返回首页

StephenHawking_2008-_求道_宇宙苍茫_

There is nothing bigger or older than the universe. 没什么比宇宙更广大更久远的了。
Your questions I would like to talk about are: 您们的问题中我想聊一下的是:
One, where did we come from? 您我何从?
How did the universe come into being? 宇宙何来?
Are we alone in the universe? 宇宙中就只有我们?
Is there alien life out there? 有外星异生物么?
What is the future of the human race ? 人类的未来将会如何?
human race:n.人类;
Up until the 1920s, everyone thought the universe was essentially static and unchanging in time. 上世纪20年代之前, 所有人都以为宇宙基本上是处于稳态, 流金岁月, 持恒不变.
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰); unchanging:adj.不变的;
Then it was discovered that the universe was expanding . 之后我们发现原来宇宙正在膨胀中.
expanding:v.扩大,增加,增强细谈;详述;(expand的现在分词)
Distant galaxies were moving away from us. 辽远星系一直飞离我们.
Distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; galaxies:n.银河; (galaxy的复数)
This meant they must have been closer together in the past. 这意味着它们必定曾相靠近.
If we extrapolate back, we find we must have all been on top of each other about 15 billion years ago. 我们若往后推算, 就会发现我们必都曾於约150亿年前 互相堆叠在一起.
extrapolate:vt.外推;推断;vi.外推;进行推断;
This was the Big Bang , the beginning of the universe. 正是这 霹雳大爆炸 - 宇宙之起始.
Bang:n.猛敲; v.猛敲; v.正好;
But was there anything before the Big Bang? 然而大爆炸前可有什么吗?
If not, what created the universe? 若是没有, 又是什么创造宇宙呢?
Why did the universe emerge from the Big Bang the way it did? 宇宙缘何要从大霹雳中冒出呢?
emerge:v.浮现;显现;暴露;露出真相;
We used to think that the theory of the universe could be divided into two parts. 过往我们都认为宇宙论 可分成两部分.
First, there were the laws like Maxwell's equations and general relativity that determined the evolution of the universe, given its state over all of space at one time . 首先, 是定律 像*麦克斯韦方程组* 和 *广义相对论* 以其于同一刻设定整个时空之状态, 而决定了宇宙之演化进程.
equations:n.方程式;等式;均等;均势(equation的复数形式); relativity:n.相对论;相关性;相对性; determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进; at one time:曾经,一度;同时;
And second, there was no question of the initial state of the universe. 次之,是对宇宙雏形 的疑问.
initial:adj.最初的; n.(名字的)首字母; v.用姓名的首字母作标记(或签名)于;
We have made good progress on the first part, and now have the knowledge of the laws of evolution in all but the most extreme conditions. 第一部分我们取得良好进展, 除了 *至极端境况* 以外. 现在已对 演化规律于所有境况下之进程有所掌握.
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
But until recently , we have had little idea about the initial conditions for the universe. 可直至最近, 我们仍对宇宙初生当时之 周围条件不甚了了.
recently:adv.最近;新近;
However, this division into laws of evolution and initial conditions depends on time and space being separate and distinct . 然而, 这演化律 及 初始条件 之界分 乃囿於 时.空分明 之概念内.
division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧; distinct:adj.明显的;独特的;清楚的;有区别的;
Under extreme conditions, general relativity and quantum theory allow time to behave like another dimension of space. 而於极端条件下, 广义相对论及量子论 容许“时间”如同“空间”的另一维度般运作.
quantum theory:n.量子理论; behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用; dimension:n.方面;[数]维;尺寸;次元;容积vt.标出尺寸;adj.规格的;
This removes the distinction between time and space and means the laws of evolution can also determine the initial state. 这就将 *时.空*之间区别移除了 即是说 演化律 亦可决定初始状态.
distinction:n.区别;区分;差别;卓越;
The universe can spontaneously create itself out of nothing. 宇宙可以由无变有 自我创生!
spontaneously:adv.自发地;自然地;不由自主地;
Moreover , we can calculate a probability that the universe was created in different states. 我们甚至可以计算出 宇宙在不同情况下诞生的可能性。
Moreover:adv.而且;此外; probability:n.可能性;机率;[数]或然率;
These predictions are in excellent agreement with observations by the WMAP satellite of the cosmic microwave background, which is an imprint of the very early universe. 这些推论与 WMAP卫星 所观测到的宇宙微波背景辐射 (即大爆炸之痕迹) 相当一致.
predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式); observations:n.观察,观察值;观察结果;(observation的复数形式); cosmic:adj.宇宙的; microwave:n.微波; imprint:n.印记;痕迹;特征;版本说明;vt.加特征;刻上记号;
We think we have solved the mystery of creation . 我们相信已勘破了创造奥秘
creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物;
Maybe we should patent the universe and charge everyone royalties for their existence. 或许我们应将 *宇宙* 给注册 然后向每个生存於世的人收 *生活费*.
patent:vt.授予专利; adj.专利的; n.专利权; royalties:n.版税;稿酬(royalty的复数形式);
I now turn to the second big question: 现在我转到第二个 大问题 去
Are we alone, or is there other life in the universe? 宇宙中就只有我们, 还是另有其它生物?
We believe that life arose spontaneously on the Earth, so it must be possible for life to appear on other suitable planets, of which there seem to be a large number in the galaxy . 我们相信生命从地球自我衍生, 故此生命确有可能出现於其它合适星球 - 星河中看来可有不少呢.
arose:vi.出现(arise的过去式);引发; suitable:adj.合适的;适宜的;适当的;适用的; galaxy:n.银河;[天]星系;银河系;一群显赫的人;
But we don't know how life first appeared. 但我们仍未搅通生命是如何生成:
We have two pieces of observational evidence on the probability of life appearing. 对於生命诞生的可能契机 我们有两项观测得来的佐证.
observational:adj.观测的;根据观察的; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
The first is that we have fossils of algae from 3.5 billion years ago. 首先我们有来自35亿年前 的海藻化石.
fossils:n.[古生]化石(fossil复数形式); algae:n.[植]藻类;[植]海藻;
The earth was formed 4.6 billion years ago and was probably too hot for about the first half billion years. 地球於46亿年前形成 头约5亿年相信仍太热了.
So life appeared on earth within half a billion years of it being possible, which is short compared to the ten billion-year lifetime of a planet of Earth-type. 故此生命於 其变得可能后的5亿年间方出现, 这相对於像地球之类百亿年期的星体 只算是一段短时间.
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
This suggests that a probability of life appearing is reasonably high. 这意味着生命出现的概率是颇高的.
reasonably:adv.合理地;相当地;适度地;
If it was very low, one would have expected it to take most of the ten billion years available. 若是低的话, 就可预期要花尽 百亿年的绝大部分才会出现.
On the other hand , we don't seem to have been visited by aliens. 另一方面, 我们似乎从未见有外星人到访.
On the other hand:另一方面;
I am discounting the reports of UFOs. 我不信那些什么 *不明物体* 的报导.
discounting:vt.[金融]贴现; vi.[金融]贴现;
Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos ? 它们干吗要单向那些古古怪怪的人现身呢?
cranks:n.[机]曲柄(crank的复数); weirdos:古怪的人;奇怪的人(weirdo的复数);
If there is a government conspiracy to suppress the reports and keep for itself the scientific knowledge the aliens bring, it seems to have been a singularly ineffective policy so far. 若真有一个甚麽政府阴谋要将报导打住 从而将外星人所带来之科学识据为己有, 那可真像个既离奇, 亦从未见效的举措.
conspiracy:n.阴谋;共谋;阴谋集团; suppress:vt.抑制;镇压;废止; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; singularly:adv.异常地;非常地;令人无法理解地; ineffective:adj.无效的,失效的;不起作用的;
Furthermore , despite an extensive search by the SETI project, we haven't heard any alien television quiz shows. 再说, 即便SETI计划已进行广泛探索, 我们还没有收听到任何外太空电视答问节目.
Furthermore:adv.此外;而且; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; extensive:adj.广泛的;大量的;广阔的; quiz:n.小测验;知识竞赛;v.盘问;查问;询问;
This probably indicates that there are no alien civilizations at our stage of development within a radius of a few hundred light years. 这可能昭示在我们现阶段文明发展之 方圆数百光年范围之内 并没有其它外星异文化.
indicates:v.表明指示,显示;(indicate的第三人称单数) civilizations:n.文明(civilization的复数形式); radius:n.半径,半径范围;[解剖]桡骨;辐射光线;有效航程;
Issuing an insurance policy against abduction by aliens seems a pretty safe bet . 卖保险给那些 怕被外星人绑架的人,看来是个不错的选择。
Issuing:n.发行物;争论点;期刊号;v.发行(issue的ing形式);分配;流出; insurance policy:n.保险单; abduction:n.拐走;绑架;外展;外转; bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
This brings me to the last of the big questions: 这送我到了最后一个大问题:
The future of the human race. 人类的前途.
If we are the only intelligent beings in the galaxy, we should make sure we survive and continue. 若我们是星河里唯一智能生物, 就必须确保自己能存活并延续下去.
intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
But we are entering an increasingly dangerous period of our history. 但我们正迈入历史中一个愈发危险的时段.
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地;
Our population and our use of the finite resources of planet Earth are growing exponentially , along with our technical ability to change the environment for good or ill. 我们的人囗和对地球有限资源的耗用, 正以几何级数增长, 相随的 是我们将环境或弄好或弄垮的技术才能,
finite:adj.有限的;限定的;n.有限之物; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); exponentially:adv.以指数方式; technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的;
But our genetic code still carries the selfish and aggressive instincts that were of survival advantage in the past. 至於我们的基因指令 则仍带着那自私和好斗的本质 这或有利於我们过往求存
genetic code:n.遗传密码; aggressive:adj.侵略性的;好斗的;有进取心的;有闯劲的; instincts:n.本能;天性;直觉;(instinct的复数) survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand or million. 却又让我们於往后数百年内 人祸难逃. 更别说未来千百万年了.
disaster:n.灾难,灾祸;不幸; let alone:更不必说;听任;不打扰;
Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space. 我们长活下去的唯一机会 不是一直呆着在地球 而是冲出太空去.
long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看; lurking:v.潜伏;潜藏;(lurk的现在分词) spread out:冒火;喷火;
The answers to these big questions show that we have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. 这些大问题之解答 显示我们于过去数百年取得可观进展.
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
But if we want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in space. 可若要超越未来数百年, 我们的前途在於太空.
That is why I am in favor of manned -- or should I say, personed space flight. 正因此,我较倾向于 人 控 - ( man 於英语中可单指*人*或*男人*) 或许我应说, 由人驾驶之太空旅航.
All of my life I have sought to understand the universe and find answers to these questions. 我一生都在探究想要了解宇宙 并找出这些问题之答案.
sought:v.seek(寻求、寻找)的过去式和过去分词形式;
I have been very lucky that my disability has not been a serious handicap; indeed, it has probably given me more time than most people to pursue the quest for knowledge. 我一直都非常幸运 我的残疾并没造成严重障礙; 说真的, 这反倒让我比大部分人获得更多时间 以从事知识之追求.
disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件; pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; quest:n.追求;寻找;vi.追求;寻找;vt.探索;
The ultimate goal is a complete theory of the universe, and we are making good progress. 终极目标是一套完备的宇宙论, 而我们已有良好进展.
ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则;
Thank you for listening. 感谢您们的聆听.
Chris Anderson: Professor, if you had to guess either way, do you now believe that it is more likely than not that we are alone in the Milky Way , as a civilization of our level of intelligence or higher? 安德信: 教授, 若您必须二选其一作猜测, 此刻您是较相信还是较不相信 我们是天河中唯一 现水平或更高水平之智能文化?
Milky Way:na.[天]银河; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报;
This answer took seven minutes, and really gave me an insight into the incredible act of generosity this whole talk was for TED. 准备这答案已花了7分多钟, 真让我深切体会到 这整个演讲为TED所付出之 让人难以置信之慷慨.
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉; incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; generosity:n.慷慨,大方;宽宏大量;
Stephen Hawking : I think it quite likely that we are the only civilization within several hundred light years; otherwise we would have heard radio waves. 霍金: 我想我们应该是 数百光年范围内之独一文明; 否则我们应已收听到电波.
Hawking:n.利用鹰行猎;v.袭击;翱翔;攫取(hawk的现在分词);
The alternative is that civilizations don't last very long, but destroy themselves. 另一种可能是, 该等文明都维持不久, 就自我毁灭掉.
alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
CA: Professor Hawking, thank you for that answer. 安德信: 霍金教授, 谢谢您的解答.
We will take it as a salutary warning, I think, for the rest of our conference this week. 我想, 我们会将之作为 这一周余下会谈之座右铭.
salutary:adj.有益的,有用的;有益健康的; conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
Professor, we really thank you for the extraordinary effort you made to share your questions with us today. 教授, 我们衷心感谢您今天为与我们分享您的问题 所作出之卓越贡献.
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
Thank you very much indeed. 真的非常感谢您.
(Applause) (掌声)