|
|
SiegfriedWoldhek_2008-_找寻达_芬奇的真实面孔_
|
Good morning. |
早上好。 |
Let's look for a minute at the greatest icon of all, Leonardo da Vinci. |
让我们先花一分钟的时间来看看伟大的传奇人物列奥纳多·达·芬奇。 |
for a minute:一会儿;
|
We're all familiar with his fantastic work -- his drawings, his paintings, his inventions, his writings . |
我们对他的杰作是再熟悉不过了── 他的画作、他的发明、他的写作。 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; fantastic:奇异的,空想的 writings:n.作品,篇章(writing的复数形式);
|
But we do not know his face. |
但我们却不知道他长什么样。 |
Thousands of books have been written about him, but there's controversy , and it remains, about his looks. |
虽然关于他的著作成百上千, 但对于他的样貌,人们仍旧是充满分歧。 |
controversy:n.争论;论战;辩论;
|
Even this well-known portrait is not accepted by many art historians. |
即使是这幅著名的肖像画,也无法得到很多艺术史学家的认可。 |
well-known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的; portrait:n.肖像;描写;半身雕塑像;
|
So what do you think? |
你们觉得呢? |
Is this the face of Leonardo da Vinci or isn't it? |
这到底是不是列奥纳多·达·芬奇的面孔呢? |
Let's find out. |
让我们一同寻找答案。 |
Leonardo was a man that drew everything around him. |
达·芬奇是一个会画身边各种事物的人。 |
He drew people, anatomy , plants, animals, landscapes , buildings, water, everything. |
他画过人物、人体结构、动植物、风景、建筑、江河湖海、各种事物。 |
anatomy:n.解剖;解剖学;剖析;解析; landscapes:n.风景; v.从事庭园设计;
|
But no faces? |
但却从来没有画过脸? |
I find that hard to believe. |
我觉得这有点让人难以置信。 |
His contemporaries made faces, like the ones you see here. |
他同时代的画家都画过自画像,就好比你们现在看到的这些。 |
contemporaries:n.同龄,同辈人(contemporary复数形式);
|
En face or three quarters . |
正面或者是四分之三的侧面像。 |
three quarters:adj.四分之三的;n.四分之三;
|
So surely a passionate drawer like Leonardo must have made self-portraits from time to time . |
所以像达·芬奇这样充满热情的画家 也一定会时不时地画些自画像。 |
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的; drawer:n.抽屉;内裤;出票人;起草者;酒馆侍者; self-portraits:n.自画像; from time to time:不时,有时;
|
So let's try to find them. |
就让我们试着把他们给找出来。 |
I think that if we were to scan all of his work and look for self-portraits, we would find his face looking at us. |
我认为如果我们仔细查阅他所有的作品, 并从中寻找自画像,我们就可以发现他的面孔。 |
So I looked at all of his drawings, more than 700, and looked for male portraits. |
于是我认真查看了他所有的画,700多幅, 从中寻找男士的画像。 |
There are about 120, you see them here. |
这里所看到的,就是我找到的120幅。 |
Which ones of these could be self-portraits? |
这里面有哪些有可能是自画像呢? |
Well, for that they have to be done as we just saw, en face or three-quarters . |
就如我们前面所看到的,自画像一定要是正面或者四分之三侧面的才可以。 |
three-quarters:adj.四分之三的;n.四分之三;
|
So we can eliminate all the profiles . |
所以我们排除所有的侧面画像。 |
eliminate:v.消除;排除; profiles:n.配置文件; v.扼要描述;
|
It also has to be sufficiently detailed. |
自画像也应该有充分的细节。 |
sufficiently:adv.充分地;足够地;
|
So we can also eliminate the ones that are very vague or very stylized . |
所以我们也可以排除那些模糊不清的或者是过于风格化的画像。 |
vague:adj.模糊的;含糊的;不明确的;暧昧的; stylized:adj.程式化的; v.风格化;
|
And we know from his contemporaries that Leonardo was a very handsome, even beautiful man. |
同时我们从达·芬奇同时代的人中也了解到 达·芬奇长得非常帅气,甚至可以说是美男子。 |
So we can also eliminate the ugly ones or the caricatures . |
这样一来,我们又排除了那些长得丑的以及那些漫画像。 |
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的; caricatures:n.漫画;讽刺画;漫画手法;vt.画成漫画讽刺;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And look what happens -- only three candidates remain that fit the bill. |
现在再来看一看──只剩下三个符合条件的候选画像了。 |
And here they are. |
就是这三张 |
Yes indeed, the old man is there, as is this famous pen drawing of the Homo Vitruvianos. |
的确,老人画像是其中之一, 这幅著名的铅笔画《维特鲁威人》也在其中。 |
Homo:n.人,人类;同性恋者;
|
And lastly, the only portrait of a male that Leonardo painted, "The Musician." |
最后一幅就是达·芬奇所画的唯一一幅男性肖像油画《音乐家肖像》。 |
Before we go into these faces, |
在我们开始研究这些面孔之前, |
I should explain why I have some right to talk about them. |
我应该解释一下我有什么资格在这里发表关于他们的评论。 |
I've made more than 1,100 portraits myself for newspapers, over the course of 300 -- 30 years, sorry, 30 years only. |
我画过超过1100张的人物画像, 为各类报纸所做,历时300多──30多年,不好意思,只有30多年。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But there are 1,100, and very few artists have drawn so many faces. |
但还是画了1100张。很少有画家画过这么多张脸。 |
So I know a little about drawing and analyzing faces. |
所以我对绘画和分析脸孔还是略知一二的。 |
analyzing:adj.分析的;v.分析(analyze的现在分词);
|
OK, now let's look at these three portraits. |
好了,现在让我们来看看这三幅画像。 |
And hold onto your seats, because if we zoom in on those faces, remark how they have the same broad forehead , the horizontal eyebrows , the long nose, the curved lips and the small, well-developed chin . |
你们可要坐好了,因为如果我们将这些脸孔放大的话, 我们就会发现他们都有着同样宽广的额头、平直的眉毛、 高长的鼻子、弯曲的嘴唇、小而丰满的下颚。 |
hold onto:抓紧 remark:v.评论;谈论;说起;n.评述;言论;谈论;引人注目; forehead:n.前额; horizontal:n.水平线;水平面;横线;水平位置;adj.水平的;与地面平行的;横的; eyebrows:n.眉;眉毛;(eyebrow的复数) curved:adj.呈弯曲状的; v.(使)沿曲线运动; well-developed:adj.发达的;发育良好的; chin:n.下巴;颏;v.(口)用下巴夹住(提琴等);(单杠)引体向上使下巴高过横杠;谈话;
|
I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw that. |
当我第一次注意到这一切的时候,我简直不敢相信自己的眼睛。 |
There is no reason why these portraits should look alike. |
这些画像怎么可能如此相像。 |
All we did was look for portraits that had the characteristics of a self-portrait, and look, they are very similar. |
我们只是搜寻有自画像特色的肖像, 但找到的画像却是如此得相像。 |
characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数)
|
Now, are they made in the right order? |
问题是,他们是不是依照正确的时间顺序绘制的呢? |
The young man should be made first. |
年轻人的画像应该是最先绘制的。 |
And as you see here from the years that they were created, it is indeed the case. |
而如果你们看看这些画像创作的年份, 就会发现事实的确如此。 |
They are made in the right order. |
他们是按照正确的时间顺序绘制的。 |
What was the age of Leonardo at the time? Does that fit? |
而达·芬奇在创作这些画像的时候的年龄又是多大呢?和画中人的年龄相符吗? |
Yes it does. He was 33, 38 and 63 when these were made. |
是的,完全相符。他在创作这些画像的时候分别是33岁、38岁和63岁。 |
So we have three pictures, potentially of the same person of the same age as Leonardo at the time. |
也就是说,我们现在这里的三幅画像,有可能是同一个人的画像, 平且画中人和达·芬奇创作这些画像时的年龄是一致的。 |
potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地;
|
But how do we know it's him, and not someone else? |
但我们如何知道这画中之人是达·芬奇而不是别人呢? |
Well, we need a reference . |
我们需要一个可供参考的标准。 |
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用;
|
And here's the only picture of Leonardo that's widely accepted. |
这里是唯一一幅被广泛接受的达·芬奇的照片, |
It's a statue made by Verrocchio, of David, for which Leonardo posed as a boy of 15. |
是韦罗基奥创作的大卫雕像, 由15岁的达·芬奇当作人体模特。 |
statue:n.雕像;塑像;铸像;v.用雕像装饰; posed:v.造成;引起;产生;提问;质询;摆好姿势;(pose的过去分词和过去式)
|
And if we now compare the face of the statue, with the face of the musician, you see the very same features again. |
如果我们把这个雕塑的脸 和之前那个音乐家的脸相比较的话,我们就会再次发现之前那些相同的特征。 |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
|
The statue is the reference, and it connects the identity of Leonardo to those three faces. |
这个雕像就是参考物,将达·芬奇的身份 同那三张脸联系起来。 |
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
|
Ladies and gentlemen, this story has not yet been published. |
女士们、先生们,这个故事暂未发表, |
It's only proper that you here at TED hear and see it first. |
由在座的TED观众们对之先睹为快是再为合适不过了。 |
The icon of icons finally has a face. |
伟人中的伟人终于有了脸孔。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
Here he is -- Leonardo da Vinci. |
他就是──列奥纳多·达·芬奇。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |