返回首页

SimonAnholt_2016X-_全球的人会为你国选举中的哪位候选人投票?_

Well, as many of you know, the results of the recent election were as follows: 嗯,在座很多人都知道, 最近的选举有以下的结果:
Hillary Clinton, the Democratic candidate won a landslide victory with 52 percent of the overall vote. 民主党候候选人希拉里·克林顿 获得了一大胜利 她获得的选票占全部选票的52%
Hillary:n.希拉里(美国国务卿); Democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的; landslide:n.[地质]山崩;大胜利;vi.发生山崩;以压倒优势获胜; overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的;
Jill Stein , the Green candidate, came a distant second, with 19 percent. 绿党候选人,吉尔·斯坦 以19%的选票遥遥落后称为第二名。
Stein:n.(容量约为一品脱的)啤酒杯; distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的;
Donald J. Trump , the Republic candidate, was hot on her heels with 14 percent, and the remainder of the vote were shared between abstainers and Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. 唐纳德·特朗普,共和党候选人 获得14%的选票, 其余的选票则在“弃权候选人” 和自由党候选人盖瑞·约翰森中分配。
Trump:n.王牌;主牌花色;v.出王牌赢(牌);;赢;胜过;打败; heels:n.高跟鞋(heel的复数);脚踝;残余料;v.紧跟;给(鞋等)装跟(heel的三单形式); remainder:n.[数]余数,残余; adj.剩余的; vt.廉价出售; vi.廉价出售; abstainers:n.戒酒的人;弃权者; Libertarian:adj.自由的;自由论者的;持自由论的;n.自由意志主义者;行动自由论者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now, what parallel universe do you suppose I live in? 现在,你觉得我活在哪个平行宇宙里?
parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等); suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想:
Well, I don't live in a parallel universe. 其实,我并没活在平行宇宙。
I live in the world, and that is how the world voted. 我活在这个世界上, 而这就是这个世界投票的结果。
So let me take you back and explain what I mean by that. 所以我带你们回顾一下, 然后我来解释我是什么意思。
In June this year, 在今年六月,
I launched something called the Global Vote. 我发动了名为“全球投票”的活动。
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
And the Global Vote does exactly what it says on the tin. “全球投票”所言不虚。
For the first time in history, it lets anybody, anywhere in the world, vote in the elections of other people's countries. 这是有史以来第一次, 让全世界任何地方任何人 为其他国家的大选投票。
Now, why would you do that? 那么,你为什么要这么做?
What's the point? 这有什么意义?
Well, let me show you what it looks like. 那么,我来给你们看看 这是怎么样的。
You go to a website, rather a beautiful website, and then you select an election. 你去到一个网站, 这个网站很美观, 然后你选择一项选举。
Here's a bunch that we've already covered. 我们在这已经包含了很多选举。
bunch:n.群;串;突出物;vi.隆起;打褶;形成一串;vt.使成一串;使打褶;
We do about one a month, or thereabouts . 我们差不多一个月能做好一个。
thereabouts:adv.大约;在那附近(等于thereabout);
So you can see Bulgaria, the United States of America , 于是你可以看到保加利亚, 看到美国,
United States of America:un.美利坚合众国;
Secretary-General of the United Nations , the Brexit referendum at the end there. 联合国秘书长, 英国脱欧公投在末尾处。
Secretary-General:n.秘书长;总书记; United Nations:n.联合国; Brexit:英国退出欧盟; referendum:n.公民投票权;外交官请示书;
You select the election that you're interested in, and you pick the candidates. 你选择自己有兴趣的选举, 然后你选择候选人。
These are the candidates from the recent presidential election in the tiny island nation of S?o Tomé and Príncipe, 199,000 inhabitants , off the coast of West Africa. 这些是最近总统选举的候选人 这个选举是在圣多美和普林西比, 一个有190万人口的 西非海岸的小小的岛国。
presidential:adj.总统的;首长的;统辖的; inhabitants:n.居民(inhabitant的复数);
And then you can look at the brief summary of each of those candidates which I dearly hope is very neutral , very informative and very succinct . 你可以看到每个候选人的简要介绍, 我真心的希望这些介绍是客观公正, 简明扼要的。
summary:adj.简易的;扼要的;n.概要,摘要,总结; dearly:adv.深深地;昂贵地; neutral:n.中立国; adj.中立的; informative:adj.教育性的,有益的;情报的;见闻广博的; succinct:adj.简洁的;简明的;紧身的;
And when you've found the one you like, you vote. 你发现了自己喜欢的候选人, 然后为他投票。
These were the candidates in the recent Icelandic presidential election, and that's the way it goes. 这些候选人 最近在竞选冰岛总统, 它是这样进行的。
Icelandic:adj.冰岛的;冰岛人的;冰岛语的;n.冰岛语;
So why on earth would you want to vote in another country's election? 所以我们到底为什么要为 别的国家的选举投票呢?
Well, the reason that you wouldn't want to do it, let me reassure you, is in order to interfere in the democratic processes of another country. 好吧,你不想去投票的原因, 我再跟你确认一遍, 是因为你不想干涉别国内政进程。
reassure:vt.使…安心,使消除疑虑; interfere:v.干涉;干预;介入; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式);
That's not the purpose at all. 干涉别国内政根本不是我们的目的。
In fact, you can't, because usually what I do is I release the results after the electorate in each individual country has already voted, so there's no way that we could interfere in that process. 事实上,你并不能干涉, 因为通常来讲,我公布选举结果 是在别的国家是在每个国家的选民 完成投票之后的, 所以我们不可能干涉选举进程。
release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; electorate:n.选民;选区; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
But more importantly, 但更重要的是,
I'm not particularly interested in the domestic issues of individual countries. 我并不是很感兴趣 别国的国内事务。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; domestic:n.佣人;家佣;家庭纠纷;家庭矛盾;adj.本国的;国内的;家用的;家庭的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
That's not what we're voting on. 我们并不是为这个投票。
So what Donald J. Trump or Hillary Clinton proposed to do for the Americans is frankly none of our business. 所以,唐纳德·特朗普或者希拉里·克林顿 想要为美国人做什么 跟我们真的没关系。
proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式)
That's something that only the Americans can vote on. 那是只有美国人有权投票的事情。
No, in the global vote, you're only considering one aspect of it, which is what are those leaders going to do for the rest of us? 不,在全球投票中, 你只要考虑一个方面, 那就是这些领袖能为世界上的其他人 做什么?
aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位;
And that's so very important because we live, as no doubt you're sick of hearing people tell you, in a globalized , hyperconnected , massively interdependent world 这一点非常重要,因为我们生活在, 毫无疑问你早就听烦了别人这么说, 生活在一个全球化的、超联通的、 极度相互依存的世界上,
globalized:vt.使全球化; hyperconnected:超高速连结;超高速连结化;超高速结; massively:adv.大量地;沉重地;庄严地; interdependent:adj.相互依赖的;互助的;
where the political decisions of people in other countries can and will have an impact on our lives no matter who we are, no matter where we live. 在这个世界上,别国的政治决定 能够也将会影响我们的生活。 不论你是谁,不论你在哪。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Like the wings of the butterfly beating on one side of the Pacific that can apparently create a hurricane on the other side , so it is with the world that we live in today and the world of politics . 就像蝴蝶在太平洋的一边 扇动一下翅膀 就可能引起大洋彼岸的一阵飓风。 我们如今生活的世界 和政治世界都是如此。
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; hurricane:n.飓风,暴风; on the other side:另一面;在另一边; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
There is no longer a dividing line between domestic and international affairs. 国内事务与国际事务不再泾渭分明。
dividing line:n.分界线;界限;
Any country, no matter how small, could produce the next Nelson Mandela or the next Stalin . 任何国家,不论它有多小, 也可以走出来下一个尼尔逊·曼德拉, 或者是下一个斯大林。
Stalin:n.斯大林(前苏联领导人);
They could pollute the atmosphere and the oceans, which belong to all of us, or they could be responsible and they could help all of us. 他们可能会污染属于所有人的大气层, 也可能挑起重担帮助所有人,
atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
And yet, the system is so strange because the system hasn't caught up with this globalized reality. 可是,这个系统是那么陌生 因为它还没有追赶上全球化的现实。
Only a small number of people are allowed to vote for those leaders, even though their impact is gigantic and almost universal . 只有很少数人有权为领袖投票, 尽管他们的影响是巨大的, 甚至在全世界都有影响,
gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
What number was it? 这个数目是多少?
140 million Americans voted for the next president of the United States, and yet, as all of us knows, in a few weeks time, somebody is going to hand over the nuclear launch codes to Donald J. Trump. 1400万美国人投票 给下一任美国总统 但是,正如我们所知,在几周之内, 就有人要把核发射密码 交给唐纳德·特朗普。
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的;
Now, if that isn't having a potential impact on all of us, 那么,如果这对我们所有人 都没有潜在影响的话,
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I don't know what is. 我就不知道还有什么能有影响了。
Similarly , the election for the referendum on the Brexit vote, a small number of millions of British people voted on that, but the outcome of the vote, whichever way it went, would have had a significant impact on the lives of tens, hundreds of millions of people around the world. 相似的,在英国脱欧公投中, 英国只有少数公民进行了投票, 但是投票的结果,不管是什么, 都会有巨大的影响 对于全球数以千百万计的人来说。
Similarly:adv.同样地;类似于; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果; whichever:pron.任何一个;无论哪个;adj.无论哪个;无论哪些; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
And yet, only a tiny number could vote. 但是,只有很少数人能够投票,
What kind of democracy is that? 这算哪门子的民主?
democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治;
Huge decisions that affect all of us being decided by relatively very small numbers of people. 能够影响所有人的重大决定, 是由相对很少数人做出的。
relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
And I don't know about you, but I don't think that sounds very democratic. 我不知道你们怎么看, 反正我不认为这么做有多民主。
So I'm trying to clear it up. 所以我想要说清楚。
But as I say, we don't ask about domestic questions. 但是,正如我说的, 我们不过问国内问题,
In fact, I only ever ask two questions of all of the candidates. 实际上,对所有的候选人, 我只问过两个问题。
I send them the same two questions every single time. 我向所有人同时发送两个问题。
I say, one, if you get elected, what are you going to do for the rest of us, for the remainder of the seven billion who live on this planet? 我问,第一, 如果你获选了, 你将为其他人做什么, 为你国之外, 全球七十亿人做什么?
Second question: 第二个问题:
What is your vision for your country's future in the world? 在你眼里, 你国在世界的未来是怎样的?
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
What role do you see it playing? 你认为你国会扮演什么角色?
Every candidate, I send them those questions. 我向每个候选人都发了这些问题。
They don't all answer. Don't get me wrong. 并不是所有人都回复我。别误会。
I reckon if you're standing to become the next president of the United States, you're probably pretty tied up most of the time, so I'm not altogether surprised that they don't all answer, but many do. 我理解,如果你想成为 下一任美国总统, 那你很可能大多数时候都很忙, 所以你不回复我我不会感到很惊讶, 但是很多人会回复。
reckon:v.认为;想;估计;计算;
More every time. 每一次都会有更多人回复。
And some of them do much more than answer. 一些人还不仅仅是回答了问题。
Some of them answer in the most enthusiastic and most exciting way you could imagine. 有的人还以你能想象到的, 最热情最激动的方式回复你。
enthusiastic:adj.热情的;热心的;狂热的;
I just want to say a word here for Saviour Chishimba, who was one of the candidates in the recent Zambian presidential election. 在此我想为Saviour Chishimba说句话, 他是最近赞比亚大选 的一位候选人。
Saviour:n.救世主;救星;救助者;
His answers to those two questions were basically an 18-page dissertation on his view of Zambia's potential role in the world and in the international community . 他对那两个问题的回复差不多 有18页论文那么长 不仅以他的角度看赞比亚 在世界上的角色, 还有在国际社会的角色。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; dissertation:n.论文,专题;学术演讲; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
I posted it on the website so anybody could read it. 我把他的回复发布在了网站上, 这样所有人都能看到。
Now, Saviour won the global vote, but he didn't win the Zambian election. 现在,Saviour Chishimba赢得了全球投票, 但是他没有在国内选举获胜。
So I found myself wondering, what am I going to do with this extraordinary group of people? 所以我自己在思考, 我要对这些卓越的人做点什么呢?
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
I've got some wonderful people here who won the global vote. 这里有些人赢得了全球选举。
We always get it wrong, by the way . 顺便说一句,我们总会选错。
by the way:顺便说一下;
The one that we elect is never the person who's elected by the domestic electorate. 我们选的那个人 永远都不是赢得国内选举的人,
That may be partly because we always seem to go for the woman. 部分原因可能是我们 看起来总是支持女性。
But I think it may also be a sign that the domestic electorate is still thinking very nationally . 但是我想这可能也是个信号 告诉我们国内选举的思维依然非常本国化。
nationally:adv.全国性地;以国民立场地;举国一致地;
They're still thinking very inwardly . 他们的想法仍然着眼小处。
inwardly:adv.向内地;思想上;在内部;
They're still asking themselves: What's in it for me? ... 他们仍然在问自己: 这对我有什么好处?
instead of what they should be asking today, which is, what's in it for we? 而不是他们如今该问的 这对我们有什么好处?
But there you go. 这样来。
So suggestions, please, not right now, but send me an email if you've got an idea about what we can do with this amazing team of glorious losers . 请你 把建议,不是现在, 用邮件发给我,如果你有想法 关于我们这个“光荣废柴”团队 能做些什么?
glorious:adj.光荣的;辉煌的;极好的; losers:n.输者,败者:(loser的复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
We've got Saviour Chishimba, who I mentioned before. 我们有我刚刚提到的Saviour Chishimba。
who was the runner up in the Icelandic presidential election. 她在冰岛总统选举的全球投票中 遥遥领先。
Many of you may have seen her amazing talk at TEDWomen just a few weeks ago where she spoke about the need for more women to get into politics. 其中很多人你们都在TED女性演讲中见过 就在几周前 她讲了更多女性应该参与到 政治中去。
We've got Maria das Neves from S?o Tomé and Príncipe. 我们有圣多美和普林西比的 Maria das Neves。
Maria:n.母驴;母马;[天文学]海(指月亮,火星表面的阴暗部分);
We've got Hillary Clinton. 我们有希拉里·克林顿。
I don't know if she's available. 我不知道她是不是有空。
We've got Jill Stein. 我们有吉尔·斯丁。
And we covered also the election for the next Secretary-General of the United Nations. 我们也包含了 下任联合国秘书长的竞选。
We've got the ex-prime minister of New Zealand , who would be a wonderful member of the team. 我们有新西兰前任总理, 他会是团队里出色的一员。
minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人; Zealand:西兰岛(丹麦最大的岛)
So I think maybe those people, the glorious loser's club, could travel around the world wherever there's an election and remind people of the necessity in our modern age of thinking a little bit outwards and thinking of the international consequences . 所以我想,也许这些人 这个“光荣废柴俱乐部”可以穿梭于全球 哪里有选举 就去哪提醒人们, 在现代,很有必要 要向外看一点, 要考虑国际后果。
remind:v.提醒;使想起; outwards:adv.向外地; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
So what comes next for the global vote? 所以下一个全球投票是什么?
Well, obviously, the Donald and Hillary show is a bit of a difficult one to follow, but there are some other really important elections coming up. 好吧,很明显, 唐纳德和希拉里的跟进看起来有点困难, 但是接下来也有很多真的很重要的选举。
In fact, they seem to be multiplying . 实际上,他们看起来多种多样。
multiplying:n.繁殖;adj.乘法的;v.乘;繁殖;增加(multiply的ing形式);
There's something going on, I'm sure you've noticed, in the world. 我确定你已经注意到了, 这世界上正有事发生,
And the next row of elections are all critically important. 下一轮选举至关重要。
critically:adv.精密地;危急地;批评性地;用钻研眼光地;
In just a few day's time we've got the rerun of the Austrian presidential election, with the prospect of Norbert Hofer becoming what is commonly described as the first far-right head of state in Europe since the Second World War. 在短短几天时间里 我们重新进行了奥地利的总统选举, 诺贝尔·霍费尔有前景成为 第二次世界大战以来 欧洲第一个极右派的国家元首。
rerun:vi.再运行; vt.使再运行; n.再开动; prospect:n.展望;前景;希望;前途;v.勘探;探矿; described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) far-right:adj.极右派的;极端保守主义的; head of state:n.国家元首;
Next year we've got Germany, we've got France, we've got presidential elections in Iran and a dozen others. 明年我们会做德国大选, 法国大选, 还有伊朗的总统选举 以及许多其他国家的选举。
It doesn't get less important. 这不会变的无关紧要。
It gets more and more important. 反而会日益重要。
Clearly, the global vote is not a stand-alone project. 显然,全球投票不是 一个单枪匹马的项目
stand-alone:n.独立;单机;adj.独立的;独立操作的;
It's not just there on its own. 它不是仅靠自己的。
It has some background. 全球投票是有背景的,
It's part of a project which I launched back in 2014, which I call the Good Country. 它是我2014年启动的项目的一部分, 那个项目叫“优秀国家”
The idea of the Good Country is basically very simple. “优秀国家”的理念大体上很简单。
It's my simple diagnosis of what's wrong with the world and how we can fix it. 它是关于我对这个世界 有什么问题的简单判断, 以及我们该如何修补这些问题。
diagnosis:n.诊断;
What's wrong with the world I've already hinted at. 我已经暗示过这个世界有什么问题了。
hinted:v.暗示;透露;示意;(hint的过去分词和过去式)
Basically, we face an enormous and growing number of gigantic, existential global challenges: climate change, human rights abuses , mass migration , terrorism , economic chaos , weapons proliferation . 大体上,我们面对着数量庞大 且不断增长着的 巨大的全球挑战: 气候变化、侵犯人权、 大量移民、恐怖主义、经济混沌 以及武器扩散等。
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; existential:adj.存在主义的;有关存在的;存在判断的; abuses:v.滥用;虐待;辱骂(abuse的三单形式);n.滥用;虐待;暴行(abuse的复数); migration:n.迁移;迁徙;转移;移居; terrorism:n.恐怖主义; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; chaos:n.混沌,混乱; proliferation:n.增殖,扩散;分芽繁殖;
All of these problems which threaten to wipe us out are by their very nature globalized problems. 所有这些问题都有摧毁人类的威胁, 它们的本质都是全球化问题。
wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布;
No individual country has the capability of tackling them on its own. 没有任何国家能靠一己之力 解决这些问题。
capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量; tackling:n.装备,用具;扭住;v.处理;抓住;(tackle的现在分词);
And so very obviously we have to cooperate and we have to collaborate as nations if we're going to solve these problems. 同样,显而易见, 如果我们想要解决这些问题, 我们必须合作, 并且是国际层面上的协作。
cooperate:v.合作;配合;协作;结合; collaborate:vi.合作;勾结,通敌;
It's so obvious , and yet we don't. 这么明显的事情,我们还是没有做。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
We don't do it nearly often enough. 我们做的太不够了。
Most of the time, countries still persist in behaving as if they were warring, selfish tribes battling against each other, much as they have done since the nation-state was invented hundreds of years ago. 大多数时候,各国仍然坚持表现得 就像他们在交战,就像自私的部落 互相斗争, 很像它们几百年前 成立了国家时做的那样。
persist in:坚持;固执于; behaving:v.表现:表现得体:有礼貌:(behave的现在分词) nation-state:n.单一民族国家;
And this has got to change. 这必须要改变。
This is not a change in political systems or a change in ideology . 这不是政治制度或是意识形态的改变,
ideology:n.意识形态;思想意识;观念学;
This is a change in culture. 而是文化的改变。
We, all of us, have to understand that thinking inwards is not the solution to the world's problems. 我们所有人,一定要理解 内向地思考不能解决世界性的问题。
inwards:adv.向内地;向中心地; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
We have to learn how to cooperate and collaborate a great deal more and compete just a tiny bit less. 我们必须要学会大大加大合作力度, 并且稍微减少一点竞争。
compete:v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛(或竞赛);
Otherwise things are going to carry on getting bad and they're going to get much worse, much sooner than we anticipate . 否则事态会持续恶化 恶化的速度会大大超出我们的预料。
anticipate:v.预期,期望;占先,抢先;提前使用;
This change will only happen if we ordinary people tell our politicians that things have changed. 要想做出改变 我们这些普通人 必须要告知政治家们 时代已经改变了。
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数)
We have to tell them that the culture has changed. 我们必须告诉政治家们 文化已经改变了。
We have to tell them that they've got a new mandate . 我们必须告诉他们, 我们给了他们新的任命。
mandate:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管;
The old mandate was very simple and very single: if you're in a position of power or authority , you're responsible for your own people and your own tiny slice of territory , and that's it. 以前的人民简单而单一: 如果你身处权威手握权力, 你要为你的人民和你自己的国界负责, 仅此而已。
authority:n.权威;权力;当局; slice:n.片; v.切成片; (很容易地)切开; territory:n.领土,领域;范围;地域;版图;
And if in order to do the best thing for your own people, you screw over everybody else on the planet, that's even better. 而你如果想为人民做好事, 你就要毁掉所有异己,这就更好了。
screw:v.旋,拧;压榨;强迫;n.螺旋;螺丝钉;吝啬鬼;
That's considered to be a bit macho . 想来这有些大男子主义。
macho:n.男子汉;男子气概;adj.(贬)有男子汉气概的;
Today, I think everybody in a position of power and responsibility has got a dual mandate, which says if you're in a position of power and responsibility, you're responsible for your own people and for every single man, woman, child and animal on the planet. 今天,我认为每一个身处权威 与责任之重的人, 都有一个双重任命, 这就是说,如果你手握权威与责任, 你要对你的人民负责, 也要为这个世界上的每一个男性、女性、 孩子还有动物负责。
You're responsible for your own slice of territory and for every single square mile of the earth's surface and the atmosphere above it. 你要为你自己的国土负责, 也要为地球上的每一寸土地负责。 还要为土地上的大气层负责。
square mile:n.平方英里城(指伦敦金融城)(银行和金融业的聚集地);
And if you don't like that responsibility, you should not be in power. 如果你不想担负这份责任, 你也不应该掌握权力。
That for me is the rule of the modern age, and that's the message that we've got to get across to our politicians, and show them that that's the way things are done these days. 对我来说,这就是现代的规则 这是我们必须传达给政治家的信息 还要展示给他们看这就是 如今做事的方法。
Otherwise, we're all screwed . 否则,我们都完了。
screwed:v.用螺丝固定;旋紧;拧紧;拧上去;(screw的过去分词和过去式)
I don't have a problem, actually, with Donald Trump's credo of "America first." 真的,我对唐纳德特朗普的 ”美国第一“的信条 并没有什么意见。
credo:n.信条,教义;
It seems to me that that's a pretty banal statement of what politicians have always done and probably should always do. 在我看来这是个很平庸的声明 政治家们一直是这么做的, 可能也应该永远这么做。
banal:adj.陈腐的;平庸的;老一套的; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
Of course they're elected to represent the interests of their own people. 他们当选当然是要去代表本国人民的。
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
But what I find so boring and so old-fashioned and so unimaginative about his take on that is that America first means everyone else last, that making America great again means making everybody else small again, and it's just not true. 但是我发现他见解的无聊而且过时, 以及缺乏想象力的是, “美国第一”的意思是 所有别人都得排在最后, 让美国再次伟大的意思 是让所有别人都再次渺小, 这不是事实。
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词) old-fashioned:adj.老式的;过时的;守旧的; unimaginative:adj.缺乏想象力的;无趣的;
In my job as a policy advisor over the last 20 years or so, 在过去的20年左右, 我作为一名政策顾问,
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
I've seen so many hundreds of examples of policies that harmonize the international and the domestic needs, and they make better policy. 我看到了数百个例子, 协调国际和国内需求政策, 并制定了更好的政策。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) harmonize:vt.使和谐;使一致;以和声唱;vi.协调;和谐;以和声唱;
I'm not asking nations to be altruistic or self-sacrificing . 我不是要求各国进行利他主义 或自我牺牲。
altruistic:adj.利他的;无私心的; self-sacrificing:adj.自我牺牲的;
That would be ridiculous . 那是荒唐的。
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
No nation would ever do that. 没有国家会那么做。
I'm asking them to wake up and understand that we need a new form of governance , which is possible and which harmonizes those two needs, those good for our own people and those good for everybody else. 我要求的是他们醒悟并理解 我们需要的是一种新的治理方式, 这是可能的, 协调这两个需求 对我们的人民有好处, 也对每个人都有好处。
governance:n.管理;统治;支配; harmonizes:vt.使和谐;使一致;以和声唱;vi.协调;和谐;以和声唱;
Since the US election and since Brexit it's become more and more obvious to me that those old distinctions of left wing and right wing no longer make sense . 自从美国大选和英国脱欧, 对我来说越来越显而易见的是 那些关于左翼与右翼的老旧区分 不再说得通了。
distinctions:区别;卓越;特质;荣誉;区分; left wing:adj.左派的; right wing:adj.右翼的;右派的; make sense:有意义;讲得通;言之有理;
They really don't fit the pattern. 它们真的不符合当今的模式了。
What does seem to matter today is very simple, whether your view of the world is that you take comfort from looking inwards and backwards, or whether, like me, you find hope in looking forwards and outwards. 在今天,要紧的事情 是很简单的, 要紧的是你对这个世界的看法 是不是通过向内看与向后看 而得到安慰, 或者是不是像我一样, 从向外看和向前看来找到希望。
That's the new politics. 这就是新的政治。
That's the new division that is splitting the world right down the middle. 这就是把世界从中间分开的新区分。
division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧;
Now, that may sound judgmental , but it's not meant to be. 现在,这听起来可能主观判断的, 但不是注定的。
judgmental:adj.审判的;
I don't at all misunderstand why so many people find their comfort in looking inwards and backwards. 我完全不理解 为什么有那么多人在向里向后看中 找到了宽慰。
misunderstand:v.误解;误会;
When times are difficult, when you're short of money, when you're feeling insecure and vulnerable , it's almost a natural human tendency to turn inwards, to think of your own needs and to discard everybody else's, 当时光艰难,当你缺钱, 但你没有安全感感到脆弱的时候, 几乎是人的天性使然,让人向内地 去考虑自己的需求 并且抛弃别人的需求,
insecure:adj.不安全的;不稳定的;不牢靠的; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好; discard:v.丢弃; n.被抛弃的人(或物); (尤指纸牌游戏中)垫出的牌;
and perhaps to start to imagine that the past was somehow better than the present or the future could ever be. 还可能开始想象过去比现在好 或者过去比未来能达到的要好。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
But I happen to believe that that's a dead end. 但是碰巧,我认为那是死胡同一条。
History shows us that it's a dead end. 历史告诉我们那是一条死胡同。
When people turn inwards and turn backwards, human progress becomes reversed and things get worse for everybody very quickly indeed. 当人们向内看,向过去看的时候, 人类的进程开始倒退 对每个人来说事情很快都会 变的很糟糕。
reversed:v.颠倒; (reverse的过去分词和过去式)
If you're like me and you believe in forwards and outwards, and you believe that the best thing about humanity is its diversity , and the best thing about globalization 如果你跟我一样 如果你也相信要向前看向外展望, 你也相信人性中最美好的事 就是多样性, 那么全球化最好的方面
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: globalization:n.全球化;
is the way that it stirs up that diversity, that cultural mixture to make something more creative , more exciting, more productive than there's ever been before in human history, then, my friends, we've got a job on our hands, because the inwards and backwards brigade are uniting as never before, and that creed of inwards and backwards, that fear, that anxiety , playing on the simplest instincts , is sweeping across the world. 就是它能搅动起多样化, 搅动起文化的混合 让事物的创造性、激动人心 和富有成效的程度 都超过人类历史上曾有的, 那么,朋友们,我 们手上有了这么一项工作, 因为向内看与向过去看的队伍 比以往更加团结, 那向内看向过去看的信条, 那份恐惧与焦虑 位于最简单的本能上, 正在席卷全球。
stirs:n.搅拌;轰动;vt.搅拌;激起;惹起;vi.搅动;传播;走动; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体; creative:adj.创造性的; productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的; brigade:n.旅;大部队;队列;vt.把…编成旅;把…编成队; uniting:v.(为某事)联合,联手,团结;联合;统一;(unite的现在分词) creed:n.信条,教义; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; instincts:n.本能;天性;直觉;(instinct的复数) sweeping:n.扫除; adj.影响广泛的; v.打扫; (sweep的现在分词)
Those of us who believe, as I believe, in forwards and outwards, we have to get ourselves organized , because time is running out very, very quickly. 我们之中相信, 像我一样相信,在向前与向外看之中, 我们必须让自己更有条理有组织, 因为时间正在非常非常快的耗光。
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)