返回首页

SirKenRobinson_2010-_展开学习革命!_

I was here four years ago, and I remember, at the time, that the talks weren't put online; 4年前我站在这里, 我记得在那个时候, 演讲不是放在网上;
I think they were given to TEDsters in a box, a box set of DVDs, which they put on their shelves, where they are now. 我想演讲是放在盒子里的送到TEDsters(TED的出席者)的手上, 一整盒子的DVD, TEDsters把它们放到书架上,它们现在应该还被搁在那。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And actually Chris called me a week after I'd given my talk and he said, "We're going to start putting them online. 事实上,Chris(克里斯)在我演讲后的1个礼拜, 打电话给我, 说:“我们准备把它们放到网上。
Can we put yours online?" And I said, "Sure." 能把你的也放到网上吗?” 我说:“当然。”
And four years later, as I said , it's been seen by four ... 4年以后, 就像我说的,已经被4 ...
as I said:正如我所说的
Well, it's been downloaded four million times. 嗯,它已经被下载了4百万次。
So I suppose you could multiply that by 20 or something to get the number of people who've seen it. 因此,我推断,将它乘以20或者其它数字, 你就知道有多少人看过它了。
suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想: multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的;
And as Chris says, there is a hunger for videos of me. 就像Chris(克里斯)说的,人们对我的视频 相当感兴趣。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
... don't you feel? 难道你们不这样认为吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
So, this whole event has been an elaborate build-up to me doing another one for you, so here it is. 因此,今天这个精心制作准备的, 就是为你们而量身订做的。
elaborate:adj.精心制作的;详尽的;煞费苦心的;v.精心制作;详细描述;变复杂; build-up:n.组成;逐渐增加或积累;堆起;adj.内建的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Al Gore spoke at the TED Conference I spoke at four years ago and talked about the climate crisis . Al Gore(爱·戈尔)在TED研讨会上 有过演讲,我4年前提到过他, 和气候危机。
Conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
And I referenced that at the end of my last talk. 在我的演讲的最后, 引用了他的话,
referenced:v.查阅;参考;给(书等)附参考资料;(reference的过去分词和过去式)
So I want to pick up from there because I only had 18 minutes, frankly. 所以我想我也从这开始, 因为我仅有18分钟,坦率的讲。
So, as I was saying... 我说过...
(Laughter) (笑声)
You see, he's right. 你看,他是正确的。
I mean, there is a major climate crisis, obviously. 我是说,严重的气候危机是的确存在的,很显然。
And I think if people don't believe it, they should get out more. 我认为如果你不相信它,你就应该想法了解了解。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But I believe there's a second climate crisis, which is as severe , which has the same origins , and that we have to deal with with the same urgency . 但是,我相信还有个第二大气候危机, 它同样很严重 并且有着相同的起源, 我们不得不紧急处理它。
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; origins:n.起源; (origin的复数) urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事;
And I mean by this -- and you may say, by the way , "Look, I'm good. 我是说 -- 但是你也许说:“看,我很好。
by the way:顺便说一下;
I have one climate crisis; 我已经有一个气候危机;
I don't really need the second one." 我确实不需要第二个。”
But this is a crisis of, not natural resources, though I believe that's true, but a crisis of human resources . 但是,这是危机,与自然资源无关, 即使我相信自然资源确实存在危机, 那也是人力资源危机。
human resources:n.人力资源;(公司的)人事部;
I believe, fundamentally , as many speakers have said during the past few days, that we make very poor use of our talents. 我相信,从根本上说, 就像许多演讲者在过去的几天中说的, 我们完全没有利用 我们自己的天赋。
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
Very many people go through their whole lives having no real sense of what their talents may be, or if they have any to speak of. 许多人回顾他们的整个人生, 感受不到他们的天赋是什么, 或者他们从未提及到任何关于他们天赋的事。
I meet all kinds of people who don't think they're really good at anything. 我遇到过各种各样的人, 他们不认为他们擅长于任何一件事。
Actually, I kind of divide the world into two groups now. 事实上,我大概把世界分为两组。
Jeremy Bentham , the great utilitarian philosopher , once spiked this argument. Jeremy Bentham(杰里米·边沁),著名的实用主义哲学家, 曾经反对这个论点。
Bentham:n.边沁(英国哲学家); utilitarian:adj.功利的;功利主义的;实利的;n.功利主义者; philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人; spiked:adj.尖的;有穗的;加入标准的;
He said, "There are two types of people in this world, those who divide the world into two types and those who do not." 他说:“世上有两种人, 一种人把世界分为两种, 另一种则没有这样做。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
Well, I do. 我不得不承认,
(Laughter) (笑声)
I meet all kinds of people who don't enjoy what they do. 我遇到过各种各样的人, 他们不喜欢他们正在做的事。
They simply go through their lives getting on with it. 他们简单过着他们的生活, 只是对付。
They get no great pleasure from what they do. 他们从他们的工作中感受不到非常愉快。
They endure it, rather than enjoy it, and wait for the weekend. 他们忍受它,而不是享受它, 只等着周末。
endure:v.忍受;忍耐;持续;持久;
But I also meet people who love what they do and couldn't imagine doing anything else. 但是我也遇到过一些人, 他们深爱着他们的工作, 甚至不能想象他们在做别的事情。
If you said to them, "Don't do this anymore," they'd wonder what you were talking about. 如果你对他们说:“不要干这个了。” 他们很难理解你在说什么。
Because it isn't what they do, it's who they are. They say, "But this is me, you know. 因为这不是他们在干什么,这就是他们。他们说: “但是这是我,你知道。
It would be foolish for me to abandon this, because it speaks to my most authentic self." 如果我放弃这会让我显得很愚蠢,因为 这就是我最真实的自我写照。”
abandon:n.狂热;放任;v.遗弃;放弃; authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
And it's not true of enough people. 许多人不是这样的。
In fact, on the contrary , I think it's certainly a minority of people. 事实上,正相反,我认为 这无疑只是1小部分人。
on the contrary:正相反; minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的;
And I think there are many possible explanations for it. 我认为对此可能 有许多解释。
And high among them is education, because education, in a way, dislocates very many people from their natural talents. 其中最可能的解释 是教育, 因为教育在某种程度上, 使许多人与他们的 远离自身的天赋。
And human resources are like natural resources; they're often buried deep. 人力资源就像是自然资源; 它们通常埋藏地很深。
You have to go looking for them. 你必须去找寻它们。
They're not just lying around on the surface. 它们不会只是躺在地表。
You have to create the circumstances where they show themselves. 你不得不创造它们自我展现的环境。
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
And you might imagine education would be the way that happens. 你或许认为教育 是让它们发生的氛围。
But too often, it's not. 但是,许多时候,不是的。
Every education system in the world is being reformed at the moment. 世界上每1个教育系统 都是被改革过的。
reformed:adj.改革过的;新教的;v.改革(reform的过去分词和过去式);
And it's not enough. 这是不足够的。
Reform is no use anymore, because that's simply improving a broken model. 改革不再具体价值, 因为它只简单的改进1个已破碎的模式。
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
What we need -- and the word's been used many times during the course of the past few days -- is not evolution, but a revolution in education. 我们需要的是 -- 这个词在过去的几天里,已经被用过很多遍 -- 不是进化论, 而是教育革命。
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
This has to be transformed into something else. 它一定要被转换成 其它的形式。
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
(Applause) (掌声)
One of the real challenges is to innovate fundamentally in education. 其中最艰巨的挑战 是对教育体系 的彻底改革。
innovate:vi.创新;改革;革新;vt.改变;创立;创始;引人;
Innovation is hard because it means doing something that people don't find very easy for the most part . 改革是艰辛的, 因为它意味着去干 人们在大多数情况下不是很容易去干的事情。
Innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; for the most part:adv.在极大程度上,多半;
It means challenging what we take for granted , things that we think are obvious . 它意味着实实在在的挑战 我们认为是明显的食物。
take for granted:认为…理所当然; obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
The great problem for reform or transformation is the tyranny of common sense -- things that people think, "Well, it can't be done any other way because that's the way it's done." 重整形态或者改革中 最大的问题 是社会常识的专政统治, 人们认为, “事情是不能用其它方法做的,因为他们是用这种方法做的。”
transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革; tyranny:n.暴政;专横;严酷;残暴的行为(需用复数); common sense:adj.常识的;有生活经验得来的;
I came across a great quote recently from Abraham Lincoln, who I thought you'd be pleased to have quoted at this point. 我突然想起了Abraham Lincoln(亚伯拉罕·林肯)的经典句子, 我想他一定高兴他的句子用到了这里。
recently:adv.最近;新近; quoted:v.引用;引述;举例说明;开价;(quote的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
He said this in December 1862 to the second annual meeting of Congress . 他在1862年12月 第二届年度会议中。
annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的; Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交;
I ought to explain that I have no idea what was happening at the time. 我解释一下,对于当时发生了什么,我完全不知道。
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
We don't teach American history in Britain. 我们在英国不教美国历史。
(Laughter) (笑声)
We suppress it. You know, this is our policy . 我们抑制它,你知道,这是我们的政策。
suppress:vt.抑制;镇压;废止; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So, no doubt, something fascinating was happening in December 1862, which the Americans among us will be aware of. 因为,毋庸置疑,一件有吸引力的事情在1862年12月发生了, 我们中的美国人 将会知道我说的。
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
But he said this: "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. 他说到: “平静过去 的教条 和暴风雨的现代是不相匹的。
dogmas:n.教条(定理;武断的意见); inadequate:adj.不充分的,不适当的; stormy:adj.暴风雨的;猛烈的;暴躁的;
The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion." 时机 被艰难的推得很高, 我们必须和时机一起进步。”
piled:v.堆放;叠放;放置;装入;拥挤;(pile的过去分词和过去式)
I love that. 我喜欢这句话。
Not rise to it, rise with it. 不是为它进步,而是与时俱进。
'"As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew 我们的事例是新的, 我们必须重新思考, 重新行动。
anew:重新,再
We must disenthrall ourselves and then we shall save our country." 我们必须解放我们自己, 然后才能拯救我们的国家。”
disenthrall:vt.释放;解放;
I love that word, "disenthrall." 我喜欢这个词“解放”
You know what it means? 你知道它的意义吗?
That there are ideas that all of us are enthralled to, which we simply take for granted as the natural order of things, the way things are. 我们所有人被解放到这些想法, 我们简单的理所当然的接受它, 就像自然的事物,就是这样。
enthralled:adj.被迷住的;v.迷住;奴役;吸引住;(enthral的过去分词)
And many of our ideas have been formed, not to meet the circumstances of this century, but to cope with the circumstances of previous centuries. 许多我们的想法 已经成型了,它们是不能和这个世纪的客观环境相融合的。 只是对付上个世纪的客观环境。
cope:v.处理;n.大圆衣; previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
But our minds are still hypnotized by them. 但是我们的想法仍旧被它催眠者。
hypnotized:对…施催眠术(hypnotize的过去式和过去分词);
And we have to disenthrall ourselves of some of them. 我们不得不从它们中的一些中解放出来。
Now, doing this is easier said than done . 真正说是比做到容易。
easier said than done:说起来容易做起来难;
It's very hard to know, by the way, what it is you take for granted. 很难知道,随便说一下,你认为什么是理所当然的。
And the reason is that you take it for granted . 还有,为什么你认为它是理所当然的。
take it for granted:认为理所当然;想当然;
So let me ask you something that you may take for granted. 让我问你一些问题,你可能认为是理所当然的。
How many of you here are over the age of 25? 在座的有多少人是25岁以上?
That's not what I think you take for granted. 这不是我认为你是理所当然的。
I'm sure you're familiar with that already. 我确信你很熟悉这个。
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
Are there any people here under the age of 25? 有人小于25岁吗?
under the age of:在年龄之下;16岁以下;
Great. Now, those over 25, could you put your hands up if you're wearing a wristwatch ? 很好,那些大于25岁的, 如果你带一块腕表把你的手举起来。
wristwatch:n.手表;
Now that's a great deal of us, isn't it? 腕表对于我们很有用,不是吗?
a great deal of:大量;
Ask a room full of teenagers the same thing. 同样问题问一屋子十几岁的年轻人。
Teenagers do not wear wristwatches . 年轻人不带腕表。
wristwatches:n.手表;
I don't mean they can't or they're not allowed to, they just often choose not to. 我不是说他们不能或者他们不许, 他们只是常常选择不带。
And the reason is, you see, that we were brought up in a pre-digital culture, those of us over 25. 原因是,你看,我们这些25岁以上的, 是在数字时代前的文化中养育大的,。
And so for us, if you want to know the time, you have to wear something to tell it. 因为对于我们,如果你想要知道时间, 你不得不带什么告诉你。
Kids now live in a world which is digitized , and the time, for them, is everywhere. 孩子们现在生活在数字时代, 时间对于他们来讲,到处都是。
digitized:adj.数字化的;v.使数字化(digitize的过去分词);
They see no reason to do this. 他们不理解为什么带手表。
And, by the way, you don't need to do it either; it's just that you've always done it, and you carry on doing it. 顺便说一句,你同样也不需要; 仅仅是因为你习惯了,你就继续做下去。
My daughter never wears a watch, my daughter Kate, who's 20. 我女儿从不带手表,我女儿Kate(凯特)20岁。
She doesn't see the point. 她看不到手表的重要性。
As she says, "It's a single function device ." 她说:“这是单一功能装置。”
device:n.装置;策略;图案;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"Like, how lame is that?" 就像它是多蹩脚的。
lame:adj.瘸的; n.(金属)薄板; v.使残废;
And I say, "No, no, it tells the date as well." 我说:“不不,它同样也显示时间。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"It has multiple functions." “它有多重功能。”
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
But you see, there are things we're enthralled to in education. 但是,你看,这就是我们被教育束搏的事情。
Let me give you a couple of examples. 让我再举些例子。
One of them is the idea of linearity , that it starts here, and you go through a track , and if you do everything right, you will end up set for the rest of your life. 它们中的一个是线性想法。 从这里开始,你在一个轨道上前进, 如果你做对每件事,你就到达 你后半生想要的生活。
linearity:n.线性;线性度;直线性; track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
Everybody who's spoken at TED has told us implicitly , or sometimes explicitly , a different story, that life is not linear, it's organic . 每个在TED演讲的人,含蓄的告诉我们, 有时是明确的,通过不同的故事, 生活不是线性的,它是有机的。
implicitly:adv.含蓄地;暗中地; explicitly:adv.明确地;明白地; organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体;
We create our lives symbiotically as we explore our talents in relation to the circumstances they help to create for us. 我们创造我们共同的生活, 就像我们发觉我们的天赋, 和天赋帮助我们创造自我的关系。
symbiotically:adv.symbiotic的变形adj.[生物学]共生的[亦作symbiotical]; explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
But you know, we have become obsessed with this linear narrative . 但是你知道,我们变得对这个线性故事 很著迷。
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词) narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的;
And probably the pinnacle for education is getting into college. 可能是教育的顶峰 是被大学录取。
pinnacle:n.高峰;小尖塔;尖峰;极点;vt.造小尖塔;置于尖顶上;置于高处;
I think we are obsessed with getting people to college, certain sorts of college. 我认为我们一门心思的让人们进入大学, 的确有些大学。
I don't mean you shouldn't go to college, but not everybody needs to go, and not everybody needs to go now. 我不是说你不应该上大学,但是不是每个人都需要上大学, 尤其是现在。
Maybe they go later, not right away . 他们可以迟一点上大学,不一定马上。
right away:立刻;
And I was up in San Francisco a while ago doing a book signing. 我前一阵子在San Francisco(圣·弗朗西斯科) 举行新书签名会。
There was this guy buying a book, he was in his 30s. 其中有一个30岁左右的男人买我的书。
And I said, "What do you do?" 我问到:“你是干什么的?”
And he said, "I'm a fireman ." 他说:“我是消防员。”
fireman:n.消防队员
And I said, "How long have you been a fireman?" 我又问:“你当消防员多久了?”
He said, "Always, I've always been a fireman." 他说:“一辈子,我一直就是个消防员。”
And I said, "Well, when did you decide?" 我说:“哦,你什么时候决定的?”
He said, "As a kid." He said, "Actually, it was a problem for me at school, because at school, everybody wanted to be a fireman." 他说:“很小的时候。” 他说:“事实上,我在中学时遇到了困难, 因为学校里的每个人都想成为消防员。”
He said, "But I wanted to be a fireman." 他说:“我想成为消防员。”
And he said, "When I got to the senior year of school, my teachers didn't take it seriously. 他又说:“当我的年级高的时候, 我的老师们不以为然。
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
This one teacher didn't take it seriously. 有一个老师,
He said I was throwing my life away if that's all I chose to do with it, that I should go to college, I should become a professional person, that I had great potential , and I was wasting my talent to do that." 他说如果这是我全部的选择, 我正在荒废我的青春。 我应该上大学,成为1个职业白领, 我有很大的潜能, 我正在浪费我的天赋。”
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
And he said, "It was humiliating because he said it in front of the whole class, and I really felt dreadful . 他又说:“这使我感到羞辱,因为 那个老师在全班面前说了此话,我感到糟糕透了。
humiliating:adj.让人出丑的;丢脸的;v.羞辱;使丧失尊严;(humiliate的现在分词) dreadful:adj.可怕的;糟透的,令人不快的;
But it's what I wanted, and as soon as I left school, 但是这就是我想要的,从中学毕业后,
as soon as:一…就;
I applied to the fire service and I was accepted." 我马上申请了消防工作,并且被录取了。”
applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式) fire service:un.消防队;
And he said, "You know, I was thinking about that guy recently, just a few minutes ago when you were speaking, about this teacher," 他说:“你知道,在你问我的几秒钟前, 我突然想起了那个老师。”
he said, "because six months ago, 他说:“因为6个月前,
I saved his life." 我挽救了他的生命。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
He said, "He was in a car wreck , and I pulled him out, gave him CPR, and I saved his wife's life as well." 他说:“他在一辆严重损坏的汽车里, 我把他拉了出来,给他做了心脏起博复苏, 我同时也救了他的妻子。”
wreck:n.严重损毁人或物;沉船;v.破坏;损坏;毁掉;使遇难;
He said, "I think he thinks better of me now." 他说:“我认为他现在对我的想法要好多了。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
You know, to me, human communities depend upon a diversity of talent, not a singular conception of ability. 你知道,对于我来说, 人类社会取决于 天赋的多样性, 不是单一能力的构架。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) depend upon:依赖;取决于; diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: singular:adj.单数的;单一的;非凡的;异常的;n.单数; conception:n.怀孕;概念;设想;开始;
And at the heart of our challenges -- 在我们挑战的中心 --
(Applause) (掌声)
At the heart of the challenge is to reconstitute our sense of ability and of intelligence . 在我们挑战的中心 是重新组建我们的能力 和智慧。
reconstitute:v.重组;重新设立;使(脱水食物等)恢复原状;使还原; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报;
This linearity thing is a problem. 线性是一个问题。
When I arrived in L.A. 当我9年前
about nine years ago, 来到L.A.(洛杉矶)的时候,
I came across a policy statement , very well-intentioned , which said, "College begins in kindergarten ." 我对一个观点有很深的印象, 非常大的意向, 是:“大学起源于幼儿园。”
statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; well-intentioned:adj.好意的,好心的;出于善意的; kindergarten:n.幼儿园;
No, it doesn't. 不,不是这样的。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It doesn't. 不是这样的。
If we had time, I could go into this, but we don't. 如果我有时间,我会在这里详细讲,但是我没有。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Kindergarten begins in kindergarten. 幼儿园起源于幼儿园。
(Laughter) (笑声)
A friend of mine once said, "You know, a three year-old is not half a six year-old." 我的一个朋友曾经说过: ”你知道,1个3岁的不是1个6岁的一半。“
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
They're three. 他们三岁。
But as we just heard in this last session , there's such competition now to get to kindergarten, to get to the right kindergarten, that people are being interviewed for it at three. 就像我们上边听到的那个例子, 上幼儿园的竞争很大, 尤其是上对幼儿园, 3岁就要开始面试。
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会; competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛; interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式)
Kids sitting in front of unimpressed panels , you know, with their resumes , 孩子们坐在无聊的专家咨询组前, 你知道,带着他们的简历。
unimpressed:adj.无印记的(没有印象的);未受感动的; panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式); resumes:n.简历; v.恢复(resume的第三人称单数形式);
(Laughter) (笑声)
flipping through and saying, "Well, this is it?" 草草翻阅,然后说:“就这些?”
flipping:v.该死; v.(使)快速翻转; (flip的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
'"You've been around for 36 months, and this is it?" “你已经饱经世故36个月了,就这些?”
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"You've achieved nothing, commit . “你没有完成任何事情,这是我的意见。
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处;
Spent the first six months breastfeeding , the way I can see it." 母乳喂养了6个月,这是我能看到的。”
breastfeeding:n.母乳哺育;v.用母乳喂养(breastfeed的现在分词);
(Laughter) (笑声)
See, it's outrageous as a conception, but it attracts people. 看,这个构思是无法容忍的,但是它吸引着我们。
outrageous:adj.粗暴的;可恶的;令人吃惊的;
The other big issue is conformity . 另一个很大的问题是循规蹈矩。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; conformity:n.一致,适合;符合;相似;
We have built our education systems on the model of fast food . 我们把我们的教育系统 建立在快餐的基础上。
fast food:adj.供应快餐的;n.快餐食品;
This is something Jamie Oliver talked about the other day . Jamie Oliver(杰米·奥利弗)曾经提到这个问题。
the other day:不久前某一天;几天以前;
You know there are two models of quality assurance in catering . 你知道高质量保证的饮食业有两种形态。
quality assurance:n.质量保证; catering:n.饮食服务,酒席承办;v.提供饮食,承办酒席;(cater的现在分词)
One is fast food, where everything is standardized . 一是快餐, 全部标准化。
standardized:adj.标准的; v.使合乎标准;
The other are things like Zagat and Michelin restaurants, where everything is not standardized, they're customized to local circumstances. 二是像Zagat(扎格特)和Michelin(米什兰)饭店, 全不标准化, 它们制定标准满足当地情况。
Michelin:主要经营轮胎橡胶;米其林(财富500强公司之一,总部所在地法国); customized:v.订制,订做,改制;(customize的过去分词和过去式)
And we have sold ourselves into a fast food model of education. 我们出让我们自己,建立快餐模式的教育。
And it's impoverishing our spirit and our energies as much as fast food is depleting our physical bodies. 它正在耗尽我们的精神和能量, 就像快餐正在耗尽我们物理身体资源。
depleting:v.用尽,耗尽;使减少(deplete的ing形式); physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
(Applause) (掌声)
I think we have to recognize a couple of things here. 我认为我们在这里不得不认识到一些事情。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
One is that human talent is tremendously diverse . 其一是人类天赋有巨大的多样性。
tremendously:adv.非常地;可怕地;惊人地; diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的;
People have very different aptitudes . 人们有非常不同的天资。
aptitudes:n.适当;倾向;资质(aptitude的复数);
I worked out recently that 我最近才发觉一件事:
I was given a guitar as a kid at about the same time Eric Clapton got his first guitar. 我在很小的时候得到了一个吉他, 大概是Eric Clapton(埃里克·克莱普顿)得到他的第一个吉他的时候。
You know, it worked out for Eric, that's all I'm saying. 你知道,Eric(埃里克)成功了,我仅想说这个。
(Laughter) (笑声)
In a way, it did not for me. 在某种方式上,它在我身上不起作用。
I could not get this thing to work no matter how often or how hard I blew into it. 我不能使吉他工作, 无论多经常或是多努力的弹它。
It just wouldn't work. 它就是不工作。
But it's not only about that. 不仅仅是这样。
It's about passion . 是热情所在。
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
Often, people are good at things they don't really care for. 通常,人们善于去做他们不真正关心的事情。
It's about passion, and what excites our spirit and our energy. 是热情, 使我们精力和能量兴奋。
And if you're doing the thing that you love to do, that you're good at, time takes a different course entirely. 如果你正在做你热爱的事情,证明你善于做这些事情, 时间花在不同的课程中。
My wife's just finished writing a novel , and I think it's a great book, but she disappears for hours on end. 我妻子刚完成了一部小说, 我认为它是极好的书。 写这本书的结尾时,她消失了好几个小时。
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; disappears:v.消失;不见;消亡;失踪;丢失;(disappear的第三人称单数)
You know this, if you're doing something you love, an hour feels like five minutes. 你知道,如果你正在做你喜爱的事情, 1小时感觉就像5分钟。
If you're doing something that doesn't resonate with your spirit, five minutes feels like an hour. 如果你正在做不和你精神发生共鸣的事情, 5分钟就像是1小时。
resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
And the reason so many people are opting out of education is because it doesn't feed their spirit, it doesn't feed their energy or their passion. 许多人退出教育的原因 是教育对他们的精力起不到供给, 供给不到他们的精力和热情。
opting:v.选择;挑选;(opt的现在分词)
So I think we have to change metaphors . 因此,我认为我们不得不改变暗喻。
metaphors:n.隐喻(metaphor的复数形式);
We have to go from what is essentially an industrial model of education, a manufacturing model, which is based on linearity and conformity and batching people. 我们不得不从基于工业化的, 制造业的教育模式。 这个模式是基于线性的, 循规蹈矩的和批量生产的人们。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; manufacturing:n.制造业;工业;v.制造;生产(manufacture的现在分词);
We have to move to a model that is based more on principles of agriculture. 我们必须移到1个基于农业生产 原理的模式。
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
We have to recognize that human flourishing is not a mechanical process , it's an organic process. 我们必须认识到人类的蒸蒸日上 不是一个工业制造的过程, 是一个有机的过程。
flourishing:adj.繁荣的;繁茂的;v.繁荣;兴旺;茁壮成长;(flourish的现在分词) mechanical:adj.机械的;力学的;呆板的;无意识的;手工操作的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
And you cannot predict the outcome of human development; all you can do, like a farmer, is create the conditions under which they will begin to flourish. 而且你不能预计人类发展的结果; 所有你能做的,就像种庄稼的, 建造使它们 开始开花的条件。
predict:v.预报;预言;预告; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
So when we look at reforming education and transforming it, it isn't like cloning a system. 因此,当我们看重建和改变教育的形态, 它不是克隆一个系统。
reforming:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;(reform的现在分词) transforming:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);使改观;(transform的现在分词) cloning:n.克隆;v.无性繁殖(clone的现在分词);
There are great ones like KIPPs, it's a great system. 是像KIPPs,极好的系统。
There are many great models. 有许多极好的模式。
It's about customizing to your circumstances, and personalizing education to the people you're actually teaching. 是对你真正教的人们 客户化环境, 个人化教育。
customizing:n.定制;客户化;按用户要求制做;v.定做(customize的ing形式); personalizing:v.个体化(personalize的ing形式);
And doing that, I think is the answer to the future because it's not about scaling a new solution; it's about creating a movement in education in which people develop their own solutions, but with external support based on a personalized curriculum . 做这事,我认为 是对未来的回答。 因为它不是攀登一个新的解决办法; 是关于建立移动的教育, 其中人们开发他们自己的解决办法, 同时得到基于个人条件的外在支持。
scaling:n.缩放比例; v.剥落; external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的; personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式) curriculum:n.课程;总课程;
Now, in this room, there are people who represent extraordinary resources in business, in multimedia , in the internet. 现在,在这个房间, 有人代表着 商业中非凡的资源, 在多媒体,在互联网。
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的; multimedia:n.多媒体;adj.多媒体的;
These technologies , combined with the extraordinary talents of teachers, provide an opportunity to revolutionize education. 这些科技, 和教师卓越的天赋相结合, 提供了一个教育进化论的机会。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); revolutionize:vt.发动革命;彻底改革;宣传革命;vi.革命化;从事革命;
And I urge you to get involved in it because it's vital , not just to ourselves, but to the future of our children. 我鼓励你参与其中, 因为它是极重要的,不仅是对我们自身, 而是对我们孩子的未来。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的;
but we have to change from the industrial model to an agricultural model, where each school can be flourishing tomorrow. 但是我们必须从工业模式中解放, 变成农业模式, 当中,每个学校明天就能繁荣兴盛。
agricultural:adj.农业的;农艺的;
That's where children experience life. 它是孩子们的经验生活。
Or at home, if that's where they choose to be educated with their families or their friends. 或者在家,如果那是他们和他家人朋友 选择被教育的地方。
There's been a lot of talk about dreams over the course of this few days. 在过去的几天里, 有很多关于梦想的演讲。
And I wanted to just very quickly -- 我只想很快 --
I was very struck by Natalie Merchant's songs last night, recovering old poems. Natalie Merchant(娜塔莉·)的歌困在我的脑海里, 寻回久的诗歌。
Natalie:n.纳塔莉;[女名]女子名;
I wanted to read you a quick, very short poem from W.B. Yeats, who's someone you may know. 我想要读一个快的短的诗歌, 从W.B.Yeats(W.B.·叶芝),他是你可能知道的某个人。
He wrote this to his love, 他写给他的爱人,
Maud Gonne, and he was bewailing the fact that he couldn't really give her what he thought she wanted from him. Maud Gonne(昴德·冈昂), 他正在为事实痛苦, 他不能真的给她,他认为她想要的。
bewailing:v.悲悼;痛哭;哀叹;
And he says, "I've got something else, but it may not be for you." 他说:“我有一些另外的东西,但它并不是给你的。”
He says this: "Had I the heavens embroidered cloths, 他说: “天堂已经在衣服上刺绣了,
embroidered:v.刺绣;加以渲染(或润色);添枝加叶;(embroider的过去分词和过去式)
Enwrought with gold and silver light, 用金色 和银色的灯光,
silver:n.银; v.给…镀(或包)银; adj.银色的;
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths of night and light and the half-light , 蓝色的,暗淡的, 和黑色的衣服, 用夜色的灯光和半灯光,
dim:adj.暗淡的,昏暗的; v.使暗淡,使失去光泽; n.笨蛋,傻子; half-light:n.暗光;
I would spread the cloths under your feet; 我延伸衣服到你脚下;
But I, being poor, have only my dreams; 但是我,非常穷, 只有我的梦想;
I have spread my dreams under your feet; 我延伸我的梦想到你脚下;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." 轻轻的踩, 因为你正在踩我的梦想。“
Tread:n.踏;胎面;步态;鞋底;踏板;梯级;v.踏;踩;践踏;跳;踩出; softly:adv.温柔地;柔和地;柔软地;静静地;
And every day, everywhere, our children spread their dreams beneath our feet. 每天,每处, 我们的孩子延伸他们的梦想到你脚下。
beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方;
And we should tread softly. 我们应该轻轻的踩。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you very much. 非常感谢