间;n.其间,其时;
|
One billion children, we need 100 million mediators -- there are many more than that on the planet -- 10 million SOLEs, 180 billion dollars and 10 years. |
10亿孩子,我们需要1亿中间人-- 我们世上远比这多-- 成立1千万个SOLE, 1万8千亿美元和10年 |
mediators:n.介质;介体(mediator的复数);中介人;调解者;
|
We could change everything. |
我们可以改变一切。 |
Thanks. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |