返回首页

StephanieBusari_2017S-_假新闻造成的真实伤害_

I want to tell you a story about a girl. 我想和你们分享一个女孩的故事,
But I can't tell you her real name. 但我不能说出她的真名,
So let's just call her Hadiza. 所以我们暂且称她为哈狄札。
Hadiza is 20. 她今年 20 岁,
She's shy, but she has a beautiful smile that lights up her face. 她很害羞, 她的笑容看起来很美丽,
But she's in constant pain. 但她却身在痛苦中,
And she will likely be on medication for the rest of her life. 而且她可能终生都需要药物治疗。
medication:n.药;药物;
Do you want to know why? 你知道为什么吗?
Hadiza is a Chibok girl, and on April 14, 2014, she was kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists. 哈狄札来自奇博克, 2014 年 4 月 14 日, 她被博科圣地恐怖分子绑架。
Boko:n.鼻子; Haram:n.女眷;闺房;
She managed to escape, though, by jumping off the truck that was carrying the girls. 她试图要逃跑, 她从载满女孩的卡车上跳下,
But when she landed,she broke both her legs, and she had to crawl on her tummy to hide in the bushes . 但在着地时摔断了双腿, 她得爬进草丛里躲起来。
crawl:v.爬;匍匐行进;(昆虫)爬行;缓慢行进;n.爬泳;缓慢的速度;自由泳; tummy:肚子,胃 bushes:n.灌木;荒野;林区;(bush的复数)
She told me she was terrified that Boko Haram would come back for her. 她非常害怕恐怖份子会再度找上她,
She was one of 57 girls who would escape by jumping off trucks that day. 那天共有 57 个女孩逃出卡车。
This story, quite rightly , caused ripples around the world. 这个事件很快的, 引起全球的关注。
rightly:adv.正确地;恰当地;公正地;合适地; ripples:n.涟漪;波纹(ripple的复数);v.呈波状(ripple的单三形式);
People like Michelle Obama,Malala and others lent their voices in protest , and at about the same time —I was living in London at the time — 蜜雪儿欧巴马、马拉拉以及其他名人, 都站出来发声。 当时我正住在伦敦,
protest:n.抗议;抗议书(或行动);反对;v.(公开)反对;抗议;申辩;
I was sent from London to Abuja to cover the World Economic Forum that Nigeria was hosting for the first time. 我被派到阿布加参与 奈及利亚首次主办的 世界经济论坛会议。
Economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; Forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场; hosting:v.主办,主持;主持;做东;(host的现在分词)
But when we arrived, it was clear that there was only one story in town. 当时绑架案在当地受到很大的关注,
We put the government under pressure. 我们向当地政府施压。
We asked tough questions about what they were doing to bring these girls back. 并询问他们,解救人质的进展。
Understandably , they weren't too happy with our line of questioning, and let's just say we received our fair share of " alternative facts." 可以理解的是, 他们不喜欢被质问, 所以我们只得到一些 「小道的事实消息」,
Understandably:adv.可理解地; alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Influential Nigerians were telling us at the time that we were na?ve, we didn't understand the political situation in Nigeria. 具有影响力的当地人告诉我们, 我们太天真了。 我们不了解奈及利亚的政治情势,
Influential:adj.有影响的;有势力的;n.有影响力的人物;
But they also told us that the story of the Chibok girls was a hoax. 但他们也告诉我们。 奇博克女孩绑架案, 是假的,
Sadly, this hoax narrative has persisted , and there are still people in Nigeria today who believe that the Chibok girls were never kidnapped. 难过的是,这些假谣言仍被流传着。 直到现在,仍有当地人, 深信奇博克女孩绑架案从未发生过,
narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; persisted:v.持续(persist的过去分词);坚持不懈;
Yet I was talking to people like these — devastated parents,who told us that on the day 但我采访过那些受害者, 我采访过那些绝望的父母,
devastated:adj.不安的,混乱的,震惊的; v.彻底破坏; (devastate的过去分词和过去式)
Boko Haram kidnapped their daughters, they ran into the Sambisa Forest after the trucks carrying their daughters. 他们诉说着女儿被绑架的那天, 他们追着卡车跑进山姆毕沙丛林里,
They were armed with machetes , but they were forced to turn back because Boko Haram had guns. 他们带着弯刀冲进丛林里, 但却被迫回头, 因为恐怖分子持有枪。
machetes:n.弯刀;大砍刀;马谢特琴; turn back:往回走;阻挡;翻回到;
For two years, inevitably , the news agenda moved on, and for two years, we didn't hear much about the Chibok girls. 这两年来,此新闻受到的 关注越来越少, 过去两年来, 我们没有听到太多 关于奇博克女孩的消息,
inevitably:adv.不可避免地;必然地;
Everyone presumed they were dead. 大家都认为她们死了。
presumed:adj.假定的;推测的;v.假定(presume的过去分词和过去式);
But in April last year, 但去年四月,
I was able to obtain this video. 我拿到一部影片,
obtain:vi.获得;流行;vt.获得;
This is a still from the video that Boko Haram filmed as a proof of life, and through a source , 这是擷自影片的画面, 恐怖分子以此证明女孩们还活着, 我透过关系取得这部影片,
proof:n.证据;证实;adj.能抵御;可防护; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
I obtained this video. 但在我发布影片前。
obtained:v.获得(obtain的过去分词);
But before I could publish it,I had to travel to the northeast of Nigeria to talk to the parents, to verify it. 我必须到奈及利亚的东北部, 向受害者家长确认影片真实性,
publish:v.出版;发表;公布; northeast:adj.东北的;来自东北的;n.东北;adv.向东北;来自东北; verify:vt.核实;查证;
I didn't have to wait too long for confirmation. 我很快就得到了答案。
One of the mothers, when she watched the video, told me that if she could have reached into the laptop and pulled our her child from the laptop, she would have done so. 其中有一个母亲 在看过影片后跟我说, 如果她能把手伸进萤幕里, 并把她的女儿拉出来, 她真的很想这么做。
laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;
For those of you who are parents, like myself, in the audience, you can only imagine the anguish that that mother felt. 各位,如果你们跟我一样, 已经为人父母的话, 你大概能想像那位母亲,所承受的极大痛苦,
anguish:n.痛苦;苦恼;v.使极度痛苦;感到极度的痛苦;
This video would go on to kick-start negotiation talks with Boko Haram. 这部影片是与博科圣地谈判的开端,
kick-start:vt.以下踢或下压动作来使机器发动; n.(比喻)(促进事务开始或重新开始的)强劲推动力; negotiation:n.谈判;转让;顺利的通过;
And a Nigerian senator told me that because of this video they entered into those talks, because they had long presumed that the Chibok girls were dead. 奈及利亚的议员跟我说, 因为这部影片, 他们现在才采取行动。 因为他们之前认为女孩们早已死亡,
senator:n.参议员;
Twenty-one girls were freed in October last year. 去年十月,21 位女孩被释放了,
Sadly, nearly 200 of them still remain missing. 不幸的是,大概还有 200 位失踪的女孩,
I must confess that I have not been a dispassionate observer covering this story. 我得承认我没有站在客观的角度 报导此事件,
confess:v.承认;坦白;忏悔;供认; dispassionate:adj.不带感情的;平心静气的;公平的; observer:n.观察员;观察者;观察家;观测者;
I am furious when I think about the wasted opportunities to rescue these girls. 每当想起有许多机会都被浪费掉时, 我就非常地气愤。
furious:adj.激烈的;狂怒的;热烈兴奋的;喧闹的; rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救;
I am furious when I think about what the parents have told me, that if these were daughters of the rich and the powerful, they would have been found much earlier. 每当想起那些父母说, 如果他们是有钱有势的人, 那些女孩们早就被解救时,我就很气愤。
And I am furious that the hoax narrative, 我也对假新闻
I firmly believe,caused a delay; it was part of the reason for the delay in their return. 感到愤怒。 我深信着 那是拖延救援的原因。
This illustrates to me the deadly danger of fake news. 害那些女孩无法提早被救出来,这让我了解到假新闻
illustrates:v.阐明;举例说明(illustrate的三单形式);给…加插图; deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地; fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
So what can we do about it? 所造成的真实伤害,我们能做什么?
There are some very smart people, smart engineers at Google and Facebook, who are trying to use technology to stop the spread of fake news. 在谷歌及脸书有一群, 非常聪明的工程师们, 试图用新科技防止假新闻的散布。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
But beyond that, I think everybody here — you and I — we have a role to play in that. 但除此之外,我想每一个人, 包含你和我,都要参与其中,
We are the ones who share the content . 我们会分享新闻,
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
We are the ones who share the stories online. 我们会在网路上分享故事,
In this day and age, we're all publishers , and we have responsibility. 在这个时代,我们就是出版者, 所以我们应要承担责任。
publishers:n.出版商,出版公司;出版社(publisher的复数);
In my job as a journalist , 身为一位记者,
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
I check, I verify. 我会檢查、确认。
I trust my gut , but I ask tough questions. 我相信我的直觉,但我也会质问,
gut:n.勇气;肠道;内脏;v.损毁内部;取出…的内脏;adj.非理性的;本能的
Why is this person telling me this story? 为什么这个人要告诉我这个故事?
What do they have to gain by sharing this information? 他们能从分享此资讯中获得什么?
Do they have a hidden agenda ? 他们是不是有别的意图?
hidden agenda:n.(言语或行为背后的)隐秘意图;
I really believe that we must all start to ask tougher questions of information that we discover online. 我相信我们应该要开始质问 我们在网路上发现的资讯,
Research shows that some of us don't even read beyond headlines before we share stories. 有研究指出,有些人只看到标题, 就分享资讯。
Who here has done that? 在座有人这么做过吗?
I know I have. 我就曾经做过,
But what if we stopped taking information that we discover at face value ? 但如果 我们能停止转发未经证实的消息,
what if:如果…怎么办? at face value:根据外表,从表面上看;
What if we stop to think about the consequence of the information that we pass on and its potential to incite violence or hatred ? 如果我们能仔细思考, 我们所转发的讯息, 可能会引发暴力或仇恨, 如果我们能在分享讯息前仔细思考,
consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; incite:vt.煽动;激励;刺激; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶;
What if we stop to think about the real-life consequences of the information that we share? 此举会对真实世界造成什么样影响?
real-life:adj.现实的;实在的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
Thank you very much for listening. 感谢各位的聆听。
(Applause) (掌声)