|
|
SriSwamiDayanandaSaraswati_2009P-_找寻“大爱”_
|
A human child is born and for quite a long time is a consumer . |
当一个新生命刚来到世间, 在很长一段时间内 他只能是一位消费者。 |
consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者;
|
It cannot be consciously a contributor . |
他无法成为一名主动贡献者。 |
consciously:adv.自觉地;有意识地; contributor:n.贡献者;投稿者;捐助者;
|
It is helpless . |
他是无助的。 |
helpless:adj.无助的;无能的;没用的;
|
It doesn't know even how to survive, even though it is endowed with an instinct to survive. |
他甚至不知如何才能活下来, 尽管人人都生而有生存的本能。 |
endowed:v.赋予;捐赠; instinct:n.本能;天性;直觉;adj.充满的;
|
It needs the help of mother, or a foster mother, to survive. |
他需要母亲或养母的帮助才能活下来。 |
foster:vt.培养;养育,抚育;抱(希望等);adj.收养的,养育的;
|
It can't afford to doubt the person who tends the child. |
他也没有能力质疑任何照顾他的人。 |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
|
It has to totally surrender . |
他必须完全顺从, |
surrender:v.投降;(被迫)放弃,交出;n.投降;屈服;屈从;放弃,交出
|
as one surrenders to an anesthesiologist . |
就像病人必须屈服于麻醉师一样, |
surrenders:vt.使投降;放弃;交出;听任;vi.投降;屈服;自首;n.投降;放弃;交出;屈服; anesthesiologist:n.麻醉学者(医师);
|
It has to totally surrender. |
完全彻底地屈服。 |
That implies a lot of trust. |
这样的屈服中也包含着无比的信任, |
implies:v.意味着(imply的第三人称单数);蕴含;暗指;
|
That implies the trusted person won't violate the trust. |
意味着被信任的人 永远不会背叛这种信任。 |
violate:v.违反,违背(法律、协议等);侵犯(隐私等);亵渎;
|
As the child grows, it begins to discover that the person trusted is violating the trust. |
当这个孩子逐渐长大, 他开始意识到 他所信任的人在背叛他的信任。 |
violating:v.违背,违反(violate的现在分词);
|
It doesn't know even the word violation . |
但他此时还并不知道有“背叛”一词的存在, |
violation:n.违反;妨碍,侵害;违背;强奸;
|
Therefore, it has to blame itself. |
因此他只能怪罪自己。 |
A wordless blame, which is more difficult to really resolve , the wordless self-blame. |
这种默默的自责, 比责备他人更让人难受, 只是默默的自责。 |
wordless:adj.沉默的,无言的; resolve:vt.决定; vi.解决; n.坚决;
|
As the child grows to become an adult, so far, it has been a consumer, but the growth of a human being, lies in his or her capacity to contribute , to be a contributor. |
有一天孩子终于长大成人了。 在这此前他一直是名消费者。 但一个人的成长 最终取决于他们贡献能力的大小, 也就是说成为一个贡献者。 |
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; contribute:v.贡献,出力;投稿;捐献;
|
One cannot contribute unless one feels secure, one feels big, one feels: I have enough. |
但只有当一个人有安全感、 感觉到强大有力、 感觉到自己已足已之时[方能开始做贡献]。 |
To be compassionate is not a joke. |
拥有同情心并非儿戏。 |
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
|
It's not that simple. |
知之易,行却难。 |
One has to discover a certain bigness in oneself. |
你必须能发现自身在某方面足够强大, |
bigness:n.大;重大;伟大;
|
That bigness should be centered on oneself, not in terms of money, not in terms of power you wield , not in terms of any status that you can command in the society, but it should be centered on oneself. |
这种“强大”必存乎于心, 而非金钱, 亦非权力, 也非你所拥有的社会地位。 它必是基于人自身的。 |
wield:v.拥有,运用,行使,支配(权力等); status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
|
The self, you are self aware. |
自我,你要能认识到自我。 |
On that self, it should be centered, a bigness, a wholeness , otherwise, compassion is just a word and a dream. |
正是这个“自我”拥有着一种强大,一种完整。 否则,同情心只是一虚物而已。 |
wholeness:n.一切;全体;完全;
|
You can be compassionate occasionally , more moved by empathy than by compassion. |
你可以时不时地感受到自己在同情别人, 但这更多的只是理解别人[或者站在对方的角度思考问题] 而不是真正的同情。 |
occasionally:adv.偶尔;有时候;偶然; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
|
Thank God we are empathetic . |
感谢上帝让我们都懂得去同情别人, |
empathetic:adj.移情作用的;同感的(等于empathic);
|
When somebody's in pain, we pick up the pain. |
让我们感同身受。 |
In a Wimbledon match, final match, these two guys fight it out . |
在温布尔登的决赛场上, 两位球员全力以赴, |
fight it out:据理力争;一决雌雄;
|
Each one has got two games. |
比赛打到2:2的时候, |
It can be anybody's game. |
谁都有可能赢得最后的胜利, |
What they have sweated so far has no meaning. |
似乎之前流的汗都毫无意义了。 |
One person wins. |
最后其中的一位赢了。 |
The tennis etiquette is both the players have to come to the net and shake hands. |
根据比赛礼仪,结束后两个人都要走到球网前 握手致意。 |
etiquette:n.礼节,礼仪;规矩;
|
The winner boxes the air and kisses the ground, throws his shirt as though somebody is waiting for it. |
胜者挥拳庆祝、 亲吻大地、 脱下衣服扔向空中,就好像有人在等着接那件衣服。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And this guy has to come to the net. |
但最终他必须走到网前。 |
When he comes to the net, you see, his whole face changes. |
当他走近的时候, 你可以看到他的表情来了个180度大转变。 |
It looks as though he's wishing that he didn't win. |
他这时看起来就好像宁愿输掉比赛一样。 |
Why? Empathy. |
为什么?因为同情。 |
That's human heart. |
这是人的恻隐之心。 |
No human-hearted is denied of that empathy. |
每个人都有这样的恻隐之心。 |
denied:v.否认;拒绝;否定;不承认;(deny的过去分词和过去式)
|
No religion can demolish that by indoctrination . |
宗教无法改变这一事实, |
demolish:v.拆毁;(意外)毁坏;推翻;轻易而彻底地打败; indoctrination:n.教化;教导;
|
No culture, no nation, and nationalism , nothing can touch it because it is empathy. |
任何文化、任何国家和民族都不能, 什么都不能带走人的恻隐之心。 因为这就是同情心。 |
nationalism:n.民族主义;国家主义;民族特性;
|
And that capacity to empathize , is the window through which you reach out to people, you do something that makes a difference in somebody's life. |
这种同情别人的能力 是你接近别人的一扇窗户, 是你帮助别人改变生活的一个途径。 |
empathize:vt.移情;神会;
|
Even words, even time. |
哪怕只是几句话,或者一起度过的时光。 |
Compassion is not defined in one form. |
同情心有很多种形式。 |
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确;
|
There's no Indian compassion. |
但并没有印度同情心 |
There's no American compassion. |
或者美国同情心一说。 |
It transcends nation, gender , age. |
同情心是跨越国界、性别和年龄的。 |
transcends:vt.胜过,超越; gender:n.性别;
|
Why? Because it is there in everybody. |
为什么?因为它只存乎于心。 |
It's experienced by people occasionally. |
它时不时地被我们感受到。 |
Then this occasional compassion, we are not talking about. |
但这种偶尔发生的同情心, 不是我们要说的。 |
It will never remain occasional. |
同情心不可能是偶发的。 |
By mandate , you cannot make a person compassionate. |
你无法强迫一个人拥有同情心。 |
mandate:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管;
|
You can't say, "Please love me." |
你不能对他说:“请你一定要爱我”。 |
Love is something you discover. |
爱是需要你去发现的。 |
It's not an action, but in the English language, it is also an action. |
它并不是一个简单的动作。 但在英语中,“爱”确实是一个动词。 |
I will come to it later. |
这个容我压后再谈。 |
So one has got to discover a certain wholeness. |
一个人必须要在自己身上发现一种“完整“。 |
I am going to cite the possibility of being whole, which is within our experience, everybody's experience. |
现在我要说的就是达到这种“完整”状态的可能性。 这种可能性存在于我们的经历,每个人过去所经历的事情。 |
I am going to:我将要做什么事情 cite:v.引用;援引;引述;提及(原因);n.引文;
|
In spite of a very tragic life, one is happy in moments which are very few and far between . |
即便一个人的生活极其苦难, 他时不时的还是会有少许快乐的时刻。 |
In spite of:尽管;不管,不顾; tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的; few and far between:稀少;彼此相距很远;不常发生;
|
And the one who is happy, even for a slapstick joke, accepts himself, and also the scheme of things in which one finds oneself. |
经历快乐时刻的人, 哪怕只是因为一个低级趣味的笑话, 从心底里是接纳自己的,并同时接纳存在于他周围的一切。 |
slapstick:n.趣剧;低俗的闹剧; scheme:n.计划;方案;体系;体制;阴谋;v.密谋;图谋;想;认为;
|
That means the whole universe, known things and unknown things. |
这“一切”意味着整个宇宙, 已知的和未知的所有事物。 |
All of them are totally accepted because you discover your wholeness in yourself. |
所有这一切都被完全接纳。 因为他发现了自己的“完整”。 |
The subject, me, and the object, the scheme of things, fuse into oneness , an experience nobody can say, "I am denied of," |
作为主体的“我” 和作为客体的世间万物 融为了一个整体。 这种体验没有人敢说自己没有过。 |
fuse:n.保险丝;导火线;v.(使)融合,熔断;熔接; oneness:n.统一性;单一性;同一性;完整;
|
an experience common to all and sundry . |
这是天下所有人的共同体验。 |
sundry:adj.杂的;各式各样的;n.杂货;杂项;
|
That experience confirms that, in spite of all your limitations , all your wants, desires, unfulfilled , and the credit cards, and layoffs , and, finally , baldness , you can be happy. |
这一体验给我们证明了一个道理:尽管人有各种各种的自身限制、 需求、欲望、未能实现的理想,信用卡的钱要还, 还有公司裁人的威胁, 再加上越来越严重的谢顶问题, 但你还是可以快乐起来的。 |
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式); unfulfilled:adj.未得到满足的;没有成就感的; layoffs:n.裁员;解雇; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; baldness:n.光秃;率直;枯燥;
|
But the extension of the logic is that you don't need to fulfill your desire to be happy. |
这也就是说, 你不需要非得满足什么欲望才能快乐。 |
extension:n.延长;延期;扩大;伸展;电话分机; logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的;
|
You are the very happiness, the wholeness, that you want to be. |
你自己正是你快乐的源泉,你自己就是你所追求的“完整”。 |
There's no choice in this. |
这并没有什么好选择的, |
That only confirms the reality that the wholeness cannot be different from you, cannot be minus you. |
它只说明了这样一个事实: 你的完整性就是你自己, 它不可能只是你的一部分, |
minus:prep.减,减去;n.负号,减号;不足;负数;adj.减的;负的;
|
It has got to be you. |
它必须就是你; |
You cannot be a part of wholeness and still be whole. |
你也不可能只是你的完整性的一部分, 而同时还能保持一个整体。 |
Your moment of happiness reveals that reality, that realization , that recognition . |
你经历的快乐时刻就是在向你揭示这样的一个事实、 一种顿悟和认识。 |
reveals:v.揭示;显示;透露;展示;(reveal的第三人称单数) realization:n.实现;领悟; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
|
Maybe I am the whole. |
也许我就是完整的, |
Maybe the swami is right. |
也许尊者说的是对的, |
swami:n.阁下(印度教用语);偶像;哲人;
|
Maybe the swami is right. You start your new life. |
他说的是有道理的。你从此开始了一种新的生活, |
Then everything becomes meaningful . |
你发现一切都变得有意义起来。 |
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
|
I have no more reason to blame myself. |
我不再有责怪自己的理由。 |
If one has to blame oneself, one has a million reasons plus many, but if I say, in spite of my body being limited , if it is black, it is not white, if it is white it is not black, body is limited any which way you look at it. Limited. |
如果一个人想责怪自己,他总能想出几十万个理由来。 但如果我说,尽管我有诸多的自身限制, 黑的就是黑的,白的就是白的。 人的身体是有极限的,不管你从哪个角度去看它。 |
limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
|
Your knowledge is limited, health is limited, and power is therefore limited, and the cheerfulness is going to be limited. |
你的知识是有限的,健康也是有限的, 从而人的能力也是有限的, 快乐程度也是受限制的, |
cheerfulness:n.高兴;快活;
|
Compassion is going to be limited. |
同情心也有限, |
Everything is going to be limitless . |
万事万物都是无限的。 |
limitless:adj.无限制的;无界限的;
|
You cannot command compassion unless you become limitless, and nobody can become limitless, either you are or you are not. Period. |
你不能强求同情心, 除非你自己变得无限强大。然而没有人能“变得”无限强大。 你要么受限制要么无限强大。就是这样。 |
And there is no way of your being not limitless too. |
然而另一方面,你也很难做到不“无限强大”。 |
Your own experience reveals, in spite of all limitations, you are the whole. |
你自己的体验告诉你,尽管你受诸多限制,但你还是完整的你。 |
And the wholeness is the reality of you when you relate to the world. |
这种完整性是你要面对的现实, 当你与这个世界打交道的时候。 |
It is love first. |
爱总是第一位的。 |
When you relate to the world, the dynamic manifestation of the wholeness is, what we say, love. |
当你生活在这个世界上, 你的完整性就体现在 我们所说的爱。 |
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的; manifestation:n.表现;显示;示威运动;
|
And itself becomes compassion if the object that you relate to evokes that emotion . |
然后这个爱就会自动转化成 对激发起这种爱的事物的同情心, |
evokes:vt.引起,唤起;博得; emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;
|
Then that again transforms into giving, into sharing. |
而同情心又能够转化成给予和分享。 |
transforms:v.[数][电]变换; n.语法转化规则;
|
You express yourself because you have compassion. |
有了同情心,你就希望能表达出来。 |
express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务;
|
To discover compassion, you need to be compassionate. |
要发现自己的同情心,你需要试着去同情别人。 |
To discover the capacity to give and share, you need to be giving and sharing. |
要发现自己给予和分享的能力, 你需要试着去给予和分享。 |
There is no shortcut . It is like swimming by swimming. |
这没有什么捷径,就像是你要想学会游泳,就必须到水里去实践。 |
shortcut:n.近路;捷径;快捷方式(图标);
|
You learn swimming by swimming. |
想学游泳就得下水去游。 |
You cannot learn swimming on a foam mattress and enter into water. |
不能指望着能在一块海绵垫子上学会游泳。 |
foam:n.泡沫;水沫;灭火泡沫;v.起泡沫;吐白沫;起着泡沫流动; mattress:n.床垫;褥子;空气垫; enter into:进入;讨论;成为…的一部分;研讨;分享;体谅;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You learn swimming by swimming. You learn cycling by cycling. |
从游泳中学游泳,从骑车中学骑车。 |
You learn cooking by cooking, having some sympathetic people around you to eat what you cook. |
从做饭中学做饭。 找一些有同情心的人 来品尝你做的食物。 |
sympathetic:adj.同情的;赞同的;和谐的;n.交感神经;容易感受的人;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And, therefore, what I say, you have to fake it and make it. |
所以,其实我说的意思就是, 你必须假装会干一件事情,然后慢慢就真的会干了。 |
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You need to. |
你的确需要这样做。 |
My predecessor meant that. |
前人已经说过类似的话。 |
predecessor:n.前任,前辈;
|
You have to act it out. |
你必须去实践。 |
You have to act compassionately . |
必须实践如何去同情别人。 |
compassionately:adv.同情地;慈悲地;富有同情心地;
|
There is no verb for compassion, but you have an adverb for compassion. |
英语里没有表达“同情”这个意思的动词, 但是有副词表达这个意思。 |
adverb:n.副词;adj.副词的;
|
That's interesting to me. |
我觉得这个很有意思。 |
You act compassionately. |
你要很有同情心的去做事情, |
But then how to act compassionately if you don't have compassion? |
但如果你没有同情心又如何达到这个目标? |
That is where you fake. |
这是你就需要去假装, |
You fake it and make it. This is the mantra of the United States of America . |
你先假装会干,然后再慢慢学。这就是美国人最推崇的。 |
mantra:n.咒语(尤指四吠陀经典内作为咒文或祷告唱念的);颂歌; United States of America:un.美利坚合众国;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You fake it and make it. |
假装会干,然后慢慢学。 |
You act compassionately as though you have compassion, grind your teeth, take all the support system, if you know how to pray, pray. |
你假装有同情心的去做事情,就好像真的有一样。 努力的去做, 用好一切你可以利用的资源, 如果你知道怎么祈祷,也不妨祈祷一下, |
grind:v.磨碎;磨快;n.磨;苦工作;
|
Ask for compassion. |
祈求同情心的到来, |
Let me act compassionately. |
让我能真正有同情心的去做事情。 |
Do it. |
一定要去做。 |
You'll discover compassion and also slowly a relative compassion, and slowly, perhaps if you get the right teaching, you'll discover compassion is a dynamic manifestation |
这样你就一定会发现同情心, 然后慢慢的发现一种相对的有比较的同情心。 再然后,如果得到了正确的指点, 你会发现同情心是 |
relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物;
|
of the reality of yourself, which is oneness, wholeness, and that's what you are. |
你自身状态的一种动态体现,这种自身状态指的就是你的完整性和统一性, 这种自身状态同时定义了你究竟是谁。 |
With these words, thank you very much. |
且到这里吧,谢谢! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |