|
|
StanleyMcChrystal_2011-_聆听,学习_才能领导_
|
10 years ago, on a Tuesday morning, |
十年前,周二的早上 |
I conducted a parachute jump at Fort Bragg, North Carolina . |
我在北卡罗纳州的Fort Bragg讲述跳伞 |
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) parachute:n.降落伞;vi.跳伞;空投; Fort:n.堡垒;要塞;(美)边界贸易站;v.设要塞保卫;构筑要塞; Carolina:n.卡罗莱纳州(在美国东南部);
|
It was a routine training jump like many more I'd done since I became a paratrooper 27 years before. |
这是一次例行的跳伞练习 像我以往做过的很多的培训一样 自从我成为专业的跳伞者后 27年之前 |
paratrooper:n.伞兵;
|
We went down to the airfield early because this is the Army and you always go early. |
我们很早就来到飞机场 因为在军队 你需要很早出行 |
airfield:n.飞机场;
|
You do some routine refresher training, and then you go to put on your parachute and a buddy helps you. |
你做了一些例行的恢复训练 接着你背上你的跳伞包 ,一个伙伴会帮你 |
refresher:n.可提神的人或物;补习课程;清凉饮料;增加报酬;adj.专业性复习进修的; buddy:n.伙伴,好朋友;密友;小男孩;v.做好朋友,交朋友;
|
And you put on the T10 parachute. |
你背上T10的跳伞包 |
And you're very careful how you put the straps , particularly the leg straps because they go between your legs. |
你要很小心绑上安全皮带 尤其是腿的皮带 因为你需要绑在你两腿之间 |
straps:n.[机]皮带(strap的复数); v.用带捆扎; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; go between:n.媒人;中间人;媒介者;
|
And then you put on your reserve , and then you put on your heavy rucksack . |
接着穿上你的后备装置,接着背上你很重的帆布包 |
reserve:n.储备,储存; vt.储备; vi.预订; rucksack:n.帆布背包;
|
And then a jumpmaster comes, and he's an experienced NCO in parachute operations. |
接着跳伞专家也来了 他是在跳伞操作方面很有经验的NCO |
He checks you out, he grabs your adjusting straps, and he tightens everything so that your chest is crushed , your shoulders are crushed down, and, of course, he's tightened so your voice goes up a couple octaves as well. |
他来跟你做检查,他拿着你调整安全皮带 接着他绑紧所有东西 所以你的胸部有些挤压感 你肩膀也被压住 当然,因为他绑得很紧 所以你的声音会提高几个八度 |
grabs:n.链钩(grab的复数);v.抓取;捕获(grab的第三人称单数); adjusting:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯;(adjust的现在分词) tightens:vt.变紧;使变紧;vi.绷紧;变紧; crushed:v.压坏;压伤;挤压变形;(crush的过去分词和过去式) tightened:v.(使)变紧,更加牢固;使更加严格;加强(tighten的过去分词和过去式) octaves:n.八度(octave的复数);
|
Then you sit down, and you wait a little while, because this is the Army. |
接着你坐下来,等一段时间 因为这是军队里 |
Then you load the a ircraf t , and then you stand up an d you get on, and you kind of lumber to the a ircraf t like this -- in a line of people -- and you sit down on canvas seats on either side of the a ircraf t. |
接着要把你装到飞机里, 你站起来上飞机 你在飞机中好像木头一样,人们排成了一列 你坐在分列在飞机两旁的帆布座位上 |
|
And you wait a little bit longer, because this is the Air Force teaching the Army how to wait. |
你要等候较长一段时间 因为空军会告诉军队如何去等待 |
Air Force:n.空军;
|
Then you take off. |
接着你就起飞了 |
And it's painful enough now -- and I think it's designed this way -- it's painful enough so you want to jump. |
这已经足够痛苦了 我想就是这样设计的 这非常痛苦 你很想跳下去 |
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
|
You don't really want to jump, but you want out. |
你不是真的想跳下去 你只是想离开 |
So you get in the aircraft, you're flying along, and at 20 minutes out, these jumpmasters start giving you commands. |
所以当你进入到飞机 你需要一直飞行 接着20分钟过后 这些跳伞专家就会给你命令 |
They give 20 minutes -- that's a time warning. |
他们给你20分钟——这是时间的提醒 |
You sit there, okay. |
你做在那里, 好的 |
Then they give you 10 minutes. |
接着他们给你10分钟的提醒 |
And of course, you're responding with all of these. |
当然, 你要对这些做出回答 |
responding:v.响应;作出反应;反应灵敏;(respond的现在分词)
|
And that's to boost everybody's confidence , to show that you're not scared. |
这是为了建立每一个人的信心,告诉你不要害怕 |
boost:n.提高;增长;帮助;激励;v.使增长;使兴旺;偷窃; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
|
Then they give you, "get ready." |
他们给你提示,“准备好了。” |
Then they go, " Outboard personnel , stand up." |
接着他们说,“外舱的人员,请站起来。” |
Outboard:adj.外侧的,靠近外侧的:adv.向船外: personnel:n.人事部门;全体人员;adj.人员的;有关人事的;
|
If you're an outboard personnel, now you stand up. |
如果你是外舱的人员,你就要站起来。 |
If you're an inboard personnel, stand up. |
如果你是内舱的人员,站起来。 |
inboard:adj.内侧的;舷内的;adv.在船内;向内;
|
And then you hook up, and you hook up your static line. |
你要用钩挂住,你钩在固定的拉线上。 |
hook:n.钩;挂钩;鱼钩;钓钩;v.挂住;箍住;钓(鱼);打曲线球; static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰);
|
And at that point, you think, "Hey, guess what? |
在那一刻,你想:“接下来会发生什么事情了?” |
I'm probably going to jump. |
我很可能准备跳下去。 |
There's no way to get out of this at this point." |
但在这一刻你绝对不能这样就跳出去。“ |
You go through some additional checks, and then they open the door. |
你需要做额外的一些检查,接着他们打开舱门。 |
additional:adj.附加的,额外的;
|
And this was that Tuesday morning in September, and it was pretty nice outside. |
这就是九月里那个周二的早上 外面都非常好 |
So nice air comes flowing in. |
新鲜的空气吹进来 |
The jumpmasters start to check the door. |
跳伞专家开始检查舱门 |
And then when it's time to go, a green light goes and the jumpmaster goes, "Go." |
到了起跳的时候 会出现一道绿光 接着跳伞专家会喊,”开始。“ |
The first guy goes, and you're just in line, and you just kind of lumber to the door. |
第一个人跳下去了,你只需排着队。 你就像木头一样靠在门边 |
Jump is a misnomer; you fall. |
跳是一个不恰当的名字,确实来说你是掉下去 |
You fall outside the door, you're caught in the slipstream . |
你从舱门掉下去 你被气流接住 |
slipstream:n.气流;冲流;
|
The first thing you do is lock into a tight body position -- head down in your chest, your arms extended , put over your reserve parachute. |
你第一个件事是锁定一个固定的身体姿势 你的胸部朝下,你的手臂展开 放在你预先准备的伞包 |
extended:adj.延长了的;扩展了的;v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;(extend的过去式和过去分词)
|
You do that because, 27 years before, an airborne sergeant had taught me to do that. |
你做这样的事,是因为在27年前 一个空军警官让我这样做 |
airborne:adj.[航]空运的;空气传播的;风媒的; sergeant:n.军士;警察小队长;海军陆战队中士;高等律师;
|
I have no idea whether it makes any difference, but he seemed to make sense , and I wasn't going to test the hypothesis that he'd be wrong. |
我并不知道这样是否会产生什么不同 但他却使得这个很有道理 我并不想做实验去证明他的假设是错的 |
I have no idea:我没有头绪…; make sense:有意义;讲得通;言之有理; hypothesis:n.假设;
|
And then you wait for the opening shock for your parachute to open. |
接着你等待着开伞那一刻 那强劲的冲击 |
If you don't get an opening shock, you don't get a parachute -- you've got a whole new problem set. |
如果你没有碰到这个冲击力,你可能没有带降落伞 或者你遇上了一连串新的问题 |
But typically you do; typically it opens. |
但通常伞都会正常打开 |
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地;
|
And of course, if your leg straps aren't set right, at that point you get another little thrill . |
当然,如果你的腿的皮带扣得不对 此时你又会又是一阵紧张 |
thrill:n.兴奋感;兴奋;激动;v.使非常兴奋;使非常激动;
|
Boom . |
很大一声 |
Boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的;
|
So then you look around, your under canopy and saying, "This is good." |
接着你四处去看 你所属的长官会说:“这不错。” |
canopy:n.天篷;华盖;遮篷;苍穹;vt.用天蓬遮盖;遮盖;
|
Now you prepare for the inevitable . |
现在 你要为不可避免的事情做准备 |
inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
|
You are going to hit the ground. |
你现在准备撞到地上 |
You can't delay that much. |
你不能耽误太多 |
And you really can't decide where you hit very much, because they pretend you can steer , but you're being delivered. |
实际上你不能决定哪里你撞得最厉害 因为他们假想你可以驾控 但事实上你是被送到地上的 |
steer:v.引导;控制;操纵;驾驶(船、汽车等);n.建议;劝告;忠告;阉公牛;
|
So you look around, where you're going to land, you try to make yourself ready. |
你四处去看,哪里是你着陆的地方 你希望你自己能做好准备 |
And then as you get close, you lower your rucksack below you on a lowering line, so it's not on you when you land, and you prepare to do a parachute landing fall. |
但当你越接近的时候,在下降的过程中你把你的背包置于你之下 所以当你着陆时 它并不在身上 你需要准备打开降落伞然后降落 |
Now the Army teaches you to do five points of performance -- the toes of your feet, your calves , your thighs , your buttocks and your push-up muscles . |
接着部队会教你 五个部位的动作 你的脚趾头 你的小腿,你的大腿 你的屁股和你的支撑肌肉 |
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数) calves:n.小牛; v.生小牛; thighs:n.大腿;股;食用的鸡(等的)大腿;(thigh的复数) buttocks:n.臀部; v.用过背摔摔出对手(buttock的第三人称单数); push-up:n.俯卧撑;模面挤凹; muscles:n.肌肉(muscle的复数);
|
It's this elegant little land, twist and roll. |
这是一个优雅轻微的着陆,连翻代转 |
elegant:adj.高雅的,优雅的;讲究的;简炼的;简洁的; twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓;
|
And that's not going to hurt. |
者将不会造成伤害 |
In 30-some years of jumping, I never did one. |
但在30年的跳伞经历中,我并没有成功作过 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I always landed like a watermelon out of a third floor window. |
我总是像在3楼扔下的西瓜一样降落 |
watermelon:西瓜
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And as soon as I hit, the first thing I did is I'd see if I'd broken anything that I needed. |
只要我着地 第一件事我会做的是看看我是否打烂了我的必需品 |
as soon as:一…就;
|
I'd shake my head, and I'd ask myself the eternal question: "Why didn't I go into banking?" |
我会晃脑袋 问自己一个恒久的问题: “为什么我没有进入到银行业?” |
eternal:adj.永恒的;不朽的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I'd look around, and then I'd see another paratrooper, a young guy or girl, and they'd have pulled out their M-4 carbine and they'd be picking up their equipment. |
我爱四处去看 我喜欢看其他跳伞人员 年轻男女 他们需要拿出他们M-4的卡宾枪 接着他们需要拿走他们的设备 |
carbine:n.卡宾枪;
|
They'd be doing everything that we had taught them. |
他们需要做所有的事情 我们教授他们的 |
And I realized that, if they had to go into combat , they would do what we had taught them and they would follow leaders. |
我意识到 如果他们需要战斗 他们会作我们所有教他们的 他们会服从领导的安排 |
combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
|
And I realized that, if they came out of combat, it would be because we led them well. |
我发现到,如果他们结束战争之后, 会是怎样,因为我们领导得很好 |
And I was hooked again on the importance of what I did. |
我再次被我做的事情的重要性迷住了 |
hooked:adj.弯曲的; v.(使)钩住,挂住; (hook的过去分词和过去式)
|
So now I do that Tuesday morning jump, but it's not any jump -- that was September 11th 2001. |
所以在周二早上我跳的那一次 但这不是任何一次跳伞—— 是在2001年九月11日 |
And when we took off from the airfield, America was at peace. |
当我们从机场起飞,美国当时还一片平静 |
When we landed on the drop-zone, everything had changed. |
当我在预定着陆区域着陆,所有东西都改变了 |
And what we thought about the possibility of those young soldiers going into combat as being theoretical was now very, very real -- and leadership seemed important. |
我们所想到的是 很多年轻士兵进入到战争的可能性 从理论上说 这是非常非常真实的 领导力显得很重要 |
theoretical:adj.理论的;理论上的;假设的;推理的;
|
But things had changed -- |
但是很多东西改变了 |
I was a 46 year-old brigadier general . |
我是46岁准将 |
brigadier general:准将;
|
I'd been successful, but things changed so much that I was going to have to make some significant changes -- and on that morning, I didn't know it. |
我曾经取得成功 但很多事情已经改变 我需要做出一些显著的改变 在那一个早上,我并不知道 |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
|
I was raised with traditional stories of leadership: |
我在很多传统的关于领导力的故事所熏陶下成长 |
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
|
Robert E. Lee, John Buford at Gettysburg . |
Robert E.Lee, John Buford在葛斯底堡 |
Gettysburg:n.葛底斯堡(美国一城市名);
|
And I also was raised with personal examples of leadership. |
我同样受到了 一些关于个人领导力的例子的熏陶 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
This was my father in Vietnam. |
这是我的父亲在越南 |
And I was raised to believe that soldiers were strong and wise and brave and faithful -- they didn't lie, cheat, steal or abandon their comrades. |
我从小的培养就相信 士兵是强壮和智慧的 是勇敢和忠诚的 他们不会说谎,欺骗和偷盗 或者被战友所遗弃 |
faithful:n.信徒;adj.忠于;忠实的;正确的;忠贞的; abandon:n.狂热;放任;v.遗弃;放弃;
|
And I still believe real leaders are like that. |
而我一直相信领导者就是这样的 |
But in my first 25 years of career , |
但在我职业生涯头25个年头中 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
I had a bunch of different experiences. |
我获得了很多不同的经历 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
|
One of my first battalion commanders , |
我第一个战事中的一个指挥官 |
battalion:n.营,军营;军队,部队; commanders:n.指挥官(commander的复数);
|
I worked in his battalion for 18 months and the only conversation he ever had with Lt. McChrystal was at mile 18 of a 25-mile road march, and he chewed my ass for about 40 seconds. |
我在他的营部工作了18个月 他唯一和McChrystal中将的谈话 是在25英里的行军中走到18英里的时候 他严厉斥责我大约40秒 |
And I'm not sure that was real interaction . |
我不肯定这是否一个真正意义上的互动 |
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
|
But then a couple of years later, when I was a company commander, |
但几年过去以后,当我是一个连队的指挥官时 |
I went out to the national training center. |
我去了全国训练中心 |
And we did an operation, and my company did a dawn attack -- you know, the classic dawn attack: you prepare all night, move to the line of departure . |
我们布置了一个行动 我的连队做了一个黎明攻击 你知道,经典的黎明攻击 你需要整晚准备,来到了出发的地方 |
dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟; classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的; departure:n.离开;出发;违背;
|
And I had an armored organization at that point. |
当时我拥有一个有装甲的团队 |
armored:adj.装甲的; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
|
We move forward, and we get wiped out -- |
我们按计划行动, 我们被全歼了 |
I mean, wiped out immediately. |
我是说立刻被全歼了 |
The enemy didn't break a sweat doing it. |
敌人没花摧毁之力 |
And after the battle, they bring this mobile theater and they do what they call an "after action review" |
在那次行动之后, 他们带来了移动的电影院 做了“行动后的回顾” |
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
|
to teach you what you've done wrong. |
教你那些地方做错了 |
Sort of leadership by humiliation . |
所谓的屈辱教育 |
humiliation:n.丢脸,耻辱;蒙羞;谦卑;
|
They put a big screen up, and they take you through everything. |
他们带来一个大屏幕,让你重温一切 |
big screen:n.大银幕;电影;
|
'" ... And then you didn't do this, and you didn't do this, etc." |
“...你没有做这个,你也没有做这个,等等。” |
I walked out feeling as low as a snake's belly in a wagon rut . |
我走出来后感觉 自己非常愚蠢 |
belly:n.腹部;胃;食欲;v.涨满;鼓起; wagon:n.(铁路)货车车厢; v.用运货马车[货车,手推车等]运送; rut:n.车辙;刻板乏味的生活;发情期;v.发情;挖槽
|
And I saw my battalion commander, because I had let him down. |
而我看到我这个营部的指挥员,因为我让他失望了 |
And I went up to apologize to him, and he said, "Stanley, I thought you did great." |
我走上去跟他道歉 他说: Stanley,我觉得你做得很好。” |
And in one sentence, he lifted me, put me back on my feet, and taught me that leaders can let you fail and yet not let you be a failure. |
这一句话, 他的支持让我重新振作 教会好领导者会让你尝试失败 但不会让你变成败者。 |
When 9/11 came, 46 year-old Brig. Gen. McChrystal sees a whole new world. |
当911来临的时候, 46岁的Brig.Gen.McChrystal看到一个全新的世界。 |
First, the things that are obvious , that you're familiar with: the environment changed -- the speed, the scrutiny , the sensitivity of everything now is so fast, sometimes it evolves faster than people have time to really reflect on it. |
首先,这些是很明显的,你熟悉的: 环境改变了-- 速度,审议 对所有事物的感触都很快 有时变化得更加快 没有时间给人们作出反应 |
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; scrutiny:n.详细审查;监视;细看;选票复查; sensitivity:n.敏感;敏感性;过敏; evolves:v.进化,进展(evolve的第三人称单数形式); reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑;
|
But everything we do is in a different context . |
但所有我们做的事情 都是在不同的情况下 |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
|
More importantly, the force that I led was spread over more than 20 countries. |
更加重要的是,我领导的军队 已经遍布了20多个国家 |
spread over:传遍,延续;遍布于…;
|
And instead of being able to get all the key leaders for a decision together in a single room and look them in the eye and build their confidence and get trust from them, |
代替将所有的主要领导人 为了一个决定集中在一个房间里面 直视他们,建立他们信心, 从他们那里得到信任, |
I'm now leading a force that's dispersed , and I've got to use other techniques . |
现在我领带一支分散的军队 我需要使用其他技术。 |
dispersed:adj.散布的;被分散的;被驱散的;v.分散;传播(disperse的过去分词); techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
I've got to use video teleconferences , I've got to use chat, |
我需要用视频会议,我需要使用聊天工具, |
teleconferences:电话会议;[通信]远程会议;
|
I've got to use email, I've got to use phone calls -- |
我需要用电邮,我需要用电话—— |
I've got to use everything I can, not just for communication, but for leadership. |
我要用上所有我能用上的东西 但这不仅仅是为了交流沟通 这是为了领导。 |
A 22 year-old individual operating alone thousands of miles from me has got to communicate to me with confidence. |
一个22岁的人 一个人独立行动 他离我数千里远 需要有信心与我交流。 |
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
|
I have to have trust in them and vice versa . |
我需要相信他们,反之亦然 |
vice versa:反之亦然;
|
And I also have to build their faith. |
我需要建立他们的信心 |
And that's a new kind of leadership for me. |
这是新型的领导能力 对于我来说 |
We had one operation where we had to coordinate it from multiple locations . |
我们需要有一个运作系统 我需要把多个地方联系起来 |
coordinate:n.坐标; v.协调; adj.同等的; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
|
An emerging opportunity came -- didn't have time to get everybody together. |
一个紧急机会来了—— 没有时间让所有人集中在一起 |
emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词)
|
So we had to get complex intelligence together, we had to line up the ability to act. |
但我们需要集中智慧 我们必须合力去采取行动。 |
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报;
|
It was sensitive , we had to go up the chain of command, convince them that this was the right thing to do, and do all of this on electronic medium . |
这是很敏感的,我们必须一路向上汇报 说服他们这是我们应该做的事情 完成这些东西 在电子的媒介上 |
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人; convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说; electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的; medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
|
We failed. |
我们失败了。 |
The mission didn't work. |
这个任务没有能完成。 |
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
|
And so now what we had to do, is I had to reach out to try to rebuild the trust of that force, rebuild their confidence -- me and them and them and me and our seniors and us as a force -- all without the ability to put a hand on a shoulder. |
所以我们现在需要做的 我必须达到 能重建(我带领的)军队的信任 重建他们的信心 我跟他们和他们跟我 还有我们的上级和作为整个军队的我们 所有的事情都不能单靠个人的力量 |
seniors:n.年长者,老年人;资历较深的人(senior的复数形式);
|
Entirely new requirement. |
全新的要求 |
Also, the people had changed. |
当然人们也改变了 |
You probably think that the force that I led was all steely-eyed commandos with big knuckle fists carrying exotic weapons. |
你可能会想我带领的军队 他们都是由钢铁般的眼神和巨大指节拳头的突击队员 他们都带着奇异的武器 |
commandos:n.突击队;盟军敢死队;二战特种兵(commando的复数); knuckle:n.指节;指关节;(猪等动物的)肘,蹄;v.用指关节打(压,碰,擦); exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的;
|
In reality, much of the force I led looked exactly like you. |
事实上 大部分我带领的军队 看来都跟你们一样 |
It was men, women, young, old -- not just from military; from different organizations , many of them detailed to us just from a handshake . |
他们是男人,女人,年轻,年老的—— 并不是只来自于狭义上的军队,而是来自不同的组织 他们很多人的信息都是来自一次握手的相遇 |
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; handshake:n.握手;
|
And so instead of giving orders, you're now building consensus and you're building a sense of shared purpose. |
不同于以往给出命令, 你现在需要建立一致性 你要建立一种以分享为目的的意识 |
consensus:n.一致;舆论;合意;
|
Probably the biggest change was understanding that the generational difference, the ages, had changed so much. |
或者说最大的改变 那是对于不同年代不同观念的理解 时代改变了太多 |
generational:adj.一代的;生育的;
|
I went down to be with a Ranger platoon on an operation in Afghanistan , and on that operation, a sergeant in the platoon had lost about half his arm throwing a Taliban hand grenade back at the enemy after it had landed in his fire team. |
我下去跟突击部队的一个排 参与了在阿富汗的一个行动 在那一次行动中 在这个排中一个警官 损失了半个手臂 他把塔利班扔到攻击部队里的 一个手榴弹 扔回了敌人阵营 |
Ranger:n.园林管理员;护林人;女童子军;突击队员; platoon:n.排,团;一组; Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); Taliban:塔利班; hand grenade:n.手榴弹;
|
We talked about the operation, and then at the end I did what I often do with a force like that. |
我们讲述了这次行动 在最后我做了以往我跟军队做的事,就好像这样, |
I asked, "Where were you on 9/11?" |
我说,“在911的时候你们在哪里?” |
And one young Ranger in the back -- his hair tussled and his face red and windblown from being in combat in the cold Afghan wind -- he said, "Sir, I was in the sixth grade." |
一个年轻的军士在后面 他的头发打卷脸色通红 那都是在阿富汗战斗中让寒风吹的 他说 长官,我在读六年级. |
tussled:vi.打斗;扭打;剧烈的斗争;n.争斗,扭打; windblown:adj.被风吹的;风飘型的;剪短而前梳的;
|
And it reminded me that we're operating a force that must have shared purpose and shared consciousness , and yet he has different experiences, in many cases a different vocabulary, a completely different skill set in terms of digital media than I do and many of the other senior leaders. |
这提醒我 我们需要这样运行一支军队 他们必须分享目的 分享意识 然而他有不同的经验 在很多例子中 这是不同的词汇 完全不同的一套技能 用数码的媒体 取代了我和其他高级领导者的做法 |
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉; digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
And yet, we need to have that shared sense. |
我们现在需要一个有共享的意识 |
It also produced something which I call an inversion of expertise , because we had so many changes at the lower levels in technology and tactics and whatnot , that suddenly the things that we grew up doing wasn't what the force was doing anymore. |
它能制造一些东西 我叫做倒置的专业技术 因为我们在较低层次作了很多的改变 在技术、战术诸如此类的东西 突然之间我们在成长过程 中学会要做的事情 现在部队已经不再做了 |
inversion:n.倒置;反向;倒转; expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; tactics:n.战术:策略:手段:兵法(tactic的复数) whatnot:n.放古董的架子;不可名状的东西;
|
So how does a leader stay credible and legitimate when they haven't done what the people you're leading are doing? |
作为一个领导者 如何能保持合理性和信服力 当他们在领导他人 做那些他们自己也没有做过的事情的时候 |
credible:adj.可靠的,可信的; legitimate:adj.合法的;正当的;合理的;正统的;v.使合法;认为正当(等于legitimize);
|
And it's a brand new leadership challenge. |
这是领导层遇到的崭新挑战 |
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
|
And it forced me to become a lot more transparent , a lot more willing to listen, a lot more willing to be reverse-mentored from lower. |
它迫使我将很多事情变得透明 要更乐意去聆听 更乐意收到下层的反过来的指导 |
transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的;
|
And yet, again, you're not all in one room. |
而且,你们并不在一个屋子里 |
Then another thing. |
这是另外一面 |
There's an effect on you and on your leaders. |
会影响你和你们这些领导者 |
There's an impact , it's cumulative . |
这是有影响的,而且是累积的 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; cumulative:adj.累积的;
|
You don't reset , or recharge , your battery every time. |
你不能重置,或者重新充电,你需要每时每刻充电 |
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版; recharge:v.给(电池)充电;恢复体力;休整;n.再袭击;再装火药; battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位;
|
I stood in front of a screen one night in Iraq with one of my senior officers and we watched a fire fight from one of our forces. |
有一天晚上,我在伊朗站在一块屏幕前 和一个比我高级的官员 我们看到我们一支武装力量进行火力搏斗 |
And I remembered his son was in our force. |
我记得他的儿子在我们的部队中 |
And I said, "John, where's your son? And how is he?" |
我说:“John,你的儿子在哪里?现在怎么样?” |
And he said, "Sir, he's fine. Thanks for asking." |
他说,“他很好,多谢问候。” |
I said, "Where is he now?" |
我说,“他在哪里?” |
And he pointed at the screen, he said, "He's in that fire fight." |
他指着屏幕,说,“他就在这场火力搏斗中。” |
Think about watching your brother, father, daughter, son, wife in a fire fight in realtime and you can't do anything about it. |
试想看着你的兄弟,父亲, 女儿,儿子,妻子 正在这场火力搏斗中 你却不能帮他做任何事情 |
realtime:adj.实时的;适时的;
|
Think about knowing that over time. |
想象一下随着时间的推移 |
And it's a new cumulative pressure on leaders. |
这种累积的压力沉沉压在领导者的身上 |
And you have to watch and take care of each other. |
但你必须照看和互相照顾。 |
I probably learned the most about relationships. |
在怎样处理人的关系上我学到了很多 |
I learned they are the sinew which hold the force together. |
我学习到他们是支柱 他们让部队连在一起 |
sinew:n.筋;肌腱;体力;精力;vt.加强;使牢固;
|
I grew up much of my career in the Ranger regiment . |
我的大部门职业生涯是在突击团队中成长的 |
regiment:v.把…编成团;严格地管制;n.团;大量;
|
And every morning in the Ranger regiment, every Ranger -- and there are more than 2,000 of them -- says a six-stanza Ranger creed . |
每一个早上 在这个团队中 每一个军士, 两千个多个人 诵读六段部队的信条 |
creed:n.信条,教义;
|
You may know one line of it, it says, "I'll never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy." |
你可能知道其中的一条,它是这样说的, “我绝对不会留下任何一个落后的队友在敌人的手中。” |
And it's not a mindless mantra , and it's not a poem. |
这不是一个愚蠢的咒语 也不是一首诗 |
mindless:adj.愚蠢的;不小心的;不需要动脑筋的;不顾虑的; mantra:n.咒语(尤指四吠陀经典内作为咒文或祷告唱念的);颂歌;
|
It's a promise. |
这是一个承诺 |
Every Ranger promises every other Ranger now matter what happens, no matter what it costs me, if you need me, I'm coming. |
每一个军士都会向其他每一个军士作出承诺 无论什么事情发生,无论对于自己付出什么代价 如果你需要我,我就会来。 |
no matter what:不管什么…;
|
And every Ranger gets that same promise from every other Ranger. |
每一个军士都获得这样的承诺 从其他军士身上 |
Think about it. It's extraordinarily powerful. |
想象一下。这是绝对的有力量 |
extraordinarily:adv.非常;格外地;非凡地;
|
It's probably more powerful than marriage vows . |
这甚至比结婚的誓言更加有力量 |
vows:n.婚誓;誓约(vow的复数);v.发誓;郑重声明(vow的三单形式);
|
And they've lived up to it, which gives it special power. |
他们为此而生存,并且给出了特别的力量 |
And so the organizational relationship that bonds them is just amazing. |
所以有组织的关系把他们联系起来 这是太棒了 |
organizational:adj.组织的;编制的;
|
And I learned personal relationships were more important than ever. |
我学习人际间的关系 现在比以往都重要 |
We were in a difficult operation in Afghanistan in 2007, and an old friend of mine, that I had spent many years at various points of my career with -- godfather to one of their kids -- he sent me a note, just in an envelope , that had a quote from Sherman to Grant that said, "I knew if I ever got in a tight spot, that you would come, if alive." |
2007年我们在阿富汗的行动非常艰难 我的一个老朋友 我们交往了多年 在我职业生涯多个重要的点上 我还是他一个孩子的教父 他给我寄了张纸条,就放在一个信封里 是Sherman和Grant书信里的摘录 说,“我知道如果我困住了, 你是会来的,如果你还活着。” |
godfather:n.教父;v.当…的教父; envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹; quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; Grant:v.授予;允许;承认;同意;n.拨款;[法]授予物;
|
And having that kind of relationship, for me, turned out to be critical at many points in my career. |
能有这样的关系 对于我而言 在职业生涯的很多时候都至关重要 |
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
|
And I learned that you have to give that in this environment, because it's tough. |
我学习到你必须付出 在这样的环境里, 因为这很艰难 |
That was my journey . |
那是我的旅程 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
I hope it's not over. |
我希望它还没有结束 |
I came to believe that a leader isn't good because they're right; they're good because they're willing to learn and to trust. |
我开始相信 一个领导并不是因为他正确了就是好的 他们是好的,因为他们愿意学习和去信任别人 |
This isn't easy stuff . |
这不是简单的事情 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
It's not like that electronic abs machine where, 15 minutes a month, you get washboard abs. |
这不是一个电子瘦肚机 那里,一个月15分钟,帮你把肚子搓一下 |
washboard:n.(美)搓板;高低不平的路面;防波板;adj.搓板状的;崎岖不平的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And it isn't always fair. |
这总不是那么的公平 |
You can get knocked down, and it hurts and it leaves scars. |
你可能被击败 它会痛 留下伤疤 |
But if you're a leader, the people you've counted on will help you up. |
但如果你是一个领导者 那些人你依赖的人 会帮你成长 |
And if you're a leader, the people who count on you need you on your feet. |
如果你是一个领导者 而那些信任你的人需要你立场坚定 |
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |