|
|
SophalEar_2009U-_逃离红色高棉_
|
I normally teach courses on how to rebuild states after war. |
平时我讲述关于 如何进行战后重建的课程 |
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地;
|
But today I've got a personal story to share with you. |
但是今天我有一个亲身经历的故事与您们分享 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
This is a picture of my family, my four siblings , my mom and I, taken in 1977. |
这是我全家的照片 我的兄弟姐妹,母亲和我在1977年的照片 |
siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
|
And we're actually Cambodians . |
实际上我们是柬埔寨人 |
Cambodians:n.柬埔寨人(高棉人);柬埔寨语;adj.柬埔寨的;柬埔寨人的;柬埔寨语的;
|
And this picture is taken in Vietnam. |
但这是一张在越南拍摄的照片 |
So how did a Cambodian family end up in Vietnam in 1977? |
为什么1977年时一个柬埔寨家庭会在越南呢 |
Well to explain that, I've got a short video clip to explain the Khmer Rouge regime during 1975 and 1979. |
为了更好地说明,我带来了一个短片 来解释1975年到1979年之间的 红色高棉统治政权 |
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳; Rouge:n.胭脂; v.擦口红; adj.(罕)红的(只用于:R-Croix(英国)纹章局四属官之一; regime:n.政权,政体;社会制度;管理体制;
|
Video: April 17th, 1975. |
视频:1975年4月17日 |
The communist Khmer Rouge enters Phnom Penh to liberate their people from the encroaching conflict in Vietnam, and American bombing campaigns. |
共产主义者红色高棉 进入金边市解放他们的人民 从而摆脱越南的侵犯冲突 以及美国的轰炸 |
communist:n.共产党员;共产主义者;adj.共产主义的; liberate:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制); encroaching:adj.渐渐渗入的; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
|
Led by peasant-born Pol Pot, the Khmer Rouge evacuates people to the countryside in order to create a rural communist utopia , much like Mao Tse-tsung's Cultural Revolution in China. |
在农民出生的波尔布特的带领下 红色高棉将人民撤退到农村地区 这是为了创造共产主义的乌托邦 与毛泽东在中国进行的文化大革命类似 |
evacuates:vt.疏散,撤退;排泄;vi.疏散;撤退;排泄; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; utopia:n.乌托邦(理想中最美好的社会);理想国; Cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; Revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
|
The Khmer Rouge closes the doors to the outside world. |
红色高棉关闭了通往外部世界的大门 |
But after four years the grim truth seeps out. |
但是四年之后残酷的现实摆在人们眼前 |
grim:adj.冷酷的;糟糕的;残忍的; seeps:渗出;
|
In a country of only seven million people, one and a half million were murdered by their own leaders, their bodies piled in the mass graves of the killing fields . |
在仅有700万人口的国度里 150万的人民被他们的领导所杀害 他们的尸体被横放在杀戮场的万人坑中 |
piled:v.堆放;叠放;放置;装入;拥挤;(pile的过去分词和过去式) mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; graves:n.坟墓; adj.重大的; v.对(船底)作清洗并涂上沥青等涂料; v.庄重地; (grave的第三人称单数) killing fields:n.大屠杀之地;杀戮战场;
|
Sophal Ear: So, notwithstanding the 1970s narration , on April 17th 1975 we lived in Phnom Penh. |
索帕尔.伊尔:所以,尽管这是70年代的现实 在1975年4月17日时 我们住在金边 |
notwithstanding:adv.尽管,仍然;prep.尽管,虽然;conj.虽然; narration:n.叙述,讲述;故事;
|
And my parents were told by the Khmer Rouge to evacuate the city because of impending American bombing for three days. |
红色高棉通知我的父母 立即撤出此城市因为美国即将进行三天的轰炸 |
impending:adj.迫在眉睫的; v.(事件,危险等)逼近; (impend的现在分词)
|
And here is a picture of the Khmer Rouge. |
这是一张红色高棉的照片 |
They were young soldiers. Typically child soldiers. |
他们都是很年轻的士兵,主要是孩子兵 |
Typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地;
|
And this is very normal now, of modern day conflict. |
这在现代的冲突中很常见 |
Because they're easy to bring into wars. |
因为很容易就能将他们卷入战争 |
The reason that they gave about American bombing wasn't all that far off. |
他们所给的关于美国轰炸的理由并不那么充分 |
I mean, from 1965 to 1973 there were more munitions that fell on Cambodia than in all of World War II Japan, including the two nuclear bombs of August 1945. |
我的意思是在1965年到1973年间 大量的炸弹落在了柬埔寨的上空 甚至比二战时的日本还要多 这里还包括了1945年8月 两枚原子弹的轰炸量 |
munitions:n.[军]军需品(尤指武器弹药); v.供应…军需品; nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的;
|
The Khmer Rouge didn't believe in money. |
红色高棉并不相信金钱 |
So the equivalent of the Federal Reserve Bank in Cambodia was bombed. |
所以他们炸毁了在柬埔寨 相当于联邦储备银行的机构 |
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物; Federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; Reserve:n.储备,储存; vt.储备; vi.预订;
|
But not just that, they actually banned money. |
并不仅仅如此,他们实际上还禁止金钱流通 |
banned:v.明令禁止;取缔;禁止(某人)做某事;(ban的过去分词和过去式)
|
I think it's the only precedent in which money has ever been stopped from being used. |
我认为这是历史上唯一一次 金钱流通被禁止的案例 |
precedent:n.先例;前例;adj.在前的;在先的;
|
And we know money is the root of all evil , but it didn't actually stop evil from happening in Cambodia, in fact. |
我们知道金钱是罪恶的来源 但是事实上这并没有阻止罪恶在柬埔寨的发生 |
evil:adj.邪恶的;不幸的;有害的;讨厌的;n.罪恶,邪恶;不幸;
|
My family was moved from Phnom Penh to Pursat province. |
我的家庭从金边搬到了普萨省 |
This is a picture of what Pursat looks like. |
这是当时的普萨的照片 |
It's actually a very pretty area of Cambodia, where rice growing takes place. |
实际上这是柬埔寨很漂亮的地方 也是有名的稻米产地 |
And in fact they were forced to work the fields. |
事实上他们被强制进行田间劳动 |
So my father and mother ended up in a sort of concentration camp , labor camp. |
我的父母被安排在了 类似于集中营的劳工营中 |
concentration camp:n.集中营;
|
And it was at that time that my mother got word from the commune chief that the Vietnamese were actually asking for their citizens to go back to Vietnam. |
当时我母亲从乡长 那里得到了一点信息 当时越南人正在准备 将他们的人民撤回到越南 |
commune:vi.谈心,亲密交谈;密切联系;n.公社; Vietnamese:n.越南人;越南语;adj.越南的;越南人的;
|
And she spoke some Vietnamese, as a child having grown up with Vietnamese friends. |
而她因为从小与越南朋友长大 能够说一点越南语 |
And she decided, despite the advice of her neighbors, that she would take the chance and claim to be Vietnamese so that we could have a chance to survive. |
因此她决定,尽管她的邻居有异议 她决定利用这个机会 承认自己是越南人 从而我们将会有机会生存下来 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得;
|
Because at this point they're forcing everybody to work. |
因为在这个时候他们正在强迫所有人劳动 |
And they're giving about -- in a modern day, caloric restriction diet, I guess -- they're giving porridge , with a few grains of rice. |
而他们所提供的 我想仅仅相当于现在的低热量食品 以及含少量大米的粥 |
caloric:adj.热量的;卡的;n.热量; restriction:n.限制;约束;束缚; porridge:n.麦片粥;面糊 grains:n.谷物;颗粒;细粒;少量;一点儿;(grain的复数)
|
And at about this time actually my father got very sick. |
在那个时候 我的父亲得了重病 |
And he didn't speak Vietnamese. |
并且他不会说越南语 |
So he died actually, in January 1976. |
因此他在1976年去世了 |
And it made it possible, in fact, for us to take on this plan. |
所以事实上这让我们 有可能采用这项计划 |
So the Khmer Rouge took us from a place called Pursat to Koh Tiev. |
所以红色高棉将我们 从普萨省带到岛盖蒂埃夫 |
Which is across from the border from Vietnam. |
这是横跨越南边境的地区 |
And there they had a detention camp where alleged Vietnamese would be tested, language tested. |
并且他们在此设立了拘留营 来对自称的越南人进行越南语测试 |
detention:n.拘留;延迟;挽留; alleged:adj.宣称的;涉嫌的;v.断言,指称,声称;(allege的过去分词和过去式)
|
And my mother's Vietnamese was so bad that to make our story more credible , she'd given all the boys and girls new Vietnamese names. |
但是我母亲的越南语很差 为了让我们的故事更加可信 他给我们所有的兄弟姐妹取了越南名 |
credible:adj.可靠的,可信的;
|
But she'd given the boys girls names, and the girls boys names. |
但是她给男孩取了女孩名 给女孩取了男孩名 |
And it wasn't until she met a Vietnamese lady who told her this, and then tutored her for two days intensively , that she was able to go into her exam and you know, this was a moment of truth . |
这直到她后来遇到一位越南女士 告诉她这些,并对她进行了两天的突击学习 才成功通过了测试 你知道,这是残酷的测试 |
intensively:adv.强烈地;集中地; a moment of truth:真相大白的时刻;
|
If she fails, we're all headed to the gallows . |
如果她失败了,我们都得上绞刑架 |
gallows:n.绞刑;绞刑架;承梁;
|
If she passes, we can leave to Vietnam. |
如果她成功了,我们将会去越南 |
And she actually, of course, I'm here, she passes. |
因为我现在在这里出现,所以她成功了 |
And we end up in Hong Ngu on the Vietnamese side. |
我们来到了属于越南的闳嗯蛊 |
And then onwards to Chau Doc. |
之后向朱笃前进 |
onwards:adv.向前;在前面;
|
And this is a picture of Hong Ngu, Vietnam today. |
这是一张今日越南闳嗯蛊的照片 |
A pretty idyllic place on the Mekong Delta . |
位于湄公河三角洲,田园诗般美丽的地方。 |
idyllic:牧歌的;田园诗的;悠闲的; Mekong:n.湄公河(位于东南亚); Delta:n.(河流的)三角洲;德耳塔(希腊字母的第四个字);
|
But for us it meant freedom. |
但是对我们来说它意味着自由 |
And freedom from persecution from the Khmer Rouge. |
这是逃离了红色高棉统治的自由 |
persecution:n.迫害;烦扰;
|
Last year, the Khmer Rouge Tribunal , which the U.N. is helping Cambodia take on, started, and I decided that as a matter of record |
去年,由联合国协助柬埔寨成立的 红色高棉法庭开庭了 我决定作为事实的纪录 |
Tribunal:n.法庭;裁决;法官席;
|
I should file a Civil Complaint with the Tribunal, about my father's passing away. |
将陈述一系列关于我父亲过世的资料 并将资料递交给法庭 |
Civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; Complaint:n.抱怨;投诉;控告;不满;
|
And I got word last month that the complaint was officially accepted by the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. |
上个月我得到了消息 我的申请得到了红色高棉法庭的官方认可 |
And it's for me a matter of justice for history, and accountability for the future. |
这将会为我赢得历史的公正以及未来的问责 |
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性;
|
Because Cambodia remains a pretty lawless place, at times. |
因为柬埔寨现在仍然是法制淡薄的国家 |
lawless:adj.非法的;无法律的;
|
Five years ago my mother and I went back to Chau Doc. |
五年以前我母亲和我回到了朱笃 |
And she was able to return to a place that for her meant freedom, but also fear, because we had just come out of Cambodia. |
并且她也回到了那个曾经 对她意味着自由以及恐惧的地方 因为那时我们刚刚逃离了柬埔寨 |
I'm happy, actually, today, to present her. |
今天我非常高兴能够向大家介绍她 |
She's here today with us in the audience. |
她也来到了现场 |
Thank you mother. |
感谢我的母亲 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |