|
|
SineadBurke_2017S-_为何在设计时应该考虑到所有人_
|
I want to give you a new perspective . |
我要给大家一个新视角。 |
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
|
That sounds grandiose , and it is. |
听起来很堂皇,的确是的。 |
grandiose:adj.宏伟的;堂皇的;浮夸的;宏大的;
|
I left Ireland yesterday morning. |
昨天早上我离开爱尔兰。 |
I traveled from Dublin to New York independently . |
我独自一人从都柏林飞到纽约。 |
Dublin:n.都柏林(爱尔兰共和国的首都); independently:adv.独立地;自立地;
|
But the design of an airport ,plane and terminal offers little independence when you're 105 and a half centimeters tall. |
然而机场、客机和航厦的设计 只能给一个身高 105.5 公分的人 丁点的独立自主。 |
airport:n.机场;航空港; terminal:n.终端;航站楼;终端机;航空终点站;adj.晚期的;不治的;致命的;患绝症的; independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神; centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数);
|
For Americans, that's 3' 5". |
对美国人来说,这等于 3 呎 5 吋。 |
I was whisked through the airport by airline assistants in a wheelchair . |
航空公司助理 给我推轮椅迅速穿越机场。 |
whisked:v.搅打,搅动;匆匆带走;迅速送走(whisk的过去分词和过去式) airline:n.航空公司; wheelchair:n.轮椅;
|
Now, I don't need to use a wheelchair, but the design of an airport and its lack of accessibility means that it's my only way to get through. |
我不需要使用轮椅, 但机场的设计 和那里缺乏无障碍设施, 意味这是我穿越机场的唯一途径。 |
accessibility:n.易接近;可亲;可以得到;
|
With my carry-on bag between my feet, |
我坐着轮椅,双腿夹着手提行李 |
carry-on bag:对登机的行李箱;随身行李;
|
I was wheeled through security, preclearance and I arrived at my boarding gate. |
经过安檢、出入境审查, 我到达了登机门。 |
I use the accessibility services in the airport because most of the terminal is just not designed with me in mind. |
我使用机场内的无障碍服务, 因为航厦大楼大部分地方 都不是为我着想而设计。 |
Take security, for example. |
就以安檢为例。 |
I'm not strong enough to lift my carry-on bag from the ground to the carousel . |
我不够力气从地面 举起手提行李放到输送带。 |
carousel:n.旋转木马;行李传送带;
|
I stand at eye level with it. |
输送带及至我站起时眼睛的高度。 |
eye level:n.视线高度,齐眼高度;
|
And those who work in that space for safety purposes cannot help me and cannot do it for me. |
基于安全理由,那里的工作人员 没法幫我、给我代劳。 |
Design inhibits my autonomy and my independence. |
设计抑制我的自主性和独立性。 |
inhibits:抑制;阻止; autonomy:n.自治,自治权;
|
But traveling at this size, it isn't all bad. |
但以这样的身型旅行并非全然糟糕。 |
The leg room in economy is like business class . |
经济舱的座位空间就像商务舱的。 |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; business class:n.商务舱;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I often forget that I'm a little person. |
我往往忘记自己是矮个子。 |
It's the physical environment and society that remind me. |
就是物理环境和社会提醒我。 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
Using a public bathroom is an excruciating experience. |
使用公厕是痛苦至极的经验。 |
excruciating:adj.折磨人的;极痛苦的;极坏的;v.折磨;使受酷刑;(excruciate的现在分词)
|
I walk into the cubicle but I can't reach the lock on the door. |
我走进厕所,却没法触及门上的锁。 |
cubicle:n.小卧室;小隔间;
|
I'm creative and resilient . |
我富有创意,能屈能伸。 |
creative:adj.创造性的; resilient:adj.弹回的,有弹力的;
|
I look around and see if there's a bin that I can turn upside down . |
我环顾四周查看有没有 可以让我倒转的垃圾桶。 |
turn upside down:使陷入混乱;完全颠倒;
|
Is it safe? |
这样做安全吗? |
Not really. |
不太安全。 |
Is it hygienic and sanitary ? |
这样做衞生和清洁吗? |
hygienic:adj.卫生的,保健的;卫生学的; sanitary:adj.卫生的,清洁的;n.公共厕所;
|
Definitely not. |
当然不是。 |
Definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
|
But the alternative is much worse. |
但另一个办法远远更糟。 |
alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
|
If that doesn't work, I use my phone. |
如果行不通,我就用电话。 |
It gives me an additional four- to six-inch reach, and I try to jam the lock closed with my iPhone. |
它让我的手臂延长 4 至 6 吋, 我就尝试用 iPhone 推门锁把门锁上。 |
additional:adj.附加的,额外的;
|
Now, I imagine that's not what Jony Ive had in mind when he designed the iPhone, but it works. |
现在我想像得到这并非强纳森.艾维 设计 iPhone 的原意, 但这却奏效。 |
The alternative is that I approach a stranger. |
另一办法就是我向陌生人请求。 |
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
I apologize profusely and I ask them to stand guard outside my cubicle door. |
我连番道歉, 要求她们站在厕所门外守候。 |
profusely:adv.丰富地;
|
They do and I emerge grateful but absolutely mortified , and hope that they didn't notice that I left the bathroom without washing my hands. |
她们照样去做, 我就心存感恩站起来, 但我感到非常尴尬, 希望她们没有察觉 我离开洗手间前没有洗手。 |
emerge:v.浮现;显现;暴露;露出真相; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; mortified:adj.感到屈辱的;惭愧的;v.使难堪;使羞愧;(mortify的过去分词和过去式)
|
I carry hand sanitizer with me every single day because the sink, soap dispenser , hand dryer and mirror are all out of my reach. |
我每天都带着干洗手, 因为洗手盆、给皂机、烘手机 和镜子对我都是高不可攀。 |
sanitizer:n.食品防腐剂;消毒杀菌剂(等于sanitiser); dispenser:n.药剂师;施与者;分配者;自动售货机; dryer:n.烘干机;[助剂]干燥剂;
|
Now, the accessible bathroom is somewhat of an option . |
现在无障碍洗手间有点儿差强人意。 |
accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
|
In this space, I can reach the lock on the door, the sink, the soap dispenser, the hand dryer and the mirror. |
在这个空间,我可以触及门锁、 洗手盆、给皂机、烘手机和镜子。 |
Yet, I cannot use the toilet. |
然而我还未能使用马桶。 |
It is deliberately designed higher so that wheelchair users can transfer across with ease. |
它是特意被设计成较高一点, 让轮椅使用者轻易转移到马桶上。 |
deliberately:adv.故意地;谨慎地;慎重地; transfer:n.转移;调任;调离;[体]转会球员;v.调任;调走;转学;转移;
|
This is a wonderful and necessary innovation , but in the design world, when we describe a new project or idea as accessible, what does that mean? |
这项创新是绝妙和必需的, 但在设计的领域里,当我们形容 一个新项目或想法是无障碍时, 这意味甚么呢? |
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
|
Who is it accessible to? |
它是对谁无障碍? |
And whose needs are not being accommodated for? |
谁的需要没有获得照顾? |
accommodated:v.使适应(accommodate的过去式及过去分词形式);安置;为…提供住宿;
|
Now, the bathroom is an example of where design impinges upon my dignity , but the physical environment impacts upon me in much more casual ways too, something as simple as ordering a cup of coffee. |
洗手间的设计就是 侵犯我尊严的一个例子, 但物理环境也是更不经意地影响我, 简单如点选一杯咖啡也影响我。 |
impinges:vi.撞击;侵犯;vt.撞击; dignity:n.尊严;高贵; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用;
|
Now, I'll admit it. |
现在我得承认 |
I drink far too much coffee. |
我实在喝了太多咖啡。 |
My order is a skinny vanilla latte , but I'm trying to wean myself off the syrup . |
我固定点的是脱脂奶香草拿铁, 但我正在尝试戒掉糖浆了。 |
skinny:adj.极瘦的;干瘦的;皮包骨的;紧身的;n.(不公开的)信息;内幕消息; latte:n.热牛奶咖啡,拿铁咖啡; wean:vt.使断奶;使断念;使放弃;n.(苏格兰)幼儿; syrup:n.糖浆,果汁;含药糖浆;
|
But the coffee shop , it's not designed well,at least not for me. |
然而咖啡店设计不佳, 至少对我来说。 |
coffee shop:na.咖啡店;(一般的)小餐馆;
|
Queuing , I'm standing beside the pastry cabinet and the barista calls for the next order. |
我站在糕点柜后排队时, 咖啡师召唤下一位客人点饮料。 |
Queuing:n.[数]排队;排队论;v.[数]排队(queue的现在分词); pastry:n.油酥点心;面粉糕饼; cabinet:n.内阁;储藏柜;陈列柜;adj.内阁的;小房间用的;玲珑的;细木工做的; barista:n.咖啡师;咖啡吧员;
|
'"Next, please!" they shout. |
「请下一位!」他们呼唤。 |
They can't see me. |
他们看不见我。 |
The person next to me in the queue points to my existence and everyone is embarrassed . |
队中站在我旁边的人指着我 以示我在,所有人都感到尴尬。 |
queue:n.行列;(存储的数据)队列;v.(人、车等)排队等候;(使)排队;列队等待; embarrassed:adj.尴尬的;窘迫的;v.使...局促不安;(embarrass的过去分词和过去式)
|
I order as quick as I can and I move along to collect my coffee. |
我尽快点饮料, 向前走去拿我那杯咖啡。 |
Now, think just for a second. |
现在试用一秒去想。 |
Where do they put it? |
他们把咖啡放在哪里? |
Up high and without a lid . |
放在高处,杯子没有封盖。 |
lid:n.盖子;(容器的)盖;vt.给…盖盖子;
|
Reaching up to collect a coffee that I have paid for is an incredibly dangerous experience. |
伸手去拿我付了钱买的咖啡 是一项异常危险的体验。 |
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
|
But design also impinges on the clothes that I want to wear. |
但设计也影响到我想穿的衣服。 |
I want garments that reflect my personality . |
我要衣服反映我的个性。 |
garments:n.[服装]服装,衣着(garment的复数); reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达; personality:n.性格;个性;人格;魅力;气质;名人;特色;
|
It's difficult to find in the childrenswear department. |
在童装部很难找到一件。 |
And often womenswear requires far too many alterations . |
女装往往需要太多修改。 |
womenswear:n.(尤用于商店)女式服装; alterations:n.改变;变更;服装修改(alteration的复数);
|
I want shoes that affect my maturity , professionalism and sophistication . |
我要鞋子体现我的成熟、 专業精神和丰富经验。 |
maturity:n.成熟;到期;完备; professionalism:n.专业主义;专家的地位;特性或方法; sophistication:n.复杂;诡辩;老于世故;有教养;
|
Instead, I'm offered sneakers with Velcro straps and light-up shoes. |
人们反而给我附有魔鬼毡的 运动鞋和发光运动鞋。 |
sneakers:n.胶底运动鞋(sneaker的复数形式); Velcro:n.维可牢(一种尼龙搭扣的商标名称); straps:n.[机]皮带(strap的复数); v.用带捆扎;
|
Now, I'm not totally opposed to light-up shoes. |
我不是完全反对发光运动鞋。 |
opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But design also impacts on such simple things,like sitting on a chair. |
然而设计也影响 诸如坐在椅子上这样简单的事情。 |
I cannot go from a standing to a seating position with grace . |
我总不能优雅地由直立转为坐下。 |
grace:n.优雅;恩惠;魅力;慈悲;v.使优美;
|
Due to the standards of design heights of chairs, |
由于座椅的高度设计标准, |
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
|
I have to crawl on my hands and knees just to get on top of it, whilst also being conscious that it might tip over at any stage. |
我要用双手和双膝才能爬到座椅上, 同时担心座椅可能随时倒下。 |
crawl:v.爬;匍匐行进;(昆虫)爬行;缓慢行进;n.爬泳;缓慢的速度;自由泳; whilst:conj.同时;时时,有时;当…的时候; conscious:adj.意识到的;故意的;神志清醒的; tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜;
|
But whilst design impacts on me whether it's a chair, a bathroom, a coffee shop, or clothes, |
虽然设计影响着我, 无论座椅、洗手间、咖啡店或衣服, |
I rely on and benefit from the kindness of strangers. |
我依靠着陌生人的善心而获益不少。 |
rely:vi.依靠;信赖;
|
But not everybody is so nice. |
然而并非每个人都这样好。 |
I'm reminded that I'm a little person when a stranger points, stares ,laughs,calls me a name, or takes a photograph of me. |
当陌生人指向我、瞪我、笑我、侮辱我 或给我拍照, 就提醒我还是矮个子。 |
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) stares:vi.凝视,盯着看;显眼;vt.凝视,盯着看;n.凝视;注视;
|
This happens almost every day. |
这种事几乎每天都发生。 |
With the rise of social media , it has given me an opportunity and a platform to have a voice as a blogger and as an activist , but it has also made me nervous that I might become a meme or a viral sensation ,all without my consent . |
社交媒体兴起使我有机会经营部落格 和成为活跃分子, 利用它作平台发声, 但也使我担心自己会在未经同意下 变成迷因或一夕爆红。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; blogger:n.写博客的人;博客使用者; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子; meme:n.大脑模仿病毒;文化基因;弥母; viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的; sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动; consent:vi.同意;赞成;答应;n.同意;(意见等的)一致;赞成;
|
So let's take a moment right now to make something very clear. |
现在就让我们花点时间 把事情弄得清清楚楚。 |
The word " midget " is a slur . |
「侏儒」这个词是蔑称。 |
midget:n.侏儒;极小者;adj.小型的; slur:v.诽谤;诋毁;污辱;连奏;n.诋毁;诽谤;污辱;连唱线;
|
It evolved from PT Barnum's era of circuses and freak shows. |
它是从巴纳姆时代的 马戏团和畸形秀演变而成。 |
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) circuses:n.马戏团;有趣但无意义的事(circus的复数); freak:n.怪人,怪事;畸形人;反复无常;adj.奇异的,反常的;
|
Society has evolved. |
社会已经变了。 |
So should our vocabulary. |
我们的语彙也要变了。 |
Language is a powerful tool. |
语言是一项强而有力的工具。 |
It does not just name our society. |
它不只给我们的社会命名。 |
It shapes it. |
它塑造社会。 |
I am incredibly proud to be a little person, to have inherited the condition of achondroplasia . |
我为因软骨发育不全症遗传 而成为矮个子感到非常自豪。 |
inherited:v.继承(金钱、财产等);接替(责任等);继任;(inherit的过去式和过去分词) achondroplasia:n.[医]软骨发育不全;
|
But I am most proud to be Sinead. |
但使我最自豪的是身为西尼德。 |
Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism . |
软骨发育不全症 是侏儒症最常见的形式。 |
dwarfism:n.[内科]侏儒症;矮小;
|
Achondroplasia translates as "without cartilage formation ." |
软骨发育不全症的拉丁语源 译作「没有软骨形成」。 |
cartilage:n.软骨; formation:n.形成;编队;组成;队形;
|
I have short limbs and achondroplastic facial features,my forehead and my nose. |
我四肢短小,面部特征如额头和 鼻子的软骨发育不全。 |
limbs:n.[解剖]四肢(limb的复数); achondroplastic:adj.软骨发育不全的;n.短腿; facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; forehead:n.前额;
|
My arms do not straighten fully,but I can lick my elbow . |
我的双臂不能完全伸直, 但我却可以舔自己的肘部。 |
straighten:v.整顿;使…改正;好转; lick:v.舔;舔吃;舔着喝;掠过;轻松战胜;n.舔;一点儿(涂料); elbow:n.肘;弯头;肘状物;v.用肘推;挤进;讨价还价;
|
I'm not showing you that one. |
我不会向大家示范这个。 |
Achondroplasia occurs in approximately one in every 20,000 births. |
每约 2 万名新生婴 就有一名软骨发育不全症。 |
occurs:v.重现(occur的第三人称单数); approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于;
|
80 percent of little people are born to two average-height parents. |
80% 矮个子的双亲皆是中等身高。 |
little people:n.小老百姓;异常矮小的人;侏儒;"袖珍"人;
|
That means that anybody in this room could have a child with achondroplasia. |
这意味这房间内任何人都可能 有一名软骨发育不全的子女。 |
Yet, I inherited my condition from my dad. |
然而我是因父亲遗传而有这状况。 |
I'd like to show you a photo of my family. |
我想给大家看看我的全家福照片。 |
My mother is average height, my father is a little person and I am the eldest of five children. |
我的母亲是中等身高, 我的父亲是矮个子, 而我是五名子女中最年长的。 |
eldest:adj.最年长的;年事最高的(old的最高级);n.最年长者;
|
I have three sisters and one brother. |
我有三名妹妹和一名弟弟。 |
They are all average height. |
他们都是中等身高。 |
I am incredibly fortunate to have been born into a family that cultivated my curiosity and my tenacity , that protected me from the unkindness and ignorance of strangers |
我十分榮幸能够诞生在这个家庭, 这个家庭培养我的好奇心和韧力, 让我免受陌生人的 不友善对待和愚昧影响, |
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的; cultivated:adj.栽培的; v.栽培; (cultivate的过去式和过去分词) curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; tenacity:n.韧性;固执;不屈不挠;黏性; unkindness:n.不亲切;不近人情;不仁慈; ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂;
|
and that armed me with the resilience , creativity and confidence that I needed to survive and manipulate the physical environment and society. |
使我能屈能伸、 充满创意、信心十足, 这些特质都是我所赖以生存 和驾驭物理环境和社会。 |
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; manipulate:vt.操纵;操作;巧妙地处理;篡改;
|
If I was to pinpoint any reason why I am successful, it is because I was and I am a loved child, now, a loved child with a lot of sass and sarcasm , but a loved child nonetheless . |
假如我要点出我成功的 任何一个原因, 那就是我一直到现在 都是一个受宠爱的孩子, 一个现在口没遮拦、 尖酸刻薄的受宠爱孩子, 但毕竟还是受宠爱孩子。 |
pinpoint:vt.查明; adj.精确的; n.针尖; sass:n.莽撞的行为;粗鲁的话;v.对…粗鲁地(或恶声恶气地)说话;对…出言不逊; sarcasm:n.讽刺;挖苦;嘲笑; nonetheless:adv.尽管如此,但是;
|
In giving you an insight into who I am today |
今天我让大家了解我是谁, |
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉;
|
I wanted to offer you a new perspective. |
就是想给大家一个新视角。 |
I wanted to challenge the idea that design is but a tool to create function and beauty. |
我要挑战的一个想法, 就是设计不外乎是 营造功能和美感的工具。 |
Design greatly impacts upon people's lives,all lives. |
设计大大影响人们的生活, 所有人的生活。 |
greatly:adv.很,大大地;非常;
|
Design is a way in which we can feel included in the world, but it is also a way in which we can uphold a person's dignity and their human rights. |
设计是让我们感到 获世界接纳的一种方式, 也是让我们维护一个人的 尊严和人权的一种方式。 |
uphold:v.支撑;鼓励;赞成;举起;
|
Design can also inflict vulnerability on a group whose needs aren't considered. |
设计也可以使某一群体 处于弱势,其需要得不到考虑。 |
inflict:vt.造成;使遭受(损伤,痛苦等);给予(打击等); vulnerability:n.易损性;弱点;
|
So today, I want your perceptions challenged. |
所以我想在今天挑战各位的观念。 |
perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解;
|
Who are we not designing for? |
我们设计时忽略了谁? |
How can we amplify their voices and their experiences? |
我们可以怎样放大他们的声音、 增强他们的体验? |
amplify:vt.放大,扩大;增强;详述;vi.详述;
|
What is the next step? |
下一步是甚么? |
Design is an enormous privilege ,but it is a bigger responsibility. |
设计是一项庞大的特权, 但也涉及更大的责任。 |
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
|
I want you to open your eyes. |
我想大家睁开眼睛。 |
Thank you so much. |
感谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |