返回首页

StaceyAbrams_2018W-_做任何事情时,都要问自己三个问题_

When I was in high school at the age of 17 -- 当我还是个十七岁的高中生时——
I graduated from high school in Decatur, Georgia, as valedictorian of my high school -- 我从乔治亚州迪凯特的高中毕業, 我是致告别辞的学生代表——
valedictorian:n.告别演说者;致告别辞者;
I was very proud of myself. 我对自己挺骄傲的。
I was from a low-income community , I had grown up in Mississippi, we'd moved from Mississippi to Georgia so my parents could pursue their degrees as United Methodist ministers . 我来自低收入社区, 我在密西西比长大, 我们从密西西比搬到乔治亚, 是因为我父母想要取得 联合循道宗牧师的身分。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) Methodist:n.卫理公会派教徒;adj.卫理公会教派的; ministers:n.部长,大臣; v.辅助; (minister的第三人称单数和复数)
We were poor, but they didn't think we were poor enough, so they were going for permanent poverty . 我们很穷,但他们觉得我们还不够穷, 所以他们要去争取永久的贫穷。
permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so, while they studied at Emory, 所以,他们在埃默里大学读书,
I studied at Avondale, and I became valedictorian. 我在雅芳戴尔高中读书, 且成了致告别辞的学生代表。
Well, one of the joys of being valedictorian in the state of Georgia is that you get invited to meet the governor of Georgia. 身为乔治亚州致告别辞的 学生代表,其中一项乐趣就是 你会受邀请去见乔治亚州的州长。
I was mildly interested in meeting him. 对于能见到他,我是略感兴趣。
mildly:adv.温和地,和善地;适度地;
It was kind of cool. 那还蛮酷的。
I was more intrigued by the fact that he lived in a mansion , because I watched a lot of "General Hospital" and " Dynasty " 比较吸引我的是,他住在官邸中, 我小时候常常在看 《杏林春暖》和《朝代》。
intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词) mansion:n.大厦;宅邸; Dynasty:n.代;王朝;朝代;
as a child. (笑声)
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so I got up that morning, ready to go to visit the governor. 所以,我那天早上起床, 准备好要去拜访州长。
My mom and my dad, who were also invited, got up, and we went outside. 我爸妈也受到邀请, 他们起床了,我们出了门。
But we didn't get in our car. 但我们没有上我们的车。
And in the south, a car is a necessary thing. 在南方,一定要有车。
We don't have a lot of public transit , there aren't a lot of options . 我们没有太多的 大众交通工具可以选择。
transit:n.运输;经过;v.运送;经过; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
But if you're lucky enough to live in a community where you don't have a car, the only option is public transit. 但如果你够幸运, 住在一个社区中, 在那里若你没有车, 唯一的选择就是大众交通工具。
And that's what we had to take. 那就是我们得要搭乘的。
And so we got on the bus. 所以我们上了巴士。
And we took the bus from Decatur all the way to Buckhead, where the Governor's Mansion sat on this really beautiful acreage of land, with these long black gates that ran the length of the property. 我们从迪凯特 一路搭巴士到巴克海特, 在那里,州长的官邸坐落在 一片非常漂亮的土地上, 有很长的黑色大门, 从地产的这一头到那一头。
acreage:n.面积,英亩数;
We get to the Governor's Mansion, we pull the little lever that lets them know this is our stop, we get off the bus, my mom, my dad and I, we walk across the street. 我们到了州长的官邸, 我们按了下车铃 让他们知道我们要下车, 我们下了巴士, 我爸妈和我,我们穿过街道,
lever:n.杠杆;控制杆;v.用杠杆撬动;把…作为杠杆;
We walk up the driveway , because there are cars coming up, cars bringing in students from all across the state of Georgia. 我们走上车道, 因为有一些车抵达, 那些车载来了 乔治亚州各地的学生。
driveway:n.(从建筑物,住房,车库等通往大路的)私人车道;
So we're walking along the side. 我们延着边边行走。
And as we walk single file along the side, my mom and dad sandwiching me to make sure I don't get hit by one of the cars bringing in the other valedictorians , we approach the guard gate. 我们成一路纵队延着边边行走, 我爸妈把我夹在中间,以免我被 我们接近了警卫门。
valedictorians:n.告别演说者;致告别辞者; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
When we get to the guard gate, the guard comes out. 当我们到达警卫门时, 警卫走出来。
He looks at me, and he looks at my parents, and he says, "You don't belong here, this is a private event." 他看着我,他看着我爸妈, 他说:「你们不属于这里, 这是私人的活动。」
My dad says, "No, this is my daughter, Stacey. She's one of the valedictorians." 我爸爸说:「不,这是我女儿, 史黛西。她是学生代表之一。」
But the guard doesn't look at the checklist that's in his hands. 但警卫并没有看他手上的名单。
checklist:n.清单;检查表;备忘录;目录册;
He doesn't ask my mom for the invitation that's at the bottom of her very voluminous purse . 他没有向我妈妈要邀请函, 我妈妈把邀请函放在 她那宽鬆的皮包底部。
invitation:n.邀请,引诱 voluminous:adj.大量的;多卷的,长篇的;著书多的; purse:n.钱包;资金;财源;备用款;v.噘嘴;
Instead, he looks over our shoulder at the bus, because in his mind, the bus is telling him a story about who should be there. 反之,他看向我们后面的巴士, 因为在他的想法中, 巴士就能告诉他谁该在这里。
And the fact that we were too poor to have our own car -- that was a story he told himself. 我们太贫穷了,没有自己的车—— 这是他告诉他自己的故事。
And he may have seen something in my skin color, he may have seen something in my attire; 他可能在我的肤色中 看到了些资讯, 他可能在我的穿着中 看到了些资讯,
I don't know what went through his mind. 我不知道他在想什么。
But his conclusion was to look at me again, and with a look of disdain , say, "I told you, this is a private event. You don't belong here." 但他的结论是,再看我一次, 他脸上是轻蔑的表情, 说:「我说过了, 这是私人活动。 你们不属于这里。」
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论; disdain:n.蔑视;vt.鄙弃;
Now, my parents were studying to become United Methodist ministers, but they were not pastors yet. 我爸妈在读书,想要成为 联合循道宗的牧师, 但他们还不是牧师。
pastors:n.(尤指非英国国教的)牧师;(pastor的复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so they proceeded to engage this gentleman in a very robust discussion of his decision-making skills. 所以他们开始跟这位男士 进行非常稳健的讨论, 谈他的决策技巧。
proceeded:v.继续做;接着做;继而做;行进;前往;(proceed的过去分词和过去式) engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的; decision-making:n.决策;
(Laughter) (笑声)
My father may have mentioned that he was going to spend eternity in a very fiery place if he didn't find my name on that checklist. 我爸爸可能有提及 若他不在名单上找到 我的名字,他就会永久 待在一个非常炽热的地方(下地狱)。
eternity:n.来世,来生;不朽;永世; fiery:adj.热烈的,炽烈的;暴躁的;燃烧般的;
And indeed, the man checks the checklist eventually , and he found my name, and he let us inside. 那名男子终于看了他的名单, 他找到了我的名字,让我们进入。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
But I don't remember meeting the governor of Georgia. 但我不记得和乔治亚州 州长的会面。
I don't recall meeting my fellow valedictorians 我想不起来我有见到 来自 180 个学区的
recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令;
The only clear memory I have of that day was a man standing in front of the most powerful place in Georgia, looking at me and telling me I don't belong. 我对那天唯一清楚的记忆, 就是有名男子站在乔治亚州 最有权势的场所前面, 看着我,告诉我我不属于这里。
And so I decided, 20-some-odd years later, to be the person who got to open the gates. 所以,二十多年后,我决定 要成为打开那些大门的人。
(Cheers) (欢呼)
(Applause) (掌声)
Unfortunately , you may have read the rest of the story. 不幸的是,你们可能已经 读过故事剩下的部分了。
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
It didn't quite work out that way. 发展并不如我预期。
And now I'm tasked with figuring out: How do I move forward? 我现在的任务,就是要想出: 我要如何向前迈进?
Because, you see, I didn't just want to open the gates for young black women who had been underestimated and told they don't belong. 因为,我不只是想要 为那些被低估、被告知 不属于这里的年轻 黑人女性打开那些大门,
underestimated:v.低估;对…估计不足;轻视(underestimate的过去分词和过去式)
I wanted to open those gates for Latinas and for Asian Americans. 我想要为拉丁美洲裔 和亚裔美国人打开那些大门。
I wanted to open those gates for the undocumented and the documented. 我想要为没有证明文件 和有证明文件的人打开那些大门。
undocumented:adj.无事实证明的;无正式文件的;
I wanted to open those gates as an ally of the LGBTQ community. 我想要为 LGBTQ 族群 打开那些大门。
I wanted to open those gates for the families that have to call themselves the victims of gun violence . 我想要为成为枪枝暴力下 受害者的家庭打开那些大门。
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
I wanted to open those gates wide for everyone in Georgia, because that is our state, and this is our nation, and we all belong here. 我想要为乔治亚州的每个人, 把那些大门开到底, 因为那是我们的州, 这是我们的国家, 我们都属于这里。
(Cheers) (欢呼)
(Applause) (掌声)
But what I recognized is that the first try wasn't enough. 但我发现,第一次尝试并不足够。
recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
And my question became: How do I move forward? 我的问题变成了: 我要如何向前迈进?
How do I get beyond the bitterness and the sadness and the lethargy and watching an inordinate amount of television as I eat ice cream? 我要如何超越痛苦、 以及一边吃冰淇淋 一边无节制地看电视?
bitterness:n.苦味;苦难;怨恨; lethargy:n.昏睡;死气沉沉;嗜眠(症); inordinate:adj.过度的;无节制的;紊乱的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
What do I do next? 我接下来要怎么做?
And I'm going to do what I've always done. 我要做的,是我一直在做的。
I'm going to move forward, because going backwards isn't an option and standing still is not enough. 我要向前迈进, 因为没有「后退」这个选项, 且「站着不动」并不足够。
(Applause) (掌声)
You see, I began my race for governor by analyzing who I was and what I wanted to be. 我竞选州长的第一件事, 就是分析我以前是什么人、 我想要成为什么人。
analyzing:adj.分析的;v.分析(analyze的现在分词);
And there are three questions I ask myself about everything I do, whether it's running for office or starting a business; when I decided to start the New Georgia Project to register people to vote; or when I started the latest action, Fair Fight Georgia. 对于我做的每一件事, 我都会问自己三个问题, 不论是竞选或是创業; 包括当我发动「新乔治亚计画」, 让大家登记去投票; 或是当我成立最新的行动 「乔治亚公平之争」时。
register:v.登记;注册;记录;n.登记簿;登记表;注册簿;
No matter what I do, I ask myself three questions: 不论我做什么, 我都会问自己三个问题:
No matter what:不管什么…;
What do I want? 我想要什么?
Why do I want it? 我为什么想要它?
And how do I get it? 我要如何得到它?
And in this case, I know what I want. 我这个案例中,我知道我要什么。
I want change. 我要改变。
That is what I want. 那就是我想要的。
But the question is: 但,问题是:
What change do I want to see? 我想要看到什么样的改变?
And I know that the questions I have to ask myself are: 我知道我得要问我自己的问题是:
One, am I honest about the scope of my ambition ? 一,我对于我野心的范围 是否有诚实?
scope:n.能力; v.仔细看; ambition:n.追求的目标;野心;志向;抱负;
Because it's easy to figure out that once you didn't get what you wanted, then maybe you should have set your sights a little lower, but I'm here to tell you to be aggressive about your ambition. 因为,很容易就能想通, 如果你得不到你想要的, 也许你应该把目标设低一点, 但我来这里是要告诉各位, 对你们的野心要很积极。
aggressive:adj.侵略性的;好斗的;有进取心的;有闯劲的;
Do not allow setbacks to set you back . 不要让挫折使你受挫。
setbacks:n.挫折;周折(setback复数); set you back:让你破费;
(Applause) (掌声)
Number two, let yourself understand your mistakes. 二,让你自己了解你的错误。
But also understand their mistakes, because, as women in particular , we're taught that if something doesn't work out, it's probably our fault. 但也要了解他们的错误, 因为,特别是女性,我们被教导, 若事情没成功,很可能是我们的错。
in particular:尤其,特别;
And usually, there is something we could do better, but we've been told not to investigate too much what the other side could have done. 通常,会有我们能做更好的地方, 但我们被告知的是,不要追究 另一方本来还可以怎么做。
investigate:v.调查;研究;审查;
And this isn't partisan -- it's people. 这不是支持党派——这是人。
partisan:adj.党派的;效忠的;偏袒的;盲目推崇的;n.游击队;虔诚信徒;党羽;
We're too often told that our mistakes are ours alone, but victory is a shared benefit. 我们太常被告知, 我们的错误完全是我们的错误, 但胜利则是要共享的利益。
And so what I tell you to do is understand your mistakes, but understand the mistakes of others. 我要各位做的是,了解你的错误, 但也要了解他人的错误。
And be clearheaded about it. 且要能清楚明辨。
clearheaded:adj.头脑清楚的;
And be honest with yourself and honest with those who support you. 对自己诚实,对支持你的人诚实。
But once you know what you want, understand why you want it. 但一旦你知道你想要什么, 就要去了解你为什么想要它。
And even though it feels good, revenge is not a good reason. 且虽然报仇很爽, 但它并不是个好理由。
revenge:n.报复;复仇;v.报复;替…报仇;洗雪;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Instead, make sure you want it because there's something not that you should do, but something you must do. 应该做的,是要确保你想要它 是因为有你非做不可的事, 而不是应该做的事。
It has to be something that doesn't allow you to sleep at night unless you're dreaming about it; something that wakes you up in the morning and gets you excited about it; or something that makes you so angry, you know you have to do something about it. 它必须要是那种,晚上你如果 不梦到它就无法入睡的事; 它必须要是那种让你 早上起来就很兴奋的事; 或是让你非常愤怒的事, 你知道你得要做点什么来处理它。
But know why you're doing it. 但要知道你为什么要做它。
And know why it must be done. 知道为什么它必须要被完成。
You've listened to women from across this world talk about why things have to happen. 你们已经听过了 来自世界各地的女性 谈论事情为什么必须要发生。
But figure out what the "why" is for you, because jumping from the "what" to the "do" 但找出「为什么」是你个人的事, 因为如果你不知道为什么,
is meaningless if you don't know why. 从「什么」跳到「做」 就是无意义的。
Because when it gets hard, when it gets tough, when your friends walk away from you, when your supporters forget you, when you don't win your first race -- if you don't know why, you can't try again. 因为当情况变艰难时, 当你的朋友都离开你时, 当你的支持者都忘了你时, 当你无法赢得你的 第一场比赛时—— 若你不知道为什么要做, 你就无法再试一次。
supporters:n.拥护者;(运动队的)支持者;(supporter的复数)
So, first know what you want. 所以,先知道你想要什么。
Second, know why you want it, but third, know how you're going to get it done. 再来,知道你为什么想要它, 但,第三,知道要如何做到它。
I faced a few obstacles in this race. 在这场竞赛中,我面对了几个障碍。
obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
Just a few. 只有几个。
But in the pursuit , 但在这场追寻当中,我成了
pursuit:n.追求;追赶;追捕;跟踪;
I became the first black woman to ever become the nominee for governor in the history of the United States of America for a major party. 美国史上第一个被大党 提名为州长的黑人女性。
nominee:n.被任命者;被提名的人;代名人; United States of America:un.美利坚合众国;
(Cheers) (欢呼)
(Applause) (掌声)
But more importantly, in this process , we turned out 1.2 million African American voters in Georgia. 但,更重要的是,在这个过程中, 我们让乔治亚州的 120 万名 非裔美国投票人站出来。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; African American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
That is more voters than voted on the Democratic side of the ticket in 2014. 这比 2014 年投票给 民主党的投票者还多。
Democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的;
(Applause) (掌声)
Our campaign tripled the number of Latinos who believed their voices mattered in the state of Georgia. 我们的竞选活动让相信自己的声音 在乔治亚洲会被重视的 拉丁美洲裔人数变为三倍。
tripled:adj.三倍的;三方的;n.三倍数;三个一组;vi.增至三倍;vt.使成三倍; Latinos:n.拉丁美洲人(Latino的复数);
We tripled the number of Asian Americans who stood up and said, "This is our state, too." 我们让站出来说 「这也是我们的州」的 亚裔美国人人数变为三倍。
Those are successes that tell me how I can get it done. 那些成功,让我知道 我如何能做到它。
But they also let me understand the obstacles aren't insurmountable . 但它们也让我了解到, 障碍并非不能克服。
insurmountable:adj.不能克服的;不能超越的;难以对付的;
They're just a little high. 这些障碍只是高了点。
But I also understand that there are three things that always hold us hostage . 但我也了解到, 有三样东西总是挾持着我们。
hostage:n.人质;抵押品;
The first is finances. 第一样是财务。
Now, you may have heard, I'm in a little bit of debt . 你们可能听说过,我其实有欠点债。
debt:n.债务;借款;罪过;
If you didn't hear about it, you did not go outside. 如果你们没听过,你们大概没出门。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And finances are something that holds us back so often, our dreams are bounded by how much we have in resources . 我们常常被财务给拖住, 我们的梦想会受限于 我们有多少资源。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
But we hear again and again the stories of those who overcome those resource challenges. 但我们一再听到 人们能够克服资源困难的故事。
again and again:adv.再三地,反复地; overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜;
But you can't overcome something you don't talk about. 但你不拿出来谈论, 就不可能克服。
And that's why I didn't allow them to debt-shame me in my campaign. 那就是为什么我在兢选时, 不会让他们用债务来羞辱我。
I didn't allow anyone to tell me that my lack of opportunity was a reason to disqualify me from running. 我不会让任何人来告诉我,
disqualify:vt.取消…的资格;
And believe me, people tried to tell me I shouldn't run. 相信我,很多人试图 告诉我说我不应该竞选。
Friends told me not to run. 朋友告诉我不要竞选。
Allies told me not to run. 盟友告诉我不要竞选。
Allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数)
'"USA Today" mentioned maybe I shouldn't run. 《今日美国》提到, 也许我不该竞选。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But no matter who it was, 但,不论是谁,
I understood that finances are often a reason we don't let ourselves dream. 我知道财务常常会是 不让我们作梦的一个理由。
I can't say that you will always overcome those obstacles, but I will tell you, you will be damned if you do not try. 我没办法保证你们一定 都会克服那些障碍, 但我会告诉各位,如果你们 不尝试,才应该下地狱。
damned:adj.该死的; v.该死,混账; (damn的过去分词和过去式)
(Applause) (掌声)
The second is fear. 第二样是恐惧。
And fear is real. 恐惧是真实的。
It is paralyzing . 它会让你瘫痪不动。
paralyzing:v.使瘫痪或麻痹;使惊愕;(paralyze的现在分词)
It is terrifying . 它很吓人。
terrifying:adj.令人恐惧的;骇人的;极大的;v.使害怕,使恐怖;(terrify的现在分词)
But it can also be energizing , because once you know what you're afraid of, you can figure out how to get around it. 但它也能激励人, 因为一旦你知道你害怕的是什么, 你就能想出方法绕过它。
energizing:v.激励(energize的现在分词);通电; get around:到处走走;逃避;说服;传开来(等于getround);有办法应付;有办法应付局面;
And the third is fatigue . 第三样是疲惫。
fatigue:n.疲劳;劳累;厌倦;(金属或木材的)疲劳;v.疲劳;使疲乏;(士兵)担任杂役;
Sometimes you just get tired of trying. 有时,你会厌倦了再次尝试。
You get tired of reading about processes and politics and the things that stop you from getting where you want to be. 你会厌倦了读到关于流程、政治, 以及阻挡你朝目标前进的那些事物。
processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
Sometimes, fatigue means that we accept position instead of power. 有时,疲惫意味着 我们接受位置而非权力。
We let someone give us a title as a consolation prize , rather than realizing we know what we want and we're going to get it, even if we're tired. 我们让某人给我们 一个头衔,当作安慰奖, 而不是了解到我们 知道自己想要什么, 且即使累了也还是要完成它。
consolation prize:安慰奖;
That's why God created naps . 那就是为什么神会创造打盹。
naps:n.打盹;短绒毛;赛马情报;v.打盹;(nap的第三人称单数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
But we also learn in those moments that fatigue is an opportunity to evaluate how much we want it. 但,在那些时刻,我们也会学到 疲惫是个机会,
evaluate:v.评价;评估;估计;
Because if you are beaten down, if you have worked as hard as you can, if you have done everything you said you should, and it still doesn't work out, fatigue can sap you of your energy. 因为如果你被打倒, 如果你已经尽力而为, 如果你已经做到了 所有你说你应该做的事, 结果仍然不如人意, 疲惫就会把你的能量吸光。
sap:n.[植]树液; vt.使衰竭,使伤元气; vi.挖坑道;
But that's why you go back to the "why" of it. 但,那就是为什么 你要回到它的「为什么」。
Because I know we have to have women who speak for the voiceless . 因为我知道,必须要有女性 来为无法发声的人发声。
speak for:要求得到;代表…讲话; voiceless:adj.无声的;清音的;沉默的;
I know we have to have people of good conscience who stand up against oppression . 必须要有有良心的人 站出来对抗压迫。
conscience:n.道德心,良心; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼;
I know we have to have people who understand that social justice belongs to us all. 必须要有人能了解 社会正义属于所有人。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
And that wakes me up every morning, and that makes me fight even harder. 这个想法每天早上把我唤醒, 让我更努力奋斗。
Because I am moving forward, knowing what is in my past. 因为我在向前行, 知道什么已经是过去的事。
I know the obstacles they have for me. 我知道他们给我的障碍。
I know what they're going to do, and I'm fairly certain they're energizing and creating new obstacles now. 我知道他们打算怎么做, 我十分确定他们现在正 精力充沛地在创造新的障碍。
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直;
But they've got four years to figure it out. 但他们有四年的时间可以想出来。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Maybe two. 也许两年。
(Cheers) (欢呼)
(Applause) (掌声)
But here's my point: 但,我的重点是:
I know what I want, and that is justice. 我知道我想要什么,就是正义。
I know why I want it, because poverty is immoral , and it is a stain on our nation. 我知道我为什么想要它, 因为贫穷是不道德的, 它是我们国家的污点。
immoral:adj.不道德的;邪恶的;淫荡的; stain:v.沾污;败坏;给…着色;n.污点;瑕疵;着色剂;
And I know how I'm going to get it: by moving forward every single day. 我知道我要如何做到: 每天都持续向前进。
Thank you so much. 非常谢谢。
(Cheers) (欢呼)
(Applause) (掌声)