返回首页

SteveHoward_2013G-_为可持续发展全力以赴_

I've spent my life working on sustainability . 我一生的工作都与可持续发展有关。
sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性;
I set up a climate change NGO called The Climate Group. 我成立了一个与气候变化有关的非政府组织, 叫“气候集团”。
I worked on forestry issues in WWF. 我在世界野生物基金会(WWF)研究林业问题。
forestry:n.林业;森林地;林学; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
I worked on development and agriculture issues in the U.N. system. 我在联合国研究经济发展 和农业问题。
About 25 years in total, and then three years ago, I found myself talking to 我有共25年这方面的工作经验。 就在三年前,我却在和宜家的行政总裁
IKEA's CEO about joining his team. 讨论加入宜家团队的事儿。
Like many people here, well, 像在座的很多人一样,我呢,
I want to maximize my personal impact in the world, so I'm going to explain why I joined the team there. 也想让我的人生意义最大化。 在这里,我要和你们谈谈我为什么要加入宜家的团队。
maximize:vt.取…最大值;对…极为重视;vi.尽可能广义地解释;达到最大值; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
But first, let's just take three numbers. 开始之前,我先给你们讲三个数字。
The first number is three: three billion people. 第一个数字是三: 三十亿人。
This is the number of people joining the global middle class by 2030, coming out of poverty . 2030年为止,全球将有三十亿人 摆脱贫困, 进入中产阶层。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; middle class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
It's fantastic for them and their families, but we've got two billion people in the global middle class today, and this swells that number to five, a big challenge when we already have resource scarcity . 进入中产阶层。 但是,(请想想),我们现在已有二十亿的中产阶层, 加在一起,就膨胀成了五十亿! 这对于我们现已紧缺的自然资源是个巨大的挑战。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 swells:v.涌浪;胀罐(swell的第三人称单数形式);n.肿胀(swell的复数); resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备); scarcity:n.不足;缺乏;
The second number is six: 第二个数字是六:
This is six degrees centigrade , what we're heading towards in terms of global warming . 就是六摄氏度。 就是全球暖化的温度增高值。
centigrade:adj.摄氏的;[仪]摄氏温度的;百分度的; global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
We're not heading towards one degree or three degrees or four degrees, we're heading toward six degrees. 我们不是在谈论一度、三度 或者四度的变化,我们在谈论的是 全球温度将增高六个摄氏度。
And if you think about it, all of the weird weather we've been having the last few years, much of that is due to just one degree warming, and we need CO2 emissions to peak by the end of this decade globally and then come down. 你可以回想一下,我们在最近几年 所经历的怪异气候, 就仅仅是由于一个摄氏度的暖化效应。 我们需要让全球范围内二氧化碳的排出到 这十年内达到一个峰值, 然后让它降下来。
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数) peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的;
It's not inevitable , but we need to act decisively . 这不是不可能做到的,但我们需要马上行动起来。
inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的; decisively:adv.果断地;决然地;
The third number is 12: 第三个数字是十二:
That's the number of cities in the world that had a million or more people when my grandmother was born. 我奶奶出生的时候, 世界上人口达到 一百万的城市只有十二个。
You can see my grandmother there. 你可以(在投影上)看到我奶奶的照片。
That was in the beginning of the last century. 那是上个世纪开始的时候。
So just 12 cities. She was born in Manchester, England, the ninth largest city in the world. 只有十二座大城市。她在英国的曼彻斯特出生, 当时世界排名十九的大城市。
Now there are 500 cities, nearly, with a million people or more in them. 现在呢,拥有一百万以上人口的大城市 有将近500座。
And if you look at the century from 1950 to 2050, that's the century when we build all the world's cities, the century that we're in the middle of right now. 你如果纵览下从1950到2050的一百年, 这是个我们建设所有世界城市的一百年, 我们现在正处在这一百年的中间阶段。
Every other century was kind of practice, and this lays down a blueprint for how we live. 之前的其他百年就像是一种预演, 奠定了我们现在生活的美好蓝图。
blueprint:vt.计划;制成蓝图;n.蓝图,设计图;计划;
So think about it. 所以让我们好好想想。
We're building cities like never before, bringing people out of poverty like never before, and changing the climate like never before. 我们在建设前所未有的城市, 前所未有地从贫困中摆脱出来。 也前所未有地改变了气候环境。
Sustainability has gone from a nice-to-do to a must-do. 可持续发展需要从“应该做的好事” 变成了“必须做的事”。
it's about what we do right here, right now, and for the rest of our working lives. 就是说我们要现在就去做,立刻就去做, 要一直做下去。
So I'm going to talk a little bit about what business can do and what a business like IKEA can do, and we have a sustainability strategy called "people and planet positive " 现在我就谈谈企业 可以做什么(来保持可持续发展), 像宜家这样的企业可以做什么。 我们宜家有个可持续发展战略 叫做“人类与星球正能量”,
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
to help guide our business to have a positive impact on the world. 来指导我们的商业活动给世界带来正面影响。
Why would we not want to have a positive impact on the world as a business? 作为大型企业,我们怎么可能不愿意给这个世界 带来正面的积极的影响呢?
Other companies have sustainability strategies . 其他企业也同样有他们的可持续发展战略。
strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数)
I'm going to refer to some of those as well, and I'm just going to mention a few of the commitments as illustrations that we've got. 我一会儿会把他们的战略也讲给你们听, 我要以几个 工作任务为例,来讲讲我们目前的工作成绩。
refer:v.参考;涉及;提到;查阅; commitments:n.承诺,保证;委托;承担义务;献身;(commitment的复数) illustrations:n.[印刷]插图;插画(illustration的复数);
But first, let's think of customers. 但首先,让我们考虑一下我们的顾客。
We know from asking people from China to the U.S. 我们知道如果我们问顾客,不管中国的,还是美国的,
that the vast majority of people care about sustainability after the day-to-day issues, the day-to-day issues of, how do I get my kids to school? 绝大多数的顾客除了自己的日常生活, 也很关心可持续发展。 日常问题就是,我怎么让孩子去上学?
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: day-to-day:adj.日常的;逐日的;
Can I pay the bills at the end of the month? 到月底我能付得起帐单吗?
Then they care about big issues like climate change. 其次,他们关心的就是气候变化之类的重大问题。
But they want it to be easy, affordable and attractive , and they expect business to help, and they're a little bit disappointed today. 但他们想要简单的、 负担得起的和吸引人的方案, 他们期待商家能够为此出力, 但他们现在有点失望。
affordable:adj.负担得起的; attractive:adj.吸引人的;有魅力的;引人注目的;
So take your mind back and think of the first sustainable products. 现在我把你们的思绪带回来, 讲讲我们的第一代可持续产品。
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
We had detergents that could wash your whites grayer. 我们生产了可以让你的白衣服越洗越灰的洗涤剂。
detergents:n.[化工]洗涤剂(detergent的复数);清洁剂;
We had the early energy-efficient light bulbs that took five minutes to warm up and then you were left looking a kind of sickly color. 我们生产了早期的高效节能灯泡。 这种灯泡需要五分钟先热起来 然后你可以看到的是一种病蔫蔫的颜色。
energy-efficient:adj.节能的,节约能源的;高能效的; bulbs:n.[电]灯泡;[植]鳞茎;大浇斗(bulb的复数); sickly:adj.有病的,苍白的; v.病态地; vt.使苍白,使现病容;
And we had the rough, recycled toilet paper . 我们还生产了粗糙的再次利用的厕纸。
recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的; toilet paper:卫生纸,厕纸;
So every time you pulled on a t-shirt, or switched the light on, or went to the bathroom, or sometimes all three together, you were reminded sustainability was about compromise . 所以每次你拿出一件体恤衫, 或打开电灯,或去卫生间, 或三件事都要做, 你就会意识到可持续发展就意味着要妥协。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险;
It wasn't a great start. 这当然不是一个好的开始。
Today we have choices. 现在我们有了不同的选择。
We can make products that are beautiful or ugly , sustainable or unsustainable , affordable or expensive, functional or useless. 我们可以制造美丽或丑陋的产品, 可持续或不可持续的产品、 经济的或昂贵的产品、 功能齐全的或一无是处的产品。
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的; unsustainable:adj.无法支撑的;不可证实的;不能成立的; functional:adj.功能的;
So let's make beautiful, functional, affordable, sustainable products. 因此,我们要制造外观好、 功能全、 价格合理的, 可持续性产品。
Let's take the LED. 让我们看看 LED产品。
The LED is the next best thing to daylight . LED 是新的日光灯产品。
daylight:n.日光;
The old-fashioned lightbulbs, the incandescent bulbs -- 老式灯泡,那种白炽灯泡......
old-fashioned:adj.老式的;过时的;守旧的; incandescent:adj.辉耀的;炽热的;发白热光的;
I'm not going to ask for a show of hands of how many of you still have them in your homes, wasting energy every time you switch them on -- change them after this -- 我当然不会让你们举手告诉我 你们中的多少人家里还用白炽灯泡, 每次你打开开关就开始浪费能量 听完我的话,换掉它!
or whether we have them on the stage here at TED or not -- but those old incandescent light bulbs really should have been sold as heaters . 说不定,在这里,TED 的舞台上就有白炽灯泡呢! 那些老白炽灯泡 真的应该当为加热器卖。
on the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员; heaters:n.[建]加热器;取暖器(heater的复数形式);
They were mis-sold for more than a hundred years. 它们被误卖了一百多年呀。
They produced heat and a little bit of light on the side. 这种灯产生大量的热量,却只发出微弱的光。
Now we have lights that produce light and a little bit of heat on the side. 现在我们有了可以发出亮光 却很少产热的灯泡。
You save 85 percent of the electricity with an LED that you would have done in an old incandescent. 使用 LED灯泡比旧式白炽灯泡, 节省 85%的电费。
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
And the best thing is, they'll also last for more than 20 years. 最棒的是,它们的使用寿命 可以超过20年。
So think about that. 所以好好想想吧!
You'll change your smartphone seven or eight times, probably more if you're in this audience. 二十年里,你可能换了七八次手机。 如果在这个大厅的话,你会换得更勤。
smartphone:n.智能手机;
You'll change your car, if you have one, three or four times. 二十年里,你可能换了一次或者三四次你的车。
Your kids could go to school, go to college, go away and have kids of their own, come back, bring the grandkids , you'll have the same lightbulb saving you energy. 二十年里,你的孩子可能开始上学了,可能去了大学, 可能离家独立,可能有了他们自己的孩子,然后, 可能带着你的孙子来看你呢。 但二十年里,你却从来不用换灯泡。
grandkids:n.(外)孙;(外)孙女;(grandkid的复数)
So LEDs are fantastic. 所以说, LED灯泡很神奇。
LEDs:v.领导;通向;指引(lead的过去分词);
What we decided to do was not to sell LEDs on the side marked up high and continue to push all the old bulbs, the halogens and the CFLs. 我们要做的 不是要高价卖LED灯泡, 慢慢把所有旧灯泡, 卤素和荧光灯管赶下舞台。
halogens:n.[化学]卤素(halogen的复数);卤族;
We decided, over the next two years, we will ban the halogens and the CFLs ourselves. 我们决定在未来两年间, 我们自己将不再生产卤素和荧光灯管。
ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令;
We will go all in. 我们将全力以赴来做这件事。
And this is what business needs to do: go all-in , go 100 percent, because then you stop investing in the old stuff , you invest in the new stuff , you lower costs, you use your supply chain and your creativity 我们将全力以赴来做这件事。 投入百分百的精力。 因为停止对老式产品的投资, 只对新产品投资,就可以降低成本。 利用你自己的供应链和创造力
all-in:adj.包括一切的;n.全进;全押; investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: supply chain:n.供应链;
and you get the prices down so everybody can afford the best lights so they can save energy. 你就可以把价格降到人们可以接受的程度, 生产出最好的灯泡让顾客节省能源。
(Applause) (掌声)
It's not just about products in people's homes. 它不仅仅是顾客们家里的一个产品。
We've got to think about the raw materials that produce our products. 我们得想想产品的 原材料。
Obviously there's fantastic opportunities with recycled materials, and we can and will go zero waste. 很显然我们可以 使用再生材料, 让我们能够做到零浪费,
And there's opportunities in a circular economy . 还能将产品重新利用。
circular:adj.圆形的; n.(同时送达很多人的)印刷信函(或通知、广告); economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
But we're still dependent on natural, raw materials. 但我们的生活仍然离不开自然、离不开原材料。
dependent on:依赖于;依靠;
Let's take cotton. 就说棉花吧。
Cotton's brilliant. Probably many people are wearing cotton right now. 棉花可是个好东西。可能在座的很多人 正穿着棉质衣服。
It's a brilliant textile in use. 棉花是非常棒的纺织原材料。
textile:n.纺织品;纺织业;
It's really dirty in production. 但是生产棉花的过程却很脏。
It uses lots of pesticides , lots of fertilizer , lots of water. 棉花的生产需要大量的农药、 化肥和水。
pesticides:n.[农药]农药;[农药]杀虫剂(pesticide的复数); fertilizer:n.[肥料]肥料;受精媒介物;促进发展者;
So we've worked with others, with other businesses and NGOs, on the Better Cotton Initiative , working right back down to the farm, and there you can halve the amount of water and halve the chemical inputs , the yields increase, and 60 percent of the costs of running many of these farms with farmers with low incomes can be chemical imports. 我们与其他人合作, 与其他企业和非政府组织合作, 提出了“更好棉花倡议”。 直接和生产棉花的农场合作, 让用水量减半, 让化学投入减半, 提高产量。其实一些低收入农场 60%的投资都是在 购买 化学进口产品上。
Initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的; halve:vt.二等分;把…减半; chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; inputs:n.[自][电子]输入;投入(input的复数); yields:n.生产量,投资效益(yield的复数形式); v.[经]生产;
Yields increase, and you halve the input costs. 产量提高,同时你的投入可以减半。
Farmers are coming out of poverty. They love it. 棉农可以摆脱贫困。他们喜欢这样的方案。
Already hundreds of thousands of farmers have been reached, and now we've got 60 percent better cotton in our business. 已经有成千上万的棉农 脱贫了。 我们现在呢,就有了60%更优质的棉花来生产产品。
Again, we're going all-in. 这一次,我们还是全力以赴。
By 2015, we'll be 100 percent Better Cotton. 到2015 年,我们会 100%的更优质棉花。
Take the topic of 100 percent targets, actually. 我们实际上确实是把100%作为目标。
People sometimes think that 100 percent's going to be hard, and we've had the conversation in the business. 有时人们会觉得 是很难做到100%的。 在工作中我们也有过这样的讨论。
Actually, we found 100 percent is easier to do than 90 percent or 50 percent. 实际上,我们发现做到100%要比 做到90%或 50%更容易。
If you have a 90 percent target, everyone in the business finds a reason to be in the 10 percent. 如果你以 90%为目标, 工作环节中的每个人可以为 不足的那10%找到托辞。
When it's 100 percent, it's kind of clear, and businesspeople like clarity , because then you just get the job done. 如果是 100%,这就很清楚明了了, 从业人员就喜欢清楚明了。 因为这就是需要你把该干的干好。
businesspeople:商人; clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明;
So, wood. We know with forestry, it's a choice. 就拿木材来说,我们知道, 说到林业,它是一个选择的问题。
You've got illegal logging and deforestation still on a very large scale , or you can have fantastic, responsible forestry that we can be proud of. 你可以选择非法砍伐, 目前森林砍伐的规模仍然很大。 你可以选择积极负责任地发展林业, 让我们引以自豪。
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工; logging:n.伐木作业;v.把…载入正式记录;记录;采伐;(log的现在分词) deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
It's a simple choice, so we've worked for many years with the Forest Stewardship Council , with literally hundreds of other organizations , and there's a point here about collaboration . 它真的是一个简单的选择。我们一直努力地 与森林管理委员会以及 和成千上万的其他组织合作了很多年。 因为我们有合作上的共识。
Stewardship:n.管理工作;管事人的职位及职责; Council:n.(市、郡等的)政务委员会;市政(或地方管理)服务机构; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
So hundreds of others, of NGOs, of forest workers' unions, and of businesses, have helped create the Forest Stewardship Council, which sets standards for forestry and then checks the forestry's good on the ground. 所以在数百的非政府组织、 森林工人工会和很多企业的帮助下, 森林管理委员会得以创立。 森林管理委员会制定林业标准, 审查林业资源的利用情况。
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
Now together, through our supply chain, with partners, we've managed to certify 35 million hectares of forestry. 我们大家一起,通过我们的供应链 和合作伙伴,我们已经管理认定了 3500 万公顷的森林资源。
certify:v.证明;保证; hectares:n.公顷(hectare的复数);
That's about the size of Germany. 这是一个德国国土的面积。
And we've decided in the next three years, we will double the volume of certified material we put through our business. 我们决心在未来的三年, 把认证的森林资源面积提高一倍。 我们会把这个政策贯彻到我们整个的运营中。
volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本 certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词) put through:v.接通;完成;使穿过;使从事,使经受;
So be decisive on these issues. 对这样的问题态度坚决。
Use your supply chain to drive good. 用你的供应链做有益的事,
But then it comes to your operations. 这样做,对你的生意也有益。
Some things are certain, I think. 我觉得有些事情就是这样明确的。
We know we'll use electricity in 20 or 30 years' time. 我们知道我们会在未来的二三十年里一直使用电力资源。
We know the sun will be shining somewhere, and the wind will still be blowing in 20 or 30 years' time. 我们也知道太阳一直在那儿照耀着我们, 在未来的二三十年里,风也还会不知地吹着。
So why not make our energy out of the sun and the wind? 那我们为什么不利用来自太阳和风的能量呢?
And why not take control of it ourselves? 为什么我们不好好地利用它们呢?
So we're going 100 percent renewable . 所以我们要利用100%的可再生资源。
renewable:adj.可再生的;可更新的;可继续的;n.再生性能源;
By 2020, we'll produce more renewable energy than the energy we consume as a business. 到2020 年,我们会生产出 比我们业务所消耗的更多的再生能源。
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
For all of our stores, our own factories, our distribution centers, we've installed 300,000 solar panels so far, and we've got 14 wind farms we own and operate in six countries, and we're not done yet. 在我们的零售店,我们自己的工厂, 还有我们的配送中心。 到目前为止,我们安装了三十万个太阳能电池板。 在六个国家,我们还自己拥有并经营十四个风力发电场。 我们的工作还没有结束。
distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销; installed:v.安装;设置;使就职(install的过去分词和过去式) panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式);
But think of a solar panel . 我们来想想太阳能电池板。
solar panel:n.太阳能电池板;
A solar panel pays for itself in seven or eight years. 使用一个太阳能电池板七八年,你就可以挣回本金。
The electricity is free. 而电是免费的。
Every time the sun comes out after that, the electricity is free. 每次太阳一出来, 电就是免费的。
So this is a good thing for the CFO, not just the sustainability guy. 所以这对我们的执行总裁来说是一件好事, 不只是专注于可持续性发展的人,
Every business can do things like this. 其实每个企业都可以这样做。
But then we've got to look beyond our operations, and I think everybody would agree that now business has to take full responsibility for the impacts of your supply chain. 然后我们要放眼我们公司运营以外的事。 我想所有人都会同意, 现在的企业需要对给自己的供应商 带来的影响负责任。
impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用;
Many businesses now, fortunately , have codes of conduct and audit their supply chains, but not every business. Far from it. 幸运的是,现在很多企业, 都制定了管理和审核其供应商的规范。 但不是每个企业都这样做了,还有很多企业做得还远远不够。
fortunately:adv.幸运地; conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法; audit:v.审计;[审计]查账;n.审计;[审计]查账;
And this came in IKEA actually in the '90s. 宜家实际上是在 90 年代开始这样做的。
We found there was a risk of child labor in the supply chain, and people in the business were shocked. 我们发现了 我们的供应商有可能在雇佣童工。 公司里的人都感到很震惊。
And it was clearly totally unacceptable , so then you have to act. 很显然这是完全不能接受的,所以必须要采取行动。
unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的;
So a code of conduct was developed, and now we have 80 auditors out in the world every day making sure all our factories secure good working conditions and protect human rights and make sure there is no child labor. 后来一个管理规范就因此出炉了。 我们现在在全世界一共有80个审核员, 在保障我们工厂里面 日常工作环境的安全和可靠, 保护工人的人权, 确保我们工厂里没有雇佣童工。
auditors:n.审计员;听者(auditor的复数);
But it's not just as simple as making sure there's no child labor. 确保没有雇佣童工 不是一件简单的事。
You've got to say that's not enough today. 应该说我们现在做得还不够。
I think we'd all agree that children are the most important people in the world and the most vulnerable . 我觉得大家都同意,儿童 是这个世界上最重要的人群, 最容易受到伤害。
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
So what can a business do today to actually use your total value chain to support a better quality of life and protect child rights? 那么我们现在的企业需要怎样做 能充分利用整个的运营体系 来给孩子们提供一个更优质的生活环境, 来保护儿童的权利呢?
We've worked with UNICEF and Save the Children on developing some new business principles with children's rights. 我们一直与儿童基金会和“拯救儿童”项目合作, 来开发新的企业准则 保护儿童权利。
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
Increasing numbers of businesses are signing up to these, but actually in a survey , many business leaders said they thought their business had nothing to do with children. 越来越多的企业 都在这些准则上签了字。 但实际上,在一项调查中许多企业的带头人 不认为他们的业务与孩子有关。
survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; had nothing to do with:与…无关;
So what we decided to do was, we will look and ask ourselves the tough questions with partners who know more than us, what can we do to go beyond our business to help improve the lives of children? 所以我们决定要做的是,和比我们更了解情况的合作伙伴 共同审视并反思 这些棘手的问题。 思考我们除了业务以外,还可以做什么 来帮助改善儿童的生活?
improve:v.改进;改善;
We also have a foundation that's committed to work through partners and help improve the lives and protect the rights of 100 million children by 2015. 我们也有一个基金会 致力于与合作伙伴携手 到2015年帮助改善 1 亿儿童的生活质量和儿童权益。
foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
You know the phrase, you can manage what you measure? 你听过这样的话吧, 你可以控制你能衡量的东西。
Well, you should measure what you care about. 是呀,我们确实衡量我们真正关心的事务。
If you're not measuring things, you don't care and you don't know. 如果你不在心里衡量这些东西, 你就不会在乎,你也就不知道(事情的发展)。
So let's take an example, measure the things that are important in your business. 所以让我们举一个例子,在心里衡量(是非曲直) 在企业运营中是很重要的。
Isn't it about time that businesses were led equally by men and women? 是不是到了企业该做到 男女同工同酬的时候了?
(Applause) (掌声)
So we know for our 17,000 managers across IKEA that 47 percent are women today, but it's not enough, and we want to close the gap and follow it all the way through to senior management . 我们知道我们宜家的一万七千名经理人 目前有47%是女性。 但这还不够,我们想缩小(男女员工)比例上的差距, 上到高级管理层,全面实现这一目标。
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
And we do not want to wait another hundred years. 我们不想再等上几百年。
So we've launched a women's open network this week in IKEA, and we'll do whatever it takes to lead the change. 所以,我们这个星期在宜家, 启动了一个女性开放网络。 我们会竭尽全力来引领这样的转变。
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
So the message here is, measure what you care about and lead the change, and don't wait a hundred years. 我在这里要传达的信息是, 衡量你真正关心的事务和引领这样的转变, 不要等上一百年。
So we've gone from sustainability being a nice-to-do to a must-do. It's a must-do. 我们已经把可持续发展 从“该做的好事”变成“必须做的事”。确实是“必须做的事”。
It's still nice to do, but it's a must-do. 这是件好事,但是它也必须要做。
And everybody can do something on this as an individual . 我们每个人作为个体都可以做些什么的,
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
Be a discerning consumer . 成为一名挑剔的消费者。
discerning:adj.敏锐的;有识别力的;v.识别;觉察出;了解;(discern的现在分词) consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者;
Vote with your wallets. 用你们的钱包投票。
Search out the companies that are acting on this. 搜索出 那些关心可持续发展的公司。
Search out:vi.寻找到;查出;
But also, there are other businesses already acting. 当然,已经有其他的企业开始了他们的行动。
I mentioned renewable energy. 我刚才提到过可再生能源。
You go to Google or Lego , they're going 100 percent renewable too, in the same way that we are. 你应该选择谷歌或者乐高 他们也在 100%地利用可再生能源。 以和我们相同的方式。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; Lego:n.乐高积木(商标名);
On having really good sustainability strategies, there are companies like Nike, Patagonia , 有些公司有很好的可持续发展战略, 像耐克、 巴塔哥尼亚、
Patagonia:n.巴塔哥尼亚(南美的一个地区);
Timberland , Marks & Spencer. 添柏岚和玛莎百货这些公司。
Timberland:n.林地;用材林地;
But I don't think any of those businesses would say they're perfect. We certainly wouldn't. 我不认为任何这些企业会说 他们很完美。我们当然不会。
We'll make mistakes going forward, but it's about setting a clear direction, being transparent , having a dialogue with the right partners, and choosing to lead on the issues that really count. 我们也会在前进中犯错误, 但重要的是要有一个明确的方向,做到透明公开, 与合适的合作伙伴互通有无, 然后在重大事务上做领头人。
transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的;
So if you're a business leader, if you're not already weaving sustainability right into the heart of your business model, 所以如果你是商业领袖, 如果你还没有在你的工作重心里 贯彻可持续性发展,
weaving:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);(weave的现在分词)
I'd urge you to do so. 我恳请你这样做。
And together, we can help create a sustainable world, and, if we get it right, we can make sustainability affordable for the many people, not a luxury for the few. 我们携手,可以帮助创建 一个可持续发展的世界, 并且,如果我们做得对, 我们可以使可持续发展 使很多人都负担得起, 而不是只为了少数的有钱人。
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)