返回首页

SirKenRobinson_2013S-_如何逃出教育的死亡谷_

Thank you very much. 謝謝大家
I moved to America 12 years ago with my wife Terry and our two kids. 我12年前搬到美國 與我的妻子泰瑞和兩個孩子
Terry:n.厚绒布;毛毛圈;adj.起毛毛圈的;
Actually, truthfully , we moved to Los Angeles -- (Laughter) -- thinking we were moving to America, but anyway, it's a short plane ride from Los Angeles to America. 其實我們是搬到洛杉磯 (笑聲) 還以為我們搬到了美國 反正,從洛杉磯到美國 坐飛機也用不了多久
truthfully:adv.诚实地;深信不疑地;
I got here 12 years ago, and when I got here, I was told various things, like, "Americans don't get irony ." 我 12 年前來到這裡 剛到的時候,聽過各種說法 例如「美國人聽不懂諷刺」
irony:n.讽刺;反语;具有讽刺意味的事;adj.铁的;似铁的;
Have you come across this idea? 你們聽說過這個說法嗎?
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
It's not true. I've traveled the whole length and breadth of this country. 但這不是真的,我旅行全美各地
breadth:n.宽度;(知识、兴趣等)广泛;
I have found no evidence that Americans don't get irony. 完全不認為美國人聽不懂諷刺
It's one of those cultural myths , like, "The British are reserved ." 這就是所謂的文化迷思 還有人說「英國人很保守」
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; myths:神话;谬见; reserved:adj.内向的; v.预订,预约; (reserve的过去分词和过去式)
I don't know why people think this. 我不知為何有人這麼想
We've invaded every country we've encountered . 我們侵略每個遇到的國家
invaded:v.入侵;拥入;遍布(invade的过去分词);adj.被侵入的; encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑聲)
But it's not true Americans don't get irony, but I just want you to know that that's what people are saying about you behind your back. 說美國人聽不懂諷刺,絕對是假的 我只想讓你們知道 別人在背後怎麼說你們
You know, so when you leave living rooms in Europe, people say, thankfully , nobody was ironic in your presence . 當美國人在歐洲起身離開客廳 大家會說,還好沒人當你的面諷刺
thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地; ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的; presence:n.存在;出席;参加;风度;仪态;
But I knew that Americans get irony when I came across that legislation No Child Left Behind. 我知道美國人完全了解諷刺 就在我聽到「沒有孩子落後」時(有教無類法案 No Child Left Behind)
legislation:n.立法;法律;
Because whoever thought of that title gets irony, don't they, because -- 命名者一定了解什麼叫諷刺 不是嗎,因為…
whoever:任何人:无论是谁:
(Laughter) (Applause) — because it's leaving millions of children behind. (笑聲)(掌聲) 因為幾百萬孩子落後了
Now I can see that's not a very attractive name for legislation: 如果法案叫做「百萬孩子落後」
attractive:adj.吸引人的;有魅力的;引人注目的;
Millions of Children Left Behind. I can see that. 也不合適,這我明白
What's the plan? Well, we propose to leave millions of children behind, and here's how it's going to work. 我們打算怎麼做呢?我們建議 讓百萬孩子落後 我們這麼做
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算;
And it's working beautifully. 而且成效顯著
In some parts of the country, 60 percent of kids drop out of high school. 美國的某些地區 60% 的孩子從高中輟學
In the Native American communities , it's 80 percent of kids. 美國原住民社區 輟學率更高達 80%
Native American:n.美洲土著居民; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
If we halved that number, one estimate is it would create a net gain to the U.S. economy over 10 years of nearly a trillion dollars. 若能把數字減半,預計 會對美國經濟 十年內貢獻淨值近一兆美元
halved:v.对半分开;均分;把…减半(halve的过去式和过去分词); estimate:v.估计;估算;估价;n.估价;(对大小、数量、成本等的)估计;估计的成本; economy:n.经济;节约;理财; trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿;
From an economic point of view , this is good math, isn't it, that we should do this? 從經濟角度來看 非常划算,對吧?那是不是該做呢?
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; point of view:观点;见地;立场;
It actually costs an enormous amount to mop up the damage from the dropout crisis . 要花極高成本 才能解決輟學危機的傷害
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; dropout:n.退学学生;脱落;信号失落; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
But the dropout crisis is just the tip of an iceberg . 但輟學危機只是冰山一角
the tip of an iceberg:冰山一角;
What it doesn't count are all the kids who are in school but being disengaged from it, who don't enjoy it, who don't get any real benefit from it. 還沒包括人在學校 但心不在學校的孩子他們不喜歡上學 也沒從學校獲益
disengaged:adj.空闲的;自由的;已脱离的;v.脱离(disengage的过去分词);
And the reason is not that we're not spending enough money. 根本原因 不是經費不足
America spends more money on education than most other countries. 美國花在教育的投資 比世界上大多數國家都多
Class sizes are smaller than in many countries. 班級人數也較少
And there are hundreds of initiatives every year to try and improve education. 每年有幾百件方案 嘗試改善教育
initiatives:n.积极性;主动权(initiative的复数);创始; improve:v.改进;改善;
The trouble is, it's all going in the wrong direction. 問題是,這些嘗試都走錯了方向
There are three principles on which human life flourishes , and they are contradicted by the culture of education under which most teachers have to labor and most students have to endure . 有三大法則 讓人活得精彩 現有教育文化卻背道而馳,因此 老師教得辛苦 學生學得痛苦
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数) flourishes:v.繁荣;夸耀(flourish的单三形式); contradicted:反驳;矛盾; endure:v.忍受;忍耐;持续;持久;
The first is this, that human beings are naturally different and diverse . 第一項法則是: 人類天生就各不相同
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的;
Can I ask you, how many of you have got children of your own? 請問一下 在座多少人有子女?
Okay. Or grandchildren. 有孫子或孫女嗎?
How about two children or more? Right. 有兩位以上子女的?好
And the rest of you have seen such children. 其他人應該也看過小孩吧
(Laughter) (笑聲)
Small people wandering about. 不管哪裡都有小孩
I will make you a bet , and I am confident that I will win the bet. 我跟各位打賭 我一定會贏
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿; confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
If you've got two children or more, 如果你有兩位以上子女
I bet you they are completely different from each other. 我打賭他們一定截然不同
Aren't they? Aren't they? (Applause) 對吧?對吧?(掌聲)
You would never confuse them, would you? 你永遠不會搞混,對吧?
confuse:v.混同;使迷惑;使糊涂;使更难于理解;
Like, "Which one are you? Remind me. 你不會說「提醒我誰是哥哥?
Remind:v.提醒;使想起;
Your mother and I are going to introduce some color-coding system, so we don't get confused ." 你媽和我打算用顏色區別, 免得把你們搞混了。」
color-coding:v.给…标上色标,用不同色彩作标记或分类; confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
Education under No Child Left Behind is based on not diversity but conformity . 「有教無類法案」所倡導的教育 並非基於多樣性,而是要統一
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: conformity:n.一致,适合;符合;相似;
What schools are encouraged to do is to find out what kids can do across a very narrow spectrum of achievement. 學校只被要求 在狹窄範圍內探索學生潛力
narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分; spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象;
One of the effects of No Child Left Behind has been to narrow the focus onto the so-called STEM disciplines . They're very important. 「有教無類法案」的影響之一是 只重視數理主科 這些學科很重要
so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的; STEM:n.花草的茎或梗;高脚酒杯的脚;烟斗柄;词干;v.阻止;封堵;遏止; disciplines:n.[管理]纪律(discipline的复数); v.训导;
I'm not here to argue against science and math. 我不是要說,科學及數學不重要
argue against:反对;据理反对;争辩;
On the contrary , they're necessary but they're not sufficient . 它們很重要,只是還不夠
On the contrary:正相反; sufficient:adj.足够的;充分的;
A real education has to give equal weight to the arts, the humanities , to physical education . 真正的教育應同樣重視 藝術、人文、體育
humanities:n.人文学科(humanity的复数); physical education:n.[体]体育教学;
An awful lot of kids, sorry, thank you — (Applause) — 許多孩子,抱歉,謝謝…(掌聲)
One estimate in America currently is that something like 10 percent of kids, getting on that way, are being diagnosed with various conditions under the broad title of attention deficit disorder . 據估計目前在美國 約有 10% 的孩子 被診斷出各種症狀 結果一律被稱為注意力不足障礙 (ADD)
currently:adv.当前;一般地; diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) attention deficit disorder:n.注意(缺陷)障碍(伴多动);儿童多动症;
ADHD. I'm not saying there's no such thing. 或 注意力不足過動症 (ADHD)我不是說這種病不存在
I just don't believe it's an epidemic like this. 但我不相信會如此盛行
epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的;
If you sit kids down, hour after hour, doing low-grade clerical work, don't be surprised if they start to fidget , you know? 如果讓孩子坐好幾小時 不用頭腦,只是機械性抄寫 坐不住是很正常的
low-grade:adj.低级的;品质低劣的; clerical:adj.书记的;牧师的;办事员的;n.牧师; fidget:vi.烦躁;坐立不安;玩弄;n.烦躁;坐立不安;烦躁不安的人;vt.使不安;使烦乱;
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑聲)(掌聲)
Children are not, for the most part , suffering from a psychological condition. 大多數的孩子 並沒有心理問題
for the most part:adv.在极大程度上,多半; psychological:adj.心理的;心理学的;精神上的;
They're suffering from childhood . (Laughter) 只是因為童年而受煎熬 (笑聲)
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
And I know this because I spent my early life as a child. I went through the whole thing. 我知道,因為我也經歷過童年 而且是完整經歷過
Kids prosper best with a broad curriculum that celebrates their various talents, not just a small range of them. 孩子要茁壯,該有廣泛課程 開發他們不同的天分 而不是只有其中幾科
prosper:v.繁荣;成功;发达;兴旺; curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
And by the way , the arts aren't just important because they improve math scores. 順帶一提,藝術的重要性 不是數學可以考高分
by the way:顺便说一下;
They're important because they speak to parts of children's being which are otherwise untouched . 而在於可和孩子一些 本來碰觸不到的部分對話
untouched:adj.未受影响的;未改变的;未触动过的;不受感动的;
The second, thank you — (Applause) 第二項…謝謝… (掌聲)
The second principle that drives human life flourishing is curiosity . 要活得精彩,第二項法則是: 好奇心
flourishing:adj.繁荣的;繁茂的;v.繁荣;兴旺;茁壮成长;(flourish的现在分词) curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
If you can light the spark of curiosity in a child, they will learn without any further assistance, very often. 如果你能激發孩子的好奇心 通常不用幫忙,他就會主動學習
spark:n.火花;电火花;火星;活力;v.引发;触发;冒火花;飞火星;
Children are natural learners. 孩子天生就會學習
It's a real achievement to put that particular ability out, or to stifle it. 無論是激發或扼殺這項能力 都會產生巨大影響
stifle:vt.扼杀; vi.窒息; n.(马等的)后膝关节; (马等的)[动]后膝关节病;
Curiosity is the engine of achievement. 好奇心是成就的火車頭
Now the reason I say this is because one of the effects of the current culture here, if I can say so, has been to de-professionalize teachers. 我會這麼說是因為 我大膽的說,當前文化的影響之一 是剝奪了教師的專業性
There is no system in the world or any school in the country that is better than its teachers. 世界上沒有哪個教育體系的品質、 沒有哪個學校的品質, 能超過其教師的品質
Teachers are the lifeblood of the success of schools. 教師是學校成功的關鍵
lifeblood:n.生机的根源;生命必须的血液;命脉;命根子;
But teaching is a creative profession . 教書是需要創造力的職業
creative:adj.创造性的; profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;
Teaching, properly conceived , is not a delivery system. 好的老師不只是傳遞知識
conceived:v.构思;设想;(conceive的过去式); delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送;
You know, you're not there just to pass on received information. 不只是把收到的資訊傳下去
Great teachers do that, but what great teachers also do is mentor , stimulate , provoke , engage. 好的老師不但傳授知識 更是良師益友 刺激、誘導、吸引
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导; stimulate:v.刺激;激发;促进;激励; provoke:vt.驱使;激怒;煽动;惹起;
You see, in the end, education is about learning. 歸根究柢,教育的核心是學生主動學習
If there's no learning going on, there's no education going on. 沒有學習 就沒有教育
And people can spend an awful lot of time discussing education without ever discussing learning. 人們花了太多時間 只談教育、不談學習
The whole point of education is to get people to learn. 教育的目的就是讓人主動學習
A friend of mine, an old friend -- actually very old, he's dead. (Laughter) 我有個朋友,老朋友-真的很老 已經死了 (笑聲)
That's as old as it gets, I'm afraid. 人最老也不過如此
But a wonderful guy he was, wonderful philosopher . 他是個了不起的人是個偉大的哲學家
philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人;
He used to talk about the difference between the task and achievement senses of verbs . 他曾談到,「進行」一件事 和「完成」一件事,意義大不相同
verbs:n.[语]动词(verb的复数);
You know, you can be engaged in the activity of something, but not really be achieving it, like dieting. It's a very good example, you know. 你可以進行著某件事 但沒有成果 像節食就是個很好的例子
engaged in:从事于;忙于;
There he is. He's dieting. Is he losing any weight? Not really. 他一直節食,體重有減輕嗎?沒有
Teaching is a word like that. 教學也是這樣
You can say, "There's Deborah, she's in room 34, she's teaching." 你可以說,「戴老師在教室教書」
But if nobody's learning anything, she may be engaged in the task of teaching but not actually fulfilling it. 但如果沒人學到東西 他就只是在「進行」教學 但沒有真正「完成」教學任務
fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词)
The role of a teacher is to facilitate learning. That's it. 教師的角色是促進學習,這是重點
facilitate:vt.促进;帮助;使容易;
And part of the problem is, I think, that the dominant culture of education has come to focus on not teaching and learning, but testing. 我認為部分問題在於 教育的主流文化重視的 不是教與學,而是考試
dominant:adj.显性的;占优势的;支配的,统治的;n.显性;
Now, testing is important. Standardized tests have a place. 考試很重要的,標準化測驗有必要
Standardized:adj.标准的; v.使合乎标准;
But they should not be the dominant culture of education. 但不該主導教育文化
They should be diagnostic . They should help. 考試應該是診斷、是輔助
diagnostic:adj.诊断的;特征的;n.诊断法;诊断结论;
(Applause) (掌聲)
If I go for a medical examination, 如果我參加體檢
I want some standardized tests. I do. 我當然也要做常規檢驗
You know, I want to know what my cholesterol level is compared to everybody else's on a standard scale . 我想知道我的膽固醇指數 在標準尺度下和他人的比較
cholesterol:n.[生化]胆固醇; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
I don't want to be told on some scale my doctor invented in the car. 我不想參考 我醫生發明的標準:
'"Your cholesterol is what I call Level Orange." 「你的膽固醇指數為橘色。」
'"Really? Is that good?""We don't know." 「是嗎?是好消息嗎?」「不知道。」
But all that should support learning. It shouldn't obstruct it, which of course it often does. 測驗應該是輔助、而非妨礙學習 可惜目前經常是妨礙
obstruct:vt.妨碍;阻塞;遮断;vi.阻塞;设障碍;
So in place of curiosity, what we have is a culture of compliance . 就好奇心而言 我們的教育文化要求服從
in place of:代替; compliance:n.顺从,服从;承诺;
Our children and teachers are encouraged to follow routine algorithms rather than to excite that power of imagination and curiosity. 鼓勵孩子和老師 遵守固定規則 而不是激發想像力和好奇心
imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
And the third principle is this: that human life is inherently creative. 第三項法則是: 人生的本質就是創造性
inherently:adv.内在地;固有地;天性地;
It's why we all have different résumés . 我們的經歷各不相同
résumés:n.简历;
We create our lives, and we can recreate them as we go through them. 我們創造自己的命運 我們經歷的同時,也在重新創造
recreate:vt.再现;再创造
It's the common currency of being a human being. 這是人類的共同價值
currency:n.货币;通货;
It's why human culture is so interesting and diverse and dynamic . 人類文化也因此多采多姿、 充滿活力
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的;
I mean, other animals may well have imaginations and creativity, but it's not so much in evidence , is it, as ours? 其他動物可能也有想像力 與創造力,但和人類相比 就沒那麼明顯
imaginations:n.[心理]想象力;空想;幻想物; in evidence:明显的;作为证据;
I mean, you may have a dog. 比方說你有隻狗
And your dog may get depressed . 得了憂鬱症
depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
You know, but it doesn't listen to Radiohead , does it? 但牠不會因此開始聽電台司令的歌吧?(Radiohead 樂團)
Radiohead:n.电台司令;收音机头(乐队组合名);
(Laughter) (笑聲)
And sit staring out the window with a bottle of Jack Daniels. 牠不會喝傑克丹尼威士忌,對窗外發呆 (Jack Daniels)
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑聲)
And you say, "Would you like to come for a walk?" 你如果說,「想出去走走嗎?」
He says, "No, I'm fine. 牠不會說,「不,我沒事,
You go. I'll wait. But take pictures." 去吧,我要靜一靜,記得拍點照片。」
We all create our own lives through this restless process of imagining alternatives and possibilities, and what one of the roles of education is to awaken and develop these powers of creativity. 我們經由不斷變化的過程創造人生 不斷想像有哪些選擇、哪些可能 教育目的之一 就是喚醒並發展創造力
restless:adj.焦躁不安的;不安宁的;得不到满足的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; alternatives:n.可供选择的事物;(alternative的复数) awaken:v.唤醒;唤起;觉醒;醒来;意识到;
Instead, what we have is a culture of standardization . 但現在教育反而走向標準化
standardization:n.标准化;[数]规格化;校准;
Now, it doesn't have to be that way. It really doesn't. 不該是這樣,真的不應該
Finland regularly comes out on top in math, science and reading. 芬蘭學生在全球名列前茅 不論數學、科學、或閱讀
regularly:adv.经常地;有规律地;定期的
Now, we only know that's what they do well at because that's all that's being tested currently. 我們只知道他們擅長這些科目 因為現在只考了這幾科
That's one of the problems of the test. 這就是測驗的問題之一
They don't look for other things that matter just as much. 你無法找出同樣重要的其他因素
The thing about work in Finland is this: they don't obsess about those disciplines. 芬蘭所作的努力是這樣的: 他們不只重視這幾科
obsess:v.迷住,缠住;使…着迷;使…困扰;
They have a very broad approach to education which includes humanities, physical education, the arts. 他們的教育範圍很廣 包括人文、體育、藝術
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
Second, there is no standardized testing in Finland. 其次,芬蘭沒有標準化考試
I mean, there's a bit, but it's not what gets people up in the morning. 當然有些考試 但用意不是要學生早起晨讀
It's not what keeps them at their desks. 不是要把學生綁在書桌前
And the third thing, and I was at a meeting recently with some people from Finland, actual Finnish people, and somebody from the American system was saying to the people in Finland, "What do you do about the dropout rate in Finland?" 第三,最近我參加了一個會議 有邀請芬蘭人、真正芬蘭來的人 有位美國教育體系的人 問芬蘭人: 「芬蘭的輟學率多高?」
recently:adv.最近;新近;
And they all looked a bit bemused , and said, "Well, we don't have one. 芬蘭人呆住了,說: 「我們一個輟學生都沒有。
bemused:adj.困惑的;发呆的;v.使发呆(bemuse的过去式和过去分词);
Why would you drop out? 為什麼要輟學呢?
If people are in trouble, we get to them quite quickly and help them and we support them." 學生有困難,我們很快會發現, 並幫助他們、支持他們。」
Now people always say, "Well, you know, you can't compare Finland to America." 有人會說: 「不能拿芬蘭和美國比。」
No. I think there's a population of around five million in Finland. 不,芬蘭人口 大約只有 500 萬
But you can compare it to a state in America. 但你可拿芬蘭和美國一州相比
Many states in America have fewer people in them than that. 美國許多州人口還沒芬蘭多
I mean, I've been to some states in America and I was the only person there. (Laughter) 我去過美國的一些州 就只有我一個人(笑聲)
Really. Really. I was asked to lock up when I left. 真的,真的還有人叫我走的時候要鎖門
(Laughter) (笑聲)
But what all the high-performing systems in the world do is currently what is not evident , sadly, across the systems in America -- I mean, as a whole . 全球許多優秀教育體系的做法 在美國很難看到,很可惜 我是指美國整體而言
evident:adj.明显的;明白的; as a whole:总的来说;
One is this: They individualize teaching and learning. 做法之一是:教學與學習個人化
individualize:vt.赋予个性;个别处理;使适应个别需要;
They recognize that it's students who are learning and the system has to engage them, their curiosity, their individuality , and their creativity. 他們認為,學生是學習的主體 教育體系應該吸引學生 重視好奇心、個別性、創造力
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; individuality:n.个性;个人;个人特征;个人的嗜好(通常复数);
That's how you get them to learn. 才能讓學生想要學習
The second is that they attribute a very high status to the teaching profession. 第二種做法是: 給教師崇高的地位
attribute:n.属性;象征;v.把…归因于;认为…属于;认为某人(某物)具有某种特性; status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
They recognize that you can't improve education if you don't pick great people to teach and if you don't keep giving them constant support and professional development. 他們認為教育不可能改善 除非挑選優秀人才教書、 除非給老師不斷支持、 以及專業發展機會
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
Investing in professional development is not a cost. 老師的專業發展不是花費
Investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
It's an investment , and every other country that's succeeding well knows that, whether it's Australia, Canada, South Korea, Singapore, 而是投資 每個成功的國家都清楚這點 不論澳洲、加拿大、韓國、新加坡、
investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
Hong Kong or Shanghai. They know that to be the case. 香港、上海。大家都清楚這點
And the third is, they devolve responsibility to the school level for getting the job done. 第三種做法是,下放教育的責任 到學校層級
devolve:vi.被移交;转让;vt.转移;移交;使滚下;衰落;
You see, there's a big difference here between going into a mode of command and control in education -- 這和我們教育 指揮與控制的模式差別很大
That's what happens in some systems. 有些教育體系
You know, central governments decide or state governments decide they know best and they're going to tell you what to do. 由中央政府決定 或由州政府決定 他們覺得自己最懂,因此發號施令
The trouble is that education doesn't go on in the committee rooms of our legislative buildings. 問題是,教育並不是在 立法機關的會議室進行的
committee:n.委员会; legislative:adj.立法的;有立法权的;n.立法权;立法机构;
It happens in classrooms and schools, and the people who do it are the teachers and the students, and if you remove their discretion , it stops working. 而是在教室和學校進行的 老師和學生是教育的主體 如果剝奪了他們的自主權就會產生問題
discretion:n.自由裁量权;谨慎;判断力;判定;考虑周到;
You have to put it back to the people. 必須把自主權還給他們
(Applause) (掌聲)
There is wonderful work happening in this country. 現在美國有些了不起的成就
But I have to say it's happening in spite of the dominant culture of education, not because of it. 但我不得不說 教育界的主導文化是這些成就的阻力 而非助力
in spite of:尽管;不管,不顾;
It's like people are sailing into a headwind all the time. 變成要不斷逆風航行
headwind:n.逆风;顶头风;
And the reason I think is this: that many of the current policies are based on mechanistic conceptions of education. 我認為原因在於 許多現行教育政策,是基於 把教育當作機器的觀念
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) mechanistic:adj.机械论的;机械学的; conceptions:[妇产]怀孕;概念;设想;开始(conception的复数形式);
It's like education is an industrial process that can be improved just by having better data, and somewhere in, I think, the back of the mind of some policy makers is this idea that 教育好像是工廠在生產 調整參數就可以改善 而我認為,這些政策的背後 制定者的想法是
industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; improved:adj.改良的:v.改进:改善(improve的过去分词和过去式) policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
if we fine-tune it well enough, if we just get it right, it will all hum along perfectly into the future. 只要參數調得夠好,就能成功 就能完美航向未來
fine-tune:vt.调整;使有规则;对进行微调;
It won't, and it never did. 不可能,從來都沒有過
The point is that education is not a mechanical system. 關鍵在於,教育不是機械的系統
mechanical:adj.机械的;力学的;呆板的;无意识的;手工操作的;
It's a human system. It's about people, people who either do want to learn or don't want to learn. 而是人的系統,核心在人 有人想學習、有人不想
Every student who drops out of school has a reason for it which is rooted in their own biography . 每個輟學的孩子,背後都有原因 可能來自他個人經歷
biography:n.传记;档案;个人简介;
They may find it boring . They may find it irrelevant . 可能覺得無聊、覺得無關緊要
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词) irrelevant:adj.不相干的;不切题的;
They may find that it's at odds with the life they're living outside of school. 可能覺得學習 和校外現實生活有衝突
odds:n.几率;胜算;不平等;差别;
There are trends , but the stories are always unique . 原因類似,但背後故事個個不同
trends:n.趋势;倾向;动态;动向;(trend的第三人称单数和复数) unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
I was at a meeting recently in Los Angeles of -- they're called alternative education programs. 我最近在洛杉磯參加了一個會議 主題是:替代性教育課程
These are programs designed to get kids back into education. 目的在幫助孩子重返教育
They have certain common features. 課程有些共同特點
They're very personalized . 課程非常個人化
personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式)
They have strong support for the teachers, close links with the community and a broad and diverse curriculum, and often programs which involve students outside school as well as inside school. 對教師強力支持 與社區緊密聯繫 課程廣泛多樣 有些課程包括了 外校學生、本校學生
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
And they work. 這些課程確實有效
What's interesting to me is, these are called "alternative education." 我覺得最有趣的一點是 課程名稱叫「替代性教育」
You know? 你知道嗎?
And all the evidence from around the world is, if we all did that, there'd be no need for the alternative. 由全球得到的證據顯示 如果教育本來就是這樣就不需要替代性教育了
(Applause) (掌聲)
So I think we have to embrace a different metaphor . 我們必須擁抱另一種作法
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括; metaphor:n.暗喻,隐喻;比喻说法;
We have to recognize that it's a human system, and there are conditions under which people thrive , and conditions under which they don't. 必須認知,教育是人的系統 有些環境會使人成功 有些則不會
thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
We are after all organic creatures , and the culture of the school is absolutely essential . 我們本質上都是有機生物 學校的文化極為重要
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数) absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
Culture is an organic term, isn't it? 文化也是個有機的名詞,不是嗎?
Not far from where I live is a place called Death Valley. 我家附近有個地方叫死亡谷(Death Valley)
Death Valley is the hottest, driest place in America, and nothing grows there. 死亡谷是美國最熱最乾的地方 沒有生物可以生長
Nothing grows there because it doesn't rain. 沒有雨水,生物無法生長
Hence , Death Valley. 所以叫死亡谷
Hence:adv.因此;今后;
In the winter of 2004, it rained in Death Valley. 2004 年冬天,死亡谷下雨了
Seven inches of rain fell over a very short period. 短期內降雨 7 英寸 (約 180 公釐)
And in the spring of 2005, there was a phenomenon . 2005 年春天,奇蹟發生了
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
The whole floor of Death Valley was carpeted in flowers for a while . 死亡谷開滿了花朵 花朵盛開了一段時間
carpeted:vt.在…上铺地毯,把地毯铺在…上;斥责;n.地毯;地毯状覆盖物; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
What it proved is this: that Death Valley isn't dead. 這證明了:死亡谷並沒有死亡
It's dormant . 只是在沉睡
dormant:adj.休眠的;静止的;睡眠状态的;隐匿的;
Right beneath the surface are these seeds of possibility waiting for the right conditions to come about, and with organic systems, if the conditions are right, life is inevitable . It happens all the time. 地底下埋了各種可能性的種子 等待時機、迸發而出 對於有機系統,只要條件適合 生命的發生是必然的,總是這樣
beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方; inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
You take an area, a school, a district, you change the conditions, give people a different sense of possibility, a different set of expectations , a broader range of opportunities, 選個學科、選個學校、選個地區 改變條件,讓人覺得有不同可能、 不同期待、 更多機會、
expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
you cherish and value the relationships between teachers and learners, you offer people the discretion to be creative and to innovate in what they do, and schools that were once bereft spring to life. 珍惜並重視師生關係 給予創造力的自主權 讓每個人都能創新 學校就能起死回生
cherish:v.珍爱;怀有(感情等);抱有(希望等); innovate:vi.创新;改革;革新;vt.改变;创立;创始;引人; bereft:adj.丧失的;被剥夺的;失去亲人的;v.失去…的(bereave的过去式);
Great leaders know that. 偉大的領導人都清楚
The real role of leadership in education -- and I think it's true at the national level, the state level, at the school level -- is not and should not be command and control. 教育界領導者的真正角色- 不管在國家層級、各州層級、 學校層級… 都不是、也不該是指揮與控制
The real role of leadership is climate control, creating a climate of possibility. 領導者的真正角色應該是控制大環境 創造一種充滿可能性的環境
And if you do that, people will rise to it and achieve things that you completely did not anticipate and couldn't have expected. 若能如此,人們就會挺身而出 得到的成果,不但出乎意料 更會超出期望
anticipate:v.预期,期望;占先,抢先;提前使用;
There's a wonderful quote from Benjamin Franklin. 富蘭克林 (Benjamin Franklin)有句偉大的名言:
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用;
'"There are three sorts of people in the world: 「世界上有三種人:
Those who are immovable , people who don't get, they don't want to get it, they're going to do anything about it. 第一種人不知不覺, 他們不想改變、不願改變、 更阻礙改變;
immovable:adj.不动的;固定的;不改变的;
There are people who are movable, people who see the need for change and are prepared to listen to it. 第二種人後知後覺, 他們知道必須改變, 並樂觀其成;
And there are people who move, people who make things happen." 第三種人知覺而動, 他們造成改變。」
And if we can encourage more people, that will be a movement. 如果我們可以激勵更多人 就可以形成運動
And if the movement is strong enough, that's, in the best sense of the word, a revolution . 如果聲勢夠大 就能成為革命
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
And that's what we need. 這正是我們需要的
Thank you very much. 謝謝大家!
(Applause) (掌聲)
Thank you very much. (Applause) 非常感謝!(掌聲)